Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

NEW: December 2011 Seeds-n-Stitches Secret Santa Swap

dan_the_mailman
12 years ago

HELLO EVERYONE, AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

For December, we're going to be "singing" Christmas carols and playing Santa! There won't be any actual singing involved, so you can all relax in the knowledge you won't be hearing me and my wandering pitch...lol! What we'll be doing is this...

First, send me an e-mail with your 3 favorite Christmas carols. I'll be picking one to represent you when it comes time for us all to choose who to send our gifts to.

Second, get ready to send something to your partner. You will need to send a Christmas card, something to do with sewing, and something to do with gardening. You can send it all in one box, or spread it out over December so your partner gets multiple envelopes/boxes. That's all up to you, after all, YOU ARE SANTA...LOL!!!

Here are some dates to remember...

November 25th (otherwise known as Black Friday): Last day to sign up.

November 26th: Begin choosing partners on a first come, first served basis. As the host, I'll choose last. I'll post partners as soon as everyone has chosen their partner.

Once all the partners have been chosen, get those addresses and begin making merry! Try to have everything sent out in time so it'll get to your partner by Christmas.

Remember, you may send everything in one package, or you can use multiple packages/envelopes. It's all up to you.

If you have any questions, just let me know, okay?

-Dan

Comments (86)

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I'll take "Silver Bells"..it will match the highlights in my
    hair nicely!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I will choose "Oh Holy Night". Hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving! :-) Just finished writing Christmas cards for my family yesterday. Hoping to decorate my Christmas tree during the coming week as I recover from surgery. Surgery went well - yeah!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello
    We wish you a merry christmas please

Thanks
    Michelle

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bev takes The Little Drummer Boy
    Melissa chose Frosty the Snowman
    Linda has Silver Bells (sounds naughty, doesn't it? lol)
    Sandra chose Oh Holy Night
    Michelle likes We Wish You A Merry Christmas

So, Sharon? What shall it be? Mary Did You Know, or Come All Ye Faithful? It's all up to you now.

I'll post partners as soon as Sharon chimes in.

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Well, I won't make you wait any longer. I'll take "Mary , Did You Know".

Have a great weekend and hope you like your partners.

Sharon

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Very exciting! This bunny's ready to play!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bev takes The Little Drummer Boy
    Melissa chose Frosty the Snowman
    Linda has Silver Bells
    Sandra chose Oh Holy Night
    Michelle likes We Wish You A Merry Christmas
    Sharon took Mary Did You Know
    Dan gets Oh Come All Ye Faithful

now I'm checking to make sure no one is sending to themself. I'll be back in a few with partners...

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, due to the duplicates I had to do a little juggling, but it all came out in the wash. Here is the partner list...
    Bev sends to Linda
    Melissa sends to Sharon
    Linda sends to Michelle
    Sandra sends to Dan
    Michelle sends to Sandra
    Sharon sends to Melissa
    Dan sends to Bev

Now start sending something to your partner. You will need to send a Christmas card, something to do with sewing, and something to do with gardening. Just try to make sure it all has arrived by Christmas. You can send it all in one box, or spread it out over December so your partner gets multiple envelopes/boxes. That's all up to you, after all, YOU ARE SANTA!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Oh this Santa is gonna' have fun. LOL :-) (big grin!!!)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• cindykg23
    12 years ago

Dan, as you can see I followed the old adage - 'you snooze, you lose' ;(

I totally have missed the SnS - not only internet issues, but life.

Anyway-----I posted on the QF something for you - hope you get a chance to check it out. If I may be that pain in the neck referred to earlier :) --- in the future, if I sign up for something & then disappear, would you be so kind as to email me? If I DO have connection, an email will jolt my memory & may even jolt me to action! lol

I plan on watching the fun y'all are having w/this one. Enjoy!! And in case I get lost again,

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

~Cindy

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Cindy!
    I would've e-mailed you, but I figured that you had some other things going on and I didn't want you to feel pressured about doing "that one more thing", you know? There have been times when all it would take is one more straw, and I would've gone nuts...lol! (Yes, I hear some of you whispering it's too late. Pot and kettle, my dear friends, pot and kettle. (GRIN)) The good thing is you're okay, and when someone goes missing for awhile, that's what I begin wondering about.
    I read your posting on the QF forum, thank you! I think what I'll be doing in the future is posting invitations there about our swaps. That'll allow those who wish to join in on the fun.

If anyone knows of someone who might like to join our group, please, let them know how to join! I know this month I added a bit of a "members only" layer to the swap, but, as you know, that's not the norm. I thought this would a bit better if we each were playing Santa for someone we already knew.
    Beginning with January, I'd like to see more people hosting our swaps. It usually comes down to either me or Linda, and we're willing to keep it up, but others of you all have hosted too, and had some great ideas for us all. So, if you've got an idea or two for a swap, trot it on out and let us all see it! Some of you are experienced hosts and I've had a ball in your swaps! Some of you are new to hosting, but that's okay too. I believe that some of the best swaps I've been in here on the ol' GW were hosted by first-timers! Fresh ideas always make for a great time, and all of us are willing to help if you need us. So, if you have an idea for a swap, speak up! If you don't have an idea, start thinking of one...lol! One place I get a lot of my ideas from are my quilting magazines. It seems to me that each magazine sparks at least one or two ideas within my oft-weary brain, lol.

Here's hoping everyone has a cool yule!!!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I just read the entire thread on the quilting forum. I have to agree with Cindy about the tone of some of the comments! Yikes!
    I have found that many of the quilters on the forum take everything extremely seriously. That's not to say they aren't friendly & helpful if you need it. BUT....when I've been involved in some of the swaps (like the birthday block swap or the block lotto), many have complained about tiny things- such as not a FULL 1/4" seam allowance, or fabric that wasn't the right shade/color, even that points on the star/triangle shaped pieces in a block don't line up PERFECTLY. Things like that. Not necessarily with MY blocks, but they post these things & point fingers...and it really hurts the morale of the entire group. Why partcipate if your hard work is going to be picked to pieces? I know that some people strive for perfection...but I just sew to have fun. And I feel like sometimes the quilting forum isn't a very friendly place for folks just starting out or that haven't quite mastered a certain technique yet.
    So...from that point of view...I enjoy having the seeds n stitches here on the RR forum. It's just a friendlier environment.

Just my feelings. :)

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

I think the biggest gripe on the quilting forum, and it has been the same for quite a while, is that there is no Quilting Forum Exchange page and so all the on-topic discussions get lost in all the quilt exchange related posts. I would rather not add to that problem, but would instead be happy to keep our S-N-S group on the Round Robin for now and just post a link to the swap on the quilting forum as has been done in the past, and then later if the quilting forum ever gets an exchange page then maybe considering moving the S-N-S group then. I think you handled the discussion on the quilting forum quite well Dan. (hugs)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I have an idea for a swap! What's our line-up for the next few months? Any hosts yet?
    Y'all can stick me anywhere (except the corner...no one puts bunny in the corner! LoL!). My idea will keep for awhile. :)

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

my box in packed and will be on the way to foxxy very
    soon
    michelle

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Melissa, Sandra is wanting to host in February, so if you'd like to host in January, it's all yours!

-Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Sounds good! :)

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Oh that sounds awesome Michelle!! I'll be watching the mail delivery! Dan I will try to mail your box one day next week. Well off to work on another Christmas present. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Linda, just a warning nothing coming from me for awhile. I've got 30 people coming for dinner Friday. YIKES!!! We'll pack them all in somewhere. LOL But I'm still doing "spring" cleaning. Just washed the bathroom walls. I've found light bulbs out all over the house. Ought to be able to read and sew better once this is over. Now I'm down to the laundry room, garland on the staircase, wash the outside of the kitchen cupboards and outside decorations. I wish I had started the cleaning in October. LOl Fortunately everyone is bringing food so I only have to do pork roasts. I think I need a cup of coffee and some Christmas carols!

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Sharon's goodies will be on the way soon. Just gotta get my printer to obey my commands. Wonder if hypnotism works on electronics?
    Hmmmmmmm.

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Bunny,

If you are having trouble printing a label, it is not your computer. It is probbly the addy. Try this:
    Sharon Snider
    23970 US 23 N.
    Millersburg, Michigan 49759

One package has been sent to you. Let me know when you get it. Any day now.
    Sharon

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I received an envie from Sharon today!
    She sent a great quilting magazine & sweet christmas card.
    I look forward to taking some "me" time later tonight & reading through this magazine! It looks like there are some terrific projects in here!
    Thanks, Sharon! :)

Your box will be flying your way tomorrow. Finally got everything working. Yay!

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

It felt like Christmas came early for me today!!! :-) All my packages came in the mail all today from Linda (potholders), from Michelle (my secret Santa), and from my sisters (that box is next to open and is bound to have fabric in it). Thank you bunches Michelle for the box of goodies you sent which included:
    Seeds - especially loving the tulip tree seeds - cool!!!
    Homemade Stocking - which was stuff full of all this stuff by the way
    A Penguin red/black/white scarf made of fleece which is perfect as my coat is black
    Skin so soft silk lotion - My favorite lotion - my mom buys this for me too - love it!
    Crocheted green/white potholders very beautiful - I need to get the pattern from you - I have never seen one made like that before and it is just gorgeous!
    A quilting cloth/lace bookmark - it is a good size too and will go great in one of my large quilt books
    A beautiful, green pin cushion flecked with gold - which I just love!
    And a lovely homemade Christmas card with trees and lights and little crystals glued on.

That really made my day Michelle!!! Thank you bunches for your thoughtfulness!!! Hoping you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!! :-)

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Oh and there were some M & M's - chocolate is always a hit in my house! Thank you bunches Michelle!!!

Best to you and Merry Christmas!!!,
    Sandra

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

You are very welcome Foxxy
    the pot holder is just 2 granny squairs and a solid squaire sandiched and stitched around.
    glade you liked it.
    HUGGS
    michelle

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

I got a package from Melissa today. What a box it was. I don't think she could have gotten anymore into it.
    THANK YOU, Melissa.
    She sent: garden gloves(how did she know I need a new pair),seeds (hillyhock, Chinese house flowers, & seed bombs), twine, 2-watering sphere's, sewing kit in a jar,red felt squares, quilt pattern, needle grabber, charms, material, note pad, and candy canes.
    Melissa, there is a box coming your way by Thursday.

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

Glad it got there, Sharon! Hope you enjoy everything. It was fun picking out things & wrapping them for you (the girls helped!).
    Have a GREAT Christmas! :D

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Thanks Michelle! What size crochet hook did you use? Am spending my free time working on my lotto block this week. Hoping to get it finished by this weekend.

It is getting cold here - BRRRRR!!! Suppose to dip into the 20's some this week at night. I know I would never survive wintertime up north. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hi
    I used a 5.5 I think.
    michelle

• gmom2-6boys
    12 years ago

Quiltingfox, Can you post a picture of the pot holder. Maybe we all might want to make one. After the New Year I will have some time to try new things.

Have a great day, Everyone!

WE HAVE SOME SUNSHINE TODAY!

gmom

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Here is a pic of the potholder, the beautiful potholder Michelle crocheted for me:
    {{gwi:1308680}}

Michelle my crochet hooks are old and do not have numbers on them, they have letters D through K and then I have an N. Do you know what a 5.5 converts to in a letter crochet hook? Also I can find the white thread at Hobby Lobby to make the potholder, but was wondering where you got the beautiful lime green thread?

Dan I mailed your box yesterday and will email you the delivery confirmation number later today. (hugs) :-)

We have been having some computer problems in our house, so if I am offline for a while then you know the reason why. Was so weird not having internet yesterday! Hubby has us back up running for now though - yeah!

It is cold, cold, cold in Louisiana this week even got down into the 20's last night- BRRRR!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I received a box from Sharon today. Inside were some brownies (these kids have already devoured these!!), some macaroons (I hid these to have with my tea later!), 2 different types of tea, a book- chicken soup for the gardener's soul and a shopping bag with quilt squares sewn on the sides- Such a neat idea, I love it!

Thank you, Sharon! I hope I didn't miss anything, the kids were helping me upack the box and they get so excited, things tend to fly everywhere. :P

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today I received a very welcome surprise at work. After working for 2 hours, I was told I had the rest of the day off and that my sub would be delivering my route, and that I'd be working all day tomorrow. So, before they could change their minds, I was gone, and enjoying my day...lol! If I was younger, I think I might've skipped all the way to my car! Can you imagine it???

I'm glad to see things are progressing with everyone. I know I haven't been here as much as usual when I'm hosting, but I've been getting those wonderful little updates in my e-mail when anyone posts...hehehe. Just like Santa, I know whether you're being naughty or nice! Keep it up, and I'll try to get here a bit more often.

Bev, I've got everything for your box, now I just need to get a box to put it in. Don't worry, Santa hasn't forgotten you!

Happy Holidays to All!
    -Dan

• bev2009
    12 years ago

Yeah...PRESENTS! Think Garfield...we always say "presents" like that. HO HO HO.

Linda, don't worry, the elves has been busy putting together a present for you as well.

We had our first snow of the year this morning, and I am eating the last tomatoes of the garden.

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello
    Sandra - my hook reads. US I / 5.5. So try an I if you have it.
    The green I ordered from joanns..com
    Michelle

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Thank you bunches Michelle! I have a trip to Joann planned for later this month and will look for the green thread then.

Dan am thinking you should have your box by next Wednesday or Thursday.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :-)

Best to you and many thanks,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sandra, I received your box at work yesterday, how cool is that? I waited until this morning to open it up so I'd have a rested mind to enjoy it with, but I found myself waking up just after 3am this morning, so like a little kid at Christmas, I opened it up...lol! And what a box! I thank you, and so do my two little helpers, Bump and Stella. You should've seen it, while I was taking things out of the box, so were they when they weren't marking or chewing on the box. Talk about a family project...lol!
    THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING! You put a lot of thought into it, and it showed!

So, anyone want to hear what Santa Sandra sent? Here's what I found in my box this morning...
    3 fabric markers (I've been wanting these!)
    an angel ornament (we're decorating the tree this afternoon)
    a crocheted bookmark
    chocolate chip cheesecake recipe
    4 planters (will be perfect for indoor herbs)
    a ton of pre-cut postage stamp blocks (will be part of my ps quilt!)
    plant markers
    2 spools of thread
    seed bags
    embroidery needles (time for me to learn,eh?)
    2 great yellow fabric quarters
    floral notepad
    enough candy to make it look like I just went trick-or-treating
    4 blank cards for future use
    seeds galore
    3 more festive and fun fat quarters
    templates and directions for making a card trick block AND a hand-sewn sample block!

I don't know how you got all this in the box Sandra, I can't fit it back in, and I've been trying so the kids won't bother it. Thanks again!

-Dan

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

Wow it got there fast!! I just mailed it on the 7th - that's a new record for my packages going to the opposite side of the U.S. - 4 days!!! Oh I am delighted that you enjoyed opening that box I sent!!! :-) The only thing that would have made it better was if I could have watched while you opened the box! LOL! I know what you mean, I felt like a kid at Christmas when I opened up the Santa box Michelle sent me! Hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Peaceful New Year! Well I am off to make some more Card Tricks blocks for my parents' queensize quilt - I have 72 out of 80 blocks made - another quilt project I hope to finish in 2012. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Best to you,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bev, you've got a box heading your way, might even get there tomorrow. The dc# is 03111660000034800344.

Bev sends to Linda
    Melissa sends to Sharon RECEIVED
    Linda sends to Michelle
    Sandra sends to Dan RECEIVED
    Michelle sends to Sandra RECEIVED
    Sharon sends to Melissa RECEIVED
    Dan sends to Bev SENT

Did I miss anything? PLMK. -Dan

• bev2009
    12 years ago

WOW! Oh my goodness! The mailman almost needed help delivering the box. LOL Thank you so much, Dan. I'm blown away.

I got:
    A christmas mug and cocoa
    A candy cane
    A big bag of old-fashioned Christmas candy (takes me back to my childhood)
    Some great seeds (really excited about trying the peacock lily)
    A seam ripper
    A miracle grow container garden book (Maybe this will help my pitiful containers)
    A quilting video "Inspire, Design, Create"
    Some sparkly silver glitter reindeer ornaments
    Sewing pins
    Some great fat quarters

It was funny to see my DH and DD get excited and help me open the packages! Love the Christmas box everything came in. I think I'll use that to store my projects I'm sewing for Christmas gifts each year. :)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bev, I'm glad you liked your package. It was a lot of fun putting together, and when I thought I had enough, I'd come across something else to put in it...lol! When I was wrapping your gifts, Bump was watching and "administrating", and Stella still swears she helped! She kept getting into the wrapping paper and sitting on it!
    When I saw the canister of old-time candy it made me think of my childhood, and I was hoping it would do the same for you. Sadly, the canister was a bit bigger than the box was deep, but the candy made it through, which was the most important thing. As for the seam ripper and pins, I got those on one of my excursions to joanns. I was needing both, and I figured you could always use them too. ENJOY!
    -Dan

• quiltingfox
    12 years ago

It is so cool hearing what everyone got from their Santa. :-) I have been busy quilting this past week. I finished Card Tricks quilt block #76 of 80 for my parents' quilt top ... just 4 more blocks to make - yeah!!! I started hand sewing these blocks in 2009, so with any luck I will get to hand quilt the layers together in 2012. I am so glad I did my shopping early this year so I could spend this time before Christmas quilting, some good quality me time. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Peaceful New Year full of quilting time.

Best wishes to you,
    Sandra

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

Michelle, my package is sent and I emailed your confirmation number. Please let me know when you get it and I hope you like it!

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Packages from Linda and Bev should be arriving soon, meeting the Christmas deadline with time to spare. YAYYY for us all! I hope everyone had a good time this month, I know I sure did! You all are a wonderful bunch of people, and I'm fortunate to be able to share two of my hobbies with you.

This morning I received an e-mail about the January swap. Who is hosting that one? I know we have someone signed up for hosting January and February, would anyone like to sign up for March and April? I'll go ahead and post a thread for them in a moment.

Everyone take care, and have a SAFE, SANE, HAPPY HOLIDAY!!!
    -Dan

• hazelnutbunny
    12 years ago

I think I'm hosting January? And I know someone mentioned February...but I can't remember who, either!

I'll post details for the January swap this week, if everyone is ready for it.

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yayyy!!! Melissa posted a pillow fight! KEWL!!!

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

hello
    I got my box from linda todayshe sent me so much I will try to get it all down...
    a pritty stocking with seeds, pot holders, a stained glass ornament, frog pot sitter, cranberry candle, big bag of christmas M & M's, 3 great pieces of fabric, and a quilt book" colorfull, casual and comfy quilts"

what a great gift linda, thanks so much

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I'm sooo glad you liked it Michelle! I figured with it being a bit late, it wouldn't hurt to stuff it!..LOL!

• lindaruzicka
    12 years ago

I received Bev's box today and I feel throughly spoiled! Inside the box was: a christmas mug with hot cocoa, tea bags and cappa, a clear cookie case with chocolate nut fudge in it (the do not open till Christmas was a joke, right? "munching on fudge), carmel corn, tons of seeds, a pretty notepad with birds and flowers on it, vanilla lip balm, 9 pieces of assorted sized material, renew intensive skin lotion, bag of hard candy, Mrs Field's candy, rainbow colored gardening gloves and quilted Christmas potholders.

WOW, I was overwhelmed and extrememly pleased...thanks so much Bev1 ((BIG HUG)

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It sounds to me like Santa could call on any one of us if he needs someone to cover for him, great boxes everyone!!!

Banging the gavel on this swap, and telling everyone to hoist their petards over to Melissa's pillow fight! Watch out for flying feathers...lol!