Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrob46

UPDATE: What's Left On My Want List Swap #3

patrob
9 years ago

More than half the packages are already here! The mailing deadline is just 12 days away. I hope everyone is staying warm and well.

Comments (159)

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Omg! Wowzors! I received my fabulous pack today. A million thank yous to everyone who sent in seeds for me. I can't believe how many things I was able to take off my "want" list. Thank you all for your generosity. It's going to be an honor to raise your seeds from babies into full blown beauties.

Pat -- This swap has exceeded all expectations. My deepest gratitude for all the hard work you put into matching seed to recipient.

For anyone who participated in the swap, don't forget to leave a few kind words for Patricia on the Rate & Review forums. Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: patrob Rate & Review

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

i am still in hardly can wait mode till my seeds show up next week....but i suppose i can get a vicarious thrill from you all who already got theirs =)

and totally patrob, i'm sure that as much as you love doing this for us, you are probably breathing a big sigh of relief to have it done!!!! did you get a final count? curious...a bazillion plus seeds sorted, or what?

• primrose1x3
    9 years ago

lol to both Leila and Heidi - If I were not over-compensating for Attention Deficit Disorder, I'd be right up there with all the other "creative" labelers.

Anyhoo, if seed swapping be a happy/crazy madness, then sign me up. This is fun :)

Leila, Salvia sclarea sounds good to me. Someone once paid me for a job in seeds of this plant and it self-sowed wonderfully for years but then I lost it. I'm so glad to have it back. Thank you!

Pat, I'm getting a closer look at the seeds you sent me as I log them, and the number of wishes you fulfilled and wonderful serendipities you proferred that I never knew I couldn't live without just boggle my mind - can't tell you how pleased I am with this swap.

And likewise to all my fellow swappers for making this swap so great, too.

Karen

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

it's a really awesome plant =) i am loving how it self seeds, sometimes i have to transplant them out to better spots, but that works out great too. its perrenial ish....like only so many keep surviving, while some die off, as best as i can tell...so tender perennial, or perennial in zone 8 + well i am guessing here...but thats what i think.

you got me curious enough to look up all the other common named "clary" sage varieties...well i like to learn and research as much as i can about different stuff. i will try to remember to label that one better for clarity.

i actually believe the variety i have was originally, long ago before all labels were lost, salvia sclarea var turkestanica but then i looked that up too and only found white flowered versions? so perhaps it is just salvia scalerea...though it is lighter colored more pale flowered color than most. so perhaps it is var. turkestanica.

and totally, my scatterbrainedness gets me in trouble with labelling...thinking o i will remember what this is later...when i find a pen or whatever else...and then of course totally forget!
    well having gone through that so many times i have gotten a lot better at it every year...but i dont label most of the stuff in the outdoor gardens...

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Thank you Patrica and swappers, for a lovely envelope of seeds. I will be sowing away on this MLK day.
    Alana

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Just got my package yesterday and looked through it last night!!!!! Amazing! Thank you for all the time you took to do this great swap!! Thank you to everyone who sent me seeds :) Can't wait to do again next year!!!

Now excuse me as I go winter sow a ton more of these!!!! :)
    ~Michael

• SusanC
    9 years ago

My package arrived yesterday evening, and wowzer!, what a treasure trove! I can not believe some of my wishes that were fulfilled; seeds that have been on my list for years and years can now be taken off.

Every aspect of this swap is such a joy: giving, anticipating, receiving and sowing. Thank you, Pat, for your herculean efforts that make this possible. I am in awe of your organizational skills! ...and thank you to my fellow swappers for your kindness, thoughtfulness and generosity.

best,
    Susan

• velsgarden
    9 years ago

Im so happy !!!!! I received the gunnera seeds in the swap.Have any of you ever winter sowed these seeds with success?Every thing I have read says they need to be fresh seed.I am so wanting this plant!!!! Any help would be appreciated!!!
    Velvet

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

My turn to ask about a pack of seeds I received. What is "marginata cream" 2013? That's all that is on the label, no sender's name or I would contact privately, no genus. It sounds intriguing or I would not bother.
    Thanks in advance for clarification!
    Alana

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    9 years ago

My package came yesterday and have my seeds all sorted out. Thanks to everyone in the swap for sharing your seeds and to Patricia for all of her work. Doing the happy dance now!

• ruthz
    9 years ago

I'd like to ask a question on this pack please.
    The seeds are tiny like dark colored tomato seeds.

I googled and maybe it's
    Hollyhock (Malva Moschata Rosea) - Also known as Musk Mallow Rose.

• molanic
    9 years ago

Got my package yesterday and am super impressed after just my first look through. I was thinking my list was getting so specific that I wouldn't have very much wintersowing to do this year since I didn't buy any seeds. Boy, was I wrong! You all sent me tons of really amazing stuff. Special thanks to Katie for sending those massive buckeye seeds, in addition to all the other wonderful natives! Those are hefty buggers! A big thanks to all swappers and especially our super organized hard-working host, Pat.

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alana, I think I remember seeing a packet of Portulaca seeds labeled 'Margarita Cream.' That might be what yours are.

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Thanks Pat. I have that pack, too (love it). This is a different pack which clearly says 'marginata'. It could be that someone meant to write Margarita and wrote marginata instead.
    I could do that ;). But there is no sign of the word Portulaca on there.

• lovesblooms
    9 years ago

This swap was just as wonderful as last year--thanks to everyone for sharing so much, and \thank you, Pat for your incredible seed sorting skills!

Alana, the Margarita Cream is a Portulaca--sorry about the odd labeling mishap there!

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Thank you for that, loves! I will plant it.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Pat,
    One of the great parts of this swap was getting seeds as extras. I said I didn't want a lot of extras, but I found things I didn't even know existed. Can't wait to try out some new things! It's the Wild Card of the swap and so much fun!
    Heidi

• cghpnd
    9 years ago

This is just wonderful. I am like OMG! I got my package! I am super duper impressed and grateful! I absolutely LOVE everything that was given to me. Im speechless actually.
    I can not wait to try these out. I will try every single one out! Yall have saved me so much money!
    thank you thank you thank you! Thank U pat for doing this. I know u had your plate full doing this.
    Thanks!!!! :D

• wilsha
    9 years ago

I am in AWE! :) Received my package today and was so moved as I looked at each packet. Pat, I appreciate all the work you put into this. My want list was quite limited and still I received many seeds that I am so grateful to plant. Thank you ALL sooooooo much!!! I'm tearing up as I write this.

I am filled with much appreciation!

Now I must end this so I can look at my packets, again! :)

• kchd
    9 years ago

Got my seeds yesterday! Got home around 10 pm after a looong day at work. Took a shower, got into bed with the package and took a quick look at a handful of packs. Too pooped for much more, but the package looks awesome as usual. Thank you Pat for all your time dedicated to this swap, and thank you fellow participants for joining in!

Katie

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Thank you Pat for all the work you put into this swap and big thanks to all who sent seeds in for me! As usual I rec'd some amazing seeds that I had wanted! I can't thank you all enough!
    Melinda

• jas_il
    9 years ago

I got my package yesterday and I am thrilled. I received some new varieties and some water plant seeds too and really looking forward to plant them. I absolutely LOVE everything I got. I couldn't be happier than this. Thanks for lots of extras. Thanks everyone for sending me nice selections and my special thanks to Pat for all her work.

• lavenderpyly
    9 years ago

So exacted got my package yesterday, thank you everyone!!!

• lavenderpyly
    9 years ago

So exacted got my package yesterday, thank you everyone!!!

• leila hamaya
    9 years ago

holy basil batman!!!
    =P

just got my package and its sooooo awesome!
    received a lot of my wishes, so much i have to do a serious edit on my want list =)

tempted to try thank some individuals who sent me some really extra extra special stuff, but hopes you already know how awesome you are =)
    of course wouldnt want the rest of the folks to feel less awesome, cause you are all awesome!

thanks so much to everyone and especially pat for making this so great

and for sure i am now seriously short on pots and potting soil to plant this all up, but i will be working it out...off to get more soil and pots so i can get this all going asap!

happy sowing, lovely plant geek peeps =)

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Julianna (sorellina) has received her package in Canada.

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have hosted this swap for three years and feel it is time to pass it on to someone else. It has been fun, and I am pleased that most of you have been happy with the seeds you have received. I have some ongoing health issues that prevent me from planning very far ahead. I've been on the kidney transplant list for almost a year and hope that I will be called soon for surgery. This is a great swap, and I hope someone will step forward and continue the tradition.

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Patricia -- Thank you again for the swap. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. I pray that you have a speedy recovery.

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Patricia,
    Thank you for being a wonderful hostess these past years. Hope you get the call very soon.
    Janine

• ruthz
    9 years ago

Patricia, thank you for all the time you've put into these swaps.
    This has been my favorite swap for a long time.
    I've received many of my wants and many things that became favorites.

Maybe you would enjoy joining the FOTESS or OBF group.
    It would be much less stressful and you could still visit and share with GW gardening friends.

Wishing you good luck for getting that call and your surgery.

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Pat, I got my package, it was great as usual!

I'm sorry to hear that your not well, I hope you get a phone call quickly.

Lisa

• primrose1x3
    9 years ago

Pat, I am adding my hopes to the others that you will get that call and surgery and be on the road to recovery soon. You have been such a terrific hostess and I have learned so much from just the experience of your swaps - you certainly know how to stretch a flower lover's limits of imagination when it comes to flowers :)

I like ruthz's idea of staying in touch. FOTESS or OBF sound good, or maybe some other type of thread somewhere just for chat with perhaps occasional, unplanned small exchanges as a whim may occur, or not.

Wishing you the best of luck and hope to hear from you,

Karen

• primrose1x3
    9 years ago

Miceyrey has thanked me for waylaying her with seeds, when she tried to leave this swap on account of not having enough seeds.

Y'all would not believe the tote bag she sent me. Who could put a dirty carrot or juicy tomato or lettuce leaves ferrying slugs around in this sumptuous, soft, thick fabric so elegantly colored in black with an earth-colored panel reticulated in a thin, black pattern?

It's gorgeous to look at and sensuous, more fitting of a pillow than a tote. I just might put a pillow in there and reserve it for cat hairs instead of lettuce slugs lololol.

Thank you Michelle, so much, and I appreciate all those heirloom tomato seeds too :)

Karen

• heavenlyfarm
    9 years ago

Pat, thank you for hosting this great swap!! I hope someone will continue this swap in your place in the future because it was a magnificent idea!!
    I hope you get your call soon and quick surgery and a speedy recovery!!!!
    Best Wishes
    ~Michael
    heavenlyfarm

• patrob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. everyone, for the good thoughts and prayers and your friendship. I'm looking forward to being a participant in this swap next fall instead of hosting. I am not going to join any other swap groups at this time, but I appreciate the suggestions.

This thread will soon reach the maximum number of posts. I hope that everyone has received his seeds and is enjoying sowing or planning. I have been trying to decide what to plant first. I appreciate all the great seeds you sent for me, and my wish list is much shorter now!

Happy Gardening!

• poisondartfrog
    9 years ago

Patricia, you have been a marvelous hostess! I wish you a speedy resolution to your health issues and I am thankful you shared it with us.
    Alana

• kchd
    9 years ago

Pat, thank you so much for all your dedication to hosting this swap for the past 3 years! Whomever volunteers to host next year will have some big shoes to fill. You've done such a fabulous job. And cheers to your future kidney!!

Katie

• SusanC
    9 years ago

Pat,

Thanks so much for being a wonderful host of a wonderful swap. I wish you luck and every happiness.

best,
    Susan

• velsgarden
    9 years ago

Oh Pat,so sorry to hear you are having health issues.Praying you get a call very soon and wishing you a speedy recovery.
    So hate to see that you wont be hosting anymore,as you are such a wonderful hostess.Thank you for all your hard work.Good luck!!!
    Velvet

• Melinda Hagen
    9 years ago

Praying for kidney soon and speedy recovery! You will be missed for the next one! Good luck! Melinda

• duane456
    8 years ago

I was contemplating taking over this swap for the coming year, but with the change in format I think it would be too overwhelming for me. I wished they would have left it alone.

• Pmb2005
    8 years ago

Pat, Thank you for your time you've put into this swap. Wishing you a quick recovery.

• lovesblooms
    8 years ago

Also wishing you a quick recovery, Pat. Thank you for all the joy you've brought to our homes and gardens through cold winters.

• patrob
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I am still waiting for the kidney transplant, but my son has passed all tests to be my donor and was approved by the committee today. They have one more test they want me to have, so perhaps the surgery will be next week. I'm ready to get back to gardening and other fun stuff.

If all goes as expected, I will be recovered and back to normal activities in a few weeks, perhaps in time for a seed swap. We may have to rethink how we do this swap, but there is a way for it to happen whether I host it or someone else. I don't want to see it die as it has brought a lot of pleasure to many of us for many years. I have not been on GW for a long time and don't yet know all the changes that have been made.

• EricaBraun
    8 years ago

Patricia -- So glad that you are well and that your surgery will be in the near future. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your swap happens this year. I thoroughly enjoyed it last year - definitely one of my favorites!

• Monarch Love
    8 years ago

Thats such great news to hear they are healing well..

• lovesblooms
    8 years ago

Thank you for the good-news update, Primrose. I will head over there now.

• kchd
    8 years ago

primrose1x3, thank you so much for posting this and giving us all a heads up! So glad patrob and son are doing well. I just went over to the cubits website and joined. I would never miss this swap.

• duane456
    8 years ago

bumping this up

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm