Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

new: obf december swap - kiss

sandlapper_rose
14 years ago

OBF December Swap KISS

First of all let me mention that this swap is for members of Our Bloomin Friends. Our Bloomin' Friends is a year round trade group. If you are interested in joining, please contact Veeja11 or Brittneysgran who can let you know the procedure for becoming a member.

As for KISS in this swap, it stands for "Keep it Simple and Special."

My feeling was that there is so much going on this time of the year that even though it is one of my favorite occasions in the whole world and it would be fun to celebrate in a big way, the busy-ness and expenses can get to be overwhelming. So, yes, I decided to keep it simple. However, it will be special because what is sent and received is a gift between Bloomin Friends.

So, what you will send are a card, an ornament (either handmade or garden related) and some seeds from your partners "want list." I wont say just one packet because if you are like me, some of your seed packets only have a few seeds in them, but dont make it overwhelming. A packet or two or three is certainly about right. Okay? Hopefully you have a good assortment on your seed want list. If not, please put a few suggestions on there to help out. There is probably not time to order before the swap needs to get mailed so try to list something you would like but also something that can be found in this short time frame.

Sign up by Nov. 29 and I will get partners assigned ASAP. I know that is even before Dec. but I want everyone to receive her package prior to Christmas. From Thanksgiving to Christmas seems to go by in a blur!

Please mail out by Dec. 12.

Ill try to come up with a game or two for us to play or at least get an interesting discussion going. April is a hard act to follow; wow, she was a great hostess for us! Ditto for Melissa who I believe was the month before that.

Jeanne

Comments (126)

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jeanne, How is Crystal?

Beth, it is your oldest daughter who is getting married? (I might have missed the post about that.) Do post pictures!

Dottie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, Beth, I had not noticed your had a wedding coming up either. Hope everything is just beautiful for the wedding.
    I can't wait to see what you decided on for my ornament!

Dottie, thanks for asking about Crystal. She is feeling pretty good for all that got done to her yesterday. I am so surpised that she is tolerating the E-Collar. That is lucky for us because we sure don't want her to scratch and tear the stitches. It will be the first part of next week before we hear the results of the biopsy.

We are in the midst of trying to decorate for Christmas so off to do more of that before it gets too late.

I'll talk to everyone in a day or two.
    Jeanne

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

April... your "KISS" will be departing Southern California on Monday or Tuesday!! I will post the DC# after I send!

To all, have a great weekend!

Annie

• smitties
    14 years ago

Dottie, where do you get those pills for your dog?

I am working on one more thing and then Carol's box will be flying out of here. I am hoping tomorrow as I several packages to mail. We have a kiosk in the lobby of our Post Office and I can mail any time I want. It is great to walk in and out and see the line inside has not moved. Don't know why more people don't use the kiosk. But then again, I would probably have to wait in a line then. :)

Have a good weekend everyone. Margo

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Annie-I need your address please.

Beth-A wedding how exciting. Is it your Granddaughter who will be getting married? My Granddaughter is getting really serious about a very nice young man but I do hope she waits until she graduates from college. She is in her second year.

I hope to get the house decorated today. I have between 25-30 rubber maid totes to empty and put out. Can you tell I love Christmas. DH said no more buying Christmas things. It is alot of work but I host a Christmas cookie party every year and it is so much fun.

Jeanne-Glad to hear Crystal is doing well. I know she is being taking very good care of.

Vina-Happy Birthday to Taylor today. I hope it is the grandest Birthday yet. I have a Dec. birthday but it is way to close to Christmas (the 24th) so I have never liked my Birthday. My sister has a May Birthday and I wanted that one to be mine. It is my favorite month.

Dottie-You made my mouth water over the lettuce. Wish I still had lettuce. Lucky you.

Carol-I was so saddened to hear about those 4 police officers. My heart and prayers are surely with those families. My son has a degree in law enforcement but decided when he graduated that he wanted to be a landscaper. Maybe God intervened (you never know). I can surely sleep bettter.

Shirley

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Jeanne, So glad Crystal is home and recovering.

Shirley, the lettuce is getting a challenge tonight. It's snowing and 31 degrees. My DH says it will be okay with the zippered cover over it. We'll see. There's still a whole lot out there, but I don't want to open it and take any out and kill the rest with the cold air.

Margo, The first time I got the pills from my vet, but found I can get them online at Pet-meds.com. They are called GF-300. The ones I have are 300 mg. and my dog is 31 lbs. She takes one three times a day with a treat. She is soooooo much better since she has been taking them. She was having trouble taking our walks - limping and panting towards the end of about a half mile. Now she wants to go more! She's like a puppy again. At first she didn't like the pills, but now she's willing to chew them up right away to get the treat that comes just after. They are compressed green mussels. I hope they could work for your dog like they have for Gypsy.

• smitties
    14 years ago

Thanks for the information Dottie, I will check it out for sure. Our dog isn't too bad yet but you know it is coming.

Went to pick out a Christmas tree at a cut your own. (32 degrees at the time) We picked out a beautiful tree and the kid said it was $35.00 but once it was cut and ready to take, they charged $55.00 for that type of tree. I guess they should better inform the workers. It is a nice one though. It is in the room now but I am not sure when it will get decorated. I am pretty busy tomorrow. I better get going as I only have three weeks.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

April, I have not mailed your prize yet, but I will get it out to you this week. I guess I should give the answers to Poinsettia questions 2 and 3 in case anyone was curious. The answers are June and Dining Room.

Okay, here is my Christmas plant quiz of the week. I am going to change how I determine the winner just a bit. Once guesses are made, I will say how many each person got right but not which questions are right and wrong. If you do not have all of them right, you can guess again. At the end of the week (or whenever someone has all of them right), the winner will be the person who was first to guess the most answers right.

I decided the plant of the week would be all of those plants that become Christmas trees. (Can you tell I am decorating mine this weekend? LOL)

1. The custom of putting up a Christmas tree is usually said to be traced to the 16th century in which country?
    2. Before electric lights, what was used to light the Christmas tree?
    3. Was Christianity every opposed to Christmas trees - and if, so why?
    4. The Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center in New York City has been put up every year since ______.
    5. How do we best describe the term "a Charlie Brown Christmas tree"?
    6. Many types of trees are used as Christmas trees. The Noble Fir, which is being sold in our area for the first time that I know of this year, is native to which areas of the US?
    7. What type of Christmas tree did my husband cut down for our home this year? (I am looking for the variety - such as cedar, spruce, etc. not that it is green or shorter than usual - LOL - see next question about "short" vs. "tall"...
    8. Our Christmas tree is shorter than usual. In order to make it reach almost to the ceiling, what is under our Christmas tree?
    9. The use of Christmas trees spread after the middle of the 19th century after one was placed in the living room at Windsor Castle by ____________.
    10. Has the National Christmas Tree always been in the same location in Washington, DC?
    11. In 1979, the National Christmas Tree was not lit except for the top ornament. This was done to remember ___________.
    12. Which state grows 13 different varieties of Christmas trees - more different commercial species grown than any other state in the nation?

• smitties
    14 years ago

Ok, my package went out today.
    DC 03082040000166444022

Carol, hope you enjoy it.

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Shirley...I just emailed you my address!!

Thanks!

Annie

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Here are my guesses to the Christmas tree questions..

1. Germany
    2. Candles
    3. Yes, and some still are today. Christmas trees were used by Pagens in their celebrations. Also some Christians feel that todays trees are idolized and the true meaning of the holiday is lost in all the glitter and tinsel.
    4. 1931
    5. A small tree that has several bare spots and bendy, weak branches
    6. Cascade Range and Coastal Range mountains of extreme North west California, Oregon and Washington
    7. Virginia Pine
    8. A small table
    9. Queen Charlotte
    10. No, It started out as a community tree at the capitol. When it was moved to the white house it was placed at the ellipse. Then it was moved to Sherman Plaza, Layfayette Park and then back to the ellipse
    11. The Americans being held hostage in Iran
    12. Michigan

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Heidi is off to a great start on these questions.
    She has 10 right. Amazing!

Everyone can keep guessing if you want to... I am not saying which ones are right or wrong so all you know is that two need to be changed.
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Remy,
    I hope your package arrives today. It seems to be taking a long time to get there. It was so light that it went out first class mail. I was using the self-service machine and didn't even think about whether you can get delivery confirmation on first class mail so it went without that.
    I hope it's on track...
    Jeanne

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

I am going to reguess my answers to #7 and #8...

#7 Douglas Fir
    #8 a Plastic pot

Heidi

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

It looks like everyone is getting their packages sent! I wish I could have joined this month, but as it is I have just enough time to stop in & say HI to everyone.
    I hope everyone is having a great Monday!

We had an adventure last night. Well, that's what I'm going to call it, because I am trying to be optimistic about things..LOL. I think most of everyone knows how we've got major wiring problems, and still no electricity in half of the house? It's not so bad, really...you just get used to using the candles & flashlights & lamps!
    ANYWAY....last night our Christmas tree caught fire! We had it in the kitchen (I know, strange place, huh?) so luckily, it wasn't near any other furniture or walls...just the big round window. We had the lights plugged into the outlet- which are the only things working in the kitchen- and it started smoking. But we didn't notice, because we have a wood stove for heat, and thought it was that. ANYWAY, one of our kids says "uh, mom? is the tree SUPPOSED to do that?" So I went in to look at it, and *POOF*, there she goes.
    UGH. We didn't get much damage to anything else, THANK GOODNESS, but we're down one tree & all the stockings ( they were next to the tree). Really the ONLY thing that matters is that no one was hurt.

But, I tell you what...if it CAN happen to us, it WILL happen to us. Sheesh! LOL! Hubby fell off the roof last weekend while trying to take down the carport (the one that is rotten and was falling down). Luckily he wasn't hurt, but I needed new panties after watching that! Scared me to pieces!!

I'm off to help the kiddos with their homeschool work. They don't get much of a Christmas break, just a few days before Christmas- that'll be it. We aren't going anywhere this year, so I didn't see a need to schedule the time off. So, needless to say...we're still REALLY busy. :O)
    I hope everyone has a great Monday!!

Hugs to All!
    Melissa

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

Oh, some GOOD news I wanted to share!

LILI IS WALKING!! Yay! Just in time for Christmas & her birthday! She thinks it's a major thing, too, because everytime she stands, she'll start clapping & saying "YAY!" It's the cutest thing & I'll try to get pictures to share with everyone.

Oh, and CAROL? Lili LOVES the Elmo you sent! She loves music, and dances all the time....so this was perfect! And guess what? She said her first word last week, too!
    It was ELMO!! :O) Now she won't STOP saying it!

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Melissa I am glad you could stop in and say Hi. You and your family have been in my thoughts!! Sounds like there is never a dull moment in your house!!

My nephew might be born this week. My sister has been having contractions all weekend. This is her first baby. She is not due till the end of January, but she has been measuring big. It would be great to have him in time for Christmas, but I want him to be healthy too. She would not be able to handle leaving him in the hospital if something was wrong. So anyway please keep her in your prayers.

Hope everyone is having a good Monday!!

Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Heidi,
    With your changes, you now have 9 answers right. That should give you a hint of sorts. LOL I hope your nephew arrives safely and will say a prayer for him and is mother. How exciting for her to have her first baby - hope he can delay his arrival a bit if that is best!

Melissa,
    Oh my goodness - what an "adventure" you always have at your house! I am so glad only the tree and the stockings had problems and that your husband and house are okay - and that is great news about Lili. I can picture her saying Elmo and clapping.

Jeanne

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Well Jeanne you have me stumped!! I will change #8 back to a table. I will have to look up the other questions again.

hmmmm....

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are Heidi's current guesses to the Christmas tree questions..
    1. Germany
    2. Candles
    3. Yes, and some still are today. Christmas trees were used by Pagens in their celebrations. Also some Christians feel that todays trees are idolized and the true meaning of the holiday is lost in all the glitter and tinsel.
    4. 1931
    5. A small tree that has several bare spots and bendy, weak branches
    6. Cascade Range and Coastal Range mountains of extreme North west California, Oregon and Washington
    7. Douglas Fir
    8. A small table
    9. Queen Charlotte
    10. No, It started out as a community tree at the capitol. When it was moved to the white house it was placed at the ellipse. Then it was moved to Sherman Plaza, Layfayette Park and then back to the ellipse
    11. The Americans being held hostage in Iran
    12. Michigan

Still 9 answers right with the change back to table. LOL
    Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Hi ALL! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Taylor's party was so much fun! We had 19 kids show up. Her kindergarten class and a couple of other friends. They did gymnastics for 1 1/2 hours. Those instructors kept them on their feet the whole time. The last 1/2hour is food (pizza), cupcakes, and presents. Those kids were SO tired when it was finally time to eat I thought a couple would fall asleep with the pizza in there hands!

They all had such a good time! I think we'll do that again for next year!

Beth, a winter wedding! They are always so beautiful!! Post pics if you can later.

Shirley, 30 Rubbermaid Totes!!!!Holy Cow!! I thought I was bad...I only have 7. Can't wait to tell DH about you, he thinks I have alot of decorations...I don't even come close.

Melissa, You NEVER have a dull moment in your house! Glad to hear hubby is okay with his fall. Just thinking about that makes me cringe. And Lili is walking and talking...how cool! Billy is running and into everything (16 months now), but he only says DaDa, Hi, What?, There....I did get my Christmas present from him early though. Last night he said MaMa. I started to cry I was so happy! I have been trying to get him to say that for months! All he would do is look at me and say DaDa...go figure! :0) My MIL said it was because I'm always there so he didn't need to say my name he would just point. Oh well! It's nice to hear now...**big hugs and smiles**

Talk to you all soon!
    vina

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

HAHAHA.... ok #7 back to Virginia Pine...#8 a plastic storage tote???

Heidi

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

ok I will change the following two of Heidi's answers

6. North East

9. The use of Christmas trees spread after the middle of the 19th century after one was placed in the living room at Windsor Castle by Queen Victoria

Hope everyone is having a great day! We have been sick (cold) and trapped inside (wet)! Anyone has lots of snow yet?

Frances

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    Sorry to MIA. I haven't even been here to read anything. My grandmother almost died the Wed. before Thanksgiving. She blacked out and fell out of her chair. She hurt herself really bad looked like someone took a baseball bat to her. What was really wrong though was her heart. That's why she fell. She was in ICU for a few days. Then went ot a regular room and then had a pacemaker put in. She got transferred to the rehab place next to the hospital now.
    On top of that Papa Joe died this past Thursday. He was completely fine 3 weeks ago. He just went down hill fast. So I was occupied with that too.
    Between all that, work, and my business, that's all I could keep up with.

Jeanne,
    Your box did come. I'm so sorry I didn't post. It is a beautiful ornament! Did you make it? I hope I can describe this ornament good for everyone. It is a ball shape. There is a design of folded cloth squares over it(in a cool pine cone pattern like a quilter might do) in a red and holiday design. On the top is ribbon, pinecones, berries, a little bird house and a drum. Well, I don't think my description does it justice. Everyone will just have to believe me that is it really different and pretty!
    Thank you also for the seed assorment, Emma's Gift MG, Mini Belle red peppers, alyssum Carpet of Snow, and Zinnia Candy Cane Mix. Duh! I just realize they are all Winter/Christmas related.

Shirley,
    I do have your ornament. I hope to get it mailed tomorrow.
    Talk to you all later,
    Remy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Remy, so sorry to hear all the diffculties you have been facing, but glad to hear my package arrived. Yes, I did make the ornament. A lady taught our quilt guild how to make them. She called them artichoke balls. That doesn't sound very appealing, but they are pretty.
    Sorry not to type more right now, but I have to be somewhere at 7 p.m. so almost time to head out the door.
    I appreciate those who have been asking about my dog, Crystal. We got the lab test results back today and one of the lumps was cancer, but it is considered "cured" if the vet gets a wide margin around it, which she did. The other place was not a tumor. I wrote down what it was, but don't have my note here. Anyway, those with pets - watch for lumps and bumps that appear and let your vet check them out. This cancer does not spread to places like the lungs, liver, etc. so that is good, but she may have more of the same kind of cancer pop up later on. Apparently this type of cancer appears around the head, lips, mouth, etc. She had her dental cleaning at the same time, so they know there is no sign of it in her mouth. I was happy with the speedy and thorough care she got at the vet's office.
    Jeanne

• canyonwind
    14 years ago

Thoughts and prayers for everyone, and the dogs too. God Bless!!!!

April, your "KISS" went out today..............
    DC# 0413 1797 9250 7607 3025 from zip 92688

Annie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am just on long enough to say that I will check the new guesses for the Christmas tree game later in the day. I have to get ready for a Christmas party that begins at 10:30 a.m. - means I need to leave the house at 10 a.m. and I still need to make the food that I need to take to it and get myself presentable. I am going straight from there to a 2:30 doctor's appointment... so see you later!
    As much as I love Christmas, I think it is a good thing Christmas is NOT all year long! LOL
    Jeanne

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

Remy, my thoughts and prayers are with you! I can only hope that time will help ease your troubles! God Bless, Melinda

• smitties
    14 years ago

Remy, I am sorry to hear of all the problems you have been facing. My sympathies to you and your family. I hope your granmother is on the mend. My grandmother had the same thing happen to her years ago and she went on to live to the age of 96 and in relatively good health til the day she died.

Jeanne, so glad to hear you got you Crystal in to the vet in time for them to get all the tumor area out.

A bit of snow is headed here tonight and then a severe cold front. There is also strong winds predicted for tomorrow. Living on what was once a soybean field is not fun when the winds whip up. I sometimes feel like the house will get picked up and tossed somewhere. I do have to have the hubby move the grill to a safe place. I leave it out all winter since I grill even in the snow.

Keep warm. Margo

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Margo your box is in the mail today.
    The DC# is 420 43402 9101 1501 3471 1962 6364 88

Hope it makes it to you safely!!

Heidi

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    Thank you for your kind words. I think the train wreck is over : )

Shirley,
    I got you package on its way. I hope you like it.

Ok got to go work on the lasagna,
    Remy

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Remy (or anyone)
    If you have the most current OBF questionaire could you please send it to me, Vina sent me her address and I have lost it!!! I am going to the post office tomorrow, if anyone can help me out I will be most grateful!

I put the tree up today! (artificial) ho ho ho

Have a wonderful evening!

Frances (still battling this cold, but I think I am finally winning!)

• Melinda Hagen
    14 years ago

I got Mary Ellen's package off today! Hope you enjoy! I have dc# somewhere if you need it!
    Hope all are well and things are good!
    Hugs, Melinda

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First of all, let me post information about the swappers:

Beth_b_Kodiak
    Brittneysgran
    Canyonwind - Mailed to April
    Dirtundermynails
    Fcoffill
    Flowergirl34
    hdiperna - Mailed to Margo
    Ilovefarac
    Mellen
    Remy - Mailed to Shirley
    Sandlapper Rose - KISS received by Remy
    Smitties - Mailed to Carol
    Veeja11

Now to address the Christmas trees;
    We have a tie right now. Heidi and Frances each have 10 right.

Vina, Taylor's party sounded like lots of fun.

Sorry to hear some are getting that cold wintery weather. It was even a bit chilly here today and rain just about all day.

Off to deal with more Christmas things...
    Jeanne

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Well upon further investigation the answer to #9 is all in the wording....(according to Wikipedia) Queen Charlotte introduced the tree, but during Queen Victoria's time the custom became more widespread.

Tricky Tricky Questions...good thing this isn't the SAT's!!

On a side note anyone see the ABC special tonight called Prep and Landing. It was about how elves come and prep the house for Santa. Super Cute!!

It just started snowing here. My siblings are hoping for no school tomorrow...I don't see that happening!

Heidi

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Thanks Annie and Shirley and Remy for sending me the OBF questionaire! I have saved it to my HD now so hopefully will not lose it again!

I am going to make one more change to my answers

6. The Cascade Range, North west California, Oregon and Washington

I am not sure which of the other questions I had wrong, I am guessing it is one about your personal tree.... no clue????

I hope everyone is staying warm (its wet here!!!!) gaaaa!!!

Frances

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hope no one minds - Heidi and Frances have been the only guessers and I think I feel good about declaring each a winner. I am easy to please in December. LOL I will send out a prize to each of you - might be next week. (April the prize to you did get mailed out on Monday. Melissa has hers from the week before.) I think everyone is very busy right now preparing for the holidays... and with other things. I find myself in that busy category, too, with trying to keep track of the guesses. LOL
    There will be one more guessing game posted on Sunday and after that I will just be keeping track of who has sent and who has received, but everyone stop in and tell us about your holidays, holiday preparations, and anything else that you want us to know about. I know lots of us have signed up to do swap seeds. I love winter sowing since I discovered it two years ago!
    Are your gardens still growing? I have pansies, a few roses, and cameillias in bloom and can still pick lettuce, herbs, and radishes; and I have some peppers that are still on a few plants and are useable but the plants are almost dead. My carrots and elephant garlic are green and growing as well. Not much going on in the garden, but it's nice to have less to keep up with right now.

Oh, for Christmas tree answers that have been changing with the guesses -
    My main tree is a Virginia Pine. We usually debate between a Virigina Pine and a White Pine, occasionally we get a Frasier Fir (which I really like) but the Frasier Firs grow in NC so I am always a bit leary of one that has been cut for awhile and sits waiting for someone to buy it, especially if the weather is hot - that was not so much of a problem this year. We usually cut down our own at a local Christmas tree farm. I was upset when I saw the Nobel Firs for sale in our area. They grow all the way across the country and I kept thinking, what a waste of fuel to bring them all the way here and that it may have hurt the business of those who grow Frasier Firs in the next state. I never can figure out produce or trees being shipped all the way across the country or from foreign countries when they are available locally. (My political two-cents worth for the day...)
    Because our tree is shorter than usual, it is on a metal tub that is turned upside down. This is the type of tub that might get used for dunking for apples and I wash my saddle blackets in it when it is warm and sunny outside - not in the winter through!
    As for the queen, here is what I found online, "It was not until the miuddle of the 19th century that the practice spead to Great Britain. Queen Victoria's consort Prince Albert was German. It was he who brought the first Christmas tree to Britain when he had one placed in the living room at Windsor Castle. From there the fashion spread rapidly to middle class homes." I have decided Queen Charlotte, Queen Victoria, or Prince Albert would all be acceptable after reading a bit more.

A few pictures:

Tree - Before
    {{gwi:1313631}}

Tree - After
    {{gwi:1313632}}

Everyone have a great day!
    Jeanne

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Hi all! Just checking in.

Remy, sorry to hear about your loss and your gramma. Hope she's feeling better with the pacemaker.

Jeanne, my mom's dog Ashley had the same thing. The cancer was in her mouth around her teeth. She had to have surgery and 3 of her top teeth and part of her jaw removed. It sounds way worse than it actually was. In fact you couldn't even tell after the swelling and stitches were removed. It gave her a new lease on life too. She acted much "happier". That must have been bothering her for a while before anybody even noticed it. I wish animals could just tell you what hurts, it would be so much easier!

Melinda I am still working on your box. I will have it mailed by Friday...just looking for one special thing to go in it, and its proving to be harder to find than I thought.

We had a freaky snow storm last night and have about 4-5 inches of snow. Now sleet/rain is coming with 65 mph winds from now until tomorrow night. Today is a good day for baking. I'm starting with apple/orange bread, and maybe moving on to cookies. Not sure...

Talk to you all later. Stay warm and dry!
    vina

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Annie~ Thank you so much for my Dec box!!!The box smelled of Christmas. She had placed cut stems on top of everything.Really put me in the Christmas mood!!!
    Inside she sent:

Hand Blown Cardinal Ornament~ (Soo Pretty!!!!)
    2 Mint Bliss Ghiradelli Bars
    Ghiradelli Espresso Escape Chocolates
    Red Fuzzy socks(gotta hide these , my daughter took the last pair I got in a swap!)
    2 magnetic memo pads
    Large memo pad
    Plant labels
    2 Sharpies
    Cute stocking full of dog cookies
    Autumn Tryst Rebloom Iris !!
    and.....Macadamia Coffee(I soo needed this, made last of the coffee this am! Now I don't have to go anywhere for my afternoon fix!!!)

Seeds
    Blue Bedder Salvia
    Xenox Sedum
    Whire Datura
    Cleome Mix
    Indian Spring hollyhock
    My Ornament!!
    {{gwi:1313634}}

My Gifts!!!
    {{gwi:1313635}}
    Thanks again !!!!!

Remy ~ sorry about the news of your loved ones. Hoping 2010 will be better for us all!

later....April

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Nice boxes arriving for this festive season.

Melissa-Lili walking...no way...it seems like she just got here. LOL Scary about your Christmas tree, glad no worse than what it was.

The wind has been terrible here today. 15 hundred people without power. A school bus was trapped with fallen power lines all over it when a tree came down right in front of it. The bus driver said the kids went crazy screaming and she needed to phone for help and couldn't hear a thing.

Remy-I know I will love anything you send. Looking forward to the package.

Shirley

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

Morning all!

Not many postings lately. Tis the season though!!Cold here today.Hope everyone is OK.

later...April

• flowergirl34
    14 years ago

Good afternoon everyone!!!!

I just received my package from Frances...here we go!

~~A wonderful poinsettia Christmas Card
    ~~Seeds: Bells of Ireland (they were on my REALLY Want List) THANK YOU!
    Talinium (Jewel of Opar), Clematis "John Paul II", Cleome Rose Queen~~ They are all so wonderful!! Thank you so much!
    ~~Christmas pencils and erasers (Taylor will be snatching these right up as soon as she gets home from school! She loves animal erasers and bright colored pencils!!)
    ~~2 Beautiful Glass Bead Ornaments that she made herself. They are sky blue and silver with moss green beads on them as well. They are beautiful!
    ~~Package of Spiced Cocoa! This sounds yummy! We are having a small dinner party on Sunday and I will make it then. (hopefully it will last until Sunday, LOL!)

Frances, thank you so much! I am going to let the kids hang the ornaments this afternoon!

Melinda, your box will be going out on Monday. We are going to the Olde Tyme Christmas in town tomorrow. They have wagon rides in the snow, craft vendors, the Fire Department even makes Chili. It is so fun and I am hoping that your last item I'm looking for will be there.

Have a great Friday everyone!

vina

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

It has been very quiet on here lately...but April's right- I think everyone is busy. I hope everyone is having a great holiday season so far!
    I know we've been busy just cleaning up the mess from the van breakdown & the carport fiasco. *ugh* :O)
    And then with Lili's birthday just 5 days after Christmas....I don't know HOW I'm going to fit in a party for her.
    Does anyone have any ideas? I feel bad trying to plan anything- since we aren't celebrating Christmas this year (just too much going on, and not enough $$ to spare), but I hate to not do anything for her 1st birthday.

Anyway, Here's a picture of Lili, walking & clapping, like I promised:

And here is one of Adora singing at a special 13th Sabbath at Church (she's in the middle):

She loves to sing, and has absolutely no fear being on stage in front of people. I hope that continues, because I love to see her doing something she loves! :O)

I hope everyone has a warm & SAFE weekend!
    Hugs to all!

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Melissa I love the pictures do you have a name picked out for the baby yet? (I think you said it was a girl??) I love to tell people the names of my siblings cause they always look cross eyed...Here we go..

Heidi Marie, Holli Michelle, Halie Megan, Joshua Aaron, Jesse Allen, Joel Anthony...then I have 2 boys John Warren and Jace Nikolas. My sister is having a boy and naming him Jacob.

Anyone else have a crazy name thing in their family. If you didn't pick up on it all the girls have the same initials and all the boys have the same initials except for my kids :o)

There are some great boxes being sent.

Heidi

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Sue, please forgive me I am late again. I received a box from Margo 2 cute little mini cookie tins a bear ornament for my tree and 5pkgs of seeds. thankyou margo. hang in there Sue all is bought just gotta mail it. sorry hugs carol

• remy_gw
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    It had been freezing here! A winter storm with high winds happened the last 2 days yuck.

Melissa,
    I love the pics!!

Heidi,
    My family is weird because we all have the odd names. The rest of my relatives have very normal everyday names. Of course I'm Remy, named after St. Remy an obscure very early St. He converted King Clovis of France to Christianity. That's the saint of the day of my grandfather's death.
    Then there's Sean. My mother had the hots for Sean Connery being James Bond. Sean might not seem odd now, but back when he was born it was. People spelled it Shawn or Shaun. So he got called Seen a lot as a kid.
    Then came Aaron. He got named because he was a oops right after Sean. They had no name so they picked the first name alphabetically. It must of been too tiring to look any farther, lol.
    Remy

• smitties
    14 years ago

I received a great box from Heidi. She made two adorable angel ornaments that are now on my tree. She also included a mix of candy and several packages of seeds. These all came inside a cute holiday box.

Heidi also made a card with a poem she wrote inside. I want to share it with everyone. She is a very clever writer.

It read

Winter Soltice
    Twas the night before Winter solstice and all through the garden
    The air was quite cold, the ground starting to harden
    I had just sat down to a nice cup of tea
    To look through the seeds I had gotten for free
    When out on the lawn, there arouse such a clatter
    I jumped from my chair to see what was the matter
    The snowflakes were fallin' the wind was a blowin'
    "My winter sowing containers!!" down the street they were goin
    I threw on my boots, took off at a run
    I could already see this was not gonna be fun
    I collected the containers and tied them up tight
    So much for seed sorting on this crazy night
    I put on my PJ's and snuggled to bed
    While visions of winter sown flowers danced in my head
    I swear I heard my husband snore as I drifted off to sleep
    "Happy Winter solstice to all, and don't plant your seeds too deep"

Thank you Heidi, I really enjoyed my box and it did bring a smile to my face. Margo

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am going to start a new thread so you can start to post there. I will update the list of those KISSES sent and received tomorrow.
    It turned very cold here, too, so everyone stay warm. We went from something like 70 degrees to 30 degrees in two days time. Brrrr!
    Thanks for sharing some pictures with us!
    Jeanne

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Good Morning everyone,

Call me crazy, but this morning I am taking my brownie troop to a program about how animals prepare for winter...it's outside. The temp is supposed to be in the 20's. I have a feeling that it is going to be a long, but fun morning.

Margo I am glad you liked your box.

Remy I like the story of your names. My oldest son is named after my Dad. My youngest son is named Jace because I couldn't talk my husband into Henry :o)

If I survive the cold I will check in with you ladies later. Have a great Saturday.

Heidi

• beth_b_kodiak
    14 years ago

Hi all. the festivities are swinging into high gear around here. Second daughter and son in law have arrived for the wedding and everyone is having a blast.
    Everyone, that is,except the bride who had classes until 4 PM yesterday and is in a bit of a panic AND the groom who is on duty until 11:00 tonight. I think he is exhausted but calm. At least so far he LOOKS calm. LOL
    Jeanne I have been waiting for something in the mail but have decided to send what is ready and do a rain check on the last bits.
    It has turned cold here too but at least the past few days have been clear so we went down to walk a bit at the ocean. It was beautiful. Everything else arond here is extremely wet and soggy. It still looks Christmassy at night when you can only see the lights, not all the water.