Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

NEW: Now Time to Sign up: 2011-2012 Theme Garden Seed Swap

sandlapper_rose
12 years ago

2011-2012 Theme Garden Seed Swap

Do you have a theme garden? Do you want to have a theme garden? Then this seed swap is for you! Drippy (Kim) began this annual swap in 2006 (if not earlier) and many join every year and really enjoy it. I filled in for her one year and here I am again! She got the swap off to a great start and hopefully she can join in with the swapping part this year.

For those of you who may be new to gardening and don't know what a theme garden is, some people build gardens around certain themes. For example, an herb garden is a theme garden. A theme garden can be based on color (all white, all red, etc.) A theme garden might reflect the size of the plants (giant, small), the growing conditions (hot and dry, cool and moist) or it might just be fanciful - Mystery Garden, Musical Garden, Fairy Garden, or it might be a garden where the plants have animal names, etc. People who join in are very creative as are those who send in seeds based on the themes. If your intent is not obvious from the name, explain it a bit when you post the names.

To join in, list your themes below (5 themes per person only.) Then, using e-mail, you must send me your real name, GardenWeb name, and e-mail address. I'll gather mailing addresses later. Please send the information to me with "Theme Garden" as the subject. I need that information prior to the sign ups closing. If I don't receive it, you will not be in the swap.

It will be very much appreciated if prior to December 30th you update your "Seeds Wanted" information on your member pages even if you feel that it doesn't have anything to do with this swap - it is very helpful to me and those who send seeds for you. Don't feel bad if you are not current right now. Neither am I. Just begin to work on it.

Dates:

Post your themes below and continue to join through to December 30th. You will not mail your seeds to me until January, but start to get the seeds together so they will be ready to mail after the holidays. I will try to get them all shuffled and back out to you by the end of January - although depending on how quickly they arrive; it might be just a bit longer. Between December 31 and January 6th I will e-mail my mailing information to everyone who is signed up. Do not send before you get the e-mail message from me even if you might already have my address. I don't want seeds to be arriving until some of my Christmas "stuff" has been cleared and packed away.

Rules for sending your seeds to me:

Seeds that are sent in should be packaged in ready-to-trade individual packets; I cannot sort bulk seeds. This will be a "one-for-one swap" - meaning you will receive one packet back for each packet you send in. However, you are almost certain to get some extras! Unless what you are sending are "bonus seeds" (seeds beyond the number you wish to receive in return) - please limit any particular variety of seeds to 5 packets unless more than 5 people have requested the seed and even then, the limit will be 10 packets of one variety. All types of plant seeds (flowers, vegetables, herbs, shrubs) are welcome. If you only want vegetable seeds or only want flower seeds, you will let me know prior to me mailing to you and I will honor that to the best of my ability based on what is sent in.

The swap is limited to U.S. residents. All seeds should be no older than 2010. Please provide viable seed that has been properly collected and stored. Label the packet accurately so the recipient knows what has been sent and include your GardenWeb name as the sender on each packet. That way I won't be sending the same seeds back to you!. As for quantity, you can send a smaller amount if the seeds are expensive or rare, but just be fair in providing a reasonable amount. This has not seemed to be a problem in the past so I will leave it without specific guidelines. If you want to "categorize" seeds by theme or GardenWeb member - trying to be helpful to me when I sort - do this by placing the packets in a labeled baggie rather than put that information on each packet. They may need to get reshuffled because others may send in the same seeds. I hope the way I wrote that makes sense.

Players must limit the amount of seeds they expect back to 100 packets. When I first did this, I had no idea how generous some of the members are in sharing their seeds! For the return mailing, I am limited by what is sent in and have no way to anticipate that I may have more than 100 types of seeds to fill your theme requests. It may happen, but I don't want to promise it. That being said, depending on what comes in, you may well get more than 100 back. You are welcome to send in as many as you like. Any numbers of greater than 100 packets will be considered bonus seeds and will be distributed to those who sign up unless you request "no extras" - for example, you might send in 25 packets and state that you only want 25 in return. If no one wants the seeds that are in excess of what is requested, we can discuss options for donating them to a good cause. Please no suggestions at this time.

Newbies: If you only have few packs, you can still play! If you have no seeds to trade, go buy 2 or 3 packs and play! Some gardeners send in extras to be given away to beginning gardeners or just because they like to share.

Envelopes were my biggest problem last time so I have changed how I am doing that part. I will post specifics a bit later, but be aware that you will use both an outer envelope addressed to me - it will not be reused in this swap - and an inner envelope - of sufficient size and the inner envelope must be clear, clean, padded, and without tears and you will self-address it so it is ready to be returned to you. You will also be sending me stamps to cover the postage it will take to return the envelope to you. Do not affix the stamps to the return envelope because I will need to get them weighed. The quantity sent back to you may be a good bit larger that what is mailed to me. All envelopes will be returned with delivery confirmation, assuming the post office still allows for that in January. No metered postage is to be sent - only stamps. If you send excess postage, it will not be returned. It will be pooled to help for when someone happens to not send enough in postage - and that happens.

Okay, more about that later.

What can you do now? Post your themes, send the necessary information to me, and watch to see what themes are posted so you can accommodate requests from your stash of seeds or perhaps order a few packets to share.

If I've forgotten anything, please e-mail me or post here. Also, I will try to check the list frequently, but if anyone has the inclination to compile an overall list and update it from time-to-time, that will be a help to all of us. Just jump right in if you want to be a list "compiler" for us! If there is no highly motivated volunteer to do that, I will try to do it weekly.

Thanks for making this swap lots of fun once again! Everyone really helps to make this a big success.

Jeanne

Comments (53)

• jensyen ( z7 MD )
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are my 5 garden themes. I really enjoy this swap. Really brings out the creativity in everyone.

1. It's Pretty Cut-and-Dried - Any herb, veg or flower that can be cut and dried.
      2. My Two-Faced Friends - Any two-toned flowers!
      3. Oh, What a life! - Any Perennial that has a long, happy life.
      4. Sensational Show Stoppers - Any flowers that stand out and steal the show.
      5. Gnome Sweet Home - Any "Gnome village" plants that grow 10 inches or less.
  • sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Count me in please! I'll be back shortly with my themes. :)

• alwaysagarden
    12 years ago

First of all thank you so much Jean for hosting the Swap, a big favorite of mine!!

1. Bright Smiling Faces- Pansy Garden
    2. Oh So Popular- Poppy Garden
    3. Big Bright Bloomers- Sunflowers,Hollyhocks,Penstemon,Zinnia
    etc.
    4. Going Wild- Wildflowers and Vining/Climing flowers
    5. On The Porch- For potted flowers.. nasturtium,phlox,violas,petunias... etc.

Cindy

• clc70
    12 years ago

I would love to join this swap. Here are my five themes;

Shady Ladies-any shade loving plant

Fall Fantasy-flowers/plants with great fall color

Cottage Collage-any cottage type perennial

Annie Get Your Gun-annuals that POP

Shrubmania-any shrub that blooms and is hardy to zone 7

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The themes sound great! Thanks for joining in. My favorite part of this swap is seeing how creative the themes are!
    Jeanne

• Michelle Reynolds
    12 years ago

Hello
    Well I see some themes I have seeds for so I'll jump in.
    My themes are ....
    Butterfly thru. Any good nectoring plants for butterflies

Just hanging around. For vines other than trumpet, morning glory, and cardenal cliimber.

Annual creek. Annuals good for direct sewing.

Guinea pig salad bar. Goodies for the critters, lettuce, spinach, parsly, alphalfa, timothy hay. Basicaly most any edible leafy greens.

Wild thing. Long blooming wild flowers annual or perennial.

Thanks jeanne for hosting

Happy thanks giving everyone
    Michelle

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I would compile the list we have so far. I will try to do this once a week. Of course, you will have to go back to the original post to read a description of the theme, if one was given.

There is still lots of time to sign up. We are just getting started.

If there is an asterisk after your GardenWeb name on the list below, it means I have received your real name, GardenWeb name, and e-mail address. I will need those from everyone in the swap so I will have a way to get in touch by e-mail if necessary. If I don't receive the information once sign up is complete, you will not be in the swap. Remember that according to GardenWeb rules this is limited to US residents and you must be an adult in order to participate.

sandlapper_rose(*): I'm Thirsty, The Dessert Menu, Spice of Life, Fall in Love, I Get Around

poisondartfrog(*): Grow Where You are Planted, Nicotine Fit, So? Sow Celosia!, Cream Supreme, Giganotosaurus and other Giant Creatures

flowergirl34: The Black Crows, Little Miss Matched, Heritage Garden, Happy Feet, Jurassic Park

jensyen: It's Pretty Cut-and-Dried, My Two-Faced Friends, Oh, What a life!, Sensational Show Stoppers, Gnome Sweet Home

alwaysagarden: Bright Smiling Faces, Oh So Popular, Big Bright Bloomers, Going Wild, On The Porch

clc70: Shady Ladies, Fall Fantasy, Cottage Collage, Annie Get Your Gun, Shrubmania

micyrey(*): Butterfly thru, Just Hanging Around, Annual Creek, Guinea Pig Salad Bar, Wild Thing

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!
    Jeanne

• browneyedsusan_gw
    12 years ago

Here are my themes:

Buried treasures: flowering bulbs, corms, rhizomes or tubers such as rain lilies, lilies, alliums, dahlias

Leave me alone: plants grown for their foliage (chartreuse, golden, gray, maroon, variegated, neat shape/structure)

Little gems: low growing perennials, annuals, shrubs

Some like it hot: drought tolerant plants

Woodland sprites: understory/shade plants

Susan

• drippy
    12 years ago

Okay, first off I want to say thanks to Jeanne for taking over this year! This is a monster swap; it often took me a full month of long days to sort, and I just can't find the time for it this year. However, after 'talking' (via email) to Jeanne, I think she is busier than I am, and I am in awe. So, thank you, Jeanne!

And yeah, I have to join (which doesn't take as much time as hosting). One request though, to other players: I really don't need ANY seeds, (but I just can't resist swaps)so please, if you have seeds that fit my themes, do not send many packs! I am beginning to feel guilty about the long list (dating back as far as 2006, and most do germinate) of seeds I have yet to plant. I have enough to take me into the next three incarnations. Also, I don't need more than 10 seeds of any variety - I'm enough of a vet that if I can't germinate 10, I won't be able to germinate 100. Usually I wind up looking at the spare 90 thinking, "How am I going to get rid of these?" So don't send me lots!

Okay, now that that's out of the way - here are my themes:

America the Beautiful - anything that fits any of the lyrics to this special song - "for amber waves of grain", "purple mountain majesties", "sea to shining sea", etc. Second & third verse picks welcome, too.

Appalachia - native, at least in part, to the Appalachians. Or related, in your mind, to Appalachia.

That's it - I love this swap! :) The fun things people come up with often leave me smiling, or laughing, for days.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

Here's my Themes List. Thanks for hosting !!

I had to think hard about the themes ~ here's what I've come up with:

1. It's not easy being GREEN ~ It's all about foliage here... ~ Green/lime foliage, bi-color foliage, red/burgundy foliage plants ~ coleus, hosta, geraniums, heuchera, tiarella, salvias, sambucus, sedums, etc.

2. Summer's Bounty Buffet ~ Peppers, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Squash, Zucchini, Cukes, Melons, Carrots & Peas, Strawberries ~ any veggies from my wish list ~ yum!

3. Fruit Salad ~ Apricots, Oranges, Lemons, & Berries ~ flowers in any of those ranges of colors

4. Heaven ~ Memorial garden in honor of my mama ~ any 'sky-blue' or light blue colored blooms and white puffy or large blooms that I could interplant amongst them.

5. Rude Gals Raising Hel.. ~ Rudbeckias & Gaillardias & Heleniums ~ would love to try some of the new varieties!

I love this swap!! :)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad to have you join in sassybutterfly_2008, drippy, and browneyedsusan! I will go ahead and update our master list.

If there is an asterisk after your GardenWeb name on the list below, it means I have received your real name, GardenWeb name, and e-mail address. I will need those from everyone in the swap so I will have a way to get in touch by e-mail if necessary. If I don't receive the information once sign up is complete, you will not be in the swap. Remember that according to GardenWeb rules this is limited to US residents and you must be an adult in order to participate.

sandlapper_rose(*): I'm Thirsty, The Dessert Menu, Spice of Life, Fall in Love, I Get Around

poisondartfrog(*): Grow Where You are Planted, Nicotine Fit, So? Sow Celosia!, Cream Supreme, Giganotosaurus and other Giant Creatures

flowergirl34: The Black Crows, Little Miss Matched, Heritage Garden, Happy Feet, Jurassic Park

jensyen: It's Pretty Cut-and-Dried, My Two-Faced Friends, Oh, What a life!, Sensational Show Stoppers, Gnome Sweet Home

alwaysagarden: Bright Smiling Faces, Oh So Popular, Big Bright Bloomers, Going Wild, On The Porch

clc70: Shady Ladies, Fall Fantasy, Cottage Collage, Annie Get Your Gun, Shrubmania

micyrey(*): Butterfly thru, Just Hanging Around, Annual Creek, Guinea Pig Salad Bar, Wild Thing

browneyedsusan(*): Buried treasures, Leave me alone, Little gems, Some like it hot, Woodland sprites

drippy: America the Beautiful, Appalachia

sassybutterfly_2008: It's not easy being GREEN, Summer's Bounty Buffet, Fruit Salad, Heaven, Rude Gals Raising Hel..

• User
    12 years ago

Wow, what enthusiasm! I just popped in from the Quilting Forum (thanks for the eye-opener, Dan the mailman and Jeanne) and eager to jump in here! This looks like so much fun! And delightful to see so many familiar names!

We haven't had a garden here yet, even though this will be our 3rd growing season next summer, so I'm ready to join! Now it's time to put my thinking cap on for a theme and eagerly await the catalogs.

Kay

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We will love to have you join in, Kay. Have fun thinking of some themes. You can see how creative some of them are.
    Jeanne

• User
    12 years ago

Okay, here goes:

1. Forever and a Day: Everlastings or any plant that can be dried for use throughout the year
    2. Peaches and Cream: Peach, cream, or white flowers, or variegated leafy perennials.. especially Bishop's Weed
    3. Victorian Lady: old fashioned cottage garden flowers or shrubs, especially in pastels
    4. Up Your Nose: Plants with strong aromas, especially Sweet Annie
    5. Fernal Equinox: ferns or other shade lovers

I am getting SO excited! Even more than for the holidays, I think!

Kay

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

Great themes, everyone! I am looking forward to matching seeds to them.
    Alana

• Margie Crawford
    12 years ago

This looks like fun - thanks to Jen for encouraging me to jump in. My themes:

On the edge: Plants to fill in the nooks and crannies at the edge of beds and walkways
    Heaven scent: Fragrant leaves or flowers
    Early risers: Earliest spring plants
    The Great Race: Plant name refers to anywhere in the world
    Some kind of wonderful: Any heirloom you love to grow

Margie

• barefootgardner12
    12 years ago

Sounds like fun! I see a lot I can send.

My Themes:

1. Children's Garden- Fun and interesting veggies & flowers.

2. Hot & Sweet- Edible hot or sweet peppers.

3. Tutti-Fruity- Fruits & berries, esp Honeyberry.

4. Veggie Blast- Heirloom or commercial veggies.

5. Chocolate & Vanilla Fantasy- Chocolate or vanilla
    related plant, flower, veggie, fruit. Name, color,
    taste, etc.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    12 years ago

I love everyone's themes! You're all so creative!! :) It's really fun coming up with seeds to send for this swap.

Happy Friday everyone!
    ~Wendy

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    12 years ago

I think I'm ready to post themes..This year my nephew bought a home about a mile from me so I let him choose the themes. The seeds that come in from the swap will go to him to get a garden going"of course, I gave him a ton already>This is just a fun way to see what people come up with..He will be heling me pack seeds for your themes..Hopefully with two minds we can send in some good ones...

The red coats are coming..red flowered or red foliage "i already gave him a ton of huskers red plants>

Follow the yellow brick road..yellow flowers

crazy for columbine..please no unknowns he is planning gardens by colors.

rock the casba...plants/flowers that can be assoc. with any song from the rolling stones,motley crew, pearl jam and judist priest.

Thanks ,

Lisa

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm back to update our list. Welcome to those who joined recently!

If there is an asterisk after your GardenWeb name on the list below, it means I have received the e-mail that you sent with your real name, GardenWeb name, and e-mail address.

jensyen(*): It's Pretty Cut-and-Dried, My Two-Faced Friends, Oh, What a life!, Sensational Show Stoppers, Gnome Sweet Home

alwaysagarden(*): Bright Smiling Faces, Oh So Popular, Big Bright Bloomers, Going Wild, On The Porch

clc70(*): Shady Ladies, Fall Fantasy, Cottage Collage, Annie Get Your Gun, Shrubmania

browneyedsusan(*): Buried treasures, Leave me alone, Little gems, Some like it hot, Woodland sprites

drippy(*): America the Beautiful, Appalachia

sassybutterfly_2008: It's not easy being GREEN, Summer's Bounty Buffet, Fruit Salad, Heaven, Rude Gals Raising Hel..

kay_in_pa(*): Forever and a Day, Peaches and Cream, Victorian Lady, Up Your Nose, Fernal Equinox
    barefootgardner12(*): Children's Garden, Hot & Sweet (peppers), Tutti-Fruity, Veggie Blast, Chocolate & Vanilla Fantasy
    onedaylily(*): On the edge, Heaven scent, Early Risers, The Great Race, Some kind of wonderful

ishareflowers(*): The red coats are coming, Follow the yellow brick road, Crazy for columbine, Rock the casba

• flowergirl34
    12 years ago

Hi Jeanne!
    Info sent.
    Merry Christmas!
    vina

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Vina. I'm sure I have your information somewhere in my computer, but if I can get it specifically for this it saves me from searching.

Also, time to explain a bit more about the two envelopes. What I would suggest is that you use your self-addressed padded (bubble) envelope as the inside envelope. Then just get a plain (unpadded) envelope for the outside envelope that you address to me. Those envelopes are not expensive, the inner enevelope will keep your seeds safe, and it will make it so much easier for me when I get ready to mail the seeds back. Last time I did this I was really working hard to cover up old addresses or trying to tear off already used stamps, etc. Plus some of the envelopes had been used several times before and some had gotten damaged in the mail. I actually did use some that were sent to me by putting them inside a plain envelope that I had and it made some of the "difficult ones" easier to get back out. I am all for recycling, but sometimes it really makes it hard to get it post office ready. The better shape the envelope is in, the more likely it is your seeds will arrive home safely.

I hope everyone is doing fine. My husband was gone for a week - off to CA to visit our triplet grandsons who will be one year old in Feb. I know he had a great time, but both of us are very tired now! Keeping up with our new puppy here is almost as tiring as keeping up with one baby. LOL This weekend it will be time to put up the trees. Hopefully the puppy will behave around them. Of course, this year the bottom will be decorated with safer, unbreakable things!

Jeanne

• jaynine
    12 years ago

I'd like to join again this year. My themes:
    Tried & True~Annuals you grow often/every year
    For the Birds~Plants that attract/feed birds
    Between a Rock & a Hard Place~Rock garden plants/plants for difficult areas/plants with shallow root systems
    Hippie Chicks~adding to the Purple & Blue memory garden with flowers, vegetables or herbs whose names or characteristics evoke anything from the hippie culture or that carry the names Carolyn, Charlene or sister.
    Magic & Medicine~Plants used in magic or often associated with witches/plants with medicinal properties.

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Thanks, Jeanne, for hosting this year.
    Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

• lorilynngardens
    12 years ago

I would like to join the swap! Here are my themes...

TIGER GARDEN In shade and filtered sun under black walnut trees. I already have hostas, orange day lilies, tiger lilies, black hollyhocks. I want to add more orange and black plants and contrasting foliage. Plants with chartreuse or burgundy leaves would be great. Anything in the ground must be juglone tolerant, but other things to plant in pots are welcome. Plants named after jungle cats would be fun!

CAFE AU LAIT: Coffee and cream colored plants. Plants with coffee, cream, caramel, chocolate names.

STRAWBERRY FIELDS: Plants with names inspired by classic rock music.

GARDEN SINGS THE BLUES: Blue flowers.

POTAGER: Herbs and short season veggies suitable for pot culture. The prettier the better. Also edible plants attractive enough to squeeze into a cottage flower garden. I have already used brussels sprouts and purple Kale as accent plants. I have limited space and don't want to give up my beloved roses to grow more veggies!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So happy to have you join in, jaynine and lorilynngardens! Both of you came up with some great themes.

Jeanne

• twopinenuts
    12 years ago

Here goes...my themes:
    1: Don't be a SAP! (salvia, agastache, and penstemons)
    2: Primary colors: red, yellow, and blue
    3: Gigamungusoid: big flowers and/or vegies
    4: HummerButter days (flowers attracting hummingbirds and butterflies)
    5: Not tonight deer...(flowers that deer don't like)

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome, twopinenuts! I like all of your themes, but especially Not tonight deer... that is a winner for sure! I need to find something that deer, rabbits, squirrels, and voles don't like.
    Jeanne

• apoppyfield
    12 years ago

Look like fun - I'd like to join. My themes are:

Heirloom heritage: Any heirloom tomato, pepper, or other veges.

Culinary delight: Onion, garlic, leek, shallot or whatever to use in cooking.

Salad Bowl: Any type of lettuce or veges that are good addition to salads

Throw & grow: Your favorite easy, no fuss seed.

Easy & Shady lady: Easy seeds to grow in partial shade. (Those trees get in the way)

Okay this should do it. Thanks for all your work putting this together, Jeanne. I sent you an email so let me know if you got it.

apoppyfield

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry I haven't been posting more often. I read my e-mails and check to see what is new here everyday. I'll update the list really soon and I am so happy to see more gardeners joining in!
    Jeanne

• moonphase
    12 years ago

I want to join in this swap.It is always such fun.This time I will have to use commercial seeds if that is ok.
    1)I have a memorial to my brother and father.They both loved red.I don't have any named plants for them but maybe you know some.Melvin,Gene,Ben hue..or POLK.
    2)My second is a herb /butterfly garden I have been expanding
    3)still have my little chocholate patch that needs help I want to add black and white to it this year.
    4)animal fun garden for the grands,Any plant with an animal name also corn and sunflowers for their flower fort
    my( 5) is taking more and more priority.My nannys food farm.WE are planting more and more.I had to pull out 30 ft. on my cottage bed and extend the vege garden,I love trying any thing new like beans squash tomatoe okras, vege seeds are much needed and appreciated.if you know where it came from or it has a story for the family it started with would love to have that info.
    Thanks moonphase....

• moonphase
    12 years ago

Can I please change one of my theme?scratch my chocolate garden and swap for two toned frinds borrowed from another..This is any two tones flower, foliage, vege....love this idea and there are so many two tones Thanks so much
    moonphase

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm finally back to update our list. Welcome to those who joined recently and what great themes!
    If there is an asterisk after your GardenWeb name on the list below, it means I have received the e-mail that you sent with your real name, GardenWeb name, and e-mail address.

flowergirl34(*): The Black Crows, Little Miss Matched, Heritage Garden, Happy Feet, Jurassic Park

jensyen(*): It's Pretty Cut-and-Dried, My Two-Faced Friends, Oh, What a life!, Sensational Show Stoppers, Gnome Sweet Home

alwaysagarden(*): Bright Smiling Faces, Oh So Popular, Big Bright Bloomers, Going Wild, On The Porch

clc70(*): Shady Ladies, Fall Fantasy, Cottage Collage, Annie Get Your Gun, Shrubmania

kay_in_pa(*): Forever and a Day, Peaches and Cream, Victorian Lady, Up Your Nose, Fernal Equinox

barefootgardner12(*): Children's Garden, Hot & Sweet (peppers), Tutti-Fruity, Veggie Blast, Chocolate & Vanilla Fantasy

onedaylily(*): On the edge, Heaven scent, Early Risers, The Great Race, Some kind of wonderful

ishareflowers(*): The red coats are coming, Follow the yellow brick road, Crazy for columbine, Rock the casba

jaynine(*): Tried & True, For the Birds, Between a Rock & a Hard Place, Hippie Chicks, Magic & Medicine

lorilynngardens(*): TIGER GARDEN, CAFE AU LAIT, STRAWBERRY FIELDS, GARDEN SINGS THE BLUES, POTAGER

twopinenuts(*): Don't be a SAP!, Primary Colors, Gigamungusoid, HummerButter Days, Not tonight Deer

apoppyfield(*): Heirloom heritage, Culinary delight, Salad Bowl, Throw & Grow, Easy & Shady Lady
    moonphase(*): memorial garden, herb /butterfly garden, two toned friends, animal fun, nanny's food farm.

I hope I got all of that correct. sassybutterfly_2008, I may have your information here somewhere but if you see this, please just send it again. For others, there is still time to sign up. The sign up ends Dec. 30th. I will send more details about the swap by e-mail after we get through the Christmas holidays.. and will post more updates here.
    (I suspect that once Dec. 26th arrives I will be looking through some seed catalogs and sites online!)

Happy Holidays to all! I should be back online during the week to update as necessary. As I said, I keep reading my e-mail and looking here everyday, it just takes awhile to update. Last time I hosted this swap I had everyone mail out before the Christmas holiday season so I guess I didn't realize that things would be this busy right now... Duh... why I didn't realize that I have no idea! Anyway, it will be great fun for all of us once the holidays are over with.

Jeanne

• imabirdnut
    12 years ago

I'd love to join!
    Flowers & Vines only please! Shade or sun! Annuals or Perennials
    My themes are...
    Monarch Mania--Host & Nectar plants for Monarch & Queen Butterflies. Milkweeds, Milkweed vines, & nectar plants Monarch butterflies love!
    Butterfly Bounty--Host & Nectar plants for other butterflies besides Monarchs & Queens!
    Blues Brothers--Annual & perennial Blue flowers & vines.
    Red Hot Mama---Bright red flowers--both annual & perennial(no oranges, please!)
    Meadow Madness---natives--reseeding annuals or perennials for grassy meadow...no grasses please!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome, imabirdnut! I'll add your choices to the list the next time I update it. You have great ideas.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

...and another updated list:

flowergirl34(*): The Black Crows, Little Miss Matched, Heritage Garden, Happy Feet, Jurassic Park

jaynine(*): Tried & True, For the Birds, Between a Rock & a Hard Place, Hippie Chicks, Magic & Medicine

lorilynngardens(*): TIGER GARDEN, CAFE AU LAIT, STRAWBERRY FIELDS, GARDEN SINGS THE BLUES, POTAGER

twopinenuts(*): Don't be a SAP!, Primary Colors, Gigamungusoid, HummerButter Days, Not tonight Deer

apoppyfield(*): Heirloom heritage, Culinary delight, Salad Bowl, Throw & Grow, Easy & Shady Lady

moonphase(*): memorial garden, herb /butterfly garden, two toned friends, animal fun, nanny's food farm.

imabirdnut: Monarch Mania, Butterfly Bounty, Blues Brothers, Red Hot Mama, Meadow Madness

December 30th is the last day to sign up.

Jeanne

• gagreenman
    12 years ago

I would love to join this swap, will enter my themes shortly. Would also be willing to help you keep the list updated, if you like.

Thanks,

Dave

• gagreenman
    12 years ago

My Themes:

-Ying/Yang - Black & white flowers, veggies, or herbs.

-Celtic Knot - Herbs or flowers for knot gardens.

-Fire & Ice - Hot colors (reds, oranges, yellows) & cool colors (white, pale blue)

-Twighlight Fantasy - Shades of blues & purples.

-Mysterious Happenings - Surprise me.

• scratchits
    12 years ago

I would love to join! Below are my five themes.

1) Riley's Pride - I have a bald Pomeranian. Being bald doesn't bother him one bit and he is still the boss of the house. So something that stands out or that may be strange. Could even be something that stands tall and regal.

2) Whispers in the wind - Anything that attracts butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds. Anything that teases the imagination.

3) Grandmas back yard - Heirlooms, classics, tried and true.

4) Berries delight - Any type of Berry.

5) Keep the doctor away - Medicinal herbs

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome, gagreenman and scratchits! Great themes!

imabirdnut: Monarch Mania, Butterfly Bounty, Blues Brothers, Red Hot Mama, Meadow Madness

gagreenman(*):Ying/Yang, Celtic Knot, Fire & Ice, Twilight Fantasy, Mysterious Happenings

scratchits(*): Riley's Pride, Whispers in the wind, Grandmas back yard, Berries delight, Keep the doctor away

There are just a few more days to sign up... I will check to see if I can find e-mails from sassybutterfly_2008 and imabirdnut. They may be here on my computer and it's just me not being too organized while getting ready for the holidays. If I don't find them, I will try to contact these two members by e-mail and get the information that I need in order for them to participate. (The e-mail messages were requested so I would know that I have a correct e-mail address for each person who is signed up and can match your e-mail address and your GardenWeb name.) I will be sending out further details about the swap directly to you by e-mail once the sign ups are complete. We will continue to have a thread here (one with a new heading) so you can post when you mail to me and when I receive your seeds, etc.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

Jeanne

• Zeak Rice
    12 years ago

SQUASH ME - SQUASH, PUMPKIN, ETC.
    SHORT COOL SEASON - SEEDS FIT FOR SEATTLE
    HEIRLOOM n OP - NO HYBRIDS THAT REVERT BACK
    PINK AND ? - FLOWERS OR VEGGIES
    Z - THINGS THAT START WITH A 'Z'

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    12 years ago

This sounds like fun! I would like to join. My themes are:GOD BLESS THE USA-red,white, or blue flowers.
    PINK PANTHERS-pink flowers or leaves.
    ROCK AND ROLL-rock garden and groundcovers.
    WET AND WILD-plants for damp or wet areas, wildflowers.
    STARS AND STRIPES- your hardy favorites and striped or bicolored flowers.

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome, hibiscusfan and gardenerz!
    I have the e-mail addresses of all who have signed up so that is taken care of.

ONLY 2 MORE DAYS TO SIGN UP FOR THIS SWAP SO IF YOU MIGHT WANT TO DO IT AND HAVEN'T SIGNED UP YET, IT'S TIME TO DECIDE!
    Sorry for shouting... LOL

Great themes posted.
    Jeanne

• lizbest1
    12 years ago

Completely new to the gardening blog scene, your swap sounds like fun, please sign me up! My themes are:

Good Buddies: companion plantings to complement established perenials

Pining Away: plants that thrive under Pines

Tuff Enough: I haven't had a lot of success with seeds before, have mercy, easy to germinate, please!

Deer-be-gone: Anything the wildlike doesn't like to eat

Butterfly Diner: attract those pretty butterflies!

I haven't collected seeds before but just put in an order from Diane's Seeds to be able to participate. Thanks!

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Welcome, LizinElizabeth! All of you have such great themes listed. Don't worry if you have to order some seeds to participate. I may do some of that also. I have lots and lots of older seeds, but don't want to use them for this swap. With our hot, dry weather this year I couldn't harvest as many seeds as I usually do.

I will wait until after Dec. 30th and then update us to the full list with all the themes.

So happy to see all of you joining in!

Jeanne

• clay_lady
    12 years ago

I'd love to join the swap. Thanks clay_lady

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

clay lady, we would love to have you join in! Just list your 5 themes and send me your e-mail address and you are in. However, I am closing the sign ups tomorrow morning so we can all start sorting, ordering, and packing up seeds - so don't take long to list your themes and send me an e-mail message. Okay? (Nothing like putting the pressure on, but at least you found us in time!)
    More information will come to you and all the others by e-mail once the sign ups close and I will start a new thread here on the Round Robin Exchange page so we can keep up with what has been mailed to me, received by me, and when I mail back to you and you receive your packet. I will include the full list of participants and themes there also. Looking forward to lots of fun.

Happy New Year's Weekend to all!

Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

clay lady, I still haven't heard from you. I will be sending out the e-mail letter to the participants soon and if I don't have your e-mail address and your list of 5 Themes by then, I'm sorry but I won't be able to include you in the swap. I know people want to comb through the seeds they have on hand and possibly order some seeds especially for this swap, so I can't hold up the process or expect them to go through those actions twice.
    I'll be waiting to see if you get back online in time to join in. If not, this swaps tends to be offered annually and there are other seed swaps you can join so you certainly can find a place to swap with the great gardeners who visit the Round Robin and other boards.

Happy New Year's Eve, everyone!
    Jeanne

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry if anyone missed out on joining this swap, but sign ups are now officially closed. There are 25 GardenWeb members in the swap. Please go to the new heading to post from now on. I will no longer be checking this one.
    I will be sending an e-mail message to all the participants shortly. If you do not receive my e-mail please check your spam folder. Anyone who doesn't receive it, please get in touch with me so I can try again.
    Jeanne

• clay_lady
    12 years ago

Sorry I missed your date. I looked for an e-mail-- but it never came through. Loved the swap last year--- I'll try again next year. Thanks so much. Lynn