Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panhandle_seed_swap

UPDATE: 2014 O.B.F. Member's Season of Sharing Swap Part 2

Your seeds are due to be MAILED ON or BEFORE Nov. 24th. Take your time and enjoy the process. :) Thank you!

Please put your name on the seed packet as the giver. Also, if the variety is for a specific person, please put their name on it, somehow. Your extra Christmas gift tags would be great for this!!!

Please send specifically NAMED seed varieties.

Please DON'T send seeds that are saved from Hybrid seeds.

Please make sure each named variety is neatly packaged.

Thank you and have FUN!!!

Current List of Participants and Their "General Wants":

Sheri (Panhandle_Seed_Swap)
1. I am planning a big butterfly garden.
2. I like OP or Heirloom Zinnias.
3. I would like to try your absolute FAVORITE vegetable or flower from your garden this year.

Annie (canyonwind)
1) self sowers but not invasive
2) Productive red/pink tomatoes that love heat (indeterminate tomatoes)
3) Productive summer vegetables (ie., zucchini, pablano pepper, eggplant)

Nicole (bluee19)
1. Self-sowers, not invasive.
2. Choose a seed that is a perrenial but has to start with the first letter of your name. For example, Melinda first letter starts with M, any perrenial with the letter M.
3. Asiatic/oriental lily seeds

Erica (EricaBraun)
1) Your Most Bizarre -- Your strangest, most unique, or rare edible or flower.
2) Rare Culinary Herbs
3) Medicinal Herbs

Susan (skyblue52)
1. Love annual flowers!
2. Lettuce - will try anything once!
3. Perennial Flowers

Vina (flowergirl34)
1. Morning Glories...any and all are welcome
2. Herbs, herbs, herbs...love to try new kinds
3. Anything you'd like me to try...flowers or veggies...love to try new plants.

Melinda (ilovefarac)
1. Love my tomatoes!
2. Pink for memory and breast cancer garden!
3. Pots for patio!

Connie, "Nonna" (NonnaG)
1. Squash
2. Medicinal Herbs
3. Flowers I Have a few planters at the shop that I would love to fill. Entrance planters must have been a thing in the 50s.

Margo (smitties)
1. I would like yellow flowers of any kind.
2. Pink flowers of any kind.
3. anything you think would be special.

Promise (pmb2005)
Memorial Garden For Her Mom:
1. Blue - her favorite color
2. Yellow - Yellow roses were her favorites and she looked good in yellow.
3. White - Now she's our angel.
If there were a Rod Stewart flower, it would be in there! lol

Shirley (brittneysgran)
1. Black flowers and White flower seeds (want to do a black and white flower bed).
2. Sweet Williams
3. Anything Variegated

Mary E. (cottonwood468) -
1. That Bingo list sounds good, any of those flowers.
2. Radishes or Beets
3. If butterflies like it, I like it.

Jasmine (jas_il)
1. Any Veggie/herb (ie. Basil, Lettuce, Pepper, Beans)
2. Any Flowers (i.e Hollyhock, Dianthus, Dahlia, Petunia, etc.)
3. Any Container flowers or trailing plants for patio

Dawn (dmkelly)
1. Fun plants (annuals or veggies)
2. Your favorite garden plant or something that describes you (I would be a snapdragon... a little wild, a little mouthy, very playful)
3. Something for my humming birds and butterflies

Remember to take a peek at everyone's GardenWeb Want List as well. :)

Sheri

TODAY'S BINGO WORDS:
YARROW
PANSY

BINGO WORDS SO FAR:
COCKSCOMB
DAHLIA
FOXGLOVE
ZINNIAS
CANTEBURY BELLS

Recipe Raffle Entries:
Nicole - 2
Erica - 2
Mary - 2
Sue G - 2
Dawn - 2
Melinda - 2
Margo - 2
Nonna - 2
Margo - 2
Annie - 2
Vina - 2

Please check-out the previous thread (link below) for some yummy recipes that have been entered in the raffle!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: O.B.F. Member's Season of Sharing Part 1

Comments (150)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sheri, seeds went out today. They should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. I will say todays PO did not approve of your address...huge deal about your address. Not nice I know, but I can't stand the USPS!!

Tracking#

Margo, brining roads...I only know about brining a turkey...and black ice, I have never been on it, much less near it. Please be safe!

Promise, thanks so much for all your work on the OBF membership lists. Nicely done. You had a lot of us to please!!! Very much appreciated!!

Happy weekend to all. Stay warm and be safe!

Annie

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

As per local news tonight, Chicago has never been this cold, this early in my lifetime! Today I rescued a peace lily from Lowe's, found little zip locks at Walmart (nine! a new record) and went to the brand new Habitat for Humanity ReStore. It was their Grand Opening for the media. Low prices and keeping stuff out of the landfill. Yes, there is a gardening section, somehow I missed it.

Mary E.

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Promise-My address is correct and thank you again.

Melinda-The hellebores are heavy feeders. Maybe they need some plant food.

Vina-Congrats.....way to go.

Nite ladies

Shirley

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Mary -- That's quite the score you got from Walmart! I don't think I've ever seen that many there at once.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Have a great day everyone!

TODAY'S BINGO WORDS:
    PHLOX
    MORNING GLORY

BINGO WORDS SO FAR:
    DATURA
    FOUR O'CLOCKS
    SUNFLOWER
    DAISY
    COSMOS
    MARIGOLDS
    NASTURTIUM
    CELOSIA
    POPPY
    BACHELOR'S BUTTON
    PETUNIA
    LANTANA
    SWEET PEA
    CALENDULA
    HIBISCUS
    LARKSPUR
    MASK FLOWER
    SNAPDRAGON
    COCKSCOMB
    DAHLIA
    FOXGLOVE
    ZINNIAS
    CANTEBURY BELLS
    YARROW
    PANSY
    LOVE IN A MIST
    HOLLYHOCK

Seeds Received From:
    Nicole
    Dawn
    Vina
    Melinda
    Shirley
    Erica

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations Promise! We need two more BINGO winners. ;)

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shirley had mentioned a sort of "OBF Members birthday celebration". She may post later about that. It's about remembering members birthdays (which I've been very bad at, BTW). I thought it was a great idea!

Shirley will present the details, but we discussed starting this month. This month's birthday is Christine (Christine00), as Promise had mentioned earlier. Her B-day is the 21st, so we need to mail her birthday greeting by today, Monday or Tuesday. Can you believe how fast this month is going? Yikes!

It's a short reminder notice, but please mail Christine some kind of birthday greeting and perhaps a little pack of seeds. Thank you so much! This is such a great group. I'm sure some of you are way ahead of me. ;)

Promise, I forgot to thank you for the latest list. I really like that version! Thank you for all your hard work.

Sheri

P.S. Forgot to mention... last time I traded with Christine she liked BLUE! :)

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Sat, Nov 15, 14 at 6:43

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Bingo!!! Morning Glory was my last one!

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Congratulations to you Promise! I still needed 4 more. but knew it was getting close for someone!
    I'm in Little Rock, waiting for the games today and tomorrow! I am so excited! I am so hoping they win!
    Hope you all have a great day! Hugs to all, Melinda

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

The animals are fed and the coffee is made. I woke up to several inches of snow on top of what we got the other day so this means the gardens are put away until spring and then it'll be a treasure hunt as we find things that were left out or blown into the yard. Our best find to date was the box of Christmas presents that melted out of a snow drift in April LOL! Out sweet post lady put the box in plastic and then in a place she thought was safe and it would've been if not for snow.

I've been trying to come up with reasons to be thankful for that white stuff, other than the environments needs, and the best I can come up with is it makes it easier to find my black lab in the dark.

Promise- congrats and thank you for all of the work on the addresses! You put a lot of time in getting it just right!

Mary- I love Habitat of Humanity! Our greenhouse/chicken palace is being made from of quite a bit of their recycled goods. Ours doesn't have a garden section though... Maybe someday!

Dawn

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Ladies, I didn't expect all this learning to go with updating the list, but I have managed to miss SkyBlue52. So there will be another list to come, after she sends me her birthday info. I believe I have Mary's transposed address problem fixed, but none of the lists have SkyBlue52 on them. So sorry Susan, but thank you for bringing it to my attention. So y'all please bare with me. This has been a big learning lesson, but if you want to get someone attention, flooding there email is apparently a good way! lol

Have a good weekend y'all!
    Promise :)

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations to Promise and Dawn! :)

Mary... your day yesterday was "my kinda day"! Stay safe and warm. Looks like we're going to have a hard frost on Tuesday. :(

Sheri

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Oh, I want Skyblue on my list, she is so much fun! This To Go list is very handy.
    Habitat for Humanity ReStore fans: That is the first one in Chicago, there are six more in far flung suburbs. I picked up a well made card table for two dollars and a brass bamboo vase for fifty cents. Hope to get back there today.
    OBF friends: I think of you when I see those beautiful Papyrus brand cards at Target.
    Dawn, I would love to hear about what kind of chickens you are thinking about installing in your recycled materials coop. I'm more of an armchair chicken person, except for last week's rooster.

Mary E.

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Mary, one day last year, some kids brought a young naked neck rooster to school for a project and then he either needed a new home or was going in a pot. I had never seen anything like him or ever had chickens so I rescued him. It was quite the spontaneous action. I brought him and six little hens home and promptly took over my hubby's toy/yard shed. He was NOT very happy but he let me keep them.. LOL!
    I started planning out a small 8x10 coop and run but hubby got involved and started thinking. We still had some of our old windows and sliders so he said let's put a small greenhouse on it, and then it needed a garden storage area, and next a place to store his motorcycle... I told him to stop thinking!!! My little chicken coop is now an 18x18 palace. It probably won't be done until next year, but that man has put so much love and time into it.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Dawn -- What an amazing story! I'm sure most of us have excellent husbands, but I think we're all feeling a bit of envy about now. What a great guy you have! He's done a splendid job on your chicken palace.

• jas_il
    9 years ago

Promise my email address is not correct. It has spelling mistake. I am sending an email. Sorry I didn't notice it earlier.

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Dawn, now I have to ask, what breed are the hens? if you crossed him on Silkies, you would get Showgirls.
    Hey, I only need seven more flower names for bingo!
    I did get back to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore, they are giving away fabulous Grand Opening prizes. Today's find: A copper mercury glass vase. The garden section was open, wonderful things and garden tools, cultivators. Pitchforks for two dollars. Huge bird feeder, hand built with shingle roof for fifteen dollars.

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Erica, LOL! No envy. He still has his male moments but after 28 years I don't want to have to train another one.

Mary, being new to chickens, I didn't know what I wanted so it was one of each: a Rhode Island Red, Wyandotte, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Black sex link, and a Game hen. We let the game hen hatch a baby and she's black with red neck feathers. Silkies are fun looking but I don't dare push my luck for a few months.

Have a good evening everyone!

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Oh Mary! I just looked at showgirl pictures! Yes, got to have one or two!!! They're fun looking!

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Congratulations to Promise and Dawn on BINGO.

Melinda-Hope your team is in the winners bracket.

Dawn -That chicken coop looks great..Hubby did a great job.

Promise-That is why we need you working on our Member List you really hang in there until it is 100%...

I love looking for treasures at Habitat. Mary E great finds at Habitat. I don't care for buying at Goodwill, I went in their store last week and they had used items marked $3 that I saw at the dollar tree new for $1.

I am sending out a list to everyone with the OBF Members
    Birthdays. Several of us talked about it and decided to go ahead with it and not wait until January 2015. If you possibly can please remember each Member's Birthday and send a card with Birthday Wishes. I will post at the beginning of each month as a reminder of whose Birthday we will be celebrating for the month. Don't fret if for some reason you miss sending somebodies. I know we have vacations and other things that are so demanding. Believe me in the months of April-August working 7 days a week is hard.

Shirley

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Promise-I just received an e-mail from Christine and her Birthday is Sept. 21 not Nov. 21st. If you will change it on your info. sheet I will change it on the Birthday list.

Thanks,

Shirley

This post was edited by brittneysgran on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 1:04

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! That's funny! I sent Christine a card yesterday with something on her "want list". That will make her smile... at least. ;)

Thank you for all your hard work, Promise and Shirley!

Sheri

TODAY'S BINGO WORDS:
    SALVIA
    COLUMBINE

BINGO WORDS SO FAR:
    PHLOX
    MORNING GLORY
    DATURA
    FOUR O'CLOCKS
    SUNFLOWER
    DAISY
    COSMOS
    MARIGOLDS
    NASTURTIUM
    CELOSIA
    POPPY
    BACHELOR'S BUTTON
    PETUNIA
    LANTANA
    SWEET PEA
    CALENDULA
    HIBISCUS
    LARKSPUR
    MASK FLOWER
    SNAPDRAGON
    COCKSCOMB
    DAHLIA
    FOXGLOVE
    ZINNIAS
    CANTEBURY BELLS
    YARROW
    PANSY
    LOVE IN A MIST
    HOLLYHOCK

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 5:58

• skyblue52
    9 years ago

Hello Is there still another Bingo place. If so Im there. If not it was fun. I see snow in my future Susan

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Susan, call Bingo, you got it!! I still need eight different flower names, yes, I lost ground since yesterday!

There are fourteen of us in this swap. I shoveled some snow last night, for practice. Break out the hot cocoa!

Shirley, thank you for the birthday list and here we are, celebrating Christine's half birthday.

Mary E.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Congratulations to Promise, Dawn and Susan our BINGO winners!

I hope everyone is having a relaxing Sunday. Remember to mail your seeds this week in order to meet this swap's deadline. Thank you!

Sheri

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Sheri-Well if you all remember I had a really FANTASTIC Birthday in May and my true Birthday is coming up in Dec.
    Since we missed Christine's Birthday in Sept. she can have a pretend one in Nov.

Congrats BINGO winners. Susan you beat me calling BINGO. I didn't think to check the forum before I left for Church.

Shirley

• skyblue52
    9 years ago

Thats funny I went to church at 8. When we left I told my husband I should have checked my email. Those girls get up early. But when I checked and it worked it must have been a blessing for my donation today to a neighbor. Just my thoughts. Have a great day everyone.

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Congratulations to Promise, Dawn and Susan for winning Bingo!!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Stormy Monday for the Panhandle today, then we get an early hard freeze on Tuesday. Good day to make soup! I've attached one one of my favorite recipes below.

Count Down To The Seed Mailing Deadline! 4 business days left (not including today). Thank you!

Seeds Received From:
    Nicole
    Dawn
    Vina
    Melinda
    Shirley
    Erica

Here is a link that might be useful: Panera's Cream Cheese Potato Soup

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Three packages of seeds arrived today!

Both Margo (left) and Annie (right) bundled some GREAT seeds together for each of you and stapled their "To and From" tags to them. Thank you so much!!! I bet everyones' getting really excited to see their seeds now!!!!

Margo sent me an adorable re-usable shopping bag with bicycles and flowers on it. Annie sent me a fun pack of holiday napkins. Thank you both so much for the sweet hostess gifts.

Lisa (ishareflowers) sent a wonderful, big pack of different seeds as a DONATION for this swap and the two North Florida seed swaps I'm going to this winter. I will sort them for you and label them from Lisa! FUN!!! Thank you, Lisa. You're so incredibly generous.

Lisa's not a member of OBF, but gives us a donation anyway. That's amazing to me. I hope you join-in a couple of our swaps some day, Lisa... or our "birthday club". You're one of my favorite GardenWebbers. Thank you so much!

Sheri

• jas_il
    9 years ago

Sheri,
    My seeds went out today. Here is tracking # 9400109699938924173531

• smitties
    9 years ago

This is what we woke up to today. It's hard to think that seeds won't be going in the ground at least six months. I'm so glad they we all do things together on GW each month to get through these long winter months.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pretty winter scene, Margo. What is that crop in the background?

I'll keep an eye-out for your seeds Jasmine. Thank you!

Count Down To The Seed Mailing Deadline: 3 business days left (not including today).

Sheri

Seeds Received From:
    Nicole
    Dawn
    Vina
    Melinda
    Shirley
    Erica
    Margo
    Annie

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

OBF butterfly gardeners: On the Milkweed forum, there is a kind offer of Redwing milkweed seeds for SASE. The Holiday Pepper Swap 2014 (all kinds of peppers) is over on the Hot Peppers forum and the deadline is coming up. You don't even have to send seeds.
    But I am.

Mary E.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Count Down To The Seed Mailing Deadline: 2 business days left (not including today).

Seeds Received From:
    Nicole
    Dawn
    Vina
    Melinda
    Shirley
    Erica
    Margo
    Annie

Jasmine and Susan have sent their seeds. :)

Sheri

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This offer is ONLY for OBF Members who SIGNED-UP for this swap and are sending (or have sent) seeds for each participating member! Thank you!

Here are some wonderful bulk seeds that Lisa (ishareflowers) donated. Pick-out what seeds you want and I will package them for you.

***SEED OFFER CLOSED***

Thank you so much, Lisa! I've got your pretty Christmas card and seed surprises picked-out for the Secret Santa Swap. Are you making ornaments from your Christmas cards like you did last year?

Count Down To The Seed Mailing Deadline: 2 business days left (not including today). Who's excited?!!!

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 17:19

• smitties
    9 years ago

Wow, thanks to Lisa for the wonderful selection of bonus seeds. I would love a few of the following please

Balloon flower
    Mammoth Sunflower
    Red Marigold
    Spilanthes oleracae

If this is too many, just send what you can. Just a few seeds of each would be enough cause we all know what we get once the plant grows.

Thanks so much. I am looking forward to seeing the seeds that members chose for me. This is a great swap.

Thanks Sheri
    Margo

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Woohoo! Thank you Lisa and Sheri for the seeds. I don't want to be greedy, so if this is too many picks, then hold back but I have a happy home for these.

Liatris spicata Purple Blazing Star
    Liatris floristan White
    Hosta 'Elegans'
    Luna White Hibiscus
    Balloon Flower Sentimental Blue
    Mammoth Yellow Sunflower

Thank you so very much!!!
    Promise :)

This post was edited by pmb2005 on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 19:19

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Lisa is a wonder person of GW. I did trades with here many times through the years! If enough left I would love to have these:

luna white hibiscus
    balloon flower sentimental blue (I had these for years and then they just died out)
    Liatris floristan white
    Marigold "cottage red"
    Spilanthes oleracae

Thanks to you Sheri and to Lisa!! I can't wait to see what we get in our packages! Gardeners are such wonderful people! Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Melinda

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you're in this swap, you can pick all you want off that list!

Margo, Promise and Melinda... pick more if you want, just edit your lists. :)

Sheri

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Oh, tomorrow is going to be the coldest day yet!

Sheri and Lisa, thank you ... I would especially like both colors of liatris and I will rank the others. Just enough to try is plenty, but like all of them.(son leaving house with laptop.)

Mary E.

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Thank you Lisa for Sharing!!!

Sheri ~ if u don't have enough, its okay if I don't get all of them. Sharing is caring :)

Mammoth Yellow Sunflower
    Luna White Hibiscus zone 5-10
    Helenium "Helena Red Shades"
    Liatris floristan White
    Herb: Spilanthes oleracae

HAVE A WONDERFU WEDNESDAY!!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary, think about what you want, then edit your post. Thank you!

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Sheri - these are all so pretty and things I don't have so I feel like such a pig asking for a few seeds from each. Take care of every one else first and what ever you have extra of, I'll be happy with a few seeds from.

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Mammoth Yellow Sunflower
    Helenium "Helena Red Shades"
    Herb: Spilanthes oleracae
    Marigold 'Cottage Red'

Thanks Lisa and Sheri for taking your time to share with us.

Shirley

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party, but if any of these are still available, I'd love to get them:

Liatris floristan White
    Hosta "Elegans" - very large!

Lisa -- Thank you so much for your generosity!

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Thanks again to Lisa and to Sheri! But can't edit my lists right now. I'm in the WLOMWL swap and the Secret Santa and can't change lists until all the swaps are over! Don't want to mess it up for others! Will probably be redoing lists in January and as I wintersow will post extras up for trade, things like that!
    Melinda

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Melinda, I think you misunderstood which list I was talking about. I meant your list of what you had chosen from Lisa's donations. Sorry about that. This thread is getting ready to fill-up. I started a new one. :)

Sheri

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Susan B.'s generously-filled envelopes arrived today! I posted it on thread #3, too. :) Thank you so much, Susan!