58 cottageflowers

59 proudgm_03

60 gmom2-6boys

61 wishdesign

62 conniesc

63 luvgardening2

64 jaleeisa

65 hmacdona

so we can start really looking to fill lists I finally finished cookies all 22 types I will try to post every night. You all seem to be having a great time maybe I can finally start looking at the lists. Have to get ready for work now Angie will put the clickable list in when she has time

Patty

Comments (153)

• kilngod
    15 years ago

Jaleeisa,
    The same total number of seed packs sent in to Patty are the same number of seed packs that get sent back out. There are no extras really.

If Trader A sends 10 packs in, Trader B sends 20 packs in, Trader C sends 30 packs...that totals 60 packs. 20 packs are sent in for Trader A...but only 10 go to her. 20 packs are sent in for Trader B...she gets the 20. 20 packs are sent in for Trader C...but she needs 10 more sent to her...so the 10 extras that were for Trader A now go to Trader C. Of course this is a basic example; Patty's dealing with 65 of us....

And this is where Patty's job gets tricky. She figures out which 10 will go to Trader A, based on what it seems they most want. She then takes all the extra packs that aren't being sent out to their intended recipient, and tries to match them up to someone who didn't get as much sent in for them, based on their want list, and apparent general likes. She fills in some from her own stash when there's a glitch like waaaay too many morning glories to work with at the end, but generally it works out very well.

Number In = Number Out.

(Patty, did I get this explained right?)

--Tina

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Sassybutterfly 2008/Wendy, I plan on planting more dry beans this coming year. They have Great Northern Beans at Vermont Bean Seed Company and they have Dixie Speckled Butterpea's at Baker Creek. Hope that helps.

Nancy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Wendy,

Great Northern Beans are similar to Navy Beans related to Kidney Beans Butter Peas are like a very tiny lima bean and are difficult to find in the US.

From what I read, that is their actual name, but probably just difficult to find here. Like Broad Beans were hardly heard of in the US until recently and you can actually find them here now. I'll check around and see if I can find some :)

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Thankyou to both of you! I really thought I was just crazy that I could not find them anywhere!! I'm going to see if I can find someone here on GW first, if not then I'll order.

Thanks a BUNCH!
    ~Wendy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Thankyou to both of you! I really thought I was just crazy that I could not find them anywhere!! I'm going to see if I can find someone here on GW first, if not then I'll order.

Thanks a BUNCH!
    ~Wendy

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

Great! The canna seeds have found good homes.
    I could join a cuttings swap in February too, but a semi-ripe swap in mid-summer would be super! Viburnums, Hydrangeas, Wiegelias, Japanese Flowering Quince, oh so many bueaties do so well rooted in summer. Maybe a cuttings swap will have to become a twice yearly event!
    I say include Chris too.
    Have a great New Year's Eve!
    Alana

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Mark, I was wondering if you have located your snowberries yet. I just made a quick jaunt outside and collected some berries and they are drying. Will include some for you if you still want them :)

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Welcome Sassy, I see that double up thing happened to you as well. It did that to me on another thread :o/ Had another glitch where it said the preview message button went to a broken link. Strange...wonder if they are working on it or something.

Just and FYI - Butter peas are also called butter beans with some seed companies. I used google and lots of companies are selling them. Might even be able to find both with the same seller if you don't find them on GW first :)

• intelkid
    15 years ago

I apologize for not understanding. Thanks for clearing that up and kilngod for answering a question from another that was on my mind as well.

I have looked through every single list and am sorry to say I have nothing to share. They have the species of it (T. patula) - French but then in quotes for a certain kind. I have pics of what it looks like.

I am dropping out of this swap.
    I apologize if some people marked packs for me.

Thanks for the participation,

-David

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

While I'm asking questions here, I noted a wish list, I believe it was Fran's that contained "yellow tansy" (((shudder))) I have LOTS of it, but are you really sure you want this stuff??? Or is it a different strain, that you are looking for, than what I have growing in my backyard? Maybe it isn't an invasive weed where you are? Just checking, I'll be happy to send all you want...you just say the word lol :)

• ncgardengirl
    15 years ago

Nah, dirtdiggin if they are invasive I better remove the Yellow Tansy from my list. Don't want anything that will take over...lol.
    Thanks for the heads up!

David, sorry to see you go. Maybe you could check and see if you could pick up some cheapy seeds somewhere so you will have something to trade with. I did have something for you. Just one thing I think but it was something.

With David's drop does that mean we are now down 4 peeps? Man! I hate that.

:) Fran

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Fran, Sent you and email. What I have is Tansy Ragwort...I think you're looking for common tansy.

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Alright, I obviously did not understand how this works either. Forgive me for my ignorance. I thought that we go and look at people's want list. Which I did. Several times in fact. I wrote down each persons given # and I put the # on the seeds that they want and that I have. Most of mine are commercial and I am splitting my own stash or I plan on sending full packs. Some of My problem is that I only do edibles. So the people I have seeds for are edibles and they are specific. So you are telling me that if I send in 50 packs of seeds for 1 person that they REALLY WANT, they will not get them all even though they are on their list and I specify their #? Just to turn it around, you are telling me if I send in 200 packs of specific seeds that are on their want list and I might get 22 packs of flowers if no one sent in for me? Am I understanding it right?

Nancy

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Nancy, I don't think that Patty will send you flowers if you have edibles on your wish list. I don't envy the chore she is about to undertake, but as I understand it, the extras will be distributed by close wants on the wish lists.

Maybe I'm wrong...but I think that's how it will be :)

• morguegirl
    15 years ago

Hi All,

I just received a very important package in the mail today, so now I can really get down to work at filling people's wants. Woohoo you know are a seed nerd(my hubby's term) when you are excited about the prospect of sorting seeds on New Years Eve.

On another note, a friend of mine from work gave me several seeds of a popular Guyanese Pea which he called "Same".(he has tenants from Guyana who grow this) He said it can be eaten like a pea or like a snap pea. I have never heard of this and did not find it on the internet. It is a large black seed with a touch of white on the top. My Colleague tells me they are quite tasty. I have no room to grow veggies, so if anyone is interested in trying this Guyanese Pea, please post or let be know by E-Mail. I have plenty and will gladly send some along.

Happy 2009 to you all.

Amy

• sguanzon
    15 years ago

I'm halfway through the list and have something for almost everyone.....if only a few for each...........but if we have people dropping out I believe we need an updated list posted before we go any farther and maybe a "final notice" are people in or out. I noticed some people who joined still don't have a want list.............?

Sue G.

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

alana, if there are any canna left, id love some.

Markcase, i would love some of the coralberry if I am not too late

I have been so busy working on the seeds for this swap. I d like to see grolikecrazy be allowed to join, i will check her list, and try to send to her.

Just so you all know. Kamil, is a HE...I am sorry to hear he is ill.

Sorry to hear Ibartoo has dropped out...i hope Linda is ok.

My computer is down, and so is my dads, but they should be all set in a few days.

I have over 75 packs done, and lots more lists to go thru..

BTW I dont have it on my wish list but hubby will be doing his first veggie garden here in the new yard, if anyone cant find something on my wish list, you are more then welcome to send me something for that.

thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

KYM

• jaynine
    15 years ago

dirtdiggin & fran,
    i have regular tansy growing (and seeds available it you want). it's a VERY aggressive self-sower. and if you rip it out and throw it across the street into the field (like i did), it grows across the street in the field AND in the place you thought you ripped it out of. i started growing it outside my kitchen door to keep ants away (seems to work) and now I manage to keep it under control. let me know if you want any seed.
    i also say yes to allowing grolikecrazy to join.

• chellflower
    15 years ago

Mark, I'm definitely interested in a cuttings swap for February!!! There are alot of fruits, etc that I want!!!

Would the cuttings swap be for houseplant cuttings as well?!?

Hope everyone had an awesome Christmas and I wish you all many prosperous blooms for the New Year!!!
    Chell

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Tina, I was thinking that's how it worked, but for my own curiosity, asked :) I appreciate you explaining not only for me, but for others new to this type of swap :)

Everyone have a HAPPY NEW YEAR, stay safe and my wishes for a wonderful 2009!
    Kathy

• SmokyMist
    15 years ago

I would absolutely love to try the Guyanese Pea please ! And I am the one with the Sweet Autumn Clematis, who was it that wanted that ?

And HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!

Cheryl

• morguegirl
    15 years ago

You got it Smoky Mist! Any more takers? I have plenty.

Amy

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Can I get both the Guyanese Pea and the Sweet Autumn Clematis? A neighbor that does not have a computer (I love her! 90+ years old and still works her garden!) and I am sharing my trades with her. she would like both if I can.

Yes, the cuttings swap will be for all cuttings. Still working on details and timing. It will happen!

Chris, you getting overwhelmed yet? I told you this was the place to come.

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

markcase1964 => Mark, I was wondering if you have located your snowberries yet. I just made a quick jaunt outside and collected some berries and they are drying. Will include some for you if you still want them :)

• morguegirl
    15 years ago

Absolutely Mark, I'll put some aside for ya.

Amy

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

No, I haven't found the snowberries yet. That will be so cool. thank you. :)

Keep the requests coming in for the coralberries and the verbenum. I can harvest all we need.

• kilngod
    15 years ago

(Hi Nancy,)

Forgive me for my ignorance.
    (no need; it's all good learning)

I thought that we go and look at people's want list.
    (yes)

Which I did. Several times in fact. I wrote down each persons given # and I put the # on the seeds that they want and that I have.

(right)

Most of mine are commercial and I am splitting my own stash or I plan on sending full packs. Some of My problem is that I only do edibles. So the people I have seeds for are edibles and they are specific. So you are telling me that if I send in 50 packs of seeds for 1 person that they REALLY WANT, they will not get them all even though they are on their list and I specify their #?

(only if they themselves send in less than 50 packs total for others; and as seen on the threads, often even newbies find they can send in about that many to those who list more general things.

HINT HINT HINT ---IF YOU HAVE LISTED SPECIFIC EDIBLES ON YOUR WANT LIST:
    Get seed packs sent in so you can get seeds sent from Nancy! )

Just to turn it around, you are telling me if I send in 200 packs of specific seeds that are on their want list and I might get 22 packs of flowers if no one sent in for me? Am I understanding it right?

(In theory, but haven't seen it happen. Patty is amazing at rustling up things, but they may not be the specifics, but something similar.... Expanded description of that: (okay the rest of this text is mine/Tina's)
    If you send 200, you will not get only 22 back...and they won't be all flowers, for starters I have your Fantalli peppers. Patty hustles something great to make it work. There are never certainties of what you are requesting that people have. But for example (I just checked my records), last year I sent in 133 packs and got back about 120 that I had want-listed, and about 13 that were obviously fill ins, 4 of which interested me and I sowed, and the last 9 I traded or gave away to newbies.

Last year I listed specific things (named types) and some general things (red sunflowers of any kind; black white yellow heirloom tomatoes; anything with Chocolate in the name), and that strategy makes it easier.

It is helpful if when someone says on their list "any kind of heirloom beans for drying/soup" (I don't have any of your other things, but if you're interested in heirloom black-eyed rice peas, I've got them for you).

Any flexibility in the heirloom tomato types? let me know, I have a bunch but not the ones you list. Take a look at my haves, and there are others not listed there as well.

(newbies, it can be helpful now that this is becoming clearer, to go back to the original post and re-read the description of the swap system. Might be all the clearer now, and Patty does a good job of describing the nice way things work out with this thing.)
    --Tina

• kilngod
    15 years ago

Aditional note: there are lots of traders here that have some substantial seed stocks, with lots of things that are not posted to their Haves list....and they're breaking into them for this.

A lot of the traders are in this swap for their third year. That says a lot overall.

• kilngod
    15 years ago

Intelkid/David,
    Yes, some cheapie seeds - I've got several "general things" on my want list for example. I'll take a pack of your yellow fr. marigolds too. Wal-mart, and www.valueseeds.com (a very good one!) are good places for cheap seeds (and note the seeds count on those packs there - if they've got 300 seeds, you can split it into several trades).

I have like 8 packs of seeds for you, mostly bonsaiing trees, not traditional ones, but interesting ones to use. Two I'm growing myself already. Anyway, let us know what you decide.

(Where are you in KY?)

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

When I've done this swap before, or others, I've said I don't care about getting back the same number I sent in. I'd be happy to "sponsor" Intelkid, by specifying that...20? packages of seed I send in are in his name, and all he needs to do is provide the additional postage. Only, of course, if that won't make Patty's job harder, it's all up to Patty!

I'm fine with grolikecrazy joining.

• grolikecrazy
    15 years ago

Goodie goodie, where do i find the thread with the rules of this swap, i scrolled down this one and could not find them on this thread, sorry to be a bother.. Chris

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

First Off...HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! YEAH!!!!

Okay, grolikecrazy the link is below :)

Here is a link that might be useful: New What's left on my wish list....

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

I am so confused. Is it possible to get an updated list so we will know who has dropped out?

• pattygrow5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK all,
    First Thank you Tina for explaining you will get the amount you sent plus 2 bonus from me.The extras that I don't send to the intended receipient are sent to others that are looking for the same thing or similar.I try to send mostly things you want but some things may not be on your list.I can't send all sent or I would be adding tons more than I already do.I usually don't get a lot sent for me but added over 400 from my stash or garden to make everyone happy and keep a lot of doubles of things I don't need and do a giveaway later to get rid of them.I also am in a neighborhood group I turned on to wintersowing last year that I use some for that I don't use for myself.I love seeing the happy posts when everyone receives their seeds so it is worth it I do get some seeds from my want lists.

Welcome grolikecrazy I sent you a welcome with my address.

luvgardening2 I will send only edibles if thats what you want make a note of that in your envelope.

I have not heard back from Kamil or Linda so I guess without want lists they aren't playing I think we can give Linda a few more days and intelkid can stay in stage rat it sounds good. Yotetrapper heard from kamiljablo who said he wasn't going to play.

So here are the changes
    66-grolikecrazy is in and new please don't forget her
    56-intelkid is still in
    45-ibartoo we will wait a few days on a response
    37-kamiljablo is out

I got a pack of seeds yesterday from pattyb wow Patty you are a dahlia lover have you grown them from seed they are one of my favorites but have had no luck from seeds any tips anyone?
    We have a great group here with great seeds you will be surprised at some of the seeds you get.
    I will have to start a new update soon we are nearing the limit again.
    Angie must be away or very busy with the holidays.I miss you Angie.Tina you are doing a great job filling in for her thanks for all the help answering questions there are only so many hours in the day I wish there were more.LOL
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU
    Patty

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

Patty, thanks for the update. Last winter was my first time to winter sow. I sowed my dahlias in the spring with the rest of my annuals and had no problem with them coming up. I have lots of seed if you are interested.

• Julie
    15 years ago

Hey there Patty-
    I like to start Dahlias from seed every year just to see how they will bloom- but here in Z4- I have to start them early indoors.
    I start them just like I start almost everything indoors- I use wet Miracle grow- sow seeds on top- and cover with fine clean construction sand found in the cement isle at the depot, place seeded cups/pots/6Pack containers into an aluminium baking pan and cover with plastic wrap and place under lighted shelves in the cool basement, somethings get bottom warmth til germination. If I get a good cover with the wrap- I won't have to water again till the leaves push the wrap off. I will always bottom water into the pan- not the pots. I think I start Dahlias in March here for our Memorial Day frost date.
    I find I do best with the leave it alone and don't fuss with it approach to seed starting- like WinterSowing, and SpringSowing- I give them a good place to start from- try to keep the pests away (sand on top for the indoor pots)- make sure they stay humid but not soaking (plastic wrap on top), a bit of warmth from the lights on a timer- I don't disturb the roots till transplant time (bottom water) and I find most seeds agree with this treatment and grow very well.
    I do hope you will enjoy seeing dahlias blooming from seed this year! And be able to save your favorite tubers for years to come!

Julie

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Who wanted the crepe myrtle seeds? I remember seeing them on someone's wanted list, but cannot remember who.

Also, who wanted those Japanese Maple seeds? I was able to get a few. I just cannot remember who had them on their want list. I want to add them to the 2nd envelope to Patty. Thanks.

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Ohh I love Dahlias. Haven't grown them from seed either, but I'm ready to try with the info above!!! That sounds GREAT!!

These were a flower that was a favorite of my Dads and those and glads were the only ones he grew. When he passed away, his Dahlias and Glads were neglected (long sad story and I won't go there...) Unfortunately, I never received any of Dad's tubors or bulbs, so they have a very soft spot with me.

• intelkid
    15 years ago

kilngod, where I live and especially this time of year getting seeds at wal-mart or any place are pretty much non existent. They never have a wide variety of seeds. I would have to go out of town to a super wal-mart or some other place. Or of course ordering online. :) That's very generous of you too for the bonsais. I live kinda western/central, close to IN. I'm on central time.

Stage_rat, I don't know what to say but thank you for your generous offer to sponsor me. I hope this doesn't make it harder for you. The additional postage I can do as I said in another post above.

I'm still in. Sorry if then anyone took me out of their package b/c of my earlier posts.

-David

• luvgardening2
    15 years ago

Amy/Morguegirl, I would love to try the Guyanese Pea if you have any left.

Thanks,

Nancy

• sassybutterfly_2008
    15 years ago

Mark ~ Jap Maple was listed on my want list. I would love some of your corralberries too! :)

Patty I already hit 200 pks to send in.. I am going to go over a bit to include grolikecrazy's seeds.. hope that's ok! lol
    I'm going to try to mail it out on Monday to you.

~Wendy

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I would love to see Chris be able to join us in this swap as so many others seem to agree. (I read a little further and see that she's in... WELCOME, CHRIS! You're gonna have a great swap with us!)

Amy (morguegirl) - I would love to grow those Guyanese Peas, if you don't mind sending some in for me. Thanks so much for posting the offer! They sound very interesting!

Mark (markcase1964) - If you're sending more in to Patty, I saw that you had Black Walnut, Native Pecan, and Jerusalem Artichoke available before. Do you still have some of those that you could send in for me?

David (intelkid) - I sure hope you decide to stay. It seems that others that thought they didn't have much were still able to fill some wants when they posted and were able to participate and get things back that they really want. I think it'll be fun, and you'll enjoy it if you stay! (As I read more posts, I see stage_rat has offered very generously to assist you! Wow! It amazes me over and over again, how wonderful the GW'ers are! Welcome back, David!)

Happy New Year everyone!

Blessings,
    Angela

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Butterfly, I have your coralberries and the Jap maple.

Angel, I have the walnut, pecan and I will see if there are any more seeds for the artichoke. There weren't too many seeds. That one MAY need to wait for the cuttings swap. sorry...

Don't worry if I haven't responded to your requests. I have been putting names on packs and getting them set up for a pack to Patty.

• poisondartfrog
    15 years ago

I have Jerusalem Artichoke if Mark is out. I know I already included them in someone's envelope that had them on their list, but I have more. If someone wants tubers, I could send a few along in late February or early March, depending on where you are.
    Happy New Year folks!
    Alana

• dirtdiggin
    15 years ago

Patty- I'm over 200, so anything over (probably 10-15 pkgs) please use toward Davids (intelkid) portion. Thank you :) I'll put a note with my package which should be going out tomorrow. I'm hoping my shipment comes in as I have a few more items I want to include.

Thanks so much :)

• markcase1964
    15 years ago

Alana,

Can I count on you to send some seeds for the Jerusalem Artichoke? I have a full day tomorrow and Saturday and I start back to school Monday. I may not have time to locate another wild plant. You are such a life saver.

You will be happy with this swap! I had several things from your list already in the first package to Patty. And, the cuttings swap.... just you wait till you get your box if you participate! You have been such a blessing to me personally, I can't wait to do the same for you!

Mark

• morguegirl
    15 years ago

Angela,

I have plenty, and I will include a package for you as well.

Amy

• kilngod
    15 years ago

Stagerat, sponsoring Intelkid was brilliant. Nicely done. Glad he's still in.

(Glad to be of service, Patty.)

--Tina

• threeshyacres
    15 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm checking your lists now, and I seem to have more than I thought...whoopieee!

Happy New Year,
    Jodi B.

• stage_rat
    15 years ago

Yay! I'm glad the "sponsorship" got approved! I would have understood if Patty didn't want yet another thing to keep track of. Thanks so much, Patty! Intelkid, everyone needs seed generosity, and I haven't offered a sasbe in a long time, so I'm happy to do this!

Happy New Year, everyone!