Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

New: November FOTESS Swap - Solstice

sandlapper_rose
12 years ago

November Friends of the Earth Simple Swap - Solstice

This swap is for members of the FOTESS group on GardenWeb. If you are not already a member, but would like information on membership, contact me or Shirley.

Do you know about winter sowing? I love it! This will be an even simpler swap than last month and can get mailed in a small padded envelope. You will send 4 packs of seeds to another member using the list of Remembrance, Life, Mother Nature, and Leap of Faith. Send one pack of seeds for each theme. I do not begin winter sowing until January, but many winter sowers like to plant these four seeds on the winter solstice. The Winter Solstice this year is on December 22nd. Plant then or save the seeds for a bit later in the winter. The choice is up to you. Do the best you can on selecting your seeds. It's hard for me to select something for Seeds of Faith based on a warmer zone because it is pretty warm here, but you can select that seed based on the name of the variety or why it represents a Seed of Faith to you. In other words, feel free to improvise as long as you explain how the seed relates to the category.

I heard about the special meanings for the winter solstice from Winter Sowing references here on GardenWeb and through wintersown.org. (See http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Solstice_Celebration.html)

Trudi Davidoff who has been very instrumental in explaining and publicizing winter sowing said the following about the seeds relating to the solstice:

The Winter Solstice, its initials the same as Winter Sowing, is a celestial and natural event that ages past became entwined with religious ceremonies all over the world. The Winter holidays allow us to express love and concern through tradition, illumination, shared memories, food and gifts. Sowing the four sets of seeds is a gift to both the planet and ourselves. We give back to the land and its creatures and by doing so we give to ourselves an emotional caress; we have faith in Mother Nature and faith in ourselves.

Seeds of Remembrance

Seeds of Remembrance should be seeds of flowers that remind us of someone we knew and loved but is now gone from our lives forever.

Seeds of Life

Seeds of Life should be seeds of plants that make fruit or nectar and invite birds and butterflies to our gardens.

Seeds of Mother Nature

These seeds are sown to honor Mother Nature. Plants (you�ll see trees listed on the winter sown site, but you can substitute anything else that sounds like it would honor Mother Nature) will help clean the air we breathe, reduce excess sun on the soil, and provide shade for our heads on a hot summer's day.

Seeds of Faith

Seeds of Faith should be seeds for plants from a zone that is beyond ours in warmth. It will help us to remember that we accept the "Leap of Faith" in our hearts and know that Mother Nature is capable of miracles.

Okay, so we are not going to get into a discussion of religious significance here or do any strange dancing in the woods or anything, but let's swap some seeds! Just add a posting by November 15th in order to join in and I will designate swap partners later that week. Please mail out your seeds by November 22nd. If you have some special meaning to the seeds you are sending, share them with the person to whom you send. For example, perhaps your Seeds of Remembrance are seeds given to you by a neighbor who has passed away, but you remember her by planting them every year.

Meanwhile we will have fun discussing winter sowing and anything else that you like relating to gardening, recycling, etc.

Comments (45)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would love to join in! Thank you!!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great to have you join in, Wendy! Shirley and I will be participating, too.
    Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Wonderful idea! Sign me up :)
    vina

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't think to post this before, but no delivery confirmation will be required when you send your November swap.

So far we have:
    Jeanne
    Shirley
    Wendy
    Vina

I know some more members will want to join in.

Just tossing a question out there for the members who winter sow. How do you label and keep records on what you plant. I put duct tape on the bottom of the milk jugs that I plant in and write a number on it using permanent black marker. Then I keep a little journal and write down the number and what seeds are planted in that jug. I keep track of when it was planted and then I go back and add the date when the seeds sprouted. Sometimes I track other things like the origin of the seed (GardenWeb swap, the place that packaged it, etc. and the year on the packet.) I have had some seeds sprout when they are at least 6 years old so many last longer than you would think. I also have a very high success rate with seeds that I winter sow. It is a much higher success rate than what I have if I direct plant the seeds outdoors later in the year or if I try planting them indoors. I never had much luck with indoor planting or grow lights.
    Does anyone else want to comment on your experiences?
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    12 years ago

About winter sowing, I've had bad luck with trying to label the containers with permanent markers. So I usually draw a map of where I put what containers and what I planted in the containers, a "floor plan" so to speak. I also like to start things indoors, although this past spring I had a terrible time with mold and damping off (hadn't in previous years). Maybe our spring was just too wet and cloudy, making it humid and dark (no sunlight) in the house.

Work has gotten significantly busier which is a good thing. I'm also dealing with some family issues with my mother right now (it's always something, isn't it?) Anyway, once again, I'm lurking when it come to the swap. I love the theme idea.

Becky

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    12 years ago

Last winter I marked some of my milk jugs with permanent markers and some with a paint pen. The names I put on with permanent markerscame off and some of my plants are still unknown to me. The paint pens didn't even fade! You can get them at WalMart or craft stores. They are called Painters made by Elmers and come in alot of different colors.

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

I am going to skip this one, but I love the simplicity of this swap. I hope some future swaps are as elegant.
    Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I pondered why the permanent markers may be working for me but not for others. We don't get a really severe winter like it other parts of the country so maybe that is the difference. It's good to know about the paint pens through. If I have an issue with the markers I will be sure to switch to them.
    Lurkers welcome and I hope a few more people will join in!
    Jeanne

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone! I used paint pens for the first time this past winter, for my WSing, and loved them-no fading-they're great. I write on the sides of my containers-easier for me to see.
    I'm getting a house full of company for Christmas, so I'm going to start WSing a lot earlier this year, but will do the four on the Solstice. I just can't wait to get started!
    Shirley!

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Jeanne...I would love to join in on "Solstice". I need to try out these paint pens. I normally use pencil on plastic labels/recycled blinds with pretty good results.

Thanks for hosting!

Annie

• smitties
    12 years ago

Would like to be a part of this swap because I enjoy this group but I just don't do winter sowing. I tried once but it was not successful. I decided to just buy some grow lights and do starts in the basement.

Hope everyone has fun. Smitties

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Re: marking my containers ~ I use the cut up window blinds method with a Sharpie. I'm in zone 7 too which is why it may work well for us... I usually write on BOTH sides of the cut up blind.. the writing that faces the dirt seems to fade the least. The outer one that gets sun will fade a bit and will fade quite a lot if I wait til end of summer to plant some of the containers out.. not that I would do that, mind you.. (HAHAHA!)

I am going to try the paint pen this season as well, maybe do half and half just to see if there's any difference for me.

I always pick up used blinds at thrift stores for maybe $2 or $3. And I can make a LOT out of the blinds. I think I used this last one for 2 years now. But I'll have to get another before this season starts. :)

Margo/Smitties ~ Maybe the next swap will offer something that will entice you. But feel free to drop in and chat anytime!

Welcome Annie and Shirley! :)

~Wendy

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Though I don't use the Wintersowing methods as described on the WS website, I would like to participate in this month's swap (if that's ok with everyone).

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Janine! On behalf of all your fellow FOTESS members - welcome to the swap!
    Question - if you don't use the WS methods as described, how do you use them?
    I have tweaked the methods to suit me, I think everybody does that. For instance, I don't seal my milk jugs the whole way around with tape; I punch a hole in the top and bottom of the jug's opening and use a twistie tie to close it. My germination rates are always good. I also start WSing around the middle of December, to take advantage of the full moon.
    Is that kinda sorta what you meant?
    Later!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Of course, members can sign up even if they don't winter sow! We would love to have you exchange the seeds with us.

On the list now we have:

Jeanne
    Shirley
    Wendy
    Vina
    Annie
    Janine

Margo, since you don't need to winter sow your seeds, do you want to be added? We would love to have you join in!

It is just beautiful outside this afternoon. I am going to take my puppy and harvest some seeds.

Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Morning all!
    I have to admit that I only wintersow a few things, but, I jiffy pot like a crazy woman. Last year I grew 600 jiffies. I have a small greenhouse and if I'm very careful at packing them in there, I can get 600! :)

One year I tried the egg cartons to start seeds, they worked good but weren't deep enough for me and I had to replant earlier than expected. This year I have been saving toilet paper and paper towel tubes like a maniac. I have almost 2 garbage bags full of them. (Can you say hoarders, lol!) Instead of using jiffies I think I can get more seedlings started with the tubes. They are higher, so the roots can go deeper without transplanting. I can also fit more of them into my plastic trays, always a plus! And I can just plant the whole tube in the spring... recycle, recycle :)

What can I say, I love seeds and sowing...so I just can't resist this swap :D

Have a great day!
    vina

• jaynine
    12 years ago

I do sow seeds in winter-into plug trays and sometimes into trays of 32-3" pots (I'll do only these this year). Instead of placing them outside, they're put into a giant plastic container-my cold house. It works well~I can't wait to get started!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Vina ~ Just watch carefully for mold. I tried the t.paper rolls 2 yrs ago and had an awful time with the cardboard molding rather quickly from the moist soil. I think you just have to be sure there's enough air all around it. Just my 2 cents! :)

You ladies are lucky to have the greenhouses/cold houses. Maybe next year I'll manage to get my hoop house built! I am sooo looking forward to it!

~Wendy

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Thanks Wendy! I didn't think of that. I'll def. be on the lookout.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Only today and tomorrow left to sign up for this month's swap. If you want to be included, let us hear from you!
    Jeanne

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    12 years ago

I want in if you have room for me. I like the categories. They made me think and remember--a little sentiment along with the seeds.
    Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Heidi,
    Shirley will try to get in touch with you. The swap is for members of the Friends of the Earth Simple Swap group - which is FOTESS. Possibly you may want to join so you can be in future swaps. This one will be closed out at the end of the day so I can match partners.

We have the following people signed up:
    Jeanne
    Shirley
    Wendy
    Vina
    Annie
    Janine.

I'll post partners tomorrow.
    Thanks to the members listed above for joining in.

Jeanne

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Heidi and I have been in touch, she has sent all her info, and we all get to "officially" welcome her in the December FOTESS swap!
    I am in the middle of what I thought was a "24 hour flu bug type deal"; it has reached 36 hour status at this point, hopefully by tomorrow morning, it will be gone! I need to do windows-today was a good day, and I couldn't get out there! AGGGGGGG!!!!
    I'm also wanting to get my bird feeders up-oh joy-squirrels again!
    Partners tomorrow!!!
    Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I made this simple on myself and just went down the list.

Jeanne and Shirley will swap with each other.
    Wendy and Vina will swap with each other.
    Annie and Janine will swap with each other.

Remember, no delivery confirmation required this month. Please mail by November 22nd. Use a bubble mailer or put some "cushioning" in the envelope so the seeds don't get crushed in the mail. Post when you send and when you receive and that's it!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jeanne

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Janine,

Sent you an email via GW.

Thanks!

Annie

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Yay! Partners!
    I can't believe it's almost that time of year again! This is my third year of Wintersowing, and I'll probably WS just about as many jugs as last year, which was about 150 jugs, of some sort. I'll be doing some new butterfly host plants, along with some repeats from last year-can't have too much milkweed! I bought 4 different kinds to WS this year!
    I'll also be doing petunias-collected the seeds myself-can't wait to see what germinates!
    Does anyone else still have flowers blooming, in zone 5? I went out, over the weekend, to do some tweaking on the cleanup, and found my tithonia, calendula and the coral nymph salvia still blooming! Hard to believe!
    No headache or chills today-keeping my fingers crossed-I have a major shopping day planned for tomorrow. Beside buying a new printer, I NEED food! Wish me luck!
    Have a great day, folks!
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hey all!

Yeah! I get to send to Wendy! I'll pack up your Solstice later today and mail in the morning. I still have your addy from the Wintersowing Swap.

Talk to you later!
    vina

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shirley,
    I have the seeds for you packed up and ready to send so I hope I make it to the post office before they close tomorrow. I kept my end very simple so I hope you do, too.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Jeanne

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Janine...sent your "Solstice" out yesterday!
    Have a lovely weekend and a wonderful Thanksgiving! Enjoy!

Annie

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hey All!! Been having some computer issues, over at a friend's house just now, using her computer.
    Jeanne - I am definitely keeping it simple-very simple!
    I will have your package out on Monday!
    Hopefully, I'll have my computer back and hooked up by Tuesday, will be back in touch then!
    Shirley!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

I've been recovering from our Thanksgiving feast that we celebrated on Sunday. TWO turkeys - one smoked, one roasted, about 12 casseroles & sides and 5 pies.

I am still recuperating and so is my kitchen..lol

By the way, my Solstice pkg is in the mail to you Vina! I hope you enjoy the selections! :)

~Wendy

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Annie~
    Your package is in the mailbox--I hope you like everything!

Janine

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Jeanne, your package went out yesterday! I have a DC#, if needed.
    When I got home from the post office, I found your lovely package waiting on me!
    In addition to a beautiful Thanksgiving card, Jeanne sent these seeds for me to plant on the Solstice, or sometime this winter:
    Solidago "Fireworks" - Remembrance;
    Balsam impatiens - Mother Nature;
    Formosa Lily - Seeds of Life;
    Chaste Tree - Seeds of Faith.
    Jeanne! These are ALL new to me! Good times ahead!!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
    I'm on my way to pick up the computer! Yea Lord!!
    Will be back when I get everything plugged in again!
    Shirley!

• jaynine
    12 years ago

I received my Solstice package. Annie~I'm overwhelmed by your generosity and can't wait to get planting! Thanks so much for everything.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I received my swap from Shirley. Thanks for the card and the seeds. I will enjoy the selection that you sent and it means a lot that you had one designated in memory of your Dad and one in memory of your Grandmother. That made the swap extra special.
    I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Here's an update on our swap.
    Jeanne and Shirley will swap with each other Wendy and Vina will swap with each other. Annie and Janine will swap with each other.Sorry if I missed any of the information about mailing and receiving. Keep me updated!

Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Evening All!

I just wanted to post that Wendy's package came today. I have not had a chance to open it yet, with all the holiday crazy still going on. And my daughter had a birthday party to go to this afternoon.

I'll post everything tomorrow over a cup a tea as I open it :)...very excited!!

And, I mailed out Wendy's Solstice last week. She could be getting it any day now.

Have a great night!
    vina

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

I received my pkg from you, Vina, today as well! It's been a crazy-busy whirlwind of a week and weekend. I'll post again when I get a moment..lol

Thank you tho!! :))

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a further update on our swap.

Jeanne and Shirley will swap with each other Wendy and Vina will swap with each other. Annie and Janine will swap with each other.Shirley will be hosting a swap for us in December so watch for it. If anyone wants to e-mail either of us with a favorite idea for January, that would be great. There will be a Janaury FOTESS swap wherever it originates!

Jeanne

• sjc48
    12 years ago

Hi All!
    I'll be posting the December FOTESS swap, as soon as this one is over. It is going to be SUPER easy!
    Shirley!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Vina ~ Thanks so much for my seeds! I love them all!!! :)

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Wendy!
    Once again you went above and beyond! 4 packages of seeds for each envie? WOW!
    I just love everything you sent. Especially the Freaky Tom pumpkins. They have been on my want list for a very long time.

I'm just six shades of tickled pink!! :0) Thank you so much!!

And I'm going to try that Solstice cocktail this weekend. Looks yummy!!

Talk to you soon!
    vina

• canyonwind
    12 years ago

Janine,

Solstice fun arrived yesterday....

Remembrance......Black Eyed Susan, Blushing Susie
    Life......Insuk's Wang Kong Runner Bean
    Mother Nature......Vitex (need to look this one up)
    Faith.....Puyaolpestins (need to look this one up)

AND lots of other very cool seeds and seed baggies!!

THANKS So Much!!

Annie

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Annie,
    I'm so glad it got there...I was starting to get a little concerned. Just wanted to let you know the correct spelling of Puya alpestris (my spelling can be challenging to read at times!). Very interesting plant; hope you have good luck with it.

Thanks to Jeanne for a very nice swap!

Janine

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The November Swap has been completed. Thanks for participating and for posting that you received. Can't wait to see what Shirley has planned for December!
    Jeanne

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Vina~ I'm so pleased that YOU'RE pleased! :)