Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyvine

UPDATE: Make New Friends: Extreme Makeover *Turkey Edition* #5

tracyvine
16 years ago

{{gwi:1302177}}

Welcome to the Make New Friends Swap for November!

This group is open to EVERYONE....Newbie, Oldie or somewhere in the middle..we want YOU!! :O) Come on in, pull up a chair..and grab some stuffin'!

This month's theme:

EXTREME MAKEOVER: TURKEY EDITION!!

Okay...You are probably thinking..."What the heck is that bunny talking about now?". :O) Well, with me..it could be anything. BUT, this time it's all about....US!!! Pampering US!! This swap will be all about ways to pamper us as we get ready to hit the ground running on or around Thanksgiving! We all now how HARD we work to cook, get the house ready for guests, get the kids/car/husbands ready to travel...You name it!! We are HARD WORKING GALS during the holidays!!

And not to mention the most IMPORTANT event of the holiday season! The DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING SALES!!!!! Woo-Hooo!! :O) Who COULDN"T use a day of pampering after fighting the mobs at the local mall? :O)

So, in this swap we will send our gal pal stuff to de-stress her after the big day! (or to help her get ready for the big day!) Stuff like: Lotion, chocolate, bubble bath, candles, face masks, body butter, chocolate, foot soaks, aromatherapy items, massage oils, homemade goodies, CHOCOLATE ......ANYTHING goes! :O)

But, I do have to lay down some ground rules, to make this fair for everyone!

First, per GW rules, you MUST be 18 (or celebrating an anniversary of that birthday) to participate.

Second, a FLAT RATE SIZED box. In trying to keep it fair, I want everyone to use the box SIZE as a guide. You are more than welcome to send parcel post, and use a plain box...but it MUST be the same size -or larger- as a flat rate box. And it must be completely full. The only reason I say this, is that I don't think it would be fair for someone to send a box packed full of goodies, and only receive a simple bottle of lotion and a bar or soap. :O( Just trying to level the playing field, so everyone knows what to send! :O)

Use your imagination for the contents...Really, ANYTHING goes!

Third, DELIVERY CONFIRMATION is a MUST. Again, this is only to protect YOU & YOUR PARTNER. And to help the hostess (me!) keep track of who has received and sent. Trust me...it is well worth the .65 cents! :O)

Fourth, Cheerful & joyful attitudes!! We want to meet new friends, get to know the old friends better...and just have tons of fun!

Partners have been posted and November 15th was the mailing date. Please make sure that you have posted Delivery Confirmation once your package has been sent to your partner!

If you are someone who likes to peak in and read, please post a HELLO! We love meeting NEW FRIENDS! Come on in and visit with us awhile!

Comments (150)

• sassyd
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Becki, so sorry to hear that sweetie. Just remember, what goes around comes around. He'll get bit in the butt at some point when he least expects it.

Well my break is over, later....

Sassy

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becki, that guy is a jerk. There is no excuse on acting like that. I certainly can understand how both of you feel. We have had customers pull a few stunts with us in our business too. It is so hard to overcome sometimes. It might work out in the long run to have the materials on hand and feeders ready to move when the orders come in. Just expensive to be out of pocket on the materials waiting on orders. I hope both of your days get a lot better and fast. I hate it when the hubster is cranky and sad. Makes me feel terrible for him.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Thanks girls! I wrote him a very heartfelt email that explained just what kind of predicament he put us in, after Dave worked his butt off trying to take care of him. I don't know if he'll read it or not, but it was good to get off my chest, and if he has a human bone in his body, I think he will feel at least a little bit bad after reading my note. We have emailed our banker (he's in meetings all day) and asked him to please either lend us a some money for a few days until Dave gets some feeders delivered and is back with deposits - either that, or not return any checks, just charge us overdrafts. We hope he doesn't choose that option, but he probably will, as he'll make more money off of us that way. But, he has worked with us in the past, and I think he will work with us one way or another. We'll be up a shi* creek if he returns all the checks we have out! Anyway, it's kind of out of our hands now, and we'll just have to go with the flow. Aparrantly this guy called the people already to whom he was to sell these feeders and told them he couldn't get their feeders and he's done dealing with us - and we've already had two of them call us and ask us to deliver them. So, I think it will work out, with a little help and some luck, I guess. And, we do make more on the feeders delivering them ourselves, rather than selling them at dealer cost - so there is a plus side. But, yeah, it was horrible seeing my hubby that down. Plus he fell this morning and landed with his back on a piece of sheet metal, which scraped up his back pretty bad, and just plain hurt. Then he bumped his head pretty hard on corner of angle iron. He's had such a rough day. When I got to the shop this morning, his eyes were all glossy - it's not good to see your hubby that way. Makes me want to cry even now. I've only ever seen him cry one time, and that was at our wedding. But, I know it was close this morning. Oh, and to make matters worse, I forgot to pay the cell bill, so our cells got shut off this morning. No biggie - they were only off for a few minutes, but of course, then we get charged a fee for reconnecting. So, of course he is upset - if I wasn't so involved in all this stuff that won't make much money, I would have remembered, and not cost more money. He thinks I just don't see - these things I choose to do always cost him more than they make. : ( Oh, well! Not giving up now! I'm so close! I have all my truffles dipped (whew - well over 200, though I don't have an exact count yet.) As far as food now, I just need to make a batch or two of fudge, bake 2 batches of cookies that are already mixed up and in the fridge, and make all my mixes (pancake, hot cocoa and muffin.) There are lots of things I had to choose not to make, but that's okay - I can only do so much. Oh, and a batch of cupcakes so I can display them with some little candy things I make on top. Try to make some really cute ones. Then, it's just all the paper and packaging stuff. Oh, and I still have to dip my big cookies. Oh, and get ready for Thanksgiving - make 3 pies tomorrow, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and what else??? Oh, well - I'll get it all done. Still waiting for our butcher person to call and say the chickens are ready - I think she forgot to call, as I would think they are done. But that's fine - the kids should be home when we are ready to start bagging - lucky them (and me, though I'm being sarcastic about them, but not me.)

Hugs!
    Becki

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Becki,
    Wow that guy racked up some bad karma juju there. Your show is on friday right? I'm sure it'll work out dear.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

ok becki!! i'm so praying for you and your dave!! i know what you mean!! sometimes grant can get all outta whack! i feel soooo bad for him then, then i wannna strangle the poor guy for being in the wrong place at the wrong time! and i agree with sassy 100% i know in our family i dont worry too much about some stuff, other than getting really pi**** because people get what they deserve sometimes 10 fold. i actually know of them happening, LOL so thats kinda cool. but nothing like bad just nuasinces. like dudly was making fun of grant, ya know that night he ht a cow, and it exploded all over his car and he had poop in his car and out, on him. he wasn't hurt. everything was fine, but them guys were always funning with each other all the time, grant warned him, he said awww bs. that night. BOOM. litterally bs!! LOL but that was the funny one. anyhow, that was to lighten stuff in a round about way, as wierd as i am, LOL everything will be fine once the innitail shock is over, and ya probably dn't want to do business with a pain like him anyhow. maybe his money was no good. or somethinglike that? i don't know.
    tabor said the movie wasn't scary, just made ya think.
    grant to us to ihop, did i tell ya all this stuff? its been a loooooong day, its been so windy, the wind changed directions and caught the door, and blew talla back, the only thing joy (grants mom) saw was her feet. poor girl got scratched up. she's fine. but joy had to bring me home, now i have to clean my place, i think the mice had a bunch of babies, it smells like mice pee here, i hate that!!!!! errrrr. now i'm gonna be on a strict cleaning diet. LOL this weekend i have to make a new batch of laundry soap,. i decided, i do like this runny liquid soap. i don't have any problems with whites getting darker. all the right words are escaping me. hmmmm..... imagine that!! LOL :'))

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becki, I feel so sad for you guys. I know that this is so rough right now. Fishy is right on! Bad Kharma and JUJU for that bad business man! That was great that the retail customers called you directly. I hope more of them call you!

Is your show this Friday? Holy Moly! I really hope that you sell out of all of your stuff at the show! I would do a jig! Don't know any real jigs so I will have to wing it. I did have a thought in the event that you end up with some extras. I have noticed that our local convenient store has home baked goods at the counters near the register lately. I would stop off after the show and see if they would like to start carrying a few of your truffles for their customers. I tell you if mine had anything near as good as yours I would pick some up every time I stopped in!

The other thing that popped in my head is what are you making to decorate the cupcakes with? Little animals and decorations? I love those things for the kids cakes and all my grocer offers are those silly little birthday letters. If they offered a stock of cute boy and girl fun decorations I would grab those for the kids cakes when I bake them for their birthdays. That would be something I would look for online too! Edible decorations! They really dress up the cakes so much and make everything so much more special for the kids.

I finallized my December Catering Menu for my customer today. They ordered Beef Burgundy with Tenderloin, Garlic Marinated Pork Tenderloin, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Vegetable Medley, Garden Salad and Rolls. I am so happy because they are doing their party 2 whole days earlier this year. They used to always have it on the 23rd and it was so hectic that close to Christmas I felt like having a meltdown. Whew! Thank goodness for small favors!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Thanks girls! Things are looking up - the banker will work with us. It will be tough for a while, but it will work out. Dave starts going out and delivering those feeders tomorrow. He ended up banging his head once more today, so he has two good gashes on his head - right above his hairline. We got a laugh about that, when I asked him if he hit the same corner both times - he said no - I told him good, because that would remind me of that commercial where the woman is running and runs into a car, and then gets up and runs into it again - he always tells me that's something I would do. He laughed and said, yeah it was pretty much like that, and we got a good laugh. He is sleeping now, but I think he is feeling much better about it all.

No, my show isn't Friday, it's Saturday. Thank goodness! I don't know what I'd do if I didn't know I still had Friday to get ready!

I got my two batches of fudge made - just want to have some on display and to taste - maybe try to sell a small pack or two. That's about it for today - just way too much else going on. Tomorrow I have an appointment in the morning, shouldn't take more than an hour. Then, I have to drive to a different town and pick up bolts for Dave - if I don't go tomorrow, the price goes up 29 cents per pound, and if you're buying 100 pounds, that's a sizeable difference. Then I have to pick up the turkey and the last of the Thanksgiving things. Then, hopefully I'll get to making my pies and such. Probably nothing for the show tomorrow, unless I somehow get way ahead! So, that's where I'm at. Thanks for the suggestions, Tracy! I was definitely planning to make some Christmasy cupcake toppers, but I'll do some kid stuff too. Anyway, I'm pooped - I've got to get to sleep! Talk to you all tomorrow!

Michele - I hope Tabor feels better soon, poor thing! That wind can get crazy sometimes! Wow!

Nighters, all!
    Becki

• medontdo
    16 years ago

my goodness ya'll are busy woman!! is that how ya spell that? cuz i'm always wanting to spell it weman or something like that for plural. LOL anyhow goodluck becki!! found out what they meant by didn't meet size requirement. my envi's were too small. have to be at least 4 1/2x5" so i learned something new today! LOL and i changed my livingroom around by myself tonight. its the only way i can make sure everything is totally clean, i used to do that once a month, then eveything stayed clean. but grant got mad cuz i changed it so much. now he gets mad cuz i can't keep it clean enough. it was talla who fell. she's doing alot better. she decided to stay the night at grandma's. so ya know, icecream and all.LOL that's a great idea tracy! and so true! :')) i'm so beat!! my arm is gonna hurt like ya know ** tomarrow!!
    we go to a small church, ya know, we live in a tiny town, they go to the sunday school and wednesday nite school thingi. and of course i go to the wemons thing. we are studying proverbs. i like it. i like alot of different things, ya know, like i like to study with the jehovah's witnesses sometimes and sotimes the mormons, depends on who the person is and their take on things, bu i don't hesitate to say hey! i don't believe in that part. so we might talk about our views and then they might explain their part and i'll explain my view and that's that. my dad kinda almost freaked, cuz he didn't think they were a good influence. blah blah blah. but i admire several factors of them! anyhow i went to left field. that other part was in relation to thier curriculum. i think i want to go with creation, i found it in christian book store, but i found another one its like genisis something or another. i want to check it out. LOL i don't want t clean the back part of the house, i know they nested in the back room and in the water heater closet.
    grant works all day today, then tonight in eskridge, till 1, then at 6 so he has to get up at 4, in topeka, then tomarrow nite in eskridge til 1 again. thank goodness he has thanksgiving off!! :')) ok, enough blabbing for a bit, LOL later!! :'))

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

hmmm my posts didn't show up!!!

Michelle I hope Tabor gets to feeling better soon sweetie.

Becki, you hang in there girlie things will work out and sheesh you keep posting pics and ya might make me a chocolote liker after all cause they look YUMMY!!! You will do great selling those.

Tracy, WHOOOHOOO you go girl! You will do great with your catering.

Sheesh all you talented women in here!!!! Really makes me want to get off ma duff and get talented too!!! April all of your GOODIES look wonderful!!!

Melissa, I am sending you a hug daily with my prayers girlfriend. I couldn't imagine losing my best friend. You are a very strong Lady Melissa, God and your friends will be there for you always.

Ya'll have a great night and good dreams.
    Loves,
    Pixie

• diene
    16 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to All;
    I know I have not been around much, I have been listening just not throwing my two cents in but... I have no idea what happened to Talla but at least I know it was her that hurt herself. Tabor is fine (I think).
    Hope everyone has a wonderful day tomorrow filled with friends, family and fun.
    diene

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Oh, I am so sorry - I meant to say Talla! That was me typing last night, extremely tired! What I was going to say was that I'm glad Tabor liked the movie, and that he wasn't scared, and that I hope Talla feel better soon, and then I was about to fall asleep, so I figured that it was more important to say I hope Talla feels better, and accidentally wrote Tabor, as I was thinking of both of them. Duh! So sorry if I confused anyone!!

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Good Morning Ladies! Medo hope your little one is better this morning. Becki, don't forget what comes around ,goes around, He'll get his one day. Best of luck with your craft show on Sat.
    Pixie thanks on the goodies. I think I just about have a photo of each soap shape loaded on there now. Now I've got to take photo of the little shapes that can be put in the middle of some clear bars. Its a pain to add the cart buttons to each product.Gonna take the few I did add back off. Thinking I will just have form for them to fill out instead.Maybe add buttons if I get bigger? When you guys are shopping online which would you prefer cart or form?

To all the pet lovers, go to greenies.com They are giving away free samples for kitties & poochies. Just have to fill out your address ,pets name & pet's DOB.

How many of you buy frozen turkey? Had mine in fridge for a few days now & it's still hard.Thinking on leaving in sink overnight. I'm putting it on the smoker in the am as in 3am or so. That way we should be eating around 1-2. Then putting up tree later that evening.Well gotta start on the dessert for tomorrow. As no one here(but me) likes the normal pies,gotta hunt up the recipe for Choc Cake with White Choc Filling & Choc Ganache on the net.Found it in Chocoltier(sp) magazine years ago. It is hubbie's fave cake.Lost it somewhere during the move.
    Later....April/dirt

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

April that chocolate ganache cake sounds fantastic! YUM! I like to have a shopping cart when I shop online. Did you set up a new site or did you re-do the first one? I would love to peak at all the new pictures that you added! I buy frozen turkeys and usually have to stick them in a sink full of cold water for the last 12 hours. Just keep adding fresh cold water to the sink and it will stay nice and safe.

Diene, Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Enjoy your day tomorrow! I hope you have fun with all the relatives and friends! Talla got blown back by the wind when she was opening a door. She got knocked around a bit and has some scratches and bruises. I hope she is feeling much better today.

Pixie, Thanks! I love doing this one group's Holiday Luncheon. It is a woodworking business full of guys. No matter how full I fill their chafers they always wipe it out. I should just buy some troughs! Hungry Men!!!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Tracy - I meant to say how happy I am for you that your party got moved up a bit! That is awesome! Wish I could come to one of your events sometime! Your food sounds SO YUMMY!!!

I am SO glad I ordered our fresh turkey where I did this year! I went to pick it up today, and for a 21.9 pound turkey, I only paid $21.24!!! I was shocked - they had quoted me a price of $1.29 per pound, but only charged me 97 cents! How cool is that?? I wonder if you buy a larger turkey, the price goes down a bit?? Anyway, the place where we have always gotten them in the past (a meat market rather than a grocery store like I did) was getting $1.89 per pound. So, that would have been $41.39! I saved over $20 on ONE TURKEY!!! Woo hoo! And this grocery store always has very high quality meats, so I have no qualms about the quality of this turkey!! Wow - wish I had shopped around a bit in years past!

Okay, enough chatting for a while. Back to work! I've got a bunch to do today, so don't expect me back for a while!

Hope everyone is having a great day getting ready for Thanksgiving!!!

Becki

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Myspace Graphics at WishAFriend.com

WISHING YA'LL A VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Smiles,
    Pixie

• medontdo
    16 years ago

thanks guys! i think she's fine! i don't dare call, or mom'll have a heck of a day with her crying, she's a big time momma's girl when she's away!!. grant said in topeka its snowing already! i so pray he makes it home safely. i know the ground isn't cold enough to freez. but the ground is wet. he made it to work on time!! yay!1! so he just has tonight and then tomarrow he can rest if he wants!!
    definately cart shopping here. so much easier.
    things i have to be thankful for:
    1: GOD
    2:my family (my babes,hubby, then the rest, church family) ;"))
    3:my friends including my round robin friends!
    everysingle day that i wake up that get to make my very own choices and do whatever i want to do whenever i want to, how ever i want to, ya know all the w's! i am so thankfull that i can! :'))
    about all the things GOD has saved us from that we didn't know about! i'm so very thankful for them! :')) very thankful that i met all of you! each and every one of you holds something special, its funny cuz some of you wont' say anything, and then one day you will, then you'll amaze me what comes out. LOL
    or another person i'll have figured one way and then all of a sudden i'll see you in another light. LOL
    so i'm so thankfull to see ya'll in other lights!
    and talla's a real trooper! no doubt she's fine, a few scratches are nothing to her. LOL
    lots of love, medo :'))
    hmmm....sounds dumb but its dreary out today, and i don't feel so well, my stomach is upset for some reason. ugh!!!
    what are ya'll thank full about?

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

I do the buy 1 get 1 free turkey deals, and load up the freezer. Thawing: grab a clean 5 gal bucket (hardware store sells them empty for a few bucks). Put bucket in bathtub, then turkey breast side down (easier to use the feet to lift it out), fill with water, and let it thaw that way overnight (change water every 3 or so hours while awake), after about 8-12 hours it's all thawed and you can make hubby dig out the giblets. I also do the turkey in the bag, stuffing in it's own cassarole dish, and toss some fresh herbs in the turkey cavity to steam into the meat. Since thanksgiving is just mr fishy, the boys & I we are very low-key.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

fishy, i would love your help on unit study (sometime) on fairies/princesses for talla, if you wouldn't mind helping me, please, that has math and language in there as well as the other subjects, i'm not too sure how to do these. i did find a site that shows the kindergarteners how to do fractions. i was like WOW!!
    i love the cranberry fruit salad, joys family makes it! ahhh, one of my favorites! and my mom makes the sweet potatoes w marshmallows i could eat allll of it!! but joy makes sweet potatoe pie! its soooo good! i sure hope you are doing ok buny! i know this seasons will be a little hard, but i'll pray really hard for you! lots of love to ya!
    i felt better after grant got home from work and then tabor called me to say hi mommy! i love and miss you! and then talla wanted to talk to me, she just wanted to tell me i'm the best mommy evr. LOL hmmmm. grandma musta made em work hard! LOL so now i can get some stuff done, LOL we got an inch of snow on the ground. how crazy is that? it was in the 70's yesterday! well good luck on all your dinners and such going great tomarow! hope it all works out well!! :')) God Bless :'))

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Medo, that was so lovely! I think I will come back a little later when I am not swamped and post some of the things I am thankful for, like you. I am so thankful that you posted that and made me stop for a minute to think about what I am thankful for in my life. There are so many things! I am Thankful for all of my friends here on the forums, I am thankful that I have a wonderful family, I am thankful that I have a Mom that loved to let me help her make thanksgiving dinner every year when I was little even if I was probably more hinderance than help, I am thankful for all of my gifts that I use every day and the ones I don't use often enough, I am thankful for having God in my life, I am thankful for my gardens that give me so much pleasure, I am thankful for all of these awesome gardeners who have opened my eyes to so many possibilities and who have taught me so much! I guess now was the time to give thanks! LOL!

I hope you are feeling better quick, Michele! No achey tummy tomorrow, ya here! Need to be able to stuff down all that food!

Becki, that is a great deal! Maybe the price went down because of how close thanksgiving is and they don't want to be stuck with fresh turkeys! Yikes!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Hi Girls,
    I hope everyone has had a good week so far? I know we've all been pretty busy getting ready for Thanksgiving. (yum) I made 6 different pies today, and have more to do tomorrow...plus turkey, brisket & sides...UGH. :O) I may be too tired to eat!! (no, never would that happen. LOL)

Thanks for all the well wishes for yesterday. It went fairly well, I suppose..as much as those things can go, anyway. The service was very short, but I got to see a lot of friends that I hadn't seen since high school (about 12 years ago). It's amazing to see how much everyone has grown up, and trying to recognize everyone was a challenge.
    Emotionally, I am drained....physically, I am drained....Guess I"m just drained all around, huh? I haven't eaten since last week sometime, just a few nibbles here and there (I don't recommend the grief diet. It sucks) and haven't slept well, for all the nightmares I've had. I suppose that's how I deal with things...I don't know if that's normal or not. Hmm.
    Melissa's kids seem to be doing OK. Her oldest 2 girls are being taken away to their dad's house. (she was remarried, and her second husband, who actually raised these girls, had never adopted them...so has no legal claim to them) But they seem to be accepting it pretty well. They are amazing girls, the oldest is so much like Missy, in actions & even the way she speaks...her personality. It's eery, really. Funny the things you never realize until something like this happens. I've had to stop myself several times from calling her by her mom's name.

Anyway.

Becki, those truffles look fabulous! (again!) I'm sending you lots of good luck for your big day! I hope you come home empty handed! (and with a full wallet!) Oh, and the girls are right about that bad JuJu for that ugly guy......Just you wait, his car will get 3 flats, in the rain. And his cell phone won't work, so he'll have to walk to the gas station to call a tow truck, getting spashed by numerous 18wheelers along the way, and the tow truck will take 3 hours to get there, and then he'll have to ride up front with a guy named Earl that thinks he's cute..so he'll be fighting advances from him, and slapping his hand off his thigh...and when he gets home, he'll find his toilet overflowing onto his white carpet, so he'll have to call Roto-Rooter, and he'll need a new septic, which is thousands of $$$, but he's broke, and his credit cards will all be denied.

Or something like that. :O)

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

I agree with Tracy Michelle, Thank you for that beautiful post and thank you for reminding us (me especially) to realize what we have to be THANKFUL for. I am very thankful for having God in my life, Thankful for my wonderful family of guys (ok so I complain alot, but hey I'm me) I am also very thankful of the talents that God has given me. I am very Thankful for the AWESOME friends I have met here that put up with all of my gardening questions. I am also thankful for the "kiddos" even though they love "gardening after I plant things" just to investigate what was soo special it had to be put in the ground! (Nopers it wasn't a bone or treat). There is too much to list on what I am thankful for.

I have been gathering my candy, cookie and other gift recipes so I can get started doing the Christmas kitchen stuff. Alot of the recipes are in my head already, just need to gather the things needed to make them. (Anddd pray that memory lapse doesn't happen)

Becki you did great girlie girl on the Turkey!!!

Still waiting for the "cold" front to come through, so far its down to 57 here.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Remind me never ever ever to get on the bad juju side of Bunny!!!!

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

One more thing, I am thankful our Bunny is back. I am glad things went as well as they could yesterday. I must have thought about you a thousand times throughout the day. Start taking care of yourself. You are going to get so run down that you are going to catch every bug under the sun. The nightmares are normal. I went through that really bad after one of the kids I babysat when he was little was killed in Iraq. He used to play with Ted, he is only a couple years older. I felt like I had lost one of my own. I was surprised at how hard it hit me. It does get better. I had to remember what calms me most before I sleep every night. I pray. I give it to God, I ask Him for help. Sometimes I just lay there and whine to Him, like He has nothing better to hear about than little old me's problems. It really helps me. It may sound silly to you guys but I used to have nightmares every night growing up and into my adult years. Prayer is the only way that I have gotten to sleep like a normal person. It has been amazing for me.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Tracy, thats the only way I get to sleep now. I still have nightmares and imagine I always will.
    Bunny the grief process is different in every person but nightmares, eating changes, sleep changes, they are all normal. At this time while its still very fresh anything would be considered normal. Even after a few years anything is normal considering, grief has no rules, plans, or designs, each person deals with it his or her own way. I could give you tons of advice but it wouldn't help because its from my own experience and I can't know how you are feeling or what you are going through (other than what you tell us). Losing someone you love hurts deeply and there is not one other person on this earth that can know how you feel inside. All we can do is offer our shoulder and let you know that we are here for you and we are thinking and praying about/for you but most of all... We love you. You do need to take care of yourself though cause like Tracy said its very easy to get so run down that everything under the sun will try to get to you.

Love you dearly ma Hunny Bunny
    Pixie

• medontdo
    16 years ago

its so funny how we all say it may sound silly or wierd, but as i read all the posts, i think about when i was growing up, and wn some of the closer people have died and i bet all of us have done the same thing,when jimi died, i cried all the time, after everybody was done, i finally broke down. or at night. but i'd be in a big ball. and grant would just hold me. and when i was at my lowest i could feel a warmth i never felt befor, holding my hand, no one was there. but i felt better and i didn't want to let go. but m point is, that in some ways we are all alike! its so wierd! LOL
    i agree!!note to self!! don't get on bunny's bad side! hurry, get them seeds out!!! LOL :'))
    and sometimes the only way i can sleep, like you tracy, i have to fall asleep praying, then i can sleep like a baby!!
    and my "gardening" LOL i'm still learning, but i'm so thank ful for that! and the foresight (is that the right word here) that GOD gives me for things. without that i'd be in so much trouble!! LOL
    man becki! you did good!
    and fishy, if you and the boys aren't gone, then just because ya'll are vegetarian's don't mean thanksgiving is for mr.fishy only. heck!! LOL
    joy got out the yard stick and the kids did 6 pages of work. hmmmmm. that's sooo cool!! i get them to do that in one day, but alll day! LOL sometimes more, dpends on what they want to do. LOL and if cappicino is at the end!! LOL

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Oh, girls - I am so thankful that I have so far not had to deal with the greiving process. The closest person I have lost so far is my grandma, and I lost her long before she passed. She had Alzheimers (sp?) and slipped into it pretty badly already when I was 17, and passed when I was 21. Unfortunately I didn't see her much after she went into the hospital, as it was incredibly uncomfortable, and I cry about that sometimes still. I was just too immature I guess. I remember when I went to see her after I got pregnant with Dylan. She started laughing at me and said, "Your mom told me something about you!" and laughed like she was making fun of me, and it really hurt to see my grandma like that. I know now that she didn't know any better, and it was her way of dealing with it. But I think I distanced myself right then. She wasn't the grandma I knew anymore. Okay, enough - I am thankful that I haven't had to deal with that yet.

I am also thankful for my family. My family here at home, and my extended family wherever they are. I am thankful for my friends - you all here! My life would be so much different without you all - you make it so much richer! I am thankful that I didn't end up in the ditch when I hit slush on the road earlier and thought I was going to - I'm thankful that I my husband had drilled into my head that when I can't stop to throw the car into low gear! I'm thankful that the lady at the McDonalds drive thru this morning was kind enough to notice and tell me that I had a very low tire, so I was able to go put air into it before I drove another 30 miles between towns! I'm so thankful for my home. I love my home, even with all it's faults. It's ours (and the bank's...) I'm thankful for flowers to brighten up my life, and I'm thankful for snow that makes my children so excited to go out and play in it! I am thankful that I learned how to cook, even though it was never really taught to me. I am thankful that God has given me so much and continues to do so every day. And I am thankful for halfway quiet times like this to reflect on what I am thankful for. I am thankful that my show is on Saturday and is almost over! I think I am ready. I am thankful that my husband, as begrudingly as it has been, has allowed me to try it! I am thankful that he just called home and told me that even though he reamed me a little while ago for trying to make too many pies, he changed his mind and said 2 pumpkin pies would be okay, because they are good for you. I am thankful that I could go on and on in this post about things that I am thankful for, but I need to get back to other things now. : ) Oh, and I am thanful for Michele starting this! :)

Becki

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Ya'll are just sooo AWESOME! Just want ya'll to know that.

After a consideral (sp) amount of thinking I have decided that this may be the most EXPENSIVE THANKSGIVING for me! BECAUSE.... AFTER hearing about what all ya'll are fixing for dinner tomorrow I am going to visit each one of ya'll and eat!!!! (Think I won't gain a few pounds???)

Everything sounds sooo yummy!!! Now I kinda feel ashamed for taking the easy way out tomorrow and going out to a restaurant to eat. Sheesh I know it won't be near as YUMMY as the goodies ya'll are fixing!!!! Oh Well.

Ya'll just truly brighten my day.
    Pixie

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Come on up, Miss Pixie! I ain't too far from you...just a few hundred miles!!

Lessee....we've got a beef brisket & a 22lbs turkey, that hubby is going to smoke tomorrow morning. (poor fella has to get up at 4 am and stand in the 20 degree weather, being pelted with snow...DARN!) LOL
    I made a caramel pecan cheesecake, peanut butter fudge pie (for the kids), pumpkin pie, blackberry cobbler, banana pudding (ick, but hubby loves it!)blueberry pie, apple pie, pecan pie...just this morning! And tomorrow, I'll be making Mac & cheese, green bean casserole, honey glazed carrots, grilled corn on the cob, stuffin, rice & broccoli cheese casserole, gravy, garlic mashed potatoes, hot rolls....and I think that's it. Besides the cranberry sauce, of course.

UGH, I'm tired already just THINKING about making all that stuff! (oh, and I've got to work tomorrow night, too. Yuck.)

Oh, and did I mention that the number went up from 22 to 27??!

HELP!!!

But seriously...I AM truly thankful that I HAVE a family to cook for. That, I think, is my biggest blessing. I've realized how short life is, and I want to be thankful for every minute that I have with my family & friends. My kids are growing up so fast...I can't stand it. :O( And even though I'll be dead tired tomorrow (heck, I am now!), I am going to love having my family there. Even if they DO get annoying sometimes! :O)

Missy's husband said something that I think was very poignant (sp)...when he was in the hospital chapel, telling his children about their mother passing away...(and I don't know HOW he got through that moment..honestly..) He told them..."This is not the end for her. This is her new beginning. And someday, you too, will have your new begininng." It just breaks your heart, but at the same time..you think.....what a comfort.

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Becki, That guy will get everything hb mentioned, plus a rattlesnake will bite his privates. boy do those truffels look good, I live in the seattle area home of starbucks so we have coffee like those pictured daily. I drink a grande vanilla mocha with whipped cream. Fishy glad you liked your box. happy thanksgiving to you all, carol

• klickitat
    16 years ago

Sorry, girls. I'm here. My box went out Sunday (drop box at the P.O.). I had some post-op complications which seem to be resolved now. School also has me bogged down. Ugh.

I'll be sure to post more often. :)

• medontdo
    16 years ago

that's ok pixie! on the bright side!when ya get home, no dishes to do, no kids to run after, or family members stinking up the bathroom! LOL but then again, i feel so bad for ya, no left overs, LOL but then again, no turkey left in the fridge for a month or two til ya figured where ya put the darned thing, LOL
    i did that, then grant cleaned out the fridge, he was mad at the world. so he just started that, and heck who was i to stand in the way of progress?? so anywho he found the steak i was looking for that i cookedand it actually tasted good!! LOL
    i think the radio station misses tabor, LOL he's at grandmas' so he hasn't called in to request like 3 songs today. LOL he he he so funny!!
    ok, anyone know of any good bear claw recipes? like the ones' ya get at the storei love reading about what wht ya'll have to be thankfull for!
    i am so glad your ok becki! and that dave said its ok. are ya one of them gals that ya are gonna do it even if he don't like it, but feel but feel better if he gives ya the ok? just curious. cuz i still can be that way but am trying very very very hard to work with grant more to be like a family. or as they say more submissive to my husbnd. LOL
    how many people are going shopping friday? not me, i'm gonna be home, where its nice and warm except when the wind blows!! LOL

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Oh, No...Nuh-Uh....No shopping for the bunny!! I'm dreading even going to the grocery store! Yikes!!
    I will very DEFINITELY be conked out on the couch Friday morning. :O)

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marie, Thank you! I got a surprise when my oldest came home with your box under his arm tonight. The postman put it on the doorstep and snuck away without ringing the bell! I was so excited to open my box of goodies!

Here is what Miss Marie sent:

Wild Huckleberry Lotion and Wild Huckleberry Crock Candle, Mini Manicure Kit, Glitter Nail File, Pumpkin Spice Potpouri, Sage & Citrus Glycerin Soap, Snowmen Kitchen Towel, Pot holder and Oven Mitt, An adorable crocheted doily, a blue rose cross stitched cachet bag, a Watering Can Garden Stake with cute lady bugs on it that says Butterflies Welcome, New Copper Plant Markers with Pencil! I needed these sooooooo bad Marie! The cutest Santa's Sleigh earrings and a matching pin/pendant, and a Fridge Note Jotter that has a cute fireside scene with Christmas stockings hung all around it!

Marie, thank you so much for everything! I love it all! I hope your trip was safe and that your visit with your sister's family goes great! You are all still in my prayers!

oh boy! Veeja, Thank you! Bunny had me near to tears again with what the kiddies father told them when their Mom passed away and there you are posting about rattlesnakes and privates! You made me laugh so hard and then the tears started anyway.

Pixie-baby, come on up! If you walk the country getting a sample at all our houses you won't gain an ounce!

Medo, Nah, you aren't being submissive! Just figuring out what works and what doesn't. We all do that, even the men folk! LOL! Ed's favorite line is "yes dear". He is such a goof, he only says it to tweak my nose.

I am exhausted. Most of the food is prepped, the turkey is in the sink having his spa soak. The bathroom floors are scrubbed. The chocolate rum cream pie is in the fridge (holy moly does the the filling taste good!). I am nearly ready! Now I am going to go konk out.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

OK First things FIRST... I's WON"T be walkin!!!! Maybe driving from house to house but after going out to the thermometer that I stuck on the window of my truck, IN my sleep tank (ok its the "manbeather" tank thing) and my boxers and slippers, THEN reading that its just around 55 here but sheesh that wind was COOLLLDDD!!! I AIN'T walkin NORTH .... I may be blonde but I know that my truck has a heater in it so I ain't stupid! '

Thats an awesome box Tracy!!!! Great job Marie, I just love reading about these boxes.

Between Bunny's curses and Carols Rattlesnake bites (ouchie I am happy I am female talk about a "BLUE" Christmas) I think that man is done for Becki!

Sleep tight and have a very Blessed Thanksgiving Ya'll.

PSSSS.... I am stuffed just reading about all these yummies! I DO like the PIES (thats my one downfall on sweets!!! that and dark chocolate rich brownies!)

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Happy Thankgiving, Everyone!!!!

And Pixie, you are more than welcome to join us, whether you walk, drive, fly, ride on a train, a bus, a horse, a camel...

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

glitter-graphics.com
    I thankful for the friends & family God has blessed us with. Hope everyone has a wonderful turkey day. I really am thankful for the rain that's falling. Really I am! We been in a drought for quite sometime now,but....I can't smoke my turkey!!!!It's been raining ALL night,& has not let up. Looks like I'm gonna have to put it in the oven.Not what I wanted to do. Plus just checked & I can't find my sage for the dressing(aka stuffing to you Yankees)!!Nor could I find the recipe for that cake. Now I'm really thankful that it's going to be just us 5 here. Was feeling depressed about it ,but not now. I would be running around like chicken with my head cut off about now!

Tracy, I redid the other site ,plus got a domain name.No ads. Paid for the service instead of using the free one. Now I've got to go back & edit the soap photos,cause it takes a few mins for them all to load.You are more than welcome to take a peek at them though. It's been a learning process, let me tell ya! Now I know why people pay to have someone design them a site.LOL!
    Becki,if you want I can add link to your site on mine. Just let me know what it is.If anyone else has one just send to me ,will gladly put them up.

Brother in law & his new girlfriend are coming to visit
    Dec 28-Jan 4. So at least some family for New Years.This will be a little strange....the ex sis in law is my best friend.Will be odd not seeing them together and someone new. Kids will probally ask questions, I will try to prepare them before they arrive. Taylor wanted to know if the ex was still her aunt. I told her yes & she always will be.Well I gotta go,hoping Kroger is open,must get sage. I can settle for baked bird,but I gotta have my dressing!
    Later....April/dirt

Here is a link that might be useful: April's Attic

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

April, I feel terrible that you couldn't smoke your Turkey today! What a bummer! Oh Well, at least you will have your stuffing! LOL! I checked out your site and it looks great! I love the way you have it designed. It looks very elegant! Who needs a webdesigner? If I ever get around to building one you're hired!

I hope everyone has a great thanksgiving! Eat too much, laugh till you cry and toast to all the good things in life!

Tracy

• medontdo
    16 years ago

another one i'm thankfull for! all the stuff i get to learn from ya'll!! ;'))
    its in the 30's here today, and windy. (((brrrrr))) and its gonna be in the teens tonight.
    that's a pretty cool box ya got there tracy!
    i'd tell ya to come up here trina but hey sweetie, ya'd freeze your tootsie's off!!! let me tell ya! if it wasn't for my babes already being at mom's i'd probably stay home today and do our own. LOL i have a roaster and stuff.
    april i'll have to look at your new websight, i know its cool anyhows! LOL
    there ya go toast the good things in life!!
    grant made it home safely last night! no more working basically 2 days straight. that's crazy! and too much driving! lots of love to ya'll give those family members lots of hugs!!! :')) medo

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Happy day ladies!

glitter-graphics.com

I'm thankful for you all of course, right now I'm thankful that it's just our little family today (funny thing but "turkey at the veggie's house" doesn't appeal to ppl.) Yes there's a 14lb turkey in the fridge, the kids have the option of eating it if they'd like, for me some black bean and corn soup, and then the normal side dishes, green bean cassarole (with cream of celery instead), stuffing made with veggie broth, a giant veggie/dip platter (instead of lunch we munch veggies all afternoon), sweet potatoes with marshmello goo (mr fishy's), pumpkin pie, cheesecake apple pie. Tofurkey is ok, but i'd rather have a soup than a fake meat, (deal with mr fishy, he respects I don't eat meat, I respect he doesn't eat fake meat)
    Med princess & fairy unit? sure I'll have some stuff for you tomorrow. ok girls, gotta go chop apples for the stuffin (here dressing goes on salad, not turkeys).

• klickitat
    16 years ago

I'll be shopping tomorrow! No way will I be outside in the cold at 4 a.m. First store will open at 7 a.m. Of course, I'll need to be there early enough to get the toys on the list.

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Hey girls, just wanted to say I hope you all had a great day with your families, the Sassy is off to bed. Been a long few days.

Sassy

• diene
    16 years ago

Good Morning All;
    I have a very strange story to tell. Last evening when I was putting away some of the stuff I had used for Turkey Day (I store lots of stuff in the basement), I came across an amarylis that someone gave me as a gift last year. It was still in the box and so I decided to throw it out. DH was horrified at the thought and suggested I try to grow it. Amazingly enough, the bulb was still viable and actually starting to grow in the box. So I went looking for a pot to put it in and instead found an amarylis from two years ago still in the pot that was also starting to sprout. So I dragged that one upstairs and watered it. I then found another pot with some soil in it and when I put it on the kitchen counter I noticed something was sprouting in that also. I watered that well and a stake identifying the plant as a calla lily surfaced. Not sure if that is what it is but I am letting it grow. So now I have two amarylis and a calla lily on the windowsill of the bay window in the dining room. I will keep you informed of the progress of these. Hope everyone else is having neat finds too.

diene

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Wednesday I received my box from Sassy! Yay!!! This is what she sent:

Vanilla Honey Cooling Butter, body lotion, bubble bath & shower gel
    Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Peppermint Bath Salts, Glycerin Soap, 2 votive candles & holder, scrubber brush/pad, on a cute little stand.
    Eye Shadow (Large, like 68 colors!! My 14yr old daughter snuck that to her room)
    Body Massager
    4 tea lite candles
    Some Berry candies (kids gobbled them up!)
    Caramel Apple Cheeseball/Dessert mix
    Large candle, Apple Maple (yummm!)
    Holiday cupcake cups & Fall Candy Sprinkles
    Pkg. of Tissue Paper Sheets (for gifts)
    Silicone basting brush
    tulip stickers
    An angel girl figurine, dressed in blue coat/hat (adorable)
    Thanksgiving Day card, very thoughtful message
    and a very pretty wall hanging made of silver wiring, with colored glass (green leaves, blue tulips, and violet butterfly) its hanging in my kitchen for now.

Thank You sooo much Sassy for a wonderful box!! I hope I didn't leave anything out and I'm sorry I didn't post sooner, got behind with Thanksgiving cooking/baking/shopping! lol
    Have a great week end everyone!!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

that is soooo cool diene! i got an amaryllis lions tail a few weeks ago and it is finally starting to sprout! you are very lucky!! LOL how was your thanksgiving?
    ours was fine! we went to his mom's and we stayed for a bit then he wanted to come home early, what's with that??? LOL :')) but all in all we had a good time, tbor had to show off his texas hold em game. and of course some family members fom like 3 hrs away heard tabor on the radio requesting a song for us after our anniversary. LOL it was funny.she said there's lik only one tabor around here!!! LOL it was nice to see people you'll get to see once in a great while. hmmmm..... that don't sound nice. i mean it alot nicer!! my screwed up wording again! i'm sure you know what i mean though!! :')) that's what i missed! mom's cheese ball!! but your package sounds awesome! now i'm hungry again!!LOL :'))

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi girls! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I am fairly exhausted after all that cooking and cleaning! Company stayed till a little after midnight last night! I guess that is a sign that they had a good time! Yay! We laughed a whole bunch, told all kinds of stories! The kids had a blast with my cousin and his new bride. She is a kindergarten teacher and has a wonderful way with the kids! They were showing off all of their math skills and papers from school. Cracked me up at how they love to show their smarts!

Karen, Wow! That sounds like a great box of pampering that Sassy sent to you. I am sure you are going to be taking advantage of it after your big day yesterday! I know I could use a massage and a soak at this moment.

I was blown away at the brie appetizer that I made yesterday. I am not a huge fan of brie but let me tell you guys that when you add a little bit of apricot preserves on top and wrap it in pastry, warm it up in the oven for a bit, it is phenomenal stuff! YUM!

Becki, I am wishing that I had another jar of your grande marnier cranberry preserves on my table yesterday! I have never seen the relatives hit the cranberry sauce so hard! They were over the moon for it! I told them that you made it and they all asked me to tell you how amazing it was! I thought my Aunt was going to stick her face in the jar and lick it clean!!!!! I LOVED IT! It was soooo good on the Turkey! I am ordering a big jar of it from you the next time I host Thanksgiving! Count on it!

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

I hope Everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I know I did! I'm still full today!

I received Pixie's pampering package on Wednesday and I really LOVE it!
    Pixie sent so much stuff, I'll be pampering myself up until New Years, LOL!

Bed, bath and beyond flower motiff mug & coaster (perfect for my green tea), 4 green tea candles (that smell yummy), Berry mint foot cream & soak & scrub. Terry cloth, and bath pillow, scrubbie/matching shower comb, Avon naturals shower gel (cucumber melon), Avon hand cream, moisture therapy lip balm, Reese's lip gloss, Natural bristle nail brush, Pumice sponge, Avon Gardenia shower gel, 2 nail files/Avon, moisturizing hand glove, Gel eye mask, moisturizing foot socks!

Pixie,
    Thank you so much for such a nicely filled box! With ALL products that I LOVE and use!
    Pixie really knows how to pack a box! Wow! ;)

Hugs,
    Deb

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Awww Deb, You are very much Welcome! I am sooo glad ya liked your pampering box. I really had alot of fun. I am happy you had a great Thansgiving.

I am glad everyone had a great Thanksgiving, I know I did.

Smiles,
    Pixie

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

I think that's everyone now, do we have outstanding boxes? I'm writing up the rules for the holiday swap now, and I'll post it b4 bed.

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Fishy, I think we are nearly finished. I am posting the updated list for Bunny because I think she will be offline till Sunday night. If I am off on the list someone give me the heads up and I will redo! I can't wait to see the new Post! I love sending things for Christmas!

Pixie to Debbya - RECEIVED
    Debbya to Wynative - RECEIVED (Marie is out of town so will open when she gets back)
    Wynative to Tracy - RECEIVED
    Tracy to Klick - RECEIVED
    Klick to Pixie - SENT
    Fishy to Becki - RECEIVED
    Becki to Sassy - RECEIVED
    Sassy to Kalena - RECEIVED
    Kalena to Dirt - RECEIVED
    Dirt to Letha - RECEIVED
    Hazel to Veeja - RECEIVED
    Veeja to Fishy - RECEIVED
    Letha to Hazel - RECEIVED

Diene, I think that was an amazing couple of finds you had in your basement! What a nice surprise for you. Keep us posted! Can't wait to see your blooms!

Pixie, That was an awesome box you sent to Deb! Wow!

Deb, My feet ache so bad right now from all my running around, I am just dreaming of a good foot soak!

Tracy

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Hi, everyone! I hope everyone is having a great day!!! I am incredibly busy, but just wanted to post at least once today!

Thank you Tracy - I am SO happy to hear that you all loved the cranberry jam stuff! I have to tell you I made your homemade cranberry sauce yesterday, and my hubby LOVED it! He and I were the only ones that ate it - we always are! But, he went on and on about how it was way better than canned, and way better than any other homemade anyone has tried! Then, the stuffing! Girl - that was wonderful!! I did add a half pint of mushrooms that I canned a while back, and chopped them up very small so the kids wouldn't really notice them. That went really well too! Dave said it was the best ever, and my brother-in-law loaded half his plate with it! William is the only kid here that is a stuffing eater, and he loved it too! (So did I!!!)

I am getting close to finished. Not really, but it's nice to say! I have all the chocolates and candy and cookies packaged. Just have to cut and package the fudge yet. Make labels and stick them to all the jars of preserves. Make the cocoa mix, muffin mix and pancake mix, and make all those labels and package them. Umm, make an order form and price sheet, make an inventory, and I'm sure much more, but that's all I can think of right now. I am not going to bring the cupcakes I'm afraid - I've just run out of time to finish those. I got some baked, but I don't have time to make frosting and make the decorations, so hopefully some people will check out my website, where I will post some of those soon, I hope! Anyway, gotta get back to work - I want some sleep tonight! : )

Hugs,
    Becki