Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mn

UPDATE: 5th Annual Rare-Unusual-Named Variety Seed Exchange

Julie
15 years ago

This exchange is now closed for signing up for this year- You can look for this exchange just about the same time next year.

For those of you signed on- please use this update forum for new and chats and so forth ;*)

Thanks- Julie

Comments (87)

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

Would love to meet you, Remy, and vist the arb which is one of my favorite MN places. Each Mother's Day DH & I go to the arb plant sale then walk around and later have our first picnic of the year atop one of the hills. Can be a bit cool and often windy. It's fun to watch colorful kites swirling through the air or see a family playing soccer or catch. Sometimes we eat quickly as snowflakes flutter around and upon us.

We snickered as we sorted through some of the tomato varieties you sent. I chose White Rabbit cause if i'm going to have a rabbit in my veg bed it'd better be one I can eat!

• shadyside
    15 years ago

Bumping up!!

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

please....tell me you recd my seeds...been worried !!

Thanks to all that sent in seeds.

Tammy, I owe you some seeds...I will email you to get an address to mail them to, I saw them here after I sent the envie.

Kym

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there Kym-

Yes!!- your seeds were here when I got home yesterday! YEAH!!

I have been sorting and tweaking of seeds and return packets- I think I am half way there already! I will let you know when I get close to bringing them post office.

I do have some holiday preparations and celebrations that need to be attended to so it may be a few days yet before I get close to sending-

Julie

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there-
    I wanted to let you know that I went to the post office today- I did get at least 1/3rd of the envelopes in the mail- and am hoping to get the rest stuffed and mailed early in the week!
    I do have the conformation #s if anyone becomes concerned about their envelope- Please post as you receive them if you are able. It is always nice to hear when the envelope has arrived home.
    Thank you all for providing such wonderful seeds to share with each other- Thanks also to those of you who took the time to search out special selections for others. Thanks also to those of you who were able to share much more than you had hoped would be returned to you- All of the many thoughtful ways to care and give and share expressed through this exchange really make it a wonderful experience for me- and I do hope for you as well!

Julie

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

That is wonderful! Thanks for the work put into this swap! Very much appreciated! Melinda

• drippy
    15 years ago

Julie, how do you do it? I could never get a swap done right before the holidays. Kudos to you!

• kristlindgren
    15 years ago

I just wanted to let you know that I got my seeds today. Thank you to everyone for the wonderful assortment and thank you to our host and every one who helped for sorting and getting these wonderful seeds to me. And Julie thank you for the invite to other swap.

Kris

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

Hi Julie!!!

I got my seeds!!! *jumping up and down* Thanks so much for all of your hard work :o) you sent me a wonderful selection and several most wanted seeds!!

Thanks to all of you guys that sent specially for me :o) I truly appreciate it!!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

Monica

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Hi Julie I recd my seeds today thanks sooo much !! thanks to all the helpers too....I felt so bad not being able to print off a list, and you still sent me some things I really wanted !!

Great swap...now if we can just get thru Christmas so I can start to WS !!!

Thanks so much to everyone that sent in seeds...I so appreciate them.

Happy Holidays to you all,

Kym

• maria
    15 years ago

Hello Julie,

The seeds arrived today. The mailman had to stuff the envie in our box it was filled to capacity. LOL Sending hugs and many thanks to you and your helpers for sending along many wonderful seeds. I have to google some of them as I'm not familiar with them. Thank you for all your hard work. And thanks to everyone who shared their seeds.

Hope everyone has a happy holiday season and wonderful new year.

Maria

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW!! The mail sure moves fast!!!!
    It is great to hear that many of you have received your envelopes already!!
    The rest went out in yesterday's mail- so they will shortly be arriving home to you!

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

Wonderful! Thanks again for the great job and quickness! It will be a great Christmas gift!!! Melinda

• nuthatch_mo
    15 years ago

Hi,
    received my seed package. Have not had time to go thru it yet. Thanks so much for all the hard work.
    Nancy

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Got my seeds this week! Yeah!!!!! Thanks so much for your time and trouble!

Happy Holidays!

Joan

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

My seeds came today! Thank you all so much! I barely participated in this swap because I was just finishing up with hosting the Theme Garden Seed Swap when this one began. However, I love the seeds that I received from Julie and the others.
    Thank you for sharing with me and Merry Christmas!
    Jeanne

• patty_b
    15 years ago

I too am a receiver of great joy. Thanks to all you thought of me and Julie, you made it happen for us!
    Thanks so much, Patty

• atravers
    15 years ago

Dear Julie,

Thank you so much for the incredible variety of seeds! Everyone was so thoughtful to include special seeds that I've been really wanting. This seed exchange continues to be the very, very best by far!

Again, thank you Julie and all the great traders for sending along such excellent offerings. Best wishes to everyone for wonderful holiday season and a very happy New Year.

Ann

• jaynine
    15 years ago

My seeds came today, too. Thanks to you all! Happy Holidays.
    janine

• shadyside
    15 years ago

My seeds came yesterday...along with the envelope from the other seed exchange I was participating in...talk about being overwhelmed!! But in a good way. Thank you to Julie, all her helpers, and all of you who took the time to search others lists and fulfill wants. I'm thrilled. Thanks again--Susan

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

One word: WOW!
    Julie(and Bobbie and other helpers,) thanks for all the work. I got home from visiting my family and found the envelope. What a great Christmas gift.
    Again-- gardenweb people are definitely among the nicest people on the planet.
    Many blessings to you all throughout out the new year!
    Peace
    George

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    15 years ago

Hi Julie! I received my seeds and I believe your swap still remains one of the best on GW! One of the nicest presents I received for Christmas was this envie of seeds...filled with so much thought and consideration for my want list! Thanks so much Julie for all of your hard work coordinating this swap and for taking time out of your busy schedule to bring so much joy to us all!

A special thanks also to MNWSGAL, TAMMYMN, SANDY'SGARDEN and LEFTWOOD for helping you sort (they deserve a pat on the back!) and also thanks so much to those who sent in seeds especially for me! Happy Holidays all....

Smiles - Lisa

• evonnestoryteller
    15 years ago

This sounds like a great event! I read about this exchange when it was posted earlier and it sounded wonderful! I would love to hear a sampling of the seeds received. Most of the seeds I had were either unnamed or I was not sure if they were rare and/or unusual. As a result, I did not sign up. :) So this year I am watching and maybe next year I will be more prepared!

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone!

Sorry to be so late, my seeds arrived before Christmas I haven't even had a chance to mor than take a quick look in the envelope! Thanks you to everyone Julie and helpers for your hard work getting this all done before the holidays! WOW!!!!

THanks you everyone who sent seeds specifically for me, I was grateful not to open a HUGE packet, it was perfect!

Thanks so much

Frances

• vikingkirken
    15 years ago

My seeds arrived today! I can't wait to try everything! (I must admit, I am REALLY excited that Remy noticed the cut-short beans on my wish list and sent them in for me! Thanks Remy! Woohoo!) My garden is going to be so beautiful next year, thanks to everyone's generosity =)

I am so touched to see my name (well, gardenweb ID, lol!) on packets of seeds... it warms my heart that so many people thought of me specifically when they picked out their selections to send in. It really makes this such a great swap!

Thanks Julie for all your hard work!

Lori

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

Received my package today. What a delight! Thank you again everyone for your kindness and thoughtfulness! That is how are gardens built- with friendship and sharing...
    Happy holidays!
    Evonne, I received way too many seeds to list, but majority of the names could be found on my want list. People from this swap are really reading into what interests you most and send their seeds accordingly. My favorite kind of swap!

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Oh my what a pkg. I got delivered today!! Wow, I took a quick run through, and all I can say is I can't believe all the goodies. This swap always has the best seeds, but this year is even better than before, and I didn't think that was possible! Thank you everyone : )
    I hope you all enjoy my seeds as much as I yours.

Lori,
    You're welcome!

Julie and Helpers,
    Thanks again for doing a great job! I know we all appreciate the thought you put into sorting all those seed packets.
    Looking forward to next year,
    Remy

• sandysgardens
    15 years ago

One of my favorite parts of this swap is reading the thread once everyone posts that they've received their seeds and are happy with them. Julie does one heck of a job with this swap and I am lucky to spend a day with her and others to sort and pack envies. Also, for it to be such a great swap it means everyone has done a great job on sending in special wants for others and great seeds for us sorters to pick through and give to others. Everyone in the swap deserves a pat on the back.

Sandy

• chellflower
    15 years ago

My package arrived today...I'm so thrilled!!!! I got many seeds from my want list...
    Thanks Julie for hosting this swap and to all of those who helped her sort/send seeds. ....and a special thank you to those that sent in the seeds I recieved, especially the begonia, coleus & papaya seeds.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas Day...and have a Happy New Year!!!!
    Chell
    Chell

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is good to hear so many have their seeds already- and are pleased with the contents!
    There were many who hand picked seeds for folks and sent them labeled- that is a real delight to the receiver- and very easy on us sorters here! There were many sent in for the general exchange that were easy to find on want lists as well- and there are those that were quite abundant and we all shared some! We here in MN all try to find just what each person wants- and may like - and we do try to do our best with what there is for everyone!
    It seems most folks who sign up for this exchange look to please each other as best as they are able! We all help make it a great exchange!
    We had over 2600 seed packets mailed in- and I couldn't say how many we MN folks added- An easy guess would be 100 to 200+ each- That is a whole bunch of seeds!
    The 2 least amount of seeds sent in by participants were 5 and 8 very lovely packets- and the 2 who sent the most were over 300 packets!! They did not want me to count them- and they wanted MUCH less returned! Several folks this year found they had more to offer than they wanted returned- my heartfelt thanks to you folks who are so kind as to offer your abundant treasures to so many here! Your generosity was especially appreciated by me this year as I was not able to start as many plants nor gather as much of my own seeds this year.
    Evonne- Some of the seeds in this swap ranged from more common blooms like Amaranthus 'Love Lies Bleeding'- 'Pygmy'- 'Hot Biscuits'- and several more named varieties (this years particular favorite to send in) to named Gallardias (the second favorite it seems) to Rudbeckia 'Goldstrum' and Marigold 'Tiger Eye', dianthus- petunias- salvias- To Impatiens namchabarwensis, that was only recently found (2003) in a remote canyon in Tibet - To the most beautiful seed I have ever seen- from the Bird of Paradise plant- with their shiny round black spheres with a ruffle of orange velvet skirting- To Gomphocarpus physocarpus (Hairy Balls Plant)and fern spoor- To Burpee Vegetable seed packets- to lovingly grown and harvested heirloom tomatoes and other edibles- to Southern Magnolia Tree Seeds- to Beauty Berry and Caryopteris shrubs- to Hand picked hosta seeds- and Japanese Roof Iris and Named Daylily seeds- to carefully selected lily crosses- From Cactus to Alpine- Native- to Tropical- to European- to African- to Asian.... Commercial to hand picked. There really is a HUGE mix of seeds sent in every year! I am always amazed at what passes through my fingers every year- and a part of me wishes I could grow at least one of each of them just to see what they would look like...
    Thank goodness I know better!!

Julie

• Melinda Hagen
    15 years ago

I just want to thank each and everyone who helped contribute seeds and those for all the work in distributing! I rec'd my package today and am amazed at the wonderful selection I rec'd!! I was thrilled with each and everyone! Now off to wintersow some of them! Thanks again for such a great swap! Melinda

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the wonderful package of seeds I received. I couldn't have asked for more if I had shopped for them myself. And thanks to those who marked seeds for me, they were much appreciated. I look forward to this trade again next year.

Thanks for all your hard work Julie. You did great!

Sue G.

• gardendee
    15 years ago

Looking forward to next year's RUNV.
    Thank you, Julie!

• suecirish
    15 years ago

I received my seeds today - how wonderful! Thanks Julie and all the helpers. These are all terrific seeds. I thank everyone who sent seeds specifically designated for me, and I think all did a great job with the seeds that were chosen for sharing. I will definitely participate again next year!
    Sue

• rbrady
    15 years ago

My seeds arrived today! I can not believe how many wonderful seeds I received! Thank you Julie and helpers for all your hard work, and thank you to everyone who sent seeds in for me. I love them all!

Thanks again!

Rhonda

• roflol
    15 years ago

My seeds arrived Wednesday I believe - my apologies for not speaking up sooner.. between the upcoming get-together plans and the tummy bug making its rounds here at the house I didn't get online but to check email. :P

But I am so grateful to all of you! You've come through once again to pare down my wish list with your bounty and your generosity. Thank you to all who shared your stash, whether any of it found its way to me or not; I appreciate the giving spirit. And thank you to all who found something for me, I am truly filled with joy at what I received and hope I can successfully grow it and pass it around next time! :]

Julie and elves, thank you so much for all your hard work. I'm glad you had a good time too.

Thanks again to everyone, and blessings to all in the New Year.

Terri :]

• jeanne
    15 years ago

Mine arrived yesterday, I love it! Like everyone else has said, Julie and her helpers really did an excellent job, I'm honestly shocked at the percentage of seeds that I HAVE to sow! And a huge thanks to everyone for contributing such a wonderful selection of seeds.

This is the first time I've participated in this swap and I don't frequent this forum with much regularity so I'd sure appreciate an email when you start the next round.

Thank you SO much!
    Jeanne

• northforker
    15 years ago

Dear Julie and "Seed Elves",

Well... SANTA has nothing on you guys!!!! I received sooo many seeds that I am excited about growing. Thank you so very much and have a happy and healthy new year!!!

Nancy

• threeshyacres
    15 years ago

Hello Julie, MN sorters, and all gardeners!

I just received my bounty of seeds a few days back, probably just after Christmas...hurray! I am very pleased, as I always am, with the wonderful selection. Thanks so much!

Happy Holidays to everyone....

Sincerely,
    Jodi B.

: )

• minnesuing
    15 years ago

Thank you to everyone for sending such wonderful seeds. I didn't receive them until now because our mail was on hold over the holidays. I really appreciate all the work you do on this swap, Julie. It is always my favorite Christmas present of the year.

Happy New Year,
    Karin

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Mine arrived today. What a lovely assortment of seeds. I am amazed by the range of types!
    Thanks to Julie and friends, and to all the folks who sent in such beautiful selections!
    Alana

• gardendee
    15 years ago

I said THANK YOU to Julie and all those who helped to make this seed swap successful in another thread but I am leaving one here too just to show how grateful I am!
    Happy New Year!
    I am looking forward to the 2009 RUNV swap.
    THANK YOU!

Dee

• drippy
    15 years ago

I just returned home after several days of traveling around to see family to a beautiful package of seeds - almost brought tears to my eyes, the thoughtful selections that were made for me. Some of the things included were plants I had wintersown previously, had in my yard, but didn't flower this year - so now I will be able to start them again in my new home.

Thank you so much Julie, Minnesota GW team, and all of you wonderful participants.

Happy New Year to all!

• peaches20
    15 years ago

Dear Julie and Elves,

I received my wonderful seeds. Thanks so much for organizing this wonderful swap. Will start my winter sowing very soon.

Happy New Year to All!

Nancy
    Peaches20

• conniesc
    15 years ago

Good Morning All,
    Happy New Year
    I tried finding te original post for this and did not have any luck. This swap sounds interesting and I wondered if someone could explain the 'rules' to me. Hopefully this is something I could participate in next year.

thanks

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey there ConnieSC-
    I will post a link to this years original post-

Happy New Year!!!

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: this years original post

• ramazz
    15 years ago

Julie and everyone:

I have been out of town for a few days and my seeds were waiting when I got home. Thanks to everyone for the great selection of seeds and to Julie and friends for their hard work organizing, sorting and packing all of these seeds. Once again, I was surprised and pleased by all of the great stuff in my envelope.

Becky
    ramazz

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Happy New Year Everyone!!
    Thank you all for the great seeds.

Julie, thanks again for hosting such a fun swap.

Happy Gardening!!

Louise

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

To those who received packets of veronica longifolia from Lindalana
    it is the best name I could come up with after doing search of Chiltern catalog. Original seed was received in a mix and even that I consulted couple of people working in the horticultural business still no recognition with 100% certainty.
    Plants themselves are very worthy to grow- 2-3 feet tall, with flowers similar to veronica/ veronicastrum, bloom very late summer early fall at same time with japanese anemones for good 4-5 weeks. Foliage has minty smell and deep tap root does not like transplant. Architectural, reseeds moderately, does not need support, strong stems, will take sun to part shade, plant it and forget it type of care.
    If you figure out it is something else please let me know, that plant has been so uncommon I can not find any references ...

• mnwsgal
    15 years ago

To those receiving dianthus 'Wee Willie' seeds from me,

I believe that the plant was mislabeled and these are dianthus 'Artic Fire' seeds. For years I have been calling them 'Wee Willie', glad to learn the correct name. Sorry for the mixup.

Bobbie

Here is a link that might be useful: Dianthus 'Wee Willie' (not)