Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panhandle_seed_swap

update: 2014 obf members season of sharing part 3

Count Down To The Seed Mailing Deadline: 2 business days left (not including today).

Seeds Received From:
Nicole
Dawn
Vina
Melinda
Shirley
Erica
Margo
Annie

Jasmine and Susan have sent their seeds.

Sheri

IMPORTANT: Below is a link to previous posts, so you can get caught-up!

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 2 Season of Sharing Swap

Comments (86)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Shirley, a recipe for Miracle Grow. I would have never thought the recipe would call for powdered milk...tells you what I know...LOL! Thanks for the recipe. I will definitely give this a try. What is Messenger? A fertilizer?

Thanks Sheri for all your work on this swap....has been fun!

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

I stopped in to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. I had fun reading through the messages and looking at the pictures. This swap has to have the prettiest seed packages of any. Wow! Promise, what a great idea to put the OBF picture on the packet!

Shirley, I love the scene you created with the lantern, deer, and fireplace. A cozy chair, a book, and somethng warm to drink and I would be all set there for a long time.

I don't know when we'll decorate for Christmas. We usually wait until December, but here is Dec. 1 creeping up on us right after Thanksgiving. We put up 2 full sized trees and some small ones. Our main tree is a live one that we cut at a tree farm ... and like Shirley, I have so many decorations - many from my parents and grandparents so you know you hate to get rid of things like that and I can't see having them and not putting them out so it's a major project and can take us up to a week. Nothing really goes outside except for the wreath on the front door and some greenery around it and a set of large candles that my father made. We put them on each side of the doorway, but the wiring is so old that I don't dare to light them up. Our house sits back away from the road and heavily wooded in front, so people can barely see it and probably only when they take time to look when they are taking a walk.

I also got into collecting Snow Village years ago and love it, but as I add more and more things you wonder where it will fit. It's a lot of work putting the things out where they belong, but I think it's fun as long as I don't need to hurry. Now as for taking it down, that's no fun at all!

Shirley, it sounds like you have lots of fun at work in December so I hope you can enjoy all the holiday fun. I have several Christmas parties to attend early in the month and then things will turn quiet for awhile. I volunteered to do a table centerpiece for one of the parties so I need to plan that. It's not just one floral arrangement - with this group everyone who does it has a large collection and everyone goes from table to table to view them, I made a display with snowmen a few years ago. This time I may bring many of my blue and white Delft items and add some candles and trees to tie it all together with Christmas. I guess I'd better practice how it will look at home first.

Have a safe holiday, everyone!
    Jeanne

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary's seeds arrived today! (see photo) Wonderful seeds, Mary... thank you! She sent me some nice hostess gifts, a cool thick-glass Ladybug bowl (arrived safely in one piece... a postal miracle) and some really cute Ladybug stickers. There was a sturdy book mark from her museum, too. Thank you so much for your thoughtfullness Mary.

Sheri

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Yeah, glad the seeds came! Can't wait to see what everyone sent to us all!
    Wishing all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving! I was going out of town to my sister's and son's for the week, but spent morning at dr. 2 shots and 2 meds later, I won't be cooking or going anywhere! But thankful that I got there as soon as I got sick and maybe can kick this pneumonia before it gets worse. Said if wasn't better in couple days, I need to go to ER. But I have faith I'll be much better by then. I can be very thankful from my bed for the many blessings in my life! Enjoy your families and count your blessings to all!
    Hugs, Melinda

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

The POTUS just spoke in my neighborhood earlier, I got home about 7:30pm You might see us on the news tonight. Can't mention political stuff on GW. I'm in the exact middle, about twelfth row, like three rows behind Michelle's family, red sweater. Awesome to see hear him speak in a small venue like that, hecklers calmly addressed.
    Melinda, be careful, I've had pneumonia. Shirley, thank you for the Miracle Grow receipe.
    That red background really makes that shot, Sheri, thanks. Oh Erica I have a separate info page on your seeds. Separate cover.
    Tired and hungry, Mary E.

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 22:22

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Mary -- Oh?! You have me curious now!

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

YOUR SEASON OF SHARING PACKAGES ARE MAILED! Thank you, to everyone who participated.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :) Here are your tracking numbers:

Susan B. 9114 9011 8986 6881 2707 00

Erica 9114 9011 8986 6881 2706 87

Vina 9114 9011 8986 6881 2706 63

Shirley 9114 9011 8986 6881 2706 49

Margo 9114 9011 8986 6881 2706 25

Dawn 9114 9011 8986 6881 2705 88

Annie 9114 9011 8986 6881 2705 26

Connie 9114 9011 8986 6881 2705 64

Melinda 9114 9011 8986 6881 2705 40

Erica 9114 9011 8986 6881 2706 87

Nicole 9114 9011 8986 6881 2705 02

Mary 9114 9011 8986 6881 2704 89

Promise 9114 9011 8986 6881 2704 65

Jasmine 9114 9011 8986 6881 2704 41

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Wow, that was fast! I am so excited! Can't wait to see what you wonderful ladies sent for me!
    I'm being careful. Stying in bed. lots of fluids. Dont' have energy to do much. Thank God for Laptops! Been up since 3:30 coughing and coughing! Yuck!!
    Have a wonderful day! Hugs, Melinda

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Melinda- take care of yourself. Pneumonia is nothing to mess with!

Sheri- that was a lot of numbers to type in. This will be my first year of really trying to grow flowers from seed so I'm excited to see what was sent!

Today is pie and chopping day so the house will be festive and have a wonderful smell but I still can't motivate myself to get the Christmas decorations out... maybe this weekend.

Happy Wednesday!

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Melinda-So sorry to hear you are sick...Get well soon. When you are confined laptops, tablets and etc. are the best.

Yeah our seeds are on the way. More daydreaming about Spring so we can plant them.

Annie-I was a little surprised about the powdered milk in the miracle gro myself. It must have an ingredient that works well with the other additives.

Info about Messenger:

â¢It fools the plant into thinking it's being attacked by disease and triggers its immune defenses.
    â¢It is environmentally safe, breaking down quickly. Does not pollute ground or surface water.
    â¢Promotes root growth, vigor, disease and stress resistence, increased flowering and fruit set.
    â¢Works especially well on roses, even extending the vase life of cut flowers.
    â¢Labeling now includes use on aquatic plants that either float or grow above the water line.
    â¢Messenger Seed Treatment brings the influence of harpin proteins into play before germination.
    â¢Similar products are marketed, but only Messenger uses the plant's own processes to protect it.
    â¢Messenger can be used on all types of plants, indoors and out, including lawn, trees and shrubs.

Jeanne-I love the snow villages and I always try to visit a Christmas shop in a local town to see theirs each year when they display it.

MaryE-Thank you so much for the beautiful card, owl pin and copies of Linnea in Monet's Garden. You made my day when I received this.

Shirley

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Melinda, so sorry to hear your not feeling well. (((((BIG HUGS)))))

Shirley, THANK YOU for the miracle grow recipe!!! You don't even want to know how much money I've spent on Miracle Grow...never even occurred to me that you could home make it :D

WOOHOO!!! Seeds are on the way!! Amazing job Sheri!!

Happy Pre-Thanksgiving Everyone!!! Taylor and Billy are excited for all the prep work going on today. :)

Have a great day!!
    vina

• bluee19
    9 years ago

I am sick too Melinda. Sending you warm hugs and rest!! I have cold virus going on and taking antibiotics.

Sheri ~ Thank you so much for Hosting and being so kind to us. We are thankful for all your work. I will be anticipating to see what seeds I get from my precious OBFs. My mailbox lately hasn't been fun to open!!

Everyone have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY!! Its almost turkey time!!

• skyblue52
    9 years ago

Hello i love reading everyones post. Recipe for mircle grow. Great. Yes I am thinking about getting Christmas up. Sheri I loved looking at your seed trade facebook post. I am not getting post from facebook again. I think it is the new thread . I have not posted on it. Everybody have a great Thanksgiving and look forward to the new seeds i will be recieving. Susan

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving y'all!!! :) God bless you!

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Murphy's Foil law: If you only run out of aluminum foil once in two years, it will be on Thanksgiving when you need it for leftovers.

Mary E.

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

Oh Mary! That's kind of funny! After reading that I had to go make sure there was enough foil and plastic wrap... We're good. I hadn't even thought to check before. It's just always there.

Happy Thanksgiving one and all!!!

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Well, it is Thanksgiving and I am still in shorts. It is almost 9:30am out here in Southern CA and it is 83 degrees....
    It does not seem right!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Stay warm and be safe...

Annie

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I'm thankful for all of you, OBF. Think of the pollinator's role when you feast today.

Mary E.

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you wonderful OBF ladies!
    I am still under the weather, but still counting my blessings!
    I am excited to possibly get my package tomorrow or Saturday! Hoping all have a wonderful day and many memories!
    Hope you are getting better Nicole!
    Hugs to all, Melinda

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Melinda and Nicole...Big hugs to you two, hope you are feeling better and be good as new very soon.

Promise-Thank you so much for the sweet get well card. It is always so nice to get the mail and have something besides bills and junk mail.

OBF Ladies Happy Thanksgiving. I ate way too much but loved spending time with my family and especially my Mom. We went to the nursing home and brought her to our dinner.

Shirley

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had a wonderful surprise from Nicole (I'm just sure it's Nicole). It was a Secret Santa $10.00 Seeds of Change Gift Certificate!!! Also... thanking me for hosting the OBF swap. :) Thank you, Niclole. That was VERY thoughtful, kind and generous of you!

This makes me the first one to get a Secret Santa seed gift as well (so exciting!), so I posted on that forum, too.

The E-certificate was signed: "OBF and Secret Santa w/intials start with N". That's got to be, Nicole.... right?

Participants might start receiving their Season of Sharing packages today! It looks like everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Shirley, thank you for picking-up your mom! :)

The Christmas Season is in full-swing, now! I hope everyone enjoys it.

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 7:19

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Do you hear sleigh bells? I do.

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

I rec'd my package today! I am ecstatic with what I rec'd ! Thank you all so very much for making the packs so pretty and festive! I loved it all and can't wait to start planting! But Thank You all again SO mUCH!!
    I'm still pretty under the weather! I hope everyone else is getting better or doing fine!
    Hugs, Melinda

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Sheri-What fun picking out seeds with a gift certificate.

I received my package today and was so surprised by all the want seeds in those packs. Just goes to show you never know who may have the seeds you are looking for.
    My green house is calling my name..can't wait to get these started.

Shirley

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Happy Friday Everyone!! It sure is when I went to my mailbox and found a goody bag instead of a bill!!! Thank YOU ladies for the wonderful seeds. I hope I have a green thumb to make these seeds become BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS like each one of you who are beautiful on the inside and outside.

Sharing is Caring and you all really care a lot.
    From my arms to yours, sending you all hugs!!

• bluee19
    9 years ago

To our Wonderful Host Sheri ~ Thank you for buying an bigger envelope so the seeds could be mailed to me for I forgot to send that size you had notated on the rules. Thank you for putting a label too because I 4got to include one in the envelope. Thank you, Thank you, and Thank You so much!!!

Thank you for the well wishes. I am doing better. It took two weeks but I am getting there :)!!!

This post was edited by bluee19 on Fri, Nov 28, 14 at 16:57

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Sheri, my wonderful bubbler of seeds arrived today. Thanks to all who played this month...a very interesting selection of seeds came my way. Very cool!!

And Sheri, I owe you for a new bubbler. Did mine fall apart...LOL??? I am guilty of re-using bubblers until they just can not travel any further. The one I sent you was probably one of my better ones...hehehe!!

Thanks so much Miss Sheri for a wonderful month of fun, BINGO, recipes and seeds.

Hoping everyone had a lovely day yesterday.Happy weekend to all.

Annie

• smitties
    9 years ago

It felt like Christmas today as I opened by big bubbly envelope. Thank you to everyone who kindly sent me so many seeds and great ones at that!!! I loved the creativity right down to the leaf confetti in the pack from Vina.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

No black Friday shopping for me. I worked at the shop today and we were busy. My feet are killing me and I am running a 5k tomorrow. I need to soak my feet. LOL

Thanks again Sheri for a job well done as hostess of this months swap. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful

Margo

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness! I just checked my mail and I have a huge pack of seeds. I can't wait to dig in and see what's inside. A great big "thank you" to everyone! I'm definitely feeling like it's Christmas already. :)

Just went through the seeds and had to come back and post again. I am in awe of how splendid a job everyone did picking seeds for me. A million "thanks yous" to everyone who participated this month. And a special thanks to our wonderful hostess. This was a fabulous swap!

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 0:44

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm so happy everyone is enjoying their seeds! We'll do this again next November. We'll try to make it a yearly O.B.F. celebration.

I had every intention of paying the extra postage, so don't worry about that. Some of you had sent extra $'s to help with postage, anyway... very generous of you.

I had purchased extra bubble mailers (just in case the ones sent were too small) so no problem there. I have a whole year to plan for the next one, so it will be EVEN BETTER next year. Thank you to everyone who participated!

Sheri

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Sat, Nov 29, 14 at 5:59

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good-looking photo, Nicole! Thank you!

Sheri

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    My seeds came yesterday and Anna and I just LOVE them all. Thank you so much for the thoughtful seeds and the colorful packaging! Vina's confetti was very fun! Anna just had to get her hands on it. Dad got to see me in full fledged seed addict mode.

Sheri - Thank you for everything you did in this swap and the Bingo gifts! You out did yourself!

Sheri sent Christmas Card hangers, a beautiful ladybug to hang on a potted plant, decorative clothes pin magnets (which are perfect because we're always displaying somebody awesomeness on the fridge), plant label stakes and super cute Christmas owl sickers (Mackenzie LOVED these). The girls were mega geeked about this package and so was I.

Again, THANK YOU ALL, that was an excellent swap.

• skyblue52
    9 years ago

Good morning I just wanted to post the picture for Black Cumin. I am excited to grow this cool looking flower. I hope that if you received seeds for this you will try it. I will get my package today. Going out to small business sat. Don't know what I want, but the fun is in looking. Onward to a wonderful Christmas season. Thankfully Susan

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

What an amazing looking flower! I'm so glad that I will be able to grow it next year. Thanks for the seeds and thanks for sharing the picture!

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Mine fell off the truck on the way to the airport in Florida.

That flower reminds me of borage, are they related?

Mary E.

• sguanzon
    9 years ago

Here's my Christmas Cactus!

Sue G

• dm_kelly
    9 years ago

I got my package today and don't even know what to say! You all welcomed me into your group just a couple of months ago but my envelope was filled like we've been friends forever. There were seeds I plant every year but varieties that were new to me, seeds I've wanted to try but just never have, and new plants I had to look up. (Hairy balls?) Several of you wrote notes and said this plant describes you which made me giggle... There's a "delicious" member and a "sweet dumpling" member and members that are "fun" and "sweet mixes". I LOVE every thing that was sent. Thank you all so very very much!!!

Dawn

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

Margo-I didn't shop on Black Friday either. I could just see someone stepping on my foot. How did you do in the 5K today?

Nicole-Wow that Black Cumin is gorgeous can't wait to grow that beauty.

SueG-Your Christmas Cactus is beautiful.

Shirley

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Evening!

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Sheri, I got your email. No, my seeds haven't arrived. The tracking number says they departed Pensicola on the 26th and they are in transit. They must be taking the scenic route, lol. :)

I'll let you know when they arrive.

Have a super Sunday!
    vina

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

? Sheri maybe it is not that they are too lazy to scan, maybe they stop scanning when they get behind.

Today I am grilling a turkey, since we were out on Thanksgiving. Son at band practice. Indian Summer weekend over, temperature dropping. Sweet potatoes done, mashed potatoes almost done and then the gravy. Checking the turkey in five minutes.

Mary E.

• smitties
    9 years ago

Shirley, forgot to thank you for the recipe postcard you attached to my seeds.

I did ok on the 5k. After working 6 hours on Small Shop Saturday, (we were swamped all day), my feet were tired. I ran a bit slower than usual and finished in just under 43 minutes. The weather was perfect for a run. In the high 40's. There was a night light holiday parade immediately following. We had fun.

Thanks again to all who participated in this swap. I just finished organizing all my seeds and can't believe how many great seeds I have received.

Have a good week. Margo

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Wowee!! Today I received my Season of Sharing package. Thank you, all of you for the wonderful seeds and surprises. How did Promise send eggplant when I never mentioned it to anyone until midnight last night?? I enjoyed all the special touches and whimsy and the recipe card. Sheri, thank you for all your organizing and creativity. IShareFlowers, thanks to you, too. Hugs all around.

Mary E.

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like the last ones got their packages delivered today! That was slow for First Class this early in the season.

Thanks again to everyone who participated. Next year, IâÂÂm going to give prizes for âÂÂbest/most creative packaging of seedsâ and probably a couple for the âÂÂmost generousâ participants. IâÂÂm sure IâÂÂll think of more. I have a year to plan it!!!

Sheri

• jas_il
    9 years ago

I got my seeds today and happy to see nice selections everyone sent. Thank you all and my special thanks to Sheri for hosting.

Jasmine

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Got my seeds today!! THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Can't wait to go through them all!

My raffle prize is under our tree...wrapped so pretty...decided to wait till Christmas. :D

Happy Holidays!
    vina

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Just wanted to come back and thank Sheri and all of you wonderful ladies for my seeds! I was so sick when I got them and was happy, but I went through them yesterday and amazed with them!! Thanks goes out to Lisa also who shared some of her amazing seeds!
    This has been a wonderful swap and really enjoyed it! I posted on rate and review for all!
    Have a great day to each and everyone of you! Hugs, Melinda

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Just wanting to drop in and say a BIG THANK YOU to Sheri for sending along some seeds from a few ladies who sent in seeds for me.... THANK YOU to Shirley, Margo, Promise and Erica. I am just over whelmed with your kindness. Shirley I love the recipe too (how did you know that I have been trying to find a good potato soup recipe? It was perfect timing) I have been under the weather with bronchitis and then had a dear friend pass away just recently. This sure brightened my spirits. Thank you again ladies for all you do for everyone, not just me.

Jayeanne

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Jayeanne, you wanted some Indigo Blue Berries from me. I think you must have them by now, but let me know and tell me if you want anything else on my trade list.

I am sorry about the loss of your friend.

Mary E.

• NonnaG
    9 years ago

Hi friends! I received my seeds last Saturday. You guys are amazing! My spring planting is going to be an awesome adventure especially at the shop. Thank you so much. My computer has been hit with viruses to the tune of $600+. Roger was not a happy camper. My phone is really acting crazy as well. Please don't give up on me. I love you all!

NonnaG