Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

NEW: Theme Garden Swap 2009

drippy
14 years ago

After much thought and failure to eat my sanity Wheaties :), I have decided to host the Theme Garden Swap again this year. A big, big thanks to Jeanne (Sandlapper Rose), who hosted it last year when all my moving around began, thus keeping interest in the swap high. I think I have the timing worked out alright, but I have one (unscheduled as of yet) more move yet to make, so you will need to be patient with me if I have to extend the seed return by a week or two.

Here's a little background for newcomers: What is a theme garden? It is, essentially, any garden designed around any kind of theme. A vegetable garden is a theme garden, so is an herb garden. Popular theme gardens include Moon Garden (all white), Fairy Garden (dwarf plants or plants where faeries can live), Everlastings (flowers/plants that dry well). It can be a garden of a single color, or a garden defined by environmental conditions, such as shade garden or bog garden. It can be anything you dream up, from Pasta Garden to Shoes Garden. The seeds people send you will be those matched to your theme.

Time frame: I will take sign-ups through December 10, but I reserve the right to close sign-ups earlier if participation reaches 100. Gather your seeds together as you see other people's postings. Post seeds to me no later than January 8 (but not before December 10, as not everyone will have posted). I anticipate having them back in the mail to you by January 31, still in time for winter sowing in most areas.

Post your name on this thread, and the themes of your theme gardens. I will send you an acknowledging email (be sure your GW email is unblocked, and if you have a sensitive spam filter, be sure to check your spam folder). Around December 10, I will send out my address to participants - I may be in the middle of what will be my (hopefully) final move, so I don't want to send my address prematurely.

How to play: After posting your interest and the theme gardens you are collecting seeds for, gather seeds to send in for the swap. You may send as many as you like, but please note - I WILL ONLY GUARANTEE 100 DIFFERENT SEEDS IN RETURN. Many of us have way more than that to send in for swaps now, but it is sometimes difficult to match veteran players with new and different varieties - I work on the quality vs. quantity principle, so don't send 300 seeds if you have to have 300 back. That being said, past players have been satisfied with results, and often do get more back than 100 - it all depends on what is sent in, of course.

Seed pack amounts - I don't care about this. Use the golden rule, and spare what you can. I am going to assume that if you only send in 5 seeds of a particular variety that you scoured your stash to meet someone's needs and that's all you can spare. Trust my judgment on working things out - I will ask my fellow veteran swap hosts for advice if I need it; everyone I've dealt with at GW has been very helpful.

You can package your seeds two ways: (1) earmarked for a particular player's theme(s) - to do this, please put the individual packets in a ziplock baggie with the player's name on the ziplock baggie only. This helps if I have to do any redistribution. For the most part, whatever is earmarked for a player's theme(s) will go directly to them, unless multiples of the same seed variety are received. This is the easiest method of packaging for me (2) packaged by theme, and let me decide whose bag they go in.

My work is way, way easier if you also send in a list of the seeds you are sending in. It is also easier if you have your GW name on your seed packs, although that is not absolutely necessary.

A note about "inside trading": Although this is not a wish list swap, if you are so inclined, update your haves/wants list, or you may post to the general thread any seeds you'd like to share that don't necessarily fit the themes. If you arrange a particular seed trade with a participant, please clearly mark that it is an inside trade when you send your seeds in, and I will be 100% certain those seeds go to that person. Inside trading has been a big hit in the past.

One final note, for now - in the past, I have contributed a great many of my own seeds to this swap, but a combination of puny gardening season and participation in some other swaps I enjoy makes it so that I don't have a ton of seeds to contribute to this swap. When you see my list of themes (which I will post soon), you will realize that probably every seed in your stash could fit into one of them, but please limit yourself to sending no more than one or two to me personally (and none is okay!) - I still enjoy hosting this.

A final, final, note: Be creative! I always get a good laugh, that lasts past that swap's year, out of some of the choices. Here's an example - one year, one person sent in a whole packet of dog-themed seeds - it included cynoglossum (hound's tooth) and foxglove (for the dog to chase, right?) among other things. Another person sent me, for my astrology/ astronomy themed garden, Lettuce, Cos(mos?).

I think that's about it for now - feel free to email me (my GW email is good), or post any questions here.

Let the fun begin!

Comments (149)

• cybermeowz
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Drippy, I would like to join also .

Here's my garden themes:

*Moongarden - all white flowers

*True Blue & Sublime Lime - true blue flowers and lime green flowers and foliage

*Really Red - red flowers

*Shimmering Silver - silver foliage

*Scentsational - fragrant flowers and plants

*Water Garden Wonderland - flowers/plants that like it in the water or in boggy conditions

*Peppers on Parade - both sweet and hot peppers, especially heirlooms

*Totally Tomatoes - tomatoes, especially heirlooms

*Melons and Winter Squashes - melons and winter squashes, especially heirlooms

*Colorful Veggies veggies not the usual colors

*Herbs Garden - herbs

Penny

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

Looks like a GREAT group in the swap! I need to get my rear in gear this week and get packing. It always take me way longer than I think it will to go through my seed stash and get things picked out, packaged, etc......

Jase - Glad to see you've joined again this year!!!

Sandy

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Updated list - if you see your name & themes here, but didn't get an email from me acknowledging your sign-up, please email me:

1. Drippy - themes:
    Native American
    Girls, girls, girls
    Flying
    Praise Garden
    Kings, Queens, and the Royal Court
    Moon
    Hail Brittania
    Ocean
    Music
    Everlasting
    Gemstones
    Astrology/astronomy
    Herb

2. Pattygrow5 - themes:
    Rare and unusual
    Hey, Shorty!
    Reach for the Sky
    Variegated Plants
    Sun Doesn't Mean Yellow

3. Poisondartfrog - themes:
    Poultry Garden
    Vlad the Impaler
    A Garden of Gourds
    Bee Garden
    Frozen But Not Frigid

4. Suecirish - themes:
    Celtic Heritage Garden
    Wicked Weird Garden
    Butterfly, Bee, Bird
    Herbal/Medicinal
    Bog Garden

5. Stage_rat - themes:
    Gold-digger
    It Was a Dark and Sandy Site
    Bone-Dry Botany
    Beyond Boggy: The Pittttt of Despair
    No Snooping

6. Micyrey - themes:
    Red & white perennial garden
    Red annual garden for hummingbirds
    Orange flowers
    Purple and yellow butterfly garden
    Caterpillar garden
    Missouri Wildflower Garden

7. Sandysgardens - themes:
    Stand-up & Salute America!
    Let's Get Wet!
    The Forgotten Patch!
    On the Dark Side!
    Who's That?
    Grand(ma) Garden

8. Clay_lady - themes:
    (coming soon)

9. Julie_mn - themes:
    Variables
    Orientation
    Metallurgy
    So Crows the Raven
    Sugar N' Spice
    N' Everything Nice

10. Jaynine - themes:
    Tea Garden
    Healing Garden
    Basil Garden

11. Sandlapper_rose - themes:
    Miniatures
    Variegated
    Tea or Coffee
    Law or Law Enforcement
    Travel

12. Lisam627_ohio_z6 - themes:
    Gardenweb Member's Favorites
    Rainbow Flower Garden

13. Booberry85 - themes:
    The Trinity of Spices: Basil, Oregano & Parsley
    Crazy Daisy, Lazy Daisy
    Three Sisters
    So What's Weird, Anyway?
    Pansies, Petunias and Poppies

14. Strmywthr3 - themes:
    Herb Garden
    Blue & Purple Garden
    Beyond Boggy
    The Odd Tomato Garden
    Colorful Veggies
    Butterflies & Hummingbirds

15. Chitownladyd - themes:
    See and Say
    Hooray for the Red, White and Blue
    Thanks for the Memories
    Sizzle and Spice
    Double the Fun

16. Browneyedsusan - themes:
    High Noon
    Rebecca's Garden
    Shady Ladies

17. Velsgarden - themes:
    Red Perennial Bed
    Herb Garden
    Fairy Garden
    Children's Garden
    Spook Garden
    Lily of the Valley
    Fruit Garden
    Green Green Grass of Home
    Anatomy Garden
    Chocolate Garden

18. Shellfreak - themes:
    Reseeders
    Red, Red & Red
    Butterfly and Hummingbird
    Lucky

19. Grandmachris - themes:
    Big Leaves
    Silver Leaves

20. Roper2008 - themes:
    Scent's In The Air
    Pepper Rally
    Bee Heaven
    The Couch Tomato

21. Shinyalloy - themes:
    Great Muppet Caper
    Rainbow Sherbert
    Shrinking Violet
    Addams Family
    Night Owl

22. Hotwheel_Tim - themes:
    Butterfly Bee Garden
    Chicken Food Garden

23. Threeshyacres - themes:
    Bone Dry Botany
    The Forgotton Patch
    Double the Fun
    Pansies, Petunias, and Poppies
    Plants That Stay Past Curfew
    Cottage Garden
    Winter Interest

24. Grovespirit - themes:
    Elseweyr - Where Snowbird Fairies Fly South For the Winter
    P4 (Poisonless Perennial Perfumed Paradise)
    Paint the Town Red With Salad
    Diversity Tropical Food Garden

25. Fcoffill - themes:
    Annual Container Garden
    One Foot Tall and Bulletproof!
    Tropical-esque

26. Rbrady - themes:
    Pot Me Up
    No Sun/No Problem
    Touch of Gray
    Red Memorial Bed
    Short Stuff

27. Plantaholics - themes:
    (coming soon)

28. Organic_selah - themes:
    Medicine Wheel Garden
    Three Sisters
    Children's Garden
    Colorful Veggies
    Asian Edibles
    French Garden

29. Patti1957 - themes:
    Scents to Soothe the Soul
    Aromatic Herb Garden
    Salsa Garden
    Tropical Garden
    Memory Garden

30. Cybermeowz - themes:
    Moon Garden
    True Blue and Sublime Lime
    Really Red
    Shimmering Silver
    Scentsational
    Water Garden Wonderland
    Peppers on Parade
    Totally Tomatoes
    Melons and Winter Squashes
    Colorful Veggies
    Herb Garden

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Theme Garden Themes By Description

Addams Family creepy, kooky, mysterious, spooky, altogether ooky Shinyalloy_5
    Anatomy Garden peter peppers, clitoria ternatea, painted tongue, any body parts Velsgarden
    Annual Container Garden in vibrant shades, annuals for containers Fcoffill
    Asian Edibles - Chinese Leek, Bunching Onion, Baby Corn, Pak Choy , Chinese Cabbage etc - Organic_selah
    Astrology/Astronomy plants with names of zodiac signs or planets Drippy
    Basil Garden Jaynine
    Bee Garden plants to attract/provide nectar for bees Poisondartfrog
    Bee Heaven Roper2008
    Beyond Boggy: The Pittttt of Despair plants that can live in standing water Stage_rat, Strmywthr3
    Big Leaves Grandmachris
    Blue & Purple Garden especially deep blue & purple Strmywthr3
    Bog Garden plants that like wet feet - Suecirish
    Bone-Dry Botany plants that like dry soil, more sun than shade Stage_rat, Threeshyacres
    Butterfly/Bee/Bird attractive to, host plants Suecirish, Hotwheel_tim
    Butterfly & Hummingbird Shellfreak, Strmywthr3
    Caterpillar Garden host plants for caterpillars Micyrey
    Celtic Heritage Garden anything native to, or Celtic named, Ireland/Scotland/England/Wales, etc. - Suecirish
    Children's Garden (Sunflowers, Peanuts, Carrots, Gourds) Velsgarden, Organic_selah
    Chicken Food plants that are foods for chicken Hotwheel_tim
    Chocolate Garden anything with chocolate in the name Velsgarden
    Colorful Veggies veggies not the usual colors, like purple beans, etc Strmywthr3, Organic_selah, Cybermeowz
    Cottage Garden rosy, feminine, unplanned, pretty; whites & pastels Threeshyacres
    The Couch Tomato Roper2008
    Crazy Daisy, Lazy Daisy any daisy or daisy-like flowers Booberry
    Diversity Tropical Food heirloom fruits, veggies, edible flowers that do not need winter chill to produce; the weirder the better Grovespirit
    Double the Fun flowers that have a double bloom Chitownladyd, Threeshyacres
    Elseweyr; Where Snowbird Fairies Fly South For the Winter dwarf varieties of flowering plants, no more than 14" pref, cannot require stratification (pre-chilling); may have dwarf, elf, fairy names or attractive properties Grovespirit
    Everlastings plants for dried arrangements Drippy
    Fairy Garden Velsgarden
    Flying anything named or related to flight Drippy
    French Garden eggplant, tomato, pepper, endive, artichoke, radish, etc Organic_selah
    Frozen, But Not Frigid plants with cold names like snow, cold, arctic, frost, ice Poisondartfrog
    Fruit Garden Velsgarden
    The Forgotten Patch plants that thrive on neglect Sandysgardens, Threeshyacres
    A Garden of Gourds ornamental gourds, pumpkins & squash for fall decorating Poisondartfrog
    Gardenweb Member's Favorites Lisam627_ohio_z6
    Gemstones plants with precious or semi-precious gem names Drippy
    Girls, girls, girls plants with girls' names Drippy
    Gold-digger gold foliage, variegated and gold, gold-edged, or chartreuse foliage Stage_rat
    Grand(ma) plants with "grand" as part of common, species, cultivar, variety name Sandysgardens
    Great Muppet Caper anything related to Muppets, including Sesame Street Shinyalloy_5
    Green, Green Grass of Home ornamental grasses Velsgarden
    Hail Brittania similar to Celtic, including plants reminiscent of English gardens - Drippy
    Healing Garden medicinal plants, including hot peppers Jaynine
    Herbs/Medicinal Herbs, Aromatic Herbs Suecirish, Drippy, Velsgarden, Strmywthr3, Patti1957, Cybermeowz
    Hey, Shorty short plants, but not ground covers - Pattygrow5
    High Noon plants for hot, dry, sunny sites like salvias, agastaches, scutellarias, penstemons Browneyedsusan
    Hooray for the Red, White & Blue red, white, blue(ish) flowers that work together Chitownladyd
    Hummingbird Garden red annuals Micyrey
    It Was a Dark and Sandy Site plants for dry shade, with neat blooms/foliage Stage_rat
    Kings, Queens, and the Royal Court names, castles, etc Drippy
    Law or Law Enforcement plants named or related to these ideas Sandlapper_Rose
    Let's Get Wet plants that live in very wet condition, more sun than shade Sandysgardens
    Lily of the Valley - daylily, oriental, asiatic Velsgarden
    Lucky anything with Lucky in the name Shellfreak
    Medicine Wheel Garden - medicinal herbs flowers and small vegetable plants of the following colors:East:Yellow, South:Red, West:black, blue, purple, and North:White/silver Organic_selah
    Melons and Winter Squashes especially heirlooms Cybermeowz
    Memory Garden violets, petunias, pansies, etc anything you can remember your grandparents growing - Patti1957
    Metallurgy metallic colored blooms, foliage, seeds gold, silver, copper, pewter, etc. - Julie_mn
    Miniatures the smaller the better Sandlapper_Rose
    Missouri Wildflower Garden Micyrey
    Moon Garden all whites Drippy, Cybermeowz
    Music plants with musical names Drippy
    Native American plants with tribal names, or historically used by, Native Americans Drippy
    N' Everything Nice your favorites Julie_mn
    Night Owl plants that bloom at night Shinyalloy_5
    No Snooping fast growing (probably annuals) tall (not wide) deerproof plants Stage_rat
    No Sun/No Problem shade plants hardy to zone 5 Rbrady
    Ocean in the name, or that grow on/near beach Drippy
    Odd Tomato Garden odd shapes, sizes, colors, etc. - Strmywthr3
    On The Dark Side! - plants with maroon, burgundy foliage or maroon/black flowers Sandysgardens
    One Foot Tall and Bulletproof! - shorties that thrive in adverse conditions, e.g., too hot, too shady except dianthus, thrift, liriope Fcoffill
    Orange flowers Micyrey
    Orientation named or from the Orient, Asia, Himalayas, OR something related to a change in position Julie_mn
    P4 (Poisonless Perennial Perfumed Paradise) scented non-toxic perennials; e.g., no daturas or brugs, and no annual scented herbs Grovespirit
    Paint the Town Red with Salad heirloom red salad veggies; no beets Grovespirit
    Pansies, Petunias, and Poppies Booberry, Threeshyacres
    Pepper Rally Roper2008
    Peppers on Parade sweet & hot Cybermeowz
    Plants That Stay Past Curfew long bloomers into late summer/autumn Threeshyacres
    Pot Me Up annuals, perennials, tropicals that do well in containers Rbrady
    Poultry Garden plants that reference chickens, ducks, turkey, eggs, etc Poisondartfrog
    Praise Garden plants with praise/joy words in the name Drippy
    Purple and Yellow Butterfly Garden Micyrey
    Rainbow Flower Garden any color that grows Lisam627_ohio_z6
    Rainbow Sherbert bright colors for shade; pinks, orange, green Shinyalloy_5
    Rare and Unusual rarer plants, or things that look different or weird Pattygrow5
    Reach for the Sky flowering vines except for morning glories Pattygrow5
    Really Red red flowers Cybermeowz
    Rebecca's Garden flowers with Rebecca, Becca, Becky in the name, except shasta "Becky" Browneyedsusan
    Red Memorial Bed dark red/burgundy/maroon flowers or foliage Rbrady
    Red Perennial Bed Velsgarden
    Red and White Garden red and white perennials Micyrey
    Red, Red, Red Shellfreak
    Reseeders flowers that reseed Shellfreak
    Salsa Garden any plants used in making salsa - Patti1957
    Scent's In The Air nicely fragrant plants - Roper2008
    Scents to Soothe the Soul nicely fragrant plants - Patti1957
    Scentsational fragrant flowers/plants Cybermeowz
    See and Say plant name is difficult to pronounce but lovely to you Chitownladyd
    Shady Ladies plants for shade Browneyedsusan
    Short Stuff short or trailing plants that stay under 12 inches Rbrady
    Shrinking Violet wild violets, cyclamens, shorter pansies, or anything that would not overpower dainty beauties Shinyalloy_5
    Shimmering Silver silver foliage Cybermeowz
    Silver Leaf whole leaf is silver, or spots/variegations Grandmachris
    Sizzle & Spice plants that will take a lot of sun & heat Chitownladyd
    So Crows the Raven: Evermore! - names or related to the genus corvus in family corvidae (crows, ravens, etc) Julie_mn
    So What's Weird, Anyway? - weird, odd, unusual edibles Booberry
    Spook Garden (Transylvania, Ghost, Boo) Velsgarden
    Stand Up and Salute America! - tall, stately red, white & blue plants Sandysgardens
    Sugar N' Spice cute edible flowers, and spices of all kinds Julie_mn
    Sun Doesn't Mean Yellow any sunflowers that aren't plain yellow Pattygrow5
    Tea Garden any plant used to make tea Jaynine
    Tea or Coffee plants named or used to make tea or coffee Sandlapper_Rose
    Thanks for the Memories plants with special meaning to you that might be in a memorial garden Chitownladyd
    Three Sisters: Beans, Squash, Corn Booberry, Organic_selah
    Totally Tomatoes especially heirlooms - Cybermeowz
    Touch of Gray plants with gray or blue-gray foliage, full sun Rbrady
    Trinity of Spices: Basil, Oregano, Parsley varieties of same Booberry
    Travel plants named with travel destinations or related to travel Sandlapper_Rose
    Tropical Garden anything tropical that can be grown from seed - Patti1957
    Tropical-esque for Shade over the top flowers & foliage such as brugs, cannas, elephant ears, hosta, etc Fcoffill
    True Blue and Sublime Lime true blue flowers, lime green flowers/foliage - Cybermeowz
    Variables so ugly it's cute, too pretty to eat, one man's trash is another's treasure, so new or different it's rare, etc. - Julie_mn
    Variegated Plants Sandlapper_Rose, Pattygrow5
    Vlad the Impaler plants with spiky forms like digitalis, salvias, liatris, etc Poisondartfrog
    Water Garden Wonderland plants that like wet/boggy conditions Cybermeowz
    Who's That? - plants that reference people's names, or have title like King, St., Mrs., etc Sandysgardens
    Wicked Weird named or relating to magic, witchy, supernatural Suecirish
    Winter Interest plants that look interesting into winter (structure or foliage), after blooms have gone - Threeshyacres

• clay_lady
    14 years ago

I would like to enter the following themes in the exchange for my garden
    Heirloom Tomatoes
    Chocolate Garden
    Memory Garden
    Edible Flowers
    Rare And Unusual
    Hummingbird and Butterfly
    Sun and moon--- Flowers that bloom in the early morning or in the evening---

• gee_oh_nyc
    14 years ago

OK... I've resisted long enough but this looks too good.
    Thanks for hosting this, drippy! I'd like to enter with the following themes:

Herbin' Urban- Herbs that do well in containers

Topsy Turvey Tomato- Tomatoes best for upside down gardening: patio and hanging basket varieties

Pretty Shady- Plants that bloom in shade

Rare and Unusual

The Whole Bloomin' Year- annuals that have a long blooming time

Happy Holidays Everyone... only 12 more days until Wintersowing starts!
    Peace,
    George

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Nice to see folks still joining :)

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info on the Wyethia, grovespirit.

Gee oh, I like your themes! "Pretty shady" is a really good one!

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Updated list - if you see your name & themes here, but didn't get an email from me acknowledging your sign-up, please email me:

1. Drippy - themes:
    Native American
    Girls, girls, girls
    Flying
    Praise Garden
    Moon
    Hail Brittania
    Ocean
    Music
    Everlasting
    Gemstones
    Astrology/astronomy
    Herb

2. Pattygrow5 - themes:
    Rare and unusual
    Hey, Shorty!
    Reach for the Sky
    Variegated Plants
    Sun Doesn't Mean Yellow

Poultry Garden
    Vlad the Impaler
    A Garden of Gourds
    Bee Garden
    Frozen But Not Frigid

4. Suecirish - themes:
    Celtic Heritage Garden
    Wicked Weird Garden
    Butterfly, Bee, Bird
    Herbal/Medicinal
    Bog Garden

5. Stage_rat - themes:
    Gold-digger
    Bone-Dry Botany
    No Snooping

6. Micyrey - themes:
    Orange flowers
    Caterpillar garden

Let's Get Wet!
    The Forgotten Patch!
    On the Dark Side!
    Who's That?
    Grand(ma) Garden

8. Clay_lady - themes:
    Heirloom Tomatoes
    Chocolate Garden
    Memory Garden
    Edible Flowers
    Rare and Unusual
    Sun and Moon

9. Julie_mn - themes:
    Variables
    Orientation
    Metallurgy
    So Crows the Raven
    Sugar N' Spice
    N' Everything Nice

10. Jaynine - themes:
    Tea Garden
    Healing Garden
    Basil Garden

Miniatures
    Variegated
    Tea or Coffee
    Law or Law Enforcement
    Travel

Rainbow Flower Garden

13. Booberry85 - themes:
    Crazy Daisy, Lazy Daisy
    Three Sisters
    So What's Weird, Anyway?

14. Strmywthr3 - themes:
    Herb Garden
    Blue & Purple Garden
    Beyond Boggy
    The Odd Tomato Garden
    Colorful Veggies

See and Say
    Thanks for the Memories
    Sizzle and Spice
    Double the Fun

High Noon
    Rebecca's Garden
    Shady Ladies

17. Velsgarden - themes:
    Red Perennial Bed
    Herb Garden
    Fairy Garden
    Children's Garden
    Spook Garden
    Lily of the Valley
    Fruit Garden
    Anatomy Garden
    Chocolate Garden

18. Shellfreak - themes:
    Reseeders
    Red, Red & Red
    Lucky

Big Leaves
    Silver Leaves

20. Roper2008 - themes:
    Scent's In The Air
    Pepper Rally
    Bee Heaven
    The Couch Tomato

21. Shinyalloy - themes:
    Great Muppet Caper
    Rainbow Sherbert
    Shrinking Violet
    Addams Family
    Night Owl

Butterfly Bee Garden
    Chicken Food Garden

Bone Dry Botany
    The Forgotton Patch
    Double the Fun
    Cottage Garden
    Winter Interest

25. Fcoffill - themes:
    Annual Container Garden
    Tropical-esque

26. Rbrady - themes:
    Pot Me Up
    No Sun/No Problem
    Touch of Gray
    Red Memorial Bed
    Short Stuff

(coming soon)

Medicine Wheel Garden
    Three Sisters
    Children's Garden
    Colorful Veggies
    Asian Edibles
    French Garden

29. Patti1957 - themes:
    Aromatic Herb Garden
    Salsa Garden
    Tropical Garden
    Memory Garden

30. Cybermeowz - themes:
    Moon Garden
    Really Red
    Shimmering Silver
    Scentsational
    Water Garden Wonderland
    Peppers on Parade
    Totally Tomatoes
    Colorful Veggies
    Herb Garden

31. Gee_oh_nyc - themes:
    Herbin' Urban
    Topsy Turvy Tomato
    Pretty Shady
    Rare and Unusual
    The Whole Bloomin' Year

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anatomy Garden peter peppers, clitoria ternatea, painted tongue, any body parts Velsgarden
    Asian Edibles - Chinese Leek, Bunching Onion, Baby Corn, Pak Choy , Chinese Cabbage etc - Organic_selah
    Basil Garden Jaynine
    Bee Heaven Roper2008
    Beyond Boggy: The Pittttt of Despair plants that can live in standing water Stage_rat, Strmywthr3
    Big Leaves Grandmachris
    Bone-Dry Botany plants that like dry soil, more sun than shade Stage_rat, Threeshyacres
    Butterfly/Bee/Bird attractive to, host plants Suecirish, Hotwheel_tim
    Butterfly & Hummingbird Shellfreak, Strmywthr3, Clay_lady
    Celtic Heritage Garden anything native to, or Celtic named, Ireland/Scotland/England/Wales, etc. - Suecirish
    Children's Garden (Sunflowers, Peanuts, Carrots, Gourds) Velsgarden, Organic_selah
    Chocolate Garden anything with chocolate in the name Velsgarden, Clay_lady
    Colorful Veggies veggies not the usual colors, like purple beans, etc Strmywthr3, Organic_selah, Cybermeowz
    Cottage Garden rosy, feminine, unplanned, pretty; whites & pastels Threeshyacres
    Diversity Tropical Food heirloom fruits, veggies, edible flowers that do not need winter chill to produce; the weirder the better Grovespirit
    Edible Flowers Clay_lady
    Elseweyr; Where Snowbird Fairies Fly South For the Winter dwarf varieties of flowering plants, no more than 14" pref, cannot require stratification (pre-chilling); may have dwarf, elf, fairy names or attractive properties Grovespirit
    Fairy Garden Velsgarden
    French Garden eggplant, tomato, pepper, endive, artichoke, radish, etc Organic_selah
    Frozen, But Not Frigid plants with cold names like snow, cold, arctic, frost, ice Poisondartfrog
    Fruit Garden Velsgarden
    A Garden of Gourds ornamental gourds, pumpkins & squash for fall decorating Poisondartfrog
    Gold-digger gold foliage, variegated and gold, gold-edged, or chartreuse foliage Stage_rat
    Grand(ma) plants with "grand" as part of common, species, cultivar, variety name Sandysgardens
    Great Muppet Caper anything related to Muppets, including Sesame Street Shinyalloy_5
    Hail Brittania similar to Celtic, including plants reminiscent of English gardens - Drippy
    Herbs/Medicinal Herbs, Aromatic Herbs Suecirish, Drippy, Velsgarden, Strmywthr3, Patti1957, Cybermeowz
    Herbin' Urban herbs that do well in containers Gee_oh_nyc
    High Noon plants for hot, dry, sunny sites like salvias, agastaches, scutellarias, penstemons Browneyedsusan
    Heirloom Tomatoes Clay_lady
    Hooray for the Red, White & Blue red, white, blue(ish) flowers that work together Chitownladyd
    It Was a Dark and Sandy Site plants for dry shade, with neat blooms/foliage Stage_rat
    Let's Get Wet plants that live in very wet condition, more sun than shade Sandysgardens
    Medicine Wheel Garden - medicinal herbs flowers and small vegetable plants of the following colors:East:Yellow, South:Red, West:black, blue, purple, and North:White/silver Organic_selah
    Memory Garden violets, petunias, pansies, etc anything you can remember your grandparents growing Patti1957, Clay_lady
    Metallurgy metallic colored blooms, foliage, seeds gold, silver, copper, pewter, etc. - Julie_mn
    Native American plants with tribal names, or historically used by, Native Americans Drippy
    No Snooping fast growing (probably annuals) tall (not wide) deerproof plants Stage_rat
    On The Dark Side! - plants with maroon, burgundy foliage or maroon/black flowers Sandysgardens
    One Foot Tall and Bulletproof! - shorties that thrive in adverse conditions, e.g., too hot, too shady except dianthus, thrift, liriope Fcoffill
    Orange flowers Micyrey
    Orientation named or from the Orient, Asia, Himalayas, OR something related to a change in position Julie_mn
    P4 (Poisonless Perennial Perfumed Paradise) scented non-toxic perennials; e.g., no daturas or brugs, and no annual scented herbs Grovespirit
    Pepper Rally Roper2008
    Plants That Stay Past Curfew long bloomers into late summer/autumn Threeshyacres
    Poultry Garden plants that reference chickens, ducks, turkey, eggs, etc Poisondartfrog
    Pretty Shady plants that bloom in shade Gee_oh_nyc
    Rare and Unusual rarer plants, or things that look different or weird - Pattygrow5, Clay_lady, Gee_oh_nyc
    Reach for the Sky flowering vines except for morning glories Pattygrow5
    Rebecca's Garden flowers with Rebecca, Becca, Becky in the name, except shasta "Becky" Browneyedsusan
    Red, Red, Red Shellfreak
    Salsa Garden any plants used in making salsa - Patti1957
    Shrinking Violet wild violets, cyclamens, shorter pansies, or anything that would not overpower dainty beauties Shinyalloy_5
    So Crows the Raven: Evermore! - names or related to the genus corvus in family corvidae (crows, ravens, etc) Julie_mn
    Stand Up and Salute America! - tall, stately red, white & blue plants Sandysgardens
    Sun and Moon flowers that bloom early in the morning or late at night Clay_lady
    Thanks for the Memories plants with special meaning to you that might be in a memorial garden Chitownladyd
    Topsy Turvy Tomato tomatoes best for upside down gardening: patio and hanging basket varieties Gee_oh_nyc
    Travel plants named with travel destinations or related to travel Sandlapper_Rose
    Tropical-esque for Shade over the top flowers & foliage such as brugs, cannas, elephant ears, hosta, etc Fcoffill
    True Blue and Sublime Lime true blue flowers, lime green flowers/foliage - Cybermeowz
    Variables so ugly it's cute, too pretty to eat, one man's trash is another's treasure, so new or different it's rare, etc. - Julie_mn
    Vlad the Impaler plants with spiky forms like digitalis, salvias, liatris, etc Poisondartfrog
    Who's That? - plants that reference people's names, or have title like King, St., Mrs., etc Sandysgardens
    The Whole Bloomin' Year annuals that have a long bloom time Gee_oh_nyc
    Winter Interest plants that look interesting into winter (structure or foliage), after blooms have gone - Threeshyacres

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, everyone - I just got back from a lightning fast trip to NYC (lightning fast = too much flying time, too little fun time) where I attended the ASCAP Foundation awards. Very cool! Arlo Guthrie received their Champion Award - I got to hear him sing in a relatively small setting - there were a number of other talented acts, from students to professionals, too. A very good cross-representation of music; I was highly impressed.

Anyway, back at the ranch - I have sent out emails to everyone who has signed up with the swap details, as of a few minutes ago. The only exception to this is Grandmachris, whom I have no way of contacting. If anyone knows her, and can reach her, please have her email me!

To any lurkers out there - last day! After I check this post tomorrow a.m., sign-ups are closed. Because it's a more specific than general swap, if people sign on late, it makes everyone's seed sending late, so this is it! Last chance!

Have a great day, all. :)

• sred98
    14 years ago

Glad I saw this one! This looks awesome!

Here are my themes:

kitchen garden (smaller growing herbs and veggies that would be something you would find in a cottage or potager garden)

Reach for the sky (vines)

heirloom tomatoes

Salsa garden

Fruit garden

Fragrant night garden

Cottage garden (heirloom flowers)

bee/butterfly/hummingbird garden

Tropical/Tropical-esque

Edible landscape (edible flowers)

Herb Garden

Sun and Moon garden

Thanks!

Shelly (sred98)

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Ohhhhh! I forgot to do my Memorial/Family Garden theme! Is it too late to add it? If it's not too late, the names I'm looking for are Brian, Jill, Charlie, Rene', Mynah, Mina or Carmina, Lily (especially if it's not actually a lily), and things to do with the Navy, "Matey," Greystone or the Titanic. Flowers or even veggies!

Drippy, the ASCAP event sounds really neat! It seems like a pretty exclusive event, what with Arlo playing to a small crowd. Are you somebody we would know? How many gold records do you have?

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, ladies and gentlemen, the swap is officially closed to new sign-ups. Sred98, you are in under the deadline, and I will be emailing you with details shortly and adding you to the list.

Stage_rat, I will certainly add your theme. You made me laugh, in a way - I personally am a "wannabe", but my son received one of the ASCAP Foundation awards as a grant for graduate study in music. I was so impressed with how many awards were given, all for the support of music education and creativity. As I am not dead yet (or planning to be anytime soon!), there is still the (slim) possibility I may compose the gold record song someday, but I have to admit my son is way past where I am now, let alone where I was when I was his age. OTOH, MIDI didn't exist (or just barely) when I was his age - the changes are absolutely fascinating.

Anyway, enough of that - I have some updating to do here. I was hoping Plantaholics would have gotten back to us by now so I would only have to do it once, but no big deal - I'm sure he'll be in touch soon.

Have fun getting your seeds together, everyone! I'm looking forward to another great swap.

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

1. Drippy - themes:
    Native American
    Girls, girls, girls
    Flying
    Praise Garden
    Moon
    Hail Brittania
    Ocean
    Music
    Everlasting
    Gemstones
    Astrology/astronomy
    Herb

2. Pattygrow5 - themes:
    Rare and unusual
    Hey, Shorty!
    Reach for the Sky
    Variegated Plants
    Sun Doesn't Mean Yellow

Poultry Garden
    Vlad the Impaler
    A Garden of Gourds
    Bee Garden
    Frozen But Not Frigid

4. Suecirish - themes:
    Celtic Heritage Garden
    Wicked Weird Garden
    Butterfly, Bee, Bird
    Herbal/Medicinal
    Bog Garden

5. Stage_rat - themes:
    Gold-digger
    Bone-Dry Botany
    No Snooping
    Memorial/Family Garden

6. Micyrey - themes:
    Orange flowers
    Caterpillar garden

Let's Get Wet!
    The Forgotten Patch!
    On the Dark Side!
    Who's That?
    Grand(ma) Garden

8. Clay_lady - themes:
    Heirloom Tomatoes
    Chocolate Garden
    Memory Garden
    Edible Flowers
    Rare and Unusual
    Sun and Moon

9. Julie_mn - themes:
    Variables
    Orientation
    Metallurgy
    So Crows the Raven
    Sugar N' Spice
    N' Everything Nice

10. Jaynine - themes:
    Tea Garden
    Healing Garden
    Basil Garden

Miniatures
    Variegated
    Tea or Coffee
    Law or Law Enforcement
    Travel

Rainbow Flower Garden

13. Booberry85 - themes:
    Crazy Daisy, Lazy Daisy
    Three Sisters
    So What's Weird, Anyway?

14. Strmywthr3 - themes:
    Herb Garden
    Blue & Purple Garden
    Beyond Boggy
    The Odd Tomato Garden
    Colorful Veggies

See and Say
    Thanks for the Memories
    Sizzle and Spice
    Double the Fun

High Noon
    Rebecca's Garden
    Shady Ladies

17. Velsgarden - themes:
    Red Perennial Bed
    Herb Garden
    Fairy Garden
    Children's Garden
    Spook Garden
    Lily of the Valley
    Fruit Garden
    Anatomy Garden
    Chocolate Garden

18. Shellfreak - themes:
    Reseeders
    Red, Red & Red
    Lucky

Big Leaves
    Silver Leaves

20. Roper2008 - themes:
    Scent's In The Air
    Pepper Rally
    Bee Heaven
    The Couch Tomato

21. Shinyalloy - themes:
    Great Muppet Caper
    Rainbow Sherbert
    Shrinking Violet
    Addams Family
    Night Owl

Butterfly Bee Garden
    Chicken Food Garden

Bone Dry Botany
    The Forgotton Patch
    Double the Fun
    Cottage Garden
    Winter Interest

25. Fcoffill - themes:
    Annual Container Garden
    Tropical-esque

26. Rbrady - themes:
    Pot Me Up
    No Sun/No Problem
    Touch of Gray
    Red Memorial Bed
    Short Stuff

(coming soon)

Medicine Wheel Garden
    Three Sisters
    Children's Garden
    Colorful Veggies
    Asian Edibles
    French Garden

29. Patti1957 - themes:
    Aromatic Herb Garden
    Salsa Garden
    Tropical Garden
    Memory Garden

30. Cybermeowz - themes:
    Moon Garden
    Really Red
    Shimmering Silver
    Scentsational
    Water Garden Wonderland
    Peppers on Parade
    Totally Tomatoes
    Colorful Veggies
    Herb Garden

31. Gee_oh_nyc - themes:
    Herbin' Urban
    Topsy Turvy Tomato
    Pretty Shady
    Rare and Unusual
    The Whole Bloomin' Year

32. Sred98 - themes:
    Kitchen Garden
    Reach For the Sky
    Heirloom Tomatoes
    Salsa Garden
    Fruit Garden
    Fragrant Night Garden
    Cottage Garden
    Bee/Butterfly/Hummingbird Garden
    Tropical-esque Garden
    Edible Landscape
    Herb Garden
    Sun and Moon Garden

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, here is the nearly final list of theme descriptions - please check it and make sure that everything you posted is on there, and more or less correctly described. I will post both the participants list and the theme descriptions list on any new threads I start (150 posts is the thread limit). Have fun everybody!

Basil Garden Jaynine
    Bee Heaven Roper2008
    Big Leaves Grandmachris
    Butterfly/Bee/Bird attractive to, host plants Suecirish, Hotwheel_tim, Sred98
    Cottage Garden rosy, feminine, unplanned, pretty; whites & pastels Threeshyacres, Sred98
    Edible Flowers, Edible Landscape Clay_lady, Sred98
    Fairy Garden Velsgarden
    Fragrant Night Garden Sred98
    Fruit Garden Velsgarden, Sred98
    Heirloom Tomatoes Clay_lady, Sred98
    Herbs/Medicinal Herbs, Aromatic Herbs Suecirish, Drippy, Velsgarden, Strmywthr3, Patti1957, Cybermeowz, Sred98
    Kitchen Garden smaller growing herbs or veggies found in cottage or potager gardens - Sred98
    Memorial/Family Garden names Brian, Jill, Charlie, Rene, Mynah, Mina, Carmina, Lily (especially anything other than actual lily), and things to do the the Navy, "Matey", Greystone, or Titanic Stage_rat
    Memory Garden violets, petunias, pansies, etc anything you can remember your grandparents growing Patti1957, Clay_lady
    Orange flowers Micyrey
    Pepper Rally Roper2008
    Rare and Unusual rarer plants, or things that look different or weird - Pattygrow5, Clay_lady, Gee_oh_nyc
    Reach for the Sky flowering vines except for morning glories Pattygrow5, Sred98
    Red, Red, Red Shellfreak
    Salsa Garden any plants used in making salsa Patti1957, Sred98
    Sun and Moon flowers that bloom early in the morning or late at night Clay_lady, Sred98
    Topsy Turvy Tomato tomatoes best for upside down gardening: patio and hanging basket varieties Gee_oh_nyc

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got an email from Jase tonight - he will not be able to participate after all, but hopes to join us again next year. So here is the final update of participants:

1. Drippy - themes:
    Native American
    Girls, girls, girls
    Flying
    Praise Garden
    Moon
    Hail Brittania
    Ocean
    Music
    Everlasting
    Gemstones
    Astrology/astronomy
    Herb

2. Pattygrow5 - themes:
    Rare and unusual
    Hey, Shorty!
    Reach for the Sky
    Variegated Plants
    Sun Doesn't Mean Yellow

Poultry Garden
    Vlad the Impaler
    A Garden of Gourds
    Bee Garden
    Frozen But Not Frigid

4. Suecirish - themes:
    Celtic Heritage Garden
    Wicked Weird Garden
    Butterfly, Bee, Bird
    Herbal/Medicinal
    Bog Garden

5. Stage_rat - themes:
    Gold-digger
    Bone-Dry Botany
    No Snooping
    Memorial/Family Garden

6. Micyrey - themes:
    Orange flowers
    Caterpillar garden

Let's Get Wet!
    The Forgotten Patch!
    On the Dark Side!
    Who's That?
    Grand(ma) Garden

8. Clay_lady - themes:
    Heirloom Tomatoes
    Chocolate Garden
    Memory Garden
    Edible Flowers
    Rare and Unusual
    Sun and Moon

9. Julie_mn - themes:
    Variables
    Orientation
    Metallurgy
    So Crows the Raven
    Sugar N' Spice
    N' Everything Nice

10. Jaynine - themes:
    Tea Garden
    Healing Garden
    Basil Garden

Miniatures
    Variegated
    Tea or Coffee
    Law or Law Enforcement
    Travel

Rainbow Flower Garden

13. Booberry85 - themes:
    Crazy Daisy, Lazy Daisy
    Three Sisters
    So What's Weird, Anyway?

14. Strmywthr3 - themes:
    Herb Garden
    Blue & Purple Garden
    Beyond Boggy
    The Odd Tomato Garden
    Colorful Veggies

See and Say
    Thanks for the Memories
    Sizzle and Spice
    Double the Fun

High Noon
    Rebecca's Garden
    Shady Ladies

17. Velsgarden - themes:
    Red Perennial Bed
    Herb Garden
    Fairy Garden
    Children's Garden
    Spook Garden
    Lily of the Valley
    Fruit Garden
    Anatomy Garden
    Chocolate Garden

18. Shellfreak - themes:
    Reseeders
    Red, Red & Red
    Lucky

Big Leaves
    Silver Leaves

20. Roper2008 - themes:
    Scent's In The Air
    Pepper Rally
    Bee Heaven
    The Couch Tomato

21. Shinyalloy - themes:
    Great Muppet Caper
    Rainbow Sherbert
    Shrinking Violet
    Addams Family
    Night Owl

Butterfly Bee Garden
    Chicken Food Garden

Bone Dry Botany
    The Forgotton Patch
    Double the Fun
    Cottage Garden
    Winter Interest

25. Fcoffill - themes:
    Annual Container Garden
    Tropical-esque

26. Rbrady - themes:
    Pot Me Up
    No Sun/No Problem
    Touch of Gray
    Red Memorial Bed
    Short Stuff

27. Organic_selah - themes:
    Medicine Wheel Garden
    Three Sisters
    Children's Garden
    Colorful Veggies
    Asian Edibles
    French Garden

28. Patti1957 - themes:
    Aromatic Herb Garden
    Salsa Garden
    Tropical Garden
    Memory Garden

29. Cybermeowz - themes:
    Moon Garden
    Really Red
    Shimmering Silver
    Scentsational
    Water Garden Wonderland
    Peppers on Parade
    Totally Tomatoes
    Colorful Veggies
    Herb Garden

30. Gee_oh_nyc - themes:
    Herbin' Urban
    Topsy Turvy Tomato
    Pretty Shady
    Rare and Unusual
    The Whole Bloomin' Year

31. Sred98 - themes:
    Kitchen Garden
    Reach For the Sky
    Heirloom Tomatoes
    Salsa Garden
    Fruit Garden
    Fragrant Night Garden
    Cottage Garden
    Bee/Butterfly/Hummingbird Garden
    Tropical-esque Garden
    Edible Landscape
    Herb Garden
    Sun and Moon Garden

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Basil Garden Jaynine
    Bee Heaven Roper2008
    Big Leaves Grandmachris
    Butterfly/Bee/Bird attractive to, host plants Suecirish, Hotwheel_tim, Sred98
    Cottage Garden rosy, feminine, unplanned, pretty; whites & pastels Threeshyacres, Sred98
    Edible Flowers, Edible Landscape Clay_lady, Sred98
    Fairy Garden Velsgarden
    Fragrant Night Garden Sred98
    Fruit Garden Velsgarden, Sred98
    Heirloom Tomatoes Clay_lady, Sred98
    Herbs/Medicinal Herbs, Aromatic Herbs Suecirish, Drippy, Velsgarden, Strmywthr3, Patti1957, Cybermeowz, Sred98
    Kitchen Garden smaller growing herbs or veggies found in cottage or potager gardens - Sred98
    Memorial/Family Garden names Brian, Jill, Charlie, Rene, Mynah, Mina, Carmina, Lily (especially anything other than actual lily), and things to do the the Navy, "Matey", Greystone, or Titanic Stage_rat
    Orange flowers Micyrey
    Pepper Rally Roper2008
    Reach for the Sky flowering vines except for morning glories Pattygrow5, Sred98
    Red, Red, Red Shellfreak
    Salsa Garden any plants used in making salsa Patti1957, Sred98
    Sun and Moon flowers that bloom early in the morning or late at night Clay_lady, Sred98

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, ladies & gents, the first one is in! And it is from (drumroll please)

Sandlapper Rose!

All nicely packaged & ready to roll - can you tell I'm excited already? Remember, you have until January 8 to send seeds.

For those of you who are packaging by individual players' themes - I don't know what to tell you about Grandmachris. There are a couple of options: (1) wait and see if we hear anything from her, then you can include seeds for her, or (2) if you include seeds and she doesn't get back to us, they will be redistributed to other players unless you request them to be returned to you.

Have fun packaging, and Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Blessed Solstice, Happy Kwanzaa, and Happy New Year to all.

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Wow, that was fast delivery. I just mailed late Sat. morning! I thought I might tell you the seeds were on their way, but then I decided to just make it a surprise. LOL
    Holiday greetings to everyone in the theme garden seed swap from me as well!
    Jeanne

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Drippy, that's great that your son was awarded a grant, in a special ceremony, too.

Sandlapper Rose, I'm impressed that you were ready to send in immediately! I'm still thinking and listing, and not packaging much since I'm working on baking and soapmaking for xmas.

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

I worked on packaging this afternoon and for a while after supper. I feel like slow-poke-hanna. I'm at least half-way though. Not sure when I'll get to it again. On Friday I need to grocery shop for myself, then to moms and take her grocery shopping, then finish her Xmas shopping and her wrapping. Also on Friday I need to stir up about 7 different batches of cookies and then on Saturday morning I have a bake a-thon. Then stir about a 1/2 doz more batches and do another bake a-thon. Plan to do only 12 or so types of cookies this year, a few bars, the usual chex mix, and a couple other snack mixes. The weekend will be busy!!! I'm tired just thinking about tomorrow.

Happy seeding, baking, shopping, wrapping and anything else your doing this weekend.

Oh most important, I will be moonshining too. Kahlua and Irish Cream. The guys in the family get a bottle of each from me as part of their X-mas present. I started this about 20 years ago and they won't let me quit. My nephew who is 28 now said he could hardly wait to get his own once he turned 21.

Sandy

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had an email today from someone who did not get my address - I sent the info out 12/10. Please, if you did not get my address, email me through GW - I do get my email from the forum, and I will send the info to you.

Happy holidays to all!

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello and merry christmas to everyone
    I got my package ready this week and it will got out next week.
    hotwheel_tim's seeds will be in the same envie, but seperated, I will send extra postage incase you want to send his back in a seperate envie. I did all the writing for him but he did help harvest, clean, package and lable them.
    it is going to be hard not planting these as soon as I get them. drippy how have you done it? being in moving mode for several years? I'm just starting to get the house ready to sell, going through the cabinets and closits, I dug up all my perennials from the front yard in the fall and planted them at the farm( I can retreve them when we get settled) and in the spring I will be digging the fruit trees, daylilies, and other perennials from the back yard.
    I'm going to plant a bunch of seeds at the farm but I have to resist the desire to plant too much in the greenhouse and yard.

well happy holiday to everyone
    michelle

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello, and Merry Christmas to all my fellow swappers! Well, my DD got stranded in Dallas/Ft Worth after flying from London today - bad weather both there and in Huntsville. Poor tired thing, she managed to get to a local inn, and will be on an a.m. flight tomorrow, good Lord willing.

DS is here - we decorated a 1 1/2 foot rosemary tree for our Christmas tree this year - perfect for the apartment, and for the spirit of who we are - after Christmas we will eat it, LOL! DH got me a sweet poinsettia, and I made an advent wreath with greens I snarfed as "stealth pruner" around the apartment complex (no worries folks, I didn't mangle any bushes - I was very careful).

All is good, albeit we will wait on the champagne we would have had at midnight until DD can be with us tomorrow. Peace and joy to you all!

• stage_rat
    14 years ago

Merry Xmas!

We had 40 degrees today, and Dallas had snow! Crazy. Drippy, I hope your daughter is at your house by now! I always try to change planes in southern cities in the winter, but that would have backfired this time.

Medontdo, I didn't know you'll be moving. To somewhere nearby?

Drippy, I like the rosemary tree idea. I love rosemary on salmon, yummmm.

I got some nice presents today, but no one gave me any seeds :( I bet that my GW pals know what I really want!

My kitten got almost as many presents as I did--and i didn't buy her any! (hey, when a straw or a milk ring is a toy, money does not need to be spent!)

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

MMMMM Rosemary! I have two outdoors that are about 2 feet tall now, (probably would be taller, but we EAT them too!) Rosemary Chicken is a staple around here, and potatoes too I will have to try it on salmon!

I hope everyone got settled in for the holiday celebrations! I was hoping for DIRT, but when I tell anyone that is what I want, they just shake their heads and get 'that look' (poor thing has finally lost it don't you know) It rained buckets but the temps held pretty steady in the low 50's!

I hopw to mail my package this week, now that things are slowing down! Stay warm and safe everyone!

Frances

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DH gave me two orchids and a cyclamen - he tends to favor tropicals. Mom gave me Laura Martin's "Garden Flower Folklore" - a lovely book!

I am just so thankful to have the kids here. Stage_rat, I figured DD would be safe flying through Dallas too, but I wonder if she would have made out any better flying through any other major hub - Huntsville had some very gusty winds Christmas Eve, and buckets of rain at the time she was supposed to get here originally. She finally made it about 11:30 Christmas morning, and we had a lovely day.

Now I am looking forward to swap packages arriving and sorting those, and looking for a house in all our spare time, LOL - and I am going to start wintersowing like I will have one - I expect I will have this little apartment patio covered with containers before too long. Hey, if I get some shelving, I can plant even moooooore.....

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hay thats the way to think Drippy..if you can't go out ...go up. he he he

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

Hello from snowy Minnesota. We fared better than they predicted here in the twin city area, but we still received over a foot of snow and then some good drifting.

My seeds are packed and ready to go to the PO either on Monday or Tuesday. It's a good feeling to have them done and can now focus on wintersowing the seeds from earlier swaps this winter; then will be ready to sow seeds I'll be receiving from the TGS.

Stay warm and safe and celebrate the New Years arrival with care. We will be celebrating at home with family!

Sandy

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, all - I have gotten 3 emails now from people who didn't get my address. Did anyone get it? On 12/10, I sent out a document entitled TGS09 Info, and headed TGS09 Details. Thought I sent it out to everyone, but I guess I missed a few! My address was in that. Please, please email me if you need my address.

Thanks,

Kim

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    I got the e-mail Kim
    our package will be on the way today or tomarrow.
    I'll let you know
    michelle

• sandysgardens
    14 years ago

Kim -

My envy has been mailed!!! Gal at PO says it should take 3 days so you should have by weeks end at the latest, with the holiday thrown in there.

I sent you an email also!

Later
    Sandy

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, everyone - I got two more packages today, from Fcoffill and Micyrey/Hotwheel_Tim. Michelle, where are you moving to? I will keep it my prayers that it all goes smoothly and fast for you - being in a new place is fun, but moving just plain isn't.

• roper2008
    14 years ago

I mailed my envelope Monday. You should get it
    today or Sat.

Linda

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

Kim,
    I mailed mine today.
    Thanks and HNY!
    Alana

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Happy New Year, all! DH & I just looked at a house with 3 acres - this may be the one, although access to it is from a busy road, so we're thinking about it. House is set back, though, and nice. We'll see.

I got packages today from Roper2008(Linda) and Sandysgardens. Alana, I will watch for yours.

Enjoy your New Year/Hogmanay (Scottish) celebrations, and meet 2010 dancing! :)

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is typically my habit in the swap to send everything specifically designated for a player directly to that player, unless there is a severe imbalance. I usually ask players to include a "Don't Want" list of 10 items or so, but I forgot to do that in the instructions. If you have already sent your seeds, or you just want to email it to me, email me and let me know what seeds you don't want even if they are sent in for you. I'll keep that with your return packet and try to honor it.

Don't include purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria), creeping thistle or kudzu - I would destroy those anyway, LOL.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Seeds are on the way!

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Received seeds from Poisondartfrog (Alana) today. I think I may actually start a little sorting in the next couple of days.

I'll be starting a new thread soon, and will post again participants and their themes, themes by description, and a separate list showing who I've received seeds from.

Happy trails, all! We are off to celebrate DH's birthday tonight while the kids are still in town.

• shinyalloy_5
    14 years ago

Spent all last night adding "just one more" to the envelope, but I finished and the seeds mailed out this morning.

MARY

• rbrady
    14 years ago

Just finishing up a few and will be mailing mine off by Tuesday.

Rhonda

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, folks - got seeds from Shinyalloy today. It is c-c-c-cold in Alabama today!

• patti1957
    14 years ago

My seeds went out in todays mail.

Patti

• Michelle Reynolds
    14 years ago

hello
    well I'm fully into getting ready to move(funny we have not evan listed the house or looked at a new one yet) but I'm going throug 10 years of accumulated stuff and getting rid of much of it. my aim is to get most unnessasary stuff packed and put in storage before we evan list the house. I still need to do some painting and lots of rilly good cleaning.
    wow I would love to have a house with 3 acres, but we are looking to move to Missouri, about 20 to 30 miles from here, I would like to be much closer to my in-laws farm so I can do much of my gardening there(180 acres should be enough to keep me buisy for a few years) idealy I would like to build a house at the farm but it is over a mile to the nearest house, and I'm not sure I want to be so isolated.

well I can't wait to see what I get.....

stay warm everyone
    michelle

• strmywthr3
    14 years ago

My seeds will be going in the mail today. I feel like I wasn't really creative this time around, but I found a few seeds to match. I've been fighting bronchitis for 3weeks now and am on my 2nd round of antibiotics. it's not been fun.

Hope everyone likes their seeds!
    Barbi

• suecirish
    14 years ago

I'm working furiously to get the rest of my seeds packed up and in the mail by Friday. Boy, the holidays really got hectic this year, not to mention the weather getting in the way, and somehow the time just slipped by. I am never this late getting my swaps together. But I think I will have some good theme matches and I just need to keep working the next couple of nights. I'll make sure they are mailed on time!
    Sue

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello from cold Alabama - I got seeds from Booberry yesterday, so they are rolling in! I am going to start a new thread now, so please post to the update.

Thanks,

Kim

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please don't post for a bit - I started an Update, but have contacted the administration to delete it, and will start another update after they do. Thank you.

• drippy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yay for Admin; they are totally on the ball - I started a new update thread, but deleted it because I copied the player list from my document file - which has everyone's emails on it. As soon as I saw it, I thought "Oh no!", so I contacted Admin to delete it - and they did, pronto.

Now I will start a new, corrected update.