Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerncharm1_gw

Incredible EDIBLES 2009 Events

southerncharm1
15 years ago

2009 Incredible Edibles Swap Calendar

This group trades any and all Edibles! Anyone can join, as long as you follow through with the swaps. You may join as many or as few swap as you'd like. Each month there will be a different host who will add their own spin to the theme, additional info about the swap will be posted at this time. If you have any questions, please email the host of the month or me (southerncharm1). Thanks! Kathy

January (WINTER SOWING)- Sandlapperrose/Jeanne

Seeds for Winter Sowing. Lots of herbs do well with winter sowing and here in the south lettuce and other greens as well. I love winter sowing!

***January -SIDE SWAP- Hosted by Becky. Swap/Donate Seeds to cleanout your seedbox. :)

February (SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE)- Amybabyboy3/Amy

We could trade things that are sunny colors or have "sun" or "summer" in the title. Things like Sungold tomatoes, yellow Doll watermelons, summer squash, Sunray Peppers, Sunray squash, Sunburst or Sunray beans, Summer Dance cucumbers, etc.

March (FEEDING FRENZY)- pixieluvplants/Pixie

Exchanging edibles for the critters in the yard (caterpillars, butterflies, bees, and birds)

April (HOMEGROWN RECIPES)- OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST

Exchanging recipes for something using mainly home grown produce ie. Salsa, Soup, or Sauce, etc....and providing the seeds to accompany the recipe.

May (MEMORY LANE) - OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST

A few of your favorite fruits, herbs & veggies from when you were a kid and a story or two to go along with it.

June ("REGIONAL FAVORITES") - OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST

Someone from the South may send collard greens, okra, sweet potato starts. Someone from New England may send Boston Horticultural Beans, fingerling potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and so on. This would be a great one to include regional favorite recipes.

July (WEIRD N ODD) - OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST

I just love weird and oddball veggies. Can be any weird veggie, or even crosses. I love growing the unusual, and I think this would be so much fun, to receive, and also lots of fun to hunt for these weird veggies/herbs! Maybe the person who finds the oddest veggie selection could get a special prize!

August (AROUND THE WORLD) - OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST

Give some seed varieties from around the world. You could give someone: Cherokee Trail of Tears beans, Cape Gooseberries (from Peru originally,) Chinese Red Noodle Beans, Ukrainian Heart Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Bulgarian Carrot Peppers, watermelons (originally from Africa, )etc. It can be a person's world tour through seeds. Might be a fun one for recipes too!

September (DODGE THE DUDS) - OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST

Tired of flavorless grocery store tomatoes? Carrots that have the elasticity of aged wood? Peas that only serve a purpose if put into a sling shot? Herbs that come "pre wilted?" Lets dodge the duds by growing our own.

October (HAUNTED HALLOWEEN) - SunnyK/Donna

Black and Orange theme, with either the veggie/fruit itself being the color, or the color being in the name. Things like Pumpkins and Carrots and Cantaloupe etc. in the orange catgory .....and then Eggplant , Black Krim tomatoes , black radishes, Blacktail Mountain Watermelon as examples of Black.... The sky is the limit :)

November (ETHNIC FAVORITES) - OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST

This would be a great seed & recipe swap. I'm Eastern European (Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian & Austrian to be exact.) I promise to take it easy on the cabbage & horseradish! The food is a big part of my heritage. There could be stuffed cabbage or stuffed peppers (thus pepper and/or cabbage seeds,) pierogis (potato starts & onion bulbs,) borscht (beet, carrot, & parsley seeds) and so on.

December ( ) - OPEN FOR HOSTESS/HOST

Comments (61)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

HAHAHA We still love you though! ;)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Gee THANKS KATHY! That is JUST SOOO incouraging...LOL. You COULD have said something like NO, Fran your just BUSY!!!
    I have SUCH GREAT friends in this group, you don't slide the truth...HAHAHA...
    Love you too girly!

:) Fran

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ROFL! I don't know how I missed that comeback!!! ROFL Too cute! ;)

Bumping this one back up...

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Hey, don't forget! The seed clean out swap / donations will be starting the beginning of January.

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Hi, Maybe it is a good idea to start advertising it now to remind people. I have to admit I forgot about it.

Nancy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Bump, Bump, Bump, we go!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Bump! Had trouble finding this! Thought it should be bumped.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I will be hosting the February Swap, the sign ups will begin during the 1st week of January. :)

Kathy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

The side swap: Seed Clean-out will be starting at the end of the week!

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

Wooohooo...I have been putting aside some of my extras for this swap. It makes me happy to be able to donate my seeds to people who need veggies in their gardens, or who have had garden tragedies and need to stock up :)

And looking forward to "The Sunny Side" swap Kathy :)
    It is my namesake after all ROTFLMBO!!

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

WOW! you don't let anyone get bored on this site, you've got to be wide awake or you miss the boat to such wonderful things!
    I'm so excite about this one because i went all so gongho on perennials and other things that my bread and butter veggy stash is near depletion.
    And, I dared thinking of volunteering to host the June month LOL, since I do love weird, rare and giant plants, and so thought that my fear of doing it will be taken over by the excitment of seeing what others might have... but just as well, the monmth is taken, 'll give me more time to get my feet wet on GW. Chris

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

By chance is there a newsletter for the incredible edibles as there is for the incredible heirlooms? If so please sign me up...I find I am missing quite a few and love edibles. Kim

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kim I will add you to the newsletter. :) I try to have it sent out each month as the sign ups start. Hope you'll join us more often. :)

Kathy

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

For me too please ! Chris

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chris, I added you to the newsletter here also. :)

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I would love to be added to the newletter as well. I had a great time with the January Wintersowing Swap!

Bonnie

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got you down for the newsletter Bonnie. :)

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Hi guys!
    Kathy and I Have heard some concerns about the theme for the March swap, Feeding Frenzy. While we are an edibles group, some felt that swapping seeds to feed the critters was not an idea that really reflected the purpose of the group.
    So with that in mind, would anyone be against changing the theme of the March swap to something more suitable for the group? We were even thinking of taking an already accepted theme that had been agreed to be done at a later month and just bump it up earlier to March. We were thinking of putting November's Ethinic favorites idea in place for March and then just coming up with a new idea for November at a later date.
    Please let us know your opinion, ideas, or whether agree or disagree or any other feelings about this
    Thanks! Christy

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I don't mind if you change the theme. Have you asked Pixie about it?

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

I know Kathy tried to contact her and has not received a response yet. Also, in the buried treasure rr, poeple have been trying to contact her for about a month with no response. So hopefully, all is ok with her? Christy

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

With St. Patrick's Day in March, how about a green veggie swap?

Bonnie

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Bonnie I was thinking that to. Lots of green edibles to play with.

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Thats a goodie!! Since Easter will be around the corner, we can do a spring holiday theme, and swap St Patricks Day color (green) and themed seeds and Easter color (pastels) and themed seeds (like jelly bean tomato, Easter egg radish)etc.

what do you guys think? Christy

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

About Pixie I do not know for sure what is going on with her BUT she hasn't posted in a while, on any forums. She was supposed to have started back to school this semester so I don't know if she is just too busy or what is going on.
    Someone might just want to fill in for the month just in case she doesn't come back to host it, so if someone else can be a back-up. Just in case.

:) Fran

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

I'm willing to be a back up for the swap, but have never hosted before, so I hope it's one of those where we assign partners, instead of one where everyone sending stuff to my house, and I have to sort it all out, LOL.

I'm hosting the April I.H. swap, so I'm going to have to learn how to do it anyway, right?

Bonnie

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I really like the idea of a Spring Fling Holiday Swap. What a better way to start the planting season off than a tribute to the greenest and most spiritualy rejuvenating holiday of the year,St. Patrick's Day-and of course- Easter, the Holiday connected with rebirth and life and hope.

So ...yes I am ok with a change of themes :)

And I am hoping that all is well with Pixie.

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

here i was worried that we would be in a pinch to come up with a new theme in time, so we would need to bump up an already thought of theme,,
    I should of known that you guys would come up with an awesome idea in like 24 hours? And a title too! What is wrong with me???? haha!
    So if everyone agrees, I think The Spring Fling Holiday Swap would be great!
    Any more opinions about it? Christy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think it's great! :) That's why I love you guys!!! This is such an awesome group. :D (((((((HUGS)))))))

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump...

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Updated Hosting Calender :D

March - Bonnie/Highalttransplant
    April - Becky/Booberry
    May - Fran/NCgardengirl
    June - Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    July - Christy/Bonechickchris
    August - Becky/Booberry
    September -
    October - Donna/sunnyk
    November - Christy/Bonechickchris
    December - Kathy/SouthernCharm1

Oooh! I'm so excited about the next swap too! I already have my ideas for my extras!!! HEHEHE Hope my partner for that one is as big of a cheese about these kinda things as me. rofl :D

Christy, I have an idea for the prize for Julys swap too! I'm on a roll like butter today!!! woohoo!

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Hey I got a new idea for a swap. You know me I'm full of ideas! LOL! How about a Fire & Ice theme. Think Heat Miser and Snow Miser. For Fire you could send seeds with the words: fire, flame, hot, heat, blazing, volcano, inferno or are hot & spicy or are bright red. For the Ice, you could send things that have: ice, snow, crystal, icicle, white or are white in color.

Here's a blast from the past below!

Here is a link that might be useful: Snow Miser & Heat Miser

• highalttransplant
    15 years ago

Becky, I think that sounds like a great idea! Wish I had thought of that, LOL!

Kathy, since I see that I'm hosting the March swap now, I'll get a sign up thread going by the end of the week. I've got several things for that one already!

Bonnie

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

OMG! That is one of my favorite Christmas shows when I was a kid! I tell my husband that he looks like HEat Miser when he is mad!!!!!

That is so cool! I want to do it! You are awesome Becky! I just wish we could do all the new ideas sooner!

Oh Kathy, tell me your ideas!

Sorry everyone that my mind has been in the tomato gutter!

SO awesome! the Miser Bro's Swap! I love it! Christy

• bonechickchris
    15 years ago

Ok, it must be a sign Becky! Right after I posted, and I mean RIGHT AFTER, I just found a show on the Search for Santa Clause!!!! So the Miser Bros Swap has to be a go! I love Christmas!!!!! (Well, my dad named me after it!)

I do have to say, don't laugh, but with me doing so much work on the tomato swap, I still have not taken down my Christmas tree!

Ok, now you can laugh at me!!!!! Christy

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh I think that is an awesome idea! Fire and Ice, would fit perfectly for the December swap. Is everyone ok with this? :)
    Quoted idea from Becky - "You know me I'm full of ideas! LOL! How about a Fire & Ice theme. Think Heat Miser and Snow Miser. For Fire you could send seeds with the words: fire, flame, hot, heat, blazing, volcano, inferno or are hot & spicy or are bright red. For the Ice, you could send things that have: ice, snow, crystal, icicle, white or are white in color."

Bonnie, remember to have lots of fun hosting! :) IF you should need any help with tweaking it, let me or Christy know. We'd be more than happy to help you out with that. I'm so excited and glad that we changed it to the Spring Fling!!! That opened the door for soooo many fantastic ideas for my partner, I have to start getting the goodies together as I have found what I was looking for. :D

Christy, I'll send you an email. I meant to do it after I posted that but got side tracked.ROFL My hubby just looks like a grouch when he gets mad! :D I've caught myself daydreaming about all the "Big" swaps" and what, OMG what goodies will I be getting back. I feel like a little kid at Christmas time! lol I won't laugh about the tree, we just put ours in storage after it just sitting here since a few days after Christmas. lol

• sunnyk
    15 years ago

I love the idead of a Miser Brothers Swap!! I had the Snow Miser part of the song as my December ringtone on my cell phone LOL!!Fantastic!!

Donna :)

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I put the list together so everyone can see the updated swaps and who's hosting each month. :) Much easier with all the info together. :D Just a reminder that if you find you can't host the month you have signed up for, please let Christy or I know ASAP. :)

February (SUNNY SIDE OF LIFE)- Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    We could trade things that are sunny colors or have "sun" or "summer" in the title. Things like Sungold tomatoes, yellow Doll watermelons, summer squash, Sunray Peppers, Sunray squash, Sunburst or Sunray beans, Summer Dance cucumbers, etc.

March (SPRING FLING)- Bonnie/Highalttransplant
    Since Easter will be around the corner, and St Patricks Day we'll be swapping St Patricks color (green) & themed seeds and Easter color (pastels) and themed seeds (like jelly bean tomato, Easter egg radish)etc.

April (HOMEGROWN RECIPES)- Becky/Booberry
    Exchanging recipes for something using mainly home grown produce ie. Salsa, Soup, or Sauce, etc....and providing the seeds to accompany the recipe.

May (MEMORY LANE) - Fran/NCgardengirl
    A few of your favorite fruits, herbs & veggies from when you were a kid and a story or two to go along with it.

June ("REGIONAL FAVORITES") - Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    Someone from the South may send collard greens, okra, sweet potato starts. Someone from New England may send Boston Horticultural Beans, fingerling potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and so on. This would be a great one to include regional favorite recipes.

July (WEIRD N ODD) - Christy/Bonechickchris
    I just love weird and oddball veggies. Can be any weird veggie, or even crosses. I love growing the unusual, and I think this would be so much fun, to receive, and also lots of fun to hunt for these weird veggies/herbs! Maybe the person who finds the oddest veggie selection could get a special prize!

August (AROUND THE WORLD) - Becky/Booberry
    Give some seed varieties from around the world. You could give someone: Cherokee Trail of Tears beans, Cape Gooseberries (from Peru originally,) Chinese Red Noodle Beans, Ukrainian Heart Tomatoes, Roma Tomatoes, Bulgarian Carrot Peppers, watermelons (originally from Africa, )etc. It can be a person's world tour through seeds. Might be a fun one for recipes too!

September (DODGE THE DUDS) - Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    Tired of flavorless grocery store tomatoes? Carrots that have the elasticity of aged wood? Peas that only serve a purpose if put into a sling shot? Herbs that come "pre wilted?" Lets dodge the duds by growing our own.

October (HAUNTED HALLOWEEN) - SunnyK/Donna
    Black and Orange theme, with either the veggie/fruit itself being the color, or the color being in the name. Things like Pumpkins and Carrots and Cantaloupe etc. in the orange catgory .....and then Eggplant , Black Krim tomatoes , black radishes, Blacktail Mountain Watermelon as examples of Black.... The sky is the limit :)

November (ETHNIC FAVORITES) - Christy/Bonechickchris
    This would be a great seed & recipe swap. I'm Eastern European (Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian & Austrian to be exact.) I promise to take it easy on the cabbage & horseradish! The food is a big part of my heritage. There could be stuffed cabbage or stuffed peppers (thus pepper and/or cabbage seeds,) pierogis (potato starts & onion bulbs,) borscht (beet, carrot, & parsley seeds) and so on.

December (FIRE & ICE ) - Kathy/SouthernCharm1
    Think Heat Miser and Snow Miser. For Fire you could send seeds with the words: fire, flame, hot, heat, blazing, volcano, inferno or are hot & spicy or are bright red. For the Ice, you could send things that have: ice, snow, crystal, icicle, white or are white in color."

• purpleacres
    15 years ago

howdee

if there is an newsletter for this one can you sign me up too :-)

Acres

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

Kathy,

I would love to get your newsletter...some pretty interesting themes for the year! Thanks much!

Annie

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Acres and Annie, I got you both on the newsletter mailing list! :) Thanks for the interest, I'll also be emailing the newsletters as soon as the Swap Sign ups for both IE and IH March Swaps are posted. :)

Annie, we aim to please! :D

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump...

• canyonwind
    15 years ago

Kathy,

Thanks so much!

Annie

• bonechickchris
    14 years ago

Bump :)

• bonechickchris
    14 years ago

Sorry, I hit the summit button before I was done typing!

Just trying to get us back in the loop and active again!

It seems that the next swap to start in the next week or so will be The Around The World Swap hosted by Becky, for August, right?

Christy

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Looking forward to it, Christy. I'll start the sign up after the 4th of July.

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump...

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok ladies I just had an idea. I know you can probably smell the smoke already and are looking around with that puzzled look... So now you know where it's coming from... ROFL!

My idea is that we could start a birthday list and each month each participant could send a card with a small pack of seeds to the special birthday person/s. Let me know if you would like to participate by sending me your birthdate/Real name/GW name and address. :)

• bonechickchris
    14 years ago

Just bumping this one up here.

Kathy, are you still hosting a swap for September?

If this is not a go, then I can just combine the IE and IH swap as one, for the Ethnic swap, this way it can give people a break and have only one swap. As said in the IH event thread, it seems pretty much a go to make the Ethnic swap this month for IH (and IE if noone is hosting this month), and do a mass bean swap hosted my me in November here for IE, since November will be a better time to do a bean swap, since it is still early for a bean harvest.

I am hosting both, so it should have no confusion or change anything anyone else is hosting or doing.

With the bean swap, the usual post for sign ups, if in November, would be early October, however, I will probably post a little earlier than usual like I did with the mass tomato swap to get a good sign up. I think the bean swap would be a good way to get others to participate, instead of just our usual group of people.

So, even though I would have the send in by date in later October, and have all the beans sent back out to everyone in November, I may start sign ups for it in September.

Does that sound ok?

• southerncharm1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christy if you don't mind combining them that would be awesome! I'm up to my neck in stress right now and completely forgot about hosting this month. Sorry for the unload but life is not at all peachy right now.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

MMMMmmmmmm! Ethnic favorites! (I feel like Homer Simpson saying that!) I'm all Eastern European by heritage but my taste buds & tummy are Italian, Greek & Lebanese.

Kathy, sorry to hear things aren't going well for you right now.