Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

NEW: Nth (?) Annual Theme Garden Swap

drippy
13 years ago

It's that time again! I've lost track of how many years this has been going on, and St. Sandlapper Rose took over for me two years ago when my moving craziness was at its max (someday I will write a book on how NOT to move). This truly is going to be my last year at this, as I feel it's time for me to move on to other things. So, let's make it a good one! I hope you veteran players are watching, as I've no time to send out personal emails this year, and new players, come join the fun!

Here's a little background for newcomers: What is a theme garden? It is, essentially, any garden designed around any kind of theme. A vegetable garden is a theme garden, so is an herb garden. Popular theme gardens include Moon Garden (all white), Fairy Garden (dwarf plants or plants where faeries can live), Everlastings (flowers/plants that dry well). It can be a garden of a single color, or a garden defined by environmental conditions, such as shade garden or bog garden. It can be anything you dream up, from Pasta Garden to Shoes Garden. The seeds people send you will be those matched to your theme.

Time frame: I will take sign-ups through December 29, but I reserve the right to close sign-ups earlier if participation reaches 100. Gather your seeds together as you see other people's postings. Please note that I will not be sending my address out to anyone before December 30, as I cannot receive any seeds before that time. Post seeds to me no later than January 10. I anticipate having them back in the mail to you by January 31, still in time for winter sowing in most areas.

Post your name on this thread, and the themes of your theme gardens. Please limit the number of themes you are posting to 5. I will send you an acknowledging email (be sure your GW email is unblocked, and if you have a sensitive spam filter, be sure to check your spam folder). I have extensive holiday plans, so please be patient - I may not be able to acknowledge your posting for several days, but you WILL hear from me by December 31. Please note that this is not a wish list swap - you may mention particular seeds you'd like that would fit your theme, but there's no guarantee you will get them.

How to play: After posting your interest and the theme gardens you are collecting seeds for, gather seeds to send in for the swap. Due to some issues that arose last year, I need to be a little clearer on rules. The swap limit is 100 packs - anything above this amount will be considered seeds you are giving away. Please do not send more than 5 of any variety. Also, I got some really old seeds from some people last year, and must request that you send seeds that are no older than those packed for the 2008 growing season, and only if they have been well-stored, and you know they are not a short viable (delphinium family, aconitums, and alliums, and many others, fall into the short viable group). I can't stress this enough: newer is better. You may send seeds collected from your garden, or extra commercial seeds, or extra seeds received from a trade.

Seed pack amounts - I'm not terribly picky about this. Use the Golden Rule, and spare what you can. I am going to assume that if you only send in 5 seeds of a particular variety that you scoured your stash to meet someone's needs and that's all you can spare. Trust my judgment on working things out - I will ask my fellow veteran swap hosts for advice if I need it; everyone I've dealt with at GW has been very helpful.

You can package your seeds two ways: (1) earmarked for a particular player's theme(s) - to do this, please put the individual packets in a ziplock baggie with the player's name on the ziplock baggie only. This helps if I have to do any redistribution. For the most part, whatever is earmarked for a player's theme(s) will go directly to them, unless multiples of the same seed variety are received. This is the easiest method of packaging for me (2) packaged by theme, and let me decide whose bag they go in.

My work is way, way easier if you also send in a list of the seeds you are sending in. It is also easier if you have your GW name on your seed packs, although that is not absolutely necessary.

A note about "inside trading": Although this is not a wish list swap, if you are so inclined, update your haves/wants list, or you may post to the general thread any seeds you'd like to share that don't necessarily fit the themes. If you arrange a particular seed trade with a participant, please clearly mark that it is an inside trade when you send your seeds in, and I will be 100% certain those seeds go to that person. Inside trading has been a big hit in the past.

Postage: I do not return extra postage or cash; I "pay it forward" to another swap host, so your best bet is to get postage as close as possible to what it costs to send your packet. Please do not send metered postage; the post office won't take it. I really prefer stamps to cash, too.

One final note, for now - in the past, I have contributed a great many of my own seeds to this swap, but a combination of puny gardening season and participation in some other swaps I enjoy makes it so that I don't have a ton of seeds to contribute to this swap. Please don't send a lot to me personally (and nothing is okay!) - I will just have to redistribute it. I'm sure I will still enjoy hosting this. I do not need hostess gifts - I always get some great seeds out of this.

A final, final, note: Be creative! I always get a good laugh, that lasts past that swap's year, out of some of the choices. Here's an example - one year, one person sent in a whole packet of dog-themed seeds - it included cynoglossum (hound's tooth) and foxglove (for the dog to chase, right?) among other things. Another person sent me, for my astrology/ astronomy themed garden, Lettuce, Cos(mos?).

I think that's about it for now - feel free to email me (my GW email is good), or post any questions here.

Let the fun begin!

Comments (141)

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My seeds are on their way. Hope everyone has a great year.
    Thank you Kim for hosting.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

I have a lot of seeds ready but am waiting another day or two for seeds that I have ordered and want to share.
    With the exception of a few veggies, I only ever use a few seeds out of any pack so I like to be able to share them.
    Bethb

• sandlapper_rose
    13 years ago

My seeds are all packed up and ready to go. I will get them to the post office either later today or tomorrow.
    Thanks for being our hostess!
    Jeanne

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here they come! Nice fat packs from Poisondartfrog and Jaynine today. It was raining cats & dogs in Huntsville today (at least not birds! How sad was that?) - I met the postal carrier at the door so the seeds wouldn't get wet. On our way, folks!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Good Morning All,

My seeds will go out tomorrow, I have had a hard time packing up due to some neck issues.

Kim, I sent you an email the other day...I not only put the name of the player but what garden theme it was for on every one of the 50 some packets that I have ready to go out. I guess I mixed up the rules of this swap and the wlomwls.. I can't even re pack, my neck is not good these days. I can pack the rest properly but wanted to know if I should just not send in the ones that are labeled incorrectly.They have name of player,seed enclosed,year of seed, my gw name and theme that it was meant for...

I'll wait to hear from you.

Thanks,
    Lisa

• alwaysagarden
    13 years ago

Hi Kim,
    Just to let you know my seeds were mailed on the 4th.

Cindy

• buturfliis_mom
    13 years ago

I mailed my seeds out last night. Yipppeee... This was fun. It took more time than I expected but I enjoyed it. I couldn't help envisioning these gardens with these themes and it got my creativity going in my own garden plan. Thanks Kim for doing this swap. I included two sets of stamps inside as I decided that I should send "more than enough postage", rather than cutting it close.

• siichan
    13 years ago

I mailed mine this morning. Hope you get them soon! Thank you for hosting this swap, Kim!

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lisa (ishareflowers), sent you an email.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bonanza! Today I received seeds from: Flowergirl34, Lroper2008, Alwaysagarden (I think), Jensyen, Jshipway, Beauswatch, Sandysgardens, and a person who asked to be a donor only.

A lotta seeds here!

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have started to go through a couple of the packages sent in. I genuinely hope I have to do very little redistribution - NOT because of any additional work, but you all (at least, all I've seen so far) have taken such great care in your choices & packaging. With any sort of luck, it will work out so that you get all of what was sent in for you.

• sandysgardens
    13 years ago

Kim

I'm picturing a good size mountain of seeds that you're playing in! Sounds like everyone has/is doing a GREAT job in packaging their seeds for you. It's still a HUGE undertaking on your behalf (have been there) and it's GREATLY appreciated by all of us.

Sandy

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

New arrivals today from Micyrey & Sandlapper Rose - woohoo!

• suecirish
    13 years ago

Mailed my package this morning and they said it should arrive Monday or Tuesday. We certainly do appreciate your taking this on. I'm looking forward to my returns.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

11 out of 26 are here (the kids' are included with their Mom's packages, & my seeds are, of course, here already).

Do not be surprised if I don't get anything for the next couple of days. Northern Alabama/Southern Tennessee area is expecting 3-6 inches of snow Sunday night into Monday. That's enough to shut things down here for a couple of days (if it actually happens).

On the other hand, when I was back in Massachusetts a week or two ago, 24 inches of snow fell one day & the roads were cleared by the next morning. The southerners just don't expect winter weather here!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Dropped my seeds at the post office this evening....should be there by wednesday or thursday

Lisa

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

mine are there already, I just sent friday
    wish they could all be that fast
    thanks
    michelle

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I am SO excited to see what people have sent in! This is, by far, one of my favorite swaps to join in!!!

Drippy ~ I sent my pkg by priority mail yesterday..lol. I didn't even think about the snow. (I'm in GA and you know how everything STOPS at even the prospect of snow! lol) Ah well, at least the seeds will have already been cold stratified! :P

If we could manage to pull it together, later in the season, it'd be fun to post pics of our theme gardens with some of our seeds flowering from this swap. I am dreaming of flowers... NOT the sleet and snow headed our way right now!

Hugs to all,
    Wendy / sassyb.

• gee_oh_nyc
    13 years ago

Hello Drippy and everyone,
    I just came back from the post office, after sending my seeds to you. It has been fun thinking about what all of your theme gardens will look like when they have all sprouted.
    Thanks so much for hosting and making this happen.
    George

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, no mail today, folks - state of emergency declared by the governor - hey, there's 6 or 7 inches of snow on the ground. Yeah, this northern transplant is having a good laugh. OTOH, I admit I probably am happy not to pay taxes to keep equipment/employees on call that are only needed once in a blue moon.

There's been no plowing action I can see, the highways are still closed, school's closed for tomorrow again, & I'm not hearing any of the air traffic I usually do. Got a chance to get some paperwork caught up; snow days are good for that - but I will get cabin fever if I can't have the wheels rolling by tomorrow!

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, we'll see what happens today, but school is still closed, and I'm still not hearing any air traffic overhead. Hope we'll get some mail by this afternoon!

Last night, though, I got everything sorted while watching the Auburn/Oregon game. Everyone has a good start to their returns already. It did occur to me that I had forgotten to state in the 'rules' that you don't have to have something for every player on the list - hope I didn't cause too much stress by that, because most of the packages that have been sent in so far have something for everyone or nearly everyone.

Well, off to coffee and more tax work - and maybe a little winter sowing as well.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mail did come today, and brought seeds from Sassybutterfly, Clay_lady, and Buterfliis_mom. I know Lisam627's, Ishareflowers', Suecirish's, Siichan's, Celeegra's and Gee_oh_nyc's are on the way. Beth is in the loop, planning to send. Haven't heard from Yotetrapper, Nottougly, Carrlinesue, Pinenuts, or Moonphase recently, but the only 2 who have been really quiet or whom I haven't had participate in past swaps are Carrlinesue & Pinenuts - if you folks are there, drop me an email to let me know where you are at with sending seeds. Otherwise, I will try to do same to make sure the swap hasn't slipped under the radar for you (it happens sometimes!)

Loving what I see so far - 't will be worth waiting for!

• yotetrapper
    13 years ago

Mine are en route. They went out yesterday (sorry I was late!)

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Received packages from Siichan, Lisam627, and Suecirish today. Have had communication with everyone except Carrlinesue & Pinenuts - I'll try emailing them later to check their status.

One more day of this cold stuff, then we're supposed to get back up above freezing. Just found out my northeast relatives got 19 1/2 inches this afternoon. Glad I am here!

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carrlinesue is in - she will mail hers tomorrow, and as I've had a few others still getting stuff out due to inclement weather, this is not a problem. Still haven't heard from Pinenuts.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ishareflowers' and Beth_b_kodiak's packages arrived today. :)

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gee_oh_nyc's arrived today, along with a pack that I'm 9/10 sure is Yotetrapper's but will know for certain after I've been through it.

Anyone know Pinenuts personally to get ahold of him/her? I sent an email, but still haven't heard anything. Everyone else is still in the swap, with packages on the way, or pending sending when weather permits.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More arrivals: Celeegra's and Nottougly's came today. Moonphase's and Carrlinesue's are on the way, so if I don't hear from Pinenuts, I believe that's everyone.

Off to sort!

• buturfliis_mom
    13 years ago

Its starting to feel like Christmas ...... I am getting very excited about the seeds ... I wish you smooth sorting as I cannot imagine what an undertaking this could be. I think I would obsess for hours about who gets what and what works best blah blah blahhhh... I might not sleep for days. LOL.... aaaaaahhhh so I have revealed my disease. Anyway, thanks again for doing this swap...

Ellen

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Happy sorting Drippy!

I look forward to getting my package back...

Lisa

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I sent a final message to Pinenuts this morning. If I don't hear from him/her on this one, I'm going to assume no participation.

When this has happened in the past, what I typically do is redistribute the seeds sent in for that person to other players in the swap. Hopefully you are all watching the postings - you need to let me know if you do NOT want your seeds for Pinenuts redistributed to other players; if you want them returned to you, please either post here or send me an email.

Thanks!
    Kim

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Morning all!
    Kim distribute away :)
    vina

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    13 years ago

My seeds to Pinenuts can be redistributed. Hope all is well.

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

goodmorning
    redistribute please.
    thanks
    michelle

• poisondartfrog
    13 years ago

Redistribute as you please,
    Alana

• nottougly
    13 years ago

Redistribute as you please.
    Faye!

• siichan
    13 years ago

Hi Kim, I just want to let you know that you can also redistribute my seeds for Pinenuts. Good luck!

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

I agree, please redistribute as you see fit! Looking forward to the results! :D

~Wendy / sassyb

• suecirish
    13 years ago

Of course, redistribute as needed.

• buturfliis_mom
    13 years ago

AOK to redistribute.... not sure if I sent to Pinenuts...

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carrlinesue's package arrived today. I know Moonphase's will be here soon, so I am busily sorting & doing a preliminary check for each person on what was sent vs. what was sent in for them.

One of the neat things about this swap is having two ways of packaging. Those that package by individual player make it very easy on the initial sort process. But of course, some of the things that are sent in for a player are the exact varieties they sent to others - since I try to send back all new stuff (don't always succeed 100%, but I have a pretty good track record), the ones who send in seeds packaged by themes they will fit into - and I decide where they go - make the second round much easier.

It's all good! :)
    Kim, the master of the run-on sentence (yikes!)

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hmm, still no seeds from Moonphase - I sent a quick email off yesterday. I know she was snowed in awhile ago.

I do have everyone else's preliminary organization done, and am about to start doing serious round 1 sorting. Should be able to meet my original schedule of having these out to you by the end of January - and maybe, with a little luck, before.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Still haven't heard anything from Moonphase - hope she's ok; she's had some rough patches over the last couple of years. I'm not ready to give up yet, though - still have a lot of sorting to do, so it won't matter if her seeds come a little late.

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

....that just when I start to worry - I got a message from Moonphase, all is AOK, seeds are in the mail, and I should receive them soon. Onwards and upwards!

• gee_oh_nyc
    13 years ago

Thanks for the updates Kim. Glad all is well.

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Looking good here. I'm excited about the swap and getting seeds started.
    We are building a "Pig Proof" ( we hope) garden. The javelinas have chewed up just about everything I have planted the last three years,including very prickly cactus and I think this may stop them.
    envisioning a beautiful little garden full of things from GW friends.
    BB

• celeegra
    13 years ago

Ooh I've been having dreams about my theme gardens & of sitting in the midst of all the flowers & veggies with Olive my love. Can't wait to see what we get back before doing serious planning & winter sowing.
    Kim thanks so much for organizing this!

• buturfliis_mom
    13 years ago

are we all holding out breath? feels like it...

• sassybutterfly_2008
    13 years ago

ha ha! Yes, definitely!! :)

• drippy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Moonphase's seeds came today, and I am well into round 2 of the sort (round 3 is final tweaking). I am going to start a new thread, now, as we are getting close to the limit on this one. Please post to that.

Thanks,
    Kim