Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Incredible Edibles All BEANS Swap!!!! Part 2 Follow Up

bonechickchris
14 years ago

Hello all!

I am still on vacation. THis is the first time I have had to get online. I noticed the original Bean thread is full, so I thought I should start part 2. I have not gotten to my emails yet, so if any of you have tried to contact me, give me a little time to get back to you! Thanks!

Participants

bonechickchris~Christy

dirtdiggin~Toni

booberry85~Becky

sunnyk~Donna

highalttransplant~Bonnie

gardenmom2~Nichol ?????

grymntl~Bruce

tormato~Gary

sugarshane1313~Jim

sassybutterfly 2008~Wendy

dem pa~Don

Daniel aka dirtdiggin Jr.

luvgardening2/Nancy

remy

arroyogardener/Jamie

reynal/Danny

I did recieve Wendy's seeds right before I left town! Zebraman has left the swap, and I still have no answers from gardenmom/Nichol. I assume she is out also.

I will try to check in again! I will be home Friday! Then time to sort all the beans!!!!

Christy

Comments (37)

• tormato
    14 years ago

Christy,

I see one bean (from Part 1) that I'd like to try, Marie Amazilitei's.

Will there be a list to choose from?

Gary

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Gary,
    I don't think there will be a list. Humm... I'm trying to remember what I put in.
    Jeminez(pole)
    Blue Greasy Grit(pole)
    Anasazi Pole
    Jembo Polish(pole)
    Ritz Escoffier(bush, rice)
    Purple Queen(bush)
    Romano Pole
    Christmas Lima
    Insuk's Wang Kong(runner)
    Red and White Fall(pole)
    Regal Salad(bush)

I think that's the list. If you end up wanting anything from my list and don't get it, just send me an email.
    Remy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Guys!

I am home! Already started sorting the beans! I hope to have them back out to you within 10 days.

Gary, can you send me an email? I cannot seem to email you through GW. I will make sure that you get the Marie A. beans! Since there are so many beans, and some I have lots, and some only a few, I do not want to make a list on the forum and have to choose who to give certain beans to and who not to and possibally hurt someone's feelings if I chose someone else to get the beans instead of them. Does that make sence?
    Anyway, Gary, I know you sent me in A LOT for the swap. So please privately email me and I can see what I have that you would like that came in that you do not already have. I will work extra hard to go through the beans for you since you sent in so many for everyone!

Also, anyone who has not updated their trade list, please do with any beans that you would like if I have them. I will be taking the time to look at EVERYONE's Trade List to try and give everyone something they really want. I also will look at wish lists that were sent in with the beans too. I don't just throw beans in an envelope, and really try to make everyone extra happy! :)

For that reason, that is why it may take me 10 days or so to get them back in the mail. But I do not think it will be that bad this time. I did the tomato swap in January with almost 50 participants with thousands of tomato packs and requests and it was insane! LOL! But I got through it, so the bean swap will seem more like a piece of cake to me!

I will keep you all posted! Christy

GARY! Email me!!!!

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi guys!

Just checking in! I am still waiting for a special batch of beans to come in that have some or your requests in them. They should be here in the next day or so.

Gary, are you there? Can you email me?
    Thanks! Christy

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    It got quiet. What happened to all the bean swappers? I wanted to post a link to a recipe that is great for beans. It is an old Italian dish. I do recommend more garlic than the recipe states and some black pepper. You do not have to squeeze out the excess water out of the escarole as stated. Some families make it more soup like and some is more like a side dish. The recipe calls for canellini beans. My family always used Great Northern and/or Roman(Cranberry) beans. Also the recipe says it is optional to add parmesan when serving. I think it is mandatory, lol.
    Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Escarole and Beans aka Beans and Greens

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Thanks Remy! I'm always looking for more ways of using beans. Anybody else out there have some fun bean recipes?

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oooh, Escarole and beans! One of my favorites!!!! Sometimes I like to put little meatballs in it too! That is how my Italian family makes it! Sometimes I even use swisschard if I have it in the garden. Thank you Remy!

I have been busy on all of your envelopes. I thought I would send them all out at once, unless you do not mind me sending them in batches. I just do not want people to be upset in the order that I send them back out, although I would try to send the first senders out first. So you guys let me know what you want.

I also just got another extra batch of beans this weekend, so I was waiting for them and glad they got here!

Yeah, don't get all quite here on me! LOL! It would be great for us all to share some recipes for us to try out are beans with!

I have a recipe for a 3 Bean Cassarole (although it has turned out to be like an 8 bean cassarole over the years! LOL!)
    ANyway, out of all the things I have made my whole life, I would have to say that people want the recipe to this cassarole most, one of the most requested recipes that I have ever made. And with that, and also a bunch of us bean freaks, I am sure it will be yummy to you all!
    The only thing is, is that I am the type of cook that hardly ever measures, I just put it together with my eyes. So, I will have to search to see if I have the original recipe to write down first, unless you guys are like me, and do not need exact measures.

It is really easy too! I will try and find it, if not, I will just write out how I do it!
    Christy

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Hey! I wanted to chime in with a recipe too. Here's my favorite bean soup recipe.

Bean Soup

I love bean soup. You can alter the recipe to suit your tastes or for what you have on hand. This can be made in a stock pot or thrown into a crock pot. Serves 6-8.

Ingredients

2 cups mixed dried beans (any combination of great northern, navy, black, pinto, red beans, lentils, garbanzo and or split green pea)
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 quarts water (8 cups)
    2 cups diced ham, kielbasa, or other smoked sausage
    1 large onion, diced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 celery stalks, diced
    1 large carrot, peeled and diced
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 - 28 oz can tomatoes, diced
    1-2 tablespoons lemon juice

Rinse beans, place in a large pot and cover with water and soak overnight. Remove any floater beans. Drain. Add two quarts of water again and simmer for 2 hours. Remove ½ cup beans and mash; return to pot. Add onion, garlic, celery and carrot and simmer for another hour. Add ham or sausage, tomatoes, chili powder, salt and lemon juice and simmer for another ½ hour.

Hope you like it!

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Mmmmmm, Becky Beany Soup... I love bean soup!! I make a baked bean soup , but since I am a green bean grower....I use canned Baked Beans in my soup LOL!! And I am like Christy...unless I am baking something like cake or bread I rarely use a recipe.

I do sauteed green beans like this:

Saute as many green beans as you can eat in a little olive oil....add as much mined garlic as you like and let both the beans and garlic get a little brown on them....sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste...add a hint of crushed red pepper...and finish with a drizzle of really good Balsamic vinegar....yum!

Ok, so not really a recipe, but I wanted to play too...LOL!!!

• grymntl
    14 years ago

Ok, I guess I can wait so more for my beans to arrive... not like I can really plant them this week anyway. B) Indoor bean growers beware. B)

OK, this recipe was quiet tasty, but I tend to add a little more hot peppers to the mix, oh and I almost never actually soak slow cooked beans, they may take an extra half hour to cook, but I don't have to chop the firewood. (Sub with any bean of course, I like this one with half Great Northern and half Black Turtle Beans.)

Ingredients

* 1 pound dried Great Northern beans
    * 1 pound bacon, chopped
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 2 jalapenos, chopped
    * 1/4 cup tomato paste
    * 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    * 1/4 cup molasses
    * Vegetable broth
    * 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1 teaspoon black pepper
    * 2 teaspoons kosher salt

Directions

Heat oven to 250 degrees F.

Soak beans in a plastic container overnight in just enough cold water to submerge them completely.

Place a cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat and stir in the bacon, onion, and jalapenos until enough fat has rendered from the bacon to soften the onions, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, dark brown sugar, and molasses.

Drain the beans and reserve the soaking liquid. Add the drained beans to the Dutch oven. Place the soaking liquid in a measuring cup and add enough vegetable broth to equal 4 cups of liquid. Add the liquid to the Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Add in cayenne, black pepper and salt. Give them a stir and cover with the lid. Place the Dutch oven in the oven for 6 to 8 hours, or until the beans are tender.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Guys!

Just checking in! Thank you so much for giving me the time I have been taking here. The only reason why I take a while to do these is because I take the time to go through every single one of your trade lists. If you were in my tomato swap, you know that I spend good amount of time on each person's envelope individually, as I do not just throw beans in an envelope and call it a day.

So please know that I am working hard, and that the time I am taking is a good thing for you! I just wanted you all to know that, because I know that I have been working on them longer than I originally thought.

They will be all done within the week!

Thanks guys! Christy

• booberry85
    14 years ago

This is an old thread but a goodie. It has all sorts of legume recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Legume Recipes

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've gone MIA. We had a recent death in the family (my uncle) from cancer and I had another uncle that just underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor. It was a success thank God, and he's home healing now. Then another close person to our family was given 1-3wks left to live and is now in hospice... so it has been a month of up and downs for us. But we plan to get together this week over Thanksgiving and give thanks to our health and prayers for those that need it.

The recipes up above all sound wonderful. Remy I just might add yours to the Thanksgiving lineup!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday week and bellies full of turkey! (and beans..lol)

hugs everyone,
    Wendy / sassyb..

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Wendy, my deepest sympathies for you and your family. Hope Thanksgiving can fill you and your family's hearts with peace.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Wendy, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Last year, between October and December, we lost my father, and two of his remaining brothers. Needless to say, the holidays were pretty tough last year. The swaps here on GW really helped take my mind off of things though, and I made a lot of new friends, for which I am thankful for.

I know this is OT, but just wanted to encourage you guys to join the Color of the Month Swap. It is orange this month, and there are plenty of orange edibles, so even if you don't care for orange flowers, you could still participate. It was nice of Penny to revive those swaps, and I hope some of you will join.

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss Wendy...I know how hard it is to lose a loved one.

My Father passed 2 years ago at a fairly young age due to Myelodysplasia...and my MIL is now in Hospice in the final stage of Alzheimer's. The holidays can be especially hard.

I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts...I hope you have a healing Holiday.

And thank you Christy for doing such an awesome job for us!!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Wendy, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope your holidays can be a healing time for you and your family. Losing loved ones is so difficult and especially during the holidays. Take care.

Toni

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard that is, especially around the holidays.

If people do not mind, I will probably get most of the envelopes out, except for the big batch guys, like Gary and Toni and whoever else sent in LOTS. I have been taking more time with those, trying to find beans that you do not have already! LOL!
    So, I should have most out in the next day or so. I figure I would do it that way, instead of making everyone wait until the last envelope is done. So if you do not mind, I will send out the envies that I have had done already!I will post the ones that are going out too.

The end will be soon! I promise! LOL! I know that there is no rush to get beans in the ground at this time of year, but I still want to THANK YOU you all for letting me take more time to gets these done!
    Christy

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

No problem Christy...we all know you'll make it a wonderful ending :)

Hope things have wound down a bit for you. We'll be off to the final weekend of our last show of the year on Friday, so we're home for a short time and off again lol. Looks like I'll have a few items coming in around the same time...OH and it won't just feel like Christmas, it WILL be Christmas lol. It's so exciting awaiting the little packaged treasures...lol.

Thanks so much for your hard work :)

Toni

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

U R welcome!

I was just working on beans all night until now, 3AM! LOL!

I had Thanksgiving at my house this year, so I had to haul out my nice spread of beans to make room for 14 people and kids to eat!LOL! So I have them all out and about again after having to pack them up again for the holiday!!LOL!

I knew it would be easier than the mass tomato swap I did since there are only a fraction of the participants, but what I did not realize is that it takes up just as much room,even more since beans are so much bigger than tomato seeds! LOL!

BTWOK! Well, I better get some shut-eye, I will post whose envies will go out tomorrow !
    Christy

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Sad to see the swap end? Me too! Fortunately, Christy has sign ups for another swap going on right now! Take a look at the Heat Miser / Snow Miser Fire & Ice Swap!

Christy, I hope you're still snoozing! Thanks for all your hard work.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi guys!

Ok! These beans are going out in the AM for the following bean lovers!

Don
    Bruce
    Jim Powers
    Jamie
    Remy
    Bonnie
    Danny

Don, since you paid extra for delivery confirmation, I will post the number here for you when I get it from the PO tomorrow.

Everyone else, do not worry! I am working feverishly as we speak to get your envies finalized too!

Christy

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Please add to the list of beans that are going out:

Donna
    Wendy

Dont worry if you were on the list last post and did not get your beans yet. They went out a day later or so because my son was sick from school the day they were suppose to go out (yeah, I know, always something with me! LOL!)

Except for Gary, Toni, and Becky, I think everyone's beans are out, right? Let me know if you did not see your name on the outlist!

Also, when you receive your beans, PLEASE let me know you got them! I spent sooooooo many hours on these, and I all I want is to know that they did make it to you and if you are happy or not with them :)

Christy

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Oh cool!! I am so excited!! It is like an early Christmas...only better because at least I know I am getting something I will really love and use and enjoy totally !!
    Thank you so much for putting so much time and effort into this....and I hope your son is feeling better :)

Donna

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today. What a great variety. I think I need another acre to plant all of them. Thanks to all of you who shared their seeds and thanks to a great hostess. I hope we do this again next year.

Don (dem_pa)

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Wow...got my beans today....and holy moly what a selection!! Thank you so much Christy for going overboard :)

...and thank you too Nancy for adding in my wish beans :)

It's going to take me forever to research them all, I cant wait to get started....I wish I had room enough in my yard to grow them all out next season.

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    I received my seeds today! Thank you all for the great selection! And thanks again Christy for all the work you did.
    Remy

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I got my package today, and as usual Christy has outdone herself! Great selection of new to me things. Thanks also to Nancy for helping to fill some of my bean wishes. You guys are awesome!!!

Bonnie

• tormato
    14 years ago

Now that people are starting to receive their beans, it's time to mention bean weevils. Hopefully, none of us have traded any of these. :)

Placing the beans for 48 hours in the freezer, in an airtight container, is the way to go. Then let them warm to room temp in the still closed container, to avoid condensation.

Gary

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am so glad that everyone has liked what they got so far!

Now, I just have to find some more seeds for Gary! LOL! Thanks again to Gary for sending in so many beans! You really helped everyone to gets beans they really wanted!

Gary, are there any other veggies or anything seed wise that you can think of that you really want? PLEASE let me know! I am going to be putting in a seed order soon somewhere and I would really like to get you something special. Please email me some ideas!

Christy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

I received my new 2010 Baker Creek heirloom seed catalog today and have been droooooling over it! I can't wait to see if I receive any of the beans I've marked in my catalog lol

Hope all is well w/ everyone!
    Hugs,
    Wendy / sassyb...

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Where the heck are my catalogs? I have not gotten any yet!

Yeah Wendy, wait until you get your beans because I know I gave you a lot of your wants. You should have it any day now!

So does Baker Creek have the Papa Rola (sp?) and Rams Horn back in stock? I really wanted them

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

oh goody goody!! :D didn't come today.. maybe by the wkend lol

Christy ~ Baker's has the Papa de Rola (I marked that one too lol) it's $3.00 for a pkt of 40-60 seeds depending on size. Sadly I don't see the Ram's Horn but I know I found that one somewhere recently... I'll look thru my notes and let ya know.

Take care,
    Wendy / sassyb...

• tormato
    14 years ago

Christy,

Something special?

I think the beans are going to be special enough. It will probably take me two or three years to try them all. :)

Gary

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Is Pretzel bean the same as Ram's Horn? If so, I found a source with a reasonable price and a nice quantity. Only found like 3 suppliers of Ram's Horn all out of stock or mail payment and wait....and I'll not pay over $3.00 for 5 seeds sorry lol.

• tormato
    14 years ago

Pretzel bean and Ram's Horn are the same.

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Thanks tormato :)