Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nettasaura

NEW: Victoriana Garden & Craft Robin...Join Us Please!!!

nettasaura
17 years ago

Hey everybody! I would like to host a new robin.

Rules:

1).This will be a flat rate priority box ($8.10) that will travel from person to person. Delivery Confirmation will also be a must.

2).You must include seeds for authentic Victorian flowers, which in those days all had a language of their own, plus one or more handmade Victorian crafts.

3). Follow the links to these websites for lists of Victorian flowers and their unique language. I'm sure there are many more sites, but these two were comprehensive enough for my purpose.

Language of Flowers

Victorian Language of Flowers

4). I will start the Robin with 75 packs of seeds and some Victorian crafts.

5).You can remove as many packets of seeds as you like as long as you replace them with the same number of packs or more. You can also remove as many crafted items as you like as long as you replace them with the same amount or more.

6). Your trade packs don't need to be stuffed. They can be commercial, collected, or extra from trades. Most of mine will have the standard 25 seeds....more for smaller seeds, a few less for larger seeds.

7). Your Victorian crafts must be handmade, but they need not be large (they need to fit in the box). Think ornate, elegant, opulent, overtly feminine and/or masculine! You need not spend a lot of money on these crafts, just be creative with your materials.

8). When you post here please post your three favorite colors, your favorite metallic accent color (silver, gold, or copper), your favorite flower, favorite animal, favorite season (spring, summer, fall, or winter), and anything else you think might be relevant for crafting inspiration.

9). Please send me your address through private email! I can't wait to hear from you!

10). I am looking for a maximum of 20 players. Signups will run either until we reach 20 players or until Christmas Eve, December 24th (which ever comes first). The Robin will fly on January 2.

Thanks for playing!

Netta

Comments (69)

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

For ideas, try free catalogs like those available from Victorian Trading Company. I didn't know they had five different ones and just ordered the home and apparel ones in addition to the regular company catalog I already receive. As I find more sources of inspiration, I will post them to help anybody who may be struggling. And if you find anything good...feel free to post here also.

For crochet, check out Celt's Vintage Crochet and Antique Crochet. Also check out Craft Town's Victorian Crafting Links.

Have fun ladies!

• jselwa
    17 years ago

Netta, count me in for this one - sounds fun! I think you have my addy already. How old are your little ones? I'm a SAHM with a 5 year old in pm kindergarten and a 16 month old. - Jenifer

Three favorite colors - blue, olive green, burgundy
    Your favorite metallic accent color - copper
    Your favorite flower - peony, rose, zinnia
    Favorite animal - Cat or Bird
    Favorite season - fall & spring
    Anything else you think might be relevant for crafting inspiration - I love lighthouses and am a part-time pro photographer.

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Jennifer....2 1/2 and 4 year old boys...rambunctious as all get out....it's a miracle that my house is still standing!!! LOL

Anyway welcome and have fun! I still have your addy.

FABRAHOLIC216 - I still need your address. Haven't heard from you through email either.

IMPORTANT: Since this isn't a secret swap of any sort....feel free to post your ideas and projects that you are working on here...if you are having difficulty at all, I am sure that between all of us we can help feed each other with ideas....if we end up with 20 players, I do believe I will have more than enough product to split the Robin into two separate boxes. We'll just have to wait and see on that one though....depends on how many people sign up.

Right now I am working on a handpainted wood tray, some small crocheted doilies, and some bracelets and earrings...

We would all love to hear what you are working on too!

Netta

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

HI,
    I forgot to post my list, soooo, here goes...

My three favorite colors are pink/rose...royal blue...turquoise/aqua
    Metallic accent is gold. (silver if with royal blue)
    Favorite flower is daylily or iris
    Favorite animal is a bird
    Favorite season(s) is Winter & Spring.
    I LOVE anything Christmas(decorate in every room, so have to agree with Netta, I too am a Christmasaholic), and I craft/sew almost constantly.

Have TONS of seeds to share. Haven't started anything yet, but I have lots of ideas. Will get moving on them next week.And post them and progress reports.

Debbya,
    Whereabouts in Chicago are you? My oldest son lives in Mount prospect.

Jo/juspeachy

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Hello all,

I'm a SAHM too, home schooling. Our son is 8, our daughter is 4 1/2. Busy, busy!

I'm going to make a couple miniature Victorian teddy bears for the box (maybe 3 if I'm on a roll). I haven't decided on another craft to include - we'll see what strikes my fancy. Seeds are the easy part.

Laurel

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I also have plans for some wall plaquettes, soft and silky crochet slippers, tassle pairs, and some embellished tip towels.

Lots more ideas to come!
    Netta

• jselwa
    17 years ago

I'm going to try my hand at some homemade stationary with some integrated dried flowers from my garden this summer - might also toss in a few suncatchers...

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Morning everyone,

Netta,
    Never found either of those wonderful mags you spoke of, I have looked everywhere here.
    BUT, I did find 3 wonderful books at JoAnn Fabrics. They have all the pictures of hundreds of different victorian prints, postcards, and little bits and pieces. They come with a CD, so you can put it in your computer, and print out any of them. I used a coupon on each one, and got them for about $7 each. They are awesome. So, I will be including in the box several things made with these. Thought i might do some postcards, maybe some seed/flower markers, and a few authentic looking Christmas ornaments.
    You can print any of them on paper or on fabric,so I could even do a wall plaque if time permits.
    gotta run,
    have a great day,

Jo/juspeachy

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You know I am totally bummed....I can't find those mags either now....I got the summer one at Top Foods and they have carried them for the last few years....but now I can't find the Christmas edition anywhere. I wanna cry....they are the best mags on the planet...and no joke there either.

WAAAAAAA!

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Jo...saw those books last night on my little trip to JoAnn's....waiting till this weekend when I can use my 50% off coupons!

So ladies....I have one doily and two bracelets completed!

Netta

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Add four pairs of earrings to the tally!

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I picked up some more ornaments to paint, nice detailed wreath-shaped ones. (I'm a glutton for punishment, LOL, but I really find it relaxing.) So I'll have a couple teddy bears and a handful of ornaments for the box, at the very least.

I've been inspired to check out a book on Victorian gardens from the library - a very nice read with lots of photos. It's been very interesting. Then my son and I went on a field trip to a Victorian mansion museum locally yesterday, and I got a fresh dose of inspiration from that.
    My only disappointment there was all the FAKE ferns and plants around the house. The gardener in me was quite disappointed, especially in the old conservatory -- all that sun, and nothing ALIVE. Phooey.

Laurel

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I'm so excited about this swap! I'm working on so many projects at once! My craft table is overloaded with ribbons, birds, beads, paint, soap items, all ready when needed!
    I purchased an unfinished wooden birdhouse, painted it, and already started to embellish it.
    I'm also curing some hand poured Angel soaps (vanilla/lavender) in many colors- lavender, seafoam, peach, blue. I'm also working on glass heart ornaments with clay flowers, lots of ribbons.. tons of ideas!
    I love teddy bears (especially handmade) so I'm working on two Victorian teddies for this box. I purchased a doily, dyed it in 'tea' for an antique look, purchased silk roses and will hand sew a collar with silk roses around each bears neck. I also purchased some really bold colored glass ornaments (the deep reds, blues) to add clay flowers/ribbons to. I'm also working on a couple of mini wreaths (birds/nests, ribbons). I have several more ideas, and will post more when I have a chance.

Deb

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I picked up some floral fabrics and plan on making aome gardening aprons and also some socks that I will embellish with crocheted lace. The crochet slippers aren't going to pan out the way I had hoped, so I am scratching those in favor of the ultra feminine socks! I also purchased the fringe for the tassels and can't wait to get started on them.

Netta

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Netta,
    Got my snail mail yesterday. THANK YOU!! Love the extras. You are awesome!

I do sculpture, so I will be making fancy little picks to go in plant pots, and some pot perchers as well. I am still mulling over a couple of other ideas as well. I will have to figure out how to do what I want first though.

have a great evening,
    Jo

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Jo...picked up the Birds & Butterflies book of those vintage scrap art ones you were talking about...good grief there are only like 10 in the series and I want them all...LOL...but will have to constrain myself to Fairies & Angels, and the Frames & Borders books.
    Netta

PS...need to stop running to JoAnn's every five minutes...think DH is about to have a hissy fit!!! ROFL!!

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

THEY HAVE FAIRIES & ANGELS AND BIRDS & BUTTERFLIES???????

EGADS!!! I NEED TO GO BACK AND SEE IF WE HAVE THOSE!!

I didn't see them when I got the others.

DANG!!

I will have to keep an eye out for them.
    thanks,

Jo

• laurelin
    17 years ago

My daughter is having a prolonged high-volume 4-year-old hissy snit right now - I think after she's in bed tonight (EARLY!!) I'll put in a looooong DVD and sit up and paint ornaments for a while. (At the rate she's having snits and early bedtimes right now, there might be A LOT of ornaments in the box after it leaves my door, LOL!)

Laurel

• laurelin
    17 years ago

I sat up and cut out teddy bears instead - less fine detail and concentration needed, LOL. Very peaceful. I started sewing them last night.

Laurel

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Got the tray basecoated....will be working on the tassels today and maybe starting another doily this afternoon! Also picked up some things last weekend to make some miniature victorian shadow boxes...can't wait to get started on these! After I get done with all of these things, I will have to see how much room is left in the box before I make any decisions on other crafts!

Netta

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Netta,
    The miniature Victorian shadow box sounds really neat! I would love to hear more about that project.

I'm working on a heart shaped Victorian wreath today. It's made of a material similar to wicker. The temperatures are mild, near 50* today, so was able to spraypaint outside. The wreath is cream, and I'm not sure on the flower choices yet. But, am leaning toward a Christmas wreath, with poinsettias.

Deb

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You know those clear plastic ornaments that you can get at the craft store...the kind that have two halves that snap together....well I bought the biggest size (100 mm I think)and I am going to use each half separately either inside of a frame or on a wood plaque (personally I think the frame would look better). Inside of each half bubble I am going to create a miniature vignette or landscape of sorts, epoxy the plastic bubble over the vignette, and embellish around the base of the plastic with braid and other trims! Viola! Art that should last a lifetime. Can already see them in my head and am going to have to make some for myself!

Netta

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Hi,
    Netta won't be online for a few days, possibly 4-5. Netta's area was hit by severe wind storms that knocked out the electricity.

Deb

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up, Deb. I hope Netta and her family are okay.

Laurel

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Hi Deb,
    I wondered about that when I saw the reports. I have a wonderful friend that also lives out there. I have not heard from her. She is quite elderly. I do hope she is ok too.I also hope they do not have too much damage.
    thanks for letting us know.

Jo

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey ladies....I'm back and fine! Got the power back on a little over an hour ago and just had to take a shower since I haven't had one in three days....feeling human now! Glad to see that things are going well here!
    Netta

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Jo....here is the official list from the Publisher of the Memories of a Lifetime Series Books.
    Book List
    I bought the Fairies and Angels one yesterday! I haven't seen the Christmas one at our store, but I will keep my eyes open.

Before and during the power outage I managed to finish my painted wood tray and three pairs of socks. I bought some more supplies to make the mini shadow boxes, the tassels are in mid construction, and I have supplies to make refrigerator marble magnets.

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Deb, those decorated glass ornaments sound lovely, especially in the jewel tones. Where did you find the glass "blanks" to decorate?

I've cut out a handful of bears; we'll see how many will fit into the traveling box. Fortunately, they're light weight and squishable, and about the size of the average beanie baby. I'm making one for my 4 year old daughter right now - she saw me cutting them out, and she asked for one for Christmas. She picked out a most un-Victorian fabric, a melange of pink and purple toned swirls. This will be one wild-looking little bear!

Netta, should we pack our crafts in individual ziploc-type bags or some other clear wrapping? This is my first round-robin. I want to make sure my crafts travel safely on their way, and I don't know if there's a "protocol" I'm missing here.

Laurel

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurel - good question! You can place your items in individual plastic baggies if you choose, most especially if there are things that are sets like my tassel pairs, socks, and magnet sets. I am placing everything that will fit in a baggie in one, with the exception of the jewelry which I actually purchased those little white jewelry boxes for and the painted tray which is too large for a bag. Everything else is being placed in a baggie simply to protect the finish or in case of the doilies to potect the stitching from getting caught on anything.

Anybody that might be making breakable items might want to consider wrapping them in bubble wrap (just make sure they are easy to get into as people will have to unwrap to get a look at them)....and if by the time the box gets to you and is beat up and has lost some of it's stability you might want to consider getting a brand new box from the PO since the Priority boxes are free!

Heavy items should be carefully packed so they won't damage or break other items...even go so far as to tape these items to the inside of the box to keep them from moving around. Hope that answers your question!

Netta

• juspeachy
    17 years ago

Netta,
    thanks for the website, I have it bookmarked. I see several I "NEED"!!!. (grinZ)

I have the tassels and hearts on my white tree, they are just gorgeous there. I took a pic, but you can barely see the pink lights, so it loses a lot of its ambiance.

Well, off to work,
    Have a great day everyone,
    Jo

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Thanks, Netta - that was exactly what I needed to know. I don't have anything heavy, but I'll put the ornaments in bubble wrap just to be safe. The bears just fit in a 1 qt. ziploc, so that works out fine.

Laurel

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Laurel,
    I found the miniature ornaments at Michaels. I didn't handpaint the ornaments, I only embellished the gold rims with a clay flower, tacked it on with hot glue.
    I have them sitting in the original plastic tray they came in.

Netta,
    What did you use to make the gold accent on Jo's ornaments? A gold pen? Or paint/brush?
    I'm debating if I should attempt to hand paint these.

Here's a pic..

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deb...I used Liquid Gold Leaf and a paintbrush with the skinniest wood or plastic handle you can find....the very end of the handle needs to be smooth and round....dip in the liquid gold leaf, touch and drag and it gives you different shaped tear drops and lines depending on how you move the handle. Just use this stuff with a fan going or you will get a massive size headache....and make sure it is completely dry before varnishing or it will run!

Hope this helps!

Netta

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Netta,
    Thanks for the tips. I don't tolerate smell well, I usually get a headache (and gaggy) from any smell that's overpowering- cleaners, gas, turpentine (brush cleaners), etc.

Hmm? Have you ever used the gold pen? Or that wouldn't give the same bold effect?

Deb

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Deb...I have no idea if the pen would work or not (don't have one). And if I remember right, I think the pen smells worse than the Liquid Gold Leaf. If you can find a fine tipped one and can work fast, you would probably get fabulous results!

Or you could try using regular gold leaf....do the touch and drag with the gold leaf size (adhesive) and then carefully apply the gold leaf with a very soft brush so you don't scratch the glass. But I would practice that one on something else before risking one of your ornaments.

Or even better...using gold leaf sizing (adhesive) do the touch and drag, then sprinkle fine gold glitter over the ornament....personally I think this one would look really nice. The gold leaf size is a standard I use when applying glitters to my faberge eggs.

Netta

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just posted on the fiber arts exchange to see if anyone has any of the Annie's Attic Calendar Bed Doll patterns and would be willing to share. 1993 was the Victorian Series and they are all gorgeous. And I found a website that shows pics of the series from 1991-1999.
    Annie's Attic Bed Doll Society
    I have no idea what 2000-today looks like, but they are all probably drop dead gorgeous. Cross your fingers for me and hope that someone has at least one pattern I can play with!

And MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody!

Netta

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas, everyone! My brain is toast, and I just posted this on Netta's other Victorian craft exchange. Oops!

Here's a cute Christmas musical cartoon, shared by Donn on the WS forum last week. Turn up the volume and click play. My kids think I'm weird to enjoy this simple little cartoon so much, but I don't mind.

I've finished several painted ornaments and one teddy bear for the box, so far. I'd like to finish another bear or two, and perhaps another ornament or two. I can hardly wait to see what flies my way when the robin takes off. . . .

Merry Christmas!

Laurel

Here is a link that might be useful: neat little Christmas music cartoon

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Deb

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Signups for this Robin are officially closed!

So here is our small and congenial player list:

NETTASAURA
    DEBBYA
    DRIPPY
    LAURELIN
    JUSPEACHY
    SANDLAPPER_ROSE
    FABRAHOLIC216
    JSELWA

Now while signups are closed, I am going to extend the initial send out date for the robin until January 8th. I am doing this because with Christmas I have lost focus on the crafts for this Robin....and I am pretty sure that at least a few others of our group might appreciate the extra week since a few were concerned about not having enough time to complete things.

So please enjoy your Christmas and I will check back in a few days!

Netta

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Merry Christmas! Yes, the extra week for crafting will be nice. I hope you all have a great holiday.

(My kids were up WAAAAAY early today, so we're already done with the gift opening and clean up, and the first round of cookies for breakfast. We've had a very Norman Rockwell kind of holiday, except for the total lack of snow, which may yet arrive tonight.)

Laurel

• drippy
    17 years ago

Yes, I like the extra week idea, too! Hope you all are having a great holiday season - two more parties to go for me, then it's gardening season full swing.

• jselwa
    17 years ago

Extra week is great - been working on my newest indoor hobby - the BEAD bug has bittin HARD, LOL! Can't wait for this unique RR! - Jen

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

I can't wait for this to start! I have all of my crafts ready! So, I'm excited! Laurel's bears, Jen's beads, Netta's fabulous crafts, how big is this box going to be?! ;)
    I should mention what I have ready.. 2 bears with ribbons, clay flowers around the neck, handpoured "Angel" soaps, heart shaped wicker wreath, several glass ornaments with clay flowers, several clear heart ornaments embellished with birds, flowers, grapevine wreath ornament embellished gold/ribbons/flowers, heavy small (tealight)glass candle holder embellished with clay flowers, cute wooden white birdhouse with 2 birds (in a nest) perching on top embellished with ivy, mosses.

• fabraholic216
    17 years ago

I like the extra week as well. I'm working on hand embroidered sachets with antique lace. Hope everyone likes them. I may make something else as well. Thanks for hosting this swap! I'm sooo excited too!
    Hugs,
    Stephanie

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Wishing everyone a safe, healthy HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So....I had all these great ideas, only to find out that I am only going to be able to fit so much in the box....with some creative packing I am hoping to get quite a bit of it in there, but we'll see....still making stuff.

Here's what I have done so far:
    Painted wood tray, 2 bracelets, 4 pairs of earrings, 3 pairs of crochet embellished socks, 3 small doilies....

And part way through construction are:
    2 mini shadow boxes, 4 tassel pairs, 3 wall plaquettes....

And still have all the supplies for some other things that I was hoping to make, but I will have too see how much room I have left in the box! I would upgrade the box to a bigger size, but the postage would be exhorbitant due to how much it weighs already!

Netta

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Finished the wall plaquettes...totally cute...gonna have to make some for me! Working on the tassels....

• laurelin
    17 years ago

Looks like I'll have three bears and a handful of ornaments for the box. Good thing the bears are squishable, light and small!

Now my 8 year old SON wants a bear of his own, after watching me make them for his sister, his cousin, and for the gift swaps. I told him he'd have to wait until I finished the last one for the RR, then I'd make him one out of fabric left over from his quilt.

Laurel

• nettasaura
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Juspeachy has asked to drop out of our Robin due to personal reasons, but has assured me that she will be back later this year for more fun!

So our player list now:
    NETTASAURA
    DEBBYA
    DRIPPY
    LAURELIN
    SANDLAPPER_ROSE
    JSELWA
    FABRAHOLIC216

Everything is almost ready to go...look for the update thread tomorrow!

• Debra Andruska
    17 years ago

Netta,
    I'll be watching for the updated thread! Can't wait to see where the box will be headed! :)

Deb