Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

Seeds-n-Stitches For December

dan_the_mailman
13 years ago

What do you all think of taking a breather in December by not having a swap for our group, and then coming back in January with one? The holidays are a busy time, as we're all beginning to notice, so let's not add that straw to the camel's back, okay? Instead of doing a swap, I thought we could all pop in on this thread, have a quiet cup of hot cocoa, eat some sugar cookies, converse, and simply breathe. Then I'll post a swap for our group in time for us to relax with a bit of fabric in January. Sound good?

-Dan

Comments (21)

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Sounds good to me, Dan. Thanks for the thought of less stress --- sure can use it! LOL
    Jeanne

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Sounds good to me. I was thinking of posting something along this same line but you got here first. Thanks for the good ideas Dan.

Have a Great Holiday season EVERONE!!!!!!!!
    gmom

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

That sounds good to me too. Going to pull out all the Christmas decorations this week; DH is going to put up the tree tomorrow. Have lots of crocheting and quilting to do for the Christmas presents I am making my family. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays / Peaceful & Relaxing New Year!!!!! :-)

Best wishes to all,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

perfect! we'll just keep this thread as a conversation thread for ourselves, and I'll announce the new swap for January here.
    now that we've got the december status established, what kind of swap(s) would you like to see in the early months of 2011? we've had swaps for charms, blocks, and pincushions. any other ideas?
    we could make small (12"x12") wallhangings, potholders, or something we've already done. those pincushions were a blast! what else can we think of?

-dan

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I think this is a lovely idea Dan, " pulling cookies out of the oven and pouring some eggnog"..anyone want to join me?

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oooooooooooooohhh, eggnog and cookies sounds just perfect Linda! I do love me some sugar cookies! they're great for dipping into the eggnog...hehehe!!!

speaking of cookies, how about we go ahead and share our one favorite recipe here in this thread? we'll go ahead and have ourselves a cyber-cookie exchange! lol! and just think, NO CALORIES! (unless you go ahead and bake some up in your kitchen...) I'll start with my citrus cookies, which are EXTREMELY easy! All I do is go to the store and get a sugar cookie mix, pillsbury makes a great one! then, while I'm making the mix, I zest in either oranges or lemons, adding the juice also.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Maybe a "winter theme" block swap.
    Um, blue and white, green and white, black or gray and white... what's appropriate for where you live? What does winter look like in your area?
    I don't know. Just thinking, I'll need a prod to get me sewing again when I get back home.
    BB

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

As for January and our usual swap, my older daughter is expecting and the baby shower will be that month so I doubt I will do much sewing other than making my gift for that. I will keep popping in to visit with everyone though.
    I know these other things are what I will call "unpaid other thread messages" but if you are interested, I am hostess for the Color of the Month Seed Swap and the colors are Silver and Gold. If anyone wants to participate in just a small seed swap for the month, stop in on that thread and join us. We only have 4 swappers right now and would like to get up to five. You can send as little as one packet of seeds! All the information is there on the thread. You send your packet(s) to me with some return postage and get different packet(s) back. All will be related to silver and gold in some way - color, name, etc.
    I know I am "all over the place" with postings on this, but we are also looking for a replacement swapper in the Birthday Block Exchange on the Quilting Forum part of GardenWeb. It's for the Ribbons & Bows group that has some of our "esteemed" Seeds & Stiches members in it, so if you want to know more on either of the swaps, contact me.
    Okay... finished with my non-commercial messages for the day. Still no word from smcapri about the November pincushion Swap. Sure hope she is okay.
    Everyone take a deep breath and listen to a Christmas Carol or some relaxing music. Yes, we will get through December and we still have weeks and weeks before Christmas. Right?
    Jeanne

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I won't be able to host the swap for January, can someone else take it on please?
    -Dan

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

I believe that Sandra (quiltingfox) is working on an idea for January...I"m sure she'll let us know.."S"

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

If no one has any objections I would like to host the January Seeds N Stitches Swap with our project being inexpensive, quick and easy cloth bookmarks. This is a pattern that I created and did not find it online. I have the bonding material you iron in between the fabric so you will not have to buy this. All you will need for the swap is a small piece of printed fabric, 2 small plain white envelopes and 3 44-cent stamps:

1 stamp to mail me a return mailing address label and 1 return postage stamp. Then I mail the pre-cut bonding material to you with instructions on how to make the bookmark. Then you use 1 stamp and a small plain white envelope to mail the bookmark to your swap partner - cards are optional.

The bonding material we will use will not gum up your needles so if you want to embellish your bookmark with decorative hand or machine stitching that is optional and totally up to you.

Here is a pic of what I would like for us to make:
    {{gwi:1310879}}

If no one has objections to me hosting and us making bookmarks then I will post after New Year's Day a new thread for January's Swap. That way we can continue chatting from now till New Year's Day on the December thread.

Best to you and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays,
    Sandra

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Merry Christmas!!

Happy Holidays!!

WOW!! Will we ever have a white Christmas. We have 18+ inches of snow and it is still snowing. Weatherman says it will continue 'till Tuesday. We are waiting for the wind to stop or slow down before we start cleaning up. When you do it by hand you don't want to do the shoveling to many times.

Quiltingfox it sounds like you have a great idea. I'm for you doing January.

Have a great evening everybody!
    gmom

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Hi everyone. :-) Let's keep posting on this thread until January 2nd at which time I will post a new thread. Am just really busy making my mom's canning jar quilt and am not able to upkeep a thread until January 2nd. I am mailing in a Christmas card to each member of our group, the supplies you will need for January's swap - a plastic bookmark template and 2 pre-cut pieces of Steam-A-Seam2 bonding material. This way your only expense in January for the swap will be 1 stamp to mail your bookmark to your swap partner (the bookmarks are lightweight). I have addresses for and have mailed a Christmas card and supplies to:

dan_the_mailman
    lindaruzicka
    chritzy
    sandlapper_rose
    gmom2_6boys
    micyrey
    quiltpartner
    ilovefarac

If your name is not listed above and you want to participate in January's swap please email me your mailing address and I will get things in the mail to you. I just don't have everyone's addresses at this time as I am still new to this swap.

Merry Christmas and best to you,
    Sandra

• Melinda Hagen
    13 years ago

Sandra, thanks so very much! I received your card and instructions for the bookmark! Love it. Thanks alot, Melinda

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

Sandra,
    Thank you so much for the Christmas card but I did not sign up for the bookmark swap. I will have to pass on that one. Just a lot going on that month including some traveling.
    Everyone have fun with it!
    Jeanne

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Glad you got the bookmark supplies Melinda.

Jeanne you will be missed, but hopefully you will later in the New Year find time to make the bookmarks, is a fast and easy pattern - have safe travels! :-)

For everyone else if you would like your bookmark supplies before January email me your mailing address and I will try to get things in the mail soon. If you want to wait until I post a thread on January 2nd for swap that is totally fine. I understand busy, still have lots to do on my mom's quilt. Hope everyone has a blessed and happy holiday season.

Best to you and Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!,
    Sandra

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandra, I received your card today, thank you very much! It was a great card, and the bookmark making instructions made me want to sit down and start designing! When you post the January swap, count me in, okay?
    I'm happy to announce that things here are slowly turning around, digging myself out of that financial snowbank! There've been some huge bills of late, and thankfully my customers have been generous with their tips this year. I don't know what I'd have done without them, I really don't. But, it looks like things are going to get better, and I can feel the weight lifting off of my shoulders a little. There are still some hurdles in the near future, but I think I can jump them now!

-Dan

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Dan, glad to hear you will be joining us for January's swap - that makes me so excited. :-) Glad your future is looking brighter. I am hoping 2011 promises to be a better year for us as well. Will gab more later. :-)

Best to you,
    Sandra

• gmom2-6boys
    13 years ago

Sandra,
    I got my card and supplies for the bookmarks. Thank You so much.
    I can't wait to see who my partner is and in the meantime I can decide how I want to finish or what material I want to use.
    Thanks You
    Merry Christmas
    gmom

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Hi gmom. Glad you got the supplies. I will be making my bookmark for the swap later in January. My son is getting me some fabric quarters for Christmas which I got to pick out and I think one of them with be just great for this project.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas & Happy Holiday & a Peaceful New Year!! :-)

Best to you and yours,
    Sandra

• quiltingfox
    13 years ago

Here is a link for the January swap thread. After a little prompting am posting it earlier than I had originally mentioned. Hope everyone can participate in January's swap.

Best to you,
    Sandra

Here is a link that might be useful: NEW: Seeds-N-Stitches Swap for January 2011