Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

Patty's WLOMWL Swap

poisondartfrog
13 years ago

Here's the thing, folks. I volunteered to host the swap this year while Patty is in a state of transition. Her plan was to help out with tips on best practices for this very large swap.

I have not had any communication from her recently. Patty did not respond to my email letting her know I was ready to go forward and I have concluded that for the moment she does not have internet access.

I am still willing to do the swap using Patty's format and rules, with a couple of small revisions to make the job a bit easier, if folks still want to go ahead with it. Patty said she expected to be back in the swing of things in 6 months or so, so I am banking on her being back to host next year's version.

Part of what makes this swap great are the returning players and the format. Newbies are welcome to sign up, but I will only go forward if a dozen or more of the usual suspects join in. I have reviewed prior years player lists and count anyone who has participated in any or the previous 5 swaps as a veteran. I count myself as one of those.

These rules are copied and pasted from Patty, with only the dates and the maximum number of packets changed. I have also strengthened the language of some of the rules to make their importance apparent based on what Patty has indicated some of the challenges are.

From Patty, (mostly)

We all have want lists of those elusive seeds this is a swap to try to empty those lists.

Here are the rules in this swap:

first we all sign-up I will take sign-ups December 3.

THEN YOU HAVE TO UPDATE YOUR WANT LIST as soon as possible so others know what you are looking for. This must be done by the end of sign ups on December 3 so that folks will have time to search the lists and find the right seeds based on your want list. I would encourage everyone to wait until people post here that they have updated their lists to start packing seeds, or wait until December 3.

Then you can check everyones lists ONLY SEEDS THAT ARE ON PEOPLES WANT LISTS are to be sent. Seeds that are sent in for people that are not actually on their want lists will be sent back to you. If you make arrangements on the side to receive certain seeds, make sure you add them to your want list if they are not already on it.

To make it easier for me mark who the seeds are for or place them in baggies marked clearly for whom they are intended. (I will not manipulate the seeds in any way-you will get exactly what is sent in for you with the exception of duplicates. Patty did not send duplicates unless you specifically stated that you wanted them. I will do the same.)

make sure you keep checking for the members who sign up all the way to the Dec 3 so no one gets left out.

Then you can send the seeds to me I will get them back within a few weeks of getting the last persons seeds

the deadline for sending will be the 3rd of January.

I will get the seeds ready and send them back out by January 22. This was great last year we all seem to get a lot of our wants.

I am making a limit of 150 packs this year because I don,t send duplicates(unless you request it) it's hard with that many sent. You will receive back the same number you send in. For example, if you send in 100 packs, and people have sent in 65 packs marked for you, the other 35 packets sent to you will come from a pool of duplicates sent in for others who do not want duplicates, and from any "extras" people have sent in for that purpose. (Patty says it always works out, and she should know.)

A few other rules this year this is a seed swap not a cutting or root swap send only seeds

Please if you can't follow thru with this don't sign up for others will be checking your list and gathering seeds you want

Again, I will be waiting to see how many sign-ups we have. When/if we reach 12 veterans, I will send out my address.

Thanks!

Alana

Comments (151)

• bev2009
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is it OK to send seeds from 2009 if we label them as such? If they don't count towards a matching pack for me,I don't care. I would just rather send them and maybe someone can use them rather than have them go to waste. I will be sending in more than I want back anyway.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bev, 2009 is fine, especially if they are labeled as such. I would not want to see any seeds older than than 2008, and those only ones that are not notorious for a short "shelf life".

sorellina's list is updated. I will add it to the list when I update our player's list again.

It is gray and rainy and cool and I am at home today so hot cocoa and seed packaging are on the agenda. I love the sunshine, but if there were no days like this I would never get anything done!

Alana

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

Alana,

I'd love to participate in the swap. Consider me a quasi-newbie with aspirations of being a veteran some day. lol

Now off to start updating my wish list.

Thanks!
    Lynn

• slo_garden
    13 years ago

Please count me in also!!

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    13 years ago

I have updated my "HAVES" list completely for those that want to scour it to add a few things to their wants. I am very limited on the items I have to fill wishes so if any of my haves appeal to you, please, add it to your wants list.

My wants are pretty general, so overall, I have updated my wants also. I'll probably put specific items here or there, but I'm not sure. I really just want a variety of various things that anyone wants to send. I don't think I've ever been this general, but with most of my seeds being ruined by critters plus moving out of state to a new home, I really am starting almost totally over. I'll appreciate anything that anyone sends my way to help me restart my gardening here!

Blessings,
    Angela

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good morning,

We are here:
    1. poisondartfrog wish list updated
    2. jaynine
    3. nottougly wish list updated
    4. angelady wish list updated
    5. ishareflowers
    6. ilovefarac wish list updated
    7. mao_tse_mom
    8. just1morehosta
    9. flowergirl34 wish list updated
    10. micrey wish list updated
    11. barefootgardner12 wish list updated
    12. tkhooper wish list updated
    13. yotetrapper
    14. kilngod
    15. molly_and_me wish list updated
    16. highalttransplant
    17. sorellina wish list updated
    18. austinnhanasmom wish list updated
    19. ruthz
    20. jas_il wish list updated
    21. sguanzon
    22. rane_grow wish list updated
    23. suecirish
    24. rbrady
    25. alwaysagarden wish list updated
    26. deanna_in_nh
    27. velsgarden
    28. chemocurl
    29. hibiscusfan wish list updated
    30. sassybutterfly_2008
    31. debby_1
    32. jodie74 wish list updated
    33. sandysgardens
    34. ggwrn
    35. farmergirl2009
    36. shrlieb
    37. lisam627_ohio_z6
    38. bev2009
    39. carsons_mimi
    40. slo_garden
    kmpsmom is undecided
    pumkingal is undecided

• patrob
    13 years ago

Alana, thanks for hosting this year! Please add my name to the list of participants, and I will start working on my wish list right away.

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I'm adding a few things to my wants list from those that said we could look at their lists.
    thanks
    michelle

• suecirish
    13 years ago

I have just finished updating my want list. I am working on bringing my have list up to date too, as I have discarded many seeds that were old and sent out quite a number on other swaps. I have also added a few new ones collected this season. That list is taking a bit longer, but hopefully will be done soon. So if you ask for something that is on that have list, I may no longer have it.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This mornings update:
    2. jaynine
    5. ishareflowers
    7. mao_tse_mom
    8. just1morehosta
    13. yotetrapper
    14. kilngod
    16. highalttransplant
    19. ruthz
    21. sguanzon
    23. suecirish wish list updated
    24. rbrady
    26. deanna_in_nh
    27. velsgarden
    28. chemocurl
    30. sassybutterfly_2008
    31. debby_1
    33. sandysgardens
    34. ggwrn
    35. farmergirl2009
    36. shrlieb
    37. lisam627_ohio_z6
    38. bev2009
    39. carsons_mimi
    40. slo_garden
    41. patrob
    kmpsmom is undecided
    pumkingal is undecided

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

Well so far I have 38 seed packets choosen for this swap. 3 peoples lists were to specific for my garden but as years go on I expect to have more and more plants. Each persons seeds are in an individual baggy with a list of the seeds included listed on a note paper along with their screen names. Hopefully that will make it easy for our hostess.

• molanic
    13 years ago

Please sign me up too.

I was going to wait to join until I had my "have" list updated so people could look at it to add to their "want" lists. But, I collected a ton of seed this year and am still working on cleaning and sorting it before I can update my "have" list. I hope to have it done before Thanksgiving.

My "want" list is pretty much updated. If I add to it I will highlight any new additions.

I really loved this swap last year. I got so many goodies that I ended up wintersowing over 200 containers... not to mention all the direct sowing in spring! I also had to "replenish" my want list by scouring a bunch of gardening books. Now I have a much greater variety of seed to give back to others as well.

• jaynine
    13 years ago

My want list is pretty much updated. If I add to it, I'll do it at the bottom and include a date. I don't mind receiving duplicates.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I want in on this, the mid january will work for me.

I will get busy on my list.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The very latest:
    2. jaynine wish list updated
    5. ishareflowers
    7. mao_tse_mom
    8. just1morehosta
    13. yotetrapper
    14. kilngod
    16. highalttransplant
    19. ruthz
    21. sguanzon
    24. rbrady
    26. deanna_in_nh
    27. velsgarden
    28. chemocurl
    30. sassybutterfly_2008
    31. debby_1
    33. sandysgardens
    34. ggwrn
    35. farmergirl2009
    36. shrlieb
    37. lisam627_ohio_z6
    38. bev2009
    39. carsons_mimi
    40. slo_garden
    41. patrob
    42. molanic wish list updated
    43. countrycarolyn
    kmpsmom is undecided
    pumkingal is undecided

• jodie74
    13 years ago

Can someone tell me what WLOMWL stands for?

All I can come up with is...
    Want Lots Off My Wish List

Am I close? Sorry if this info has been posted & I missed it. It's been driving me nuts trying to figure it out! LOL

Jodie

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry Jodie, for not spelling it out. You are very close- It means "What's left on my wish list".

• kilngod
    13 years ago

ahem :)

What's Left on my Want List (I think it is officially.)

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dag nab it! Okay. I was close, too.
    Is dag nab one word or two?

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

Dagnabbit is one words.

Yep - What's Left on my Want List!

I tweaked both my want and have lists a tiny bit today, so I’m considering my lists updated. I still have some seeds coming to me (from Kansas) that my sister harvested this fall. They will be here by mid December so all is good on the seed front for now. Well I guess that’s true until I start drooling over the seed catalogs that have been arriving! Has anyone ever had a complete want list for more than a few days, especially this time of year?

I’ve been reviewing want lists today too and writing lists, etc…… We tape a ½ dozen TV shows during the week and watch them over the weekends or at least try to. We are about 3 weeks behind so tonight will be the beginning of a show watching marathon and at the same time I will be labeling ziplocs baggies for everyone, and then begin filling them with individual seed packets. I will have to package up some of the little seed packets as I go, since I mainly keep my seeds in ziplocs until needed for trades/swaps.

Happy seeding everyone
    Sandy

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

I don't seem to be able to type a simple word like word.

Dagnabbit is one word

• kilngod
    13 years ago

It was funnier as:
    Dagnabbit is one words.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    13 years ago

I know! I was laughing so hard! And, I thought you did it that way on purpose to be funny, Sandy. Now, with your 2nd post, I'm laughing even harder. (Sorry to be having such giggles at your expense!) I think the chuckles actually started over the WLOMWL question. I would have wondered the same thing, but really like the name she came up with for it, as that's how we all are with this swap! Oh, now, I'm really laughing so hard my stomach is hurting! ROFL

Blessings,
    Angela

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I retract my first explanation. The name clearly means: Who's left on my Wit List. You are all pretty funny.

If anyone knows shanti, please send me an email. She has tried to email me a couple of times asking to join the swap and my replies keep bouncing back to me.

I've fought a cold all week and I plan on giving in today; lying around and trying not to overmedicate the way I have all week. I will probably check in a few times.

Thanks and have a good weekend,
    Alana

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

Alana

I sent you an email with the email address I have for Shanti, when she was in the RUNV swap I hosted last year.

Sandy

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

Two questions:

1. If I send in something that qualifies for a general group of seeds a person has on their wish list will it be sent back to me. For example if someone has requested anything drought tolerant for zone 8 and I sent something for that would it be returned to me?

2. If I only have 30 something variety of seeds on my wishlist and then some general groups of seeds and I send in say twice that number of seeds will seeds meant for me that are in the general group be sent to me or should I stop choosing seeds when I reach 30 something seed packets?

I know questions questions questions. I'm like that.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Good Morning All!

Alana, I hope you feel better soon!

TKhooper, You will get back the number of packages that you send in. So,if you send in 50 packets and only thirty of your wants come in Alana will chose 20 additional packets to add for you.

In my case, I will not be getting back the amount that I send because I don't want that many back. I will get back 150 but will send god knows how many! I have made it through 16 wishlists and already have 119 packets of seeds in my swap envy.

Alana, are you shaking yet?? I promise that they are all in seperate baggies with the name and number of the person they are intended for!!! It should be a breeze!

Jaynine, I am pleased to say that I have things from your list. Please don't think I was being stingy, they are all commercial and some I don't have many of!

MY WANTS LIST IS READY........UNTIL I ADD TO IT......LOL

Have a great day

Lisa

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Questions are no problem.

To me drought tolerant for zone 8 is specific enough. Anything that meets those two specific requirements counts. It would be kind of you when sending seeds like that to note that on the packet or baggie so that I don't have to look up each seed to make sure it qualifies, especially if it is a little uncommon.

You will receive those seeds that match your list in the same way your seeds will be accepted as in question one, up to the number you have sent in. Obviously the more specific you are the easier it is for me to tell that the seeds sent for you are correct, but I will do my best to put the puzzle together. If you send in more than is sent for you, the balance will be made up of "extras". If there are no extras that are an exact match to your list, I will honor the gardening personality your list expresses if there are seeds available that allow me to do that.

Let me know if that did not clear things up, please.
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ishareflowers is (and has always been) an excellent choice of screen name for you, Lisa.

Thanks for that nice clean answer to tk's question, also. It took my fogged over mind so long to compose that mess that your post beat mine.
    Sheesh!!

I'll have three weeks during the holidays to spend a lot of time at home. I plan on keeping my head above water by doing all that I can on during that time. I've already cleared a large area for my "file" system to keep me organized.

The last time I hosted a seed swap I remember sleeping with seeds a couple of nights. I have a feeling I will be sleeping with seeds for a couple of weeks with this one.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

Your answer was very clear. I feel more confident adding seeds that meet descriptions rather than exact specimens. This will allow me to share more than just looking for exact matches. And I will be sure to note it on the individual baggies so you don't have to look it up.

• weebay
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I would like to sign up, it's too tempting to pass up!
    -weebay

• molanic
    13 years ago

Alana,

The topic of how the host determines what is on someone's want list had me wondering. Do you check everything sent in to see if it is on the recipient's want list? Or do you only check the want lists if you have to weed some out because too many are sent in for that person even after removing duplicates. I know you said you will check lists if you need to add more to someone's list.

I'm just curious how it works because it seems like a daunting task! Last year I got such an awesome assortment of seed and realized how much work must go in to running a swap like this. Especially when dealing with generic wants, differing common names, and mis-spellings and typos on lists.

Just preparing my own packets to send in last year was quite a task. I think I'm being smarter this year though. Before I thought making a bunch of packets ahead of time would make it easy to just select packets already made and add to a participant's baggie. I ended up making not nearly enough packets of some things and way too many packets of others that weren't as popular.

I took the idea from someone else to do a spreadsheet with the participants as columns and my list of seeds as rows. Now I just do one column (one person's list) at a time and fill in "1" for each seed (row) that I plan to give them. I also did a running total for each person, each seed, and a grand total. Now I can see exactly how many packets to make of each seed. I also can easily see how to fairly distribute things I don't have enough of for everyone who wants it. My running grand total also helps me see when to stop, or not :) My first run through I'm trying to only do specific wants, then I will go back to the people that don't have much and try to fill any general wants.

My seed addiction began just a few years ago. Each year I "thought" I had come up with a great system to help keep me organized from harvesting seed through trading and sowing. The next year I always end up changing my system though. Some things get more complicated, others simpler. I ditched the seed germination record keeping after my first year, that was a bit much :)

-Molanic

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

molanic, I always admire your lists!
    I was keeping what turned into a massive detailed seed database in Access for a while but I spent so much time trying to keep it current and adding new worksheets that I scrapped the whole project in frustration. Now I keep a simple Excel spreadsheet with Latin name, common name if known, the year and the source. I am still way behind on that one, but it really does help when I start planting or if I am trying to find out if I have a particular seed without going to the seed cabinet.

To answer your question, yes. I will be comparing the seeds sent against wish lists and rejecting any I can't make fit. Unless I misunderstood Patty, one of her chief challenges was that she was inundated with seemingly random submissions of seeds designated for people who did not request them and then had to figure out what to do with them because she had no idea why they were included at all. That must have been very perplexing.

In the event that after all the sorting and matching is finished there are more than a few remaining, how would most of you like me to handle any extra seeds at the end? Would most of you be agreeable to my posting the left over seeds and allowing people who would like them to claim them for their envelope? If I do that I would like to pre-arrange a couple of different days and times to post so that more people would have a fair chance at them. If someone has a better idea for handling that, please share.

Now:
    5. ishareflowers wish list updated
    7. mao_tse_mom
    8. just1morehosta
    13. yotetrapper
    14. kilngod
    16. highalttransplant
    19. ruthz
    21. sguanzon
    24. rbrady
    26. deanna_in_nh
    27. velsgarden
    28. chemocurl
    30. sassybutterfly_2008
    31. debby_1
    33. sandysgardens wish list updated
    34. ggwrn
    35. farmergirl2009
    36. shrlieb
    37. lisam627_ohio_z6
    38. bev2009
    39. carsons_mimi
    40. slo_garden
    41. patrob
    43. countrycarolyn
    44. weebay
    kmpsmom is undecided
    pumkingal is undecided

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Lisa~Thank you, that's very sweet. I could never associate the word stingy with you. Now you've got me anxious to get started (which I'll be doing tonight). I believe I can come up with a few things for you, too!
    Have a good weekend everybody.
    Janine

• patrob
    13 years ago

My wish list is now updated! I do not have a current list of seeds I have to share, but I have lots and will be going through everyone's list very carefully.

• rbrady
    13 years ago

Hi everyone! Just dropping in to let you know my list is updated! Thanks!

Rhonda

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

21 people left to update and I already have 46 seed packets choosen. I'm really enjoying this.

• yotetrapper
    13 years ago

OK, mine is updated. I'll most likely add to it, but for now, everything on it, I am still wanting....

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Wish lists are filling up!
    I am having trouble emailing shanti, but am adding her to the swap. I will try later tonight from another email address.
    sorellina also reports having fun with the swap, although she can't post. That's really too bad.

Still more than a week for signups, but here is our current status:

7. mao_tse_mom
    8. just1morehosta
    13. yotetrapper wish list updated
    14. kilngod
    16. highalttransplant
    19. ruthz
    21. sguanzon
    24. rbrady wish list updated
    26. deanna_in_nh
    27. velsgarden
    28. chemocurl
    30. sassybutterfly_2008
    31. debby_1
    34. ggwrn
    35. farmergirl2009
    36. shrlieb
    37. lisam627_ohio_z6
    38. bev2009
    39. carsons_mimi
    40. slo_garden
    41. patrob wish list updated
    43. countrycarolyn
    44. weebay
    45. shanti_5
    kmpsmom is undecided
    pumkingal is undecided

• patrob
    13 years ago

Just a thought, but I don't find shanti_5 as a DG member. There is a shanta_5. If her name is part of her e-mail address, that would make a difference.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Pat!! I am so glad you caught my mistake. I should have typed shanta_5. I will correct it when I do the next update tomorrow.
    Alana

• bev2009
    13 years ago

I have updated my wish list. I will work on the seeds I have available after I have filled everyone's lists.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bev2009, there is no requirement to fix your have list but you certainly may if you like. You have finished the important part!

Updated:
    7. mao_tse_mom
    8. just1morehosta
    13. yotetrapper wish list updated
    14. kilngod
    16. highalttransplant
    19. ruthz
    21. sguanzon
    24. rbrady wish list updated
    26. deanna_in_nh
    27. velsgarden
    28. chemocurl
    30. sassybutterfly_2008
    31. debby_1
    34. ggwrn
    35. farmergirl2009
    36. shrlieb
    37. lisam627_ohio_z6
    38. bev2009 wish list updated
    39. carsons_mimi
    40. slo_garden
    41. patrob wish list updated
    43. countrycarolyn
    44. weebay
    45. shanta_5
    kmpsmom is undecided
    pumkingal is undecided

• weebay
    13 years ago

Hi,
    My list is updated ;)
    weebay

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

Thanks for moving the deadlines back to mid-Dec for seed lists and mid-Jan for mailing. That's a big help! Looking forward to it.

• molanic
    13 years ago

Hey everyone. Sorellina contacted me by e-mail because she can't post here on the Round Robin forum. She asked if I would post the spreadsheet I was using to keep track of this swap. It is nothing fancy, but I thought it might be of some use to others.

I uploaded it to Google Documents so it could be downloaded. It is in .xls (Excel) format, and 136 kilobytes. I don't know how much of the formatting will be retained if it is used in another program. It is supposed to have a split window so that you can scroll the seed list and people list independently without the other moving. Below is a picture of what it should look like. It has a few lines filled in as an example. Obviously if more people join or drop out you will have to update that. I have been making the names blue if their want list is updated, and then changing the color or making it bold after I have looked at their list. It seems to be working out well for me so far.

{{gwi:1309261}}

Download Spreadsheet

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    13 years ago

Will have to have some more info on how to type my have list in. Haven't taken the Computers For Dummies course yet.

• esiuol
    13 years ago

Count me in!! Count me in!!
    Love this swap!!

Louise

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

Hellow one and all.
    I am finally finished, my list is updated.
    Now I can get busy and read all your wishes,and hope to fill a few.
    Isn't this FUN!
    cAROL

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

Molanic,

Thanks for the link to the spreadsheet. I've saved it and have already started to fill in my seed info. I used to use a similar one but I got a new laptop late last winter and never transfered it from the old laptop yet, now I don't think I will.

Hibiscusfan

It's pretty easy even with no experience using excel. Once you click on the link, select open and it will open on your computer. Then select where you want to save it on your computer. For example I have a file called Gardeining so I saved it there and called it WLOMWL swap tracking info.

To input your seed info, just click on the proper cell, for example B6 and type your seed name, then you can tab over or click to the next cell and so forth.

Sandy