Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nettasaura

UPDATE: 'Name-That-Seed' Robin Has Launched!!!

nettasaura
17 years ago

Hello Everybody!

A Note First: A special thank you to mmqchdygg for letting me use a bunch of her ideas for the Robin since they were positively ingenious and do help to protect privacy!

Rules:

1). The Robins have been launched! They contain exactly 50 packs of seeds each, all different to give a good variety. At any one point there should be no less than 50 packs of seeds in the Robin. Remember you can remove as many packs as you like as long as you replace them with the same number or more that you removed. There are also instructions included in the Robins for anyone who forgets them!

2). There are "goodie" bags in both of the Robins...please remove only one item, and replace the bags! If you choose, you can add small lightweight gifts to the "goodie" bag, but this is completely optional.

2). You will be sent a separate snail mail with the name and address of the person you will be sending the envie to. There will be a Delivery Confirmation label included. Delivery Confirmation is an absolute must, USE IT! Make sure your postal worker scans the label into the computer! I have also included a mailing label for the person you will be sending to....USE THIS as I have formatted them for the speediest shipping possible. We don't want these Robins to get lost! If anyone loses their DC# receipt, let me know because I have kept records of all of them.

3). Please leave my return address label in the upper left hand corner. Should something happen and a robin be returned I would prefer that it come back to me so I can send it on to the next person in the robin.

4). Snail mails will be sent out a few at a time, just prior to you receiving the robin.

5). Player list (in order of play) and flight map:

This Robin is going to make two smaller circles around the country to help everybody get some seeds in time for winter sowing. A trip out to the East Coast, and a smaller tighter circle around the interior Midwest and West Coast.

{{gwi:1312965}}

EAST: Robin A

H - nettasaura: Lonetta

A1 - simplylisa: Lisa

A2 - kywildcat2: Teresa

A3 - andrea81: andrea

A4 - jselwa: Jennifer

A5 - lisam627_ohio_z6: Lisa

A6 - juspeachy: JoAnn

A7 - fairydancer: Deb

A8 - zabecc: Elizabeth

A9 - mmqcgdygg: Tina

A10 - wendeyzee: Wendey

A11 - galium: Mariann

A12 - threeshyacres: Jodi

A13 - mich245: Christina

A14 - bogartbaby: Deanie

A15 - mimib1: Brenda

H - nettasaura : Lonetta

{{gwi:1312966}}

WEST: Robin B

B1 - cedarnest: Nancy

B2 - hummingbirddaisy: Tina

B3 - mnwsgal: Bobbie

B4 - julie_mn: Julie

B5 - candycow: Candy

B6 - boop: Beth

B7 - momcat: Deb

B8 - micyrey: Michelle

B9 - patrob: Patricia

B10 - sguanzon: Sue

B11 - dizzydaffodil: Susann

B12 - penguu: Kerry

B13 - mallowmallow: Pam

B14 - nightnurse1968: Susan

Simplylisa & Cedarnest:...

Comments (150)

• dizzydaffodil
    17 years ago

Hi Netta, rec'd my snail mail today - thank you SO MUCH for the lovely personal touches you put into this RR! I will certainly enjoy my gifts!
    Susann

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hi
    I don't understand about there still being lots of generic seeds in robin B, there were not any seeds marked just "cosmos" or "red hollyhocks". I don't know a lot about plants but each pack had names, maybe they were botanical names ( I am very bad with these) I put in about 40 packets and only took 15, and many of these were comercial.
    I'm sorry there wont be a round 2 but I put in all my extra seeds anyway.
    happy new year everyone
    michelle

• patrob
    17 years ago

Michelle, I think a lot of people must be confused about what "named" variety means. Here are some examples of unnamed seeds that were in Robin B when I received it:

Liatris spicata  blazing star (4 packets)
    Celosia spicata  flamingo feather (2 packets)
    Gloriosa daisy
    Cypress vine - Ipomoea quamoclit
    Shasta daisy
    BabyÂs breath - Gypsophila
    Catananche - Cupid's dart

There was one packet of double red hollyhocks that had a sheet fastened to it showing a named variety but the packet just said "red double hollyhocks." I took a few seeds and sent the packet on. They will be pretty named or not.

There's nothing wrong with unnamed seeds. However, for this robin Netta specified named varieties only. I left the unnamed seeds in as I had all of them already and thought someone else might use them.

I use Google when I am not sure if I have named seeds or just seeds with a common name I am not familiar with. If someone puts quotation marks around a common name, the next recipient might be misled and think she has a named variety. Some plants like liatris have many common names: blazing star, gayfeather, Kansas gayfeather, button snakeroot, snakeroot.

There are lots of named seeds still in the robin, and I hope all the remaining participants find seeds they will enjoy growing.

Happy New Year and Happy Gardening to everyone!

Patricia

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

And in adding just a bit to that....the following ARE named varieties of Liatris/Blazing Star: "Kobold", "Floristan White", "Floristan Violet", and "Snow White".

A quick trick is to go to this Davesgarden.com and do a search using the genus and species (ie: liatris and spicata respectively)....this will not only show you all the common names, but it will have most if not all of the known cultivars in quotes. And non members (like me) can do up to 10 free searches a day. Hope that helps anybody.

Patricia - celosia spicata "flamingo feather" is a named cultivar. If you were thinking Prince's Feather...this is a common name.

A cultivar of Cypress Vine is "Rose Feather".
    Some Cultivars of Gloriosa Daisy are "Irish Eyes", "Cherokee Sunset", and "Prairie Sun".
    Some cultivars of Cupid's Dart are "Amor White", "Amor Blue", "Bicolor", and "Major".
    Some cultivars of Shasta Daisy are "Fluffy", "Alaska", and "Silver Princess".
    Some cultivars of Babysbreath are "Convent Garden", "Festival White", "Gypsy Deep Rose".

I hope that these specific examples will help out anybody else who might be unsure.

Thanks - Netta

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Hi All,
    Just wanted to say as the last person to get Robin B before it flies back to Netta - I will not be disappointed whether there are named or not-named in the envelope, although I do understand the purpose of this Robin. As long as there are some neat named varieties mixed in all will be good :-). I am just excited that it's finally getting around to me!!! Woohooooo!!!!!

• MimiB1
    17 years ago

Happy New Year's Eve fellow gardeners!

I, like nightnurse,(whom I see used to be from good ole Louisiana) am the last person (on Robin A) before it goes back to Netta. Our wonderful Netta has worked so hard putting all of this together and keeping everything on track and I am sure that you agree with me when I say we are totally greatful. I must also say that I agree with nightnurse and understand the purpose of the Robin. I also want to add that I am rarely disapointed with the usual (or unusual) variety that is generously included in the robins by my fellow gardeners. Having said that, I NOW need to go back through what I had planned to add when the RR gets to me, because I am afraid that some of the packets I THOUGHT were NAMED may not be!!! GardenWeb continues to educate me. For that I am very grateful. Have a safe and wonderful Holiday! I am looking forward to Netta hosting many more of these fantastic robins for us! Brenda

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hello
    thanks for some of the names, the shasta daisy should be "becky" if it is not marked I just forgot. I thought blazing star was a named cult. I learn something new all the time.
    thanks again netta
    michelle

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

I expect I'll receive Robin B on Wednesday (post office is closed on Tuesday). I have some nice named seeds to contribute and I'm looking forward to receiving it.

• threeshyacres
    17 years ago

Hi Netta and fellow gardeners,

I received my snail mail package in the mail on Saturday, and was tickled to receive everything in my favorite color...RED! Thanks so much, Netta! I can only imagine how organized and detail-oriented you are in your day to day life. So, that is gonna be one fine roof your dad will end up getting....very well-crafted and done in his favorite colors, I'd assume. : )

Anyway, this is fun, and thanks for the added tips on sending the correct seeds.

Have a great New Year's!
    Jodi B.
    'ThreeShyAcres'
    : )

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Hi MiMi!!! *waving* Where ya from? I grew up in Alexandria, but both of my parents are from a little farther south in Port Barre, which is about 20 mins north of Lafayette. Sorry to hear of your Katrina losses. I was out here when it happened and cried for days because, of all things, I wanted to be there. Silly I know when there was so much destruction and chaos, but I just felt like I could have helped somehow! Hope you were able to replace some of your plants.

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Wendey- That DC is still not showing as logged into the system. I'd look for the pkg today or tomorrow, though.

All- It's of no matter now, but I'll be sure to use the Concord PO from now on. They have a scanner there.

• wendeyzee
    17 years ago

Hi, just checkin in, we wont be having any mail delivery service today, all fed agencys are closed today in rememberence of the late President Gerald Ford.
    I'll check back again tomorrow.
    Wishing you all A beautiful New Year!
    Wendey

• patrob
    17 years ago

USPS says Robin B arrived in Phoenix at 11:01 this morning. Hope it gets to you tomorrow, Sue!

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Flight Paths as of today:

A10 - wendeyzee: Wendey

B10 - sguanzon: Sue
    B11 - dizzydaffodil: Susann

• wendeyzee
    17 years ago

Hi, no robin today, the mailman just left!!

Netta, I got your snail mail today and you are awesome!!
    What a very SWEET, THOUGHTFUL and BEAUTIFUL thing to do, Thank you soooooo much :-D
    Wendey

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

I get off work in about an hour - I'm sure the robin should be at my house - can't wait!

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Hi! It arrived! I took 5 packs of seeds and added 16 packs. I didn't take any of the gifts but added a couple. It will be on it's way tomorrow to Susann and I will use the label and delivery confirmation provided by Nettasaura.

Thanks again for such a well organized robin!

Sue G.

• sguanzon
    17 years ago

Ok, it's on it's way to Susann
    Conf #0306 0320 0004 0374 0123

• wendeyzee
    17 years ago

Hi, The robin has finally landed!! Wow what a fabulous selection, I'm having a great time with this one, everyones contributions are really great but I will give extra cudos to Elizabeth (zabecc) who added a BUNCH of great seeds, also to Lisa (simplylisa) for the wonderful veggie selections.
    I'll post back tomorrow with the DC#.
    Wendey :-D

• galium
    17 years ago

I'm next-Yipee!!!

• zabecc
    17 years ago

Thank you Wendey, that was sweet. I hope you found something that you wanted!!!
    -Elizabeth

• wendeyzee
    17 years ago

Hi, The robin is on the fly to Mariann, DC# 03061070000511858814.

Netta just in case you recorded the DC# you sent me and this one is different its because I forgot the other half at home and the post man said it needed to officially stamped so I had him put a new one on the package. I would like to thank you and say you are a GEM of a hostess, for all of your organization and the thoughtful personal touches to create a most enjoyable time was really appreciated :-D

I took out 34 pkts of seeds most of which was named and a couple of unnamed also and I put back in 40 pkts all varieties that werent in there and are named.

Elizabeth, yes indeedy, I sure did find a few of yours that I wanted but really thought it was worth mentioning that you were so generous!
    Wendey

• galium
    17 years ago

I'll be on the lookout..
    Mariann

• dizzydaffodil
    17 years ago

Hi Netta & all,
    I rec'd RR-B today!! I've been having fun going through it. Quite a few things I had to look up - that's always interesting!
    I ended up taking out 20 packets I can use (named & not) & put in about 25 (ALL NAMED cultivars). There were around 4 packets of Granpa Ott MG already there, so I put in different ones ;) as well as alyssum, some veggies, heucheras, peppers, 4 oclocks, sweet peas, on & on & such & such. Netta, I hope there are good things still there when it gets back to you.
    I also took a gift (this soap smells divine) & put in a couple more lightweight things.
    It will go to penguu : Kerry on Monday. I'll post del. confirmation after I send it.
    Netta, thank you so much for a wonderful RR - you put so much work into this and I really appreciate it.
    Susann

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Susann,
    If it's Lemon Verbena soap, I made it. I added several lightweight soaps (Sun shaped/flat) to the package. The entire house smells wonderful after I make a soap batch!

I'm glad to see the robin moving so quickly!

Deb

• dizzydaffodil
    17 years ago

Deb, It IS! And I can only imagine the fragrance of this in the making! You done good! Hmmm.... I may have to find something to trade with you for more of this soap (love the lilac/purple color - matches the guest bath). Thank you for including them!
    Susann

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bogartbaby, Mimib1, Mallowmallow, Nightnurse1968.....watch for your snail mails....they are going out Monday morning....let me know when you get them!

Flight Paths as of today!:

• galium
    17 years ago

Robin A has landed. I'll go through it and post again tomorrow.
    Mariann

• dizzydaffodil
    17 years ago

Heads up penguu: Kerry!!! RR B was sent Priority mail today!!
    Delivery confirmation number is 0103 855 7499 5225 1946 I made sure it was scanned into the system.

Netta, thank you so much for making this a very special RR. The extra efforts and special touches you put into this are so appreciated.
    Susann

Here is a link that might be useful: Track & Confirm USPS

• galium
    17 years ago

Robin A was Priority Mailed this morning to Jodi-threeshadyacres. DC# 0306 0320 0004 0367 7306.

I took 4 pkts of named seeds and 1 pkt unnamed. I added 7 pkts. of named seeds.

Netta, thanks so much for all the time you spent putting this robin together.

Mariann

• dizzydaffodil
    17 years ago

So sorry, I missed a number!!

0103 8555 7499 5225 1946

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Netta! Got my snail mail today. Thank you sooooooo much for the wonderful little treasures. I just love them. :-) You were so sweet to go the extra mile for us. I am excited also because it means that the Robin is getting close to me!!!!! Thanks again. Your a peach :-)

• penguu
    17 years ago

Robin B has landed~ That lemon verbena soap looks so cute! (Deb, how did you extract the lemon verbena-ness from the lemon verbena?) I've a mind to make some soaps with my scented geraniums.

Last but not least, thanks netta for all the hard work that made this robin possible!

I'm mailing it out tomorrow~ Pam, watch your mail~~~

• threeshyacres
    17 years ago

Hello Netta and fellow gardeners,
    I received the package of seeds today, but wasn't able to go through it until this evening. Let me tell you, I had such FUN going through it....about an hours worth of picking, choosing, and restocking. I must have chosen well over thirty seeds and replenished the envelope. If all goes well, I should be able to get this to the post office tomorrow.
    There were some really great named seeds in there...and I am so pleased. Thanks to all!
    Sincerely,
    Jodi B.
    'ThreeShyAcres'

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Flight Plan as of tonight:

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Penguu,
    I purchased a Lemon Verbena oil that I added to the soap, specifically made for soapmaking.

Deb

• mallowmallow
    17 years ago

lemon verbena..wow my favorite..hope theres some left..ok well seems tuesday will be the day...
    pam

• penguu
    17 years ago

Deb:
    I guess I'll have to find out how to extract oil from my lemon verbena before I can turn them into soaps and lotions~~~

Pam:
    Shame on me, I forgot to post the tracking number...Here it is:
    0306 0320 0004 0374 0208

• threeshyacres
    17 years ago

Hi Netta and fellow gardeners,
    I just sent the box of seed goodies on to Christina.
    The confirmation number is: 0306 0320 0004 0367 7337.

I very much enjoyed going through this box, and I hope that I added some tantalizing seeds for those getting it next. Enjoy!

Jodi B.
    'ThreeShyAcres'

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Hi Netta, I received your snail mail today. Thank you so much I just love it, you are so talented and I was really surprised.This means that the robin is not far behind :)
    I will post as soon as it lands here.

• MimiB1
    17 years ago

Netta, I received my snail mail today and wanted to tell you that you are just too talented!!! Not to mention generous. Thanks so much! It is a pleasure to participate in your robin.

• mallowmallow
    17 years ago

this robin has arrived today and i will post when it is off..we are having bad weather with snow and ice.
    pam

• mallowmallow
    17 years ago

hi
    i took out ten packs and added fourteen took one goodie and replaced it with something else

thanks to lonetta for a well organized robin!

its on its way to susan...enjoy!

pam
    mallowmallow

dc 0306 0320 0004 0374 0239

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Flight Paths as of today:

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

It made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't have time last night to go through it, but will do my picking and replacing today and put it in the mail on Monday. Love the soap and don't you worry Netta there is some left for you too :-). The anticipation building up to receiving the package has been exciting and in a couple of days Robin B will have landed back at the nest :-). I will post when it goes in the mail. Thanks Pam for your additions and for the email!!!

• Mich245
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Sorry for the delay in posting, but the bad weather we had on Thursday kept me from getting Robin A back out when I wanted to. I got it mailed Saturday morning, so you should have it by Tuesday bogartbaby. Here's the DC#:
    0306 0320 0004 0374 0185
    I took, and added back, 13 packs. There is a lot of very nice items in this robin, it took a while to decide what I wanted.
    Thanks, Netta.
    Christina

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    17 years ago

Robin B is heading home! I took 15 and replaced them plus 5 more. I had to take some of that yummy soap! Shipped Priority Mail and sorry Netta but I used my own Delivery Confirmation because I bought my postage online or it might not have gotten out of here this week! The Number is 0103 8555 7499 3545 8577. It doesn't have far to go, so should be there in a day or two. Thanks for a great trade!
    Susan

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can't wait! Can't wait! Can't wait!

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Robin A landid here last night and it will be taking the next flight out this morning. I took out two and put in five seed packs. Brenda, get ready it's flying your way with a little surprise in it for you. Hope you enjoy it.
    I will post as soon as I get back from the post office.

• bogartbaby
    17 years ago

Here is the DC# 0306 0320 0004 0374 0246
    Brenda, look out for the fat robin that's coming your way.