Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smitties50

New -MNF - I'll be home for Christmas swap -

smitties
13 years ago

This swap is for sharing the warmth of Christmas with our friends. Whether you are home or traveling for the holidays, there are things that bring warmth and comfort and reminds us of the wonderful friendships we have made throughout the years. In this swap, you will be sending your partner something that brings you comfort or reminds you of the comforts of home and the holidays. These things could be home made ornaments, coffee, tea, goodies, scented candles, etc. If you know your partner will be traveling, how about something to keep them warm and comfy and entertained while traveling such as game books, travel mugs, warm socks, scarf, a copy of your favorite Christmas cd, etc. Don't forget you may want to include seeds of comfort foods as well. Be creative. Maybe you can add a note explaining what the item or items mean to you or what they might remind you of.

If you would like to play, please post here and be sure to let us know if you will be home or traveling for the holidays.

I will be accepting sign ups until December 3rd and will contact you by December 5th as to who your partner will be. I will be contacting your for mailing information as well.

Please have your packages mailed by December 15th. Be sure to use Delivery Confirmation and either post the number here or email me.

Let the swap begin and may you all find the warmth and comfort of family and friends during the holidays.

P. S. While sign ups are going on, I will be working on ideas for a future game.

Smitties

Comments (47)

• veeja11
    13 years ago

My favorite time of year I'll be home and count me in this one please

• elliesfun
    13 years ago

I love the holidays its such a beautiful time of year. This is going to be so much fun. I will be home for the holidays .
    Ellie

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Hi Smitties, I love the theme and want to play too.
    I'll be traveling, starting tomorrow. Lord Willing.
    I'm going, first to the Mid West, then East. I plan to see friends and family that I have not seen in years and a new great grand child that I have Never seen. Not sure yet exactly where I'll be on Christmas day but I'll keep my partner posted as things go along.
    It feels a bit like a Pilgrimage for me and ... much overdue.
    Good to see Carol Veeja on here. She was my Christmas swap partner a couple years ago and did a fantastic job. I've been missing her in the swaps.
    Bethb

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Excellent, I have my first players. This is my first hostess duty for MNF so I am a little nervous about making sure it all goes well and we have lots of fun.

Beth, I sent you an email to get your address information before you hit the road. Have fun and be careful. So glad to hear you will be meeting a new great grandchild. You are going to have lots of fun. Drop by and update us on your trip whenever you get a chance.

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"SSSSSCCHHHRREEECCCHHHHHHH, sliding to a stop"..okay I'm in!.."balancing teetering tray of cookies and tea"...

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

this sounds like a great, comforting swap, but I'm going to have to remain a lurker. ***sigh*** maybe when the holidays are over and I'm not putting in 9-11 hour days...

Have Fun Everyone!
    -Dan

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't drop those cookies!!! Thanks for stopping and joining Linda. I could use a cup of tea and a cookie while I stress about this new hosting job.

Dan, think about joining and enjoying a wonderful package of comfort waiting for you after one of those long days. I would love to have you be a part of this swap. I sure hope in the meantime that the elements and customers are good to you.

Come on all you gardeners, join in on the fun. I will be having a contest for everyone who joins and the winner, (or possibly two winners), will be receiving a prize. You all still have time to think about it.

Margo

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Margo, I'd love to join, but right now my plate is so full, you'd think I had a 5-course meal piled onto 4" saucer. Even Bump is getting tired, he's been looking out for me so much! I don't know what I'd do without him...

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"patting Dan on the back to make him burp"..does that make you feel any better? I've had a lot of practice at that lately..LOL!

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan, I totally understand. I am glad you have Bump to keep you in line and it sounds like he is your big comfort as well. You just get through the holidays and we will see you afterward. Take care of yourself.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Come on everyone, you still have time to join in on the fun. So far we have:

veeja11
    farmergirl2009
    smitties
    lindaruzicka
    bethb

Dan, our loyal delivery man will be sitting on the sidelines for this one and will be missed.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Margo

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

Hi Kids! Here's hoping everyone had a good thanksgiving! I spent the afternoon with family, and other than a drop in my blood pressure after dinner (add that to the pile of things I've got to deal with this month! ***sigh***), the day went pretty well! My sister who lives in Minnesota was there, and I met the new feline in the family, Garfield. Lol, want to take a guess what he looks like? He's still a young'un and hasn't found lasagna yet, but he's cute as dickens! I had a difficult time passing him back, I just wanted to bring him home with me! Alas, there's no room for a 3rd cat, so I'll just have to miss the pitter-patter-pitter-patter of young feet...lol! I went shopping at wal-mart on the way home (just groceries) and there were people already camped out at the computers that'll be going on sale tomorrow morning. Can you believe it? Fifteen computers were all that's available, and there were already more than 30 people in their camp chairs, reading books, drinking out of their thermoses, etc. And, get this, it was only 6pm today, with 11 hours still to go! How silly was that??? I walked away laughing in wonderment. Tonight I've been working on my christmas cards for Kym's seed/card swap, listening to music, and still relaxing. I'd forgotten how nice it felt to have a few days off. Tomorrow I'm getting up and starting to cook a turkey dinner for the four of us here at the house, which will be a lot of fun! The menu is on the table, which always helps in organizing the cooking! The sparkling peach juice (my roommate doesn't drink) is in the fridge, the turkey is thawed and waiting for the oven to be turned on, and I get to spend a day in the kitchen! After we eat, I want to make some sugar cookies and use the cookie cutters I received in the last obf swap, and then I might make some of my no-bake caramel oatmeal cookies for my oldest sisters' cookie exchange. I'm going to use red and green food-coloring in the oats to give them more of a holiday look. Then I'll package them up in the small flat-rate boxes and make them look like they've been mailed before I take them out to my sister to store until the exchange next Saturday. Y'know, I think I just may go throw a bottle of riesling in the fridge too. That'd be nice to enjoy tomorrow afternoon while I'm cooking, don't you think? Saturday I want to put the outside decorations up if the weather is nice, and Sunday I'd like to do a bit of sewing/sleeping/reading.
    We won't even talk about having to go back to work on Monday...YUCKKKKKK!!!

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dan, it sounds like you are taking full advantage of this weekend to get ready for the holiday rush. Good for you.

Thanksgiving at my house was pretty low key with a good meal and family. I have two daughters who work retail and had to be up at early hours, (one at 2am and one at 4am) to go to work. This was my first Black Friday in 7 years that I did not have to do it so I am thankful for that. I couldn't bring myself to get up and do any shopping myself this morning and to be honest with you, anything I would have ran out to buy, I purchased on line for the same price. Free shipping too.
    Kittens are hard to pass up, that is why we have a total of five now. :) Three of ours are little Garfields as well and give us hours of fun.
    I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Have a great weekend as well.
    Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumping this up for hopefully more sign ups.

• elliesfun
    13 years ago

Pass the cookies please. After doing Autumn's Favorites, this should be an easy swap. Christmas is my favorite time of year. Come one come all and we will have some fun. Did we get snow the past few days. We have more snow now than we did all last winter. I got stuck in the driveway today and had to be pulled out. I am ready for spring.

Ellie

• elliesfun
    13 years ago

Good morning everyone! Still snowing here. Yesterday we really got dumped on. I got stuck sideways in my driveway and had to be pulled out before the neighbor could plow me out. Then had to go get new tires or I would be stuck all winter. We already have more snow so far this year than we did last year. I am ready for spring.

If you haven't decided to join this swap yet....please do. It won't take hours of deciding on want seeds etc to send. Just items to make you feel compfy at home for the holidays like hot chocolate and a good gardening magazine, etc or how about a candle lite bath with bubbles? Stop in and say hi either way.

Ellie

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

well, looks like it's beat the bushes time! "getting out beating stick"...anyone for more eggnog?..

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Ill take an eggnog and even join (what size box?)... just stop hitting me with that stick! :)

We went to Arizona for a giant family get together, and it was a lot of fun except the part where Grandma told the 4 of us to show up to the party early for family pictures, but failed to show up herself, tell the other family members, or even tell the photographer! We had been rushing around like crazy getting ready early, only to show up to an empty room. Mom was so mad she made the bartender open early and kept sipping wine while repeating the mantra "I love my inlaws, I love my inlaws"! It was funny and all worked out in the end. Also, it turns out that the DJ used to live down the street from me here in Michigan. Talk about coincidence!

How was everyone else's weekend?
    ~Laura

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laura, good to have you join us. I was contemplating canceling the swap due to disinterest but it looks like we may just have some late sign ups.

Anyone else waiting in the buses that Linda has missed?

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And I forgot to answer the box question. Can we go with something the size of a medium flat rate box but you don't have to use a flat rate one. I find the smaller ones are a bit too small especially when sending fragile items.

Margo

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Ok ....I'm in! Linda put away the lasso & stick..LOL!!!

later...April

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Hi All,
    Ellie, I have not seen any snow yet and hope I don't for at least two more days. I'm now in KY after a great visit with daughter and S-I-L in MO. Hope to be in Baltimore tomorrow to see friends then on to the Shore to see Daughter, grand kids and that new Baby. It's been years since there was a baby in the family so this is a real treat.
    I'm psyched up for this swap too. The idea of I'll be home for Christmas is terrific. My family is all over so I'm spreading out the visit to see as many as possible and still get "home" for the Big Day.
    Laura that's a great grandma story. I'm getting like that too. Jack tells his kids,"beth can't remember anything". some days it's true. LOL
    Welcome to April and Laura
    Medium flat rate box is great and i usually find I save a lot on postage that way.

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

sometimes it just takes a lttle poking.."twirling poking stick"

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome April, glad you could join us.
    Beth, it sounds like you are having wonderful traveling visiting family. Good for you.

Now joining in on the swap are:

veeja11
    farmergirl2009
    smitties
    lindaruzicka
    bethb
    lilangel181
    dirt_under_my_nails

I will be in contact with Laura and April for addresses in the next couple of days. I am working on a seed package tonight for a newbie.

Friday is our last day for sign ups. Partners will be mailed to you on the 5th. I will be posting our contest instructions at that time as well.

Thanks-Smitties

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Good Morning....just dropping off some goodies.Tought hot cocoa might mbe welcomed by all. I know it's cold here in GA!!

later....April

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I welcome the hot chocolate after waking up to flurries this morning. We were in the low 50's yesterday and now it is snowing. It isn't suppose to accumulate but it is enough to make the roads rough.

Stay warm everyone. Smitties

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

*Brewing lots of tea and cocoa* We had our first snow of the year yesterday. It's like the weather said "Oh no! December already, we are SO behind!" Sounds like everyone else is having the same weather, too. Now I have to go out and find bright colored things for a photo project due next week... monochrome I've got covered!
    ~Laura

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    13 years ago

Hi Margo, hi everyone ! I haven't done a MNF swap in a long time and I sure have missed it ! Please sign me up ! ;-) I will be home for the holidays !

Iris

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Iris, welcome to the swap. So glad you can join and you are signed up for sure.

O. K. those of you who are lurking, tomorrow is the last day. Partners will be assigned on Sunday.

I was asked if this would be a secret swap so I am thinking I may just do that. Adds a little more excitement and a bit of mystery.

Stay warm everyone. Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

O.K., players so far are as follows:

veeja11
    farmergirl2009
    smitties
    lindaruzicka
    bethb
    lilangel181
    dirt_under_my_nails
    rane grow

There is still time to decide to join in. I will check tomorrow morning and make the final list of members joining. Partners will be assigned Sunday.

Come on and join us for cookies and hot chocolate.

Smitties

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Christmas is my favorite holiday. I'd love to join your swap.

Sue

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Hi Sue, Glad that you could join us.
    I'm excited about getting my partner tomorrow. I have a bunch of ideas about things to do, but want to see who I have and where they live before I get beyond the thinking point.
    Thanksgiving is my favorite but Christmas is right behind as a very close second. Thanksgiving ranks first for the food.
    We don't have near as much to eat for Christmas. Lots of stuff but usually no turkey.

• Debra Andruska
    13 years ago

Count me in too! I've been lurking- and debating on signing up for a week! ;)

Hugs,
    Deb

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Hi Beth,
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I am glad to be part of the group and excited about getting my partner tomorrow too. I am glad you are able to travel this holiday season. Dear hubby and I love to travel as well and thinking of RVing when I retire. We'd love to see the country. Most of our family is local, so we don't get away very much. I live in NE Ohio about half way between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Last spring we were crazy enough to drive 24 hours to Fort Myers, FL over spring break. I'll tell you I won't do that again any time soon....lol! Way too far in too short amount of time. We got to see lots and lots of freeway. Not very scenic until we got to the Florida coast though. It would be much more relaxing to have an RV and travel at your own pace I think.

As far as holidays, Thanksgiving is my second favorite. Our family really loves to eat at Christmas too so it's like a repeat of Thanksgiving, but with more stuff.

We got a little snow this evening and expecting a couple of inches overnight. I hope everyone is staying warm. Good night.

Sue

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I have been gone all day. I worked til six and then had a hockey game. I was wonderfully surprised to see we have two more people who have joined. Welcome

Debbya
    Suegardens2

I am so glad you have decided to join in. This will be the final list of swappers.

veeja11
    farmergirl2009
    smitties
    lindaruzicka
    bethb
    lilangel181
    dirt_under_my_nails
    rane grow
    Debbya
    Suegardens2

I am now going to sign off and work on the swap list. I am making this a secret swap so will contact people with the name of their partners via email tomorrow.

Thank you to all of you willing to sign up for my first hosting job. I hope everyone has a great time.

Margo

• lindaruzicka
    13 years ago

"passing out tea, eggnog, scones and cookies while we're waiting"......Yummy! I think this is a fun swap and I'm glad to see everyone..."waving"

• dan_the_mailman
    13 years ago

***peeking in through a frost-covered window***

Margo, it looks to me like you're doing a fine job!
    -Dan

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Linda, thanks for the treats. I enjoyed the thought while I sat here making out the partner line up. I love eggnog!!

I have the partners lined up and will be emailing you each individually.

Shhhhhhh, who you are sending to is a secret. Please let me know if you have not heard from me by five o'clock today, (Sunday).

I also have the game plan and will be starting that tomorrow night.

Margo

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan. I have a bit of a knot in my stomach trying to make sure I get the partner emails out correctly. I have been checking and double checking.

All emails and addresses have been sent!!!!!! You have all been assigned your partners.

Please contact me when you receive your email and verify the partner that I have sent to you. This will assure me all is correct. (Can you tell I stress easily? LOL)

Have fun!!

Margo

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Yay for secret partners! I had better update my lists and profiles since my partner can't ask me questions... (HINT HINT to everyone!)

So do any of yall do themed ornaments on your tree? I always like to hear what people go with. Christmas by proxy you could say,
    ~Laura

• suegardens2
    13 years ago

Thanks for the cookies and eggnog Linda. Just right for that Christmas feeling on this snowy day here in NE Ohio! The best part is, no calories....lol.

Laura - I always used to try to have a theme for my tree, but it seems to have become a mixture of different items collected over the years, handmade items from family members, some special ornaments I pick up at craft shows, etc. like my carousel horses and snowmen that I have begun collecting. I have some vintage crocheted ornaments, snowflakes and angels and a variety of colored ordinary glass ball ornaments. Looks pretty good when you put it all together and it means more since almost everything has a history.

I am having the family over for Christmas Eve dinner this year, so I have been busy readying the house for guests. I haven't celebrated in our new house yet, and we are still renovating the upstairs. But the downstairs looks great. It's a century home, Folk Victorian style and I just love the character. Well, have to get off of here and go finish my laundry. Hope everyone is enjoying the season.

Sue

• dirt_under_my_nails
    13 years ago

Hey Gang!

My tree is a mixture!! I LOVE snowmen!!!Black, silver,& mirror ornaments rate high with me. Plus ALL the one's the kiddos make in school.Prefer the white lights but got out voted this year, so we have red,green,& blue 16 fuction lights for 2010.

Anyone have a favorite punch recipe? Need 2, one for the adults(wink wink) & one kid friendly one.Favorite mixed drink recipes welcomed too!!

later...April

P.S.
    Margo~ you're doing GREAT!!!

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had a great day today getting caught up on a few things that were stressing me out. I am beginning to relax.

We are putting up two Christmas trees this year. The first one is up and in the computer room at the front of the house. It is hard to describe without sounding like it is a bit strange. It has white lights and several wooden seashells on it. I bought the shells in a large quantity box at J.C. Penney here when they went out of business many years ago. They must have used them to decorate, not sure. Anyway, the are about 2 inches across. My husband likes to deck the tree with the white lights and shells. I must say it is very striking when lit at night.

Our other tree will be live one that we will put up next weekend. That will have multicolor lights and be decked with assorted bulbs and ornaments collected over the last 31 years. No theme, just warmth and memories including many received in garden website swaps. I am anxious to start unpacking each memory to deck on that tree.

It is very cold here and we are having flurries tonight. The week ahead looks cold and bitter and the map of the whole country looks pretty miserable. It isn't starting out so great so far.

Stay warm everyone and have a great week ahead. Margo

• elliesfun
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I sure don't know where last week went but now its time to go back to work again.

It has been so cold here BUT no more new snow. I guess one good thing for the snow is that it has covered most of the plants to protect them from the freezing wind that is happening now.

I am almost all done decorating except for the table and stairway. I love Christmas. I put up two 9 1/2' trees, one 4' tree and 5 table top trees. The living room tree has clear, blue & purple lights and the decorations are mostly clear and have victorian ornaments. The bubble lights set it off nicely. The other large tree has all clear lights with mostly silver and gold plus a few red ornaments.

Haven't started baking but then my son would eat everything. Hopefully next weekend get started.

Now that we have partners, need to start thinking about what to get. Have a great week everyone. Nice job Margo.

Ellie

• beth_b_kodiak
    13 years ago

Hi everybody, we used to do several trees in the big old house but have scaled back. The huge collection of ornaments and decorations is still here so each year we struggle to pick just the important ones. I think it is time to start passing some along to the grand kids. grandson still lives alone and is not ready for his own tree yet. Anybody got a nice twenty something daughter/grand daughter I can introduce him too?
    Yesterday we had daughter, grandson and grand daughter and that beautiful new great grand son all together for dinner.
    What a treat.
    Daughter has started baking cookies, some of each person's favorites, and my diet efforts are surely ruined for the week.
    Very cold, windy and some snow flurries here. Jack says AZ is, warm sunny and just plain nice.

• lilangel181
    13 years ago

Hey Beth, I'm a twenty-something daughter/grand daughter! Got a picture of him? *Giggles*

So three years ago, and much to my parents dismay, I decided it was time to fulfill my childhood dream of having a "Hanukkah Bush". I always envied the pretty trees in people's window so this was my solution, and I had just moved into an apartment big enough to accommodate one... So I put up a six foot tall, green tinsel, clear lit, "Hanukkah Bush"! The whole thing was decorated in white, silver, and shades of blue, and my friend Erin even managed to find some Jewish star tinsel, although I have no idea where. It was AWESOME!!! Then the cats ate the tree...

Here's a macro I took of an uneaten part.
    ~Laura

• smitties
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok, I am about to go and start another thread for our thanks you's and game. Be sure to check it out.