Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

new: obf jan something squirrley

beth_b_kodiak
14 years ago

This swap will be both simple and challenging, Does that sound confusing? The simple part is that you only need to send three things. The challenge is to make them interesting and very definately "Squirrley".

At this time of the year most of us are feeling a bit off. Wornout from Christmas and not quite up to starting a new project.

Squirrels on the other hand are still out there zipping around. Trying to remember where they stashed the nuts AND looking for a little fun.

If you'd like to feel a bit squirley and help your blooming friends have some fun Then join us for this Squirrley swap.

Sign up's will be open until Jan 5 and I'll post partners on the 6th. Start looking for items to send now so you can mail by Jan 11th.

What you will send:

1 A squirrel of some sort but not Alive. I know if you have a surplus that is tempting but the PO does not approve. LOL

2 A snack for the squirrel. A snack should be a small treat that the squirrel will enjoy eating.

3 Something you think a squirrel would like.

There will be prizes for the most creative items sent and also for the first person who sends one of "Secret Squirrrel's" favorite snacks.

There may even be a few surprise visits from Secret Squirrel himself.

Comments (150)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mary that is a great picture. The yard looks womderful. I have always really enjoyed watching the birds eating the sunflowers. That must be a big strong one to be holding up a squirrel.
    OBF is for Our Blooming Friends and I for one am not all that clever. I could not figure out how to include our logo in the header.
    For more info about the group try checking the swap fron Dec. Shirley explains it there.
    Thanks for posting and please do come back
    BB

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    14 years ago

Shirley,

We do have heat but heat pumps just don't cut it when it's this cold. There needs to be some heat in the air to extract. I know when we had a heat pump up in Virginia it was not at all ideal!

I will be happy to host May.

Theresa

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

I know this has nothing to do with squirrels, but do any of you have a flower press. I am in the process of making one for myself. I see that they recommend using blotter paper. In the past when I would place flowers in a book to press, I would use wax paper and have good results. My question is does it really matter?
    Heidi

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Ive always used old phone book pages with great results, Heidi, and thanks for the cute birthday e-card!

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

My box will fly out this afternoon. Confirmation # 9405503699300107988750

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Laura, sorry but I didn't have your addy so chip flew elsewhere maybe that person has your addy and can send him on to you. Jeanne your box and chip flew out today in different directions I confused the conf slips so here are numbers not sure which is which 03083390000145238788,

1. hope you both enjoy
  • beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I mailed today too
    DC# 03092880000013742652
    I'm off to the dentist again tomorrow. Thinking of you today Jeanne
    BB

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

It looks like Laura is our Queen for today.

Mary-Thanks for sharing your squirrel with us. He's so cute he don't look real.

Theresa-Once upon a time we had a heat pump (never again). Where I work that is what they heat with and if it were not for electric heaters we would be froze it is so cold in our offices.

Heidi-Hopefully someone who does the pressed flowers can answer your question. I really like them but have never done them.

Melissa-I'm sure there is never a dull moment at your house.

Beth-I am so happy that you are happy with Jack. I would like to see Jack also. Maybe we should all post pictures of ourselves and our loved ones.

Treasa-I received Nuts today and the package he came in or what was left of it. He ripped a hole in it trying to get out. Sure glad he did not get out in the post office or it would have been like the song Mississippi Squirrel. Remember he got loose in a Church and oh Boy several got saved that day. I put him in a bird cage until morning when I hope to send him on his way. He must have been full because he did not eat the payday candy bar. Thanks

January- Beth- (Something Squirrely - in progress)
    February- Melissa
    March- Heidi- (Egg-stra Special Swap)
    April- Frances
    May-
    June- Shirley
    July-
    August-
    September-
    October-
    November-
    December- Carol (Christmas In July)

Shirley

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Whoops forget Theresa took May

February- Melissa
    April- Frances
    May- Theresa
    June- Shirley
    July-
    August-
    September-
    October-
    November-
    December- Carol (Christmas In July)

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Okay, let's see if I can touch all the bases...
    First of all, Happy Birthday to Laura. I hope you had a wonderful day!
    My dental implant surgery seems to have gone well so far. Of course, typical for me is for the pain to get worse after the first two days so we will see. I have had so many procedures result in tremendous pain that I keep thinking I am due for one that turns out to be trouble free. Beth, good luck at the dentist.
    Carol, I will watch for your packages and be sure to let you know when they arrive. It sure will be nice to get a surprise in the mail.
    Ditto from me on the heat pumps. They do not work well once the temperatures drop really low. Then it's like all it does is to blow cold air into the house. We have heat pumps upstairs and down and I hate them in really cold weather. Mary, It was nice to hear from you. I hope maybe you are interested in joining our group.
    Heidi, I think you are the one who asked about flower presses. I wanted to get one of the ones that works in the microwave and they are expensive. Anyway, I made up my own style and sold some last year. I did not use blotting paper. The key in the microwave is that you have to do it is very short bursts and keep checking on the heat and dryness and whatever material you use against the flower (or leaf or herb) has to be really moisture absorbing - and not easily flammable either.
    Melissa, I'm glad that you and your family are enjoying Maggie. My poor dog has another lump that we noticed last week. I am taking her to the vet to have it checked out on Thursday. Sure hope this one is not cancer again. I would take her sooner, but I don't drive when I am taking pain pills and I wanted to make sure I would be off them by then so I can take her without any problem.
    Anyway, it looks like we have lots of good swaps coming up. I am planning several trips this year and none of the dates have been decided so I can't sign up to hostess right now, but maybe later I will have an idea of when I will be gone and when I will be home.
    Jeanne

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Thank you all for the birthday wishes.

Jeanne, your package arrived today!! Thank you for the birthday stickers around the outside too :). Included in my box is a pack of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, stickers, seeds from her 'stash', a cute squirrel shelf sitter (I think hes going in the bedroom!), and a mystifying orange lock&lock container with a note saying she hopes it makes sense to me and that the squirrels would like it... :) I don't know what you had in mind, Jeanne, but I see a geocache in potential!
    Thanks so much!!!!
    ~Laura

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Hi, Laura -
    Oh that is so great that your package arrived on your birthday! If I had tried to time it that way, it would not have worked.
    The ceramic squirrel is supposed to be a pot sitter - he is crawling out of the pot so you hang him on the edge of the pot by his back legs. Of course, there is no reason why he can't sit on a shelf if you prefer! You probably noticed that there are some squirrel stickers in the package with stickers.
    My idea with the storage container is that it is a food storange container and squirrels are always hiding food so they can come back and find it later. Anyway, it made sense to me since one category was something a squirrel would like. You got the others figured out! LOL
    Anyway, I hope you have a wonderful day!
    Time for me to head up to bed.
    Jeanne

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

The food cache makes sense!! I figured out the squirrel was a pot sitter when the tail kept getting in the way of the shelf. Hes now happily sneaking around my pothos plant in the living room.

**I'm still having trouble with AOL and a MALWARE program. If you receive an email from me with no message/ subject line DO NOT OPEN THE LINK!! I'm still working to correct the problem.**

I hope everyone has good luck at the dentists and a nice day,
    ~Laura

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    14 years ago

Laura, Happy belated. Hope it was a good one.

Jeanne, I hope you're doing well and recovery quickly from the surgery. I also am hoping that you're dog is okay and it's not cancer. Our bunny died suddenly last week. It wasn't from the cold because we had brought it in to enclosed back porch and they can, supposedly, take a lot of cold. My poor DS was beside himself. The vet is supposed to call us next week to see if they can determine what happened. He was only four years old which is young for a dwarf rabbit. :(

Congrats Melissa on your new family member. I bet the kids are just loving her so much!

I'm glad to hear that other agree about the heat pumps. So it's not that we are wimps here when it gets cold, it's just that our heaters are pooh! I can't believe that we made do with one in Virginia!

Shirley I will let you know what I come up with for April. I'm looking forward to hosting.

Theresa

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Laura, the squirrel in the flower pot looks so real.
    I love it and how neat that it arrived on your BD.
    Carol and Shirley, I'm wondering was Christmas in July suposed to be for July or Dec?
    JUst a wundrin
    BB

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Oh my, I just received my package from Carol and there are going to be some happy squirrels and people here in Lexington. She really sent a lot! There are ears of dried corn for the squirrels with a special holder to put them in, seeds for me to plant, some pretty butterfly coasters in a matching gift bag, garden gloves, and here are all the treats: Mountain Trail Mix, Peanut Butter Filled Nuggets, Milk Chocolate with Hazelnuts, Chocolate Peanuts, and Belgian Milk Chocolate Nut Blend. Will have to wait for my dental surgery to heal before I start munching, but the sun is out today and I may go to hang the corn holder outside and see if there are some squirrel games that arise out of that.

Anyway, thanks so much, Carol, and thank you, Beth, for allowing us to enjoy the squirrels again this winter!
    Jeanne

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Hi all
    I received my box from Laura today. There was a little stuffed squirrel for my kids. John named the squirrel John. He said "come on little buddy" and together they went to watch Scooby Doo. There was a pretty crystal like dew drop to hang in my window and some yummy cookies. The box was also packed with seeds...lots that were on my want list. The bag with the seeds said "go nuts". Thanks for the box Laura I loved everything.

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

What a cutie, Heidi! :O)

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Heidi, he is a doll and John is my favorite boy name.
    Had there ever been a boy in our family, he would have been called John Mark.
    Glad to see that a snuggly squirrel came in your package.
    BB

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Beth I am a little worried about your package. It should have been there by now!! I will check the DC# again. I sent a first class package out to California the same day. That package arrived yesterday. I hope it gets to you soon.

Heidi

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Well here is the latest...

Processed through Sort Facility, January 11, 2010, 10:50 pm, BOISE, ID 83708

I was hoping that it would arrive at the same time as your MNF New Year box.

Heidi

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Im so glad yall loved your box, Heidi, and the picture is TOO CUTE! Thank you for posting that, it caused a huge smile to see and hear about John and his 'little buddy' John.

• veeja11
    14 years ago

Jeanne glad you liked your box. Heidi, John is a cutie. I am suprised that chip didn't land today, maybe tomorrow. Shirley christmas in july was meant to be in july. hope I didn't confuse you too much. hugs carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well Heidi, I puzzled about why it went to Boise in the first place, I'll just keep watching.
    THe PO often baffles me anyway.
    Now a question..... What kind of cookies did FurryJohn bring? HUM?????
    Glad to hear everyone is having fun with this.
    BB

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Beth the cookies were Oatmeal Chocolate Chip. I did share some with my youngest son, but ate most of them myself :o)

Heidi

• smitties
    14 years ago

Hi everyone, I have been having fun reading the posts tonight. I was lingering for a while last month trying to decide if I should sign up for this swap but just could not find any creative ideas so decided to pass.

You guys sure came up with some great squirrley ideas. Fantastic boxing are being received. Keep having fun and I will see you in the February swap. Margo

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

February- Melissa
    April- Frances
    May- Theresa
    June- Shirley
    July- Carol (Christmas In July)
    August-
    September-
    October-
    November-
    December-

OK I think I have Carol's month fixed. Thanks for catching that ladies.

Theresa-I have you down for May not April. I thought I had messed up again but I went back and re-read the posts and you took May. Hope you still can.

Margaret-Looking forward to having you back in the group soon and sure hope your husband is doing ok.

Dottie-Wow you are really wintersowing those seeds. I hope to work on mine this week-end.

Jeanne-Just let me know if you decide you can take a month.
    Glad your dental surgery is behind you now.

Heidi-I can not believe how much John looks like my niece's son. They say we have a twin somewhere so I think I have seen Caydens twin in John.

Teresa-Your box is on its way. I visited every shop in town before I found a squirrel. Didn't realize they were that hard to find.

Nuts is on his way to visit someone also. Who will it be???

Shirley

• shinyalloy_5
    14 years ago

Glad you liked the squirrel. Cannot take credit for the yard, its my neighbors'. The sunflowers act as a kinda cheery fence. The sunflower holding the squirrel is a ten footer that reseeded from a mix, the stalk was so thick it took a saw to chop it down. It also fed about half a dozen goldfinches. I don't think it had any seeds left to reseed this year. I'll definitely be finding more.

Back to the wintersowing forum with me.

MARY

• Theresa24 (NeFL9a)
    14 years ago

You ladies are so much fun. I've missed you!

Yeah, Shirley, that's what I meant....May is great.

-T

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Theresa, we've missed you too! Shirley, I can be a back-up host if someone needs. Also, I found this picture on IcanHAScheezburger.com

Enjoy,
    ~Laura

• dirt_under_my_nails
    14 years ago

I can host October!!!

later....April

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

You can sign me up to be hostess in November. However, I am planning to do some traveling this year so depending on when that happens, I might need someone to take over my hostess responsibilities for me.
    So, if a "maybe" suits everyone, put me on the list. LOL
    Jeanne

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

My squirrel thief is back! I thought he had headed off for the winter but nope...
    {{gwi:61083}}

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Chip stopped in for a visit today!! He brought Twix, Snickers and Turtles. He also picked up a hitch hiker Bo the dog.

Who has not had Chip yet? Sending him around reminds me of "Flat Stanley".

Heidi

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

**big sigh** USPS says beth's box was delivered. That silly squirrel must have gotten in the wrong mail truck!!

Heidi

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

Heidi, you can send his here if you want. Do you still have my address? :) Also, your little ones sure do love squirrels!

Ive only seen a flat stanley once. I was on a family reunion cruise and posed pool-side sipping umbrella laden drinks with a pair of them. They were being taken on vacation by a fellow passenger on behalf of some kids she knew, (or was related to, or something) and taking pictures with lots of the passengers. Its such a cute idea!
    ~Laura

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

The silly squirrels have not been to my house yet, but I had a visit from one of Beth's squirrels during one of the previous years when she had a squirrel swap so it will suit me for those who haven't ever had a visit or who have children at home to get the visits first.
    Theresa, I was sorry to hear about your rabbit. I can imagine how upset your son was. Could the vet tell you what happened? I had a rabbit as a child and my daughters had one when they were girls. They are such soft, gentle creatures.
    Today was when I took my dog to the vet to have the new lump looked at. She will be having surgery to remove it next week on Thursday. Third lump to be removed in about a month so it sure has been rough. So far, the two that were removed were not the same thing and it sounds like this one may be a cyst so different thing once again. We just hope that this one shows no sign of cancer. It is rough getting older - for the dogs - and for us humans.
    Stay warm everyone. It got into the mid-50's today and the sun was out. What a welcome break in the weather.
    Jeanne

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow Heidi, that box knocked my sox off. I don't think I've ever had a better,more fun or more creative one.
    Right off the bat "Super Squirrel had me laughing out loud. What a face and what a character. This jet propelled squirrel came with his favorite treat, Homemade chocolate peanutbutter acorns(he was fighting both me and Jack to defend these0 and a picture of his girl friend ina magnetic frame. NO battle there. She's cute but noy quite my type.
    A bright sun catcher for my Kitchen window, more garden gloves an adorable snowman planter with basil seedswater crystals for plants and a set of beautiful cards.
    There were poems and stories with everything and all the lyrics to Mississippi Squirrel Revival ( a long time favorite of mine)
    Hreidi did you make these cards? They are adorable.
    You've got me wishing I had offered a prize for creativity.
    Jeanne Hope things go well for your dog. You're right getting old is not easy.
    Heidi I'm sending you a great big THANK YOU. That box is the most fun I've had in a while. At least as good as Christmas.
    hugs,bb

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

I am so glad the squirrel made you laugh. I will describe him for everyone. He is actually a dog toy that acts like a sling shot, so he flies through the air. He has on a blue helmet,red cape and goggles with his eyes bulging out. I looked and looked for a squirrel and finally when I was about to give up I found him. I laughed and had to show my family...which they thought I was nuts but oh well.

Yes I did make the cards. The squirrel card was cut out on my cricut.

I will be sending chip on his way tomorrow. I have some goodies baking in the oven as we speak.

Heidi

• brittneysgran
    14 years ago

Jeanne-We had temps in the 50's also....I love it.

Laura-That squirrel is too cute.

When I got home I found the most amazing box from Beth. Beth
    I love everything that you sent. You are awesome lady. My son gave me another camera for Christmas and I have been wanting to try it out. It really really takes good pictures.

Beth sent:
    {{gwi:1314953}}

{{gwi:1314954}}

Beth-DH loved the flag and wanted to put it up but I said no we will wait until Spring when we can enjoy it. I sure don't want this weather to ruin it.

Beth sent:
    Welcome to the Nuthouse flag
    Baby Ruths
    Reeses Whipps (never had these before)
    English walnuts
    Baby squirrel who lives in a tree trunk
    Figurine I won in the squirrely game.
    Mr. goodbar

I'm sure Dawson will take the baby squirrel and the tree trunk away from me....gosh that is darling.
    I am so tickled I won the squirrely game, that is one beautiful figurine.

February- Melissa
    April- Frances
    May- Theresa
    June- Shirley
    July- Carol (Christmas In July)
    August-
    September-
    October- April
    November- Jeanne (Hopefully)
    December-

And we have Laura as a back-up if anything happens and a hostess cannot do her swap.

We have 3 months left if anyone is interested....Remy, Maryanne, Dottie, Vina, Annie, Heidi, someone take these months.

Shirley

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

WOW where in the world did you find all that squirrel stuff?? That is an awesome box.

Ok I will take September. I think it will have a back to school theme...I think.

This has been a great swap. Thank you for hosting Beth!!

Heidi

• luckyladyd
    14 years ago

Hi everybody,

Okay, Shirley, I think I can take September. I'll be out of town a lot in July, August and December. Let me know if that's okay. Haven't been a hostess before, so hope I can uphold the standard :-)

Cheers,
    Dottie

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Good Morning!

I spent a few hours yesterday doing long overdue "Fall" clean up. It was just gorgeous outside, bright sunshine mid 50's hope to finish it up today with even warmer temps in the forcast. I have gotten so soft living in the south, brrrr, don't think I could stand a northern winter anymore! It was so wet in November and December and freezing in January I am glad to get a reprieve even if it only lasts a week or so!

Shirley
    Beth really stocked up on 'squirrels' for the swap! they are too cute and what a great flag! I hope you are enjoying the warm weather!

Jeanne
    I hope all goes well at the vet and your dog gets well soon.

Heidi
    What a handsome boy you have there! He really seems to be enjoying the Squirrely visits!

Laura
    GREAT Squirrel pics!

I couldn't find a squirrel photo (I know I have dozens) but here is a relative.

I can imagine the birds chittering 'who's the knew guy?!?!'
    I hope everyone is staying safe and warm!
    Have a terrific day!

Frances

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

I will be posting the February swap on Monday. I hope that is OK with everyone? I want to give everyone plenty of time to mail out their packages next month, since it's a short one.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shirley, glad you enjoyed the box. I had a few "second thoughts" about the flag but I had thought it was cute. Super that DH liked it too.
    Frances the chipmunk is adorable and more than welcome in this squirrley bunch.
    Melissa, I'll be gone most of next week but will check in when I can
    Beth

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Beth's Super Squirrel!!

• lilangel181
    14 years ago

That super squirrel is TOO funny! I never even thought to look in the pet toys section, how creative!

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Nuts just arrived at my house. He was sent by Shirley and brough a Zero bar as the snack. It's just beautiful out so he may want to go out to play. 63 degrees and the sun is out! I just came in from doing some winter sowing. These are my first seeds for 2010! I was able to plant 13 containers. Usually I start from scratch and this year I decided to wash and save the milk jugs from the previous year. Wow, it goes a lot faster!
    Thanks, Shirley. If anyone in the swap has not received a squirrel yet, please let me know by e-mail and Nuts will come to your house next - otherwise, we will just see where he lands.
    Jeanne

• hdiperna
    14 years ago

Chip left today. I had to buy my postage at the post office instead of online. I forgot to get a DC, but it did go out flat rate priority.

Heidi

• hazelnutbunny
    14 years ago

I went ahead & posted the February swap. I want every one to have time to think about joining, and make plans on what to send.