Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisy_me

NEW: Garden Circle Exchange Ring - 2007

daisy_me
17 years ago

This take off of a secret pal exchange will be named the "Garden Circle Exchange Ring - 2007." It is not intended to be necessarily "totally secret," just a way to brighten people's day and have fun. This will be for a full year January - December 2007 and you will need to send something to your assigned buddy every month by the 15th or you will be dropped. It was a strict rule, but resulted in a lot of success this year.

Here is the plan: After reading the guidelines and rules below send me a private e-mail with your name, e-mail address, and garden web ID with "Garden Circle Exchange Ring 2007" in the subject line. (Please make sure to include all this info in the first email so I don't get too confused.) I would like to get everyone's complete information by December 1 so I can match names before the end of the year. There will be a follow up e-mail sent to you asking for a little more information for your Garden buddy or just to let you know whether you will be in the group or if it has been filled. (Send the info to my private e-mail, and you can also post to this thread at the same time so others will see who our group will be for next year.) There will definitely not be more than 30 in the group. 2006 participants will receive "priority" ahead of new 2007 participants as long as they sign up by the December 1 cut-off date. I will e-mail each person in the group with the name and address and other information of one person they will send to next year by mid-December. You will not send a gift to the same person that you are receiving from.

Rules of the game: In order to head off some of the problems I have seen with other "pals" programs I will also use the following guidelines (these may seem a little strict, so if you don't want to follow them, just sign up for a different group). OK, so I will arrange the names in a circle (hence the name of the group), with name number 1 giving to name number 2, 2 giving to 3, 3 giving to 4 and so forth. You must send a gift or card (note or letter) between the 1st and 15th of each month. If your pal does not receive the gift or card by the 25th of the month, the person who did not receive any package or card can e-mail me by the end of the month and let me know. If that happens the person who did not send the gift will be dropped from the circle. For example if #2 doesn't send a gift and gets dropped from the circle, then I will contact #1 and have them send their next gift to #3. This DOES mean that it is your responsibility to check your e-mail before you send a gift so you can make sure that you aren't sending it to a person who was dropped. In order for this to work you must keep your e-mail unblocked so I can notify you of address changes or whatnot. If I cannot reach you by e-mail, you will be dropped. Also, you must post a thank you on our thread when you get a package because people will want to make sure you got the gift, besides it is so much more fun that way to hear what everyone is sending. If you would like to get delivery confirmation that is up to you. You can use your own return address or ask a friend if it is okay to use theirs if you want to remain secret. You do not need to remain anonymous to the person you are sending things to.

Also, everything you send HAS TO BE GARDEN RELATED (this could be a card with flowers on it, plants, seeds, gloves, tools, books, magazines, flower pots, bulbs, stationary with flowers, etc.).

This will be a 12 month exchange ring, beginning in January and going through December of 2007. You do not have to send an expensive package every month. You can certainly send just a note or a card some months, a few small gifts in a padded envelope some months, and a larger package with all kinds of exciting garden things every so often. I think it's important to realize that the commitment to send every month is what is more important than the amount you spend. If you have plants from your garden that you can share, those are just fine to send to your circle pal sometimes, too. You will receive your pals name by mid-December, so it's your choice whether you want to send an early card or gift--this is not required as the Exchange Circle officially starts in January.

I don't mean for these rules to be harsh, I don't think there should be any bad feelings if a person has to drop out, but you must let me know --- people do get sick, or have babies, or move or whatever. It isn't a punishment to be dropped, it is just a way to keep the circle going smoothly--but there will be no exceptions to the rule, and that way everyone is treated equally, and no one gets overly disappointed. There is a small chance that someone will be dropped because their package got lost or something similar--again with the no exceptions rule, you will just have to accept that risk before you commit to joining this ring. Those things can happen. Just keep it in perspective from the beginning and realize that as a human being, the coordinator will only be able to deal with all of this by following the rules. I don't have any way of knowing what happened to someone's card or package after it gets mailed.

Whenever you e-mail me, please always use the subject line "Garden Circle Exchange Ring - 2007".

OK, so I think that about covers everything. I hope this will work for everyone who is interested.

And I want to say thanks to previous years' hosts Yaya and Sandlapper for setting up this circle, the rules, and letting me plagarize last years post. :-)

Kelli "Daisy_Me"

Comments (42)

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am here raising my hand to be included... can you see me waving it back and forth?

Thanks for being our hostess... and thanks for my 2006 November package that arrived today (for anyone new, Kelli is sending to me for 2006)- as always, you picked out some great items and those seeds and little pots will let me get started with some early planting next year. The apple butter and the candy will be yummy... The poor gnome/troll had a little mishap while he was on his way here, but I think super glue may be able to fix him up. He is so cute and you had everything well packed so I think it was a matter of some rough handling on his way here.
    Happy Thanksgiving to a great pal!

Jeanne

• galium
    17 years ago

Hi Kelli,
    I'd like to join for 2007, sending you an email.
    Mariann

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Kelli,

thanks again for hosting year 3. I've had so much fun being part of this group for almost 2 years, I'm definitely signing up for another one. I'll send you an email also.

Alicia

• wynative
    17 years ago

Kelli ~ I would like to be included for '07. This year has been great - love this exchange :)

Thanks for hosting,
    Marie

• andrea81
    17 years ago

I would love to join for the upcoming year! It sounds like lots of fun ;-)

I will email you...
    Andrea

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I would love to be included too! I really enjoyed being a part of the group this year!

I'll send you an email ASAP..

Deb

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

I would love to join the group. I've sent you an email. Thanks for hosting!

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I believe I've received e-mails from everyone who has posted so far, and you all should have received a reply as well. Except....Marie/Wynative--your e-mail just doesn't like me for some reason! Is there another address we can use? Or can you sign up for a free e-mail address at yahoo or hotmail? I suspect I'm being "spam filtered" because I'm sending from a yahoo address.

Still plenty of room for both 2006 veterans and 2007 newbies! Send me an e-mail by 12/1 with your details! :-)

• etravia
    17 years ago

Hello. I would love to join also. Daisy, you have mail!
    Maggie/etravia

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Just trying to move this up on the list. Come on, gardeners, this is a fun group. Hope you will join us.

Sandlapper Rose

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the bump, Jeanne!

I haven't heard from many of the 2006 participants......come on ladies......give me a chance! I promise to be a good hostess! :-)

Remember....sign ups are open till midnight 12/1.

• wynative
    17 years ago

Daisy ~ I don't have the choice with signing up under another name - my spam/virus filter rejects those two. If someone is your helper maybe they could get the info to me? if not then I guess I will have to bow out of this one.

thanks,
    Marie

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We'll find a way around it Marie....I'll try sending from my work address to see if that makes it through to you.....and if not, there's always snail mail! :-)

• fabraholic216
    17 years ago

I'd like to join too! I'm new to garden swapping but I have been quilt swapping for years. Thanks for the chance to join your group!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Hi Kids! Well I am sorry to say I will not be able to join for 2007, but this is a great group of ladies and I want to encourage anyone thinking of joining a swap to join this one, I had a very good experience with this swap and recommend it highly ...Good Luck hostessing Kelli/Daisy, it is very kind of you to carry on and I am sure you will have a awesome year. Susan/giverny4me

• faintheart
    17 years ago

*jumpin up and down* Count me in for 2007, Kelli!

It has been so much fun participating in this great group and I look forward to another year of getting to know everyone! An email is on the way to you, Kelli.

Thank you for hosting the new year!!!

Dee aka faintheart

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I apologize for the delay folks.....we were hit with an ice storm late last week and my power has been off and on ever since.

Marie--watch your mail, I'm mailing you the questionnaire. Please e-mail me your responses so I can forward them to your pal.

Everyone else, I will be matching up pals and sending you the details very soon! :-)

• andrea81
    17 years ago

Kelli,

I didn't receive a reply email after I sent the questionaire back to you. Am I understanding correctly that you sent one?
    Thanks,
    Andrea :-)

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Kelli,

I emailed in my questionaire today, please let me know if it doesn't make it to you.

Deb

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everyone! The circle is a little smaller for 2007, we've got 12 participants total, but guess that will just make it a little cozier, huh?

I'll be sending out e-mails to everyone very soon with your pal's information. :-)

• wynative
    17 years ago

Daisy,

I did not recieve a questionaire - please let me know if I am in on this.

Thanks,
    Marie

• andrea81
    17 years ago

Marie,

I think she is snail mailing it to you. See the post about two up ;-)
    Andrea

• andrea81
    17 years ago

Ok it is actually 4 posts up! Oops!

Andrea

• wynative
    17 years ago

Andrea ~ I need to learn to read the entire post (hehehe) Thanks for the help!

I am hoping to have the email problem fixed by today or at the latest Monday.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Marie

• wynative
    17 years ago

Kelli,

you have mail!

Marie

• andrea81
    17 years ago

Just checking on how things are going with this...

:-)
    Andrea

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I'm sorry but I will not be joining this year. did 2 fun years. I will miss you regulars, especially Mellen who treated me like a queen last year and Deb who I had the pleasure of sending to. hugsCarol

• sassyd
    17 years ago

I won't be joining this year either, but would like to say whoever gets Faintheart....has a winner! She's the best!
    Sorry I can't commit right now, but you girls will have a blast!

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Check your e-mail! You should have an e-mail from me with you pal info. for 2007, if not, please let me know.

Remember, the swap doesn't officially start until January. It's up to you whether you send something in December, but it's not required in any way. :-)

Have fun!

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Just want to say that I will be sending a Christmas card to the person I will send to in 2007 so when you get it, 2007 Pal, you will know it's me!

Thanks for being our hostess, Kelli. I know you will do a great job.

Jeanne

• galium
    17 years ago

I emailed my pal for 2007 and she emailed me back. I really enjoy getting to know folks on the GW.
    Happy Holidays
    Mariann

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Just stopping in to keep this going... has anyone heard from her new Pal for 2007?
    Obviously Mariann's pal did.
    I am curious - can you tell?

Have a good week, everyone!

• andrea81
    17 years ago

I emailed my pal, but haven't heard back...

It is the holiday season and I know people are really busy, so I am not stressing too much over it :-)

It is fun emailing/sending things to people. It makes me feel good inside, lol...

Andrea

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I put a box in the mail yesterday to my new pal.....nothing big, just a little Christmas treat. Hope you enjoy! :-)

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Just stopped in to say Merry Christmas to all the 2007 participants. Have a wonderful day!

{{gwi:1311075}}

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas! I hope Santa was good to everyone. I'm looking forward to the New Year and to preparing some fun packages for my Pal!

• abcgirltx
    17 years ago

Ta da! I'm the 2007 Pal that Jeanne sent the card to, what a delightful surprise. I'll have to look up your town on a map to see where in SC you are Jeanne, my sweetie is opening a new facility in your beautiful state and I may be visiting the area occasionally.

I was slammed right up to Christmas this year, so did not get a note to my new Pal - YET! But I'm dropping a little something in the mail to her today as a late December treat to help pamper her after the holidays.

Happy New Year y'all!

Alicia

• sandlapper_rose
    17 years ago

Hope you had a Merry Christmas, Alicia! I will love sending to you this year. If you come to SC, we will have to try to meet up with each other. I live in the middle of the state, near Columbia, so it's pretty easy to get to any side (edge?) of the state.
    Happy New Year. Will send out the January package when I return from my trip. I have most of it planned.

Jeanne

• fabraholic216
    17 years ago

My darling pal Norma sent me a pretty Arizona postcard for my birthday! I'm a little late posting it because of the holidays. Thanks for the lovely card!
    Stephanie

• andrea81
    17 years ago

My pal is Marie (wynative). She sent me a cute handmade card that I received yesterday! Thank you Marie. I am glad you are my pal ;-)

My other pal hasn't posted but I hope she received my birthday box I that I sent for her December birthday :-)

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I did, but I am worn out! The holidays are just too busy...

"see" you around,
    Andrea

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

I got a wonderful package today with some scrumptious goodies :-) Walnut Fudge and the cutest little sparkly cookies. Thankkkkkkkkks Kelli!!! I sure didn't expect anything in the mail this soon. I am happy to have you as my pal so I can learn from the best on what constitutes a nice monthly package! Thanks again.

I have been in contact with my pal Norma and I have to say she is going to be a fun one to shop for :-)

• daisy_me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

What a compliment! Thanks, Susan. I can't say that I'm the best, but I certainly try. ;-)

Ladies, the January post is up so feel free to continue there.....