Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Color of the Month Swap for December: Silver & Gold

sandlapper_rose
13 years ago

Please do not expect me to do a lot with organizing this prior to December 1, but I wanted to start people thinking about this one. It's the last 2010 installment of the Colors of the Month Swaps. I have been looking forward to being hostess for this one for a long time!

You do remember the carol about silver and gold, don't you? That's why I selected these colors for December.

Silver and gold, silver and gold

Ev'ryone wishes for silver and gold

How do you measure its worth?

Just by the pleasure it gives here on earth.

Silver and gold, silver and gold

Mean so much more when I see

Silver and gold decorations

On ev'ry Christmas tree.

We will need at least 5 people to sign up for this swap to go forward. POST HERE if you would like to participate. After signing up here on this thread, please send me an e-mail with your full name & address and your GardenWeb name. If you fail to do that, you will not be included in the swap. I will send out my address after Dec. 1 and after there are at least 5 responders. If there are fewer than 5 responders, I will just post here that the swap has been cancelled. Sure hope that doesn't happen!

DEADLINE FOR SIGNING UP: December 12th

DEADLINE FOR SENDING SEEDS: December 20th

I will get the seeds mailed back out to you by the end of the month. They may or may not make it to you by Dec. 31, but if not - they will definitely be there by early January. You just have to wonder how the mail service will become bogged down with the Christmas rush.

You may include seeds that produce silver or gold flowers, foliage, fruits, or vegetables, or just have the word "Silver" or "Gold" in their names!

You may send flower seeds, vegetable/herb seeds, or a mix.

(Please specify what you would like back: edible, non-edibles, or a mix of both.) I will do my best to fill your request, but it all depends on what is sent in!

Absolutely NO Invasive Plants or Noxious Weeds!!!!

Please send seeds no older than 2 years old.

Please send unused postage stamps in the amount that it costs you to mail to me so that I can use them to mail the seeds back to you and include a mailing label with your correct address. Also, please make sure you send a padded envelope that can withstand a second mailing or add a smaller one inside your large envelope. Sometimes they come in a bit tattered or it is hard to cover up the original address information so anything you can do to make that part easier for me, I will appreciate it.

Please include on the packet label: the seed's name (be as specific as possible), whether your seeds are from a commercial source or hand-collected, and the year stamped on the package if it's commercial seed, or the year harvested if it was hand collected.

The packet limit for each color is no more than 5 packets of a single variety of silver seeds and no more than 5 packets of a single variety of gold seeds. Feel free to send in extras. These will be counted as bonus packs and I will try to send bonuses back to those who send them in, but again that depends on what is received. You can send in as little as 1 pack of seeds, there is no minimum to send in.

As for the number of seeds in each packet, please send in the number of seeds that you would be comfortable receiving yourself. Some of this depends on the variety. Weather was a factor this year, too. I know some plants did not produce as many seeds as usual (at least here in SC because of the heat and drought) and maybe other places had those issues, too, or maybe too much rain. However, knowing that I had signed up to be hostess for this swap, I bought some Silver and/or Gold seeds when I saw them earlier in the year so there are some here waiting to be swapped!

As for the colors, a gray will be counted as silver (for example Dusty Miller), a deep yellow will be counted as gold (for example Marigold Mumsy Orange) --- and there is that word in there, too - MariGOLD!!! Think about Touchstone Gold Beets, Pumpkin Autumn Gold, Plectranthus Silver Shield. Anyway, there are plenty to select from.

{{gwi:1257856}}

I hope you will join in. Any questions, please let me know.

Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the rest of the holiday season as well.

Jeanne

Comments (29)

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Please include me!
    Alana

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Me, too.

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

Add me to the list.

Sent you an email.

Don

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not even Dec. 1 yet and we have:

dem_pa
    jaynine
    poisondartfrog
    and me - sandlapper_rose.

I'm sure we will get one additional person (probably several more) and this will be held.

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still looking for a few more gardeners who like silver and gold. The more the merrier and we do get a better assortment of seeds to send back out if we have more than four swappers. Come join us!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought for sure a few more people would find us over the Thanksgiving Holidays. Well, if you were busy eating turkey or shopping, it is not to late - join in! You have all the way until December 12th. This is not a membership only or special group. Any gardener with appropriate seeds to share can join in.

Here's some inspiration. (Just pulled these up as examples, they are not necessarily in the swap... although I can tell you that some will be.)

Silver
    Silver Butterfly Bush Buddleja a. ‘Argentea’
    Silver Lace Vine Fallopia aubertii
    Silvervein Creeper Parthenocissus henryana
    Silvervine Actinidia polygama
    Silvery Fir Tree Tomatoes
    Silver Queen Corn
    Lunaria - Money Plant
    Tidal Wave Silver Petunia
    Okra Silver Queen
    Salvia Artemis

Gold
    Gold Crown Hosta f. ‘Aureomarginata’
    Cockscomb 'Bombay Yellow Gold'
    Celosia Fresh Look Gold
    Flying Saucer Gold Lettuce
    Doe Hill Golden Bell Pepper
    Gold Ball Squash
    Gold Nugget Squash
    Golden Acre Cabbage
    Gold Dust Aurinia
    Golden Treasure Pepper
    Gold Net Lonicera
    Goldball Geum chiloense ‘Lady Stratheden’
    Golden Alexander Zizia aurea
    Golden Bells Clematis tangutica
    Golden Poppy Stylophorum
    Goldenrod Solidago
    Golden Star Chrysogonum

Come join in. I really, really would like to get to that magic number of five!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump! Rinigng the silver bell to attract a bit more attention.
    LOL
    Jeanne

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Come on swappers! My silver and gold is already jingling in the envelope.
    Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're right, Alana, how can people turn down a swap where they will receive silver and gold? Come on gardeners. We should at least be able to get one more to sign up. If I didn't have all these fantastic seeds stored away to use for this swap I might have said no at only 4 swappers, but some people are definitely going to enjoy this swap!!!
    Join in.
    Jeanne

• jaynine
    13 years ago

I have some great seeds just waiting to be mailed, too!

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

A few gray/green and gold plants and blooms.

Cupid's Dart (Gray/Green foliage)

{{gwi:406928}}

Lamb's Ear (Silver foliage)

Golden Marguerite.

Indian Summer rudbeckia.

Rose Campion. Gray/green foliage)

{{gwi:420172}}

Don

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump.

Still taking names for this swap through to December 12th.
    You do not need to mail to me until the 20th. Join in, get them together now, and you can mail them to me when you stand in line waiting to send those Christmas cards and packages!

Anyone else?

Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

OK, after reading your lists of possibilities I can think of at least two that will fit the bill here.
    Not much, but something.
    Beth

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome to the swap, Beth!
    Glad to have five participating now.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will be sending my mailing address to each of you who have signed up. I have been having problems with my internet connection this week and then GardenWeb earlier today so here's hoping it goes through. If not, please e-mail me and then I can respond directly from that e-mail. I may have already sent my address to a few people who signed up early. I just thought I would send to all in case I had not.
    If anyone else is interested, the last day to sign up is the 12th!
    Jeanne

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Mailed 'em.
    Alana

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Sent mine yesterday. Thanks for hosting!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Seeds have begun to arrive and each one of you is so creative! I am having a great time looking to see what you included --- plus Alana mailed her seeds in a padded SILVER envelope. How great is that? I have never even seen one before. Don included a Christmas card. How thoughtful! I also received Janine's envelope with lots of great seeds. So, once I get mine together and Beth's arrive, I will get them all swapped out and let you know to start to watch for them in the mail. I think Silver and Gold is a great way to finish the year!
    I hope everyone is close to being ready for Christmas. It seems like there is still so much to do here, but I think there is a lot to do ALL the time so what is new? LOL
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wanted to update on this swap saying that I just e-mailed Beth to see if she has mailed her seeds to me. The others are here. This was a small group. Once Beth's arrive and I sort through mine (which will likely be right after Christmas), the seeds will be swapped and sent out. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I haven't heard from Beth for a few days, but I still expect her to be sending her seeds and expect they are on the way. If they are not here by the end of the week, I will just swap out what is here so the swap can be completed. Sorry for the delay, but with so few participating, I thought I would wait to see if we can add a few more packets to the stash.
    I must have picked the wrong colors or something. Not many signed up when I did this earlier in the year with "Chocolate" either. I haven't seen any mention of the Color of the Month for 2011 so maybe the interest is just not there. Thanks to those who joined in both times so I wouldn't be too disappointed by the turn out!
    I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2011!
    Jeanne

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Thanks Jeanne, for following through. I know it's tough to sort for everyone when you don't have much to work with. I will be happy with whatever comes!

I have not heard anything about the Color of the Month for 2011 either but if it launches I would love to host my favorite-white- again, lol.

Alana

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Beth's seeds arrived today so we are all set to swap! I didn't even know if there would be mail delivery today. Anyway, I expect to mail on Wednesday. Each of you sent a wonderful selection of seeds and I have to say, the least duplication I have ever seen in hosting a swap. That is quite an achievement.
    Happy New Year to all!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The seeds are in the mail making their way to your house so be on the lookout for them! Thanks for joining in and I hope you enjoy your silver and gold seeds.
    Jeanne

• dem_pa
    13 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thanks to all who shared their seeds. I received a great selection. Thanks to a great hostess.

Don

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Me, too. Thanks for such a nice selection & for hosting this swap. Great job.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, those seeds traveled fast! Glad you liked them and thanks for letting me know that they arrived okay. I will watch to see if the color of the month continues next year.

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

I got my seeds yesterday. I truly enjoyed the clever selections!
    Alana

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Mine arrived yesterday too and I'm pleased with the selection.
    Nice job Jeanne. Thanks again.
    bethb

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everyone has received their seeds and thanks for letting me know. This was a wonderful group of "senders" - you were so well organized and sent in a lot of variety so thanks to you as well for making this swap special!
    Jeanne