Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrob46

NEW: What's Left on My Want List Swap 2013

patrob
10 years ago

Still time to sign up for this swap!

I'm patrob (Patricia) and have volunteered to host the What's Left on My Want List (WLOMWL) Swap again this year. We had great participation last year, and I hope this year's swap is just as big. New traders are always welcome to join too!

In hopes of making this swap an even better experience and more fun for everyone, there are a few tweaks to the rules and procedures.

Please read all the info below.
Important Dates:
Post and update your want list through Dec. 2 as well.
Mail seeds to me no later than Jan. 6, 2014.
I will mail back to you no later than Jan. 20, 2014.

Participants
#1 patrob (Patricia)
#2 kchd (Katie)
#3 velsgarden (Velvet)
#4 pinkiris (Jayeanne)
#5 em247 (Emily)
#6 primrose1x3 (Karen)
#7 ishareflowers (Lisa)
#8 jhgarden9 (Judy)
#9 sandysgardens (Sandy)
#10 xiangirl (Heidi)
#11 jas_il (Jasmine)
#12 FryMomma (Laurie)
#13 poisondartfrog (Alana)
#14 micyrey (Michelle)
#15 drippy (Kim)
#16 ruthz (Ruth)
#17 midwestfarmwife (Mary)
#18 hibiscusfan (Sue T)
#19 sguanzon (Sue G)
#20 LullabyF360 (Alicia)
#21 ForeverRecycleReuse (Jessica)
#22 jlee160 (Jen)
#23 yeli0507 (Dionlys)
#24 sorellina (Julianna)
#25 rane_grow (Iris)
#26 jaynine (Janine)
#27 mjzzyzoff (Molly)
#28 debby_1 (Debby)
#29 Mermaidinthegarden (Miriam J)
#30 Charity
#31 beautifulreddahlias (Nina)
#32 leilahamaya (Leila)
#33 duane456 (Duane)
#34 foolforabloom (Miriam W)
#35 vajeff (Jeff)
#36 molanic (Morgan)
#37 lovesblooms (Taqiyyah)
#38 aquadragonfly
#39 loveless (Crystal)

Send Me Your Info:
As soon as you sign up, send to pat46rob@gmail.com
your GW name,
real name,
and mailing address

You may also include your preferences about duplicates and substitutions and types of seeds you do or don't want.

Your Want List:
Post your want list on your member page along with the date you updated it.

You may add to or take from your list until Dec. 2. After Dec. 2, no changes are allowed.

Each time you update your list, post to the thread so those who have already looked at your list will know to look again and I know to update the Composite List. It might be helpful to put newly added requests at the top of your list.

If your list is not current now, you might put "Not Updated" at the top until you are ready for others to start selecting seeds for you.

Composite Want List:
I post each person's list to The Composite Want List on Google Docs. When your list is ready, post here or e-mail me so I will know to add it. Any time you update your list, do the same, and I will update the Composite List as well.
The link to the Composite Want List is at the bottom of this post.

Eligible Seeds:
Send ONLY seeds that are on someone's want list. Seeds that are not on want lists will be returned to you unless you have indicated they are extras for sharing.

Send viable seeds not more than two or three years old in most cases.
Here's a chart to help you decide if your seeds are still good: http://www.hillgardens.com/seed_longevity.htm

Bottom line: Send only seeds you would be pleased to receive!

Please do not send anything other than seeds -- no cuttings, bulbs, etc.

Seed Packets:
Be as generous as you can in the number of seeds per packet. Normally 15-20 seeds are about right with more for tiny seeds and fewer for very large seeds.
Exception: If you have just a bit of something special, most of us would rather receive a small amount than none.

Mark each packet you send in clearly with
the name of the plant, including the scientific name if you can,
year the seed was harvested or packaged for,
recipient's number,
your name or number.

If you don't put your own number on the packet, I will have no way to prevent giving you back your own seed when I distribute the extras.

If the seeds fulfill a generic wish, such as "butterfly attractor" or "your favorite perennial" or "anything red," please mark this on the packet so l know for sure it was requested.

Group seeds for each participant in baggies or tape them together. That will save me lots of time.

Seeds You Will Receive:
You may send in any number of packets and will receive the same number in return unless you tell me not to send back that many. Extra packets will be divided among all participants.

How many of your wishes are actually filled depends on what is sent in for you by others.

If fewer are sent in for you than you sent to me, you will receive duplicates, when possible, or substitutions. If you have a preference, let me know when you e-mail me your info. Also if there are types of seeds you don't want, include that info in your e-mail, and I'lll do my best.

Return Shipping:
I prefer to return seeds to you in either a small priority box or a priority padded envelope. I can print labels at home at the following discounted prices, including delivery confirmation:

$5.15 -- The small priority box will hold up to 100 seed packets, perhaps a few more.

$5.70 -- The padded priority envelope will be necessary for larger trades.

If you prefer regular mail and do not want delivery confirmation or priority shipping, you may send a self-addressed label and the same number of stamps it took to mail your package to me. I'll reuse your bubble envelope and send it back to you by regular mail.

Last Year I Did Not Emphasize, But Should Have:

I really do look at each seed packet and check it against the recipient's want list. Most of you were excellent at filling wishes!
However, I spent many hours with piles of "orphan" seeds, searching the Composite Want List to see if I could find them homes where they were wanted.

Read want lists carefully. If a person lists specific varieties of a plant, that is what they are asking for. If they are open to other varieties, they will say so.
For example, sending a packet of unnamed marigolds is not acceptable if someone asked for "Marigold: Disco Flame." If you are searching the want lists and see "Marigold," look to see if it's a heading and specific varieties are listed before assuming that any marigold will do.

This year I will return to you seed packets that are not on want lists!
Exception: Unrequested seeds you have indicated are extras to be shared are okay.

This is NOT the swap to rehome really old seeds. If packets are so old that writing is worn off or the paper is wearing out, that's a hint the seeds are probably too old to be viable.

Packets need to be sealed! Seeds bouncing around loose at the bottom of your package are wasted!

If you send lots of seed packets with just a few seeds each, I'll count them as half packages, not wholes.
Exception: Small packets of special seeds are fine!

If you send multiple packets of the very same seed for one person, they will count as one packet.
(When someone says duplicates are okay, it means duplicates that just happen to come in from different people.)

Limit how many packets of generic seeds you send for any one person and try to send seeds for as many different participants as you can.

A person may have more general wants, and that is fine. This swap is for everyone. However, if a lot of you send in 20-60 packets each for that one person, others with more specific wants are going to end up with a lot of unwanted seeds. That's really not fair.

As far as possible, I will send back to you the same sort of seeds that you send in: mostly named in = mostly named out; mostly generic in = mostly generic out. Note: I said as far as possible.

If you can, mail before the deadline! Every day helps when it gets down toward the end.

Suggestions for New Traders:

Be sure to post on this thread or e-mail me when your want list is ready for others to use when selecting seeds for you.

The sooner I add your list to the Master List the better as some will start filling seed packets right away to avoid the holiday rush. Remember the old adage about the early bird and the worm!

You may keep working on your list until Dec. 2, even after I add it to the Master List. Just post here or e-mail me whenever you make changes, and I'll update the Master List each time. It's quick and easy to do as long as I know to do it, so don't worry that you are a bother.

It might be helpful to post a list of seeds you have available to trade on your member page. Lots of people like to "shop" and may add seeds they see on your list to their want list. What you consider ordinary may be just what someone else is hoping for. If you have seeds for plants native to your area, they may be perfect for trading.

And now:
Let's get this swap started and have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Composite Want List

This post was edited by patrob on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 13:43

Comments (143)

• mjzzyzoff
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

UPDATED! Also, have been filling wishes for last few days - I'm surprised how many I'm actually able to fill! This is fun!

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've updated your list too, Molly. Yes, filling wishes is fun, and it's also addictive. I have trouble putting down the seed boxes and getting other tasks done.

• beautifulreddahlias
    10 years ago

I've never done this swap before and it sounds like fun, Please sign me up!!!! I've also UPDATED my list!

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We are happy to have you join us, Nina! I've added your want list to the Composite List. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any.

• velsgarden
    10 years ago

Have added more...I have got to quit looking!Does anyone else have this problem...lol

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Most of us do, Velvet, but it's part of the fun of this swap!

My problem is wanting so many plants that are just not going to survive in the middle of Texas. If it can't take heat and wind or requires constantly moist soil, I need to forget it. I still look though.

I've updated your list on the Composite List.

• velsgarden
    10 years ago

Thank you Patricia.Im one of them that have to try it.Im a zone pusher and everything.Just might as well say Im a seed addict.Just cant help my self..

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's one reason we all enjoy this swap. We can wish for anything, try it, and not be out a lot of money if it does not work out. Sometimes we are successful with those new plants, and that is the real reward!

We used to grow a large vegetable garden, and I spent the summers canning and freezing. When the boys grew up and left home, we cut way back and now have just a few raised beds. Fresh veggies are just so much better than store-bought, and prices for ordinary veggies have gotten ridiculous. I'm going to plant even more next spring. If we harvest an abundance, there's senior housing not far from us, and the residents are always happy to receive good vegetables.

• Mermaidinthegarden
    10 years ago

Updated my wishlist

• leila hamaya
    10 years ago

hi
    i would like to sign up for this swap. =)
    i have a lot of edibles for sending.
    my have and want list is pretty well updated, but i will edit it tonight again..my want list is pretty long!

i will send an email with my address and info.

ps, cool about your farming and growing your own food =)
    i am all about it, and very pro yardens

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Miriam, I've updated your list.

Welcome, Leila! We are happy to have you join our swap. I've posted your want list to the Composite List. I hope you have a lot of fun and many of your wishes are fulfilled!

• duane456
    10 years ago

Please sign me up, my list are updated. Thanks !!

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will e-mail my address to all participants Dec. 2, right after the deadline for signing up and posting or changing lists. Unless you have an emergency, please wait until then to mail your package to me.

We've had four new people sign up in the last two days, and there are still a few others who need more time to update their lists, Try to look at all the lists and send some seeds for as many as you can.

This post was edited by patrob on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 13:55

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Duane, we are glad to have you join us! I have added your list to the Composite Want List. I hope you have fun and many of your wishes are granted too. E-mail me your info when you get a chance.

• foolforabloom
    10 years ago

Hello Yall and Patricia,

I'm a new member, first contact with Gardenweb members, but I've been an avid reader of all inputs concerning daylilies mostly, for at least 5 years. I would like to enter the red robin, even though I really mostly only have daylily seeds, THOUSANDS of them, in little plastic packages of 5 seeds or so average. labeling and collecting seeds is a work of love, as you all know. I'm off to peruse your "have" list and your "want" list, with the hope that I fit in.

• foolforabloom
    10 years ago

Hello Yall and Patricia,

I'm a new member, first contact with Gardenweb members, but I've been an avid reader of all inputs concerning daylilies mostly, for at least 5 years. I would like to enter the red robin, even though I really mostly only have daylily seeds, THOUSANDS of them, in little plastic packages of 5 seeds or so average. labeling and collecting seeds is a work of love, as you all know. I'm off to peruse your "have" list and your "want" list, with the hope that I fit in.

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Welcome foolforabloom (Miriam W)!

I know several have daylilies on their want lists, and I love them too, especially those with eyes or ruffles. I'm going to add daylilies to my want list right now!

When you have your want list ready to add to the Composite List, just post it on your member page and let me know it's done.

I hope you have fun in this swap and many of your wishes are granted!

This post was edited by patrob on Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 13:36

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    10 years ago

Patricia, I have updated again. I'm sorry, I have to update my list bits at a time due to my neck issues.I promise to get it done complete in my next session.

Thank you!

Lisa

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa, it's really no problem for me to update lists. It takes me only about a minute! Update all you want to between now and Dec. 2.

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

It's great to see some new players signing up. I have not packed the first seed for this swap, but this weekend I'm going to get to work.

• vajeff
    10 years ago

I'm late again!

Sign me up, please. My wishlist is up to date, but I may have a change or two before the deadline. There's an email heading your way.

Jeff

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's good to have you back, Jeff! You're not late at all. I'm adding your list to the Composite List right now. Just let me know when you've made changes.

• molanic
    10 years ago

Hi everyone. I would love to join again. I just updated my want list, but have not worked on my have list yet. Embarrassingly, there may be a few of the same things on both lists!

I have been gathering lots of seed, but have not had a chance to get it all cleaned up and "cataloged" yet. I am way behind compared to previous years, I am fine with extras though and will not be removing anything from my want list. I will probably be adding more though as I look through your lists and the new catalogs.

Some things I seem to have on my want list every year because I either can't get them started, or can't get any seed off from them.

This year was very strange because I have several clumps of prairie smoke that I have saved seed from for several years that did not produce a single seed. They all flowered profusely but no seeds ever formed. I was checking every day. My first year wine cups also bloomed a lot, but I was only able to find one seed head. It seems like they just weren't getting pollinated or something.

Anyways I am looking forward to swapping with you all. This and the wintersowing swap are my favorites and the only ones I have done the last couple of years.

-Morgan

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to have you, Morgan! I'll post your list to the Composite List right now.

• jhgarden9
    10 years ago

Love daylily. Just updated my list with daylily added. Thanks!

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

Hi, Patricia,

Please sign me up! My wantlist is updated.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Exchange List

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Judy, I've updated your list to add daylilies.

Welcome, lovesblooms. We're glad to have you join us!
    I've added your want list to the Composite List. You may add to it until Dec. 2. Just post or e-mail if you do so I will know to update as well.. Please e-mail me at pat46rob@gmail.com with your info: real name and mailing address. Thanks!

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

Just updated my want list.

• leila hamaya
    10 years ago

whew, thats quite a list!
    started packing, i know not everyones list is up but i figure this will take a few sessions.

since this is fresh in my mind, and apologies for going a bit off topic here, but i noticed several people requested umbrella plant, aka "indian rhubarb" - darmera peltata. i have recently been fascinated by these, i am completely surrounded by these awesome plants, they line most all of the six rivers in the six rivers national forest...theres like tens of thousands of them along every river here, being native to here. now youre all gonna be dissappointed that even though i tried to gather seeds this year, i was too late an they were already gone. next year!

but if anyone wants to contact me about getting roots, or keep it in mind for later, next year i am going to be on it and get them early =) they should be fresh anyway, according to my reading they dont store well at all.
    end off topicness =)

• LullabyF360
    10 years ago

I began packaging seeds since the day I signed up. Already have a box full!! I was surprised that I am meeting people's requests! Just the other day, to preserve my mind, I decided to wait until the deadline to finish up!

• velsgarden
    10 years ago

Hi leilahamaya.I sent you a email.Thanks

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

Just updated my want list--I went "shopping" on everyone else's have lists and my want list swelled considerably!

I've also been happy to see how many wishes I can fulfill, but since a few of us haven't yet updated our lists, I'm thinking I'll wait until after the deadline to start packing.

• poisondartfrog
    10 years ago

I fine tuned my list a bit, Patricia. Thanks!
    Alana

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've updated lists for those who posted or e-mailed me today.

It's cold in the middle of Texas. It's raining, and we're expecting sleet and ice by morning. We gave the cows a lot of hay this afternoon, so I plan to stay inside and sort seeds until it warms up in couple of days. I know, I know.... We Texans don't know what a real winter is like, and for that I am very grateful!

• duane456
    10 years ago

Sorry Patricia, but I updated my want list again. I really shouldn't look at other people's stuff.
    Duane

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol Duane, it's not a problem. Looking at what others have to offer and adding to our own lists is fun! I do it too. It takes me about a minute or less to update a list on the Composite List, and I don't mind at all! I'm updating yours right now.

• molanic
    10 years ago

I have finally updated my HAVE list in case anybody wants to go window shopping :) I usually only include seed I have collected myself since I already have the info on my computer, and am too lazy to go through the other seeds and enter them too.

I've been trying to keep a database of plants I have for generating labels and trade lists. I also have this idea in my head that I am going to be super organized and map out the yard with numbers linking to the database to keep track of what I have and where it is planted (especially the hidden bulbs). I haven't actually done it yet since it would be hard to keep up with the near constant adding, moving, and tossing of plants! So far the only thing I have used it for is seed swaps. It does save me some time, but probably makes me look a little crazy!

I'm going to start browsing the HAVE lists and thought others might find a list of links to the trade pages helpful for that purpose as well. Think I will wait on the WANT lists until everybody is joined and updated. I still have a bunch of seed to clean anyways.

patrobkchdvelsgardenpinkirisem247primrose1x3ishareflowersjhgarden9sandysgardensxiangirljas_ilFryMommapoisondartfrogmicyreydrippyruthzmidwestfarmwifehibiscusfansguanzonLullabyF360ForeverRecycleReusejlee160yeli0507sorellinarane_growjayninemjzzyzoffdebby_1MermaidinthegardenCharitybeautifulreddahliasleilahamayaduane456foolforabloomvajeffmolaniclovesblooms

• aquadragonfly
    10 years ago

I would like to join. Thanks Patrob for taking over this daunting task. (I don't remember who used to do this one, I just know this is the big one everyone wants to participate in ) I know this one is a big deal.
    I am so excited about it!!! I will start working on it as soon as I get some things out of the way.....fun, fun, fun!!!
    :) Aqua

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Morgan, for creating the list of links. That took a bit of time! lol I've never posted a have list for my seeds as I normally don't do any trading, just a couple of swaps each year. I have mine alphabetized by scientific name in several plastic shoe boxes, so I have an issue with too much organization in some areas and not nearly enough in others. :)

aquadragonfly, we're glad to have you join us. Just let me know when you are ready for me to add your seeds wanted list to the Composite List and send me an e-mail with your real name and mailing address: pat46rob@gmail.com
    I hope you have lots of fun and many of your seed wishes are granted!

• velsgarden
    10 years ago

I have been shopping again,Patricia.Please update my list.Thanks

• loveless
    10 years ago

I would love to join the What's Left on My Want List Swap 2013 please!

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will do, Velvet. "Shopping" is fun!

Welcome, loveless. We're glad for you to join in the fun and hope many of your seed wishes are fulfilled. Please e-mail me your info as soon as you get a chance and let me know when your seeds wanted list is ready for me to add it to the Composite List.

• midwestfarmwife
    10 years ago

I updated my Have & Wish lists again. I've made a huge mess in my living room with bags of seeds, little ziplock baggies, pens, notepads, colored labels, seeds under the couch cushions....have to clean it all up before Thanksgiving. This has to be the biggest trade I've been in so far!

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol I have a little room upstairs where I keep all my seed stuff. After I mailed out the last package last year, I just closed the door and did not go back in there to deal with the mess for weeks! Downstairs there are too many cats, and it takes only one to make a complete disaster of a seed box. This year I am going to take photos of the seed sorting and result mess!

Mary, I'll update your list right now!

• leila hamaya
    10 years ago

i tweaked my want list a bit, just added a few things =)
    i wont need to edit it again.

ooo and thanks for the list with everyones want lists, i got to go over some of the ones that havent been posted. have this at least half packed up, but gotta take a break now!

Here is a link that might be useful: my trade list

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've updated your list, Leila.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    10 years ago

This is what I am trying to sort through...I am so overwhelmed..lol. The tiny bag on the chair are theonly matches so far..I wish I could type a have list!!!!

• lovesblooms
    10 years ago

Hi, Patricia,

I've updated my list once more.

Wow, ishareflowers!

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Taqiyyah, I've updated your list too!

I agree, Lisa! Wow! I can tell you don't have a cat in the house. lol That would be a major temptation for any feline.

• patrob
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This thread is not far from the maximum number of posts and is difficult for some to load. Let's move to a new thread:

Part 2 WLOMWL Swap

This post was edited by patrob on Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 19:18