Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webkat5

UPDATE: Adopt-A-Newbie!!

webkat5
18 years ago

Attention Newbies and Veterans:

Please continue to check here for arrival confirmations and thank-you letters from the Newbies!!

WebKat5 (Santa)

Comments (77)

• debbiedo7
    18 years ago

OH WOW!!!!
    Rudolph flew by here today. I was soooooo excited, bounced around just like a little kid. Even shook it like a little kid and ya know what it jingled!! I tore into the envelope and found Sweets, Bells, confetti and OMG you wouldn't believe all the different seeds!! I even got passion flower seeds. Let's see if I planted my whole yard & then even took over some of the church property behind me I might be able to use all the seeds. LOL but of course I can't. I have to figure out just how to combine sowing in the garden to be able to enjoy all this year.
    THANK YOU Webkat for doing this for us. Also to all the wonderful gardeners that shared their seeds. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate this. I also want to say a special Thank You to Elvis as she sent me a package earlier with all kind of precious seeds too. I feel so LOVED
    I pray that God richly Blesses all of You this year with beautiful gardens and Good Health.
    ;o)
    Debbie

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

I think it's only fitting that I post after lil_ greenthumb.

I got mine today too. Thanks for the work you put in and thanks to everyone that sent in seeds. So many cool things. And way more than I imagined. I think I may go adopt two newbies myself. I certainly have enough to share now.

Thanks

• webkat_serendipity
    18 years ago

Make sure you look all of your seeds up on Google Images (if you are unsure of what they are) before you decide whether you want to keep them or trade them...
    Glad to hear they are arriving safely!!

WebKat5

• plantas
    18 years ago

WebKat5,
    I also recieved my package today. Thank you sooo much. It felt like christmas, I even heard bells ringing, musta been old rudolph. I especially want to thank my adoptive friends, who sent special packs. I am so ready to plant my veggies. I even turned and weeded my dirt, it was so much easier to do this after the rain.

Hugz to, Kathy, and vets.
    Plantas

• riverats
    18 years ago

I received my package today! It was the most wonderful gift EVER. My husband and I spent hours looking them all over. There were several I had been planning on purchasing this year. And so many surprises. Thank you all so much for your kindnesses. I am especially looking forward to planting the ones I had to look up. Always fun to try something different and new.
    Thank you webkat for all the hard work and to all the vets for the time and gathering of the seeds
    we reep what we sow!

• mrbrownthumb
    18 years ago

I forgot to say that many of the seeds that came in were things I really wanted. A few were even seeds I was going to mail order. So it really was a double surprise. Some I had to google, but most I already knew the names of. I was surprised how many names I knew off the top of my head. I guess a summer immersed in trade pages and looking stuff up really helped.

Thanks again to everyone...especially you WebKat. I don't know if you remember but I showed you a pic of a garden, when we first met on the exchange page, that I really wanted to recreate. Just a couple of months ago it seemed like an impossible task to find these plants let alone buying them. Now I have just the right varieties and a good quantity to try to recreate that garden of my dreams.

MBT

• webkat_serendipity
    18 years ago

I do remember MBT...I supplied the Black Coleus 'Palisandra' for the borders....I am sure it will be beautiful when you are finished!! I am so glad you are happy with the selection!!

So sorry I didn't get a note placed in everyone's package....:o(
    Hey, at least I didn't forget the seeds!! :o)

WebKat5

• danaoh
    18 years ago

OMG!!!! There is a Santa, and it is named Webkat and my special friend Raney10 that adopted me.

Thought I had my wsing under control, then the seeds came -I am out scrounging for more containers now.

Haven't been this excited in so long (don't tell my dh)

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou

WebKat - you truly have earned your place in heaven (you will probably be in charge of the heavenly gardens)

• landshaper
    18 years ago

Dear Santa, (aka WebKat5)
    WOW!!! was my first reaction after opening the envelope. I felt like a kid again.The quantity and diversity of seeds really surprised me. I would like to thank all the Elves (veterans)and especially WebKat5 for making this happen.Some seeds will be planted, some shared all were appreciated.Next season I hope to a contributing Veteran too. Pete (landshaper)

• flowerpixie
    18 years ago

I came home from work this morning tired and feet aching, I checked the mailbox and guess what I found...YUP, ITS HERE!!! I did a happy dance (or a happy limp in my case) and got to opening the package, WOW!! THANK YOU so much to everyone who contributed to this, your generosity is OVERWHELMING!!! Webkat, your the best, thanks for taking the time to do this for us!

• zoegurl2001_z7
    18 years ago

Well, I had to re-register, too, WebKat. It still won't reckognize my username and password. I sure hope gw fixes things soon.
    Anyway, I just wanted to say that I am so glad that the newbies are starting to get their goodies, and that they are happy with them!! I hope they grow beautifully for you all, better get that winter sowing started! :))

~Summer/ZoeGurl2001

• webkat_serendipity
    18 years ago

This is from Michigoose (is locked out of GW):

I got the package! Woooohoooo! What a bonus. I'm going to have fun sharing some with my neighbor who I also got to do some ws. I'm one of the poor souls who has been locked out of GW. It stinks..... Lisa (Michigoose)

• webkat_serendipity
    18 years ago

This is from Bellarosa (also locked out)

"I tried logging in today on GW, but got error messages each time. I sure hope they fix this soon!

I also wanted to let you know that I received my package of seeds yesterday. All I can say is WOW! I couldn't believe the quantity of seeds and the great variety of them. I really want to thank you and all of the veteran seed sowers for sending so many seeds. It was like Christmas all over! I loved the confetti, bells and candy! How wonderful!

Thank you again!"

GW name: Bellarosa

• kudzu9
    18 years ago

Webkat and all of the elves-
    Thanks so much. What a lot of work to do all this. There's nothing like Xmas in January! I just got my seeds yesterday and was overwhelmed. I think I got enough to almost start a seed store. My yard is going to look great this year, and I hope to be able to help out with donations next Xmas if Webkat has any energy left to try this again.

P.S.: Loved the jingle bell!

• missourilark
    18 years ago

I,too,received my package today! All the little packets...
    Webkat,and veterans...THANKS SO MUCH!!!I have quite a variety of seeds,can't wait to get winter sowing.
    This took a tremendous amount of effort on your part, and I appreciate it greatly.The treats were special also Webkat.
    I have enough to sow,and some to share now!! HUGS!! to all of you(just a little excited here,lol) Off to Google I go...:o)

• sciencelady
    18 years ago

Wow, wow, wow -I just got my seeds after coming home from work today. What a way to start the weekend! So many thanks to all the veterans and particuarly Webcat5 for your generosity of seeds and spirit! (It is better than Christmas for Mom-according to my kids, who loved the little packages, we spent some time going over all of the seeds) Perfect to go with the dirt I received from Santa!
    Thanks again-I am off to google the ones I don't recognise....

Eileen (Sciencelady)

• breeze03
    18 years ago

OMG!!!! I can't beleive everything that came out of my envelope actually fit in there to begin with!!!! Thank you so much to all the veterans who donated their wonderful seeds! Thank you WebKat5 for putting this all together! I opened my envie and heard jingling and it is spread across my entire kitchen table! This is going to be so much fun winter-sowing and planting..going to have plants coming out my ears!! :) Happy Girl here!!!!!!! Thank you!!! Gotta go see what all goodies I have :) Giggles...Desiree
    Thank you all so much again!!

• webkat5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am back!!!! Oh boy!!!

I just can't tell you how happy (warm fuzzy) it makes me feel to know all of you (so far) are pleased with the selections!!

Wanted to let some of you know, if you "added" to your wish lists when you sent your envelopes, I did my best to accomodate, but mostly stuck to the original (the one that the veterans were able to see).

Has anyone noticed the reason that Rudolph was the "winning reindeer"??

Hmmmmmmm.......

WebKat5

• breeze03
    18 years ago

Rudolph is such a cutie! WebKat5 I want to Thank all of you again. And Thank You for the warm wishes! Looking through everything I really realized how much time you spent because I had put down a favorite color and that's what you included and so much more!! Thanks again! I'll now be ready for next year when all these babies grow up to donate their babies as a veteran! Giggles....hugs to you all!

• quicksilver
    18 years ago

Stunned shock and awe!!! I recognized the big red bubble envelope in the mailbox as the one I had sent to Santa. As I removed it from the box I couldn't help but notice that it was not the sleek package that I originally sent. It was a rotund heavy, boy this is heavy package. One third of the envelope was decorated with postage stamps. As I stumbled into the house my knees were buckling under the weight of the ringing/tinkling package. Stunned shock and awe! It has taken me two days to go through the massive assortment of seeds! I now have the capacity to turn my mothers yard into a hummingbird paradise! Actually I can turn it into a paradise of many different themes! Thank you veterans and Kathy for your generousity! I will spend the next week on Google working on my learning curve. One added treat to this already amazing Xmass. Santa included passiflora incarnata seeds in my package. I am very excited about the possibility of this flower blooming this summer! Thank you again veterans and Kathy! - Del Thurston

• webkat5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, Del...were you the one who got all of the 3 cent stamps....lol!!

That was something I wanted to mention....

You don't know how much I appreciated those who sent extra stamps...they were certainly needed....
    The P.O. clerk and I used all of the extras that I had...we reserved the 3 cent ones for the envy's with a little more room on them.....

Glad you were happy!! I know you were exagerating a bit about the weight, but loved the descriptiveness, nonetheless!! Also, for all of those excited to receive Passiflora incarnata, you can primarily thank kizzyseeds....she sent enough for everyone!!! (I just divided them as evenly as I could for everyone).
    Those who had it on their wish list may have received more than one pack if it was available....

WebKat5

• IBelieve
    18 years ago

Wow it took me five tried but I got it to log me in weird that I cant even stay logged in either.

Well well well well Santa was a very good santa this year to me.
    I had to stand in line for 20 mins at the PO and boy was it well worth it. The mail carrier said he did not want to give me my package when he heard seeds were in it he did not believe me when I said my name and then I said there is seeds in there I heard the bell and said there is a jingle bell inside too it really is me I did not have my ID on me you see. So he was going to be Mr Grinch and not give me my package. If he was cute I would of followed him home but not so I gave him the evil EYE... That seemed to work and he reluctantly handed over my prized package.
    Well when I got home before my boy friend teehee lucky me cause I love the werthers inside and I did not share it with Dana lol....
    Well I have been going thru all the wonderful seeds and I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my pea picking heart a huge huge huge THANK YOU TO the veterins and our Santa Claus Webcat also to Rudolph for he was the leader of the pack to ensure our packages arrived on time and thru sleet and snow and FOG.... He guided the sleigh to all our boxes with so much gusto I have to make sure he gets a treat next christmas. Thank you everyone I am so happy .
    I also wanted to say thanks for the note but I wont be able to share or trade these cause I will be using every last one of them. Dana and I will make sure there is plenty of space for each and every one of these beauties that I am sure there wont be enough left over at all. I am finally going to be a gardener now and I owe it all to you for making it happen. I never thought I would be able to trade due to having nothing at all in which to grow to trade with. This spring when everything blooms I will have stuff to trade thank you one and all.
    Kaitlin

SMOOCHIES Santa

• webkat5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am copying these posts from the Winter Sowing forum:

Thank you SO much WebKat & Everyone!
    Posted by newbieroselover z4 WNC Mtns (My Page) on Sat, Jan 7, 06 at 9:25

It's Christmas again!! I got the package of all the seeds everyone so kindly donated for us newbies, and I'm absolutely stunned and so grateful at your generosity. WebKat, I'm agog at how much work you put into this project. Thank you so very, very much! Except for the seeds that need cold treatment, I'm going to control my desire to plant, plant, plant these until late February, to really give these babies a good chance (it was single digits here on the mountain last night, with serious wind chill).

I really hope my plants produce alot of seed this coming season, so I can return the favor and help other folks.

Thanks again, you're all amazing.

Best,
    Janice

Follow-Up Postings:

o RE: Thank you SO much WebKat & Everyone!

* Posted by: lblack61 z5 NY (My Page) on Sat, Jan 7, 06 at 10:18

That was a great idea WebKat came up with for you all. Pretty cool!

* Posted by: michigoose Z5OH (My Page) on Sat, Jan 7, 06 at 10:33

It's double Christmas! I got my package the other day and NOW I can get back on GW. WAHOO! thanks so much for all your hard work Webkitty, and for all those who sent in seads....great fun!

* Posted by: psymbiosis z7 NM (My Page) on Sat, Jan 7, 06 at 11:55

I got mine too! I just finished logging them into my list of seeds! Wow, I was not expecting so many. Thanks to everyone who generously donated seeds.

Sam

* Posted by: strmywthr3 5 Central OH (My Page) on Sat, Jan 7, 06 at 17:34

I got mine yesterday too. It was like xmas all over again!! Thank you guys so much! I can't believe how many seeds I received. I'm looking forward to planting them and trying all the varieties that I got.

thanks again!!
    Barbi

• evilei
    18 years ago

YOU PEEPS ARE KILLING ME!!

I waited for the mail all day today & nuthin. Pooh. I guess I'll have to wait until Monday.

I really do feel like a kid waiting for Santa.

Thanks.
    Ei

• webkat5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ei, you crack me up!!
    All the snowflakes on your envy probably confused the P.O. man/woman...LOL!! You won the prize for most elaborate bubble envy, that's for sure!!!
    Guys, it was purplish/blue with snowflakes (at least I think they were snowflakes) all over it....very pretty!!

Rudolph will get it there, I am sure!! He had better!!

Hang in there!!

WebKat5

• webkat5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just in case no one believed me about
    the black bag full of newbie packets....ha!

yea...needed to use up my camera pics so I could import a full batch

• wvjoy72
    18 years ago

Received my seeds yesterday. Husband was thrown off by the jingling and couldn't wait to see what was inside. I never expected so many seeds!

Thanks WebKat5 and to all of the veterans

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Now that I can get on, I also wanted to say how much I enjoyed all the interesting packaging that people did....Not only am I enjoying the seeds, and the fruits of Webkitty's labor, but how creative you guys were! I can't wait to share some of my largesse, and harvest seed for new newbies and oldtimers (from my cache of specialties I DO have growing here) next year!

Let the dirt fly!

• gibsona
    18 years ago

OMG!!! Santa does still believe in me!!! Kathy, there simply aren't enough words to thank you for all you have done! Not only the wonderful, bountiful assortment of seeds, but a personalized note, Christmas confetti, candy and even jingle bells!! How cool! My kids think I'm crazy, but I just can't wait to get starting google-ing them all and then on to the planting. Thank you sooo very much to all of the veterans for your contributions. I hope you all know what a wonderful thing you have done.

Have a good one!
    Ann

• barefoot_in_texas
    18 years ago

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh Got my package on Saturday and was I ever excited. Thank you so much Webkat and all the veterans who joined together to make a bunch of newbies very, very happy. What an assortment of seeds. I too will be googling a few of these. I got so many things that were on my wish list plus all the extras that hadn't even been imagined by my newbie brain. I can't wait to start to WS. I'm trying to hold off until February, since we still have temps in the upper 70's to low 80's. Just hope I can control the urge to plant, plant, plant. I expect to have beautiful garden this year and can't wait to share with everyone here who has been so generous. By the way, DH was getting a little annoyed cause I kept interrupting his newpaper reading with, "look honey, look at this" He finally gave up and came to the kitchen table to share my excitement first hand. Again a big thank you Webkat for putting this together and hugs and thanks to all the vets who contributed.

• strmywthr3
    18 years ago

I hope whoever donated the seeds can help me out. I received a packet of beans labeled "black bean green bean pole bean" - is this a dry bean or a snap bean?

I also received one labeled "anasazi pole bean" is it a dry bean or a snap bean?

I want to thank everyone again for their donations. I'm looking forward to wintersowing this year and having lots of new flowers and new veggies to try.

thanks again everyone! and a HUGE thanks to webkat for organizing all of this!

Barbi

• evilei
    18 years ago

I am dumbfounded. I just cannot thank you people enough! I got my package today and am so thrilled.

I wish that all of the packages had your names on them so that I could know which seed is from who. I'm so thrilled. Oh, I already said that.

Thank you all so very much. I am now going to start organizing and planning & googling and....

WebKat you are da bomb!
    ei

• wrichard
    18 years ago

Oh My Gosh! I received my seeds today! I am so excited and I can't thank you enough for all of what you generous people have done. I hope to have much success growing my plants and collecting new seeds so I can share with others as you have done for me.

Thanks again!
    Wendy

• schmily
    18 years ago

My package came last night and I was overwhelmed. Obviously I'm going to have to scrounge up a LOT more containers than I had originally planned. Thanks so much to all the vets who contributed and to WebKat for pulling it all together. Seeds, Glorious seeds!!!

• midlandsgardner
    18 years ago

WebKat5,
    I got my big fat envelope yesterday. I can't believe how generous everyone is - seed packets just kept spilling out and out and out... And I love the wonderful variety.

Veterans, you all are the best!!! I can't wait to join your ranks and pass it forward.

Thanks again,
    Mary Evelyn - Midlandsgardner

• dem_pa
    18 years ago

strmywthr3 and others

black bean green bean pole- "snap" and very prolific.

Anasazi pole bean - dry or soup bean

• strmywthr3
    18 years ago

dem_pa,

thank you very much for the info. and THANKS A TON for all the seeds!

Barbi

• petalpusher_tx
    18 years ago

I got my packet, and WOW!! I couldn't believe all the wonderful seeds. This is better than a box of chocolates! hm hm, well, maybe not better than chocolate but close. Anyway, thank you so much to all the veterans for your more than generous contributions, I wish I could thank each one of you. Thanks to Webkat for all her hard work I can't imagine what a job that must have been. A special thanks to gardenjen for her special packet of wonderful seeds. I just know I will have a beautiful garden this year thanks to all of you.
    God bless all of you.
    Carol

• ladybug_05
    18 years ago

Hi Got my package and want to say Thank you!!Thank you!!!Thank you.So happy and excited felt like a kid wait-en on my goodies and goodies I did get!!love the bell and confetti and Rudolph really made it special and nice Made a grey jan ,day a sunny bright one for me thanks and hugs to everyone!!!!!!!!!Angela

• quicksilver
    18 years ago

I am getting the greatest kick out of this event! I have been doing the Google thing for the last two days. Looking up flowers and working on my latin in one session! Magic was enclosed in that bubble envelope, passiflora incarnata, lantana camara, rudbeckia nitida, canna variabillis! Mom likes salvia. She can have her own garden with a multitde of colors! Thanks again veterans and Kathy.

• faerieannette
    18 years ago

did you have to post that picture :-( I wish I didn't miss out. Do I still get to be a newbie next year? ;-)

-Annette

• dotties_place
    18 years ago

So so sorry I am a few days late posting that my HUGE packet of seeds arrived on Monday. We had excitment on the home front this week (new great grandbaby girl) and didn't get much time to get this BIG THANK YOU out to Kathy and all the veteran that made this happen. I have just started sorting through all the wonderful packets of seeds and am completely overwhelmed!!! As someone else stated, I need to get busy finding more w/s containers!!

A HUGE BIG HUG to Kathy and all.

Happy gardening to everyone.
    Dottie

• gikrissy
    18 years ago

Kathy,
    Got my newbie pkg with some seeds from my wish list and a whole lot more. Thanks to all who donated to the cause. Looks like I'll have to turn the guest shower into a mini greenhouse. Seriously. Guests will just have to hose off outside.
    Thanks again,
    Kristell

• ghoghunter
    18 years ago

Dear Dottie,
    Congratulations of your new arrival!!! How wonderful! Give her a big kiss for me! I hope you got some of my seeds and a flower grows for her.
    Joann

• vcukittykat
    18 years ago

My package arrived on Thursday. I came running into the house and started dancing around. My partner thought I had lost my mind until he saw the seed package in my hands. He even got off the computer to look through all the seeds with me. I felt exactly like a child at Christmas. I was so excited. Then when I opened the package and all of the tons of seeds came pouring out, I was amazed. I got all choked up from everyone's generosity. There are just not enough words to express how thankful I am to WebKat and all of the veterans who did this.
    When my 10 year old daughter came home from school, I excitedly showed her all of the seeds too. We looked through them all again. I showed her pictures of the ones she did not know. She was really excited and asked me when we could start seeds. A special thanks from my daughter for the Dogwood and Love-In A-Puff seeds. The Dogwood is special to her because it reminds her of Virginia. The Love-In-A-Puff seeds she thought were really cute with the hearts on the seeds.
    Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all the wonderful seeds and the happy memories they will give me and my children.
    A very special thanks to WebKat.
    The jingle bells were a cute idea.

• suebo
    18 years ago

Hi,
    I am a newbie, I just joined the board and started gathering seed this week. I have never grew from seeds, always just bought the plant or flower. I thought this would be a great hobby.
    Thanks,
    Susan

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Santa is back!!

MrsGalihad will be your new Santa this year!!

Her main page is on the seed exchange:

Adopt-A-Newbie 2006 on the Seed Exchange forum

I brought these pages back so you can check out the great fun we had last year.

Thank you MrsGalihad!!

• JTv15
    9 years ago

Hi I'm a newbie who took my first stab at a vegetable garden this past year and would like vegetable seeds that will work in zone 6b I'm not too picky and any vegetable or herb seeds will be greatly appreciated

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

JTv15,
    This is an old thread. There's a couple things you need to do to get successful results.
    1. You need to add your email. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Member Pages". Find the right link and update your email. Nobody can contact you if you don't put up your email. If you click on (My Page) behind anyone's posting it shows Clippings / Journal /Trade List / Send Email. That's where you click to send someone an email--and how we trade addresses so the whole world doesn't get our personal information.
    2. Click on Trade List to create your list. There are 4 parts: 1. seeds you have to trade 2. seeds you want to receive 3. plants you have to trade 4. plants you want to receive. This is a wonderful tool. Everyone can see what you have and what you want and make arrangements for a trade. Be as general or specific as you want. Don't be embarrassed if you don't have seeds to trade yet--because you will soon! People love to help each other.

3. Click on Forums in the upper left bar, then on Garden Forums. An alphabetized list will show up. Go to S--and click on Seed Exchange. Post your wants on the seed exchange. You click Want and fill in what you're looking for. Example: Wanted: garden veggies for newbie. Looking for tomatoes, hot peppers, bush beans, but I'll try anything once.

I hope we haven't lost you. This site is rather confusing without clear instruction. For those of us who use it we like it, but it took us awhile to get it!
    Heidi

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Heidi
    I emailed you on your "wanted: Seeds for SASBE" but I haven't heard from you and wonder if you received my email. I went back and put my email on the thread, I will delete it after I hear from you.
    I need your address to send my SASBE.
    Mary E.

This post was edited by cottonwood468 on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 22:23

Sponsored
Home Rescue Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudoun County's in Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions