Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kilngod

NEW: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list (group maintained)

kilngod
13 years ago

This is a variation of the adopt-a-newbie formally arranged swap. At some point in the past I think this version was done at least once (maybe by accident, but it worked nicely), and a few folks helped keep the newbie list maintained. I'm hoping that we can make that work again.

These adoptions are for seeds primarily (though can include plants too during the appropriate season for that zone).

Costs to the Newbie:

--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.

--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie included by the veteran)

--"plants too"; needs to be Priority Mail; can run from about $5 to $14; can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal.

Newbies:

--make sure your email address shows on your member page (see link below)

--make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything helps someone match to you)

--include your zone & state.

Helpful veterans and I:

--will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.

--will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

--to make things go bold, post before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list.

Traders who want to adopt-a-newbie:

--POSTING HERE and announce who you are adopting.

--email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offering the adopt.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:

--check back here to see that the adopter has posted here. (I do not recommend engaging in a trade-sponsor with someone who has emailed you but not posted here on this thread. This is for your safety.)

--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you (for protection; this is also why it is required for the adopter to post here not just contact you). This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/

Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.

--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details with the veteran. (At this point, that usualy means them offering things to send, and indicating about how much postage that will cost, and how you should send that postage.)

--send them the postage for what they're gifting.

--after receiving the package, thank them & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

(left over, late sign ons from that last adopt thread)

ohiovalleygardener 5/6 (OH)

sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO

nuttnhunee 5a (unk)

--Tina

Here is a...

Comments (150)

• kilngod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Skybird -- A dozen packs is good. We'll call that the standard adoption = 12 packs of seed. Folks can feel free to do more, but this is plenty enough to be joyous of for newbies, and small enough to encourage adoptions.

afd123 -- sorry, GW has my page/settings all messed up. It even keeps defaulting to zone 10 in my posts (ha, that's funny!), and my email link has disappeared (ugh).

Manner for covering the cost of postage is up to the adopter veteran. Listed in the first posting, as requirements & the reimbursement ways I am familiar with: "will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance"... "can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal" although that latter one is listed next to the If Plants Too part I now realize. Relative/typical costs to expect are posted up there too.

Marg1970 -- see my note earlier (a little bit up there ^)

dciolek zone 5B OH (special interests: veggies, heirloom veggies)
    NancyPlants zone 5b Kansas (want list posted)
    azmountains_gardener zone 5b/6a AZ (special interests: flowers/herbs/veggies)*Her email is posted up above!
    ymaddox zone 6 (state unknown, please post)(special interests: veggies/hosta/roses/gourds)
    hostarookie zone 6 WV (varied interests)
    efd123 zone 6/7 (state unknown, please post)(interests: herbs, perennials, edibles)
    gardengimp zone 9B Florida (special interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)
    _________
    *sunshinenc zone 7 NC
    *deergarden zone 8 (no state listed, but I'm guessing TX, AZ, or NM based on her seed list)
    (*To adopt deergarden or sunshinenc: see notations above regarding "technical website difficulties"; you can contact them via GWmail only, not sure if they'll check back here or not though if GWmail is having problems.)

***I've generally started grouping the newbies by zone in the adopt list. Just seemed easier for adopting.....

Adoptions in-process or completed:
    wjarvie zone unk Wyoming (skybird)
    sharon5840 z6b Southeast MO (aquawise)
    celeegra z6 NYC (ishareflowers)
    nuttnhunee z5a (smitties)
    sundog2010 zone 5a WI (elvis)
    bhscarlett (aquawise)
    jshipway zone 6 MD (beth_b_kodiak)
    Nis941 zone 9 FL/Sarasota (alwaysagarden)
    wren1 zone 5, Central IL (smitties)
    HoHumHollow zone 6A RI (dem_pa)
    BeesNeeds zone 5 deep SW MI (dem_pa)
    wrenhouse10 zone 5 (diene)
    ckap zone 9a TX (piksi_hk)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Hi Tina,

I just sent nancypants an email, she has been adopted!

I will mail her out a nice package as soon as I get her address.

Lisa

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

AZmountains, please try to email me. I have some seeds you are looking for.
    I emailed deergarden about a week ago but have had no response. Perhaps the email did not go through?????

• beesneeds
    13 years ago

wow, got in seeds from Dem-pa... I cannot say enough how grateful I am to him.. There was a mail problem, and he took it in stride though I'm in sort of a quandry about it.
    Now I have so many seeds to choose from, don't know where to start!
    Thank you Dem_pa.. You are outstanding!!

• lbooth169
    13 years ago

I'm new and would love to be adopted. I helped my mom in the garden as a small child and said I would never garden. But, I have found that the food is much better.

I don't have a huge collection, and very few flowers. I have a 20 month old son that I would love to provide watermelons, cantaloupes, beans, peas, brocolli, or any other fresh fruit or vegetable. I would love to be able to can and freeze stuff to use throughout the year. I'm really not picky. As for flowers, I think all that I have are sunflowers and a wildflower mix. I would love something colorful to put around the base of my garden.

Some things that catch my eye are bright oranges, yellows, blue, and red flowers. I am also very interested in pomegranates, peaches, apples, nuts, and citrus fruit.

So, really anything would be greatly appreciated.

We are in Zone 7 (Georgia). Once I get acquainted with the forum, would love to do some seed swaps and help others.
    thanks for the wonderful group,
    Lori

• scratchits
    13 years ago

Hello,

I have lurked around these forums ever since I started gardening in the last year and a half. I have learned a great deal on these forums. One of which was why my tomato seedlings leaves were turning white when I put them outside. I laugh about it to my father in law who is a garden lover as well but honestly I am still embarrassed that I did not know plants had to be hardened off. That is why I am so excited for this years gardening. Redemption!

My husband and I moved into our home almost two years ago. I am just starting to place flowers into our backyard but honestly I do not know much about flowers and I get stuck on the "right" spot. Not just for flowers but for herbs as well.

Hehe, I apologize if I started to ramble. I am in Oregon and we are zone 8.

Thank you!

Misty

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Okay, I got an email from my new newbie, she gave me her address and I am sorting seeds for her right now!!

I will probably swing by the post office tomorrow and grab stamps and send it off.

Lisa

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

Tina,

I would love to adopt a newbie. I am happy to adopt Scratchits (Misty) from Oregon, my neighbor to the North.

Misty, I will email you soon.

Annie

• azmountains_gardener
    13 years ago

beth_b_kodiak, I just sent you an email, so hopefully you got it.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

AZmountains Gardener are setting up an adoption.
    Thanks for the quick reply
    BB

• bizarrogir
    13 years ago

Hi, I'm a newbie and I'd love to be adopted. I just got my first place in Zone 10/Sunset 22, So Cal and I'll be starting from scratch. Thanks! :)

-- C

• morbidzero
    13 years ago

hi im new to this forum and gardening i wanted to know if anyone would be willing to adopt me that would be awesome thanks ahead of time morbidzero

• cryptid
    13 years ago

Hi all, if it's agreeable, I'd like to adopt "bizarrogir". :)

• kilngod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lbooth169 & Marg1970 -- see the link below. We need your email to be viewable to members in order to put you on the list. Follow the instructions at this link, and check in back here afterward. Marg1970, we also need your zone & state to put you on the list.

dciolek zone 5B OH (special interests: veggies, heirloom veggies)
    ymaddox zone 6 (state unknown, please post)(special interests: veggies/hosta/roses/gourds)
    efd123 zone 6/7 (state unknown, please post)(interests: herbs, perennials, edibles)
    morbidzero zone 8b (special interests: tomatoes, other veggies)
    gardengimp zone 9B Florida (special interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)
    _________
    *sunshinenc zone 7 NC
    *deergarden zone 8 (no state listed, but I'm guessing TX, AZ, or NM based on her seed list)
    (*To adopt deergarden or sunshinenc: see notations above regarding "technical website difficulties"; you can contact them via GWmail only, not sure if they'll check back here or not though if GWmail is having problems.)

***I've generally started grouping the newbies by zone in the adopt list. Just seemed easier for adopting.....

bizarrogir zone 10/Sunset 22 Southern CA (cryptid)
    Scratchits zone 8 OR (canyonwind)
    NancyPlants zone 5b Kansas (ishareflowers)
    azmountains_gardener zone 5b/6a AZ (beth_b_kodiak)
    bhscarlett (aquawise)

Here is a link that might be useful: Email settings so members can see

• naturegirl236
    13 years ago

Good morning everyone, I'd like to adopt morbidzero. :)

• lbooth169
    13 years ago

I have updated my page.

Thanks,
    Lori

• alwaysagarden
    13 years ago

It's been over 2 weeks since I sent an email to Nis941 and have heard nothing in return. I will be waiting to see if I can try adopting another new gardener with like zones as my own, since this one didnot work out.

• citygirlseeds
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone - Newbie here that would love to be adopted by a neightbor to swap stories and seeds! For some reason I cannot edit my profile so I will do so here: After years of yearning, I finally escaped the big city and moved to my soon to be garden paradise in Sebastopol Ca. The land is neglected but full of promise and ready for my hands (and heart) in the dirt! I'm building a fruit/veggie/herb garden and always willing to discover something new! Looking to make friends for garden play and to swap stories and seeds.

My email: citygirlseeds@gmail.com

Happy Gardening!

• efd123
    13 years ago

I am in Massachusetts and Have lots of empty land to fill up with goodness, This year I will make raised beds for my first Veggie garden, and another for herbs. I plan on having a cutting garden since I love fresh flowers in vases all through the house (who doesn't?) I even plan on planting a few fruit trees since I just love that plants can give us treats. I am also planning my wedding for June-ish 2012 and want to grow most if not all of my own flowers. I dont want exuberance, but rather wildflowers, herbs, and such!

• hohumhollow
    13 years ago

GW,
    I have a very lovely portuguese neighbor who loves to garden. Last season her seeds were ruined in the floods that we had here in RI. I myself am just a newbie and have given her all that I can. I understand that I was already adopted (which allowd me to give her some seeds), but I was wondering if you would adopt Manuela through me. She is older and did not understand when I tried to give her directions to sign-up on GW because she understands little English. Gardening is the language we speak. Please let me know if anyone would be willing to help!

• greenthumbgrow
    13 years ago

OK I will adopt (2) of you :-). I am not sure who is taken and who is available.... If you have not been adopted shoot me an email with your address "GW Adopt a newbie" in the subject(after posting on here and letting everyone know It has been spoken for) and I will mail out your seeds. This is my seeds from last years winter sowing that I used again this year but there are so many seeds I cannot use them all (As I like a lot of variety so I do not use many out of each pack). There are give or take over 100 packs in each envelope of all varietys (flowers from pansys to datura to different zinnias and marigolds and maltese cross and money plants .... tons of others)

Oh and I will pay for the postage, just send over your addy :-)

Tammy
    AKA - Greenthumbgrow

• mavis07
    13 years ago

Hi Folks!
    I would love to be adopted! I don't have much of a "want list" yet but I love bee balms, sages,perennials, cottage flowers and most anything that blooms. I'm in Virginia, zone 7.
    Thanks for keeping this thread alive!
    Mavis07

• mavis07
    13 years ago

Hi Folks!
    I would love to be adopted! Thanks for keeping this thread alive! I sent you an e-mail!

Mavis07

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

Misty (Scratchits) and I have been in contact. I am headed upstairs to do some seed sorting. I will post when I send Misty's way.

Annie

• greenthumbgrow
    13 years ago

Ok. I have adopted Mavis and Lori. Sent you both emails.
    I have both their addys and their seeds will be mailed out today/tommorrow.

Enjoy your seeds and I hope to see you around here more often!

Tammy :-)
    AKA - Greenthumbgrow

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

HoHumHollow,

I am sending you an email. Post here if you do not receive.

Annie (canyonwind)

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Hohum hollow,
    I added some seed for Manuela into the herb seed swap.
    BB

• hohumhollow
    13 years ago

Annie and BB,
    I am touched! Thank you so much for your generosity! I know she will appreciate whatever we can give her.

Jay

• kilngod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marg1970 -- see the link below. We need your email to be viewable to members in order to put you on the list. Follow the instructions at this link, and check in back here afterward. We also need your zone & state to put you on the list.

***Veterans, please list the adoptees by their screen name as they are one the list, then I don't have to go back through looking for "now who is Lori?" :) Thanks gazillions ! Time saver !

Good going everyone -- this is looking great. Just great!

dciolek zone 5B OH (interests: veggies, heirloom veggies)
    ymaddox zone 6 (state unknown, please post)(interests: veggies/hosta/roses/gourds)
    efd123 zone 6/7 MA (interests: herbs, perennials, flowers, edibles)
    gardengimp zone 9B Florida (interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)
    citygirlseeds zone 9 (state unk, please post) (interests: sustainable, edible garden & flowers)
    _________
    *sunshinenc zone 7 NC

Manuela via HoHumHollow 6A (canyonwind)
    lbooth169 zone 7 GA (greenthumbgrow)
    mavis07 zone 7 VA (greenthumbgrow)
    morbidzero zone 8b (naturegirl236)
    bhscarlett (aquawise)

Here is a link that might be useful: Newbie EmailShowing Assistance & More

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

I have contacted GardenCochin about being adopted (Posted 1/13)and she accepted.

Don

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Hi Kilngod/Tina and everyone,

Was lurking here, and know that some folks need to update their profile info with Member Page email link, and zone and state, and things on their want list on their Trade Page and saw the link above to the instructions for updating.

If you follow those instructions and are still having problems getting things to update correctly, please see this post at The Suggestion Forum...Login and Profile Issues. I suggest you read it carefully and follow the instructions of contacting GW with details via the link there, if you are still unable to update. One thing that is important is to have your profile filled out completely. I was having problems and found out that for some reason my birthdate had gone missing...once I filled that in I was fine.

hth.

Sue...aka chemocurl...rbb

as you were........

• mavis07
    13 years ago

Wow! I received an evelope packed with seeds from Snapdragon36!

Thanks so much Debbie! DH couldn't believe you had such a variety.

Mavis07

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

My adoption of wjarvie in Wyoming is complete! She sent me her address, and I came up with 17 packs of seeds which I put in the mail to her today.

Happy adopting, everyone,
    Skybird

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

Scratchits (Misty)....her newbie bubbler was sent out today.

Manuela via HohumHollow (Jay)....I will be sending her surprises out tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!

Annie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Morning!

i will adopt efd123 now that I have mailed nancyplants package.

Lisa

• azmountains_gardener
    13 years ago

I received an envelope full of seeds today from beth_b_kodiak. She was very generous.

Thank you Beth!

• cryptid
    13 years ago

Klingod, I just gotta say,...this was/is a really great idea of yours! Two thumbs up, for sure! :)

• scratchits
    13 years ago

Received an extremely generous package of seeds from canyonwind (Annie). Thank you so much Annie! I sent you an email.

Misty

• hostarookie
    13 years ago

I had forgotten about this... please remove me. I've accumulated more than enough from trades and commercial purchases.

I'll start watching to see if I can find a newbie that has varied interests as me to adopt.

• kilngod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good going everyone -- this is going

great!

(drumroll please) ...and hostarookie becomes an adopter. She's all grow'd up now. Nicely done, hosta.

*cryptid, like lots of great things, rather than cooking it up from nothing, this grew out of a newbie sponsoring thing from back in '07 that wilmont did. I tend to take a plate of spaghetti and turn it into graph paper (or a finely tuned maserati). For the curious, here are links to that thing, first fairly fluid, general, organic. Then little sort-outs that I couldn't help adding, and wilmont was gem about allowing that kind of participation. Our current rendition is a reinvention of that event, tweeked so it would run really easily, make it simple to find who you matched up with, etc, etc. (Thanks for the enthusiasm!)

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg1115530419846.html
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg1214162417495.html

GardenCochin, I am so sorry I missed listing you. I think I didn't for your email not showing, but then forgot to list a "hey, get your email showing" note. Thank you dem_pa for catching this newbie that fell through the net.

Marg1970 & GardinCochin -- see the link below. We need your email to be viewable to members in order to put you on the list. Follow the instructions at this link, and check in back here afterward (the best you can with the website tech difficulties, see chemocurl's note above). Marj1970, ee also need your zone & state to put you on the list.

***Veterans, remember to list the adoptees by their screen name as they are one the list, then I don't have to go back through looking for "now who is Lori?" :) Thanks gazillions ! Time saver !

Here is a link that might be useful: Newbie EmailShowing Assistance & More

• kilngod
    Original Author
    13 years ago

(We'll be needing a new thread soon....try to keep the last postings, #149-150 for me to use so there is a link to the next thread.)

dciolek zone 5B OH (interests: veggies, heirloom veggies)
    ymaddox zone 6 (state unknown, please post)(interests: veggies/hosta/roses/gourds)
    gardengimp zone 9B Florida (interests: curb appeal veggie gardening, shade)
    citygirlseeds zone 9 (state unk, please post) (interests: sustainable, edible garden & flowers)
    _________
    *sunshinenc zone 7 NC

efd123 zone 6/7 MA (ishareflowers)
    GardenCochin zone 6 VA (dem_pa)
    Manuela via HoHumHollow 6A (canyonwind)
    lbooth169 zone 7 GA (greenthumbgrow)
    mavis07 zone 7 VA (greenthumbgrow)
    morbidzero zone 8b (naturegirl236)
    bhscarlett (aquawise)

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

I tried twice to contact deer garden. Is he/she still around and interested?
    Please try to contact me.
    BB

• fyrcrose
    13 years ago

I would love to be adopted! Nashville, TN area.

• NancyPlants
    13 years ago

oh my goodness, ishareflowers, OH MY GOODNESS!!
    Your package arrived this evening. How wonderful!!
    My husband hasnt been all that excited about the seed trading adventure until tonight. I listed all the seeds you sent in a notebook and you should have seen him on the computer...asking me how to spell the flowers...finding just the right picture to put in a microsoft word listing of the flowers...along with all the important info (sun, height, propagation ,etc).
    He might just turn out to be a happy gardener like me :)
    THANK YOU SO MUCH ishareflowers!!
    This is so exciting...a wonderful adventure :)
    (I cant wait to have enough seeds to adopt someone myself!)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Nancyplants,

I'm happy that your happy!

Happy growing

Lisa

• gardengimp
    13 years ago

I'm growing a bit; but still a floppy legging seedling needing my own veteran leaf; but I can share a few perennial seeds; after all how many moringa trees does a family of two with no chickens need??

I've sent a mail to citygirlseeds (Sebastopol CA) offering her a few perennial seeds from my list.

I don't consider this an "adoption" as I really don't have an abundance of anything except beautyberry seed :)

~dianne

• canyonwind
    13 years ago

Sending citygirlseeds (zone 9, CA) an email today.

Thanks much!

Annie

• hohumhollow
    13 years ago

I recieved Annie's package. Thanks you again!

Jay

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

I will adopt ymaddox, as we are in the same zone and I have seeds to spare of what is on the list. Am sending email now.

• luckyladyd
    13 years ago

Sorry, false alarm; ymaddox wants only two varieties of flower seeds that I don't have. I will wait for another newbie whose want list contains items I have. LL