Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smitties50

new-mnf november swap-i am thankful

smitties
10 years ago

MNF-November thankful swap begins.

Throughout the years, many of us have made wonderful friendships here on GW. Even though we have never met our friends in person, (although on occasion, some of us have actually met), we all share our gardens, thoughts, family antics, challenges, losses and so much more. I thought November would be a good month to show our thanks to the friends we have made. I am thankful for all the friends I have made over the years.

For this swap, I am asking that we send one or two items to our friend that they can use on Thanksgiving day as a reminder of this friendship. Something that can be used while preparing the big meal, dishtowel, potholder, food item etc. or placed on the table as you gather with your family and friends, napkins, figurine, utensil, anything, use your imagination. Something that when used or looked at, your friend will think of you that day.

In addition, I would like those of you who sign up to let me know if you would be willing to use a recipe from another Gardenweb friend during your Thanksgiving meal. I then ask you to email me a recipe to share with someone else. If you agree to sharing a recipe, I will be randomly assigning recipes to be used in the meal. After Thanksgiving, you can review the recipe here with us.

We will be posting recipes during the month but please don't post the one you will be emailing to me.

I also would like you to send seeds for plants that would be used in a meal such as vegies, herbs, etc. Maybe something that would actually be in the recipe you send.

So in review for this swap.

1. Send a friend something to be used during their Thanksgiving swap. (one or two items)
2. Would you like to use a recipe for your meal? If so, be sure to email me one you want to share.
3. Seeds for something that would be used in a Thanksgiving meal.

Partners assigned November 15th.
Packages mailed by November 20th. Please be prompt so the item intended will be used on Thanksgiving day, November 28th.

I will be posting a couple games so be sure to watch for those as well.

I am keeping this swap small since the holidays are coming and finances can become a burden. Send something nice that you would like to have on your table or use in your kitchen. You can send priority or regular mail just as long as the package arrives in time. Please use delivery confirmation no matter how you send the package.

I hope many of you can join in the sharing of our friendship. I thank all of you who have made the past year a time of enjoyment with our interactions here on Gardenweb.

Margo

Comments (105)

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am a little late today because I had the opportunity to go out and get some long overdue cleanup in the garden. The temps are good but the winds are strong. A cold front is heading our way and we are in the path of the strong storms headed across the country. Counties west of us are under tornado watches so its only a matter if time before we r too.

I still plan to mail my package tomorrow and will post after I do so. Here are todays super selection Sunday words

turkey
    Rolls

so far pulled words are

nap
    Gardenweb
    eating
    turkey
    rolls

Time for recipes. How about posting your favorite roll/bread recipe. I just love the smell of bread baking. I refuse to buy a bread maker because that would be all I would eat.

Margo

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Margo, we had the tornado warnings down here in Kettering, sirens going off all over the place. None were sited tho. Strong winds all day, pretty clear right now.

Jayeanne, will be watching for the package and I know I'll enjoy it!

Rolls? I always plan to do something different, but end up doing the quick and easy tube types, turning them into garlic rolls, however, I'll post one that I would like to do this year, maybe I even will!!

Have a great evening!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good Monday all. The wind has died down but not before knocking down my metal bird bath and breaking off the little birds perched on the side. I thought I had taken care of everything that might get damaged. Someones small plastic table ended up on our driveway minus a leg. No point in trying to find the owner.

Todays bingo word is

sweet potatoes

Off to mail my box. Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had to go to my daughters apartment and get her food from her fridge because their power has been out since 5::30 last evening. After putting it in our spare fridge, (they are lucky we have that because they had just shopped and it would never have fit in ours. I then went to the post office and mailed my box to Nikki

DC 9505 5000 2693 3322 0000 68

Now as for my recipe for Thanksgiving roll/bread, I do biscuits from my Better Homes and Garden cookbook.

Drop biscuits

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1/3 cup shortening
    1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet; set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk, stirring just until moistened. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet.

3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Makes 10 to 12 biscuits.

I can make them garlicky or cheesy as well. They are always a hit when nice and warm.

Margo

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Whoo hoo hoo I am really thankful today. It's the second full day that I have felt like myself again in weeks. Seemed that I felt more like frankenstein, head too big to hold up feet and hands dragging while I tried to shuffel around. Sounds comical now but it sure wasn't while it lasted. Whatever this bug was is pretty potent. Jack is still struggling but gradually improving too.
    That's a lot to be thankful for. Prayers and best wishes to all with illness and those in the midwest storm areas.
    Bethb

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad you're feeling better Beth.

Where is everyone? We need recipes. Speaking of recipes. I wil be sending recipes to everyone tomorrow. Please dont post who it is from. I hope you will prepare and serve the recipe at Thanksgiving. Then I would like you to post how you enjoyed it, what it was, and who you think sent it. Deadline for that will Saturday the 30th. A small prize to those who guess correctly.

Today the bingo word is wishbone. How are you all doing with the game?

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Margo, I will try your recipe for drop rolls. I am simply terribe when it comes to making rolls. Yours sounds great!

Now my recipe...Not a roll recipe per se, but close enough. I love Popovers and have tried many recipes. I am always looking for the BEST POPOVER. I must say, I have not found it yet. This one is pretty good. Courtesy of Ina Garten...

POPOVERS (INA GARTEN FOOD NETWORK)

MAKES 12 popovers

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus softened butter for greasing pans
    1 1/2 cups flour
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
    1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Generously grease aluminum popover pans or Pyrex custard cups with softened butter. You'll need enough pans to make 12 popovers. Place the pans in the oven for exactly 2 minutes to preheat. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, salt, eggs, milk, and melted butter until smooth. The batter will be thin. Fill the popover pans less than half full and bake for exactly 30 minutes. Do not peek while baking.

Happy Tuesday!

Annie

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone! Home safe and sound!
    And just in case I've never said this: I really hate driving thro Toledo - 13 exits? Oh please!

Margo, got home in time to mail your package out this afternoon. Should be there by Thursday or Friday, hope you enjoy! I have the DC# if needed.

I'll be back later with my recipe!
    Shirley!

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Here is a recipe for rolls that I want to try this year. I gave up making "from scratch" rolls/biscuits long ago. Usually I just get the tube types and spread them with butter and garlic salt before baking. This recipe is another take on that idea:

Hidden Valley Ranch Crescent Rolls:
    Ingredients:
    1 tube crescent rolls
    1 pkg. dried Hidden Valley Ranch dressing
    1 egg yolk
    1 tsp. water

Beat yolk and water, spread over rolls.
    Sprinkle with Ranch Dressing and roll up.
    Place on greased baking sheet and bake at 375 for 11-12 minutes.

Well, it's a little bit different.
    Talk to ya all tomorrow!
    Shirley!

• nikkineel
    10 years ago

wow, these recipes sound great! Sorry to have been MIA lately - the week before a break is crazy for teachers and add a full moon in there....YUK
    I did get to send Annie's package out today. I had fun putting it together and I found the cutest thing.... so appropriate with all these recipes coming. I won't spoil it for you Annie.
    Bingo question- How many words do we need before saying bingo? all of them? It may have been explained already and I missed it.
    Yall have a great Wednesday!
    Nikki

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Nikki...you need to get the "12" BINGO selections you sent to Margo. Once you have all 12, call BINGO! Looking forward to "the cutest thing"...LOL!

Jayeanne, I sent your MNF and OBF swaps out together yesterday late afternoon...priority flat rate. I actually was able to get both swaps in the flat rate padded envelope to my surprise....I did remove two items from their boxes, but they should be fine. Let me know if anything is broken! MNF (I AM THANKFUL) is wrapped in RED TISSUE with a PINK envelope and OBF (THANKSGIVING BLESSINGS) is wrapped in WHITE TISSUE with a WHITE envelope. Delivery should be Thursday or Friday.
    Tracking label # 9114901159815338566452

Shirley, these rolls sound good! The dry Ranch Dressing mix, nice twist!!!!

Happy Day!!

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 12:10

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sorry I am late with the Bingo word. I had a store meeting this morning so was out earlier than usual.

Before I give the word, I want to post that I received Shirley's box today and was thrilled with the contents. She sent the cutest metal decorative pumpkin that is already setting on the table. I figured why wait til Thanksgiving day to think of my thoughtful friend. She also sent pretty dinner napkins that I will definitely be using at dinner. There was a cute card with acorn squash seeds to plant in the spring. Can't wait. Thank you Shirley for the super box. I will be thinking of you on Thanksgiving day when I look at the pumpkin and use the napkins. Thinking of you will remind me of how we met on GW and that will remind me of all my GW friends that I am thankful for. :)

Now the word today is

November

I will be emailing everyone their recipes today. Please try to serve your item on Thanksgiving day or maybe even before. I hope you will post how it turned out and take a guess at whose recipe it is.

Thanks Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, recipes are sent. Please let me know if you did not get yours or if you have any questions. I did my best to make sure you did not receive your own recipe so hopefully, I did it all ok.

Margo

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Margo, glad you enjoyed the box, can you believe it was HARD to find something for Thanksgiving? The card was kind of snarky but it made me laugh!
    And yes, I got the recipe. I'm going to try to persuade my daughter to make it instead of what she usually brings - oops, almost gave it away!
    Work is done for the day and I am VERY thankful for that!
    Shirley!

• nikkineel
    10 years ago

yahoo! I received my box from Margo today:

a pretty potholder with a birdhouse and seed packet on it - I will get to think of you often with this one Margo, so useful!

a solar dancing turkey! how cute is that?!? He will be in my dining room window for the thanksgiving meal:)

pretty thanksgiving napkins and an acrylic napkin holder to put them in. I finally will not have to ask my sister in law to bring her napkin holder to family gatherings... I will have my own I especially like that its acrylic so you can see the pretty napkins in it for seasonal gatherings.

and last but not least SEEDS:
    black beauty zucchini
    chives
    sweet basil
    orange scented thyme
    carrot paisienne

I love everything!!!! Thanks so much Margo and for all of my gardenweb friends - I am thankful for you all.
    Nikki

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Jayeanne! Thank you for such a great package! The chocolate covered orange marshmellow pumpkin is already history!

I got a Happy Turkey Day card with three packs of seeds inside: Lettuce Mesclun, French Thyme and sage, which is one I really needed. Jayeanne also sent a beautiful t-towel with owls and leaves on it - whoever dries the dishes after dinner on Thanksgiving will be using this! A package of Thanksgiving napkins, a spiced pumpkin tart (candle) and a cute little spatula decorated with leaves. Jayeanne, this was wonderful, everything will be put to use over the holidays. Thank you, thank you! Such thoughtfulness!

Well, gotta go check out the game, oops, wrong swap! Gonna check it out anyway!
    Shirley!

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good morning. I am glad to see packages arriving well in time for Thanksgiving. Great packages too. It looks like the others should be arriving any day.

Today's Bingo word is

squash

So far, the words pulled are

nap
    Gardenweb
    eating
    turkey
    rolls
    sweet potatoes
    wishbone
    November
    squash

Does anyone want to post a recipe using potatoes?

Have a good day. Margo

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Hey Annie! Your wonderful package arrived! =)

-an amazing selection of seeds...Kolhrabi -early purple vienna, carrot - parisienne, Rutabaga - american purple top, onion - walla walla sweet (yum!) Runner beans - sunset, Butterhead lettuce (yum!), greens - corn salad dutch, Runner beans - golden sunshine, and papalo.

- something "pink" that i might need while cooking the fat bird.... a pink bell that says "ring for a drink" **love this!** LOL

- the original microplane zester/grater tool. wow! Annie! I will most definitely be using this, on a daily basis! lol I love to grate my own cheese, garlic and things - this will come in handy! thank you!

Thank you so much Annie for the wonderful package, loved everything! (i hear that pink bell ringing...LOL)
    thanks again for everything =) I appreciate it.
    Jayeanne

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Shirley -

So glad you enjoyed your package, my girls helped me put that together and we had fun together while doing it. They had a hard time leaving that chocolate covered orange marshmellow pumpkin in there, I was kinda wondering if that would get to you, or if they would sneak it outta there.... ha ha ha.

Hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving =)
    Jayeanne

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unless I missed a post, we are just waiting for Annie's package to arrive and the sending and receiving is complete.

I hope everyone will continue to stop by for Bingo words and recipe sharing. Don't forget to share your reports on the recipes you will be preparing for Thanksgiving day and your guess as to who may have sent it.

See you for the next Bingo word tomorrow. Margo

• nikkineel
    10 years ago

Wow! That was quick. Tracking says that Annie's package was delivered today so I'm sure we will be hearing from her soon.
    All the packages sound great - what a fun swap!
    I will be checking in for the bingo words and recipe guesses, etc.
    Happy Friday!
    Nikki

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nikki, we look forward to hearing about Annie's package.

TGIF - today's Bingo word is corn.

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Margo, I will post a potato dish today....

Here I am, the last one to report. Nikki, I just went out to get yesterdays mail and found your package on the porch.

Oh my, you sent me way to much! WOW!

Here we go.....

*Beet seeds Tall Top Early Wonder

*Cilantro seeds

*Better Homes and Gardens magazine, November issue

*50, yes 50, Glad jumbo bulbs "Brilliance" (RED)

*a WELCOME sign with a pumpkin ....This is really cool. The sign is about 9 x 8 with a hanger. It is made out of sheet metal/tin, very colorful and has a glitter like finish. I really like this!

*Pomegranite Cranberry soap...nice! I almost want to eat it!!

*Silver Measuring Spoons....these are BEAUTIFUL measuring spoons. Each of the four spoons has a bird
    on the end of the spoon handle. The spoons are shovels. The measurement amount on each spoon (ie 1 TABLESPOON, 1 TEASPOON, 1/2 TEASPOON, 1/4 TEASPOON) will never come off as they are raised. These are durable, sturdy, heavy spoons. So charming, fun, cute...kind of whimsical! They are now hanging off of my kitchenaide on the counter. Why hide them?

Nikki, thank you so much!!!! Truly wonderful! Also, received your email...will get back to you today!

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 16:49

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Just dropping by to say HI and to let everyone know that I am not doing well with Bingo, just in case you were wondering! How is everyone else doing?
    Margo, will post a potato recipe soon, need to find the one I want, need it for Thanksgiving too, so I'd better get moving!
    Still haven't talked my daughter into making my secret recipe for Thanksgiving. Drat, might have to do it myself :(

Have a great weekend,
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Potato time...here is a recipe, not mashed potatoes...LOL!

I made German Potato Dumplings for the third time in my life a couple of months ago. I think I found this recipe on Food.com or allrecipes. Serve with beef roast and gravy, sauerbraten etc.

Kartoffelkloesse (German Potato Dumplings)

1 1/2 lbs russet potatoes ( about 2 large)
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour ( or more)
    1/8 cup cornstarch (or potato starch, much preferred, if you can get it)
    1 large egg
    2 slices sourdough or 2 slices white bread (good quality)
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    1 tablespoon corn oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Trim crusts off bread and save them for another use.
    Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes and fry in butter and oil mixture until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel to dry.
    Cook scrubbed, unpeeled potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 45 minutes.
    Drain, cool slightly, peel and cut potatoes into large pieces.
    Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
    Mash potatoes with fork or run through ricer into large bowl.
    Mix in salt and nutmeg.
    Add 1/2 cup flour and cornstarch.
    Using hands, knead mixture in bowl until smooth dough forms, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if dough is sticky.
    Mix in egg.
    Form dough into balls, using 1/4 cupful for each.
    Insert bread cube into center of each dumpling; roll dumpling between palms to enclose bread cube completely and form smooth balls.
    Working in batches, cook dumplings in large pot of nearly boiling salted water 10-15 minutes (or until dumplings rise to top).
    Using slotted spoon, transfer dumplings to large bowl.
    Keep covered with a damp kitchen towel as remaining dumplings are cooked.
    You should place no more than 4-5 dumplings in your pot at any one time in order to prevent them from sticking together or touching during cooking, which will cause them to fall apart.

Happy Friday evening!

Annie

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sounds yummy Annie..

I am so pleased that we were all so quick with your packages and everyone has received them well in advance of Thanksgiving. It will be fun knowing that we will all have reminders of our GW friends as we celebrate a time of thanksgiving.

Here is a recipe I found that is a make ahead mashed potato.

9 medium potatoes (3 pounds)
    3/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup whipping (heavy) cream
    1/2 cup butter or margarine
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

1. Scrub potatoes. Leave skins on, if desired, or peel thinly and remove eyes. Cut into large pieces. Heat 1 inch water (salted if desired) to boiling in 3-quart saucepan; add potato pieces. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cook covered 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Shake pan gently over low heat to dry potatoes.
    2 Heat milk, whipping cream, butter, salt and pepper in 1-quart saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted. Measure out 1/4 cup of the milk mixture; cover and refrigerate.
    3 Add remaining milk mixture in small amounts to potatoes in medium bowl, mashing with potato masher or electric mixer after each addition. (Amount of milk needed to make potatoes smooth and fluffy depends on kind of potatoes used.) Beat vigorously until potatoes are light and fluffy.
    4 Spray 2-quart casserole with cooking spray. Spoon potatoes into casserole. Bake immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
    5 Heat oven to 350ºF. Pour reserved milk mixture over potatoes. Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes or until potatoes are hot. Just before serving, stir potatoes.

Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Super selection day. We get two Bingo words.

Thursday
    Gravy

Words so far

nap
    Gardenweb
    eating
    turkey
    rolls
    sweet potatoes
    wishbone
    November
    squash
    corn
    Thursday
    gravy

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Super selection Sunday Bingo words are

green bean casserole
    families

How are you all doing with your words?

• sjc48
    10 years ago

OOPS! wrong swap! I am nowhere near being close - Sorry!

Well, I've searched and searched for that potatoe recipe and can't find the dratted thing. So I will tell you what I remember from it.

It was called a Fall Vegetable Medley and it called for fresh vegetables. You will need potatoes, sweet potatoes, turnips, beets (?), cauliflower and as many kinds of squash as you can fit in. Peel, cube, chop, etc., the veggies. Lightly coat them with olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Place in 8x11 pan and cover with foil. Roast at 350 until all the vegetables are tender. I remember thinking that I was going to parboil the white potatoes first. I also made a note to try this using my favorite salad dressing instead of the oil.
    If you try this, let me know how it turns out, okay?!

Off to do dishes,
    Shirley!

This post was edited by sjc48 on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 18:55

• nikkineel
    10 years ago

Hi all! Just checking in... looks like I have about 1/2 of the bingo words. I hope everyone is having a great week. I was able to do some seed harvesting yesterday. Today, I need to clean the inside of the house and leave the outside alone lol.
    Looking forward to seeing the recipe pics. I just hope I can make the one I was given - not known around here for my cooking skills...
    Happy Monday!

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's manic Monday to two words today.

butter
    dinner

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good morning. Bingo word for today is

traveling

I hope anyone who might be traveling for Thanksgiving is not headed east. If you live in the path of the storm that is heading that way, stay safe.

Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope everyone is watching their words. The first one to call Bingo is a winner.

I am doing a Wacky Wednesday drawing and pulling two words again today.

pilgrims
    ham

double check your list

nap
    Gardenweb
    eating
    turkey
    rolls
    sweet potatoes
    wishbone
    November
    squash
    corn
    Thursday
    gravy
    green bean casserole
    families
    butter
    dinner
    traveling
    pilgrims
    ham

I can't believe how long it takes to get to Bingo. :)

Margo

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Good Morning and Happy Thanksgiving! Hope everyone has a great day!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving....Enjoy your day!

Annie

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Gardenweb friends. My recipe is prepared and I am anxious to give it a try for dinner.

I ran a Smoke the Turkey 5k bright and early this morning in temperatures in the mid 20's. Benefits hospice so was glad to do it.

Now, in thanks for all my GW friends, I am giving three words today. I sure hope someone is getting close.

stuffing
    Thanksgiving
    cornucopia

Enjoy the day. Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Happy Black Friday. I have to say I have not done any shopping today or yesterday. Most sales get repeated so I will shop at my leisure when I can. LOL

I did my Gardenweb friends recipes yesterday and it was a hit. It was a sweet potato recipe but I can't tell you who until after everyone has posted their guesses. I hope everyone was able to make up the recipe they were given. If not, you have until Sunday to do so and make your guess as to whose recipe it is.

Today's double word draw is

pie
    mashed potatoes

Happy shopping to those who are brave enough to go out today. :)

Margo

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    I don't shop anytime, willingly, definitely not going out today!
    Margo, I made my recipe for a litte office party we had on Wed. It was the Green Bean Bundles. Everyone liked it. Several had tried it themselves and some wanted the recipe. I really liked it and will make it again, but think I will try to get the bacon crispier next time.

My guess is Annie!

My kids vetoed any messing around with the green beans. So tomorrow, when we gather and celebrate, it will be, you guessed it, Green Bean Casserole!

Hope everyone is having a good day,
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

I am making my ?????? recipe today. I will report back by Sunday with reviews and my guess for who submitted it. Looking forward to making it.

Regarding shopping today...I have NEVER gone shopping the day after Thanksgiving and I NEVER will. I must add that the word "NEVER" is a word I use carefully.

It is raining YAH!!! I am cooking, I have college football on, I am bringing all my Christmas stuff down from the attic....nice day!!

Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Annie

• nikkineel
    10 years ago

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving day! Mine was wonderful starting with breakfast with my extended family on my mother's side. It was the perfect time for my recipe, Sticky bun breakfast ring. I have pictures on my phone but I'm not sure how to get them on here... tips?
    It was a big hit! Everyone was so impressed:) Thanks to whoever sent it in... I'm guessing Shirley?
    I really want to see pics of everyones recipes. I love pics.
    Have a great weekend!
    Nikki

• pinkiris
    10 years ago

Even though we are going to have to have a new well drilled, old one went dry which is what ran the pump until it burned out...Im very Thankful for many things...our Thanksgiving day was wonderful and I cant complain - even with no water. Besides that...I really enjoyed the Cranberry Jello Salad....and so did the kids! It is gone! D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S...! My guess is going to be Annie! =)

Jayeanne

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just checking to see if anyone else has posted about their recipe. I am glad to see you guys did try them and that Annie will be doing hers tomorrow. Once I check her guess, I will let you all know who sent the recipes in. We will see then if we have a winner.

I checked everyones list and we do have a Bingo winner but apparently the winner does not realize it. LOL I will wait until tomorrow sometime to see if she figures it out. If not, I will announce it.

See you all tomorrow. Margo

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Bingo, Bingo, Bingo!! Just checked the last full list and found two I had missed! Can't believe I went Bingo, first time ever!

I sure hope I'm right.

Night all,
    Shirley!

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congratulations Shirley, you are indeed the winner. I will be sending off your prizes asap.

Once Annie reports on her recipe, I will let you know who sent what. I will also post all the recipes so you can all see what was served.

Thank you to all of you for helping me with this swap. It seems it was a great success. I know I had fun hosting it. I enjoyed thinking of all of you while at Thanksgiving.

Margo

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Time to report on my recipe!

I made SWEET POTATO ROLLS.....these were delicious! Easy, very quick to put together and tasty. I have made many recipes with sweet potatoes but never a roll type recipe. My guess for who sent this recipe in is Margo.

Thanks you Margo for "I Am Thankful"....what a fun swap!! Great group of ladies here!!

Happy Sunday!!

Annie

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie wins. It was indeed my recipe. If you would be so kind as to post it for us, that would be great. I have misplaced it at the moment. :/

As for the recipes that were sent:

From Nikki, prepared by Shirley

Stick of butter (yum)
    1-2 cups brown sugar
    Juice of 1 lemon
    3 tbs soy sauce
    onion powder
    Green beans
    Bacon

Either use can of whole green beans or blanch fresh green beans in vegetable broth till tender. Wrap green beans in little bundles using bacon. Make a sauce with remaining ingredients and pour over the bundles. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes and remove cover. Continue baking until bacon is cooked to your liking.
    From Jayeanne prepared by Nikki

Cinnamon Rolls

Biscuit CINNAMON Roll!!

Sticky Bun Breakfast Ring:
    2 small tubes refrigerator buttermilk biscuits OR 1 tube Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuits
    3 Tbsp. butter, melted
    1/2 C. pancake syrup (any brand you like, I used Mrs. Buttersworth)
    1/3 C. packed light brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 C. chopped pecans, optional
    1/4 C. chopped almonds, optional

Instructions:
    Spray a fluted pan with non-stick spray. Combine the melted butter and syrup in a small bowl and set aside. In another bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and nuts (if desired). Place about half of the syrup mixture in the bottom of the pan. Then sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture on top. Lay the biscuits on the bottom of the pan, overlapping edges (closely together) to form a ring. Top with remaining syrup and sugar mixtures. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute in the pan, then invert onto a serving platter and enjoy!
    ** You can use 1 1/2 tubes of the Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuits if 1 doesn't' seem like enough) and bake it for about 30 minutes.

Sent by Annie, prepared by me

Sweep potato casserole
    CRUST
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/3 stick butter -- melted (Do not omit or reduce this amount)
    SWEET POTATO MIXTURE
    3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (can or fresh)
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 eggs -- well beaten
    1 stick butter -- melted

Combine brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter in mixing bowl. Set aside.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl in the order listed. Mix thoroughly.
    Pour mixture into buttered baking dish (8 x8).
    Sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture.
    Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to set at least 30 minutes (covered with foil) before serving.
    Serves 6
    NOTE: When I make this, I usually do it x 3 or 4 and then use a much larger dish.

Sent by Shirley, prepared by Jayeanne

Cranberry Jello Salad:
    This is a recipe that you can make whatever size you want or need:
    1 can of cranberry sauce
    1 can mandarin oranges
    Nuts
    1 pkg. raspberry jello
    Mix Jello and let "froth" for about 20 minutes;
    then, drain oranges and add to jello.
    Add 2-4 tsps. of the cranberry sauce;
    Mix well, adding nuts, if wanted.
    Refrigerate until firm.
    This is the only way my kids will eat cranberry sauce!
    Several years, it didn't gel real firm, so don't be surprised if it doesn't; tastes good anyway!
    I serve it at the beginning of the meal, in small dishes. if you serve it for a dessert, you can add Dream Whip.
    Enjoy!
    Thanks again to everyone. Margo

Annie, your prize will be in the mail soon. Congratulations.

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

And here is Margos recipe that I prepared for Sweet Potato Rolls.

Sweet Potato Rolls

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
    2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup cold butter, cubed
    1 cup mashed sweet potato
    1/2 cup fat-free milk
    2 tablespoons honey

In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the sweet potato, milk and honey just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-8 times. Pat out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter.

Place 2 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 14-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Makes 17 biscuits.

Thanks again Margo!

Annie

• smitties
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Prizes are going out this morning. Thanks again to all of who were a part of this swap. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday and stay safe in 2014.

Margo

• sjc48
    10 years ago

Margo, I received my prizes today, thank you!
    I got a Resurrection plant, have never heard of this, and a tube of Avon handcream! Very pleased. Saving the plant for when Tabs and Myrnd come for Christmas, it seems like something they would enjoy!
    Thanks, Margo, it was a great swap.
    LOVED the card too!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    10 years ago

Margo, I recieved my prize yesterday!!! A lovely card and .......So cute, so cute, so cute....little black, red and white mittons. They are hanging happily on my Christmas tree......

Thanks so much!

Merry Christmas!

Annie