Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthlydelights_gw

Our Bloomin Friends December Christmas Swap

earthlydelights
17 years ago

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

To become a member of this wonderful Bloomin Friends group, you need to have been a member in good standing of Gardenweb for at least six months and have had successful trade(s) with member(s) of this group.

oOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo

Bloomin Friends December/Christmas Swap

First, I want to take the time to tell you all what a pleasure it has been this year to be a part of such a wonderful group; strengthening the bonds with those I already know; developing new relationships, and my most favorite of all -- meeting one of you!!!! I am certainly putting on my wish list the opportunity to meet a few more of you in this coming year! It's a good feeling to be a part of one of the most generous and nicest groups of people and I look forward to another great year ahead of us. That being said, let's move on to our December Swap.

I'll make this a simple one rule swap ~~ that is there is no rule. No stipulation as to how many items or specific items to be sent, just send a box that speaks from your heart, conveys the meaning of the season and represents true Christmas spirit. We are all experienced, generous and giving traders, we all have each others' lists to go by and have been listening to each other chat as to likes and dislikes these past 7+ months. Choices are endless - ornament, homemade items, decorations, something specific your partner collects or just a bit of this and that. Wrap it up all pretty and send it on its way and DON'T FORGET A CARD!

Boxes should be sent out no later than the 18th since this is an extremely busy time of year for the post office and it is a good practice to use confirmation number. I'll take sign-ups until December 1st and then assign partners on the third. Let's make the last swap of 2006 as great as all the others have been so far.

Maryanne/Earthly
P.S. remember to post whether you are playing or not as it is easier to keep track.

Comments (121)

• dancingmoons
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

~~Just Popping my head in to say a quick "hello" to everyone! I have dinner cooking so cant stay, just catching up on whats going on in the group!! Everyone is so busy!!
    Seems like you all had a nice Thanksgiving holiday, we did too!
    ~~I will write more soon, I have done alittle shopping for this swap, just anxiously awaiting the "line-up" to see who i get. I am sooooooooo excited!!!
    Have a great evening!!
    Blue skies,
    Trish

• llbean
    17 years ago

Wahoo.. Finally got all the Holiday pick up done... Still painting though... I am just painting some walls in the house. When I moved in (my Dh already lived here) I moved from a 856sq foot house for one to a house with huge walls and lofty ceilings.. I am not very good at decorating large spaces. When I had small walls decorating was easy and inexpensive. But when you start looking at wall hangings for big walls you start talking bucks. The walls were all white and I told my Dh that I couldn't stand living in a sterile environment any longer. We work in one and I would not live in one..
    So,, Out came the paint..
    Midnight blue in the foyer.
    Orange in the dining room (he calls it Home Depot Orange)
    Brick red in the kitchen
    Coco brown in the living room.
    All one wall each (except the kitchen)
    one reason was because I wasn't climibing a 30 + foot ladder and the second because it would really close things in.
    I have even finally convinced him to get me carpet for Christmas. I know just what every girl dreams of...

Well, Happy Birthday to all the other Nov. Girls..
    Also Maryanne, I asked you where in Highland your sister lived because it can't be too far from me.

Hope everyone is doing great..
    Remy did you gt my email?

Laura

• faithinfrogs
    17 years ago

Thank you ladies by the way for the Birthday wishes and a special THANK YOU to Susie for the BIRTHDAY BOX she mailed out to me. Thank you all bunches. Have loads of fun swapping boxes and I'll check back to see all the goodies everyone got.
    Peace Char

• lunamoon
    17 years ago

I'm in for this month!

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

a big WELCOME to lunamoon, glad to have you in our december/christmas swap :)

just waiting to hear from jeanette, maureen and marsha so partners can be assigned

be well,
    maryanne

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Hi Kids! And since it is STILL NOVEMBER yes, I would like to be in this swap. Would miss my sisters too much over Christmas! XXXXOOOOOO
    Good to see everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. We just had our kids and my daughter's 'friend-boy' and it was very nice and restful. For me anyway, lol. On the menu was turkey, garlic/blue cheese mashed potatoes,sweet potatoes, roasted vegetables, huge portabello mushroom caps with fresh parmesan cheese, fresh asparagus sauteed with lemon and garlic, and pecan pie for dessert. Courtesy of the DH which was the best part. I do cleaning, table, and flowers. In my garden I was able scavenge a fairly large bouquet of zinnia, aclepsias tuberosa, cassia,roses,and cut some leyland cypress greens, the flowers were every variety of oranges and yellows you could imagine.

Happy Birthday Char! Hope you had a nice day. No worries about my box, it is still November, and I am the original slow poke myself.

Anne/Raggedy, I read the posts here even when I can't write, have been following your sister's ordeal and I am praying for you both. Take care of yourself too. (((((HUGS) ))))

Remy, honey I was sorry to read you lost your Lady-baby. 16 years is a long life for a pup must have been due to her fabulous mom ((((((((((HUGS)>>>>

Carol is flaunting her puppies! lol seriously they are so cute you will probably have people fighting for them...

Shirley, I had to laugh at the picture of the scale hiding from the lady....I have to go for my quarterly Rheumatologist appt. in 2 weeks and I am seriously wanting to avoid that scale! I swear the scales in the Dr. office always add 10/lbs.

Tina isn't great when the daughters get to that age when the cooking/tradition gets to be important to them? My daughter and I always made gingerbread men from scratch, this year she bought a wilton gingerbread house kit so we could do it together...to make sure we had time to do it since we lost track last year.

RE: scrapbooking....God Bless the people who can do that. Too sanitized for me. Years ago I started keeping all kinds of memorabilia in big plastic boxes. This year I organized them with the idea of o.k., now I am going to scrap book. As I started going through them I realized I like to hold the photo,(metro pass, foreign currency, kids artwork,) pass it around, rather then glue it in a "forever place". So I bought (lots!) of overly expensive yet classy boxes to keep them in so I can just pull them out as the mood/season permits and if the box is laying around people are more likely to go through it and its always a new conversation where as, to me, a structured photo album wouldnt see as much use. My view of Italy was different than my daughters was different from my sons etc. For example I have the Christmas pix out and will make a few vignettes with photos/stuff from that box for one of the Christmas trees... My categories are one All Christmas box, then by every 3 years, because that represents where we lived at that time.

Mellen, God Bless all teachers that do IEP's! I feel for you baby! My son's IEP is coming up shortly here, by the time his teacher gets everyone together and documentation, its a summit meeting. 8 people invited, we might get 3 but she's the only one that matters to me so its cool. And she has many other students she does this for. I remember how busy it is this time of year for teachers what with the paperwork due and the students ready for break(teachers too right?)

We have not been up to much here, I started my "ring bell" volunteering for Sal. Army in front of my favorite Wal Mart. This is my small thing I am able to do every year since I am fortunate that I am able to stay home. (Then after 4 hours I come home get my celebrex and put my feet up and fall asleep with 2 cats on me and Otis by my feet and we all snore till the family comes home and laughs at us....lol) I love to people watch, and I love the little ones that come to put their coins in they are so sweet and look so proud. I have elementary age kids that take their own money and tell me "oh good your here, I do this every year I was looking for you..." the teens in their "tall tees" who come strolling up looking all cool then give me bills. Then their is the little man who gives me peppermints every year---he is so cute, the man who gives me a bible tracts all the time, but no money but looks like he has alot of money,(giving bible tracts to sal army people seems kind of redundant although I am Catholic but how does he know that....) and all the people who look like they have no money and give me dollars, sometimes I feel like they need it more, but of course I just say thank you. This volunteering has been good for me, taught me to try and not be judgemental of people on appearances.
    And then sometimes there is the Toys for Tots marines who come and stand by me and tell me about their moms and homes and we commiserate about the military being as I am a Navy wife, they are maybe 19 years old, I like to converse with them and look through the toys 'cause I am nosy. ;P One thing new the marines are doing this year is collecting gift cards from Best Buy for the teens who usually get left out at Christmas time, I thought that was a good idea.
    Ciao Y'all

'We cannot all do great things, but we can all do small things with great love.'----Mother Theresa

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

susan, welcome.

i think i already had you signed up. i could just be so confused (again) with all the sue's that are members of this group. so now, all the sue's are participating.

as it stands, we are still waiting on maureen, marsha and jeanette.

remy...i was in a store today and heard a woman call to her shopping companion "remy". i had to go look! it wasn't you

be well,
    maryanne

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Maryanne,
    Lol! No I'm still here in Tonawanda. There are a few of us around, lol. You reminded me of the cute little girl at work that I saw one day. I was working on a display when I hear a lady say,"Go on, tell her." I turn and there is this little girl there smiling at me. I think she is just shy and her mother told her to ask for something. Then all the sudden she blurts out, "I have the same name!" She had never met another Remy, lol. Of course I didn't meet one until I was an adult. She was named after her mother's friend from college. The little girl and I had a nice conversation and I gave her a quick history lesson about the name, St. Remy etc.

Laura,
    I didn't get your email. I sent you one. Try sending me one back. I wonder if you went to my spam and I deleted you.
    Carpeting is a good gift! Gary as been trying to win me an antique side table on ebay, lol. He isn't having any luck. Oh it is to get rid of the tv tray that the lamp in the living room is on! There is a nice one at the local auction on Monday, so he told me to go win it.

Klickitat,
    I sent you an email too. Let me know if you got it.

All the sudden I've been having email problems: (

Shirley,
    I don't think a scale would be afraid of you! but the cartoon is funny.

Susan,
    That's great that you volunteer like that. You really can't judge people by how they look! I've done many a fund raiser and you're right, the way people look is no indication of the money they will donate.

Have a goodnight everyone!
    Remy

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Anne prayers are with your sister, keep a positive attitude it helps. Shirley congrats on your curves, shirleys got curves Mellen give hug to dh tina give extra swat to dh Earthly Jeanette says she will be sitting out this month, susie wants a newbie. Here is a pic of my lovely gardens{{gwi:1311163}}hugs

• lunamoon
    17 years ago

Check out the snow! It has been unseasonably warm here this fall. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the upper 60's. Neener neener.....

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i am kind of looking forward to snow to see how the dogs will react in it. not looking to shovel or anything, although i did get myself a new "red baron" hat. my other one got misplaced by someone that never respected my property from his and then took care of nothing. we are having just gorgeous weather. news stated that the weekend it will change though, for the worse.

susan, i admire your volunteerism; however, i am anti-SA. (talk about holding a grudge) i had always put money in the bucket and the first year i was married, when a friend and i were coming out of the gallery, i slipped whatever (can't recall) into the bucket. my wedding ring came off. i noticed it immediately. asked the guy to open it. he said he wasn't allowed. cops a few feet away, asked them to come over and witness his opening, etc. so i could get my ring back. bell ringer still said no, he wasn't allowed. my friend went off to call SA for them to come and no one would. said they had to wait for this guy to be picked up at the end of this shift (or something to that effect) - keep in mind this is a work day and i'm out for lunch long past the given time. police write a report, we exchange all the information, SA supposed to call me that day when they open the bucket so i could get my ring. no call from them, many calls from me, no one knew anything about my ring or would return it. gorgeous ring too - crappy husband, but always purchased great jewelry. i'll give anywhere, to anyone, but never again have i given to SA.

so remy, are you calling me cute too? :)

i got an email from carol that jeanette is sitting out this month. so we are waiting on maureen and marsha. since we haven't seen marsha around since the summer, i might just assume she's not playing anymore. i remember maureen saying she was leaving and then deciding to stay, but haven't seen her in a while either. in any event, i'll still assign partners as of the 3rd.

be well,
    maryanne

• cedarnest
    17 years ago

Oh Maryanne,I think an ordeal like you went thru with the SA and your ring would have soured me on them too.Thats terrible : (

Lunamoon,Man you have really been having great weather! Cold here now!! grrrrrr

Carol,What a beautiful snowfall.We are still waiting for our first.The COLD has gotten here 10 degrees roght now so the snow won't be too long a wait.

Happy Belated Birthday Char! Hope it was a nice one!!

Shirley,I had that cartoon on my fridge for a long time.Everyone that saw it just busted! Too Funny!

Laura,I would Love if my Greg gave me carpeting.Mine is still old 50's shag in the livingroom.Hey I guess its coming back in style so maybe I can wait a few years yet! LOL

Remy,Hope Gary wins the side table for you on Ebay.They are soo cool!

Mary Ellen,That was so sweet what you said about everyone.My sentiment exactly.I get such a warm feeling when I think of all the great gals on here.Would love nothing more than to meet you all someday : )
    Take good care of your hubby.Hope he is on the mend!

I always feel I am forgetting someone.Don't mean to leave anyone out.Think of you all often but when I get on here my mind sometimes goes Blank : (

Oh I am soo excited to see who Maryanne lets me play Santa to!!
    Take Care All!!
    Nancy

• grovespirit
    17 years ago

Hi all, been reading the chat since I'm a very lonely gardener in need of something interresting to do this evening. Is it too late for me to join this Dec swap and fill in for someone who has bowed out?

Sorry if I am intruding with this post. I just REALLY need to feel like I belong somewhere. I'm the oddball of my community, a "liberal" Navy wife with no current desire for kids on a base full of conservative families with babies! So people tend to avoid me since they believe we lack common ground to chat about. And maybe it's true. Hopefully I have more in common with you all! :D

My Thanksgiving was enjoyable for the day of the feast. We partook of a dinner offered by a local church. It was a Godsend to be able to do so, since food is very costly here in Hawaii and we are a family of 2 people. The smallest turkey I could've bought would have been 17 lbs.

That's just insane for two, unless you both LOVE turkey. I used to, but these days I don't care for it much since it contains tryptophan which makes me sleepy, and I'm already drowsy due to medication side effects. Turkey can konk me out!

So I partook sparingly of the Church bird, and enjoyed the heck out of the 5 grains of corn (a Thanksgiving traditional opening course), homemade pumpkin pie, grape tomatoes, baby carrots, dill dip, home-raised yeast rolls smeared with artichoke-cheese mousse, cranberry sauce (from a can but still great), cornbread dressing, gravy, slightly overcooked ham, and baked mac n cheese. Yep, eaten in that order! :)

The next day I had food poisoning and so did DH. :( Some of the potluck meal must have been improperly cooked or improperly stored. Well, it was still great having been able to share the community meal though! Did I mention that I'm very lonely? Being there with those folks helped me feel better for a bit.

The puppies Patches and Chub Chub are adorable!! I have a furbaby too (4 yr old terrier/shepherd mix). I lost a 3 yr old poodle suddenly just before I joined GW years back; I needed to expand my hobby to help myself cope with the loss.

I would also go to Curves to work out if I could afford it! But I am an unemployed Navy wife and he's enlisted, so I have to make do with the (ugh) ordinary gym they have here on base. I feel self conscious around all those built men and buff women, so I usually avoid the gym and go swim or walk instead. At Curves, I wouldn't worry about how I look.

I have issues with Salv. Army too. I donated all I could to them every year, even when money was very tight. Then one year I became homeless and got referred to their shelter. Well, I have a form of epilepsy that causes atypical behaviour when I seize (it's partial seizures). I also have post traumatic stress disorder.

Between the symptoms of these 2 ailments, I was "behaving oddly" but harmlessly. (I was walking around the shelter's gardens and the wildflower field nearby; whenever my brain acts up, flowers calm me). I finally came out of my seizures around dusk. Since I failed to collect 5 contacts on a job search form that day, they kicked me out of the shelter.

They claim to help homeless people. Well, apparently not the ones who are sick and really need the help! I was not at risk of harming me or another, so a mental hospital was NOT an option for me. SA knew that, and they STILL threw me out on the street. If they had wanted to help, they would at least have helped me get medical care for the epilepsy.

I am medicated and housed now, and much better than I was then. I thank the Creator every day that when I got kicked out of SA, a noble and nerdy bookstore clerk took me in and let me sleep on his couch in trade for cooking and cleaning! I was there for 3 months, until I had gotten regular Chinese herbal medicine for the epilepsy and a warehouse job that tolerated my occasional seizures.

If I am allowed to be in the swap, I'd love any of the seeds on my want list and/or Peat pots for starting seeds that dislike transplanting.

Or a garden gnome or a fairy! Especially love those little fairies on metal stakes that have mobile wings. They don't sell any here :(

Or a gift card to Lowe's (which has the best value on containers and the best potting soil for sale in my area):
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productList&category=Gift%20Cards&Ne=11000&N=0+1000994

Or check my want list for a few more ideas. :)

I already have 3 nearly unused sets of garden gloves (I don't like to use them) and 4 dusty, blank garden journals (I don't use them; my journaling is done on my computer). Prefer a gift that has no scent (I'm allergic to nearly all commercial perfumes and fragrances).

Hope I am not butting in somewhere I don't belong (story of my life so far)- Thanks for listening!

• grannymarsh
    17 years ago

Sorry, I'll be sitting this one out. Too much to do. BTW, I've only been out one month. Played in October...

• skohler
    17 years ago

GM My BF"S :)))
    Sorry for the long delay in responding to you all but I have had many things to take care of but I do read the forum every evening :)) & some times in the morning :

grovespirit :You will Have contact veeja11 for the info sheet this is however a yearly /monthly robin .

Maureen is sitting out this month from the emails I received & from the post here is all the players who will or will not be playing this month Hope this helps you earthly so now you can pick who sends to who.
    we can now get the xmas swap going :))
    OH I forgot AMYBABYBOY Her emails still being returned
    so she may be haven computer problem "s & might not be able to get in contact yet so she might still want to join latter & we can keep that option open for her ok .
    IF I have forgotten anyone or have you marked wrong please let earthly know .

OUR BLOOMIN FRIENDS XMAS SWAP
    HOSTED BY: EARTHLY DELIGHT DEC 2006

EARTHLY DELIGHT
    REMY
    VEEJA11
    HUMMINGBIRDDAISY
    DEBBYA
    THERESA24
    MELLEN
    RAGGEDYANN
    MICKE --------SITTING OUT
    DIZZYDAFFODIL
    KLICKITAT
    SGUANZON
    BRITTENYGRAN
    LIL_GREEN_THUMB
    CEDARNEST
    SKOHLER
    DANCINGMOONS
    SANDLAPPER_ROSE -----SITTING OUT
    NYVOICES99
    SASSYD
    FAITHNFROGS---SITTING OUT
    BETH_B_KODIAK--SITTING OUT
    TASTEFULLYJULIE-- SITTING OUT
    PATTY2257
    LLBEAN
    LUNAMOON
    GIVERNY4ME
    GRANNYMARSH- SITTING OUT
    NUMBER_1_ANGEL--SITTING OUT
    IRISH_ROSE_GROWER--- SITTING OUT
    AMYBABYBOY/AMY ????

NOW I Have been ask to Remind This Group Of A Feel
    Guidelines of the group .
    Being that we are all friends we still Have to let
    the group Know .

#1 when a box has been mailed :so the gal receiving
    can be on the lookout for it . & the box dose not sit out in the weather for 2-3 days before finding it .:(
    Please If your going to be gone for a few days
    can you post here so that your parner will not
    send the box while you are gone .
    or be sure to have your mail carrier keep the box
    till your return .

#2. PLEASE :Take 2-3 MIN"S TO
    Let the group know your box has arrived
    & what you received in the BOX.

#3. If There is a problem with the box PLEASE Contact
    CAROL :)) or Myself or the Hostess May also be able
    to help .

As I Said if I have forgotten anyone or your not going to be playing please let earthly Know this or post it here .

also I would just like to say that although we may not be able to send plants ,There are many types of Bulbs out there to help beautyfy :)) our gardens every state has many type so look to see what might grow in someone else state & keep in mine that it might be perinnial there its annual in the north but many of us have container gardens :)) & would love like a tropical
    out door bulbs :))) that we can start in the house this winter .

we all love baked goods , cookies, fudges, ect ect ,
    just pack so that hopefully they won't be crumbs :(

oh & Klick I have my fruit cake ready for January
    MOM's favoret it will be ready by then .:))

well ladies this long winded old lady is ready to go
    for the day have a great one will try to check back in when I get home .

susie

let the BELLS RING :))

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Grovespirit-Hello, enjoyed reading your post. So sorry to hear about your bad experience with the SA. I guess they just did not understand. I work with a guy who has epilepsy and he will just go off to sleep sitting at his desk. Says the medication does it to him. We all try to cover for him when the BIG bosses come through our office. You never know how they would take someone sleeping while on their clock. I do love working out at curves and it's true you don't have to care what you look like there. Everyone looks much the same and just trying to improve some. My son was stationed in Hawaii when in the Marine Corps. We went to visit one year and loved it. I guess I enjoyed the Polynesian Culture Center the best. It was wonderful.

Susan-My hat is off to you for doing all the volunteer work that you do. WHEN I retire I want to do volunteer work also. If my DH retires I will probably have to work forever, I don't think we can live with each other being together 24-7's. I do better having time AWAY from my other half. I agree about the scales in the doctors office. I think those nurses just want us to weigh more. LOL

Carol-Snow already? Don't really care for snow but LOVE looking at snow pictures. Does that make sense?

Maryanne-What are you going to get that precious Bubba for Christmas? Hope it's something extra special. On the other hand if I retire I could borrow Bubba to live with.
    I guess I would still be bugging SA for my ring. I hate those kind of things, they just eat at me night and day.

I'm doing a complete re-decorating theme in my living room when Christmas is over. My DD said she would help me paint so I told her I am selling everything in there and buying new furniture and accesories. She painted her bedroom and then did something over the paint with a glaze, I think it's called 'ragging on'. It is just beautiful and looks like a professional did it.

Nancy-I'm ready for my name too.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day.

Shirley

• raggedyann161420
    17 years ago

Hello all,

I have one more night to work then I am off till Monday night at 11p.m. work 12 hrs then off till Friday night.

We have good news. Sis does not have cancer, she does have sarcoidosis. She will be treated with predizone that might play havic with her diabetes so she will have to check her sugar 4xdaily. Our family feels so lucky and blessed.

If I've missed a bithday, I'm sorry, so Happy Birthday to all this month.

I didn't trade all summer so I'm looking forward to the Christmas exchange! :O) :O)

Going to get some sleep, they are predicting 6-10 inches of the white stuff, and although I do like snow I hate driving in it. I know there is a ditch somewhere with my name on it.LOL

I think volunteering is so rewarding, and I do when I can.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Annie,
    What GOOD news! I'm so happy for your Sister!

Deb

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

test

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh annie, how very exciting for your sister and the entire family. continued prayers and good thoughts sent your way.

i'm starting a new thread as i have assigned partners.
    looking forward to this swap. can't believe we are almost at the end of yet another year!

maryanne

• klickitat
    17 years ago

Nice to hear good news, Annie!

Sue, you have a fruitcake already?!? Yay!

So when do we hear about our swap partner??? *grin*

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    Ok, you may think I'm crazy(if not already, lol), but I've fallen in love! No not with Gary; ) But Gary had us go to the SPCA and I brought Sammie(Samantha) home. Sammie is absolutely adorable. She is a greyhound and yellow lab mix. She is smaller than you would think. She has a small greyhound body and the face of a lab. I'll take pics soon. She is too skinny! They had to feed her before she could go up for adoption. I don't know how somebody could not feed her. And she is a bit afraid of Gary. I think she got hit: (
    She is being very good so far.

Annie,
    Great News!

Carol,
    I can't believe you got snow!

Maryanne,
    Lol! you are adorable too!

Klickitat,
    Do we win something special if we have the worst gift of all the fruiticake gifts? Because I think I have a winner, lol.

Nancy,
    Gary gave up on ebay! He told me to go win my own table at the local antique auction. They put out the flier with a pic of one and mention of a couple others. He doesn't have the patience to sit through it all, lol.

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

remy. good for you. all the best to you, gary and sammie. looking forward to seeing pics. how wonderful to get a rescue dog. i can't remember your other guy's name, but are they adjusting to each other? when i lost hazel, i waited a bit to get a dog. the house was so weird without one. now i have two. if tina has her way, i'll have three more LOLOLOLOLOLOL

i'll check back for pictures because i just can't picture the combination.

maryanne

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Maryanne, I don't blame you about the SA either! I would be jumping on their head /jk That would definitely sour me. However they did an outstanding job feeding EVERYONE here during the hurricanes rich, poor and in between. No power for a couple of months makes for alot of brotherly love! They were out before the Red Cross and stayed the course, several months in some neighborhoods, and if the kids are'nt in summer school, they miss that meal,so the trucks went 'round passing out bag lunches. I helped with that and saw how money was spent. Also, they spend the money as it comes in on the clients. The money raised in P'cola stays here. Also I can sign up on line to volunteer, the stand is at the location, at the end of my shift I drop the bucket with the store manager and they (SA) pick it up from them. So it can be tailored to whatever day..., time of day, close to home, don't have to wait on anyone, etc.

Maryanne--what the heck is a red baron hat???? Is Bubba participating in the Christmas swap? What is his wish list...

Grovespirit, sorry about your experiences with SA. They are just not equipped to handle anything more than basic needs. Half the employees at our shelter are former homeless. The point is they won't turn anyone away from the table. RE: "Navy wife what a life!" It is a misconception that the military is full of conservative people. In my experience (23 years)I met equal amounts of lib/mod/conservatives. You just don't talk politics. Which was kind of nice. Some of my best friends I've made in life I still have are military wives, conservative (opposite of me, I think I am mod at present) had kids, didnt have kids, whatever. You can't hold that against them especially if you live on base! The saying goes it takes the first year of an overseas tour to get used to being there, the second year you begin to enjoy it, the third year you don't want to leave...(Hawaii is considered overseas tour for anyone reading this) Even if you don't get picked up from this exchange feel free to email me if you want to talk. ;)

Shirley selling the furniture and remodeling sounds like a great idea! I want the people from that HGTV show that come in and collect up your stuff and sell it at auction to come to my house. I never know what to charge for stuff. I would rather do the painting part. Love that.

Annie, I am glad you have a definitive diagnosis, at least there is a plan that can be implemented, thats great. Was your sister exposed to something to get the sarcoidosis? Is that considered autoimmune or scarring? Be safe driving in all that snow...

Remy, thats so sweet your husband took you to SPCA! Welcome Sammie. And I went to the auction link and now I want to come and bid on some stuff! You should have a good time there and don't forget to report back on what you "score"!

• nyvoices99
    17 years ago

Hi all, Wow you all have been chatty:)
    stopped by to see what was up for the swap, will go find Maryanne's post,

Happy Belated Birthday Char

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Okay, since we have been speaking of puppies, I wanted to ask some of you Michigan folks if you know of any that will be ready for adoption at Christmas. We are going up to visit my parents for Christmas (Linden..nearest larger city is Flint I guess) and we want to give my 5-yr-old his first puppy. It is the only thing he is asking for. He wants one that will fetch so immediately I think of a Golden Retriever but we would be just as happy with a lab and a mixed breed with some retriever in it would be just fine too. Doesn't necessarily need to be in the Flint area. I grew up in the Detroit area, and went to college in East Lansing so I am familiar enough with a lot of areas to travel to pick up the purrr-fect new fur-baby.
    Thanks for your help.
    Theresa

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

theresa, my suggestion would be to go onto petfinder(dot com) and look at the breeds/ages, etc. you can then call them and make arrangements. there are also member boards where people post and you can limit it all to the geographical area you are looking to adopt from. also, tina should meet you somewhere and give you one of hers. she has 6 of them and that will solve a problem. there are just so many unwanteds out there and they all deserve a chance.

what a great gift.

the new thread is posted...go see who your partner will be

maryanne

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Now that MAryanne has adopted 3 of my lovelies, I am down to 4 males. They are absolutely gorgeous. Theresa, we could make arrangements I'm sure to meet somewhere and get you a puppy. They are chocolate lab astailian shepard mix and are so sweet. If you look on the Hort. anon pic thread, you can see pics of them all. I would love for you to have one.

Remy - Comgratulations on Sammie!!!

Annie - God is good isn't he. Now your sister can concentrate on getting better. Is there a specific treatment for her?

To everyone else - Happy December!!!! :-)

Hugs to all -
    Tina

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Earthly what ya gonna do with 5 dogs? becomming a kennel?
    Tina, hope mamma is getting spayed. snow is melting and it is raining again, I got nice gifts from dizzy daffy, along with postage money. people are sending real nice gifts I wanna keep them all, If we don't need them in a year they could be a care pkg for carol, just a thought, bad one I guess. my dog is in a swap on the other site she is hoping for a bully stick, I wanna watch dh watch her eat it, I think he might cry. sun is out gotta go check for casualites
    hugs

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

tina, hmmm, 3 dogs my azz. did i say that? am i really that nuts? i said interested in females...not all the females, or did i?

carol, what's a bully stick? also, is grove joining us? let me know, i think she'd make a real welcome addition if she is interested in a yearly thing.

maryanne

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Maryanne,
    5 dogs! Three puppies at one time... We aren't going to hear from you for months! You'll be sooooo busy! ;)

Shirley,
    Is there anything special you collect or want for Christmas?

Deb

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Tina..Oh My! They ARE adorable. I want them! But I have put my mom in charge of finding him or her as we will not have that much time up there. And I know she will not be able to drive that far. Sigh....that would have been perfect! I know they will find good homes quickly as cute as they are.
    Theresa

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

LoL - You DID say three in the above post did you earthly???!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm hee hee

It actually isn't that hard taking care of these guys. They pretty much take care of themselves. Sometimes I think they are too samrt for their own good. They may be like this however, because they haven't ever been away from us, and always have someone spending time with them.
    I am just so happy that they are going in groups so far. If I could find someone who would love them like I know Maryanne will, who would take two at a time, that would be great. If I had more room, I'd just keep'em, LoL. DH would KILL me :-)

Duchess will go in after the new year sometime to get fixed.
    I think I want to breed Sissy once before we get her fixed. One of Dh's friends has an adorable jack russel with great markings and we are talking about next fall, breeding them.
    Carol - Do jacks tend to have big litters?

Yep, just one dog and one cat left to fix, and then of course Sissy once she has a litter. Whew! LoL

I will post a pic of our newest addition to the family shortly. He is so cute. He thinks he needs to be with me every second of the night. SO now I have Sissy sleeping on my feet, Clarence (the new baby) sleeping on my pillow and Domino (our black cat with two white dots) sleeping on my stomach or back. Hey, who needs an electric blanket around here! :-)

Theresa - Maybe we could work out something to meet your mom. We are meeting earthly half way and we wuoldn't be that far from Detroit at one point. Maybe all three of us could make a plan.?.?.?
    Just something to think about.

Remy - You do NOT have a big butt. I, on the other hand, well, lets not go there, LoL.

Tina

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Tina, I have a high butt to waist ratio, much higher than normal, lol!

I figure it would be better to post pics on this thread because it is done instead of slowing down the new one.
    Here's a couple of pics of Sammie. She has light brown eyes, but of course the flash messed that up.

This one you can really see her ribs. We'll fatten her up soon enough: )

Remy

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Oh Remy - She is so gorgeous! Look at that beautiful face!
    In no time, you'll have her all fattened up. She has a wonderful home now, and you can tell she knows that by the look in her eyes. She looks very content.
    Bless both your hearts.

About big butts, LoL, I had made the statement one time that my butt was crawling up my back, and one of my friends said "and what does your shoulders think about that", ha!
    As long as they don't start crawling down to meet it, we're all good :-)

Have a wonderful night!
    Tina

• klickitat
    17 years ago

What a gorgeous pup, Remy! She's a lucky girl to have you as her mom. :)

• giverny4me
    17 years ago

Remy, I love Sammie's smile!

Tina, I am going to have to borrow that butt comment, its hilarious, between gravity and menopause butts give up I think...

• dizzydaffodil
    17 years ago

Remy, I love your new fur-baby! She is GORGEOUS!

DH lets me know when I am carrying my butt on my shoulders. He says it happens quite a lot more than it used to.... Now what the heck did he mean by that?!?!

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Tina, let me know when and where you'all are meeting. I will see if my mom can make it. Wouldn't that be great if it worked out!!

Remy...He is beautiful!

Theresa

• brittneysgran
    17 years ago

Deb-Oh My goodness the things I collect are quite costly but I do love collecting them. I collect the Greatest Stories Ever Told figurines from Home Interiors and Precious Moment Figurines. I have found a few pieces at yard sales but not many. Anita did find some Precious Moments on Ebay when she had my name. Other than those two collectibles I do love decorating with the snowmen at Christmas time. My Christmas tree is done in Victorian ornaments and DH's is done in Bears, Elk and Moose. The Northwoods stuff. Anything will be great....Christmas time is such a great time of year.

Earthly I am working on your box and having tons of fun with it. I don't recall ever sending to you in a swap.

Putting up my tree today. Hope to get done before going to a Ladies Ministry Christmas Supper.

Remy-Sammie is a beautiful dog.

Tina-Dobermans are my favorite dog and Jack Russells are my second favorite. I bet those puppies will be darling.

Shirley

• skohler
    17 years ago

Remy : Sammy is so cute & She loooks as she will adopt you & hubby very quickly with tender care :))) .

Ok Tina Talked Me right into it just let me know when you gals are going to all meet up & I would love to adopt
    one of your babies also :))) .
    Most of all look forward to meeting gardening friends :0
    love the idea :))
    thresea when you going to be here in michigan ??
    flint is about 1 hr away from me anyone want a birdie :))
    they are albino's :)) will try to get new pictures tomorrow of them .

I love female #2 & male #'s 3 &5 :)) No I can't have all 3 but would take 2 :))) :))

just let me know time & place I can be there :)))

well been a long 2 days going to lay back have a great evening to all .
    susie

• earthlydelights
    Original Author
    17 years ago

shaking my head, scratching my chin, wondering if tina realizes that she is absolutely crazy. we talked about which ones were females, not that i wanted every female, i just don't want a male dog again. bad experience with them. i really have to go back and check my memory for when i said i wanted all three. i'm a little off, but not completely bonkers. put the booze down girlie. lol who would ever babysit for me with 5 dogs? i'd never be able to leave the house. maybe two, but then who knows. looks like you are going to be able to place more of them.

i'm in the middle of rearranging my entire house. i must be nuts.

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Well, if there is a female left then I would be more interested in the female. My male shepherd, even after being fixed, pees on EVERYTHING!! My plants, our cars, even the neigbor's leg!! I love hime but that's the only reason I don't want another male.

Susie, I don't know the dates yet that I will be there but definitely at least for Christmas weekend. I just talked to my mom who said she can't do much driving to go get a dog but if you do happen to go meet up with Tina and Maryanne, maybe you could pick up one for me and I could pick it up from you in Michigan? I know that's alot to ask...but it's a thought. If it's too much trouble, I TOTALLY and COMPLETELY understand!
    Where are you in Michigan again? My parents live in Linden.

Theresa

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Female #3 would be my first choice...the one with the "boots".
    Theresa

• skohler
    17 years ago

well thresea I"m just a Hop & maybe a skip from there witch is about 1hr15mins away so we could meet at maybe at the cross roads of I27 &I96 at lansing about 30-45 mins drive for each of us &great place to meet at the diner next to the mall :))

not sure where tina & mary will be meeting have to find that out . if that dose not work out I have a very tame bird that needs a good home :)))

as soon as I know then will get back with you .
    have a great evening everyone
    susie

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    17 years ago

Susie, I went to Michigan State so lived in East Lansing 4 years....I would love to meet there so I can stop in and stock up on my alumni gear which is all but unavailable here in Florida! I think I still have friends in the area I should visit. I don't want you to have to hold onto and care for the puppy for too long though. If they are meeting very soon I would not ask that of you. Just lmk what plan they come up with.
    Theresa

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Hopefully everyone has received their e-mails from me! I have heard back from Susie and Theresa, but no Maryanne. Did you get lost in rearranging your house? Can you find your way out, LoL!!!! I know all about that :-)

Susie - I don't mind if the bird is a male. I'll take one!
    2 if you have them. Any grey ones left?
    I can bring a cage.

I want to thank you all for giving the pups a loving home. They are so precious. Now I will not have to worry about them. Bless your hearts.
    I/we look forward to meeting you gals!

Well, I have felt yucky for 2 days so I think I am going to lay down.

Good night,
    Tina

• micke
    17 years ago

Gizmo

• micke
    17 years ago

if you click on the pics it makes them bigger, haven't figured out how to size yet!
    michelle

• skohler
    17 years ago

thresea Not a problem :

Tina Just the one albino right now needs a home the others are spoken for since last night :))
    so bring that cage .

Now I have to change a few things here for my new babies.
    have a great day to all .
    susie