Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ymaddox

UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 3

ymaddox
12 years ago

This is a variation of the adopt-a-newbie formally arranged swap. At some point in the past I think this version was done at least once (maybe by accident, but it worked nicely), and a few folks helped keep the newbie list maintained. I'm hoping that we can make that work again.

***Newbies are newbies if they are truly new to Gardenweb, OR are not new to GW but new to trading and seeds, OR could really use help with seed access. Adopters can adopt whomever they please, and so can select according to their own wishes and criteria.

These adoptions are for seeds primarily (though can include plants too during the appropriate season for that zone).

***STANDARD AMOUNT FOR AN ADOPTION = 12 PACKS OF SEEDS***

(Though you can certainly do more if you have more to share.)

Costs to the Newbie:

--will pay the postage to the person sending them seeds (or plants) in advance.

--"seeds only" are the easiest and cheapest postage at about $1.50+bubble envelope to $4.00 and bubble envie included by the veteran)

--"plants too"; needs to be Priority Mail; can run from about $5 to $14

--payment of the postage can be done by check via mail or by easier/faster paypal.

Newbies:

--your email address must "show to members" on your member page in order to be put on the list. make sure your email setting is correct (see link below)

--make sure you have things listed on your Want List (see link), so we know if we have things in your interests. You can list, for example, Black Hollyhocks, Hollyhocks, or Old Fashioned/Cottage type flowers, or Things for shade or perennials, and such. (specific or general, anything helps someone match to you)

--include your zone & state.

Helpful veterans and I:

--will compile and post lists of the newbies+zone+state every so often.

--will check through recent posts and remove those who have been adopted from the new lists when compiling.

--to make things go bold, post before the words (removing the extra spaces I put there), and after the words (again, removing the spaces). This will help folks find the most recent newbies-to-adopt list.

Traders who want to adopt-a-newbie:

--Try to pick a newbie that matches your zone / climate/ region so that the seeds you know best and have to offer have a chance of growing there for the newbie. Having similarities in garden interests is a plus too.

--POST HERE FIRST announcing who you are adopting BEFORE you contact the newbie. This is for their protection.

--then email the newbie, introducing yourself, providing your screen name, zone, town, state, and offering the adopt.

Newbies who get contacted for adoption:

--check back here to see that the adopter has posted here. (I do not recommend engaging in an adoption with someone who has emailed you but not posted here on this thread. This is for your safety.)

--check the Rate & Review forum regarding the person who contacted you (for protection; this is also why it is required for the adopter to post here not just contact you). This is found at: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/raterev/

Use the search box in the center of the page (below the posts) inputting the person's screenname.

--proceed with the adopt, and arrange details with the veteran. (At this point, that usually means them offering things to send, and indicating about how much postage that will cost, and how you should send that postage.)

--send them the postage for what they're gifting.

--After receiving the package, thank your veteran & post here too (so we know the adopt worked through).

--Post good feedback/thanks for your adopter on the Rate&Review forum.

--Tina

Comments (72)

• rosemctier
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

lexigurl, i would be happy to adopt you, but i am more of a flower person than a veggie person. i do, however, have a lot of veggie seeds going unused LOL most of them are a year or more old, but have been stored well and should still be viable. drop me an email or find me on facebook (rose mctier, profile pic is a hot papaya coneflower) and i can at least send you some seeds for you to play with. have you heard about wintersowing?

I would also like to formally adopt lieblingxdasxkraut; out of everyone listed, i think our interests mesh the best. will send an email and see if i get a response :)

• Zeak Rice
    12 years ago

I contacted Lexigurl. Thanx Yvonne. Guess I'll have to unblock my e-mail or something. Last spring, when a cautious NEWBIE, I set things up. Getting more of the hang of it now.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol as long as it all works out...merry christmas season to all of you. there have been some people that have really made my christmas nice by me getting some of my want lists and also getting me started on some new plants that i never even new existed other than a basic of the plant which i did not care for. thanks to all who have fed my plant and seed addiction this christmas season...god bless!!!

• mashman
    12 years ago

In need of good parents!!!! Joined the GW a few months ago after my first season of growing. Would really appreciate being adopted. I love growing heirloom vegetables. Especially tomatos and cucumbers. I would love to grow some heirlooms that have been favorites of others on the forum. The more unusual, the better. I live in zone 5B. Adopt me and I will make you proud! Sincerely appreciate the support.

• micki
    12 years ago

I am a newbie, joined Sept this year.
    I would love someone to adopt me
    I can be specific or general which ever helps.
    My favorites are Echinachea's,
    Delphiniums,
    Though would love easy grow perrenials and biennials like
    Shasta Daisies
    Lupines
    Digitalis - Foxglvoes
    Holly Hock- Black
    could also use some cosmos seeds
    anything Daisy is also a favorite, ie Painted Daisies
    I don't know why it didn't take but I am zone 6 from PA
    Thank you very much,
    Micki777

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Posted by LynnCA none (My Page) on Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 14:12

Please put me on the adopt list, thank you everyone!

copy and posted from a old thread...thanks

• LynnCA
    12 years ago

ymaddox,
    thank you very much for copy my post. Yes, I would appreciate someone can adopt me.

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

i'd like to adopt mikki777; sending you an email :) can still adopt lieblingxdasxkraut if they want too. sending lexigurl some seeds too :)

• mashman
    12 years ago

Forgot to list my state when I requested to be adopted.

I live in MA, Zone 5b

Thanks everyone

• ptp813
    12 years ago

Hi, I'd be happy to adopt h_mclellan and mellovesgardening I have lots of butterfly and hummingbird seeds and a few veggies.

Pam...I'll email them

• ptp813
    12 years ago

I did a search for h_mclellan and mellovesgardening and I can't find links for them. I typed names in search and one comes up for a trade months ago and the others are for this post itself. So, I'm guessing they are gone or I'm doing something wrong. :-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-) Pam

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

please h_mclellan and mellovesgardening contact ptp if she does not hear from you by the 10 days i alloted to allow for anyone interested to post they are still interested you will be removed from list...but no fear all you have to do is ask again to be readded. so if you are still interested please contact ptp.

ptp if you do not hear from the adoptees by the 15th please let me know and would love if you would adopt someone else...thanks

problem is i think is that alot of the people have been on the list a long time before we started keeping this up again and so they were not adopted so just kind of gave up. would love it if they all showed up and said they still wanted adopted but we will start from here and proceed.
    yvonne

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LynnCa --please post your zone and your interests
    Jennyerin --post a zone and i can put you on the list.
    ShellJo77 -- Post here and tell us your state and some general gardening interests. You're more likely to be adopted and adopted better if your veteran matches part of your interests.
    ScrapNCrafty -- post a zone and I can put you on the list.
    palmcitrusbananavaz7 -- gotcha, on the border.

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

Zone 5:
    mashman (zone 5b) (interests: heirloom veggies)
    tlgraham (zone 5) (interests:veggies)
    jlee160 (5b Michigan) (interests: edible landscape, flowers)
    sunflowerlove25 (Illinois) (interests: container gardening, veggies, herbs, shade plants)
    ShellJo77 (state unk) (interests: unk)

Zone 6:
    razkeys (state unknown, please post) (interests: veggies)
    sixmillerz (6a SW Missouri) (interests: OP heirloom veggies)
    miafolks2011 (springfield mass) (interests: veggies, fruits)
    molotschna (6a Kansas) (interests include coleus, houseplants, see page)
    wshifra (NJ) (interests: tomatoes, herbs, perennial flowers)
    hootiesmomma (KY) (interests: veggies, fruits, edibles)
    ozarkgirl (state unk) (interests: unk)
    LouisePace (Phila,PA) (interests: native plants/flowers, cat plants, herbs, grasses)

Zone 7:
    at2bells (state unknown, please post) (interests: anything; has a few wants on trade list)
    kidsandcats (state unk, please post) (interests: any houseplants)
    sweet_clementine (MD/DC) (interests: natives, shade/part sun, often wet/swampy, forested palustrine wetlands...& shade/sun cottage/butterfly/bird garden, has better drainage)
    palmcitrusbananavaz7 (7/8 So VA) (interests: daylillies, brugs, cannas)
    flux_capacitor (OK) (interests: small urban agriculture, sustainability, vegetables, grains, flowers, herbs, oddities)
    cry24 (7b NC) (interests: shade or sun perennials, any veggies or herbs, hardy tropical looking things)

Zone 8:
    deebie (8a SC) (interests: sun perennials, houseplants)
    heavensqt (TX) (intersts: toddler gardening, flowers, veggies)
    GrowingBeauty (Louisiana) (interests: veggies, fruits)

Zone 9:
    BotanicalPioneer (Mohave Desert, AZ) (interests: heirloom/OP herbs, veggies, edible flowers)

Zone 10:
    sadielynnmiller (southern cal.) (interests:Fruits, Veggies, herbs would be greatly appreciated)
    islandkitty (southernflorida) (interests: indoor/outdoor container herbs, medicinal plants,and edible fruits,veggies)

Adoptions in-process or completed:
    mikki 777 (zone 6) (rosemctier)
    lexiegurl (NC) (gardenerz)
    lieblingxdasxkraut (WI) (rosemctier)
    seedmoney adopting txnurse77, sweet_clementine, and cry24
    aqtrhorselover no zone noted adopted by sassybutterfly
    tlgraham zone 5 (nancyplants)- sasbe
    lovesherflowers (NE OH) (cryptid)
    chipper4444 (OH) (ymaddox)
    ozarkgirl zone6/7 (cryptid)
    bigkemt zone 5 (plant-one-on-me)
    melody777 zone 9 (grovespirit)
    zenlikeme zone 9b/10a Florida (grovespirit)
    piscesfish zone 6 OK (grovespirit)
    LEKennedy4 zone 10 (canyonwind)
    Astroknot zone 10a CA (piksi_hk)
    wispfox zone 6a Waltham, MA (celeegra)
    toybee zone 7 Central NC (naturegirl236)
    lat4005 zone 7b NC (naturegirl236)
    Jennifer9906 zone 8/9 Texas Coast (canyonwind)
    hrg126 zone 6 WV (beth_b_kodiak)
    Epilogue1212 zone 6 (flowergirl34)
    vv79 zone 7 VA (mavis07)
    harpspiel zone 6 (kms4me)
    PABoognish zone 6 PA (cryptid)
    drsanjose zone 9 So. Cal (socalgal)
    onethousandblooms zone 9 California (canyonwind)
    *** and 50 others!! ***

• lizgyrl
    12 years ago

I am a newbie that joined over the summer, but due to a drought I didn't post much (garden failed miserably)I am also in the process of gathering greenhouse materials, so anything that would grow in a green house would be great!! Looking for container growing, veggie seeds, and flowers for the OK area :D Thanks!!

• LynnCA
    12 years ago

I am in zone 9, I enjoy grow tomatoes and all kinds of pole beans.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lizgyrl please email me the person i was going to adopt has never gotten ahold of me so i would be happy to adopt you!!!

lynn ca i do not have enough tomatoes to adopt you per say but i do have some marglobe and rutgers tomato if interested wont adopt you that way someone else can but will send you some seeds.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

T ... h ... a ... n... k .......... Y ... o ... u Paula70

Received a teddy bear Santa card wishing me an absolutely wonderful Holiday season & prosperous New Year with a blue bubble wrap pouch of 3 packets of seeds: Rudbeckia hirta, blue cardinal flower, & red cardinal flower.

Even though extra postage was added to the envelope it came with .24 due for total of .88 probably because it was too thick with the bubble wrap bundle inside. For those that haven't sent yet, you can probably skip the double layer pouch of bubble wrap & just do a flap of bubble wrap to protect the seeds.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

OH, so sorry I posted on the wrong thread...too many things to finish today before work at after school day care where I get to play & craft with school-age kids.

I would like to be adopted & was going to wait to post after Christmas, but since I posted wrong here goes...

My zone is 7b in PNW - western WA over 500' elevation.
    -interested in perennials, annuals, & vegetables
    ~~named varieties true to seed because I admit obsession with correct labeling of plants and collecting a variety~~
    -new to seed saving & trading
    -planted for many years
    -recently become a gardener by my definition of designing gardens & tending plants instead of just planting...
    -winter sowed last year & want to do more

My location has a lot of moist shade especially fall - spring, spring is long cool & wet, summer is warmer & usually drought (July - Sept). Our garden tomatoes & peppers struggle, but everything else if protected from slugs & deer does okay, but takes longer to mature due to the shade. Since we live at a camp & conference center I update the entrance gardens there & those have more sun. I also plant things at our parents' summer home in WA with full sun, wind, & deer. We visit there all year, so get to enjoy the show as long as the deer don't devour them in our absence.

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

i haven't heard from either mikki or liebling yet :( of course, my email could have eaten their emails. if i don't hear in a few days, i'll try again lol

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

As per my post I have deleted those that may have been on the list for awhile and have not nor maybe never will return. If your name was removed and your still interested just post and I will readd you but we need to know you still are interested...thanks and merry christmas!

Current Newbies to be Adopted:

Zone 5:
    mashman- interests: heirloom veggies
    tlgraham- interests:veggies

Zone 6:
    lizgyrl- interests:veggie, flowers, and greenhouse seeds

Zone 7:
    corrine1- interests:perennials, annuals, & vegetables (true to seed varieties please)

Zone 8:

Zone 9:
    LynnCa- interests:tomatoes

Zone 10:

Adoptions in-process or completed:

lexiegurl (NC) (gardenerz)
    seedmoney adopting txnurse77, sweet_clementine, and cry24
    aqtrhorselover no zone noted adopted by sassybutterfly
    tlgraham zone 5 (nancyplants)- sasbe
    lovesherflowers (NE OH) (cryptid)

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

rosemctier if you do not hear from your adoptees within the next week just pick someone else if you would kindly...i removed them from the list, but hope they post again expressing a desire to be adopted...thanks!!!

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lyzgirl if you are still interested in being adopted please email me...thanks

• Peaceful_Warrior
    12 years ago

I'd like to be adopted. I am interested in growing my own organic, pesticide/herbicide-free non-GMO fruits & veggies in my back yard. I have successfully grown snow peas & cucumbers (which is a great succuss for me being new!)

My Zone is 7B - Atlanta, GA metro area. I am interested in Lettuce, Kale, Onions, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Cantalope, Watermelon, and many other fruits & veggies.

I am looking for open pollenated or heirloom seeds if possible. From my reading, these are much better than hybrid for my purposes, because I'd like to save my own seed & contribute to this community eventually once I get adequate experience.

I'm excited to get started early for next season!

• lizgyrl
    12 years ago

ymaddox I have sent you a message, hopefully it worked!

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

got it and i will hook you up. will you be winter sowing the seeds? is the easiest way i have found, thanks to gw and the winter sowing forum...if you have not checked it out, please do you will be happy you did!

• winnie13
    12 years ago

Can someone adopt me? :D
    I recently gave birth to a baby girl and missed this summers gardening time. would Love to have Lots of Perennials for next spring :D would love: Zinnias, daisies, foxglove, lupines, babybreath, white cleome,irises, daylily seeds, etc...
    Zone 7, Boston MASS

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

winnie13, sending you an email :)

• gagreenman
    12 years ago

Would love to be adopted, if you are still accepting applications. I'm in zone 8; like flowers, herbs, and vegetables.

Thanks,

Dave

• lizbest1
    12 years ago

Fledgling gardener in new area, someone please adopt me! We moved from Parker CO to Elizabeth CO--just a few miles away from each other but crazy different in what can grow (local nurseries have told me we're actually a zone 4B rather than the 5 that the zipcode suggests). Looking to make my landscape more bird and butterfly friendly while making it less attractive to deer, love agastaches, yarrows, beardtongue, etc. Have not tried it before but what to attempt winter sowing this year, too.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am sending this over to the seed exchange forum all adoptions should be requested through that forum...thank you. all of those that have already put their name here...please check there for any further adoption information...thanks again.

• gardenunusual2
    12 years ago

I would like to adopt tlgraham. Seed enabler here!

gardenunusual / gardenunusual2

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

this thread is now closed...go to seed exchange forum to sign up to be adopted or for those who want to adopt.

Here is a link that might be useful: seed exchange adoption thread

• sedrick1968
    12 years ago

i can use any seeds my flower bed got runied my mistake i could not get out and water them like i should i am disabled now and stay at home now i can water all i want. THANK YOU SEDRICK 1968.

• sdtcwarren
    12 years ago

I'm in south-west Illinois. I'm new to gardening so I really don't know plant varieties. I would like to mostly plant what we will eat or flowers that are supposed to keep bugs away from my vegetables. I would like to do beans, peas, bell peppers, onion (yellow and purple), green onions, squash, zucchini, strawberry, watermelon, lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, maybe corn (I don't know...), blueberries, cantaloupe, turnip/mustard greens, cabbage, celery, blackberries. I was blessed with 2 little boys that LOVE fruit and vegetables! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

• gypsymaiden
    12 years ago

Hi I am in Michigan zone 5 My interests are vegetables,squashes, fruits, berries, grapes (not melons please), Herbs of all sorts, edibles especially Basils,culantro, and roses of most any kind. Perennials, and annual flowers of any sort, I have both shade and sun. more sun than shade. I put up most of my food for my family so vegetables are wonderful, but so is everything else. Thank you so much!!

• beckers99
    12 years ago

Hello there! I'm Rebecca, and I'm in zone 6 in Oklahoma. I just bought a house this past summer, and am really excited to start a garden this spring! I'm interested in wildflowers (would LOVE some poppies), herbs (toothache plant?!), vegetables (anybody have kohlrabi, leeks, or asparagus), and succulents. Really, anything helps.. as well as advice on what and how to grow these plants in Oklahoma! I'm totally new to gardening, but hugely motivated!

Here is a link that might be useful: Exchange Page

• beckers99
    12 years ago

oops, I just saw that all requests must be posted in a new forum now. I will do that!

• Jmuldoon
    10 years ago

I would love to be adopted!! I recently moved to West Palm Beach with an acre and a half of land. I am wanting to teach my children how to garden and eat off the land. I am interested in herbs, vegetables just about anything edible. Please consider me for adoption.

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Is This project still going on? Is there a list of people waiting to be adopted?
    I see this thread is "Closed" and the next one has not been active since 2013.

• kilngod
    10 years ago

The Adopt-A-Newbie list

is back up and running on the Seed Exchange!

Link to the active thread is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Adopt-A-Newbie list

• baunlee
    9 years ago

I've been trying to get startup from this since I joined but it does not seem active, meanwhile paid five bucks for one bulb today esshh

• kilngod
    9 years ago

Not sure what you mean, baunlee. The link posted is active - and over the last 2 weeks a dozen newbies have been adopted there.

• beth_b_kodiak
    9 years ago

baunlee, you have no email showing and you did not click the link to the list on the seed swap list.doing either/both of these things may help
    did you post on here before? I don't see it.

• thewallawallaian89
    9 years ago

Id like to get in on this. Were just starting out, Im experienced with gardening but life happened and things are tight right now.

• shoestring
    9 years ago

I have been a member for a while but due to illness in our family we have lost most all of our seeds and our bulbs.
    .We need any seed or lilly bulbs of any types except the common orange daylily.=====We do not do veggies. God bless you for your time.

• kilngod
    9 years ago

***Newbies: Do not post here.***

Post at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt-A-Newbie list #2...go here to sign up.

This post was edited by kilngod on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 23:02

• graceann82
    9 years ago

Im a newbie! I'd love to get adopted! I live in Minnesota and zone 4! I would love a veggie garden!

• JessesGirl...
    9 years ago

Hello. I am trying to figure out how to get on the adopt-a-newbie list. We are collecting seeds to try to grow our first garden. Apology in advance if I posted this in the wrong area or on someone else's post or request. Thank you in advance for all your help.

• contessalouise
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if I posted on here before. I apologize if I did. (newbie problems) I'm interested in getting adopted. I'm interested in veggies and herbs. Thanks for doing this for all the newbies!

• kilngod
    9 years ago

Link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adopt-A-Newbie list #2...go here to sign up