Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandlapper_rose

New: OBF Fill 'er Up Swap (December) - Sign Ups

sandlapper_rose
16 years ago

Happy Holidays!

Our Bloomin Friends Swap Group was created to have a reliable, fair, and safe haven to swap and trade between the group members. If you care to join us, we would love to have you. Membership requests should be e-mailed to veeja/carol or skohler/susie.

Fill 'er Up Christmas Swap

Okay, ladies, I was going to have the theme be something with Christmas stockings, but that already got posted as a Round Robin. So, I will still include the option of filling a stocking if you like, but we are adding a bit more variety for the December Swap. You can fill up anything that you want (well, within reason...) So, fill a stocking, fill a basket, fill a watering can, fill a salad bowl, well - you get the idea. Treat your container like Santa would in terms of filling a Christmas stocking and add whatever little things you think your recipient will like. It would be nice for many of them to be garden-related: packets of seeds, bulbs, a gardening book or magazine, plant markers - things like that, but you can add Christmas things, too, like an ornament for the tree.

Here is the game that goes along with this swap. I made a list of various "containers" and placed them in a basket and drew the name of one. The first person to receive a gift from someone in that type of container will win a prize for themselves and the sender. So if you mail early and your recipient posts right away and you choose the right container, you can be a winner! The prize will be just a small gift, but I want to make this month fun. I have also decided that if we have some members who do not participate this month, I will put those names in a basket and pick one and that person will get a little something from me as well.

Two rules: I know it's Christmas, but please don't spend "in excess." I am not setting a specific dollar amount, but no one should feel like they need to spend $40 or more on what you send. When you fill your container, do things like add some homemade cookies or candy, make a little gift, or whatever. You can send along some seeds that you have harvested. Also, no hostess gifts. Other than gifts for the person you send to, I want you to spend your money on your families or give to charity. Make sure those who are near and dear to you and those in need have a Merry Christmas.

{{gwi:1314570}}

So, sign ups begin now... please sign up by Dec. 1. I want to give people a chance to mail early before the holiday rush. Let's say to mail your package by Dec. 12.

Here is one additional part to the swap, if someone signs up for the swap and you have never sent a swap to them, you can send an e-mail message to me asking to match you so that you send to them. I will match you with that person if no one else has asked for her before you do. However, don't be naughty - no telling anyone who you will send to until after Dec. 1 when I post all the swap partners. (I will let you know by e-mail soon after you ask if you can send to the person you requested - that way if you get that person, you can shop early having in mind what they like.)

The reason not to tell is Santa wants Christmas to include some surprises!

I hope we have lots of participation and lots of fun! If you have any questions, just ask.

Jeanne

Comments (150)

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I received a FANTASTIC box from Miss Susie today!! This box was LOADED, so much so, in fact, that the mailman was afraid to hand it to me! He held it very gingerly (I'm so sure it wasn't dropped or thrown before he got it! Yeah, right! LOL)...and he said..."Um, I really hope I'm not giving you a fermented fruit cake!!" LOL! I asked him if he wanted to stick around while I opened it, but NAH, he was out of there FAST! LOL Guess he didn't want to chance the fruit cake gases?? :O)

Anyway! All that was incredibly funny (to me!) because the first thing I found when I opened the box was....

~A CAKE dish/carrier!! LOL!! But I so needed one of these! And it's RED, so cute!! :O)
    ~ A homemade popcorn cake! Susie, my kids have already devoured this!! Actually, they got at it BEFORE supper. Shame on them!! But they couldn't resist...M&M's, nuts, popcorn, marshmellow...with candy canes & peanut brittle on the outside! Wow, all of their favorties in ONE!! They were ecstatic! :O)
    ~A super sweet Christmas card!
    ~A certificate to receive a "Open Hearth" daylily in the spring from Miss Susie's garden! YAY! I love this daylily! Hurry, spring! LOL
    ~Colored pencils & Christmas goodies for the kids! Thank you SO MUCH for thinking of them!! :O)
    ~Bunches of seeds! Beets, black eyed peas, yellow trumpet vine, bog sage, sunflower-sunrise/sunset, marigold, mexican sunflower, 4 o'clocks, black hollyhocks, texas mountain laurel & datura- inoxia. Wow! What a great mix!
    ~A pretty gerber daisy notepad/pen set!
    ~Garden gloves & a pretty angel plant stake!
    ~Christmas candles (they look like round ornaments! so cute!!)
    ~A green metal snowflake ornament! I love this!!
    ~Red & white crocheted pot holder/trivet!
    ~2008 English garden calendar!
    ~Santa puzzle
    ~Scented T.P. roller! I really enjoy these, they help when you have 5 kids!! :O)
    ~2 green woven trivets! Always handy!! :O)

Thank you so much, Susie!! I absolutely LOVE everything!! If I've forgotten to list anything, please forgive me...I tried to make a list before I left home (since I've no computer at home, have to do this at work!) but I feel like I've left something off.

Melissa

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just trying to keep up with the packages so here is my list below. If you notice an error, let me know. By the way, don't forget to list the "container" that your gifts were packed in. There is a prize if you sent or received in a certain type of container. First one to post that container will be the winner (actually she and the sending partner...) so keep the containers in mind when you post what you got.

Remy sends to Sandlapper
    Sandlapper sends to Sassy - Mailed
    Sassy sends to Theresa24
    Theresa24 sends to Skohler
    Skohler sends to Hazelnutbunny - Received
    Hazelnutbunny sends to Birttneysgran - Mailed
    Brittneysgran sends to Cedarnest
    Cedarnest sends to Wynative - Received
    Wynative sends to Dirt Under My Nails - Mailed
    Dirt Under My Nails sends to Mellen - Received
    Mellen sends to Lunamoon - Received
    Lunamoon sends to Veeja
    Veeja sends to Beth
    Beth sends to Debbya
    Debbya sends to Remy

Have a good day. I hope no one is hit too hard by the storms. We are still praying for rain here. Remy, I wish you could pack some snow to mail to me so I could use it to water my garden, but I don't think the post office would appreciate that. Maybe they need to ask if the package leaks along with the other questions they ask. (Well, they do ask if it's liquid - but the snow might not start out that way!!! LOL)

Jeanne

• raggedyann161420
    16 years ago

First of all I want to thank Jeanne for the beautiful christmas card and the sticky note pads that were inside it.

Melissa -I'm sorry to hear you lost a friend and I'm so glad the iris put a smile on your face. Yes, I do love Harvest of Memories; I think the name says it all.

Susie, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, my thoughts are with you, and I do hope he is feeling better.

I have been working long hours, and helping out when I can with Joey. His surgery was December 5th and they are positive they got all of the tumor. He is doing pretty good, and is now home; I'm sure this will make hime feel much better.

Due to the bad weather Shelby and DeAnna will not be making the trip. He was to be here today, but will make a different appointment after the New Year. I'm kinda sad not seeing him, but would not want him to make the trip in this nasty weather.

We did get some ice, but nothing like Oklahoma.

I want to take this time to wish each and everyone of you a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Jeanne, again thanks for the card and notepads!

If I have missed anyone.....just order me to the corner.

LIFE IS GOOD,
    Annie

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Such nice boxes being open this special Holiday Season, love reading about each one.

Nancy-Your box was mailed Tuesday the 11th so it should be arriving soon.

I received the most wonderful box from Melissa....she had all the packages wrapped which made it extra special.

She sent me:
    Chocolate creamed filled wafers
    Gingerbread spice tea
    Peppermint white chocolate candle(can't wait to light this)
    Spearmint lavender foot soak
    Vanilla candle
    Cucumber melon body lotion
    Plumeria hand lotion
    2 foam foot files (My poor feet really need me to use this)
    Hot apple pie spray
    Cucumber shower gel
    Shea butter
    2 lip glosses (glad you sent me two..DH swiped one already)
    6 candy candles (these are so cute)
    6 plant markers (Love plant markers...thanks)
    Daily survival kit (I want to let my Sunday School kids make one of these..they will love it)
    Candy...Candy..and more Candy (Can munch on all this forever)
    Fingernail & Toenail kit on a stand...(WIll sure put this to good use)
    Note pad (I go through these like crazy)
    Mini photo album
    Christmas Plaque on a stand
    Herbs & Spices Book (I love this book..I just lined up a speaker for our graden club in January and she told me she would be speaking about herbs...fancy that. Now I can read up on some and know kinda what she is talking about.
    Seeds......Scarlet Star & White Star morning glories, purple coneflowers, Light pink cranesbill, Blackberry lily, Hyacinth BEan Vine, Montego Sunset Snapdragons, Double Red Hollyhocks, Night blooming Jasmine, Red Geum
    To top all this off Melissa packed it in a beautiful Red Luggage Bag that I can use all the time. What a neat container idea Melissa.
    It seems like I have already got all the Christmas I need thanks to Melissa. What fun Christmas is as long as we remember the Reason for The Season.

Jeanne-I see you are still praying for rain, snow or whatever as long as it is wet, so are we. We need lots of the wet stuff to make up for our dry summer.

Praying for all those who are getting the bad weather, it's no fun to be without power or getting too much rain, snow or whatever.

Take care all

Shirley

• mellen
    16 years ago

Just in case I wasn't clear enough, the container that April sent my gifts in was the actual Priority box. Sounds like more nice gifts are being sent and received.
    Mary Ellen/Mellen

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

My package went out today! USPS priority #0307 0020 0003 4320 4855.

Deb

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Jeanne, I just went to the po and got the mail and have my box, so I'm opening it with everyone! (I love to do that:)

My container is a beautiful stocking with lilac's and green around the top, so beautiful, Jeanne did you make this? Its so pretty, I really love it! Oh and a beautiful bow on the side where you hang it along with a pretty ornament, about to go on my tree.

Inside is a cute little snowman with a stocking full of toys, some things fell out, lol, I have a Milk Bone dog biscuit that she explictly labeled for 'Sassy' the dog! I love it, too funny! Sassy 'the dog' is having a bone as we speak, lol.

Tulip bulbs *Brilliant Orange*, girl you did good, I know I'm the only freak out here in garden land that likes orange, I can't help it, its my favorite color! I love orange & purple together with some white mixed in, but I know most people hate orange. Thats why 'I'm sassy!' lol

Jaguar Marigold Seeds, gotta look these up, I'm sure they are awesome!

A Kit-Kat dressed as Santa, lol, love it and girl I'm a Kit-Kat addict, I don't know how you found out, but I'll give that person a hug:))

A package of Ferns.....oh I love them Jeanne, thanks so much and I don't have any here at the new house. A pair of Jersey Garden Gloves, I really like these, you can actually use them, but protective. Some cute Winter Wonderland Snowman potholders.

Wow, Jeanne made the cutest handmade seed packets out of Christmas paper with perfect little bows!!!!!!! She sent me...

Cryptostegia madagascariensus & Sponge Gourd Loofa, American Purple Beauty Bush Seeds, Cassia-Candlebush Seeds, Balloon seeds, Passiflora quadangularis "Giant Grenadilla' Passionflower & Balsam Peppermint Stick. Jeanne I love all of them thanks so much.

Girl...all I know to say is you know how to stuff a stocking!

Ladybug Stand-outs, a package of cards/envelopes for notes, etc. So thoughtful.a blue hydrandgya votive candle...smells so nice! A Christmas Cheer Shaker, lol you can never have enough:)) Footsoak & Footlotion, a ladybug candle, a What-A-Melon-Soap glycerin soap, smells heavenly!

and last but not least, if I've not forgotten anything, a pretty ornament, called 'The Legend of the Poinsettia' made of pewter, Jeanne I just love it so much, I love everything! This angel is going on my tree right now and I'll always remember you for it. I have lots of others ornaments from GW friends and its always special to remember who sent that particular one.

What an awesome box and I have had so much fun going through my stocking and I truly love everything! You're such a sweetheart and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your family.

Ohhhhh, Jeanne I'm so sorry I think I forgot the holder for scissors, love it! Its so pretty..... quilted, did you make this too?

KK, now I'm going to read the card..........Oh girl, how sweet, thank you so much, I loved everything and you're just the sweetest person, I love you!:))

You're a great friend:)

Sassy

• veeja11
    16 years ago

I was putting up my tree and as I unpacked my ornaments, I found an angel received from Earthly, a wolf ornament from Susie and my favorite two little connected snowmen on back it read Garden web 2006 Mellen and veeja. I just love seeing my friends on my tree each year. Beth your box is flying your way, tried to send travel things. hope you like them. hugs carol

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sassy, I'm so glad your package made it to you okay and especially glad to hear that you liked everything. Yes, I did make the stocking and the scissors holder. The dried flowers in the ornament are from my garden. I think the only other thing I made was the Christmas Cheer Shaker and you can see there was not much to making that! LOL
    Yes, I knew about you and the color orange, but had no idea that you especially like Kit-Kats so that was just luck!
    I hope you enjoy the seeds. About a week or so ago I found a seed site that had some unusual seeds so I took a chance and ordered them hoping they would come in and not delay me from mailing by too much. They shipped quickly so I was glad of that. Guess I should mention that your fern is "Christmas Fern" - when I saw the name I had to get that one.
    Well, enjoy all of it and have a very Merry Christmas!

Jeanne

• skohler
    16 years ago

Melissa : So Glad all the gifts arrived safely I was
    making my xmas goodies & I know how many Kids love cake
    & all My niece & nephews love the popcorn cake so thought
    I would share it & who can't use a cake carrier ???
    I said with 5 KIDS this girls can :))
    Happy Holidays & best wishes to your Family & friends .

Also Just wanted to Remind Shirley & Carol you will Need to get The line up for Next Year as to who will be Hostess each month for our Group.
    as you know we always tried to give everyone A chance .

Jeanne your doing a great Job with this :))

have a great to all
    susie

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Thankyou for the reminder Susie, Shirley would you like me to organize the monthly swaps, or should I, Or earthly would you like to volunteer. or anyone else for that matter. I will start a sign up thread for whoever wants to host then whoever takes it on can moniter that. thankyou hugs carol

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago

Marie, Thank YOU !!!
    My box arrived today .The 'Filler UP'item was a needlepoint stocking(handmade?)Its beautiful!.Inside there was:
    ~Magnetic notepad in shape of a stocking
    ~Cookie cutout body butter
    ~Christmas Tree scented Candle
    ~Finger nail File
    ~Mistletoe Magic Lotion
    ~Elf Oven Mitt
    ~Snowman Collecter Ornament(love this!!)
    ~Needlepoint Santa in his sleigh(soo cute)
    ~Temporary Clothing Tatoos(very neat!)
    ~Miracle Grow Tablets
    ~Double Chocolate Cookie mix in cute bag that says'eat,drink ,be merry' tied with cute penguin spoon.
    ~And some Burgandy Galardias seeds.
    Thanks once again for such a festive box!
    April/dirt_under_my_nails

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    16 years ago

Well, finally a chance to post. This has been a crazy, hectic week. I finally got Susie's box out DC# 03062400000275456404. What I forgot to put in there was the IOU for several plants that I have picked out for you from my garden. Please let me know when you are ready to receive. I hope you enjoy the box. I hope everyone is doing well. I am just trying to keep my head above water until the end of next week when (hopefully) things will calm down for me.

Theresa

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    What a day I had at work!! All the storm warnings caused major chaos today. Instead of working in my Meal Station, I bagged all morning, lol. Then in the afternoon, I helps organize the disaster otherwise know as grocery aisles. I didn't like that job at all! I did get complemented on how well I made them look though as I was leaving by the night manager. The snow has started to fall. I don't know if it will be as bad as they say. We'll see.
    There was a bright spot to my evening though! I got home and the swap pkg. from Deb was on the porch : )
    The container in it is a golden wire basket with red and green balls and glittery holly leaves. I don't think my description is very good, but believe me it is very pretty. The box also contained:
    2 mags., People Places and Plants, and The Christmas issue of BH&G, I love reading material as you know.
    a velvet door bow with bells- this turned out great, I can't find my side door decoration
    a nutcracker ornament
    a Christmas Cross Stitch key chain kit. It is a cute little project. Hopefully I can do it!
    a Christmas note pad
    a winter theme journal
    an adorable Christmas count down calendar
    a very pretty glass angel windchime
    Holiday bath salts
    and a whole pile of seeds!

Thanks Deb for a wonderful box! It really brightened my evening. : )

Jeanne,
    Lol about mail snow. It looks like I'll have lots to send real soon.
    I'll be mail my box out to you on Mon. or Tues. without snow of course : )

Hope everyone has a good night,
    Remy

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Ok, I'm an idiot. Under the gold basket, I found a book hiding under tissue, The Blue Willow Inn Cookbook! What a great surprise: ) Thanks so much Deb. The box was already wonderful, but a new cookbook for my collection, what a topper!
    Remy

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Jeanne I see that, how fitting! I really did love everything.

Theresa, I left to go to the other house for the weekend and forgot to let you know your package was shipped. Here's the dc#, UPS 1Z6408W10359957198 not that you should need it now, lol, its supposed to be delivered tommorrow. So sorry I forgot it. Hope you enjoy.

Remy & all you girls in storm areas stay safe, we're thinking of you.

Sassy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hope that those of you in the areas that got the bad snow storms are safe and warm. The temperature turned colder here over the weekend and we got about 12 hours of rain so we were happy! (Almost forgot what rain looked like!)
    Anyway, I thought it was time to update the list. The packages are making great time as they travel from here to there. Thanks, everyone, for sending such special packages to your pals.

By the way, no one has received their items packed in the special container that was the one my husband selected from folded up pieces of paper. If that continues until the end, I will give everyone a chance to guess what it is and give someone a prize that way. Raggedyann was the member who did not play this month who was selected to receive a little surprise.

Well, here's the updated list:
    Remy sends to Sandlapper
    Sandlapper sends to Sassy - Received
    Sassy sends to Theresa24 - Mailed
    Theresa24 sends to Skohler - Mailed
    Skohler sends to Hazelnutbunny - Received
    Hazelnutbunny sends to Birttneysgran - Received
    Brittneysgran sends to Cedarnest
    Cedarnest sends to Wynative - Received
    Wynative sends to Dirt Under My Nails - Received
    Dirt Under My Nails sends to Mellen - Received
    Mellen sends to Lunamoon - Received
    Lunamoon sends to Veeja
    Veeja sends to Beth
    Beth sends to Debbya
    Debbya sends to Remy - Received

I hope I kept up with this from what was posted. If I left you off and you have received or mailed, please post here and I will add that to my list.
    Hope everyone is more "together" for Christmas than I am. I am starting to thing those 99 things that I do to get ready for Christmas may have to drop down to 70 things next year. You know what I mean? LOL

{{gwi:1314581}}

• cedarnest
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! Hope I can stay connected long enough to post what I received from Shirley today!My computer is on its last leg so I put a special request in to Santa for a new laptop.This ol girl just needs to make it thru a few more days then I don't care..it can go to computer heaven then :) Anyway..see I already got off track..LOL..Thanks soo much Shirley for the wonderful box and lovely card.I received a lovely angel garden stake,a new notepad,a gorgeous decorated box with Christmas Stationary(just in time too as I am making out Christmas Cards tomorrow)..running behind in that department too ; ( a bar of bath and body soap that smells great, a chubby blue winter bird,this is just too cute!! A really neat birdhouse towel holder..really neat!a pr of 10kt gold earrings...Perfect for our gathering coming up!A really festive joy sign with cardinals.I really wish my camera was here so I could post a pic of this.This is just so very neat looking but no way for me to describe it so you all can picture it.Just take my word for it..its Beautiful!! and last but not least some of my favorite flowers..a package of dahlia bulbs and canna tropicanna gold rhizomes.These make me wish for spring to come really soon so I can get them planted and see them bloom.I am already getting spring fever...I say as I am sitting here freezing to death under a foot of snow..LOL..Ahhh spring..the thought of that is what gets me through!Well I better get this posted before my computer shuts down by itself again.If I don't make it back on before then..I hope all my Bloomin Friends have a Wonderful Blessed Christmas!!
    ((Hugs To All))
    Nancy

• veeja11
    16 years ago

My box to Beth was mailed and should be there. conf #03071790000467106430. will check usps next. thought I had c shopping done but dh left me a note that chris would be here wednesday, He is at work but son chris is a semi driver, so hope that means he is coming this way, but means one more present to buy. I will love seeing him tho. He is my oldest. father of my pregnant grandaughter. he raised her alone. she got her sweetness from him. So I'll be happy to shop for him. He likes christian music, anyone know the name of a good cd ? hugs carol

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Carol-
    Casting Crowns has a new CD out, "The Altar & The Door". It's got one of my favorite songs on it, "East to West". It's a beautiful album, I am sure he'd love it. Also, MercyMe has a new CD, "All that is within me". This one is great, also.
    Both groups are extremely popular, so I am sure he'd love one of their CD's. All their CD's are great, so if you can't find one of their newer ones, I wouldn't worry so much. All are fantastic!

I hope you have a great time with your son.
    Have fun shopping! :O) (and I hope that helps a bit!!)

Melissa

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    Just stopped by to say hi and tell you the storm really wasn't that bad here. The snow is only calf high. It must be above the knee for me to even consider it a real storm,lol. Here's a neat pic of the bird bath.

Carol,
    That is nice that your son will be stopping by.

Jeanne,
    Your pkg. is all taped and ready to go tomorrow.: )
    Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

Remy, that snow looks beautiful to me. I love snow. Seems like here winter is just cold and brown and blowy. If I can't have snow..... I'm heading south ASAP. Daughter should be moved in and settled in a few more days. We have been painting and working around the schedules for hooking up utilities. Phone is still not working but I got wireless for in the camper so I am using that today.
    Carol girl your package arrived the end of last week and I have been a slug about posting. Actually I tried twice and got bumped but here I am now to tell everyone it was a super psckage.
    Carol sent a priority box packed with goodies for my travels. I got a nice and much needed manicure set in a travel case and another kit with shampoo cream rinse toothpaste etc. Both very useful!
    There was a big bag of Giardelli's chocolates which I shared with the movers and my daughter. MMMM good. Giardelli's is my favorite. So glad they are more available here than they were in AK.
    A doogie treat that I shared with Buster.He's not mine but we love each other a lot.
    A mountain scent air freshener that I'm saving for when I actually hit the trail ( soon soon soon I hope)
    MY favorites from the box were:
    1).Bionculars just the right size for on the console. Sure wish I had them when I drove down fron AK the last time Well I have them now and will use them a lot!
    2). the note pad/message recorder. What a neat thing. I never heard of one before but I can see how very handy it will be. It has a suction cup to hang with or it can lay on the dash. Very very useful and thoughtful. Carol you are just the greatest.
    Guess I could say Carol packed my glove box but I'm sure that was not on Jeanne's list.
    DebbyA Your box left here on Sat. If it does not arrive in a day or so I'll dig out the DC# slip.
    I'm off to Lowe's so I better get going. The dryer is waiting for a different plug and I'm the #1Gopher these days.
    Hope all of you with snow are able to take time to enjoy it.
    BB

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Carol-I, like your son love Christian music...I'm not much on the new contemporary stuff I like the southern gospel music.

Remy-Gosh that's alot of snow, it's been along time since we had a snow like that. Glad the storm was not a bad one.

Thinking about taking off a half day from work and going home to get things done. If I don't use my vacation days I lose them so I might as well take them. I'm attending another cookie party tonight so it would give me time to get my cookes made. I made the punch last night and have it in the freezer.

My sister works at Lowe's and called yesterday to tell me they had all their Christmas items for 50% off. I wasn't going but on the way home found myself right there in Lowe's parking lot, needless to say I left with a buggy full. I have no will power with 50% off prices.

Shirley

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Shirley,
    I'm going to Lowes tonight! I can't resist 50% off sale either!

Beth's box arrived last night. Beth sent a really pretty scarf in a cute winter box. Ghirardelli Ultimate chocolate brownie mix & bag of Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolates, 2 pkgs of Candy cane Dreams cocoa. African violet stickers and a wooden tray (the kind you finish).

Beth, Thank you so much for such a nice box!

Deb

• skohler
    16 years ago

HI Ladies
    I recieved a HUGE STUFFED FLAT RATE PACKAGE Today from Florida The Warmth of the box was very cheerfully packed with Many many goodies
    1st was this over night case filled with mini snicker
    to share with my father & cookies look like Gormet Feiner Gewiirz Spekultius Along with a nicely wrapped package of Homemade fudge MMMM . have to wait till after super to try them :)))

there was a xmas stocking filled with 4 Bottles of aging creams by calgon & I sure need them just hope they help :))) this winter weather is rough on the skin .
    note pad & Pen always can use these . Lavender shower gel,
    seed baggies Always on my wish list :))

then I opened a Little RED BOX Just loaded with seeds
    Nicotiana
    columbines Barlow mixed
    columbine "clementine PINK"
    columbine "Native
    Rudbeckia Hirta Verbena
    Tomato "wayahead"
    Echinops Ritro
    Morning Glories Blues
    Morning Glory "SHIVA
    Polygonum Bistorta
    Dayliy Pink Crosses
    Dianthus "Firewitch
    Dianthus Arctic Fire
    Milkweed "PINK"
    Vitex Chaste Bush
    Delphinium Tall Dk Purple
    Dianthus allwood fragrant village pink
    Purple cleome
    Seashore Mallow
    Malva Zebrina
    Dames Rockets
    carnation
    there was also A Movie for me to enjoy on a cold winter eve
    when nothing else on TV :)) ITS Called
    Road To Perdition with Tom Hanks/Paul Newman & Jude Law
    I Know it has to be a great movie when your willing to share with me :))) .

Best of all treats is this great Gardening Book called .
    THE GARDEN PLANNING KIT I LOVE IT
    that would have been More then enough if it Had been the only one in the box & this Gal would have been just fine with it. But I will Howevere Share with daddy the candies & cookies :)) & will Make good use Of the oven mitt with all the baking I have left to do for the Holidays .

everything was so very nicely packed Nothing Broken :)
    & I have lots of Reading to do , so I'm off to the kitchen for some fresh brewed coffee & then curl up with the book this afternoon .
    Had to go out & get the drive shoveled out & was a good thing I did :)) Didn't have to shovel long for a guy going by saw me out there & he was very nice to plow us out with his truck & blade offered to pay him but he said Happy Holidays so that was very nice of him :)) .
    & gave me more time to open my box of goodies .

Again treasea thank you for a xmas Treasure your the greatest .

susie

• wynative
    16 years ago

I am HOME!!! wow, what a week it was.... flew to Oklahoma City on the 11th - was hoping that if we were deverted because of the ice storm, we would get to go to somewhere with a beach.. hehehe wishful thinking, huh? It must have not been much of an ice storm as we didn't see any evidence??? Drove over to Altus, arriving at 11:30pm, quick sleep back up at 5:00 to be at sisters by 6:30 to help start packing - very long day! Left Altus in the U-haul at 7:30am on the 13th and made it all the way to Dodge City Kansas.. yippeee... a whole 2 hours of travel before the sky opened up and DUMPED 7 inches of snow on us! It took us over 3 hours to go 40 miles - having to stop in the middle of the hwy. every 1 to 1.5 miles to clear off the ice/snow chunks from the window wipers. Stranded in a nasty little motel till Sunday morning with nothing to do but watch TV, yuck. I was so disappointed with DC,KS. I am a huge history/western buff and it wasn't anything to brag about. Granted, we were buried under all that snow but it just wasn't a friendly town...

The good news is that my sister and niece are home for Christmas and we should know if my loan goes through by tomorrow morning for her house!! It is the cutest house and at a great price, close to me and the school, with a HUGE yard that she said that I get to plan and plant till my heart is content!! Of course there are a few things that need attention but that is part of the fun, right? LOL

April/dirt_under_my_nails ~ so glad you liked your gifts. Yes, the stocking is handmade :)

glad to hear that all survived the nasty weather!
    Marie

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    16 years ago

Glad you liked the box Susie. It was sent with Florida warmth but I think I sent too much of the wamrth because it's COLD here now. Well, for me it is. Low 30's last night and tonight. Will warm up tomorrow though.

WELL, let me just say that I got the most wonderful box from Sassy yesterday. Sorry I couldn't post until now. The huge box arrived containing a gift basket with
    - a new '08 calendar (which I didn't have one yet) - beautiful cottage garden photos.
    - Several notepads with a 50's lady motif
    - a Christmas pinecone candle (You must have seen the Christmas decoration photos I posted last year - I love these)
    - a Christmas doornob pillow
    - a glass santa ornament (again, in the same style I use to do my tree)
    - a lotion and shower gel set
    - a drawer sachet (laundry linen scent)
    - a Christmas dish scrubber
    - a big double chocolate chip cookie
    - a sample of "Enchanting" Celine Dion perfume
    - and a BEAUTIFUL set of porcelain Christmas Angels - They are absolutely beautiful. I will find a very nice place for these beauties.

Thank you so very much, Sassy. Your gift was a bright spot to my week.

Theresa

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Beth, I'm happy you liked your box, I tried to find things useful on a trip. thankyou all for your music tips. I will go looking tomorrow. looks like he won't be here until thursday. Today I washed the linens on the extra bed, my dog has taken over that bed, she is cute if we don't go to bed early, at 8 pm she goes into her room and goes to bed. she watched me all day trying to figure out what I was doing to her bed. My dh works at lowes and I have to hear about sales on this thread. they had a super deal on a cordless drill and he managed to get that but 50 per cent off christmas he dosen't mention. happy shopping everyone. hugs carol

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Jeanne,
    Your box went out as promised dc# 0307 0020 0001 0808 5453. The post office wasn't too bad today. Yesterday was a mad house so I'm glad I didn't go yesterday.

Beth,
    I would figure you to be one to love the snow. I believe Alaska has a lot, lol. It is good to hear that everything is coming along and you will be on your way soon.

Shirley,
    You might as well enjoy those vacation days! A cookie party sounds like fun. I haven't made any cookies yet. The farthest I've gotten is buying the anisette for pizzelles.
    Lol, about Lowes. I did a lot of shopping today. I looked across the lot(I was at Target) and thought about it, but I knew I had to stay on task and buy for other people, lol.

Marie,
    Welcome home. Sorry to hear about the snow and bad hotel! What is DC? I only know that as District of Columbia, lol. I've got my fingers crossed for your loan.

Theresa,
    Low 30s is pretty cold. Any colder and your yard could look like mine,lol.

Carol,
    Lol about your husband, of course he isn't going to tell you about 50% off Christmas items.: )
    Have a good night everyone,
    Remy

• wynative
    16 years ago

Remy,

I was lazy and didn't type it out again....

DC,KS = Dodge City, Kansas

Kind of funny as I was just complaining that so many people are just putting initials now and I have a terrible time figuring out what they mean! LOL

Don't know about the house yet as the owners are over sea's and we are waiting for a reply email, we had to make another offer but the bank seems happy with the change - twiddling thumbs and tapping foot.... this is almost as hard as waiting for Santa to arrive!! :)

Happy Wednessday!
    Marie

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, everyone, as you continue to post when you mail and when you receive. My younger daughter and her husband arrive tomorrow for a before Christmas visit (this is the year they spend Chirstmas with his family) so I doubt that I will be online much over the next few days, but I'll be back to make sure Santa made all his deliveries!

Jeanne

• lunamoon
    16 years ago

Carol~ Your box went out on Monday so it should be arriving soon. I'd post the confirmation number but I left it in the car and it's too cold and I'm too tired and lazy to get it at the moment. LOL I'll post it for you tomorrow if your packages hasn't arrived by then.

Jenell

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Marie-Sure hope your loan goes through for the house, what fun it will be designing a new yard.

Remy-I need more will power for these 50% off sales...wish I could stay focused and stay out of these stores. Yum pizzelle cookies sounds divine. You know we should swap cookie recipes. The cutest cookie at the cookie party was a cookie that looked like a mouse. The lady took half of an oreo cookie and made a little mouse and placed it on the oreo. She had a candy kiss for its head and nose, a cherry dipped in chocolate for its body and the cherry stem was the tail. she halfed a nut and placed it on the head for ears, and the feet were little nestles chocolate morsels. I will have to take a picture and post it. I don't want to eat it until I have the directions wrote down and a picture of it.

Shirley

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Jaelle, Thankyou for the great box of goodies. I received
    choco crisp santa, right into tummy he went
    cozy buddy with massager
    vanilla hand lotion, 2 bee and flower soaps vanilla candle in a tin, bird suet and feeder, squirrels left with one of mine so needed another one. a flower stamp set, hershey reserve cocoa a pretty silver journal with a matching pen everything nicley wrapped with smaller ones in a cute ho ho ho red bucket with lid ho not hoe. I love my box thankyou Janelle. hugs carol

• wynative
    16 years ago

Yippy! Yahoo! and all that other stuff....

They excepted our offer for the house and we finally got to unload the u-haul last night - just into the garage but it is off the truck!

Below is the link to pic's that I took last night - not great but you can get an idea of the house. No outside pics as it was to dark, I plan to get them this weekend and post next week.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wynative
    Click on 'Peggy's House'

Details: 5 bdrm, 1.5 bath, built in 1927 so lots of original light fixtures (some new fans) and great original wood ceilings and hard word floors in every room! The dining room is my favorite - so pretty. The choices the previous people used is quite awful IMO but that is an easy fix. The main bath has the original sink, toilet, tub and inserted soap dishes, they are lavender! I love them but sister thinks they will cause nightmares! Yes, she insists that they be replaced....

18,000 square feet of yard!!! Some fenced and some not, a few mature tree's marking the property lines, some rose bushes in front of the house and I am sure there are other flowers/shrubs that are dormate for the winter but with that much room I am going to be busy, busy, busy! Our brother does landscaping in AZ and has agreed to share idea's and help with a cactus garden for the center of the 1/2 moon drive - drive isn't there yet but I have drawn up the plans. :)

Have a great Christmas everyone!
    Marie

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Here's the mouse sitting atop half an oreo cookie.

Marie-Congratulations...I will look up those pictures right now.

Shirley

• sassyd
    16 years ago

Marie congrat's to you and your sister, I'm so happy for you both.

Shirley that mouse is adorable, lol, what a neat idea.

Well we're getting close to it, hope all is going well with last minute things for everyone.

Oh, Theresa....so glad you liked your Christmas package. I loved those angels and got us both a set, but the box they came in just didn't go with my presentation! lol

Well wishes to everyone~
    Sassy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Remy, just a quick note to let you know that the package from you arrived yesterday. I am not a "waiter" - opened it up as soon as it got here! Still have my company - in fact, we are treating today as if it were Christmas day, so I will be back to post a list of what I got later.
    Anyway, thanks so much!

Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    16 years ago

Marie, that is great news.I was having nightmares for a while about my daughter not having an address or real home by Christmas so I know a bit about how you were feeling.The house sounds fantastic. And, how nice to be able to live near your Sis
    Shirley, that mouse is just so cute and sweet. You are very clever.

Hugs and Merry Christmas to all
    bb

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, it seems very odd but we had "Christmas Day" here yesterday while my younger daughter and her husband were here, so I keep wondering about the advertising in the newspaper... gee, isn't Christmas over with? LOL It may be nice in a way - the actual Christmas Day will be quiet for us with just a nice meal... and church and a few hours of work for me.
    Anyway, I really wanted to get back online to give Remy a proper thank you. Remy, I loved your package! The container that she used was a photo storage box with a snowman design. Lots of other snowman things, too... so cute! I got three types of snowman ornaments - one is called Garden Bells - Snowman of Winter Gardens - how appropriate is that? (Has anyone done any winter sowing yet? I wanted to do some on the Winter Solstice, but not yet ... will plant a few things later today I think.) I also got the cutest Christmas tree serving dish with a cheese or jam spreader that has a light bulb at the top and the light bulb actually lights up. I got excited seeing something so unique! I also got snowman ribbon, a nice card, coasters with pictures of herbs (love herbs!), dill pickles made by Remy (how special - and the jar didn't break...which is even better!) There was also a cute little calendar, a travel mug - which is a great gift because lots of winter mornings I take coffee or hot tea with me when I head out the door, fabric for quilting (love it), some "Holiday Sparkle" votive candles - they smell great, and seeds: Red Castor Bean, Arctotis, Rudbeckia maxima, Rudbekia laciniata, and several others including some unusual tomato seeds which I will really enjoy.
    Thank you so much, Remy! I love everything that you sent. I hope I remembered to list everything.

Everyone has sent their packages for this swap and they have all been received. Yahoo!!! Hooray!!! Thank you to everyone for getting them to the recipients in time for Christmas. Everyone sent wonderful packages and you made my job as hostess a breeze!
    No one sent gifts in the container that was selected, so I guess I will turn this into a guessing game. If you are the first one to guess the container that was "pulled from the hat" I will send you a little prize. I'll give a small hint - it's garden related. Take a guess! The deadline is Christmas Day. Hope someone wins the little prize!

Marie, it sounds like you had quite an adventure with the travels, snow, and house shopping for your sister, but so glad everything worked out. I enjoyed everyone's accounts of what is going on and the other pictures. I don't think we will see any snow here, but I love snow - especially freshly fallen snow and the big fluffy flakes when they fall and cover the branches of the trees, etc. - so beautiful!
    A lady in our Master Gardener group makes a mouse similar to the one posted. Only she uses "Hugs" for the face and doesn't add feet to them. I think she may also dip the cherry in white chocolate instead of regular, but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, they are cute as can be and we always get excited to see them at our Christmas lunch!

Have a great Christmas, everyone!

Jeanne

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Jeanne-Let's see could it be a flower pot?

Shirley

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Jeanne, I will guess a watering can. :O)

Melissa

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shirley, you got it! First guess we had. Melissa, your guess was a great one, too, and since I have two of these little gifts - I had a gift set aside for the sender of the container and the first to receive it also - I will be sending just a little something to each of you.
    Merry Christmas!

• veeja11
    16 years ago

Pat yourself on the back Jeanne, for a job well done as well as everyone else who sent and posted promptly. makes it much more fun. thankyou Sandyrose. a wonderful job. hugs carol

• remy_gw
    16 years ago

Hi All,
    I've been so busy. I made cookies and stuff all night after work and then I answered some email. I wasn't going to write anything tonight because I'm tired. I was ready to go to bed but I realized it may be awhile until I can post again. So I want to tell the story I promised before.

11 years ago in August, Gary's brother, Joe, died helping a motorist who's car had been hit on a major highway. He got struck by a motorcycle that was speeding and then a car driven by a drunk driver. It was as you can imagine was quite an awful time. We as a family decided to donate all of Joe's organs. We felt that he died trying to help someone and it is what he would of wanted.
    Thanksgiving with Gary's family wasn't the best that year of course. Christmas as far as I could see wasn't going to be much better. On Christmas morning Gary and I got up. He was watching tv, and I was reading the newspaper.
    I started to read the letter to the editor part of the paper. There was letter from a woman from NJ writing to thank the family who made the decision to donate the organs of the man who had died on the highway. At that point, I just started to whell up with tears and Gary of course couldn't figure out why the paper would make me cry. I tried to read out loud to him, but I couldn't get it out and by that time I was bawling.
    The woman's brother had received Joe's heart, and surely would of died. It was a wonderful thing she did sending that letter. We were very sad, but we were also very happy to know that people were alive because of him. It made a tough Christmas bearable. So the best gift we ever got cost no more than the time it took her to write a letter and the stamp to mail it.
    (As a side note,Gary's parents eventually found out about all the people(info without names) he helped. And they did meet the man who got his lungs and became friends with him. They also are active members in UNYTS, the local organ donor group. Also the next year Gary's sister had a baby, the first grandchild. There's nothing like a baby to help lift people's spirits.)

Ok, I've got to go to bed. Tomorrow is a long day at work, and then I've got to visit my baby brother and his family in the evening.
    Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas,
    Remy

• sandlapper_rose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Merry Christmas, everyone!!!

Remy, I am so sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. However, the part where you read the letter to the editor on Christmas morning made it so special to think of how that all came together to make things so meaningful. Yes, we have our losses and our sad times and those sometimes fall upon us on the holidays, but there is gladness and joy as well.

I planted about 9 winter solstice containers the other day and had not planted in December before. We will see how this goes. The earliest I planted for winter sowing before was late in Jan.
    This thread is probably close to full, but just wanted to say Merry Christmas to my special friends - my Bloomin' Friends!

Jeanne

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago
  • wynative
    16 years ago

Remy - what a beautiful story! sniff, sniff now I have to go fix my makeup....

out door pic's of the house will be on my web shots this afternoon. :)

Marie

• amybabyboy3
    16 years ago

Remy and Carol, Thank you so much for remembering me with the beautiful Christmas cards. I was so surprised because I haven't been on gardenweb in so long. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and hope you all have a Wonderful New Year! Amy

• brittneysgran
    16 years ago

Remy-Thank you for that heart warming story. Your brother-in-law was a true hero. Anymore you can't get folks to stop and help anyone and donating his organs was so thoughtful. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Shirley

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz