Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

New Pix of Bump & Stella

dan_the_mailman
14 years ago

Rather than take over a thread with these pictures, I'm posting these so I can share some new pictures of the "kids".

For those of you who aren't familiar with Bump and Stella, they are my 2 Maine Coon cats, neither of which is quite full-grown yet, though they are quite large. Bump is a mix, and about two-and-a-half years old. He tends to be the caretaker, though he can be quite mischievious. Stella just celebrated her first birthday, and is a pure-bred Maine Coon, which means she will eventually be larger than Bump. (just a side note, maine coons can take up to 4 years to reach their full size) She can be quite cuddly, or extremely bossy, depending on her mood, and is ALWAYS hungry for whatever food someone else has. LOL!!!

And now, the pictures...

Here's one of Stella a few months ago, doing what she likes best. She'll sit at this window for hours, enjoying the breeze...

Bump likes to flop anywhere, always willing to give someone the chance to give him a bellyrub. He's a bellyrub addict.

Here's one of Bump contemplating his next mis-deed...

Here's Bump, waiting for the printer to be turned on. And yes, there is a printer beneath him!

I thought I'd include this one from when Bump was just kitten-sized. He still likes to play around on the computer...

Stella used to be small enough to balance herself on the curtain rod in the kitchen...

Stella likes the printer too. It makes noise, and papers magically appear from inside it...

A rare moment of patience, waiting for the printer to begin printing again...

Here's another rare moment, the two of them laying peacefully next to one another.

It's not always peaceful with these two. Sometimes, you just gotta wrestle a bit...

And finally, here they are on the table again, saying good-bye.

Hope you enjoyed the show! LOL! Later today, I plan on taking a page out of their book, curling up somewhere in a spot of sunshine!

Peace.

-Dan

Comments (26)

• proudgm_03
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice pics Dan! Glad you shared. They're adorable.

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

SQUEE!!!! In pictures 2 & 3, there is a definite 'axis of snorgling' readily available for human noses.
    You know...that soft, yummy spot right under their chinny-chins? You just plop your nose right there, under their chin...and snorgle!
    Woo-Hoo!

And look at all that floof!!

*Definition of Snorgle: Snort + Snuggle. Summarizes the situation when you moosh your face into a fuzzy wuzzy smoochie wiggle and make googoo noises. *

Now ya know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daily dose of cuteness online!

• bhnash
    14 years ago

I adore Maine Coons! We lost our 16yo coon mix last Christmas, and recently got another. Took us months to find a mix (didn't have the budget for a pure breed) and we may get another. Thanks for sharing!

• Kathy Bull
    14 years ago

Dan, your kitties are adorable. If I ever had another cat, it would be a Maine Coon. We have a friend that has two females and she sends pics of them periodically. One is rather laid back, but the other one is always up to no good! Thanks for sharing them with us.

~Kathy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for all the comments! In my meanderings around the GW I'm always mentioning these two, much like a lot of people talk about their kids...lol! So, I like to post pix of them occasionally. If anyone is considering getting a cat, I would definitely recommend getting a Maine Coon. You just can't do any better than a huge, fluffy, ball of loving, and they truly do live up to their name "gentle giants". I've had three Maine Coons, including these two, and wouldn't even consider getting anything else.

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Stella is turning into quite the lady and Bump is VERY handsome!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

she may look like a lady, but she's no Miss Manners!!! LOL!!!

• ejmoore510
    14 years ago

They're just beautiful!!!!

Joan

• shropshire_lad
    14 years ago

You have some adorable kids, Dan! I can't believe how much Bump looks like my Maine Coon!

• alwaysagarden
    14 years ago

Oh my gosh Dan your kids are just wonderful! Stella has gotten so big since the last pictures you posted of her, what a pretty girl! Bump reminds me alot of my gray cat Smokey who has alot of the same markings and colors as Bump does though with shorter hair. I know he has a bit of Main Coon in him by the markings and he loves to plop and have his belly rubbed too... just so cute ; )
    Thank you for posting these Dan!

Cindy

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

Dan,

Nice pics of your kids! My sister has two Main Coons that look very similar to both Bump and Stella. Hers are LittleFoot and Buster. Both are 3 years or so and are over 25lbs each. They are real fun to play with and I can't beleive that neither one sheds hair all over me when I'm there.

Thanks for sharing your pics
    Sandy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sandy, you would think that with two long-haired cats, there'd be hair all over the house, but it just isn't that way at all. There is hair, but it's not from shedding. My two like to attack and wrestle with one another, and that's when the fur flies! LOL! I always laugh when Bump "attacks" Stella while she's sleeping, and then he gets an extremely puzzled look on his face when she hauls off and slaps him! It used to not bother him a bit, but now that she's almost his size, and a little heavier than him, well, let's just say she's got one awesome right hook!
    I've got a question for all of you who've had, or currently have, cats. Do any of yours know how to talk? Stella knows the word "no", and she's used it with company and at the vet, so I'm not the only person who hears her saying it. Our vet told me that, when Stella was last in for her shots, she took one look at the needle, and everyone in the room heard her say loud and clear "NO". Can you imagine? Well, I hear it every day. Do any of you hear your cats talking?

• smitties
    14 years ago

Dan, I have heard of cats who can make word sounds. That's pretty cool.

We were never cat people until we moved to the country and needed a mouser. That was when we got Joey. He is more indoor than outdoor but does a good job of mousing. Then we had Miss Kitty adopt us. She doesn't come in the house but knows where to get her food. This past summer, we caught three small kittens from a litter that was in the middle of the road. After not being able to find homes, we had them all fixed and now we are a family with five well loved cats. LOL

We named the biggest of the kittens Bump because when we found him, he had a hernia. He is 9 pounds compared to his brother who is 6 and is sister who weighs 5 pounds. He also loves to lay on the ground whenever we come near so he can get a tummy rub. What fun these cats can be and each one has his or her own personality. Never thought I would have one cat let alone five!!

Loved the pics and one day, I swear I will get the time to sit and learn how to post pics of my own.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your Bump likes belly rubs? LOL, that sounds like my "little" guy! He's addicted to them, and has been known to trip people so they'll notice he's ready for a belly rub!

• chitownladyd
    14 years ago

Dan,

Such cute pics! Wow I'm almost convinced that a cat should adopt me. I lost my kitty of 13 years last year. You'd appreciate her just by me telling you her namesake: Tequilla Sunrise because she was a tabby of yellow, reddish brown and white. I loved her so. Maybe it's time for --- heaven forbid -- a new kitty.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If you're serious about finding another cat for yourself, check out petfinder.com. I just looked there for Maine Coons in the Chicago area, and there are a bunch of them looking for a good home, all ages. If you can, I'd recommend getting a kitten. There's nothing that'll entertain you more than a kitten! Lol! If I had the room, now that my two are close to their full sizes, I'd be getting another kitten. But, alas, we've run out of room, so that'll have to wait.
    Go for it! You won't regret it!
    Peace.
    -Dan

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

I agree that there is nothing more fun than a kitten - unless it's two kittens. :o)

I worked on DH for 14 years until he gave in and we adopted 2 kittens (both are mixed breed, but one looks and acts like a Maine Coon, except he's smaller), and they have brought a whole new dimension of fun and affection to our house. DH held out a long time because he is a dog lover, but now he is completely besotted with our midget maine coon. He talks to the cat constantly, buys both cats treats every time he goes to the store, and swears the fluffy cat understands every word he says (sometimes I think so, too).

Lois in PA

• daffodillady
    14 years ago

I had lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast but stayed with some friends near Hattiesburg, thru Hurricane Katrina. As we had no electricity for over three weeks, I kept my cat (a female maine coone mix) in a big cage on the back porch during the day so she would not escape nor get too hot. If I did not go talk to her every once in a while, she would start hollering "mom....Mom....MOM!!" until I went out to check in with her. Then she would be happy for another couple of hours. It really freaked out the other 13 people that stayed there during the recovery process, because none of them were cat people, and they told me repeatedly that cats are NOT supposed to talk- LOL!! She also makes a "mrrump" sound if she wants the water on in the bathtub so she can get a drink, and she can get quite loud and very irritated sounding if I don't do it as fast as she thinks I should.She is looking a little rough and moving slower now at 16 years, but she still whacks my 6 pound dog upside the head on a daily basis- ala cats rule, dogs drool- just to prove that she still can (-:

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Dan, I love the pictures of your two cats,and love their names as well.I can't believe how big they have gotten since you last showed us pictures of them.
    We used to have a maine coone when my children were small,wonderful cats,now we have a long hair,named Cocoa,and a very short hair,that sheds like crazy,named Sammy.
    Cocoa id not friendly at all, she graces us with her presence,and allows us to pet her, when she feels we are deserving enough,Sammy, on the other hand,is awesome,very loving,cuddly,and loves to play in the water.He drinks with his paw,scoops up the water,into his mouth,i bet he would know how to use a spoon,he is so good at this.
    Both cats are very smart,Cocoa knows her name of course,she knows the word,no,out side,tuna,garage,Sammy,and go get em.
    Same with Sammy,he knows the word garage,no,tuna,and Cocoa,he is a youngster,so he is still learning.
    A couple of days ago,Wayne came down stairs to make coffee,and the bath room sink was running,no hot water,it obviously had run all night long, one of these guys turned it on during the night,and forgot to turn it back off, neither one will admit to doing it!
    Gotta love our cats.
    cAROL

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Now, that's just freaking hilarious Carol! I'm not telling Bump or Stella though, they come up with enough on their own. This afternoon, Stella "helped" me wrap up a few Christmas gifts. It took a while, but we had fun. Even when I had to take a couple of yards of tape off of Stella. It's amazing how quickly they can get into trouble, isn't it?

Neither of your cats is ever going to admit to turning on that faucet, but you might be able to prevent it from happening again. I use one of those waterbowl/fountains for my two kids, and they haven't bothered the faucets since I got it almost a year ago. If you have a PetSmart store in your area, that's where I bought ours. If not, any other major pet store should carry them. Good luck! And thanks for sharing!

Peace.
    -Dan

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Ok, now we need help,Wayne was out working in his "Man Cave"I had gone to the grocery store,and when I got home,the bath room sink was running , AGAIN,!Hot water,once more.
    Both cats just sit and look at me,we can not figure out which one it is that is turning it on,I thing it is Sammy.
    Now we have to keep the door closed all the time.
    Any one else have this problem?
    There is always fresh water down for them,so we know they are not thirsty.
    cAROL

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Before I got the water fountain dish, Bump would turn on the faucet in the tub. Cats prefer to drink running water because it's fresher. It looks like you're going to be going out shopping this weekend...

• just1morehosta
    14 years ago

Yes, you are right Dan, but it will have to wait till Monday,We are having our Thanksgiving this week end.
    Lots of pies to make,and, of course,Turkey,yum,yum.
    I will keep you posted.:0)
    cAROL

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I can hear the water running from here... man, those cats are gonna have a wet weekend... lol

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    14 years ago

Dan, your cat Bump looks like he could be cousins to our cat Odin.

{{gwi:1307810}}

Odin likes to play with his water bowl, but has not figured out how to turn on the faucet (yet). We have to keep the water bowl in the bathroom sink because Odin and his brother Thor like to push it around and it would make a mess if we had it on the floor.

Odin does like to knock over the soda bottles in the kitchen so he can listen to them fizz.

Lois in PA

• veeja11
    14 years ago

beautiful kitties Daddy, I saw your new facebook pic, where did your hair go ? my dog, jack russell, tiyli caught 2 young rats today in our shed, no more kisses for her. I'm a proud mamma tho. I used to have a manxamese, my fav kind of kitty 1/2 manx 1/2 siamese. I love manx, made misha just a bit more sofisticated being 1/2 siamese. gotta go clean my facebook fish tanks. hugs carol

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource