Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_mn

NEW: 5th Annual Rare-Unusual-Named Variety Seed Exchange

Julie
15 years ago

Hi there!

I would like to welcome you to the 5th Annual Rare/Unusual/Named Variety seed exchange!

This is an exchange for named variety, rare or unusual seeds whether they are annuals, perennials, vegetables, herbs, trees- any kind of seed will do, hand collected- (that we all know may or may not actually come true to form when lovingly gathered from your own gardens) or commercial- as long as it meets the criteria of named variety, rare or unusual seed.

Every one is welcome to join! This is not just for "Newbies" or "Old Hands"- it is for anyone wishing to participate!

You can send as many seed packs as you like- but only 5 (or so) packs of each specific seed please. That way we can have a larger diversity of seeds to exchange, and a smaller chance of doubling up on the return envelopes.

You will receive back as many packs as you sent in- and there may be bonus packs as we do seem to have several generous folks who offer their abundant seeds with abandon by sending in more than they want back. Due to lack of my usual "Gardening Frenzy" this year, because of family health matters, I am unable to insure bonus packs for all from my own stash this year- but I will try to send you more back than sent in!

Just for clarification-

A named variety is a cultivar of a particular type of plant such as- Gaillardia FanfareÂ. Gaillardia is the name of the plant, and ÂFanfare is the variety. Another example would be - Black Eyed Susan - Rudbeckia hirta ÂPrairie SunÂ. Rudbeckia hirta is the Latin name of the plant- ÂPrairie Sun is the variety- Black Eyed Susan is the common name, hirta is not a variety name. The color of the plant is usually not the variety name.

I figure the general amount of seed in each packet should be close to 6-12 for large seeds, 24 or so for the usual size and a nice healthy pinch of the tiny seed. If you are feeling generous- go right ahead- and know that your seeds will be well appreciated! Generosity has itÂs own rewards!!

Understanding rare seed is just that- rare and hard to find- the amounts may vary than the suggestions listed above- but please try to send the amount of seed you would like to receive. We all like to feel as good about the giving as the receiving.

I would ask that if you send mostly veggies in- be prepared to receive mostly veggies back. Not every one is open to trading their flowers for vegetables. I cannot absorb 100Âs of veggie seed packets myself but I will do my best to be fair. Also, if there are seeds sent in that do not fit the requirement such as "yellow marigolds", (unknown) "Ornamental Grass" with no other name given, or "sweet" corn- I will need to return those to the sender. Somebody somewhere will LOVE those seeds- I have a few of those "no names" myself, to share and to grow, but as wonderful as they may be- they do not belong in this exchange.

If you are interested, please post below by November 23rd. I will send you an E-Mail through your GW Page- with info you may need- and where to send your seeds.

Individually packaged and labeled trade ready viable seeds should be sent in a sturdy bubble mailer with your GW name on the outside of it, to me by November 29th with:

1) Return postage equal to what it cost you to send, a return address label, and if you wish, postage to cover a confirmation slip upon returning to you.

2) A list of things you would like or are interested in or a copy of your want list from your trade page, what ever is easier, with your GW name on it -and a total number of seed packets sent in.

Please know- I will make every effort to find your wants if the seeds are available!

And- well- now that finding folks wants has been mentioned, I would like to ask you, if you can find the time or have the willingness to look through the others wish lists posted on their GW Page to see if you can fill someoneÂs wishes with your seed offerings, that would be most appreciated! It is going above and beyond- but I believe it is what makes this exchange so wonderful! It's not just the seeds them selves, it is the thought and caring put into selecting them, by so many who sign up.

It is also very much appreciated when you identify whom the packet of seeds should go to, without writing their name on the packet if at all possible. Placing multiple packets into separate baggies with the intended named on the outer bag- or taping packets to another small sheet of paper with the name on the paper- or paper slips inside the clear baggies- are all very effective ways to identify to whom the seeds should go to- without actually writing the name on the packet. I may miss an opportunity to give someone what you intended to give them or is wanted if they are not identified in this way- There are tons-o-seeds to go through and so little time ;-0

I ask that the intendedÂs name not be put directly on the packet in the event that I cannot send the seeds to the intended. If some one who sent in 20 packets asked for say Gaillardia Fanfare- and 10 people sent in packets for that person- I would not want to send them all 10 Gaillardia Fanfare packets back. I would want to send them 20+ different packets, one of them being Gaillardia Fanfare. This way- no one will think they have gotten seeds they shouldnÂt have- because they received a packet with someone elseÂs name written on it.

I hope to have all your new seeds back to you in January 2009, after the holiday rush. This will give me time to sort for everyone- and avoid the Holiday Mail rush!

If you have any questions at all- please let me know-

Thanks for looking, and hereÂs to a great swap!!

Julie

Julie_MN @ GardenWeb

Comments (88)

• sheltieche
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Colcol, I do not think there is simple explanation how to learn what is rare and uncommon. It is all in the eye of beholder.
    If you are thinking of joining this swap and worry that you do not have enough " uncommon" seeds, am sure Julie will disabuse you of this notion. There is always surplus of what seasoned veterans of Winter sowing send so you will get started in no time. Please, join us!

• sandysgardens
    15 years ago

This sure does look like it's going to be a GREAT swap.

Alana - I wouldn't mind you putting my name on a packet of Holiday Cheer and Pimente Cambuci if still available. Ornamental pepper plants are fun to tuck in here and there around the garden and in amongst flower plants in containers.

Remy - Your tomato list is fabulous! I wouldn't mind trying any of the following - Polish Pastel, Monkey's A$$, Brad's Black Heart, Germaid Red, Red Penna or Depp's Pink Firefly, or any that you recommend.

Sandy

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Melinda and Sandy, I will mark the peppers you mentioned for you.
    I'm going to update my wish list this weekend. I have been reviewing everyone elses lists-you guys are giving me ideas!

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey there Colcol-
    I agree with LindaLana- go with what pleases you- I know I find I am attracted to different plants- things I have not seen or tried before- and sometimes find that they are rare- So I guess by lookin' around in gardens- photos- catalogs and by doing web searches you will find (way too) many plants that will tickle your fancy!
    You may really want to consider signing up for this exchange- every one here is looking to send in their treasures to share- and enjoying the treasures returned to them!
    I might suggest that you do like I do and look online or at garden centers and buy a few seed packets now, that you really want to try for yourself next year- and hope or find out in advance, that there will be enough seed in those purchased packets to supply you with a few for you- and a few to share. Pack up the extras and send them in to this swap. You will at least double your initial investment of seeds and plants(and enjoyment) for the price of postage to and from this swap. Next year- you will be able to harvest those seeds and buy a couple more- and share them on again!
    I really couldn't think of a better way to start or expand your gardens than joining in an exchange like this here in GardenWeb.

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I would like to join in as well.
    Jeanne

• kristlindgren
    15 years ago

I would like to join also. Please let me know the details. I have lots of seeds to share.

Kris

• stevenwayne
    15 years ago

sign me up this sounds so cool

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

OK, I've finally harvested enough or found enough to feel like I might be able to contribute something to this trade.
    I would like to join too. Anything "in quotes" on my trade list is fair game.
    Looking forward to it.
    George

• drippy
    15 years ago

To my fellow swappers - I had to post this on the last swap I was in, too:

Earlier in the season, when I was sorting & packing seeds from my garden, I labeled the first one of each variety "mine", and subsequent ones "trade". If you receive a pack of seeds from me in this swap marked "trade" (I have tried to eliminate all those markings), it is seed that came from my garden, not that I received in trade. I am choosing to only send commercial seeds or seeds from my garden, as I haven't kept good enough records of the germination success of trade seeds (although I'd bet over 90% have been fine).

• gardendee
    15 years ago

I am a newbie and this is my first time with round robin. It sounds like fun so I'm in.
    Please let me know where to send the seeds.
    Thanks.

Dee

• colcol
    15 years ago

Julie MN,
    Thank you very much for the excellent suggestion!!! In playing around on the WWW -- www.seedman.com has a 50% off Thanksgiving sale! Oh what fun!!!
    I plan to participate in next yrs swap.
    :)

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh MY! Thanks Colcol for the heads up!
    As I remember, Seedsman's sales are really great!! I have overdone it once or twice there myself in the past.... I think I will have to try to behave better this time around.
    I wonder how fast they send out their seeds these days... Pretty quick I hope! I would like to share some from that sale I can tell already!
    We are at the half way point for sign ups- with 34 folks signed up- It sure looks like this will be a great swap!!
    If you are sittin' on the fence thinking about signing up- come on- don't be shy- join in on the fun!

• jaynine
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Remy suggested I stop in; please sign me up. Looks like a good time. Thanks, Remy!
    Janine

ps i have around 30 items from the very first 'looking for' list i looked at! this is great!

• remy_gw
    15 years ago

Janine,
    I'm glad you stopped by!

Sandy,
    I'll get a bunch of tomatoes together for you : )
    Remy

• vikingkirken
    15 years ago

Julie,

I have some (named) varieties that aren't particularly rare, but I see on people's "want" lists... can I include them, with a note for who to give them to?

Lori

• momcat
    15 years ago

Please include me, too.

Thanks,
    Deb

• roflol
    15 years ago

Heya, Julie! Enjoyed this swap very much last year. I sent a GWeb message asking if my little collection of 15 packets total could be included - please let me know if you didn't receive?

Lori - unless things have changed, your seeds can be from rare *or* unusual *or* named varieties; I don't think they have to be all three simultaneously. That's been my interpretation of the instructions anyway. :]

Terri

• shadyside
    15 years ago

Hi Julie--my seeds will be mailed Monday, November 17th. Thanks--Susan

• jaynine
    15 years ago

Hi,
    Can I have mailing info, please?? Thanks.
    Janine

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

Hi Julie, I'd like to join too. I've been in on this one in the past and really enjoyed it.

Sue G.

• jeanne
    15 years ago

I don't venture over to the Round Robin forum very often but I just saw this and would love to sign up! Please send me details, and thanks so much for hosting, Julie!

Jeanne

• vikingkirken
    15 years ago

Julie,

My seeds are in the mail!

Thanks,
    Lori

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW- What a difference a weekend can make!
    We have some new and past participants signed up- Welcome to you all! AND- seeds on their way!! WHEW!
    I do hope I have gotten everyone the welcome letter with way too much information and my addy on it- I have been trying to send it out as soon as I am able- Please let me know if you are still in need of any information.
    Lori- Terri was correct in her interpretation of this swap- or is the key word- that word opens it up to more players- and more seeds!
    Also Lori- When sending seeds in for specific folks- a note is better than nothing! A note means the sorter will have to "dive" into the pile of your seeds sent in for every packet written on that note. However- if you tape or staple or place into baggies each individuals packets of seeds- they come presorted from you and can be easily and quickly sorted into the intendeds return envelope!
    Thanks so much all of you who have joined up and are busy looking for treasures to send in- and to send to one another! You guys make this swap so good!!

• atravers
    15 years ago

Hi.
    Slow in posting a quick list of things I'm looking for. Haven't updated my trade list and am really behind with things being pretty busy still. Was hoping things would settle down by now but they're not.

Will check people's exchange pages over the next week to include some seeds I have for those that match up.

Some seeds I'll be packaging up for this exchange:
    Asarina 'Mystic Rose'
    Purple Majesty Millet
    Yellow Tithonia (see November 3rd posting on link below)
    Mina lobata 'Spanish Flame Vine' (see right hand side bar on link below)
    Salvia coccinea 'Texas Hummingbird Sage'
    Salvia farinacea 'Victoria Blue'
    Salvia coccinea 'Snow Nymph'
    Stokesia laevis (see right hand side bar on link below)
    Echinacea 'Kim's Mophead'
    Lobelia siphilitica 'Great Blue Lobelia'
    Platycodon 'Hakone White' (see bottom of page on link below)
    Capsicum 'Twilight'

Here's a short list of seeds I'm looking for:
    Nasturtium - variegated leaf varieties (e.g., 'Jewel of Africa')
    Nepeta 'Blue Moon'
    Nigella - 'White Bride's Veil' and blue or purple varieties (e.g., 'Miss Jekyll', 'Moody Blues', 'Oxford Blue', 'Curosity')
    Ornamental Grass Millium effusus 'Aureum' (golden yellow millet grass)
    Ornamental Millet 'Jester'
    Ornamental peppers 'Medusa', 'Chilly Chili', 'Explosive Ember', 'Shu' or other variegated leaf varieties
    Poppy (rhoeas) 'Cedric Morris', 'Angel's Choir', 'Picotee Mixed'
    Zinnia 'Profusion'

Thanks and looking forward to this great exchange again!
    Ann

• roflol
    15 years ago

Seeds were sent on their way about an hour ago. Hope they are found to be useful :]

Terri ;]

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The first seeds have arrived- Peaches 20- Your envelope has arrived safely! Lori and Terri- I will be on the lookout ;*)
    We have 5 more days left to sign up- and more time to gather and sort and send in your seeds-
    I have been packing and sorting and am still cleaning some seeds- and even hoping to gather a few of the late bloomers as they ripen- and waiting for a few purchased seeds to arrive yet- I hope they send them in a hurry!

Julie

• vikingkirken
    15 years ago

Julie,

Sorry, I was unclear... by "note" I meant someone's name on a scrap of paper taped to the seed envelope =) I tried to do that for single ones, or put several in a baggie with a slip of paper, wherever I could. Trying to make your life easier!

I wasn't sure how many packs people usually send for this... I stopped at 30 total (including some multiples), just burnt out on making envelopes and packing seeds! I hope that is a reasonable number--not too much(?) I am doing two other swaps as well, I DO have a way of jumping in with both feet on my newest obsessions, and overdoing it........... =)

Lori

• patty_b
    15 years ago

Julie, My seeds were mailed yesterday....also look for an email from me. Thanks, Patty

• minnesuing
    15 years ago

hi julie,

i mailed my seeds today. i just have too much stuff to do before we leave for thanksgiving. hope they arrive safely.

karin

• kristlindgren
    15 years ago

My seeds are going out tomorrow. Thank you for holding this wonderful swap.

Kris

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

I need the mailing info when you get time please.

Thanks,

Joan

• drippy
    15 years ago

Hi, Julie - my seeds will be on their way tomorrow - couldn't fit them all in a mailer, so the mailer's in a box. I am sending it priority mail, so hopefully you will have it by the weekend.

Thanks for doing this AGAIN! (Are you saying "What was I thinking?" yet?):)

• suecirish
    15 years ago

Julie, I mailed out my seeds today. They are on the way!
    Sue

• maria
    15 years ago

Hi Julie,

Hope it's not too late to sign up for this swap. PLMK. Thanks.

Maria

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

Hi, Julie -
    I signed up about 2 weeks ago but haven't gotten any instructions... that got me a bit worried to see that some people have already mailed out their seeds!
    Will be waiting to hear from you.
    Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving,
    Jeanne

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there-

Maria- nope- it's not too late at all- Welcome, glad you could join in the fun!

Joan and Jeanne- So sorry for the delay- I show I sent letters through your GW pages already- I will send another this evening through your GW pages- Let me know if it does not arrive. I have had a couple of notes sent to me from this exchange end up in my "spam" filter- I am glad I thought to peek in there every once in a while.

Every one who has signed up above should have gotten a letter with my address- if not- please let me know and I will send another and keep tryin' till you receive one!

I have received more envelopes! Patty_B - Frances and Terri, your seeds have all arrived safely!
    Looks like I will have to get my trusty laundry basket converted to a file cabinet up and ready for seedy pleasures again!

Say Patty, I did not see a recent e-mail from you as you had mentioned above- care to send again please?

Drippy- Say what?? A box?!?!? He he he.... Rumor has it- it won't be the only 'too many seeds for an envelope' box to arrive here! Thanks for the heads up!

Julie

• sandlapper_rose
    15 years ago

I got the e-mail from you this time - second time's the charm! Thanks. I won't be sending many packets of seeds because I am in the middle of a seed swap that I am hosting. (Right now I am amazed that some of you special gardeners actually host a major seed swap a second time!)
    ...but what can I say, I wanted to play, too!
    Happy Thanksgiving and I will get my seeds mailed out ASAP.
    Jeanne

• patty_b
    15 years ago

Julie, Resent the email this morning. Thanks for letting me know seeds arrived safely. Happy Thanksgiving, Patty

• jaynine
    15 years ago

small box mailed today!

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

I just wanted to say I am working on the seeds, and will get them out soon...wanted to wish everyone a ....

" Happy Thanksgiving"

• nuthatch_mo
    15 years ago

Julie,
    I sent out my packet today. Hope it arrives soon.
    Nancy

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there!
    More SEEDS have arrived! Minnesuing- Vikingkirken- Kristlingren- GardenDee - and Drippy's rather LARGE box have all arrived!! Good thing they came on Friday- It may take all weekend to get them sorted!!
    I know what I will be stayin' up late doing!!
    HE he he he....
    Julie

• gee_oh_nyc
    15 years ago

Hi Julie,
    Sending out my seeds to you. Thanks for all the hard work on what looks to be an exciting trade.
    Peace
    George

• ejmoore510
    15 years ago

Julie,
    Sorry to be a pain, but could you resend the email with your addy? I still didn't receive. :(

Thanks,
    Joan

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there-
    No worries Joan, I have sent it again ;*)- I am sending through your GW page- I do hope that is the right address?!? Have you checked your spam filter? Will it allow you to receive mail through GW? If you do not receive it this time I suggest you send an email to me through my GW page and I will reply back to you. Your email should accept a reply back from itself.... Sorry this info is not getting to you!

I have received another envelope from Shadyside today!

I have been a bit busy with seeds this morning... Probably will be an all day thing... I guess the chores will have to wait a bit (longer)!!

We have a little something for everyone already- you guys are doing a great job with finding treasures for each other!

Later-
    Julie

• chellflower
    15 years ago

I would love to join in o this swap..it sounds like lots of fun!

Chellflower

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome ChellFlower!
    I will send you the info right away!
    Anyone else thinking about joining in the fun? Please post soon! Tomorrow is the last day to sign up.

• tammymn
    15 years ago

If anyone would like Malibur Spinich its from Parks Seeds send me an email or Julie and I will make sure I mark some for you. Anyone who see my pot with 10 foot stakes and they trellis right up and then I train it to go back down. ITs very tasty and also has deep pink vine and also will flowe tiny pink buds. Its also great it my vegtable lasagna. Its very cool and usually Park Seed sells out. I put 4 or 5 plants in a pot and its like Jacck in the Bean Stalk. TammyMN

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I mailed my seeds this morning. Have a great day,
    Alana

• Julie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi there-

Signing up for this years RUNV exchange is now closed- Please look in this forum about the same time next year for this exchange if you are interested in participating.

For those of you already signed up- Please use the UPDATE thread for further postings-

Thanks!

Julie