Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs4ever

UPDATE: Secret Santa Seed Swap (7th annual) second post

flwrs4ever
9 years ago

Sign up to be a part of the swap by November 29th , and make sure I have your mailing info PRIOR to that date, I will NOT post late info !! :)

1. This will be a wish list swap, please post your TOP 30 wishes ON SECOND THREAD Marked " Secret Santa Swap WISH LISTS"
( also make sure your regular want list is up to date, incase the Elves wants to take a Peek !)

+++ ONE LIST PER PERSON, SO PLEASE TAKE TIME WITH YOUR LIST +++++++

***WISH LIST....can be flowers, herbs, or edibles. This is a SEED SWAP ( although Santa or the Elves may find it in their heart to mail plants, bulbs)

2. Posting a wish list, signs you up to particapate in this swap...deadline to post wishlists will be November 29th

3. pack your seeds and cards as you go, plan on having them ready by December 5th ( you will get a date to mail later)

***PLEASE work on your seeds as the wish lists are posted, so you are ready to mail by Dec 8th ( BUT DONT Mail, you will get a mail date )

4. PLEASE send your mailing address to me ASAP ! WITH your screen name Like this... ( DO NOT POST YOUR ADDRESS ON THE FORUM !!)
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
Flwrs4ever ( your screen name)
Santa Claus ( your full name)
100 Snow Lane
North Pole 00000

I, __________, have read ALL the rules and understand how the swap works. I will follow all the deadlines, thank others, and promise to ENJOY this swap :D
( put your name here )
please let me know if you are a NEWBIE. Newbie for this swap is defined as someone with NO SEEDS to share.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
**ONCE SIGN UPS ARE OVER, I WILL EMAIL EVERYONE AN ADDRESS LIST, AND DATE TO MAIL�YOU WILL BE MAILING TO EACH PERSON YOU CHOOSE TO SHARE WITH ! **

5. PLEASE include a Christmas card . How you mail, is to your discression. We mostly mailed inside envies with bubble wrap last season...and bubble envies for mulitple seed packs OR large size seeds. Remember to mail the best way you can! This is all about GIVING in the SPIRIT of the Holidays !

6. PLEASE, send me a list of WHOM you are mailing to...I just need a list of screen names ( NOT, what you are mailing ) , to make sure everyone will be happily surprised. I will need your list by DEC 5th ..so start packin your seeds !! ( This will allow me time to ask a few elves for help , making sure wishes come true ! )

***HOW many you mail to will be kept confidential, it isnt about HOW MANY, it is about the SPIRIT, and the fact that you shared some HOLIDAY CHEER with another !!

7. This is a "secret" swap...but PLEASE put your return address on the envie..and screen name, so everyone can be thanked :) The secret is to be, until they receive their card !

8. Homemade cards were the best last season...but send store bought, or homemade!! I loved the ones the kids made :)

9. YES....some people may receive multiples of the same seed, but the best part is...it may be a different color, or variety...ALSO,they can use them to trade later !

10. You MUST come to the forum and thank those that mailed cards to you !!!!!!!! Please be thankful and gracious to those that take the time to mail !

ALL, ARE WELCOME TO JOIN....THIS SWAP IS ABOUT THE SPIRIT OF "GIVING"...YOU MAY MAIL AS MANY, OR AS LITTLE AS YOU ARE ABLE . THIS IS A WONDERFUL WAY TO SHARE IN THE SPIRIT OF THE HOLIDAYS AND BRING SOME CHEER TO OTHERS !! YOU CAN CHOOSE TO MAIL ONE CARD, OR 100...IT IS YOUR CHOICE !! SOOO, POST YOUR WISH LISTS, AND ALLOW SOME HOLIDAY SPIRIT INTO YOUR LIFE THIS SEASON !!!! ( must be a member in GOOD standing)

COME ON....JOIN THE FUN !!! Let's all enjoy the season together !! HO! HO! HO!

Last year NO ONE got less then 5 cards mailed to them (Thanks to alot of great gardening Elves )

***PLEASE read ALL notes BEFORE posting questions, thanks !
Simplified :
1. Post your Wish list on the thread marked " Secret Santa Swap WISH LISTS" ( NOT this thread, thanks ! and NO chatter on the list thread )
2. Send me your mailing info as PER DIRECTIONS
3. decide how many people you are willing to send to..check their wish lists. pack up seeds
4. put together a Christmas Card with seeds inside.
5. Address envelopes after you receive the address list.
6. Mail cards on DATE SENT to you by Santa
ONE LIST POSTED PER PERSON, SO PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME AND POST YOUR WISH LIST ON SECOND THREAD, AND UPDATE YOUR PROFILE WISH LIST SO SANTA CAN PEEK THERE TOO !!

Comments (150)

• Kachana
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Quick questions for experienced swappers. How do you guys package your seeds? When I bought seeds from eBay, they usually came in these little zippy bags:

{{gwi:2132530}}

Do you know where to buy these?

Thanks,

Kachana

• bumpydan65
    9 years ago

Kachana, you can get those at almost any office supply store. I made my own envelopes by using sheets of paper and folding them like a smaller version of an envelope. Then I tucked them into the cards, giving them double protection. Even if you put the words "HAND STAMP ONLY" on your envelope, the post office will eventually put it through some sort of machine, so you want to protect your seeds as best as you can.

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Thank you, bumpydan65. Making your own envelopes sounds like a great idea. I bet my kids would love to get in on the actions. But for now, I'm going to take the easier way out by buying those little bags LOL.

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have NOT received a "who your mailing to list" from :

amberroses
    Audrey
    brandyyoho
    britneysgran
    cottonwood468
    dem_pa
    dirtdaddy
    gmom2-6BOYS
    grdngramma
    ishareflwrs
    kachana
    kchd
    kineticEntity
    leann2800
    lexigurl
    laurabell
    micyrey
    misirie
    onedaylily
    patrob
    pinkiris
    pmb2005
    proudmamaof4
    rane-grow
    riley17
    roper2008
    sinbadsmom
    smitties
    stefaniechamo
    susieQsie
    xiangirl

No panic needed, just wanted to update.. I have all the other lists recorded.

You have till MIDNIGHT EASTERN STANDARD TIME FRIDAY DECEMBER 5TH TO GET ME YOUR LIST !

• intelkid
    9 years ago

You could also write the name of the seeds on a paper or sticky pad and cut it to size to place inside those little bags. I think it's a great way to go because writing on the bags can smudge if handled a lot. I've been trying it out by typing the name and year etc.. Printing it.Then inserting the little slip in the bag. Whatever that works and is convenient.

• terrigail_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Kachana,
    I get my bags from Michael's craft store (they are bags to store beads and come in different sizes). You can also buy them at drugstores like CVS or Walgreens- I think they are sold as pill storage bags. Intelkid has a good point; I cut up index cards and write all the info on that (that way another gardener can reuse the bag for different seeds later without having to keep marking out the seed names).

• Kachana
    9 years ago

I stopped by Michael's earlier today, and they ran out of the small sized bags, so I settled for the medium ones. Oh well, this is what happens when you procrastinate. I'll be well prepared next time.

Thanks for chiming in with all the helpful hints for a newbie.

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

thank you Sheri for the beautiful Christmas card! inside Sheri included... 'Redman Super Cactus Zinnia', 'Black Plum Tomato', 'Angel wing Pink Begonia', Heucherra 'Stormy Seas' and 'Picotee' Cosmos! Super excited to try these! Thank you so very much - wishing you and your family a very happy holiday season and a beautiful garden for 2015!

Jayeanne

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

I have been taught by my GW elders, to look for them at Walmart in the Beading/Craft aisle and buy all of them, when available. Some trips there are only two packages. One dollar per hundred.

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

I also got a card from Panhandle_Seed_Swap/Sheri, with my favorite Salmon Zinnia seeds inside. Thank you Sheri!

• roper2008
    9 years ago

I will resend my sent to list.

Linda

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Any tips on cushioning seeds in the cards??

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Mary - I am using a single layer of bubble wrap to cushion the seeds. I'm cutting pieces from some I already had. I've had people send in cushy paper towel or use nothing at all depending on the seed. To my knowledge those seeds are fine. Depends on the shape and size of the seed of course.

• roper2008
    9 years ago

I sent you a message thru gardenweb, my yahoo mail
    is not working. Let me know if you get it Kym.

Thanks

• yotetrapper
    9 years ago

Just checking in. All my cards are packed up and awaiting my mail date. Got some Christmas lights put up yesterday and been working on making fudge and candies in the evening. Now I need to get my regular Christmas cards made out. Going to try and do that this evening.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

votetrapper...if I may ask...what does your username mean?
    Heidi

• bumpydan65
    9 years ago

Kym, I tried to behave myself and send my cards on time, which would have been Monday, I really did! But, I was taught as a child that showing up early means being on time, and being on time means you're actually late. And I am notorious for being early. And the envelopes were just sitting there, crying out to go to their new homes, poor little things. And they were all ready to go, sealed envelopes, postage applied, sealed up so the seeds wouldn't fall out, and it's so much fun to receive a Christmas card in the mail, don't you think?
    Well, those poor little lonely envelopes bearing holiday greetings and the promise of summer in their bellies have flown the coop and are now on their way to their forever homes.
    I know you may still be not feeling well, so I'll go get my own switch and sit here quietly until you're well enough to use it on me, all the meanwhile hoping I'll learn my lesson and do what I'm told from now on.
    But really, do you think I haven't been hit with a switch before?
    Do you???
    *****quietly going outside to get a switch*****

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

I got my first card of the season, it was from Sheri (panhandleseedswap) She spoiled me rotten:

My card contained: commercial packs of the following

hibiscus-bluebird
    hibiscus-blue satin
    dahlia-sunny reggae
    morning glory-dolce vita
    celosia-forest fire

Thank you Sheri, your too kind!

Lisa

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Got mail.....

Sheri (panhandle_seed_swap) sent me a beautiful red card with snowflakes...aaahhh, is says Merry Christmas! And inside....Peaches And Cream Verbena seeds. Thanks so much Sheri!!

Nicole (bluee19) sent a cool card...a very good looking Santa with puppies roaming about in the snow. Inside were 8 FOREVER stamps. Fantastic!!! Thanks so much Nicole!!

A very Merry Christmas Sheri and Nicole. Wishing you and yours a lovely and safe Christmas season!!

Annie

This post was edited by canyonwind on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 13:32

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Santa Kym: I sent my list of whom I'm mailing a few minutes ago. Hope you got it.

Cottonwood: I did stop by Walmart this morning, and sure enough, those little bags were gone! But I'll keep checking and will snatch up some if they're available for future use.

Have a great weekend

• primrose1x3
    9 years ago

Santa Kym,

Yesterday, 12/4 @ 5:53pm, I sent my corrected list of to whom I will be mailing cards . I think I got it right this time. Let me know if I need to resend.

Are we still doing elves this year?

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Just emailed me "sending to' list!
    Heidi/Xiangirl

Sent through yahoo and GW.

• brittneysgran
    9 years ago

I received a beautiful Christmas card from Sheri (Panhandle_Seed_Swap) with Dianthus "Barbatus Kaleidoscope Mixed" seeds. Thank you Sheri so much, can't wait to plant these.

Shirley

• kineticentity
    9 years ago

Just emailed my sending list!
    Have a great weekend everyone!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

I received that most beautiful card from my Secret Santa, panhandle_seed_swap. Sheri sent Butterfly Zinnias Cha-Cha-Cha, Pink Senorita Zinnia and Cutting Zinnias Bling Bling.

• paulan70
    9 years ago

I got a 3 pack of bubble envelopes from the dollar store. The seeds and card will fit in the bubble mailer no need to wrap the seed packs seperately.

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Minimum postage on a bubble mailer is $2.32. To get more Christmas for my postage, I'm softening seeds with a layer of bubble wrap and sending with a first class stamp and certainly don't mind if others do likewise when sending to me. I had seeds sent with nothing on them and they were perfectly fine. (Flat seeds of course)

I can't wait to see these pictures of people getting their cards!! Thank you Mary for pointing out the

*******************photo contest********************

This thread is so busy I missed it!
    Promise :)

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

If anyone wants to see the photo challenge, scroll upwards to the
    red and green cartoon of an elf by a mailbox. It is just upwards of the Toy Story cowboy photo.

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 20:12

• sunnysouth36604
    9 years ago

I received a WONDERFUL card from Juanita..... It contained oak leaf lettuce, bloomsdale spinach, purple top white globe turnip, brown greasy beans and indian corn...... THIS IS SO MUCH FUN!!! Thank you Juanita!!!!!

• kchd
    9 years ago

Kym, I just emailed you the list of who I am sending too. Sorry for being late. I am a bad elf. Probably be getting coal and switches this year.

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    9 years ago

Hi everyone !

Hope you are all keeping warm ? its cold and windy today here in Hollywood, Maryland - btw, there is a typo in Hollywood on the address list, I doubt it would be a problem as long as the zip code is correct but wanted to point that out it should be Hollywood ;-) I am excited to finally get a chance to sit down today and work on my cards ;-) looking forward to seeing all the fun start as everyones' mailboxes start bringing us some extra holiday cheer ;-)
    Iris

• leann2800
    9 years ago

I did not recieve the address list. I keep trying to send you an email and get kicked off. If this goes through, someone send me a list please. Thanks.

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

leann2800, I just emailed you the the very important secret santa address list. Let me know if you received!

Annie

• Kachana
    9 years ago

I did not receive the address list either. I'm not sure if I understand this right, am I supposed to get the address list WHEN Santa Kym gives me the date to mail?

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kachana ..send me an email and I'll get the address list right to you.

Annie thanks for sending the secret list ;)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Kachana,

I just emailed you the secret santa address list and told you where to look for your mail dates. Let me know that you received.

Annie

• Kachana
    9 years ago

Got the list. Thanks Annie and Santa Kym!

Have a great day.

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Good Afternoon!!

Went out to the mailbox and what did I find???????
    2 CARDS!! :D

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!

Sheri (panhandle_seed_swap) for the Merry Christmas card and Achillea: The Pearl!!

Dan (bumpydan) aka danthemailman :) for the cute Snowman card and the orange and yellow coneflower!! Just love the Christmas stickers on my envie! :)

Merry Christmas!!! And THANK YOU!

vina

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Sheri ~ Thank you for your AWESOME card/seeds. I really am blessed to have known you through gardenweb!! Merry Christmas My Friend!!

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Dan (bumpydan) aka danthemailman, Thank YOU Dan for the pumpkins seeds. I hope I can grow one next year! I appreciate your thoughtfulness/kindness!!

• clipclop
    9 years ago

If I don't respond to acknowledge any cards sent my way right away. I am having surgery on Thursday and am unsure how long I will be out of commission. They say 5-6 days in hosp.

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Clipclop, I just wanted you to know that you will be fine. They do so many of those anymore that it's a piece of cake for them. I'm sure it doesn't feel that way to you though!
    Anyway, you are in my thoughts and prayers and praying for a great outcome and home in time for Christmas with your family! Hugs and Blessings, Melinda

• terrigail_gw
    9 years ago

FIRST CARD RECEIVED!! I get so excited =) Thanks so much bumpydan; I can't wait to get my new addition started!!

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

bumpydan! thank you so much for the beautiful Christmas card and the white coneflower seeds! I plan to winter sow these =)
    - wishing you and your family a very happy holiday season and a beautiful garden for 2015!

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

flwrs4ever -- Just letting you know that all my cards were mailed today.

Panhandle_Seed_Swap -- Thanks so much for the Christmas card!

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Clipclop your in my thoughts and prayers !!

Here is who I am waiting to hear from ....

audrey
    brandyyoho
    gmom2-6boys
    grdngramma
    ishareflowers
    leann2800
    micyrey
    msirie
    pinkiris
    sinbadsmom
    smitties
    stefaniechamo
    susieQsie

If you sent to me, and I mistakenly put you on the list, please just send me an email. Also if your a newbie with NO seeds, just let me know that also...otherwise PLEASE send me a list of screen names that your mailing to...ASAP !!

I will begin passing around the Elf list tonight, it does take time, and I will update here :)

Thanks SOOO much for ALL of you being SOO generous !!!

• bumpydan65
    9 years ago

After the day I've had it's nice to see that my cards/seeds are making some people smile. You're all welcome, and I'm glad I was able to share my garden with you!
    If you're wondering what those orange/red coneflowers are going to look like, here's a picture of their parents... enjoy!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Kym, I resent my list.

Lisa

• kchd
    9 years ago

I received a card from Nicole (bluee19) today! Lots of seeds and stickers too. Lettuces and jackolanterns. Yay!! Cute seed envelopes, too, Nicole. :)
    Thanks so much!

Katie

• mastergarder2003
    9 years ago

I sent my monday 4 cards out today. I chose to send out 7 people some seeds but the others will be mailed out according to the cart mail ,given. Enjoy. Iam getting so excited wondering what my elf's are sending me, what surprises.? so much fun .Its so hard to be ,patient.
    Bon

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource