"drippy"

"fairydancer"

"jselwa"

"julie_mn"

"patty_b"

"romando"

"simplylisa"

"zabecc"

That leaves 24 packets to be sent by Nov 11th- I see some have been sent already! Yeah!

If you need more time- please let me know- You know where to reach me!

Julie

Comments (67)

• romando
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

--bump--

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there-
    I have received seeds from mkRuby7, abcGirlTX and PattyGrow5.

BadZoe has elected to not participate- no worries there though- she assures me, she is busy and will catch another RR as time allows.

I expect Lynnsherbs and Leftwood will be bringing their seeds by this weekend.

That leaves AntiqueGardenFairy and BethBKodiak's seeds to arrive and we will have a complete, ready to be sorted swap.

I see that BethBKodiak mailed her seeds back on the 6th of November- but I have not seen them yet. I do hope they are safely on their way.

I will start sorting in earnest this weekend!

Till later-

Julie

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Julie -- You're the BEST! Thanks for doing all this work.

May you and those you love have a wonderful and Happy THanksgiving.

Warmly,

Kristen

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there-

I wanted to let you know I am busy busy busy- sorting and sorting!

Leftwood- TammyMN and Lynnsherbs stopped by to help last weekend- (A BIG THANK YOU to you'se guys!) and I still have a ways to go! I do hope to wrap this up by this weekend and start mailing next week- I will let you know if I run into any delays-

On that note- I am sorry to report that I still have not received AntiqueGardenFairy's seeds- nor BethBKodiak's. BethBKodiak and I have been chatting and I am hoping to receive her seeds eventually- they have been sent- and are somehow delayed- and with that in mind- I really want to send her seeds on to her- but I have not gotten her snail mail address just yet.....

I have not heard from AntiqueGardenFairy since Nov 6th- with a mention of seeds being sent soon- there were computer problems mentioned then as well. I hope all is well.

I do hope to hear from AntiqueGardenFairy and BethBKodiak soon- as I would like to send, at least, the seeds you all especially picked out for them- to them both!

Thanks Kristen for your warm wishes! I would like to extend my hopes and well wishes to you all for a comfortably overstuffed day of family, food and fellowship this Thanksgiving Day.

Julie

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Huzzah! and Hooray!

BethBKodiak's seeds have arrived!

And just in time! I am still planning to send out early next week!

Julie

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Yea! I'm getting excited to see what cool seeds everyone sent.
    Remy

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Yay! That is such great news on Beth's seeds...I would love to know where in the heck they've been all this time!

I am getting excited, too!

Lime

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah- I bet the envie would tell a story if it could talk....

Beth's envie was quite black in some areas on both sides- with a little tear as well- my guess is it fell behind something for a while.

All the seeds enclosed with-in were in great condition!! It is a high testiment to Bubble Envelopes!!

Speaking of envelopes.... I am stuffing some envelopes tonight..... :-) !!!

I am excited to get them on their way home as well!!

Julie

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all-

I have good news! All of the envelopes are filled- And your seeds will be finding their way home to you soon!

I wanted to thank you all for sending in your seeds to share with each other for this exchange. There were many gardeners sending in their many varied seeds to share. Some newer gardeners just starting out on their gardening journey, and some well established on their garden path. To honor all of the gardeners signed up, your return packages will show the full range of what was sent to share in this exchange by all who entered and sent in their seeds.

I also want to extend a special thank you to those of you who took the time to search out the wants of others and clearly made those fullfilled wishes known in your packets sent. And to those of you who gave more than you wanted back- or gave extra postage to send the larger, fuller envelopes back home. And to the MN helpers who came to help sort this amazingly huge pile of seeds!! Your help and thoughtfullness is deeply appreciated!

This being the holiday season- I thought it prudent to get a conformation on each envelope sent out. I will keep the receipts till all the envelopes have returned home. Please feel free to contact me for the # if you feel there may be a problem with your envelope.

I will post when all of the envelopes have been mailed. It may take a few days (Tuesday at the latest)- as I intend to take them in shifts to a couple of offices- as I have 4 plastic grocerie bags full of envelopes- a ton of different stamps to pay with- and no delivery conformations filled out. On Saturday, a postal worker saw me in line and put up his "Next Window Please" sign when it was my turn..... I want to keep them as happy as I can while they process your seeds!!

I do hope you all find a few treasures in your packages- and that you do not find any/many of your own seeds back- This being my first time to host an exchange- I forgot to place an identifier on the some of the seeds that came in without the senders names on them. My appologies to you if you find any of your own returned!

Keep your eyes peeled for an over stuffed envelope as they are on their way home!

Julie

• mamabirrd
    17 years ago

Yay! Thanks so much Julie! What a wonderful hostess you've been and i'm sure we are all anxious to see what we'll soon be growing come Spring time.

*A round of applause for Julie*

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• andrea81
    17 years ago

Thank you for being so kind Julie. All of your hard work is greatly appreciated. Thank you too, to those that helped her sort the seeds, what a task that must have been.

I can't wait to see what comes back, it will be like an early Christmas present =)

Happy Holidays!
    Andrea

• drippy
    17 years ago

Say, Julie, now it's your time - bubble bath, champagne, a good book, and a pat on the back for a job well done. This is such a busy time of year, and for you to be doing this - well, it's just super. You know how it feels when you get those seed packs in the mail - like Christmas - just imagine how happy you're making a whole lot of folks this holiday season!

I second Dawn's round of applause.

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Thank you Julie!!! I hope it was also fun for you! Have a great holiday -- did you have enough postage money? Especially with the confirmations!? (I must add that whatever they cost, it was well worth it for the piece of mind. I was in a round robin and the person after me went AWOL. Luckily I had the delivery conf number to prove I had actually sent it on. I plan to use them from now on -- not on little personal trades, but on things that are basically irreplaceable.)

Thanks again for all your hard work, and those of your elves, and your family! I can't wait to see what's in mine and I hope the Postal workers don't ALL close their windows on you, LOL!

Lime

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

I want to send you, Julie, also, a resounding

HUZZAH!!!and THANKS!!! and now RELAX...you did such a good job! What a lot of seeds! I hope you snagged a few seeds you've been wanting, too.

I'm so excited waiting for my fat packet to come!

Barb

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Julie! My bulging packet came today!!! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! Everything looks wonderful and is exactly what I wanted, you must have worked so hard putting them all together -- I can't imagine -- but know that your efforts are VERY appreciated!

I have to spend some time looking up a number of things; I've never heard of the Latin names, naturally, but to never have heard of the common names, either, makes me realize how very little I know!

Thanks to all the participants, toom especially all the folks who earmarked seeds for me, Natch! Now I want spring to be here!

Lime.

• nettasaura
    17 years ago

My big fat pack came today also! THANX!!!!!!! SO many seeds, it's gonna take a whole month to go through all of them. Thanks to everybody who picked out seeds just for me. This has been fabulous.

Julie, you poor thing...you must have been doing double time for a whole week straight! Take a break, relax, eat some chocolate...and congrats on being a fab hostess!

Thanks Lots,
    Netta

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

HOO RAH! They are all on their way home!!

Exhale..............

WOW - Lime! That was FAST! I went to the PO with a few on Saturday afternoon just before closing time!! I do hope all of the seeds fly home that fast!!

Today at the PO- the first time- the fellow saw me put the bag of envelopes on the counter and said- "Well, did you know it is almost my lunch time?" I told him it was my lunch time too- and then he asked if I had eaten yet!!! - Um- No- I do not think he was askin' me out- Funny business there at the PO. One would think they would be used to being hit multiple times by each customer at this time of the year. We parted all smiles and with a feeling of accomplishment!

Postage was covered between what you all sent in (thank-you very much!) and from another swap I paticipated in- the hostess sent along her extra stamps to me- How did she know..... I will be sending the extra postage (and then some) to Drippy who is hosting another (WAY TOO COOL) RR - Garden Themes - that I have signed up for. Sharing the wealth- paying it forward- It's what helps the world go round!!

I wanted to share with you all a few tips I learned while searching out my new to me seeds for the past few years here on GW.

Google is great- but not the only search engine to use. If you cant find it there, try another engine- it IS posted somewhere on the web.

After I see the pic- I look for Zone requirements. I use the name already typed in and add zone behind it. A quick glance at what come up then, usually tells me what I need to know. Those perennials that won't cut the MN mustard, or act as an annual with first year blooms go back into my swap seeds.

Then I switch the word Zone for Germination or 'days to germination'. I look for sites that give me info on how to germinate them- what requirements they need- and how many days I should expect it to take- You will find a few new sites each year but Tom Clothiers come up an awful lot!

Then I switch Germinate to 'days to plant' or 'plant out'- and work my time tables backwards from my last frost date. I learned the hard way that that was VERY important! You end up running out of room if you start stuff too soon and have full size plants indoors for a month or more!!

There are many tricks to be learned at our GW sites as well. WinterSowing(*!!!*)- Seed starting- Growing under lights- and of course the specific sites like Brugs and Dahlias and Lilies and such.

I keep track of all that info (!) on a program called "Notebook" by Circus Ponies. That is a GREAT tool!

Now- I think I will take Drippy's suggestion- crack open a bottle, sit back, watch the fire, and wish that dinner would cook itself...

Many good times and memories will remain with me for hosting this swap- GW folks are the best!! And their seeds ain't too bad either!! I loved learning about many of the wonderfull seeds that passed through my fingers- and look forward to the enjoyment I will have making more seeds to share out of the seeds that remained.

Thank you all again-
    I hope your holidays are filled with Love and Joy!

Julie

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Yea Julie! You did it! : ) That is cool about the extra stamps too.
    I can't wait for my pkg. I feel like a kid at Christmas! And I'm like a kid jealous of Lime and Netta! No Fair, you got your seeds! lol.
    Remy

• mallowmallow
    17 years ago

hi i got mine yesterday and thank you all for filling my wants as my list is getting smaller LOL and thank you to julie for hosting this swap it was great

pam
    mallowmallow

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Yes, that zip+4 gets your package to you really fast! I always use it on my return address and try to use it when I mail out, but sometimes it's not worth asking the person what their's is.

Netta? Do you use zip+4?

Lime

• fairydancer
    17 years ago

Got my package Julie!!!! Thanks so much for all your hard work.

Deb

• nettasaura
    17 years ago

Yes....and here's a tip....if someone gives you their addy with a regular five digit zip...go to usps.com and click on the find a zipcode link....enter the addy information as you have it...and Viola! it'll give you the four digit extension to the address....why do you think my Robin is only taking 2 days between houses (wink, wink, smile)? The +four zip is just about as good as giving the actual street address itself.

I get all my four digit additions through USPS.com and here are some other tips I learned from PO workers....use the +4 zip code extension, print in captials, use as little punctuation as possible (which means you don't need a period at the end of the abbreviation for Ave or inbetween the PO for PO Box), and place the entire 9 digit zip on a separate line...all these things will speed up your shipping time...and trust me from experience it really does work!

Netta

So yeah...the return addy label that i sent to Julie was a 2x4 with size 24 Arial Narrow font, all caps, and only a comma after my city and a hyphen in the zip +4, with the zip +4 on a separate line at the bottom...and it got here lickety split!

• andrea81
    17 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thank you so much to Julie for all of your hardwork, seeds, and thoughtfulness. Also thank you to all of the participants.

God bless,
    Andrea

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Thanks to Julie for my most wonderful envelope received yesterday. I was so impressed with the variety of seeds and thanks so much for the extras too, much appreciated. You did such an excellent job.

• northerngirlz3
    17 years ago

I received mine too - so many things I wanted! I really appreciate all the great seeds sent and all the work you did Julie. It's so fun seeing that envelope in the mailbox!!!
    Jen

• earthlydelights
    17 years ago

hi, i'm posting this for dawn, she's having some problems with her computer.
    =========================================================

My seeds arrived yesterday. Wow! What a cool assortment. Who can I thank for the var. Hops vine??? Wow!! I'm so excited about that one. As soon as I get some free time i'm going to look up the ones i'm not familiar with. I can't wait.
    Thank you to everyone who participated in this swap. And Julie, you were a wonderful hostess. I'd gladly be in one of your swaps again.
    Thank you again!
    ~Dawn (mamabirrd)

Thanks,

~Dawn (mamabirrd)

• drippy
    17 years ago

My package just arrived - Julie, you really outdid yourself! And all of the participants, too - I got so many things I really wanted - all I can say is

THANK YOU!!! :D

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

My pkg. came today!!!!
    Thank you everybody. I definitely have more than I need for next year now: )
    Thanks again,
    Remy

• stacy_tn_z7
    17 years ago

Would love to sign up for the next one or for this one if it's not too late. Thanks, Stacy

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there-
    I am so glad so many of the envelopes have found their way home already!
    Stacy- this exchange comes but once a year (well- so far)- You should look to the RR and exchanges that have NEW infront of them like the "Theme" or "Vine" exchange- There are many great RRs and exchanges starting all of the time!
    Dawn- the Hops vine came from Leftwood- that is a very pretty plant in his garden- I am so glad you will have some of it in your garden!
    Netta- GREAT TIP! I will be sure to keep that handy- and use it often!
    You all did a great job at making this a fine exchange!

Julie

• limequilla
    17 years ago

If anybody got lily bulblets, it's because you asked for "anything fragrant". It was the closest I could come. If you are afraid to plant them outside this late, just slip them into the refrigerator until Spring. (They can also take a lot of cold, so next thaw, you could plant them into a nursery bed outside.) Most of them are really nice Orienpets.

Lime

• scouttiegirl
    17 years ago

My goodies arrived yesterday. Love the selection. I too will have to look a few things up as some are new to me as well. I will have a great time doing that today as it is rainy and soon turning to snow...yuck.

Julie-you sent my stamps back to me instead of using them. I'm not sure if you saw them in my envie. Didn't want you to think I didn't send postage.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday Season. Looking forward to next years swap.~Heather

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey there Heather-
    I just missed them- No worries! I ended up with extra which will be sent on to the next exchange I am involved in-
    Julie

• zabecc
    17 years ago

I received my seeds today! i'm overwhelmed with the wide variety of named seeds! I'm especially excited about the different clematis varieties I got! I just hope I can get them to grow :D
    Thanks for all your hard work Julie!
    -Elizabeth

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Tonight I finished going though all the terrific seeds you sent, Julie, and you did such an outstanding job with this! Thank you especially for the wonderful assortment you sent me from your MN garden! My daughter in Minneapolis will get some of these seedlings next spring.

Limequilla - wonderful things from your garden, too, thanks!

Drippy, some pretty cool seeds from you, too.

So many from my wish list means you all took the time to go over others' lists, and that attention makes this swap that much more successful.

Thanks too to Beth_b_Kodiak, scouttiegirl, atravers and all those who didn't put their name on, you'll all be in my smile every time a new plant blooms!

(Lilies! I got wonderful lilies, too!) SUCH a good RR!!!

Barb

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Hi Julie, just wanted to let you know that I received the seed package. WOW,WOW and WOW I could not believe my eyes as I was looking at all the seeds, I had visions of all the beautiful flowers growing in my gardens. A big thank you to everyone that participated! Julie, you have outdone yourself as a hostes, thank you for your time and the fantastic selection of seeds!
    Wishing everyone a happy, healthy and stress free Holiday Season!!!

Deanie

• atravers
    17 years ago

And I'm adding my many, many thanks to the long list here. Julie you did a fabulous job with this. Bravo! Thank you for including so many special ones from my wish list. And so many thanks to everyone who sent things in specifically for me. This certainly does make the swap extra special. Julie I hope you do this again next year. You're an excellent host.
    Ann

• kayemell
    17 years ago

Wow, wow, wow, and more wow! Julie, you are the best! I can't even imagine the amount of time you spent matching everyone's wants. I am so pleased and grateful! You are truly a "Gardening Angel" and I wish you acres of gorgeous flowers.

Blessings and hugs,
    Kristen

• leftwood
    17 years ago

Gardening Angel! I love (sort of) puns. When it fits, it sticks. Thanks so much Julie!

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    17 years ago

Hi Julie...I received my package and thanks so much!!! It was funny...my husband just shook his head over my exclamations...he just doesn't understand how happy a person can get over receiving a special seed! I received some seeds I've really wanted for a long time. Thanks also to the people who shared with me! Julie, I really appreciate all your hard work on this and you can count me in next year if you hopefully coordinate this swap again. Great job!! - Lisa

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there-

I am happy that those of you who have received your return envelopes have found some treasures enclosed! We who selected seeds for the traders in this swap- either before the envelopes were mailed in- or here in MN, did our best to ensure that! This swap was a group effort! Every one of us did a great job!

We still have 11 participants who have not reported receiving their packages- remember- I do have confirmation slips if we run into trouble- you know how to contact me for that information if needed.

2 of those 11 (Tammy MN and Sandys Garden) are MN folks who I will be getting together with to go though my seeds boxes to fill up their seed packets sent in and then some! That is a great way for us to "garden" in MN this time of year! Not to mention- looking through and sharing each others seed boxes is just plain fun and highly recommended!

Barb- tell you daughter to visit the MN Gardening Forum!!! There are so many great folks (and gardens) in MPLS and the surrounding areas. I think we have a great garden community there.

Oh Lisa- I hear you loud and clear about the hubby factor! Mine is constantly exasporated- and yet, still continuously supportive- and extremly handy with building cold frames from recycled building supplies- lighted shelves in the basment- and a great addition of 2 plastic coated steel wire shelves the length of the garage, which a clear plastic "curtain" can be rolled down to protect seedlings from the elements! I secretly think he is pleased that it costs so little to keep me so fully entertained!

Till later then- Holiday activities beckon......

Julie

• jselwa
    17 years ago

Julie, I did receive mine earlier this week - haven't had a chance to get online. Thanks SO MUCH all of your hard work and for the variety you sent - I'm set for life on hot peppers, LOL! The extra special bulbs and lilies are already in the ground - just in time as we got six inches of snow last Friday and more coming down...this was an awesome exchange and I look forward to being able to contribute lots of bonuses next year! Happy Hoidays!!

• beth_b_kodiak
    17 years ago

Julie, just a quick post to say the seeds are here and what nice seeds they are. My home computer is unavailable now so I don't have the seeds here as I write. A big thanks to Julie for doing such a nice job.
    Beth B

• lynnsherbs
    17 years ago

Julie - you know I got mine! Thanks so much for letting me "help" (hope you're feeling better). And, special thanks to everyone that sent seed. What a great selection it was! So much fun poking through to see who all got what! And, to drippy and askew gardens - thank you for the special ones that you sent just for me! If I missed anyone, I'm sorry - you are all the greatest!

Lynn

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Julie - my seeds arrived Saturday, and I echo all the nice things everyone else has said about the selection. I did not have a lot of rare or named seeds to send in, and I was blown away by how much I received back! Thank you so much, and like so many others, I'll be researching some of these seeds to see what they are. Limequilla, thank you for the info you provided above on the bulblets, since I received some of them and my garden beds are buried in snow!

What a great swap, I hope I have lots more to share next year.

Alicia

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

I too would like to thank all that participated and to those that sent seeds specifically for me. I even received seeds for seeds I have wanted but arent on my want list so this was really a great find in my bundle of seeds!! Who reads minds out there?

Julie - as always youÂre a wonderful hostess! A BIG hug to you and will see you in January at our MN GW annual seed exchange/get together!! Who would have thought of all the fun seeds could give us!

Thanks again everyone who shared their seeds. It's a great way to spread gardening around!

Happy Holidays!
    Sandy

• romando
    17 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't let you know sooner that I got my package, and LOVED it! SO many cool things! It was like you were reading my mind...
    Thank you so much! I really feel like people had me in mind!
    Amanda 'romando'

• pattygrow5
    17 years ago

Hi Julie, sorry for not letting you know I got my seeds I did they were great. I wasn't internet connected at the time
    thanks for all the great seeds. I know it is a lot of work sorry for not checking lists I usually mark them for specific people but couldn't check lists. Happy Holidays.
    Patty

• mkruby7
    17 years ago

I got mine !!! Thank you so much, mkruby7

• Julie
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi there you all-

I do hope your holidays were/are wonderful!!

I am so glad to hear from you guys! Thanks for letting me know that you did receive your seeds (although the confirmation slips provided that info, or I really would have been a wreck!)- and that there were some treasures found in your return envelopes! I am relieved that all who participated found something that brought them joy!

Thanks for the e-mails and notes here in the forum- it is a pleasure to hear from you-

Thank you all again for making this exchange a pleasure for so many!

Till next year then???

Julie