Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drippy_gw

NEW: Theme Garden Swap

drippy
17 years ago

Do you have a theme garden (or two, or a few)? Do you want to have a theme garden (or two, or a few)? Then this swap is for you!

For those of you who might be so new to gardening that you might not know what it is, sometimes people build gardens around a single theme. That theme can really be anything - perhaps the original theme garden was the Herb Garden (my herb garden is the joy of my land!). Another popular garden is the Moon Garden - all white flowers. Other theme gardens I have are Ocean Garden, Music Garden, and Celtic/Medieval/Goth garden. One GW member I know of has a Zoo garden - plants with animal names.

What do you put in them? I put plants that have names relating to the theme (Music Harmony columbine in the music garden) or in some way relate (rosa rugosa - the beach rose - in the ocean garden) to the theme. Sometimes it's a stretch, or a plant can fit in two places (Sweet Pea Captain of the Blues could go in either the music or ocean garden).

Sign up here until December 26. Post your interest, theme garden types, and any particular seeds you are hoping to get for them. Meanwhile, check other posts and start setting aside your seeds for the swap. Seeds should be packaged in ready-to-trade individual packs; I cannot sort bulk seeds. This will be a one for one plus swap - you will receive one packet back for each packet you send in, plus at least one or two extras. Please limit to 5 packs of any one particular variety of seed, but you may send as many packs as you like. All types of plants (flowers, vegetables, herbs, shrubs) are welcome; however, due to the timing, please to avoid plants that require multiple cycles of warmth and cold for germination (seeds that should normally be planted in the fall), unless specifically requested by someone.

Between December 27 and 31 I will email everyone with the address to send your packages to. Send your seeds in a bubble mailer package. Include with your seeds a self-addressed label (I will re-use the bubble mailer you send), a listing of seeds you have sent, a copy of your theme garden list and seed wishes, and your GW name. It would be very nice if you would label your packets with your GW name as well. Most importantly: Please include postage equal to the amount of postage it costs you to send your packet. Seeds will need to be posted by January 7, and I will try to sort and have all seeds mailed back by January 25. I know this is a long sign-up period, but I cannot receive any seeds before the holidays; it's too busy a time and I wouldn't want any mishaps.

Special note to newbies: if you have few packs, still play! If you have NO seeds to trade, go buy 2 or 3 packs and still play! Many "vets" send in extras to swaps to be given away. I cannot guess how many more seeds you will receive than you send in, but I know I have some, and I bet others do, too.

Special note to vets: If you are sending bonus seeds, I would be grateful if you include a little additional postage to help with distribution.

If I've forgotten anything, please email me or post here. Let the fun begin!

Ideas for themes:

All one color flower (e.g., Red Garden)

Ornamental grasses

Everlastings

Moon Garden

Bible Garden

Flower-type garden (e.g., Sunflower Garden)

Native flowers garden

Numbers garden (e.g., Four O'Clocks, Five Spot)

Birds and butterflies garden

and many more!

Comments (96)

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sandysgarden, welcome! And you've given us a good list to work with, too; I bet you'll get some good stuff!

Our players now:

drippy
    askewgardens
    micyrey
    barbamaman
    julie_mn
    moonberry
    squirrelspur
    limequilla
    fairydancer
    galium
    tammymn
    dparker_la
    fabraholic216
    lhmkc
    scouttiegirl
    nicolenanette
    atravers
    skohler
    dawiff
    nettasaura
    sandysgarden

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    17 years ago

Hi Drippy! I would also like to sign up for this swap! My plan is to start two new theme gardens for next season. My son gets home from Iraq next spring and in his honor, I would like to start the following:

Camo Garden - Any perennial or annual flower with the names or dominant colors of black, brown, chocolate, green, lime, jade, ivory and white (for snow camo!). I think he will get a kick out of this...but most certainly I'll get his big smile, a head shake and a rolling of the eyes! Hopefully it will also warrant his hug too! Can you tell I'm missing him?!

Patriotic Garden - Red, White and true Blue flowers - annual or perennial. In honor of those who have served and are serving with him.

Any additions to my established gardens would be super:

Daylily garden - named daylily seeds other than Stella D'Oro, Black Eyed Stella and Pardon Me.

Heirloom Tomato Garden - My newest interest. Any seeds that I don't already have. I would also like to start some "Patio" sized tomatoes in pots this year, if anyone would have any to share.

Thanks for organizing this Drippy...it should be fun! - Lisa

• duane456
    17 years ago

drippy----I'd like to join in!! I've got alot of seeds to send. My theme gardens I'd like to start are--
    "red " garden (for my hummingbirds)
    and
    grass garden (for front of my house)
    Duane

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, lisam627 and duane456 - glad you're going to join the fun!

Participants to date:

drippy
    askewgardens
    micyrey
    barbamaman
    julie_mn
    moonberry
    squirrelspur
    limequilla
    fairydancer
    galium
    tammymn
    dparker_la
    fabraholic216
    lhmkc
    scouttiegirl
    nicolenanette
    atravers
    skohler
    dawiff
    nettasaura
    sandysgarden
    lisam627
    duane456

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Got an email from lazyweeder (of Wish List Swap - I-IV fame) today; he's going to join us, too. Dave will be posting his theme(s) as soon as he thinks of one, LOL. :)

• shimla
    17 years ago

Drippy,

I would like to play too!

My theme is titled "Hodge Podge" LOL! Anything goes in my yard (zone 5). The less rules the better :). Annual, perennial, color, shape, height - makes no difference - out in the yard it goes!

I am putting in a Hodge Podge Shade Garden. I would like to put in bunches of mixed Coral Bell plants (Heuchera) and lots and lots of Bleeding Hearts. I love pansies because I can dance them in between things the more the merrier for these three! The rest of the area is open game for shade some is dry shade. I would absolutely love to grow a "Stairway to Heaven" Jacobs Ladder. The foliage is just awesome on this. If anyone has a seed or two to spare for this one, I'd be delighted!

For my Hodge Podge Sun Garden I have patience to grow lilac shrubs from seed (hint, hint). I also need some long-time blooming plants. My garden is mainly perennial and I go through bouts of time waiting for color, particularly in June. For early season, Forget-Me-Nots would be perfect for my yard (another subtle hint).

And I'll toss in a plug for my Hodge Podge Butterflies. (I can't over-winter the butterfly bush in my yard). I'm only getting orange Monarch and those little, white moth-looking butterflies. (All this work and I get moths? - It can't be so!) I did see a couple of yellow ones last year, about the size of the orange Monarch. Anyhow, they could sure use some company if anyone has a great attractor for a different kind.

Whoo-Hooo this is going to be fun!

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Howdy, shimla - welcome to the party!

Updated list:

drippy
    askewgardens
    micyrey
    barbamaman
    julie_mn
    moonberry
    squirrelspur
    limequilla
    fairydancer
    galium
    tammymn
    dparker_la
    fabraholic216
    lhmkc
    scouttiegirl
    nicolenanette
    atravers
    skohler
    dawiff
    nettasaura
    sandysgarden
    lisam627
    duane456
    lazyweeder
    shimla

• andrea81
    17 years ago

Although I haven't thought of any themes for my yard gardens yet I would still love to join. I have been debating for a while because of the lack of themes but if it is okay I will think it over and post my themes at a later date (soon!)

Thanks!
    Andrea

• andrea81
    17 years ago

Ok, it didn't take long at all for me to decide what themes I want...

Cascading/Container Garden:

I LOVE petunias! (hint hint)
    Any other flowers/plants that work well in containers.
    I also really want some neirembergia (can't spell)...

Angel/Fairy Garden:

I know this is a popular one but I chose it because my mother-in-law who passed in August loved Angels and Fairies so I decided to do a garden dedicated to her. I think my husband will enjoy it too!

anything dainty, fluttery, or "dwarf"
    anything with "angel" "wings" "fairy" "heaven" in the name
    anything with the name Joan in it, that was her name

Purple Garden

I love purple! Any flower that is purple or plant with purple foliage is great.
    No datura please!

Daylily Garden
    Any daylilies that are not yellow besides Frans Hal and Stella D'Oro which I have. Named parents only please ;-)

Sweet Pea

Any named sweet peas except what I already have which is:
    Mutacana, North Shore, Royal Wedding, Midnight, Galaxy Climbing, Heirloom, Butterfly Mix and Sunshine Scarlett.
    So any other variety would be fabulous!!!

I hope I haven't been too picky! I really would be happy with most anything that "fits" the theme. I know I have several things to share and I am super excited!

Happy Holidays!

Andrea

• lazyweeder
    17 years ago

Drippy,

A theme denotes some sort of organization to the garden something my garden is lacking and is in desperate need of lol but I'll give it a try.

Deep dark red garden

variegated garden

multi colored and bicolored flower garden

what is that garden (never seen before...wierd stuff)

any thing with green leaves garden...jk

Thanks,
    Dave

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting your themes, Dave - the more organized in this group are already gathering seeds for various themes - I'm kinda sorta doing the same thing, but my big push will come after the holidays.

Andrea81, nice to have you aboard!

New list of participants:

drippy
    askewgardens
    micyrey
    barbamaman
    julie_mn
    moonberry
    squirrelspur
    limequilla
    fairydancer
    galium
    tammymn
    dparker_la
    fabraholic216
    lhmkc
    scouttiegirl
    nicolenanette
    atravers
    skohler
    dawiff
    nettasaura
    sandysgarden
    lisam627
    duane456
    lazyweeder
    shimla
    andrea81

• strmywthr3
    17 years ago

drippy,

I'd like to join too!

Herb Garden - odd types of thymes, basils, lavender, fennel, dill and any other others

heirloom veggie garden - tomatoes, squashes, sunflowers and any other heirloom veggies that you can think of

native prairie garden - grasses, flowers, shrubs, what ever will attract wildlife.

woodland shade garden - anything that will work well in a moist shaded area and give it some color too.

hummingbird & butterfly garden - reds, yellows and any other bright colors to bring them in!

purple foliage garden - I just love all the new plants with purple foliage - any and all to try!

thanks!
    Barbi

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, strmywthr3 - welcome aboard!

Updated list:

drippy
    askewgardens
    micyrey
    barbamaman
    julie_mn
    moonberry
    squirrelspur
    limequilla
    fairydancer
    galium
    tammymn
    dparker_la
    fabraholic216
    lhmkc
    scouttiegirl
    nicolenanette
    atravers
    skohler
    dawiff
    nettasaura
    sandysgarden
    lisam627
    duane456
    lazyweeder
    shimla
    andrea81
    strmywthr3

• duane456
    17 years ago

Hi, when I mentioned a theme as grass garden, I meant ornamental grass garden. :o)
    Duane

• northerngirlz3
    17 years ago

Great idea! With so many gardening eyes looking at these themes, I bet there will be a ton of ideas for our themes we didn't think of! I would really like to join!

1. Spooky/Strange Halloween Garden
    Black (or near black, dark maroons) flowers or foliage (already have Nigra hollyhock)
    Chocolate Cosmos
    Gomphrocarpus Physocarpus "Hairy Balls"
    Scarlet Tassel Flower, aka Flora's Paintbrush (Emilia coccinea, Emilia javanica)
    Cimicifuga Ranunculaceae Black Snake Root racemosa "atropurpurea"
    Dictamnus albus, Gas plant *REALLY WANT
    Geum triflorum, Prairie Smoke
    Miscanthus sinensis Red Flame Grass. Zone 4-9
    Pepper, ornamental Pumpkin
    I already have "Baby boo" pumpkin and "Miss willcotts ghost".

2. Pumpkins & Squash:
    Pumpkin "One too many"
    Pumpkin, curcurbita moschata "Musquee de Provence" (deeply ribbed orange/brownish, short and fat)
    Pumpkin "Kakai" (hull less seeds)
    Pumpkin "Fairytale"
    Pumpkin "Batwing"
    Pumpkin "Red Warty Thing"
    Squash "Iran"
    Squash "Triamble"

3. Salsa Garden:
    Pepper, Jalepeno, "Fooled You"
    Pepper, Jalepeno, "Seniorita"
    Pepper, Jalepeno "Tam" (mild, heirloom) *REALLY WANT
    Pepper, Sweet "Super Heavyweight" (or some other really BIG pepper?)

4. Heirloom Veggies:
    Bean, Baking Bush, "Peregion"
    Beet, "Bulls Blood"
    Celery - redventure, giant red, or any red
    Carrot, "Purple Haze" or any purple colored carrot
    "Chichiquelite" Huckleberry (solanum nigrum) these are sweet raw not the regular garden huckleberries
    Gourd "Cucuzzi" (Italian edible, looks like 3 long green bean)
    Kale "Walking Stick"
    Marrow (any)

Thanks!!!
    Jen
    jennifer@itascapetproducts.com

• limequilla
    17 years ago

This is really shaping up! I *will* be able to have a decent amount of what people are looking for! I was slightly worried with the first few lists!

Here are a couple of questions:
    What kinds of things go in a fairy garden? I looked it up online and didn't really see anything. I saw some lists of actual names of fairies, I never knew there were named fairies, but that sort of somehow got me to a bunch of pagan websites....in other words, I know as little now as I did when I started.

The other question is about number of seeds. I always hate it when somebody asks "how many seeds to a pack?" -- but in this case, for this swap, I would be opening my brand new purchased packs of seed for some of the themes. Some of these packs, in fact a LOT of these packs, have a lousy 25 seeds in them. If I gave somebody 10 seeds, I would think it was a lot, but they would likely think I am the chintziest trader around. It's also probably not fair to count that as a full package if this is a pack-for-pack swap. But they're brand new commercial seeds - some are F1 and were 10 to a pack!

Welp, I'll quit whining now. LOL! And I'll put a note on the seeds I open just for the person so they will know I wasn't being cheap! This will be the first swap of this kind -- the wishlist style swaps -- where I feel like I actually have time to write a little note to the recipient. (Yes, my Christmas shopping is finished. LOL!)

Lime

• moonphase
    17 years ago

drippy,Count me in and this one is awesome and is going to be such fun.After we post out themes,do we post what seeds we want or just make sure they are on our want page?
    I have several gardens in progress and a few new ones to be started.
    I have a
    Cottage garden
    Herb Garden
    A puple and yellow only garden
    a shade woodland garden
    my new ones will be a Red Garden
    a heirloom vegetable and herb garden
    a daylily garden with named daylilies
    and one I am thinking about one area with caring words like peace,love,spirit,joy,etc
    Thank You drippy for coming up with such an awesome idea
    moonphase

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Welcome, northerngirlz3 and moonphase!

Questions: Limequilla, that's a good one. I'd say that you want to try to pack standard amounts (2 dozen reg. seeds, good pinch tiny, 8-10 big seeds) wherever possible, but when you're giving away a 'premium' seed, that cost you money to buy, because you see it on someone's want list, chances are that they know it is a commercial seed that's hard to come by. Your best bet would be to indicate which ones you're sending like that on the list you send to me, and I will try to be fair about distribution. I know I've told traders they can send me 5 seeds of something I really want - if I can't get 1 of 5 to germinate, chances are I'm not going to do any better with 25. But that's just me. I have a pretty good idea of who's veteran traders in this group with established gardens, and I will have all email addresses, so I can email people if I have any doubts.

Moonphase, it would be a great idea if you could post wanted seeds for this swap both on your trade page and here on this thread.

Updated list of players:

drippy
    askewgardens
    micyrey
    barbamaman
    julie_mn
    moonberry
    squirrelspur
    limequilla
    fairydancer
    galium
    tammymn
    dparker_la
    fabraholic216
    lhmkc
    scouttiegirl
    nicolenanette
    atravers
    skohler
    dawiff
    nettasaura
    sandysgarden
    lisam627
    duane456
    lazyweeder
    shimla
    andrea81
    strmywthr3
    northerngirlz3
    moonphase

• duane456
    17 years ago

I'm with drippy about the amt. of seeds. If I get 5-10 seeds, that's plenty for me. If you write something like "that's all I can share" most people understand. I'm usually just greatful to get 'any' seeds.
    Duane

• andrea81
    17 years ago

Lime,

I understand what you are saying and I am in that boat too. I have a lot of seed varieties but sometimes am hesitant to share because I spent $$ on the seeds and may only have 10 myself. I don't mind sharing half of what I have, but I don't want to offend someone only sending 5 seeds. Those are the seeds that I don't list on my trade page but if someone specifically requests them for a swap or something else...

Just my 2 cents :-)

Andrea

• moonberry
    17 years ago

Thank you Drippy, for hosting this swap!
    I also was feeling a nervous at the beginning. It seemed like there's so many veterans that pretty much have seeds of what I have to offer. But, I think there's a good mix now, and I'm feeling better about what I can contribute. Should I go ahead and list the seeds that I have on my trade list to see if anyone wants them? If there's no response, I can try to purchase some seeds. And should I be more specific with my want list? I'm just happy to take part in this swap. It's fun and I'm open to just about anything.

Lime - the kind of fairy garden that I'm working on is for my daughter. She loves plants that are small, with mini flowers, things that she can create into paths, little hedges, woodlands, fairy homes. She spends hours in this small world.

Thanks!
    Mary

• shimla
    17 years ago

I had no idea of what went into a fairy garden either. I started looking at people's want lists for ideas. Now I have seeds packed for themes and seeds for wishes that don't fit into themes LOL. This is going to take a little bit of creativity :)

I have no objection to small amounts of seeds either. It's all just fun to me!

• skohler
    17 years ago

I also would like to say that if I get 5 seeds of my favorite seed wanted & only 1-2 grow I'm fine with that . if we have seeds someone is looking for can we put their name on the packs when we send them ??

also I would like to see everyone put their gw name
    on the packs so that we know who to say thank you too
    if that is ok with our hostess .
    just my 2 cents :))
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO NEW FRIENDS>

susie

• askewgardens
    17 years ago

I noticed that some are in question as to what to send for fairy gardens. I did one as container garden this year using dycondra silver falls, Mexican heather, a small leaved variegated creeping oregano, minette basil, mini sedum and mini hens and chicks, corsican mint, and woolly thyme. I'm sure there were more but I can't remember right off, other possibilities are pussytoes, Curly chives, small scented geraniums like nutmeg. Obviously not all can be grown from seed but maybe this will jump start your imagination. :)

• andrea81
    17 years ago

What I meant by fairy/angel garden was miniature flowers and plants or things with angel, wings, fairy, frilly etc. in the name. :-)

Askew-your idea is a good one too except for me personally I don't need any herbs ;-)

Andrea

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

For a fairy garden:

Queen Mab, Old Tom, Hinky Pink, Royal Pixie Tricker, Titania, Puck, Tinkerbell, imp, changeling, wee folk, trooping, wings, fairy dust, imaginary, sparkle, pretend, invisible, magical, enchanted, immortal, tricks, music, dancing, beguile, gifts, dell, otherworld, elf elfland, faery - faerie - fatae - fa'ae - fairye - sidhe (pronounced shee) - sith - fee - fay - fae - fayerie - fair folk - verry folk - feriers - ferishers - farisees - wee folk - green men - greenies - greencoaties - green children - gremlins - good neighbors - good people - grey neighbors - pixies - piskies - sprites - tamlane - tammerlane - tom-lin - tom of lyn, Elves, gnomes, sprites, goblins, hobgoblins, nymphs, Morgan la fee, tooth fairy, fairy godmother, merfolk, trolls, leprechauns, Tammerlane, Mustardseed and Oberon!!!

And for my favorite list of fairy names, see link below.

Barb

• moonphase
    17 years ago

Ok Drippy
    I am posting some of my wants here for the gardens I have and am starting.
    Cottage Garden,almost anything goes for this one.I love Rudbeckias,coreopsis,Zinnia,Nicotiana(please not tinkerbell)I had this last yr and have thousands of seed.Daisy,liastris,campanula.nigella,larkspurs,roses,well as I said,I use anything here any suggestions needed
    Red Garden-Have tons of red castor and amaranthus so don't need this.Would like Lobelia,red zinnia,lilies hibiscus,anything red or burgundy this is a memorial garden to my father and brother that loved red.I am starting a pink garden for my mom which I failed to list so anything pink also is appreciated.
    Purple and yellow garden-salvias,coreopsis,coneflower,need lots of larkspur,purple poppys,zinnias,petunias,stock,anything purple/blue and yellow
    heirloom veges and herbs.I am new to heirlooms so need to learn .I do have a few herbs but these are my new love so could use any herbs,any heirlooms veges and flowers for this garden
    My shade garden is at the edge of woodland and I plan to put a path thru it.It is in front of my house from the street to my lawn. an big area since I live back away from the rd. and trying to make it even my invisable from the Rd by planting more trees.I have planted alot of Hemlocks in with the other trees,azaleas,rhododendrons,I need Hostas,bleeding hearts,mums,lots of astilbe Heuchera and anything else that grows in shade.Some gets dappled sun some deep shade,and will put a sitting area there.
    Thanks again Drippy for hosting and may we all have beautiful gardens this next season
    moonphase

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Okay, kids, I have taken all your theme gardens and wishlists and put them together for a single master document for when I start to pull seeds for you all.

I won't print it until the last minute, so if more swappers sign up, then I can add them right on. BUT if you should happen to change your wishlist, could you post here so I know to go look at it and update my master document? It is *no* trouble at all, and in fact, I just updated my own wishlist this evening. AGAIN!

I have found a lot of stuff some some people, and at least one or two things for everybody, so I am feeling pretty good about it. You might scratch your heads on how I determined a certain seed fit into your theme(s), but that only means you need to think outside the box! LOL! I will give you a hint, if I have time, inside the seed envelope.

Lime

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Okeydokey, all my current seeds are now listed on my trade page. Every little sweet wee plant-to-be that I can bear to part with! I plan to dump almost all of these remaining into this trade, so if any interest you...

There may be a few more between now and deadline; we'll see.

I keep checking your pages to see what you are after, and your themes to see what I can come up with to help! Hope everyone is doing the same. This is fun to do, Drippy!

Barb

• barbamaman
    17 years ago

Limey, you are a jewel.

Barb

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am glad to see so much excitement! Right now, as I suspected, I am knee-deep in holiday hoopla, but am checking into this pretty regularly. Still several more days to sign up, and I, too, am keeping an eye on people's wants, although I haven't actually started pulling seeds yet - something to do after the holidays. I will be emailing you all the week after Christmas with my address and final instructions.

Right now I am blessed to be awake for sunrise in southeast MA, so I'm going to go enjoy it. Peace to all!

• duane456
    17 years ago

Just giving this a bump.

• moonberry
    17 years ago

Just wanted to wish you all Happy Holidays!
    It's been fun checking your want lists and garden themes, trying to figure out for which I can contribute.

Mary

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Five more days to sign up (including today)!

• stage_rat
    17 years ago

First I had to do my finals, and now I'm in the middle of Christmas chaos, and if I don't sign up now, even though I don't have my themes perfectly worked out, I know I'll miss the deadline! So, please count me in!

My theme ideas:

* Zinnia garden--they do really well in my dappled sunlight, so I'm sticking with what works. I'd really like huge white and huge red zinnias, big and small bright yellow, too. I do have several other kinds of zinnia, so please check my list if you're thinking of sending others.

* Dry shade garden.

* Remembrance/Family garden: If you have something with the names Lorraine, Helen, Jane, Mouse, Sweden, Germany, Lithuania, Charles, Brian or Nancy, that would be great! There is a tomato called "Grandpa Charlie" that I really want! Also, anything general for remembrance and love. I have blue forget-me-nots, but I'd like the pink.

* Poison garden, aka "Dangerous Beauty" Ok, now you know how odd I am! But it's really because I'm already growing foxglove and datura, and am about to get some green castor beans. I figure I should just keep going! I'd love to get the red or pink castor beans, Foxy foxgloves (I have tons of regular foxglove seeds) and anything else you know is mighty toxic, but pretty.

I have some seeds in mind for certain people, but everyone is welcome to browse my list and send me hinty emails. I have tons of heirloom tomatoes, so anyone wanting some of those just needs to let me know which ones s/he prefers.

Reading about everyone's themes is really fun, and inspiring!

• Michelle Reynolds
    17 years ago

hello
    everyone I am going to start sorting seeds now that the dead line is near. my christmas gift from my DH was a seed catalog shopping spree Yippee!! so if they get here in time I will have lots of these to share, but like others posted I send less of these since I only get 25 or 30 seeds but I will mark these as purched seeds and where I got them so you can look them up on the web site and get info on them
    merry christmas everyone
    michelle

• fairydancer
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

As the time approaches, and I've read everyone elses ideas for theme gardens, I've edited my plans for theme gardens I'd like to try

I'm still looking to get some seeds for:

Fairy garden - dwarfs or any suitable

Ornamental grass garden - clump forming perennials - variagated would be awesome. Nothing invasive.

I'd also like to get seeds for:

Container gardens - I do lots of containers and am always looking for interesting container plants to start from seed. I'd especially love some fragrant container plants for the patio. I also love coleus and am interested in other annual folige plants (no perilla please). Butterfly attractors welcome.

Shade garden - I'd love some dwarf goatsbeard, ostrich plume astilbe, salmon or peach astilbe, new heucheras

Climbing Garden - I decided I need some more vertical accents in my landscape. I'd love to try Sweet Autumn Clematis, other clematis that are easy to start from seed (dark purples would be great), cup and saucer vine, climbing hydrangea, japanese morning glory, and perennial flowering vines.

I'm going to put off the herb spiral....not sure I'm going to have time or space this year, but would still be interested in some lemon and lime basil.

I'm going to put this info on my trade page, as well as my list of seeds I have available. Feel free to take a look at the seeds I have to offer. Email me and let me know if I have anything you are all looking for, and I'll include them especially for you.

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Hey! Welcome fellow Hoosier! Glad you signed up -- I have some things for your themes -- I am always glad when I know I have some right off the bat.

Michelle, Lucky dog! Do you already have your choices picked out? Or are you trying to pick what you want between seed catalogs?

I have to sort through my seeds and pull out the whole shebang for this swap and dh is home this whole week. If he sees what I already have, then what's coming in the mail (probably) this week from what I've ordered, I might be in trouble.

Fairydancer, I have your additions all marked down...bummer on the herb spiral though -- I think I had a couple (read 1/2 dozen LOL!) to contribute. I also wanted to see a picture of it.

I'm waiting for my 5th dishwasher load to finish so I can put it away before bed. Honestly, I must have pulled out 2 serving dishes for every dish I served, and 2 baking dishes for every dish I baked today. I needed to take more classes in geometry (er, I think geometry) so I could visualize volume better!

Hope every one had a Happy and Blessed Christmas,

Lime

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is the last day to sign up for this swap - sign-ups will be closed after tonight. Tomorrow I will start emailing all of you with final instructions (which I will also tack on to the end of this thread), and will do an "update" post you can keep your eye on to watch for arriving seeds announcements. I've got two more holiday events to deal with this coming weekend and then I'm home free for gardening - yippee!

Welcome to the group, stage_rat. We are now as follows:

drippy
    askewgardens
    micyrey
    barbamaman
    julie_mn
    moonberry
    squirrelspur
    limequilla
    fairydancer
    galium
    tammymn
    dparker_la
    fabraholic216
    lhmkc
    scouttiegirl
    nicolenanette
    atravers
    skohler
    dawiff
    nettasaura
    sandysgarden
    lisam627
    duane456
    lazyweeder
    shimla
    andrea81
    strmywthr3
    northerngirlz3
    moonphase
    stage_rat

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sign-ups for the Theme Garden Swap are now officially CLOSED. I will email everyone who signed up with final instructions today, assuming I can reach you through Gardenweb. If you have not received an email from me by 7 p.m.EST, please email me through my Gardenweb address.

Let the game begin!

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

All participants have now been emailed instructions - please let me know if you did not receive them.

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Drippy,

I haven't received anything from you in my email. My email addy is listed on my page, and also at the bottom of my trade page somewhere.

Lime

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Limequilla - possible I missed you on the first pass, though I checked off your name on my list. I just sent the info again - if you don't get it, send me an email directly through Gardenweb.

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Ok I sent it just now.

Lime

• nicolenanette
    17 years ago

ok, i think i am understanding now what we are doing. I took the time and am trying to write your names down and what you are looking for! what is hindering me from naming a garden is i am in the process of KNOWING what plants are named for, or even their name. I never realized that there was a coral salvia. I only knew salvia as salvia. Petunia as a red petunia or white. So i am in the process of knowing the names........sigh. Am excited though
    i love blue, not a pastel tone, but a vibrant one. I would love a blue garden. BLUE BLUE BLUE!!!!
    i love salvias of all colors.
    i love intense colors veru intensly!
    I love dark sunflowers, i love dark purples for the bloom of most any species. If i ask for daylillies, will i get seeds or small plants? I didnt think seeds was a logical choice, for wouldnt they take years to mature. Teach me!
    I have red fountain grass to trade, but that is bulky. I also have purple iris but they are also bulbs, not seeds.

• galium
    17 years ago

I'm working on everyone's list. Someone mentioned, commercial seed only having 15-20 seeds. Tell me about it.
    Hope to have my seeds out on Friday....
    Mariann

• tammymn
    17 years ago

Hi Drippy,
    I didn't get the email. Could you try again please. Thanks TammyMN

• drippy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, Tammy - I'll try again in about 10 minutes - if you don't get it, email me directly through GW - that worked for limequilla.

Nicolenanette, I have grown daylilies from seed - have had blooms occasionally 2 years afterward, most often 3. I think growing them from seed is cool.

Sending bulbs & plants is something I really would prefer you not do - it will bollix up the postage thing, I think. Send what you want to in seeds - even if it's not much, I guarantee you're going to get a good return. There are some vets in this group sending more seeds than they want back, so you're likely to get some extras.

• galium
    17 years ago

drippy, mailed my seeds out to you today...
    Mariann

• sandysgardens
    17 years ago

Drippy - I just checked my email and I haven't gotten yours yet. I will send you an email and hopefully if you reply back I should get it. My email isn't blocked for I have gotten email from others through GW.

Thanks
    Sandy