Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cybermeowz

It's Time for the ORANGE Seed Swap!!!

cybermeowz
14 years ago

Let me introduce Little Dude. He was a stray but is now the newest member of our family. Isn't he cute? He will be my co-host for the ORANGE seed swap!

This is the November color swap, featuring the color ORANGE!

It seems as though the Color of the Month Seed Swaps that we had going for most of the year have sort of fallen apart. I believe both the white and pink seeds swaps didn't happen. (If I missed them, please let me know.) But I am going to try to revive them!!!! The color I signed up for was ORANGE and there are certainly a lot of ORANGE seeds, both veggies and flowers. Beyond pumpkins and carrots, for veggies there are tons of tasty ORANGE squashes, melons, watermelons, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and dried beans. There are even some ORANGE cauliflowers (Cheddar), greens (Orange Chard), and cucumbers (Hmong Red)! I am sure there are a lot of other ORANGE edibles that I'm not remembering or have never heard of. There are also an enormous number of ORANGE flowers and ornamentals. Just a few off the top of my head . . . Sunflowers, poppies, calendulas, coleus, Chinese lanterns, gazanias, nasturtiums, celosias and of course marigolds and zinnias. The list could go on and on. Feel free to post ORANGE seed ideas in the comments.

Hopefully, we can revive these color themed swaps. Here is the original schedule as posted in the original purple seed swap thread:

April : Dan : Blue

May : Christy : Black

June: Bonnie : Yellow

July : Tammy : Red

August : Linda : Rainbow

September : Kamil : White

October : Nichol : Pink

November : Penny : Orange

December : Carrie : Chocolate

January : Wendy : Green

After this swap, there is the Chocolate and Green seed swaps. Does anyone know Carrie or Wendy and if they are still active on GardenWeb? Maybe Carrie and Wendy will post in the comments so we know if they are still interested in hosting these swaps. Also, if someone would like to host either the white or pink swaps that were missed (if I am mistaken about this, please let me know), let us know in the comments.

Okay on to the rules for the ORANGE seed swap:

You may include seeds that contain anything ORANGE, whether it is a flower, foliage, fruit, vegetable, herb, or whatever is related to ORANGE or simply just has the word 'ORANGE' in its name!

You may send edible and non-edible seeds.

(Please specify what you would like back: edible, non-edibles, or a mix of both)

I will do my best to fill your request, but it all depends on what is sent in!

Absolutely NO Invasive Plants or Noxious Weeds!!!!

Please send seeds no older than 2 years old.

Please include on the packet label: the seed's name, a little blurb about it, and whether your seeds are from a commercial source or hand-collected.

The limit for all of the color swaps has been 10 packs so far. But please feel free to send in extras.

I will try to send back extras to the people who sent in extras to be fair.

You can send in as little as 1 pack of seeds, there is no minimum to send in.

Please send in the number of seeds that you would be comfortable recieving yourself depending on the variety. There should be a minimum of 10 seeds per pack.

Please send only 1 pack per variety. Again, you may send more than one pack of a certain variety, but please know that they will be counted as 'extras'. So each variety will be counted as one trade.

Signup Deadline: December 4th

Seeds Need to Arrive by: December 16th

Mailed back by: December 19th (Hopefully! I will try to get these out before Christmas.)

After you sign up in the comments,

please send me an e-mail with your

name,

address,

GardenWeb name, and

e-mail address.

And I will reply back to you with my mailing address.

REMEMBER to use a bubble envelope (which will be used to mail back your new seeds) and include the following along with your seeds:

1. Mailing label with your address on it

2. Stamps equal to what you used to mail plus one extra in case an extra stamp is needed (if the extra stamp is not needed, I will put it in your return envelope)

3. Paper with your GardenWeb name, e-mail address and a list of what you sent in (so you don't get those seeds back)

Any questions, feel free to ask!

Your Hostess and Host,

Penny (aka cybermeowz) and Little Dude :)

Here is a link that might be useful: For Reference: The Original Purple Seed Swap Thread

Comments (147)

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Grovespirit-ditto what Penny said!! This is the De-stress forum, well at least for me!
    If the snails are real bothersome, I have a good recipe for escargot...hehehe

My seeds did not get to the post office today, had hoped to do it tomorrow before work but must take the cat to the vet-he has an abscess that won't clear up by its self so he needs to be knocked out, poor kitty!
    -B

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Packing up seeds today. Not sure I can get to the PO today (way too much to do, not enough time, and no car.) but I will definitely get the bubblie ready to ship today!!

Good news on the home front: My husband listened to me yesterday as I vented about all the pressure I've been under. He apologized for allowing his work related stress to roll downhill onto me. He agreed that given everything I am trying to do, he shouldn't expect elaborate dinners for the next few weeks. (He's not been home to eat them half the time anyway, due to increasingly getting held overtime). Whew, one less iron in the fire!! :)

Happy gardening news: I found some more Caesalpinia pulcherrima seedpods yesterday. So I will be sending those lovelies in, after all! But they still aren't quite my favorite seed.

Back to the 'Guess Grovespirit's Favorite Orange Seed' game.
    Hint number 1- Not a vining plant.

Hint number 2. Considered an exotic.

Hint number 3. Not an annual. (This rules out marigolds)

Hint number 4. cybermeowz is getting warm!

Hint number 5. Both the Caesalpinina pulcherrima, and this favorite Orange plant of mine, are referred to by the same sort of common name, a name which sounds like its flowers can take flight!

I truly cannot let myself drop out, I'd really rather take the risk of sending seeds in 1 to 2 days late. Without my GW swaps, I am like a fish out of water.

In the past I used to drop out whenever my life got stressful, and the result was that I got even sicker from missing out on one of my main sources of fun! :P

When the going gets rough for me, that is when I REALLY need to keep on going with my Gardenweb swaps the most!!!

The fun of giving and receiving seeds, chatting with gardeners in RR swap threads, honestly keeps me sane. It relaxes me and balances out the lack of fun in the other areas of my life.

TY for the support, Penny and BrandyM! :)
    Looking forward to seeing what cool orange stuff the others are sending in :)

Regards and warm wishes to all. Please keep the guesses coming!

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning everyone!

This morning I received a BIG package of orange seeds from ramazz. Thanks Becky!

Grovespirit, I'm glad that things are getting better for you. I'm pretty sure that I know what what your favorite orange seed is now. That last clue was a good one. I'm not going to guess it though as I'm trying to give away a prize dang it!!! Hard to give a prize to my self!

So everyone guess Grovespirit's favorite orange seed.

Take a look at the clues in the above post. You might, oh I don't know, do an internet search for Caesalpinina pulcherrima and look at what the common names for this plant are that would be like another orange exotic plant. The name of Grovespirit's favorite orange plant might just fly out at you! LOL!!

Penny

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Okay, I am totally ignorant of anything tropical, but I'm going to guess Bird of Paradise?

Bonnie

• patti1957
    14 years ago

I am going to guess Heliconia.

Patti

• dusty314
    14 years ago

Mexican bird of paradise or Peacock Flower

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good Morning everyone!

Today, I receive a package of orange seeds from highalttransplant. Thanks, Bonnie!

Also, good guesses everyone. We'll have to wait for Grovespirit to tell us if anyone has guessed her favorite orange seed!

Your hostess,
    Penny

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Bonnie is the winner! Congrats, Bonnie! :)

My favorite orange plant is in fact Bird of Paradise, scientific name Strelitzia Reginae. I will be sending freshly harvested seeds of it, in to this swap. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird of Paradise

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

Congrats Bonnie! Now, if only we lived in a warm enough climate to grow such a beauty.

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

After three days of snow, we finally had a day of sun and 30 degree weather! 30 degrees is warm compaired to the last few days. Got to the post office with my seed packet!
    Great job Bonnie!
    -B

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Bird of Paradise (Strelitzia) can in fact be grown in Zones 7 & 8, and (carefully) even in Zone 6! Just needs to be done creatively, and cautiously, with containers!! :)

It makes a good houseplant in cool parts of the year... Grown in a container, it can be brought outdoors in the warm parts of the year then back in as a lovely tropical indoor plant for the cooler parts of the year.

Plant in this mix: 1/3 potting soil, 1/3 peat, coir, or high quality compost such as mushroom compost, and 1/3 sand. Fertilize & water regularly with *organic* low nitrogen fertilizer so as to not burn roots.

Likes Bright indirect sunlight. Too much shade gives lanky plants that flower less, and too much sun can burn the leaves or dry out the plant, during Summer heat waves.

Cannot handle frost below 25F, but will generally handle temperatures up to 90F if they don't get dried out or burnt from direct summer sun.

Strelitzia will get bigger each year. Repot in a bigger pot every year, and they do bloom in time as long as you protect from frost...even in Zones 6-8.

My sister-in-law grew S. reginae in a pot in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota (Zone6). Hers first flowered in an 8" pot after becomming root bound and left out on the patio till the first danger of frost (night temps were in the 40s).
    At that time it immediately went indoors into a sunny window, and bloomed all winter long. At its peak size (occupying a half-barrel), it had 30 blooms in a season (YES, in Minnesota Zone 6!!) Because it was so big it was hard to move the pot, so she divided it into 4 parts and sold 3 of the divisions for $40 each, each division in 14" pots, all of which still have several blooms per year. :)

I grew a BOP from seed to its first (single) flower, in 4 years, while living in USDA Zone7. When it bloomed the first time it was in a 8" pot! :)

I have an Aunt who has done the same -seed to flower- in only 3 years, who lives in Zone8. :)

Pretty easy to start from fresh seed. Germination can be up to 90%, if bottom heat of 25C is supplied.

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

Congrats to Bonnie for guessing Grovespirit's favorite orange seed! There will be a surprise prize in your return bubble envelope.

Grovespirit, thanks for the directions for growing Bird of Paradise from seed. I think a lot of us have no idea about growing tropical plants. You said it first bloomed for your sister-in-law after it became root bound. Is that something that normally encourages blossoming for the BOP?? Just wondering. I know some plants really need that crowding to bloom well.

Penny

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Living in Northern Michigan I have to drag half my garden inside in the late fall! One of my favs is the lavender(spanish) that I got from kmart. There were three of them, unmarked, in 4 inch pots, for .75. they are now four years old and in pots that weigh 80 lbs! I keep them trimmed at 3 ft.
    -B

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Brandy, is Spanish lavender less hardy than English? I'm in zone 5, and I have English lavender that is perennial for me here. What zone are you in? The things I have to bring in each fall are my annual herbs, such as parsley, basil, marjoram. They don't always make it through the winter, but at least I have fresh herbs for a while. I also have a rosemary plant that I managed to keep alive indoors all winter last year, so I'm trying again.

Bonnie

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello everyone!

Today I received packages from patti1957 and dem_pa. Thanks Patti and Don!

Here's an update on the status of the Orange Seed Swap.

Seeds Received:
    highalttransplant
    jaynine
    poisondartfrog
    dusty314
    ramazz
    trudi_d
    gmom2-6boys
    carsons_mimi
    patti1957
    mmqchdygg
    dem_pa

Seeds Not Received Yet:
    lindaruzika
    brandymulvaine ***in the mail***
    butterflymomok
    grovespirit

Brandy, I bring a lot of plants indoors, too. They have taken over our small sunroom. In there, I have several geraniums, two miniature tea roses, several gerberas, two tropical hibiscus, several herbs not hardy here (rosemary, Goodwin Creek lavender, pineapple sage, lemon verbena, etc.), several hot peppers I'm try to overwinter and some begonias and coleus in the shady parts. It looks like a jungle in there!

Penny

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Highalttransplant, spanish lavender won't last in my zone 5 but the english will. I even got lady to come back last spring, hope she makes it through this winter! I would love a rosemary too but DH hate the way they smell-weird, huh?

Jungles are nice, especially when it's nasty outside!
    -B

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

Today, I received brandymulvaine's package of seeds today. Thanks Brandy!

Waiting for three more packages to arrive, then I can start sorting seeds and filling envelopes for their return trip.

Penny

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

seeds are mailed and gone!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! Hi Penny! Did you email me? I am sure someone did about the January swap but I cannot find the email now.. if it was you can you email me again?

Thanks and hugs ya'll,
    Wendy / sassyb...

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

No seed packages arrived today. Still waiting on a few. Thanks Linda for letting me know that your seeds have been mailed. Butterflymomok and Grovespirit, if you happen to read this post, could you let me know if your seeds have been mailed. Thank you so much!

Hi Wendy!
    Yes, I emailed you. I was just trying to find out if you were still planning on hosting the Green Seed Swap in January. There has been some interest in continuing the Color of the Month Swaps, so I was just trying to confirm that you would be hosting the green one so that we can come up with a new schedule for 2010. I emailed Carrie as well about the Chocolate swap for December but I don't believe that that will happen. I have not heard back from her and I don't think she has been active on GardenWeb since about April. Anyway, that is all that the email was about but I'll resend it. Thanks so much for getting back to me!

Penny

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

Hey Wendy / sassyb...

I'm working on an email to you with a few questions.

Lynn/Carsons_Mimi

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Maybe we should see if someone is willing to host the Chocolate swap for the month of February. I'm pretty sure that one would have a good turnout. Chocolate is a popular garden color right now, and doing it in February would tie in with Valentine's.

Just my 2 cents,
    Bonnie

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Grrr. When it rains it pours... My computer went on the fritz the past several days and I could not post! My seeds were mailed by the deadline.

However, they also just got returned to me today due to a supposed postage shortage... Which is bizarre given that I took it to a PO and used one of *THE PO's* mailing robots to mail it!! Grrr...

SO, now I have to somehow get myself back to the PO by bus to re-mail this thing, and then stand in the long line of folks waiting to be served too. Not a piece of cake given the chronic mobility-limiting condition I suffer from, for more info see my post on this thread:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/roundrobin/msg1215195215149.html?10

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Seeds have been re-mailed. Dear hubby FINALLY didn't have overtime tonight for a change, and he also had to mail some business correspondence.
    So, he kindly decided to give me a break and saved me some energy by taking the bubblie to the PO and mailing it for me too, thank goodness! :)

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

I really like highalttransplant's suggestion of holding the chocolate (brown, black, maroon and near-black) seed swap in Feb. Good thinking, Bonnie!

DC# for my Orange seeds, which hubbs re-mailed today via an actual, live postal clerk:
    0309 1140 0001 3139 2809

• grovespirit
    14 years ago

Oh and from what I have heard, Bird of Paradise does actually bloom more quickly and more profusely when rootbound, just like another lovely tropical does: Bougainvillea.

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

I have been sick as a dog for the last few days so that is the reason for the lack of updates.

Linda, I received your package of seeds today in the mail. Thank you!

Grovespirit, thanks for letting me know that your seeds have been mailed -- TWICE!!! I'm glad that your hubby was able to help.

butterflymomok is that only other person I have not heard from. I'm not sure if she has mailed in seeds or if she decided not to participate in this swap. butterflymomok if you read this, please let me know.

I know that in my original post I said that I would mail seeds back out by November 19th which is today. I kind of knew that was probably too ambitious of a schedule even when I wrote it. LOL!! Since, I'm still waiting on a few packages, I would guess seeds will most likely be mailed back out after Christmas when the post office is back open for business.
    Hopefully that means Monday, December 28th, but if not, by New Years seeds will be mailed out.

Highalttransplant and Grovespirit, yes I absolutely think we should have the Chocolate Seed Swap! We also missed the the White and Pink Swaps earlier this year so I'd like to see them happen as well. Wendy is thinking about whether she will be able to host the Green Seeds Swap in January as she has some tough things going on right now. She said she would get back to us. I thought that I would post an organizing thread for these missed swaps and any other color swaps that people might like to do after Christmas. Sort of a Color of the Month Swaps, 2010 Edition. I don't think enough people are reading this thread anymore to try to organize that in this thread and that it would be better to wait until after Christmas when more people will back on the forums. Do you guys think that sounds like a good idea??

Okay, that's all for now as Dude is trying to destroy the Christmas tree as a write!! Little rascal!

Penny

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

Ithink it's an excellent idea to post the Color of the MOnth swap after Christmas..I just love these swaps!

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Penny,
    I'm glad you're feeling better, it's no fun to be sick for the holidays!
    I could maybe possibly host one of the color swaps-it would be my first time-a virgin-hehehe!
    -B

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

....like a vir-ur-ur-ur-gin.....

***humming the Madonna song in my head***

;-)

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Hehehe!
    and
    BUMP!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

you guys crack me up!

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

Grovespirit, your seeds arrived today. Thank you!

This was the last package of seeds that I was waiting for. I'll be sorting and filling bubble envelopes this weekend so seeds should be in the mail on Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas/Holiday! It looks like we are going to be having a very WHITE Christmas here. Our first blizzard of the winter is going to hit on Christmas Day!

Merry Christmas everyone!
    Penny

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

I am bumping this up
    Did the packages get sent out?
    I haven't gotten mine yet:-(
    -B

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HI everyone!!!

The packages are all in the mail!!!! You should receive them next week sometime. I just got them up to the post office this morning. My fibromyalgia and chronic fatique syndrome has been acting up REALLY bad lately so it has taken me a bit longer than I would have wished. I went through everyone's want lists (those of you who had them) and I hope that I found everyone something that you wanted.

I hope everyone has a very Happy New Year!!!

Happy growing,

Penny (and Dude)

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

That's great news, Penny!

Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. I'm thinking the stress and busyness of the holidays probably aggravates your condition. Hopefully, once the holidays are behind you, you can rest and recuperate. Don't worry about taking extra time. It will be like getting a belated Christmas gift.

Thanks again for hosting!

Bonnie

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Oh Penny, I'm so sorry you haven't been feeling well! Thank you so much for hosting this swap. I hope you feel better after all this excitement dies down.
    -B

• jaynine
    14 years ago

My seeds came today. Thanks so much for such a wonderful selection~I'm just thrilled. Can't wait to plant! Thanks again Penny & Everybody!

• lindaruzicka
    14 years ago

my seeds came today! "dancing all around"...it's a great selection with alot of things I don't have!! Thanks so much everyone and Penny for being such a great hostess!!

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

My seeds came today too. Penny you did a great job! Quite a few from my wishlist in there. Thank you so much for hosting, and thank you to everyone who sent in seeds!

Bonnie

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today. A great assortment. Thanks to a great hostess and thanks to all who shared their seeds.

Don (dem_pa)

• ramazz
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today, too. What a great assortment, from veggies to beautiful flowers. Thanks, Penny, you did a terrific job, and I hope you are feeling better. Thanks to everyone who participated, too - you all sent in wonderful seeds!

Becky

• gmom2-6boys
    14 years ago

My seeds came today! ! ! I would have done a dance but I had to do all I could to keep on my feet.

Thanks to all of you who took part in this trade.

Thanks to Patty for hosting and I hope you feel better fast.

There were many more seeds than I sent in. I hadn't planned on a color swap so I didn't dry seeds by color. We had really bad gardens this year so a lot of my plants did't get a chance to make seed. I will be ready for whatever in 2010. HOPEFULLY.

Thanks again
    gmom

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone!

Wow! A lot of people got their seeds today! The post office must have been working over the New Years weekend!

I'm glad you are all liking the seeds I sent.

Gmom, I had a lot of extras ready before I started this swap so everyone got more seeds back than they sent it. It was just something that I wanted to do as so many people have been so generous to me over the last year on GardenWeb. It was a good way for me to give back.

I'm getting ready to post an organizing thread for a new round of Color of the Month Swaps for 2010. It should be up shortly. So if you are interested in hosting a Color swap, keep your eyes open for it.

Penny

• patti1957
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today! Thank you everyone and thank you Penny for the great selection.

Patti

• dusty314
    14 years ago

My seeds came today too. Penny you did a great job!
    Thank you so much for hosting, and thank you to everyone who sent in seeds!

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

My seeds arrived today as well. I can't believe how many varieties in my packet were on my mental wish list and even more were on my 'subconscious' wish list -- you know, the one I didn't know I had until I saw them in my hand! What fun!

This was my first RR swap so I truly did not know what to expect. I can't believe the generosity of the group. Now finally(!), I can go buy an actual seed box and set up housekeeping!!! My special thanks to all.

Lynn
    aka Carsons_Mimi

• cybermeowz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow! I can't believe how many people got their seeds today! I mailed them on New Year's Eve morning. The Post Office was closed on New Year's Day (Friday). That means most of you received them in only two business days (Saturday and Today, Monday!) I'm really surprised. Way to go US Postal Service!!

Lynn, yep, you will need that seed box if you keep on trading. I think that most of us that have been trading for at least a little while can attest to that. I was new to GardenWeb last year and I can't believe how many new and interesting seeds I have accumulated in that time. The generosity of people here never ceases to amaze me.

Penny

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

I got my seeds today-yay!! What a selection, thanks Cybermeowz! You did an excellent job! Now to go google some of these seeds!
    -B

• poisondartfrog
    14 years ago

I got my seeds yesterday. Thank you Penny, for hosting the swap and thanks to everyone who sent seeds. I received a nice assortment.

Alana