Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

new: 3rd annual fotess holiday card swap!

sjc48
9 years ago

Happy Holidays, Everyone, and welcome to the 3rd Annual FOTESS Holiday Card Swap! This year's theme is "Snowflakes".

Please remember, FOTESS is a members only swap group. If you would like to join, we would love to have you! Contact Jeanne (sandlapper_rose), or me for details on what to do.

As always, this is going to be a very simple swap: If you sign up, you will be sending a holiday greeting to three of your fellow FOTESS members. And that's it. Just a greeting card!

Now, if you would like to include a small giftie, you can, but make sure that the giftie is small enough to fit in the card and mailed with just one regular stamp.

Gifties are NOT required. The Card is the important thing!

Sign ups will be held until Saturday, Dec. 6th. I will email you the names of the FOTESS members you are to send to on Sunday, Dec. 7th. Please keep these names secret. Part of the fun is the surprise!

The deadline for mailing your cards is Dec. 22nd.

There will also be a "Snowflake" Bingo!

This is my favorite FOTESS swap to host. I send lots of Holiday cards each year, and this is a darned good excuse to send more! I love making my own cards or finding just that right one out there among all the thousands of cards available. And I love that our members take the time to participate in this swap, at this VERY busy time of year.

So, I'm hoping you can join in and share some Holiday Cheer!
Shirley!

Comments (150)

• canyonwind
    9 years ago

I, for one, am very appreciative that we have our own resident FOTESS QUEEN NERD, aka Katie. I love being educated on the many somethings that I do not know a darn thing about and/or that I have never heard of. A glowing worm, that truly glows, incredible!! Thanks for sharing with us Katie!!

I love, love, love Rosemary Clooney!! She has been a fav of mine for years and I am 56 years young. I think it all started with watching "White Christmas" when I was a little one. Her greatest hits is great stuff.

And Christmas Card Day, I had no idea there was such a day.

My cards have not started to travel yet....soon!

Happy Day!!

Annie

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I agree, Annie, and I am very glad that Katie takes the time to share all this stuff with us!

I received bingo words from Jamie and Ruth today. For those of you that are still on the fence about joining in the Snowflake Bingo, you have until tomorrow evening to send me your word list. I'll be posting the first word Friday morning!

VERY cold here today. I can't seem to get my house warmed up. Bummer!

I haven't been to a cookie party in years! They were so much fun, and I usually came away with one or two new recipes. Has anyone else been to one this year?

Posting pics of your Christmas tree is certainly a great thing to do, if you'd like!

Off to finish some more cards, or rather envelopes, how could I have forgotten the envelopes?
    Have a great day tomorrow,
    Shirley!

• flowergirl34
    9 years ago

Evening!

LOVE the glow worm! They are cute in an insecty way :) Kids and I are huge insect lovers.

Shirley, resent my bingo words. Hopefully second time is a charm.

The snow is coming down here! We have about 8 inches so far, but, those big fluffy flakes don't look like they are letting up anytime soon. Kiddos might not have school tomorrow...they're already crossing their fingers, hahaha!!

Have a great night!
    vina

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

I'm going to post some pics of a nativity set my mother made me back in 1985. She did a lot of work on these and one of my proudest possessions still. Never fails to be put up each year!

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

She did a lot of painting on these little pieces! More close up photo!

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Here is a Crazy Quilt Tree Skirt she made about 20 years ago. I never fail to use it either! Helps keep her with me through the hard times when one misses her so much!

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    9 years ago

Wow I received a card from Jamie (patton40) already. It had a very pretty bookmarker in it. Thanks Jamie, Holliday wishes to you and everyone else in FOTESS!

Suzanne

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Wow that was fast! I hope you had a great Birthday Suzanne!
    Holiday wishes to you also!
    Melinda

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Happy girl! I rec'd my first Fotess card today! Lovely homemade snowflake card from Nicole! And she added black magic bachelor button seeds! Thank you so very much! I love it! Melinda

• nottougly
    9 years ago

I mailed my cards today so they are on the way. I received my first card today from Melinda, ilovefarac. Thank you so much I just love the glittery snowman and Santa Claus.

How many words do we have to get to get bingo.

Thanks everyone,
    Faye!

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Melinda ~ U R WELCOME!!

This post was edited by bluee19 on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 20:20

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Melinda, What treasures! The quilt is beautiful!

Faye, you need 10 words for bingo.

Vina, I got your words, again. Too funny!

And the cards are flying! I got a really pretty card from Nicole today and she included winter stickers and a pack of Lilliput Mixed Zinnias. Just what I need for my Iris garden!

And Suzanne, Heidi and Sharon/gmom emailed me that they got their list of names to send to. Suzanne and Sharon also sent me their bingo words. Heidi, if you sent your words, I didn't get them. Please send again, you have until tomorrow morning!

I'll be posting the first word before I go to work,
    now off to finish the dishes,
    Shirley!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Shirley, I got my names. I'm a little confused (but that's not hard to do--I spend much of my life confused). I sent you an email through yahoo.
    A quick Christmas Card laugh!
    {{gwi:2132610}}
    Heidi

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Ha! I love the card! That's for sharing, Heidi.

• patton40
    9 years ago

You are welcome suzanne! I am so glad ro be a part of this card swap!

• smitties
    9 years ago

Shirley, I missed the Bingo posts so am sending my words to you. I am so behind in everything but looks like I made it just in time.

By the way, my cards went out yesterday.

Margo

• patton40
    9 years ago

Melinda, I love your nativity and tree skirt!

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Thanks Jamie! They were made by my mother who passed away 8 years ago. Made for gifts for us when we were younger. I always bring them out at Christmas as it makes me feel as part of her is still with us! I will treasure them always!

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Morning All!
    Heidi, got your email and just sent you an email with the address you needed.

Margo, got your words. Isn't this weather goofy? Wish it would just snow and get it over with.
    It's time for the Snowflake Bingo, YAY!!!
    Players for the Snowflake Bingo are:
    Katie
    Jamie
    Faye
    Nicole
    Shirley/bg
    Jayeanne
    Melinda
    Erica
    Promise
    Annie
    Peggy
    Jeanne
    Ruth
    Vina
    Suzanne
    Sharon/gmom
    Margo

And here is your first word: INCHES!

Have a great day, Ladies!
    Shirley!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Good morning Ladies!

Melinda, I love your nativity and tree skirt, they are just beautiful!!!

Mary, May we see picture of the babies already?! They are probably still just naked mole rats, but I still wanna see the babies!!!

Heidi, now that is a funny card!!!

SJC Shirley, I could really do without some inches.

I'm working on my cards, I sent 1 out. 2 more to go. Just when I think sickness is gone, my tonsils swell up and my ears hurt. Yay, winter is so fun.

My shopping for our kids is done. Now it's time to move down the list.

Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend!
    Promise :)

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Heidi, what a funny card! Made for a good laugh this morning!
    Promise, I so hope you get to feeling better soon! It is no fun being sick!
    No Bingo word for me!
    Everyone has a wonderful day! Melinda

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

I received my card from Jamie (patton40) along with a pretty bookmark. Thanks Jamie. The bookmark will come in handy.
    I haven't been adding much to the discussions here. Three weeks ago I hurt my hand. One finger was bruised and very swollen, but I figured it was just hurting and there wasn't a lot to be done about it. Yesterday I went to the doctor and found out it's broken. They sent me to an orthopaedist and then I came home with what they called a splint, but it was huge and went from below my elbow to the fingertips. I was not happy - still need to wrap gifts, etc. Today I went back to see my usual orthopaedist and he took all that off and has me with just 2 fingers taped together. Much better! I probably wouldn't have gone to the doctor at all, but I have lots of episodes of being quite dizzy and having headaches. I've never been prone to getting headaches. This seems to have started after I got that second epidural pain shot in my back over the summer. The doctor thinks I'm starting to get migraines nearly every day. She started me on a prescription; and if it works it will take weeks to work, so obvioulsy I am struggling to get ready for Christmas.
    I had been doing some napping after my dcotor's appointment, but I'm going to see if I can get something done.
    Jeanne

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Today I received a card from Jayeanne that is nice and glittery and says Merry Christmas, butterfly calendar, seeds Plains Coreopsis and Evening Primrose. Thanks Jayeanne! :)

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Jeanne, I am so sorry to hear that you hurt your hand and are having problems with headaches and things. I knew someone who started that after they rec'd epidural pain shots! They found out it didn't heal and slowly leaks spinal fluid. They put a blood patch on it and it stopped the problem! I so feel for you and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
    I haven't done much for Christmas yet either. My grandson helped decorate and put up the tree. But haven't yet had energy to go shopping or wrap a few things I have. But maybe next week will be better!
    Hope all are having a good day! Melinda

• elliesfun
    9 years ago

I received a card from Margo and Jeanne today. What a surprise! I haven't been on garden web for months cause I have been so busy. Thank you very much ladies for the beautiful cards.

Ellie

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    9 years ago

I received a very pretty card from Jamie yesterday. It had a snowman on it and snowflakes, also included was a bookmarker. Thanks Jamie!

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I received a pretty snowflake card from Margo today.
    It had little and BIG snowflakes inside. Loved it. Thank you Margo.

Ellie, I wasn't in this swap last year and was really surprised to get cards.

• kchd
    9 years ago

Hi Ladies,
    Glad to provide some educational entertainment in the form of glowing creepy crawlies. Glow worms are pretty cool. Who know they were real?!

On Wednesday, I received a card from Erica. Santa was checking his list, and out the window it was snowing. She also included some seeds right off my wishlist: Eastern bluestar, purple tomatillo, Grande RIo Verde tomatillo, A Grappoli d'Inverno tomato, and 5 color silverbeet swiss chard. Erica, you have totally spoiled me! Thanks so much!

Jeanne, what a bummer about your broken finger. Hope it heals quickly. I hope it isn't your dominant hand. There are so many things that are difficult to do one-handed. Have you given up wearing a bra yet?

I'll be mailing out my cards this weekend!

Katie

• smitties
    9 years ago

Ellie and Ruth, the large snowflakes are actually coasters you can use. Thought that might be useful.

Not a good time for broken fingers or illness. I hope you all heal quickly and that your Christmas is not disrupted by the problems you are having.

I hope everyone has a good weekend. Margo

• sjc48
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good Morning, Everyone! Happy Saturday!

Promise, I know what you mean about being sick, what a bummer, the ribs that I bruised a few weeks back are once again really painful, so I'm off the the hospital to have an xray taken. Like I have time for this.

Jeanne, feel so bad for you, hope you get to feeling better soon!

Hi Ellie, nice to hear from you, check in every once in while and let us know what's up with you, okay?

I'm hoping to mail my cards on Monday, but might be a little later than that. And Katie, I'm not giving up my bra, it helps hold my ribs tight, or some darn thing, it just feels better with it on. Lord I hate this.

And on a happier note, here is today's Snowflake Bingo Word! SNOWSTORM!

Words called so far:
    INCHES
    SNOWSTORM

Have a great weekend, Ladies, stay warm and healthy!
    Shirley!

• pinkiris
    9 years ago

Melinda .... thank you so much for the beautiful snowflakey glittery Snowman Christmas Card =) .... very festive! you must know me all too well....I absolutely LOVE snowmans'....

Wishing you and yours a blessed holiday season..and many blooms in 2015!

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

ruthz, your card came today and it is beautiful and included Dark Opal Basil seeds. Thank you!!! :)

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

I'm so glad you like it, Jayeanne! I didn't put anything in the cards, I guess I should have. But after the last swap, the WLOMWL swap, and the SSS, I figure if someone wanted something I had, they already got it!
    I hope all are having a great weekend! I have been doing the OBF Swap today and it's been a blast. Taking all day and probably all evening to finish it off.
    Hugs to all and have a great night! Melinda

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Thank you Ruth for the birthday Christmas/Birthday card. The scenery of the lake with Christmas trees/snowflakes are too cute. Makes me want to visit that place and get away from the hustle and bustle of city life.

9 years ago

Christmas Card of the Day!
    {{gwi:2132611}}

Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

I received a card from Faye (nottougly) today. Thanks so much, Faye, for the card and the seeds.
    Faye had the perfect card with a snowflake on the front.
    Happy Holidays to you and your family, Faye.
    Jeanne

• smitties
    9 years ago

Good morning everyone. I received a phone message from Shirley last night that she will be unable to post Bingo words today and asked if I would do it for her. She has chosen two words for today

Frozen
    and
    Melted

I hope everyone is having a great start to this Sunday. I myself was up at 5:45 to travel to a 5k that I must admit was one of my favorite. We are now on our way to breakfast at Cracker Barrel which is the best part. :)

Shirley has given me tomorrow's word as well in case she can't get on again so watch closely tomorrow.

Margo

9 years ago

{{gwi:2132612}}

• sandlapper_rose
    9 years ago

You did a good job, Margo. I had both of those words!

My broken finger is my ring finger on my left hand which is not my dominant hand so I'm lucky about all that. Actually I'm doing quite well with it other than fine details like tying bows or something that takes using a lot of pressure like opening the safety caps on pill bottles.

I can't believe Christmas is so near now. You begin thinking "oh, there's still lots of time" and then suddenly there isn't! We finally finished with decorating - now to get the place cleaned up again.

Jeanne

• smitties
    9 years ago

No word from Shirley yet so I am going to go ahead and call the next word she told me and that is

Drifts

From what I can tell it looks like the following words have been picked so far.

INCHES
    SNOWSTORM
    FROZEN
    MELTED
    DRIFTS

Jeanne, I felt like I was cheating cause I had one of the words but they were the words Shirley instructed me to post. LOL

I hope everyone's week is off to a great start.

Margo

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Happy Monday ladies! Only 10 more days until Christmas!!! The kids have one of those count down calendars and are very up to date. My youngest is home today with her hacking cough. We're going to the Dr. later. My tonsils are finally getting better. That was miserable. We've got the sugar cookie dough in the fridge and are planning a baking party next weekend. Busy, busy, busy. I've sent out my 2nd card. I still have 1 more to send out. Getting there slowly but surely.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!
    Promise :)

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Ruth -- Thank you so much for the lovely snowflake card and the dark opal basil. I can't wait to give it a try!

Promise -- I love the awesome personalized card. I didn't even notice that it was Meow until I opened the card, then went back and looked. Very cool. I love the address labels. Now I'm thinking that I need to redo mine, because yours are so much better! And thank you so much for the seeds!

• bluee19
    9 years ago

Thank U Miss EricaBraun (Erica)! R you tired of me yet? We are in so many swaps together :)-

This post was edited by bluee19 on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 21:35

• smitties
    9 years ago

Shirley is still having computer difficulties so I have pulled out of Bingo so that I can continue giving the words for all of you. Today's word is

Blustery

Thank goodness that is not a word that can describe the weather here yet and I hope I never have to use it this winter. LOL

Margo

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Good morning ladies! Hope all are having a great day!
    Boy, I sure am not doing good at bingo! One word so far! LOL! But fun playing anyway! I hope everyone has a wonderful day!
    Promise and all those who are ill, my thoughts and prayers are with you all!
    Hugs to all, Melinda

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

I rec'd a lovely card from Shirley today (brittneysgran)! She also sent an ink pen, and believe it or not, I am thrilled. Can't ever seem to hang on to mine or find one when needed! Thanks so much! Melinda

• canfan
    9 years ago

I received a lovely card from Melinda! It showed the a beautifully decorated home with snowflakes bringing added beauty to the peaceful scene. Thank you, Thank you Melinda!

I have addressed and licked the envelopes for my three fellow members. They will go out in the mail tomorrow.

Hooray!! I have matched one word with Bingo. Hoping to increase that number in the coming days??!! perhaps ;)

The family is preparing for Christmas... my son will be here for Christmas!! We are so excited about his time "off" from the Air Force. We will pick him up in Seattle this weekend and for that we are hoping for good weather. It has been in the 40's these past few days... no snow .... yet... hopefully it will remain that way until we make the drive over the pass.

I hope everyone is doing well and that you are enjoying the your days as you prepare for your holiday celebrations.

9 years ago

{{gwi:2132613}}

• smitties
    9 years ago

I received a beautiful card from Shirley today too. It had an ink pen in it and what a great idea! I am always looking for an ink pen. Our kitty, Tenny, loves to play with them and they are forever disappearing. I need to pull the couch and kitchen sideboard out to look for them. If I keep this pen out of her reach, I can wait awhile to do that job. LOL

Thanks Shirley, Margo

• smitties
    9 years ago

Today the Bingo word is
    plowed

So far the following words called have been

INCHES
    SNOWSTORM
    FROZEN
    MELTED
    DRIFTS
    BLUSTERY