Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerncharm1_gw

Incredible HEIRLOOMS 2009 Events

southerncharm1
15 years ago

Incredible Heirlooms is a sister group of Incredible Edibles, this group trades all Heirloom edibles! Anyone is more than welcome to join as long as you follow through with a swap. You can join as few or as many of these swaps as you wish. We are a fun and friendly group with a few long time members. If you have any questions please email me, southerncharm1, and I will answer them promptly. :)

As sign ups begin, the host of the month will add their own spin to the theme. More detailed info will also be posted at this time. ~~~Kathy

JANUARY, Totally Tasty Tomatoes(Christy/bonechickchris) -

Massive Tomato swap!!! :)

FEBRUARY, Cupids Heirlooms - all reds and pinks or has the word "Love" or "Heart" in the title to honor Valentine's Day.

MARCH, Spring Sensation - seeds you plant in the Spring, root crops etc. :)

APRIL, Splendid Salads - anything used for salads.

Give your partner seeds for all those good things you put in your salad, don't forget the edible flowers! :)

MAY, Double Delights - edibles that have more than one use.

Beans- they can be eaten young and then they can be eaten as dry beans.Peas- Same, Snap peas can be eaten whole or wait for the peas and even the shoots can be eaten. Asparagus Beans- leaves and the long beans. Beets- can be eaten young in salads. Later the leaves can be blanched and eaten and the roots of course. Pumpkins- Asians eat the shoots and flowers in soup, wait and the pumpkins and seeds can be eaten. Gez, triple purpose.

JUNE, Mystery Madness - Surprise your partner. Don't forget to keep trade lists updated each month so your partner has some sort of idea what you like/want. Also, what's being sent for this swap can't be discussed with your partner. Kind of like Christmas in June! :)

JULY, Celebrate the States- Swap seeds that a state in the name. Our heirlooms would need the name of a state incorporated into it. Examples: Minnesota Midget melons, New Yorker Tomatoes, Georgia Collards, Oklahoma zinnias, California Black eyed peas, Alaska Shasta daisies, all of the NuMex peppers, etc.

AUGUST, Summer Spice - heat, spice or flavor explosions.

swap any kind of hot or sweet peppers, onions, herbs, edible flowers or anything that adds flavor or heat to your favorite dishes...

SEPTEMBER,School Spirit - Seeds named after Subjects.

seeds that relate to school subjects -- foreign languages, numbers, historical things, famous people, art words, etc.

OCTOBER, Pumpkin Party - All pumpkins and squash. An old fashioned Halloween Party.

NOVEMBER, The Great Feast - stuff we eat on Thanksgiving.

There are winter apples, sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, brussels, cabbage, squash of all winter types, corn, beets and all the incredible dishes that are made on Thanksgiving. Cranberries, carrots, nuts, string beans, celery,pumpkins,squash. :D

DECEMBER, Tis the Season - Dear Santa...

Create your own wish list, send it to your partner(SANTA). Partners will choose off of this list what to send, Please keep what you are sending to your partner a secret. :D

Comments (70)

• spookycharles
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If a host is still needed for The Great Feast of November, I'm an heirloom winter squash fanatic and would love to work with that one.

~Amanda

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Beth, I've added you to the monthly newsletter. :)

Bonnie I added you to the hosting calendar. :) I was given the chance to Host a swap when I was new too. :)

SpookieCharles/Amanda, I added you to the hosting calendar too. :)

Hosting Calendar
    January - Christy/Bonechickchris
    February - Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    March -
    April - Bonnie/Highalttransport
    May - Christy/Bonechickchris
    June -Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    July -
    August - Donna/Sunnyk
    September -
    October - Becky/Booberry
    November - Amanda/Spookiecharles
    December - Christy/Bonechickchris

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Just let all of you who are wondering, I will be posting the January Totally Tomatoes swap over this weekend. I know there are a lot of people looking foward to this one! Christy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome, I've gotten a few emails asking. :) I think this one is gonna have a great turnout. :D

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

Can I be added to receive the newsletters?

Thanks,
    Andrea

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Oh Good grief, I guess since I suggested the March theme I will host it.
    That is my Bday month so I will not have to send to anyone in my BB group so I guess that would make me free to host?

I just need to do some research for the heirlooms that will fit that catagory, guess I am not sure about all of them at the moment to suggest any for anyone so I will do that before hand how is that Miss SC1?

Is that good for you?

:) Fran

• yotetrapper
    15 years ago

Just when I thought I had enough seeds, now I realize I dont have no where near enough seeds to be in any of these swaps.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

The only reason I haven't signed up for any edible swaps is because it is one on one. I feel so many traders have much more than I do and want more than I can offer in return. Are there any edible round robins where you send what you have to the host and they divvy it up to who wants what you have? I just did the theme garden swap, and it knocked my socks off... I think Jeanne got me addicted to round robins now!

Blessings,
    Angela

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Yeah Fran! Way to take control! My husband was born in March, lucky St Patrick's Day to be exact.

Just think springtime vegetables: lettuces, radishes, onions, broccoli, kohlrabi, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, peas, etc.

Some good catalogs that handle just heirlooms are Bakers Creek Heirloom Seeds, Seed Savers Exchange, and Sandhill Preservation. I know there are other places that deal only with heirlooms, I'm just not familiar with them.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Andrea, you are added to the newsletter mailing list. :)

yotetrapper, partners in this group can accommodate each other as long as they both agree on the details, whatever they may be. IE, fewer seeds packets, 1/2 packets, later sending date, no extras, etc. :) But it is a MUST that partners agree on the added details so that no issues arise. :)

Angela, We are having 2 of those mass swaps in January. 1 is a tomato seed swap that our Christy/bonechickchris is hosting, and the other is all types of edibles that our Becky/booberry is hosting. Feel free to email either of them to get the details or ask questions as to what the guidelines are (as they aren't open yet). I hope you'll join us for those. They are going to be loads of fun. :) These RR's are very addicting! lol

Fran you will do just FINE! :))

Becky, thanks for suggesting those edibles for Miss Fran, now she's gotta host March - no excuses!!! ROFLMBO!!!

Hosting Calendar
    March - Miss Fran/NCgardengirl
    April - Bonnie/Highalttransport
    July -
    August - Donna/Sunnyk
    September -
    October - Becky/Booberry

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Hey Kathy, hope you don't think I'm nitpicking, but it ...transplant, not ...transport : )

Yotetrapper's comment got me to wondering, just how many packets are usually exchanged? You'd think I might of asked that BEFORE I signed up, LOL, but like Angela, I'm already addicted, so it really wouldn't have mattered anyway!

Bonnie

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Bonnie,
    The amount of seed packets traded depends totally upon what you and your partner decide upon. I have recieved as few as 4 packets containing 12 or so seeds, and that was just as satisfying as a large swap because it was the thought that counted. Plus we both agreed right up front :)

Donna :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Sorry about that Bonnie. :)

Hosting Calendar
    April - Bonnie/Highalttransplant
    July -
    August - Donna/Sunnyk
    September -
    October - Becky/Booberry

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Ok deary, I guess I will do July too. I have an idea to go along with that one already so well see what ya'll think when it is closer to time for that one :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Frani Poo, you just like seeing me re-post that list don'tcha?! ROFL

Hosting Calendar
    July - Fran/NCgardengirl
    August - Donna/Sunnyk
    September -
    October - Becky/Booberry

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Yes Ma'am I am keeping you alert....ROFLBO, smoochies...

Notice I ain't touching that Sept one...I think whom ever though of that one should host it....LOL. (Was that BECKY again?)

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

I asked to be added to newsletter and that probably signed me up to do this, but I better back out.

I have committed to several swaps and need to downsize and also coming up with enough heirlooms might be a problem for me.

Thank You,
    Andrea

• andreaz6wv
    15 years ago

I have committed to several swaps and need to back out of this one. I signed up for the newsletter and don't know if that put me in the swap or not. Also, I don't think I have the seeds needed for this right now.

Thanks,
    Andrea

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Ok, I am going to start typing up the tomato swap info right now. Sorry it took a while to post this, I had long gigs to play this weekend and not much time by the computer! Christy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Andrea, Newsletter is only to let folks know what is going on and the current swap sign ups are open. :) No worries, you weren't placed in a swap, you have to physically sign up to participate in one. :D

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Can I be added to the newsletter, too, then?

Blessings,
    Angela

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Angela, please email me so I can add your email addy to the list. :) It's hidden I believe. :) Thanks!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump...

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump bump bump... lol

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will be posting the sign ups for February's swap around the end of the 1st week of January. :)

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I would like to be added to the newsletter as well. Kim

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

May I sign up please? Chris

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chris, I added you to the Newsletter also. :)

~Kathy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump. Don't wanna lose this. :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump...

• antoinine
    15 years ago

Glad I found this. Please add me to the newsletter!..and I can host September if no one else wants to.

Toni

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Toni,

Thank you for showing interest in our Newsletter. Please send me your email address so I can add it to the mailing list. :)

• antoinine
    15 years ago

You should have recieved an email from me but if you haven't my email address is Antoinine@ameritech.net

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did get a response through email, but your email address was hidden. :) If you would like to change this see below.I added you to the mailing list for the Newsletter. It is usually sent on as soon as the new swap is posted each month. :)

~~~How to change the settings for GW Email~~~
    Click on Member Pages (at the bottom in the green banner).
    Click on Edit your personal information,Page and Preferences.
    Then underneath your Personal Blurb, there will be a beige area - there you can change your settings for members only to view your email addy. :)

Kathy

• antoinine
    15 years ago

Should be fixed!

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Updated Hosting Calendar

July - Fran/NCgardengirl
    August - Donna/Sunnyk
    September -
    October - Becky/Booberry

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hope everyone is getting as excited as I am about all these wonderful upcoming swaps! :) I have updated the Calendar so everyone can see that and who's Hosting for that month. Please let me know if any of you would like to Host the September swap as we are still in need of a host/hostess.

JANUARY, Totally Tasty Tomatoes(Christy/bonechickchris) -
    Massive Tomato swap!!! :)

FEBRUARY, Cupids Heirlooms - Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    all reds and pinks or has the word "Love" or "Heart" etc. in the title to honor Valentine's Day.

MARCH, Spring Sensation - Miss Fran/NCgardengirl
    seeds you plant in the Spring, root crops etc. :)

APRIL, Splendid Salads - Bonnie/Highalttransplant
    anything used for salads.
    Give your partner seeds for all those good things you put in your salad, don't forget the edible flowers! :)

MAY, Double Delights - Christy/Bonechickchris
    edibles that have more than one use.
    Beans- they can be eaten young and then they can be eaten as dry beans.Peas- Same, Snap peas can be eaten whole or wait for the peas and even the shoots can be eaten. Asparagus Beans- leaves and the long beans. Beets- can be eaten young in salads. Later the leaves can be blanched and eaten and the roots of course. Pumpkins- Asians eat the shoots and flowers in soup, wait and the pumpkins and seeds can be eaten. Gez, triple purpose.

JUNE, Mystery Madness - Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    Surprise your partner. Don't forget to keep trade lists updated each month so your partner has some sort of idea what you like/want. Also, what's being sent for this swap can't be discussed with your partner. Kind of like Christmas in June! :)

JULY, Celebrate the States - Fran/NCgardengirl
    Swap seeds that a state in the name. Our heirlooms would need the name of a state incorporated into it. Examples: Minnesota Midget melons, New Yorker Tomatoes, Georgia Collards, Oklahoma zinnias, California Black eyed peas, Alaska Shasta daisies, all of the NuMex peppers, etc.

AUGUST, Summer Spice - Donna/Sunnyk
    heat, spice or flavor explosions.
    swap any kind of hot or sweet peppers, onions, herbs, edible flowers or anything that adds flavor or heat to your favorite dishes...

SEPTEMBER,School Spirit -
    Seeds named after Subjects.
    seeds that relate to school subjects -- foreign languages, numbers, historical things, famous people, art words, etc.

OCTOBER, Pumpkin Party - Becky/Booberry
    All pumpkins and squash. An old fashioned Halloween Party.

NOVEMBER, The Great Feast - Amanda/Spookiecharles
    stuff we eat on Thanksgiving.
    There are winter apples, sweet potatoes, potatoes, onions, brussels, cabbage, squash of all winter types, corn, beets and all the incredible dishes that are made on Thanksgiving. Cranberries, carrots, nuts, string beans, celery,pumpkins,squash. :D

DECEMBER, Tis the Season - Christy/Bonechickchris
    Dear Santa...
    Create your own wish list, send it to your partner(SANTA). Partners will choose off of this list what to send, Please keep what you are sending to your partner a secret. :D

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

Howdee there

Can you put me down for the news letter reguarding the swaps please :-)

Acres

• bonechickchris
    14 years ago

Bump :) It's been quiet around here lately!

It seems that Summer Spice will be the next August Swap.

Christy

• bonechickchris
    14 years ago

BTW, Since we have no host yet for September (as it looks),
    I will host Septemeber. However, who is in favor of canning the School Spirit idea? I have an idea for another theme!
    Christy

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Yeah! Can the School Spirit!

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I never really had the School Spirit when I was in school....so go ahead CAN SCHOOL SPIRIT!!! ROTFLMBO!

I will be posting the Summer Spice sign ups soon :)

Donna ;)

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

After looking at this thread, and the Incredible Edibles events thread, I got confused for a moment, because I thought I was hosting one of the swaps this fall. I found a second thread, which made me feel better that I wasn't really losing my mind, LOL. I've linked the other thread below.

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: other Incredible Heirloom Events thread

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm for canning it also. :)

Hello ladies! Hope all is well. I finally have my cable/internet/phone service fixed with extra splitters courtesy of the smart cable tech just in case lightening ruins the newly installed ones. lol Hopefully no more darn interruptions. Feels like deja vu!

Kathy

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hi Kathy! Long time, no see! Hope you are doing okay? We've been missing you!

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Bonnie! I'm doing ok, was having issues with my cable service but think it should all be taken care of now. What really sucks was that I was in the middle of searching for peppers so I could sort them by color for the yellow seed swap you are hosting when the internet just stopped working. I still have that darn ziplock sitting here full of yellow seeds! LOL I think I'll just throw some of them in the side swap we're doing as freebies. I was seriously having major swap with drawls too! LOL I'm very glad to be back and I missed all of you bunches too. :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok ladies I just had an idea. I know you can probably smell the smoke already and are looking around with that puzzled look... So now you know where it's coming from... ROFL!

My idea is that we could start a birthday list and each month each participant could send a card with a small pack of seeds to the special birthday person/s. Let me know if you would like to participate by sending me your Birthdate/Real name/GW name and address. :)

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Oh, no fair! My birthday was this past weekend, so I would have to wait a whole year to receive any seeds, LOL! Of course, feel free to put some in the mail for me today : )

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL! I wouldn't be soooo mean and make you wait the whole year... ROFL! ;)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hey, what's September's theme going to be?