Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leann2800

NEW: Planning Info Only- Queen Swap

leann2800
9 years ago

In the past, I participated in a Queen of the Month swap. I would like to see if anyone would like to participate and if the time frame I am planning would be suitable. I thought it would be best to start in January because of the holidays.

The swap would basically be 12 ladies, me and one more. In January, one lady is Queen of the Garden (or man could be King) and as her loyal subjects, we will send her seeds or gardening themed presents. That's 11 packages in one month. In February, another gardener takes the thrown. And each month, we continue to take turns being Queen.

We can post our wish lists before it starts. In the past swap I was in, we had a lot of fun and we chose to have the Queen post when her packages arrived so we could keep up with the participation and see all the creative gardening ideas the court came up with.

Now this is a swap that will last for a year so please let me know if you are genuinely interested. You only mail once a month for 11 months and are completely spoiled on one month.

If For some reason, we don't get 12 ladies, we can do this for a shorter period of time.

Let me know if there is any royalty out there? Would the castle be open for swapping in January or should it be sooner?

Comments (20)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Did you play in the gardener of the month swap???

• leann2800
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not this year. My life has been too busy for WAY too long but, I have lots of time to swap and garden now.

In the past, I did do a gardener of the month, Queen Swap which was much the same but with a theme.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

It's funny that this idea surfaced again. I was just talking about possibly doing it again. I wouldn't, unless, it was all well known, active garden webbers.

My very first swap group was the gardener of the month swap. It was great at first BUT some joined, got their boxes and dropped out . I'm a January baby but took August due to where I live. I sent boxes March ,April, May, June and July before it was my turn.I sent boxes to players that dropped by the time it was my turn.In the end there were only 7 players.

I still had a great month with 6 boxes but I sent to people that dropped before it was my month as did others.

I hope you have better luck!

Lisa

• Panhandle_Seed_Swap
    9 years ago

This sounds like a great idea.

Lisa said... "I sent to people that dropped before it was my month as did others." I could see that being a huge issue, too. It's a very good point.

Sheri

• kchd
    9 years ago

Maybe you could avoid/reduce people dropping out if you just went for 6 months. Sometimes time, over the long-term, is a more challenging commitment than anything. If you had 12 ladies, and 2 queens each month, participants could send 2 boxes (1 to each of the 2 queens) each month. That might be more doable. I see lots of folks who are in multiple swaps each month (FOTESS, OBF, etc.). Those are likely the participants you would want to include :)

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    Would love to join. Sounds great.

• Debra Andruska
    9 years ago

I was involved in the original Queen of the month, and it was sooo much fun! It's weird that this showed up. I was thinking about reviving it!
    I would love to join, please count me in! This is kind of like the Birthday of the month too, which I participated in too! 6 months is a good time frame, just so people don't forget about it, lose interest. And if it goes really well, allow it to do so (restart it) I kind of miss these, I used to host so many swaps and Kids took over my life- LOL! They are older now, so I have much more time.
    I miss real Round robins too! The kind where you would fill up the box with seeds, bulbs, little gardening gifts and pass it on!

Deb

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

Lisa and Deb,

Gardener of the Month with Lisa and Deb...Remember it well! That was my first round robin. And the host disappeared.... I think she disappeared off the face of the earth within a couple of weeks after posting the swap. And Lisa is right on...Some gals disappeared after they received their boxes, never sending to several people.

I agree with Lisa. The participants have to be active, well known GWERS.

Lisa, how are things? I have not talked to you in a very long time!

Deb, good to see you again! I hope all is well!

Annie

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Well I would love this one even tho I am a boy lol......I do agree about people dropping out. I think it would have to be a people with a few years at GW. I officially started gardening again last year and came back to GW. I gotta admit tho, I keep track of all trades and I have had much better trades then 4-5 years ago. I remember not receiving quite a few trades back then.

Even if I wouldn't be considered for it, I think it would be a great idea for a swap! I would love to host one next year myself, if I come up with a great idea and have more reviews. ( I have several good reviews and some from back in 2009 but admittedly, its usually something that I forget to ask people to do for me!)

~Michael

P.S. I also think a more real round robin would be wonderful also with gardening gifts, bulbs, seeds, cards. I just think it would have to be more carefully planned and include "regular" traders (which does suck for new people tho) I did the Seed Train Swap last year and it was so neat to get a whole thing of seeds and spread them out and take some, replace some and just see how many seeds a bunch of us, could come up with!

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

What neat idea!
    Dislike how People drop out AFTER they receive their box.

• lorabell_gw
    9 years ago

I think an idea that would work to include those of us who aren't as 'well known' is to assign us queen during the last months . That way if we do drop out or not fill our commitment, it won't be a loss to anyone. Just an idea.

I'll gladly take spot number 12.

• Debra Andruska
    9 years ago

Bringing this up to the top! Anyone else interested in the swap? ;) Post now!
    With ideas, or concerns....

Deb

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Lorabell, that's a great idea!

Annie, The only thing that has changed since we spoke is I became a Nana in late June. He is my little ray of sunshine o my worst days! How are you and the dogs doing?

Deb, I really enjoyed this swap too, I had been talking with pinkiris about doing it again when this thread popped up! It was actually kind of strange, I told her about the gom swap and I think it was the next day that this popped up.

heavenlyfarm, I too like it when the boxes are plants,plant related or mostly garden stuff.

I like the idea of it going for 6 months too. I'm in MA. so its hard to send someone in a warm zone garden stuff when I can't dig or buy plants from November to April and that's pushing it. The are going dormant or just waking up on the other end.

Lisa

Anyway, I would want to do it again, it was great!

• Debra Andruska
    9 years ago

I would love to do this- and other 'original' swaps we used to have. And yes, we might have to ask for members that have been around awhile or post often, for a few of them. ;)
    Many of the swaps we did are gone- true RR's. Seasonal swaps- one to one, I used to host "Fall" swaps, "Winter" ones- and true seed RR's. I have way more time now (kids are bigger, LOL). So- let's start with this one!

Hopefully, we bring this one back- and Other Members see, it can work! And swaps from the past- come back... I did plant cutting RR's too (houseplants).

Deb

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

I agree with Lorabell. I would do that as well :)

• leann2800
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Not sure which year was the original swap but, I remember some of you. I kept the emails from that swap and cards in a special folder. The ladies involved were so kind I could not let them go.

• Christine00
    9 years ago

i would love to be involved in this swap, especially if for 6 months instead of the whole year..

• Debra Andruska
    9 years ago

Checking to see if the swap is going to start- or not.
    I would gladly host it! If no one else wants to.. We could do the 6 month swap.

Deb

• mcc371
    9 years ago

This sounds like alot of fun! I think I will join too! I have been in several swaps where you are queen and have hosted others.Time frames are always an issue thru out the year. Right now I am hosting the New Years Theme Swap. Not many have joned but I think it will pick up after Christmas. Everyone is busy right now.The last one I done was last year for Valentines. It was alot of fun and the homemade cards were too cute!! I am planning another swap for valentines coming soon. All these swaps- just too much fun!!!

• SusieQsie_Fla
    9 years ago

Are you guys going to start this swap this month?

Looks like you need one more to make it twelve - can it be me? I will be willing to be a later month so I can prove myself to the rest. I feel like I know most of you from the last couple of Secret Santa Swaps.

I really think that Michael needs to be King!

Thanks
    Susie