Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galium_gw

NEW: Nov. ~Cracked Pot Gardner's~ Seed Swap

galium
15 years ago

BULB: Potential flower planted in Autumn, never to be seen again.
Henry Beard

This month we'll be having a seed swap. Send 5 different types of seeds to your partner in a padded Manila envelope. If you'd like you can send a Happy Thanksgiving card too but it's not necessary. Be sure to check your partner's Exchange list for ideas of what seeds to send. Email your partner for their address or just to say Hi!

RULES:
1. Send 5 different types to seeds to your partner.
2. Contact your partner for their address.
3. Send seeds in a padded Manila envelope.
4. Post when you send.
5. Post when you receive.
6. Seeds must be received by your partner no later than November 29th.
7. Members who have not traded with us before need to send to their partners first.

NOTE:
We do not send out reminders. If anyone needs more time please email Michelle or myself (Mariann) before the 29th. If you can't follow our simple rules you won't be able to trade with us again.
Any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact Michelle/micyrey or myself Mariann/galium. **Michelle has 2 partners this month.
PARTNERS:
Michelle/micyrey swaps with Louise/esiuol
Michelle/micyrey swaps with Karen/kalena67
Mariann/galium swaps with Fran/ncgardengirl
sassyd swaps with Frances/fcoffill
Sue/sguanzon swaps with Monica/mommyto2

Comments (50)

• chitownladyd
    15 years ago

Hi all!
    Newbie here. Would like to join the round robin. Since I've never done it before, what happens now?

Thanx
    La Donna

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi chitownladyd-We have already assigned partner's for this month. During the middle of this month I'll post a new thread for sign ups for next month. We don't always do the same swaps every month. Our group is primarily a plant, bulb, seed and anything relating to gardening swap. You are more than welcome to sign up for December so keep an eye out for the new listing.
    Thanks for your interest in CPG
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Hi Mariann,
    I see we are partnered up ;)!

How's your weekend been?

Hey Everybody!!!

:) Fran

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran-You have mail!

Hope everyone has had a good weekend. I managed to plant all my rooted cuttings yesterday and bulbs the day before. Still have a few things to go yet then I'll put my posies to bed for the winter.
    Mariann

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

HI Everyone!!

Sue, I sent you an email on Sunday, I hope you got it. Can't wait to trade :)

Monica

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Mariann!
    Good for you being so organized. My gazebo is full of rooted cuttings (mostly shrubs) that need planting. I just cannot seem to get it together... and the daffodils (100 bulbs) need planting, and the cannas that I divided need replanting.... I am just not ready, and it seems to have gotten cold too fast! brrrrr

sassyd please send me your address! I will send you mine!

Frances

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frances-Sometimes I'm organized and sometimes I'm not.LOL We've already had quite a few freezes and I've put off all kinds of yard work. I still have to take my Caladium bulbs out of their containers and box them up for the winter. Our attic gets to cold and we don't have a basement so I take them to my DD's and put them in her attic.

Monica-How are you doing??
    Mariann

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

Hi Mariann!!!

I'm running around trying to get my tender plants put up, cleaning the garden and planting the awesome bulbs you sent me :) But I just love all of it, specially the digging! My husband and I took the kids trick or treating and they had a great time. It was my 4 year old's first time and my 10 year old's second.
    I must have gotten too cold, because now I have a bit of a cold (which I'm using as an excuse to eat some of their candy, LOL)
    Over all, I'm doing pretty good :)
    I hope you're having a restful time before the holliday rush begins and that you're enjoing the fall. Right now our the trees are hitting their peak of color and it's just beautiful outside!
    I'll stop rambling now so I can go get some cold medicine and some tea.

Monica

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    Karen and Louise I have your address so there is no need to send them, please let me know if you don't have mine. I'm gonna go through my seeds and start picking some out for both of you.
    I will split some packs I just got from Thomson and Morgan with you so I hope you don't mind if there are only a few of some of them.
    have a great day everyone
    michelle

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Mariann I mailed your seeds out today your DC# is 0308 1400 0000 2495 8068
    I hope you like what I sent, if you can't use them you can always trade them :)

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran-Your seeds went in the mail on Tuesday. I sent them 1st class and because the pkg. wasn't thick enough no DC#.

Monica-Take care of that cold! Kids get so excited when Halloween rolls around.

Our stove/oven broke down last weekend. We lucked out buying a used one. My DH and SIL picked it up in my DD's Jeep. Luckily our SIL is an Electrician so he was able to hook it up. Now we have our old stove sitting in the back yard. We'll be recycling it this Saturday.
    Mariann

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

Michelle, I do have your address, and thats ok with me about the quantity of your commercial seeds. I'm going to be checking out your wish list. If there are any wishes not listed, let me know!

TTYL
    Karen

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I got my packages out today, they were thickenough for the DC#
    kalena 0308 2040 0001 8762 2614
    esiuol 0308 2040 0001 8762 2621

I didn't send a hugh quantity of seeds but I think they are ones you will rilly like.

as for things I'm looking for right now....mostly looking for good seeds to start in my Aerogardens, annuals or tropicals that are less than 18" tall, flowering, or trailing.
    thanks and have a great day
    michelle

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Deb's mom passed away yesterday. I know she would appreciate everyone's prayers.
    Mariann

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I received Fran's seeds today. Fran you sent me a very nice selection!

White Hyacinth Bean
    Purple Hyacinth Bean
    Ascepias incarnata
    Ageratum Blue
    Nicotiana
    Drumstick Allium
    Lychinis coronaria
    Browalia Blue Bells
    Agastache
    Adenophora lilifolia
    Hibiscus-Blue Polka Dot
    Columbine
    Nasturtium

Thanks so much Fran. Every year I plant a few climbing annuals in my veggie garden. Next year it will be Hyacinth Bean Vines and when I see them I will think of you.
    Hugs,
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

This is the first year I grew them Mariann, I had had MY seeds since 2003 I kept putting it off. But finally decided to try them this year. I am so glad I did. The purple ones turned out to be so pretty, they have pink blooms and colored leaves. Can't appreciate them until you actually grow them!

I really hope you are happy with what I sent you.

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone!!
    First I want to tell Deb that I'm so sorry for your mother unexpected death. I will keep her in my prayers. Many huggs to you and your family.

Sencond, has anyone heard from Sue. I e-mailed her last weekend, but haven't gotten a response.

Monica

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Deb
    Very sorry to hear about your Mom, please take care of yourself.

Fran
    I love the hyacinth beans too! they are very pretty and they smell so good too! I grew them for the fist time this year, they are still blooming like mad!

I have still not heard from Sassyd either.

Have a wonderful day everyone!

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Monica-Email Sue again and if you don't hear from her let me know and I'll try.

Frances-Email Sassy she may have forgotten to check over here. She hasn't been posting much.

Fran-Forgot to tell you that I love Nasturtiums! They are pretty tasty in a salad too.
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

MAriann, I posted SOMEWHERE the list of seeds you send me, but they are gone! I don't know what happened!
    I have already mixed them with the other seeds. Now I have to redo it...AUGHHHH!

Seeds:
    Zinnia 'Peppermint Stick'
    Adenophora hybrida 'Amethyst'
    Digitalis parviflora-(c) Milk Chocolate Foxglove
    Echinacea purpurea 'Ruby Giant'
    Malva sylvestris 'Mystic Merlin'-(c) Mallow
    She sent me these extras:
    Calendula 'Pink Surprise'
    Cosmos 'Picotee'
    Prunella 'Pagoda'
    Sunflower 'Pastiche'
    Tricytrtus hirta 'White Towers'
    Zinnia 'Persian Carpet'

Thank you so much. I am so please with them.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Still no word from sassyd, I have sent 2 emails now. I hope she is alright!

Have a great day everyone

Frances

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fran-Glad your seeds arrived.

Frances-I emailed sassy. I'm worried about her too.

Is anyone planning on winter sowing??? The first year I did this I had 50+ different types of seeds. Last year only about 15 or so. My problem is that I WS so many seeds but have no place to put the plants.LOL

Hope everyone had a good weekend
    Mariann

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

Frances and Mariann....I'm here finally! lol Sorry to worry you girls but everything is fine, we've been out of town since Thursday and Frances, I don't know where your emails went but hun they're not in my in-box or spam. Anyway, let me try emailing you this time. I'm so sorry, I certainly didn't mean to be slack. DH came in and swept me away on Thursday and I haven't had internet. (I really have to ask for a laptop from Santa *wink*) LOL, yeah right, last year I asked for a TIVO and got a dvd player:(

Sassy

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

lol Sassy
    If you have "Santa's" ear let him know I would like a laptop too.... ha ha ha BTW we got a DVR from the cable company and I cannot imagine how we ever got along without one!!! Much better than a VCR, no tapes, no programming.... and usually NO commercials! Glad to hear that you are all right and were just off adventuring, sounds like great fun!

will check the email

Mariann
    I tried wintersowing last year and will probably do some again this year. It was fun and I have some lovely new plants because of it, but like you I started too many seeds! This year I have a plan!

Have a great day everyone

Frances

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I totally love winter sowing! My problem last year was running out of containers. I do very well with it. It's later in the year when it gets hot and dry that "does in" the plants. They are happy with the winter temperatures. Can't blame them - big difference between our winter temperatures and our summer temperatures!
    There is a winter sowing board on GardenWeb if anyone is not familiar with it.
    Have a good week!
    Jeanne

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jeanne-I purchased 40 containers from ShopRite (wholesale) several years ago. They are the clear plastic cake containers. The containers are about 5 1/2-6" tall and have an attached lid. Unfortunately I could only use them for one season. The assistant manager sold them to me for 10 cents each. The manager told me, the next time I came in for more, that the assistant manager under charged me. But he was still willing to charge me 10 cents. I have a few of these left and I use them for propagation. They're great! The first time I WS'd I used the WS forum a lot.

Frances-LOL I had so many plants the first year I didn't know what to do with them. I eventually turned 2 of my veggie beds into holding beds for plants. I'm not sure if I'm going to WS this year or not.
    Mariann

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Frances I just sent you an email:))

I need to check into that dvr through the cable company for sure.

Sassy

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Hi Everybody,

Michelle, your envelope went out today.

I got the seeds you sent me on Monday. Love the seeds and the purse is so cute. Thank you so much!!!

Louise

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

Frances, I just had to thank you! They're coming Tuesday to install my dvr!!!! I'm so excited and I thank you! I can't believe I haven't checked into it before, for some reason I thought it was really expenxive. Duh!!! I can definitely live with this.

Also, I'm getting your seeds together for you, hope you like what I choose:)

Sassy

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

Hi Sassy
    you are going to love it! Don't think I could ever go back to the vcr....

I hope to get to the post office on Monday, I am out of stamps again! Nut I have your seeds packed up and ready to go.

Frances

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!
    I mailed out my envelope to Sue yeasterday DC # 0306 2400 0001 1432 8732. I hope you like what I sent :)

I wanted a dvr for awhile as well, but my husband being the gadget junkie that he is found a way to get the desktop computer hooked up to the cable and now I use it to record all of the shows I don't have time to watch, and can still be used like any other computer, plus it's free!

Just don't ask me how it works since I have no idea :)

I hope everyone has a great weekend!!

Monica

• sassyd
    15 years ago

LOL Frances! Well you got that right.......I AM a nut!

I'm so looking forward to getting it hooked up:))

Monica I sure wish my dh wasn't electronically confused? lol He's mild natured until he sits in front of the computer and it doesn't immediately do what he wants! I'm serious, the man has NO temper at all until he sits in front of a computer! lol I'm always like....calm down I'll fix it! Its so funny.

• esiuol
    15 years ago

Sassy,
    That is too funny. My husband does the same thing. Electronically confused...I love it!!

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Isn't it crazy? He's the same way with the vcr/dvd contols! He goes into such a quick panick! lol

Otherwise, hes the MOST patient person I know! lol

Something about electronics drives him nuts and I mean in seconds! lol

Sassy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd love to have a DVR but we don't have a cable ready TV. There are so many wires connecting everything you'd think the whole mess could get up and walk around. My DH is also one of those people who doesn't have a clue about electronics. He can barely get to his email. He has just about mastered the remote control to the digital box connected to the TV. We've only had it for 4-5 years.LOL
    Mariann

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

OOH Sassy, I wasn't calling you a "Nut" honest, not sure where that came from ha ha ha, some sort of typo or something.... ha ha I am always doing too many things at once.

Glad you are one though, might have offended someone!

Frances

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    well I for one will also admit to being a nut, I don't have a DVR but I do have netflix and love themovies and tv shows that show up in the mail. but unless I wait till the boys are a sleep before I watch them it can take me 4 or 5 house to finish one movie.

I got my envie from Louise yesterday, she sent several (new for me) coriopsis, 2 great coneflowers , lime and ruby. and some rilly nice snapdragons. and she also sent a pritty note pad and pen.
    thank you very much for the seeds I rilly like them all, and I can never have enough note pads.

I have moved many so call "annuals" into the basement greenhouse, most were free from the local vegie market/nursery when they gave up on selling them, I now have geraniums, flowering maples, several kinds of
    fushias(SP?) and buganvillas all starting to bloom. I had several New Guinnea impations that were blooming but I decided to trim them back to goive them a more compacked shape.

of the plants I got from the cutting swap a few months ago, most of the begonias are rooted and sending out new leafs esp the dragon wing I got from Mariann it is growing like a weed. unfortunently the camillias didn't take but I have several shrimp plants, goldfish plants, bunches of 3 diffrent wandering jews, feusias, coleus, azelas are doing good, and the gardineas are all doing great I still have 2 in the aerogardens and one in a pot. thanks for all the trades this year, HUGGGS

thanks a bunch
    michelle

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Hello! I hope everyone is doing well!

Michelle, Thank You so much for your seeds and hand-knitted bag. Its beautiful! Some of the seeds I recieved were Dianthus 'Sooty', Agastache 'Apricot Sprite', Penstemon, both purple and pink, purple columbine and clematis, well, I'll just list them all (lol) Candytuft 'Fairy Mix', Wild Carnation, and Rudbeckia 'Cherokee Sunset', and also a nice card & note! I'm really eager to get these wintersown, especially the Penstemons! I'm sorry it took me so long to post that I received your fabulous envie, and I will be getting yours out by the week end.

Have a great day everyone!
    Karen

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Frances, I thought it was funny! lol And soooo true!

I'm getting your seeds together, was hoping to get them out today but did't. I'm thinking I better regroup. But they'll be out shortly I promise. They're coming tommorrow to install my dvr! Whoopie, I can't wait! I'm cleaning like a mad dog, jeez how does it get so dusty back there? Yikes:( I'm so embarrassed!

I have a mad migrane going on, I'm sure from the dust, lol.

Have a good nite all.
    Sassy

• sassyd
    15 years ago

I meant behind the TV! lol Sure glad I checked.

• Frances Coffill
    15 years ago

ha ha ha ha

Sassy I am so glad it was 'behind the TV' that was dusty! I am going to be chuckling over that for a while! I still have not made it to the post office either, really slacking this month, but I should get it out tomorrow. Its been chilly the past few days and today I dragged 2 big potted hibiscus indoors, I just can't stand to lose them yet and temperatuures are supposed to drop down into the 20's,

I guess I must be a NUT too! I'll just have to drag them back outside in the morning!

Frances

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

I received the most wonderful assortment from Monica. I'll be sending hers out soon!

I received:

Japanese Morning Glory purple w/white edge
    Japanese Morning Glory Hatsu Arushi
    Morning Glory Cameo elegance/chocolate silk mix
    Morning Glory Kniola's black knight
    Rudbeckia Double Gold
    Japanese Morning Glory Large Flowered Pink
    Rudbeckia "Cappuchino"
    Zinnia "Cherry & Ivory Swizzle"
    Zinnia "Cherry Profusion"

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Gardening to Everyone!

Sue G.

Verbascum "Banana Custard"

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Lol! Frances! (I don't think we should get into 'details') lol I am already addiced to my dvr!

I'll have to admit I've let the month get the better of me, but I have your seed package ready and will have them out by Tuesday, I promise. I have Kenzie tonight and tommorrow so it may be Tues. I'm so sorry, I can't believe I let the month run away from me like this.

Mariann & Michelle please don't give up on me, I'm just running late.

Hugs,
    Sassy

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sue-WOW those are some great seeds you received from Monica!

Sassy-How is that dvr coming along?

Michelle started a new thread for Dec. We plan on a simple swap so check it out.

Hope everyone is having a great week.
    Mariann

• sassyd
    15 years ago

Mariann, girl I love that thing! I can't believe I've been without one all this time.

Frances I got my seeds today, funny thing was I had gone to the po to mail yours. lol

Anyway, Frances sent me Celosia Flamingo Feather, Tagets Ternifolia, 4 o'clocks Broken Mix, Red Yucca, Purple Hyachith Beans and Sweet William. Thanks so much Frances, love them all and thank you for your kind and very true words in your note, that was so sweet of you. I have to apologize, I was in such a rush to get the the po before the crowd shows up, I forgot to include a note but do hope you enjoy the seeds I chose for you:)

Have good evening everyone and in case I don't get back in here in time, I hope you all have a very happy Thanksgiving with your family and friends.

Sassy

• karenh71867
    15 years ago

Michelle, your seeds went out today! I'm sorry for taking so long! I hope you like them :)

have a great day y'all! and Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Karen

• galium
    Original Author
    15 years ago

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
    It is pouring rain here for which we are most thankful!

Haven't had rain since August 31st.......

Sue G.

• mommyto2
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!
    I hope all of you had a great and safe Thanksgiving!!!
    I wanted to let Sue know that I got your seeds and boy am I excited :) She sent me
    Torara - paitner's palette (which I was hoping someone could tell me a little about this seed since I couldn't find anything about it when I searched )
    zexmenia (also don't know much about)
    geranium - paint box mix
    asclepias - cinderella (really wanted this one, doing my happy dance)
    asclepias - gay butterflies (happy dance)
    vinca - raspberry cooler
    sweet pea - miss willmott
    sunflower - teddy bear
    vigna caracalla (another happy dance)
    pandorea jasminoides - variegated (I know I'm going to love this one)

Thanks Sue for the great seeds!! Now if only spring get here soon :)

I wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas!!!

Monica

• Michelle Reynolds
    15 years ago

hello
    I got my package of seeds from kalena yesterday
    she sent a wonderfull assortment
    banans, cosmos(little prinsess, verbens(imagination), viola(skippy), dianthus(heart attack)and more
    thank you very much for all the great seeds, I just love them.
    well on to the dec post
    michelle