Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new: jan. 2014 fotess swap: opposite day

Posted by sandlapper_rose z7B-8A SC (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 5:56

FOTESS Swaps require that you be a member of our group. FOTESS stands for Friends of the Earth, Simple Swaps. If you want to know more about membership, please contact me or Shirley.

Here's what we are doing for the month of January:
I looked to see what special days there are in January and I found Opposite Day. It's Jan. 25th so that will be the basis for our next swap. Try to mail so that your partner receives by Jan. 25th - that sounds like a good target date.
What you send must fit in the smallest size priority mailing box - although you can send your swap in a different box or envelope. (First class mail is usually cheaper if it's lightweight.) You need to send at least one pair of opposites - small, inexpensive (one black, one white. - one soft, one hard - one old, one new, etc.) Ideas like seeds, socks, spices, snacks, anything you think your swap partner will enjoy. including a handmade or recycled item is totally fine. You know we try to keep things simple!
Mail out by Jan. 16.

I'll bet I can come up with an interesting game to play in conjunction with this theme!

Here's what I read on the internet about Opposite Day:

Opposite Day is a topsy, turvy day when everything you say, do, see, and hear are the opposite. If you say go left, you mean go right. If you say look up, it means look down. If you see your left foot...is it really your right?

Yesiree, Bob. Opposite Day can be a whole lot of fun. It can also be very, very confusing. This special day is celebrated primarily among school children. Sponge Bob Square Pants even got into the act with an episode containing the whimsical nature of this day.

Thought for the Day: Opposites attract.

Origin of Opposite Day:
We have yet to discover who created this day, or the original date of creation. In true "Opposite Day" spirit, you have to look for someone who says "I didn't create this day" and go from there.

Happy New Year to all in FOTESS. I hope you have a wonderful 2014.

Jeanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: jan. 2014 fotess swap: opposite day

Being a natural contrarian, this is a perfect swap for me, Jeanne.
Please don't put me on the list. ;)

o

That is just too funny, Alana. However will I know who signs up? I think I'll put myself on the list not to sign up, too!

January Opposites:
Alana
Jeanne

o

LOL, please don't put me on the list either ;)

Jayeanne

o

How fun! I'm in. Happy New Year!

o

• Posted by sjc48 5 Michigan (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 10:20

Sheri, does that mean you AREN"t in? HA, just joking!

Great idea, Jeanne!
However,
I don't need to take a break,
and I'm in,
and I won't be back to visit every once in a while!
Remember the rule of opposites!
Shirley!

o

Members who are not interested in the swap this month (LOL):
Alana
Jeanne
Sheri
Shirley

I'm not being opposite in saying, so happy to have each of you join in! We should have lots of fun getting ourselves confused this month (at least I will be confused, I don't know about you!)

Happy New Year's Eve!
Jeanne

o

Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 14:53

Jeanne, I meant the opposite of what I said. Yeah, this could get confusing!
Shirley!

o

Jeanne, I too meant the opposite, lol! Ok.. I am confused now as well, but yes please include me in the swap.
Jayeanne

o

Shirley, sorry you will be playing. We won't miss you and hopefully, you won't stop by to check in on us.

I don't want to be on the list either.

Love this confusion, I mean, I don't love this confusion. Oh, I just don't know what I mean, I mean I do know what I meant. :>?

Margo

o

Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 19:52

I don't know what you mean, either, Margo!

This could get really funny, well, I guess not, but maybe.....

Un-Happy 2014, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

These members are on the January Swap list:
Alana
Jeanne
Sheri
Shirley
Jayeanne
Margo

(By way of explanation, you are on the list if you said you did not want to be!)

Happy New Year, everyone! I think we will all be confused together.

Jeanne

o

I would not dream of joining the FOTESS opposite swap this month!! Have a lousy evening!!!

To funny........Jeanne, I love this!!

Jeanne, I have been out of town wine tasting. I think I enjoyed to much vino because I can not remember what part of California you visit. Is it in Northern California? And your Gamecocks were hot today against Wisconsin! Sweet win!

Tata,

Annie

o

Of course, I am not going to add Annie. LOL

Thanks, Annie for the comments on the Gamecocks win. We were watching! When I go to CA, I go to Santa Barbara. We also traveled a bit south of LA to go to a special Christmas Eve dinner. I don't think I could tolerate all that traffic on a regular basis. As for you and the wine tasting, sounds like fun!

These members are on the January Swap list:
Alana
Jeanne
Sheri
Shirley
Jayeanne
Margo
Annie

o

Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 20:41

Jeanne, sorry about all the confusion, but I'm not playing this month, for real!

I'll check in often, tho, this sounds like it will be fun!
Shirley!

o

lolololol Shirley.

o

Updating the list:
Alana
Jeanne
Sheri
Jayeanne
Margo
Annie

Sorry, Shirley - it sort of feels like Alice in Wonderland here this month. LOL

Jeanne

o

I would love to try this,I'm new to this site,you may have to help me out! Lol

o

I guess I'm suppose to say I don't want to be in this swap this month, but I really do. You all have me quite confused for sure!

o

I will "Not" sign up and get my stuff together to not send? :-)

It sounds like fun.

Mandy

o

Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 19:17

I'm so confused!

Jeanne, I don't feel like Alice as much as I feel like those Indians in that old Dustin Hoffman movie, forget what they were called, but they always said and did the total opposite of what they meant. It was funny, back then!

We didn't get snow all day yesterday up to around 3 today. And it didn't start again at 5. There isn't a drop dead beautiful snow falling out there right now!

Margo, are you not getting any of this snow?

I'm not fighting off a cold, so won't go dose myself with Nyquil and go to bed!
Shirley!

o

Updating the list:
Alana
Jeanne
Sheri
Jayeanne
Margo
Annie
Melinda
Mandy

Looks like some areas of the country are really getting cold and hit hard by snow. Stay warm and safe!

Jeanne

o

I came up with a game for us to play and will post it over the weekend. Anyone in FOTESS can play whether you are signed up for the swap or not --- and frankly, this month it's hard to tell if you are signed up for the swap!

Jeanne

o

Shirley, I'm glad you are feeling poorly. I hope you don't feel better soon.
Jeanne, the weather here is just wonderful! The warm breezes are delightful.
Stay cold and behave dangerously, FOTESS friends.
Alana

o

Shirley, we did get a lot of snow yesterday. I made my way into work as we had inventory to do and with no expectation of customers, it made it easier to get it done. Still a little more to do today. We did end up with about five people during the day. Trying to convince my daughter to head back to Columbus tomorrow instead of Sunday as another round is heading this way. The part I can't stand is the below zero high temps that are expected. I am so glad I don't work Monday or Tuesday.

o

Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 8:12

What a shame about your nice weather, Alana, maybe it won't last!

We're supposed to get hit again, over the weekend, Margo. It doesn't look half bad out there right now, the sun is trying to come out. But I know what the temps are!

Well, since I feel just ducky and I'm so glad to be going to work, guess I'd better get it over and done with!
Have a great day, Everyone!
Shirley!

o

Here's our game! I know the heading of some questions is subject to interpretation, but I wanted to make it EASY for you. (LOL) My answers are the ones you need to match and they are based on my use of the internet so we all know how that goes.

There are 10 questions. I gave 5 possible answers for each.
You don't need to list all 5 in order, but pick out the opposites by listing the number of the question and the 2 answers that are most opposite. Please send this to me by e-mail rather than posting them here. You might want to post here that they were sent so I know to look for them. The first person to get all 10 right will receive a big (or should I say SMALL) prize. You'll notice I worked Presidents Day and the Rose Bowl into the mix!

1. Height
John Kennedy
Abraham Lincoln
James Madison
Dwight Eisenhower
Calvin Coolidge

2. Age at Inauguration
Theodore Roosevelt
Barack Obama
Ronald Reagan
Jimmy Carter
James Garfield

3. Length of the Inaugural Address
George Washington
John Adams
Andrew Jackson
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler

4. Time in Office as President
Ulysses Grant
Grover Cleveland
William Henry Harrison
Richard Nixon
Franklin Roosevelt

5. Sea Level
Mt. McKinley
Death Valley
Grand Canyon
Mount Rushmore
Mauna Loa

6. Degree of Latitude
Alaska
Hawaii
Maine
Louisiana
Maine

7. Rose Bowl
Stanford
Michigan State
Washington State
Notre Dame
Wisconsin

8. Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show
Smooth Fox Terrier
German Shepard
Affenpinsher
Standard Poodle
Shetland Sheedog

9. US States: Temperature
Alaska
Florida
Alabama
North Dakota
Washington

10. US States: Precipitation
Nevada
Louisiana
Oregon
Maine
Ohio

Stay warm and snug - it got cold here, too!

Jeanne

o

Hi Jeanne!

1. Height

Abraham Lincoln 6 ft 4 inches
James Madison 5 ft 4 inches

2. Age at Inauguration

Theodore Roosevelt 42 years, 322 days: Theodore
Ronald Reagan 69 years, 349 days: Ronald Reagan (1981-1989)

John Adams 2,308 number of words
John Tyler 996 number of words

William Henry Harrison 30 days
Franklin Roosevelt 12 years 1 month 8 days

5. Sea Level
Mt. McKinley 20,237 feet (6,168 m) above sea level
Death Valley at 282 feet (86 m) below sea level.

6. Degree of Lattitude (you had Maine listed 2x)

Hawaii 21.1098
Maine 44.6074

Maine 44.6074

7. Rose Bowl

Michigan State
Notre Dame

8. Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show

Smooth Fox Terrier
Shetland Sheedog

9. US States: Temperature

Alaska 26.6 F
Florida 70.7 F

10. US States: Precipitation

Nevada 9.5 inches
Louisiana 60.1 inches

Jayeanne

o

I'm so NOT confused by this swap!!!!
It sounds like a swap that I would not enjoy at all ...
so please please Don't sign me up!

Sharon

o

Updating the list:
Alana
Jeanne
Sheri
Jayeanne
Margo
Annie
Melinda
Mandy
Sharon

Welcome to the swap, Sharon.

So far I believe Jayeanne has been the only one to submit a guess on the game. Jayeanne, you have 6 answers right. (It's wrong unless you have both of the correct words for the opposites.) One guess only, ladies. Anyone else going to take a try?

I was just watching the national news, what a cold mess it is across most of the country. Brrrr!

Jeanne

o

Things have been quiet here on the board. I hope everyone is not sick. I've been dealing with a cold since I got home from my trip and you forget how bad they make you feel.
Anyone want to give a snow report? I'll bet some in our group are setting records. How about a temperature report? Brrrrr. Cold, cold, cold. I hope your home is warm. We have electric heat and a well for water so when our power goes out, it is really miserable. No sign of ice or snow here though so hopefully that won't happen.
Stay snug and warm!

Jeanne

o

Jeanne,

No snow here in Southern California. No rub in.....but I am wearing shorts!! Be safe and stay warm!

Jeanne, I will email you my answers later on today.

Happy Sunday!!

Annie

o

Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 13:58

Annie, better shorts than this crap we're having. I don't mind the snow, but the low temps are really starting to bug me. My house seems so cold. Vinnie and Willie are curled up together on the couch, no eyes, legs or tails visible!

Jeanne, we got about two inches of snow last night and there is a light snow falling right now. We are supposed to get hit with 12" before tomorrow morning. There is a snow advisory out for Monroe County. I will have to see this 12" to really believe it!

Oh, I so hope they don't cancel work tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

It's 66 degrees here today. Y'all better head this way. I only have one guest room, but there's plenty room on the floor! ;)

o

Oh, I so wish it were 60's here. We have snow and ice and still more coming!
I sent my guesses in on the game! I think that's what we were suppose to do. Doubt I got them all right. Some where hard to find.
I hope everyone is enjoying the warm if you have it and everyone else is staying warm if you are in the cold and snow! Melinda

o

Melinda sent in her answers and she has 9 right so she is in the lead right now. (Melinda, it's possible all of your answers were right, but I had to say the answers were according to what I found on the internet - I guess there could be some difference of opinion between what is posted on one site and another.)
Great work getting all that you did!
Jeanne

o

Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 20:29

Sheri, I've got my sleeping bag rolled and ready to go! We've got about 6 inches so far. Right now it's quit snowing, but will probably start again in a while. It's been doing that all day.

Wondering if we will be going to work in the morning; I'll be so disappointed if we don't.
Shirley!

o

Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 8:57

Help, I'm drifted in! What a hoot! We didn't get the predicted 12", but due to high winds all night long, everything is drifted to the max! I walk to work, but NOT this morning! I can't even get off my front porch! I thought you might enjoy a picture of my backyard.
Stay in and stay warm!
Shirley!

o

Hey Shirley, my backyard looks a lot like yours. :o)
Of course the snow blower is broken, hubby and I shoved out this morning. I'm a little sore!

o

Here's my backyard. Those things sticking out of the snow to the right of the shed belong to a bench. I just went out to shovel the front porch so we can get in and out. The drifts had just about trapped us. I haven't gotten all the decorations down so since I can't get out, good time to finish the job. Stay safe and Shirley, no walking in this weather. Margo

o

No snow out here in Nebraska. Right now it's 2" and almost noon, -11 wind chill. Many schools are closed. In general we don't usually see snow when it's this cold. It seems silly, but it has to be warmer to snow. Imagine that! We'll take some, though, if you want to send it our way. I love the photos.
I thought I posted last week that I wanted in, but I don't see it here today. So if there's room...I'm in. Really in. No doubletalk. No doublespeak. No Spanglish. Si. Yes.
Happy Epiphany! It's the 12th day of Christmas and it's the day recognized as the day Christ was introduced to the gentiles (the kings).
Heidi

o

Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 13:28

Well, the sun is shining and everybody is shoveling out! It is still drop dead cold, but at least it's sunny. Always makes me feel better!

Heidi, normally it has to be warmer for it to snow here too, but this year, it's coming down in really low temps. Strange.

Margo, please stay in out of that! How cold it looks!

The mailman got thro and brought me a new book, Drawing Conclusions, by Donna Leon. Off to snuggle down and read!
Shirley!

o

Good morning! It is cold, cold here, but looks like that everywhere. Can't complain as a lot of people have it w
Thorse than we do. We only got 2 to 3 inches of snow but on top of sheet of ice. Pretty slick out there, but not anywhere close to everyone else. But coldest we've been in years!
I put in a couple guesses to try and fix the one I had wrong, But not sure which one it was! LOL!
Trying to think of some things to put in my box. Should be fun!
The sun is out, so wishing everyone a great day! Melinda

o

Jeanne,

I finally just emailed you my guesses for the game. I tried to get in to your head on a couple of them....HHHMMM, what exactly does Attorney Jeanne want on this....but your brain would not allow me in....LOL!

I feel guilty living in such a nice climate....well not really! When you "cold" climate people go outside to shovel snow, use the snow blower, walk to work etc., how many sweaters and pairs of pants do you wear? Can you ever put enough clothing on that you don't feel a chill? I am curious about your clothing attire......I just can not relate to this!

Please stay warm and be safe! You are welcome to come out and visit...if you can get here. The weather man claims it will be in the 80's this weekend (I doubt that)....Just think, you could sleep outside by the pool if you like and sip...sip...sip frosty margaritas!

Happy Tuesday!!

Annie

o

We have a yard that looks a lot like Shirley's right now - almost everything has been closed for 2 days - schools, businesses, banks, governments... it's been crazy cold too.

I finally got mail today (I think the mailman couldn't get to the box yesterday), and found an envelope from Sherri full of things from my wish list. Thank you Sherri! I will have a full garden this year - I am especially looking forward to trying that eggplant you sent (with the recipe).

Stay warm everyone!

Mandy

o

Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 16:09

Annie, I'm already booked in at Sheri's, down in Florida! But thanks for the invite!

I, for one, always feel a chill, no matter how many layers I've got on. Normally, in the winter I wear a long sleeve shirt, cords, thick socks, snow boots, hat and mittens, plus my hood is always up on my jacket. In this freezing cold we've been having I add my hiker's socks, long winter undies, sweater or sweatshirt, a scarf, an extra pair of mittens and my hikers. I don't weigh a whole lot and I think that contributes to feeling the cold quicker. I must look like a real dufus, but at least I'm fairly warm. And the walk to work is only about 7-8 minutes.

And I think I've said before, funny how the cold doesn't seem to matter if I've got my camera hanging around my neck. Altho, not in the past two days!

I didn't go to work today, again, not because of the cold, but because of my front door. This is going to sound really goofy, but the *$%@**^** thing wouldn't lock. It wasn't froze, just wouldn't lock. I don't have a screen door in front, so every time the wind blew, the door flew open. What a schelmeil! I put a chair in front of it, with my ten ton sewing machine on it, and that solved the problem, temporarily. The landlord was called but hasn't made it over here yet.

I'm really hoping my boss believed me. Who would make up something like that?

Crazy day, hope everyone else is staying warm, it's about 8 below here, right now!
Shirley!

o

I would like to have opposite weather right now. Jeanne, can you arrange?
Alana

o

This is a picture of our driveway. My husband actually cleared it late yesterday afternoon and this formed overnight and into today. It measures 40x60 and is over 61/2 feet tall. Fortunately, we had someone offer to clear it for 30 - 40 dollars and will be here in the morning. We have been under a level 3 for two days which means we are not allowed on the roads unless it is an emergency. I feel like I have been under hour arrest. I am anxious to get out for a good cup of coffee. Lol

o

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. Several people have sent in guesses for the game and I'll check them in the morning. This cold weather and the cold I caught have me being kind of sluggish. I got out to the grocery store today and made a pot of chili when I got home. There hasn't been any snow here, but the temperatures never went above freezing during the day ... and that's very cold for us.

Stay warm!
Jeanne

o

Good news and Congratulations - we have a winner in our Opposites Game and it's Annie!
Here are the correct answers.

1. Height - Tallest and shortest of the US Presidents
Abraham Lincoln
James Madison

2. Age at Inauguration - Oldest and Youngest
Theodore Roosevelt
Ronald Reagan

George Washington (2nd inaugural address)
William Henry Harrison

William Henry Harrison (That long inaugural message in the cold caused him to get sick anfd die - what a message for keeping your speeches short!)
Franklin Roosevelt

5. Sea Level - Highest and Lowest Point in the US Above and Below Sea Level
Mt. McKinley
Death Valley

6. Degress of Latitude - in the U.S.
Alaska
Hawaii

7. Rose Bowl - First Team to Win and Most Recent Team to Win
Michigan State
Washington State

8. Westminster Kennel Club Best in Show - First Breed to Win and Most Recent Breed to Win
Smooth Fox Terrier
Affenponsher

9. US State: Temperature - Highest and Lowest Average Annual Temperature
Alaska
Florida

10. US State: Preciptation - Most and Least Average Annual Precipitation
Nevada
Louisiana

A reminder: The 10th is the last day for sign ups so let's see if anyone else wants to attempt this swap!

(Your snow pictures are impressive. Not a flake has fallen here, but it has been cold. I think we start to get rain tomorrow so our low temperatures and our precipitation didn't coincide.)

Stay warm and have a great day!
Jeanne

o

Annie corrected me - she had one of her answers wrong. Melinda also had 9 correct so I am going to send out 2 prizes for the game.
It doesn't make a lot of sense to continue the game now that I posted the right answers - but that might make sense for Opposite Day! LOL

Jeanne

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 20:24

FOTESS friends:

I'm still trying to decide if I can swing participating in the swap this month, but I wanted to make sure all of your northerly ladies see this!

A recent & strong solar flare this week has set the stage for a nice display of the Northern Lights! Be on the lookout tonight, but especially early Thursday morning before dawn. All of you ladies in Michigan, Nebraska, and the northeast US might get a spectacular show of Aurora borealis!

Wishing you all luck in seeing this!

Katie

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Lights

o

Katie... I think you should participate. ;) I've got several "opposites" rolling around in my head. I'm not going to reveal the ones I picked, but...

Hot/Sweet
Rough/Smooth
Rectangle/Oblong
Black/White
Shiny/Matte
Hybrid/Heirloom
Rare/Common

Deer Food and Deer Non-food comes to mind. This morning, I chased 5 of them away from the snow peas on my fence. I literally have to run at them, yelling, because they just stare at me, if I don't. Alas, one more reason for the neighbors to think of me as the "Crazy Garden Lady".

Does anyone else have some fun opposite ideas for participants? Tomorrow's the deadline, right?!

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 7:39

o

real/fake
pretty/ugly
good/bad
big/small
night/day
funny/sad
short/tall
hybrid/OP
fast/slow

o

Ha! You're fast, Alana! I was going to add short/tall, but you beat me to it. ;)

Oooo I thought of another one... Sun/Shade.

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 9:03

o

Good ideas ladies! Woke up to another layer of ice with a dusting of snow and still snow under it! So feel for you all up north that have so much! But it is slick and cold!
Hoping everyone stays warm and cozy today!

o

Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 18:38

ok, ok, Sheri... you have NOT talked me into it. I will NOT be joining in this swap. It sounds just crummy.

I'm disappointed to see that we will be having warm and sunny weather this weekend. I'll likely spend the whole weekend inside, watching TV, like golf or something. ha!

Katie

o

There was a slight chance we could have seen the Northern Lights tonight but our "dusting" of snow has turned into over an inch and still falling. The dang snow is in the way of seeing anything. I am very disappointed.

Margo

o

Hi Everyone! I just stopped by to check in and to make sure that I was not missing anything by not participating in this swap. I am GLAD that I haven't MISSED OUT on this. Guess I made a good call on that one. Hope all is well with everyone (really)!

o

hot/cold
in/out
thin/fat

o

fattening/nonfattening
native/nonnative

Katie! I'm so horribly disappointed that you're joining us this month. ;)

I think today is the last day to sign-up, right?

o

Yes, today is the last day to sign up so I will post partners tomorrow. Thanks to those who posted some opposites for us to think about. I admit, I haven't picked out the opposites for what I will be sending, but I'll do that once I have my partner.

Wow, seeing the Northern Lights would have been great. Of course we are too far south, but sorry for those in the north who missed out on seeing them. It's great that you passed the information along, Katie! (...and I have added you to our list - for real!) A great turn out for this month!

Updating the list:
Alana
Jeanne
Sheri
Jayeanne
Margo
Annie
Melinda
Mandy
Sharon
Katie

Our weather has warmed up. Hooray!
Jeanne

o

I've got a few!
sun/moon
day/night
white/black
tortoise/hare
lamb/lion
beginning/end
dog/cat
dark/light (think chocolate!)

I think I signed up on Jan. 6. Can I play?
Heidi

o

Of course you're in, Heidi. I read your post so I don't know what happened that your name didn't get on the list, but so glad you noticed.
It's not only raining here today, but we have thunder. Crazy January weather!

Updating the list:
Alana
Jeanne
Sheri
Jayeanne
Margo
Annie
Melinda
Mandy
Sharon
Katie
Heidi

Anyone else?
Jeanne

o

Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 16:30

A couple from me:

Spring blooming/Fall blooming
edible/poisonous

Opposite colors (aka complementary colors):
purple/yellow
blue/orange
red/green

Katie

o

I love reading all the "opposite" ideas. I will probably think of some more after I've had my coffee in the morning. Great swap Jeanne... thank you!

o

I sent the 2014 FOTESS membership list to all the current members so watch for it in your email. If you don't receive it, let me know because we may have the incorrect email address for you.
Jeanne

o

tpick, I saw that you posted to this thread earlier this month, but I have no way to get in touch with you because you don't allow access to your email. If you will send me an email message, I'll get back in touch with you.
Jeanne

o

Plain/Fancy

It's a LOUD thunderstorm day today. No sleeping-in for me! Really great day to work on my opposites swap, though. I can hardly wait to see who I get!

o

Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 9:26

Morning All!

Jeanne, I got the list, thank you for doing this!

We are above zero, today, YAY!!!! Very foggy out there.
Need to go for groceries, and I'm so excited about it!!
Have a great day,
Shirley!

o

Thunderstorms woke me up this morning, too.
I've got my opposites worked out.

o

I hate to do this so late in the game, but I need to drop this swap this month! Some things have come up and not having my things ready, just ideas so far.
I sincerely apologize! Maybe next month will be better.
Thanks, Melinda

o

Now it's time to make use of all those opposites you have been thinking of! Melinda, sorry you had to drop out, but we understand.

I was thinking of an interesting way to match partners so I did it by birthday - those on the list who had a birthday near the beginning of the year matched with the next on the list though to the last birthday of the year. Not quite opposites, but a different way to match!

Margo and Sheri are partners,
Mandy and Jeanne are partners.
Heidi and Jayeanne are partners.
Annie and Katie are partners.
Alana and Sharon are partners.

I've only had one correction sent to me about the list and I think I've got this right, Sharon's GardenWeb name should be gmom2-6boys with a dash in there and not an underline. Is that right, Sharon?

Have a great day... now to do some planning for what to send.

Jeanne

o

Yea Margo! Happy Birthday! What are you going to do tomorrow?

o

Thank you Sheri, my husband plans to take me out for lunch and then a matinee. I may even top at Kohls and use a coupon they gave me. :)

I am also going to start working on my opposites, I have some ideas and items but need a couple more.

Happy weekend everyone. Margo

o

Jeanne, I received the FOTESS membership email. Thanks so much!

Melinda, I hope all is well. We will miss you!

Margo, a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you tomorrow! Enjoy!!!!

Katie, I don't think we have ever swapped before....This opposite thing is fun and certaily not "usual".

Happy Evening....stay warm and safe wherever you are.

Annie

o

Happy Birthday, Margo! Have a wonderful day.
(... and now I'm off to bed.)
Jeanne

o

Have a fun birthday, today, Margo! Eat an extra piece of cake for me!

o

Sun, Jan 12, 14 at 9:32

Happy, Happy Birthday, Margo!
Hope your day is just great!
Shirley!

o

I hope you had a great birthday Margo! I'm getting my box together... lots of little ideas. I'm glad the sun is out today!

Mandy

o

I wanted to let you know that I'll be checking in, but may not be posting much this week. I'm hosting my daughter's baby shower on Sat. and still making the baby quilt for her gift and the house needs to get cleaned, games and refreshments planned, gifts wrapped... well, you know how it goes!
Hope for good weather for us so those who have a distance to drive won't have problems. I am going to try to get my swap package sent out on time. Glad we played the game early in the month!
Have a great week, everyone.
Jeanne

o

Mandy,
I got my items together for you. Next time I go into town I'll get them mailed. Definitely by Thursday. This was fun!

I don't know about everyone else, but our weather is celebrating opposites: hot, then cold, then hot - rainy, and then not rainy, and rainy again. It's one of those months where if you don't like the weather it will change 2-3 days later.

Jeanne

o

Jayeanne... your box went out today. I even got to mail it in the next town where they mail anything and everything and smile about it! I had fun putting it together.

My daughter told me today that it's Monday the 13th and that HAD to be WORSE than Friday the 13th because Mondays are bad and Fridays are good! So there's an opposite for you. We had a little mother-daughter bonding time because her wallet was stolen out of her locked car at a basketball game while she played at pep band. We've been to the DMV, the bank and then to the store to buy her a new wallet to keep her new temporary paper license in!
Heidi

o

Mon, Jan 13, 14 at 22:43

Annie, I've gotten part of your package ready. Hope to get the rest of it done in the next few days and get it mailed off. I'm sure you'll hate it!

Katie

o

Hey Heidi!

Ok Ill be watching for it, thanks for letting me know, =) I think I will have yours finished up here by Thursday and will try and mail that day too. So sorry Heidi to hear about your daughter and her wallet being stolen. Sounds like you have an awesome P O! I also agree that Fridays are better than Mondays, lol. My Monday wasnt a good one either, lol. Must have been that 13th like your daughter said! LOL Ill post again when I mail your box out, Hope you both have a beautiful rest of the week.

Jayeanne

o

Katie,

I am sure I will hate....hate...hate the package you send me. I am not looking forward to receiving it!! I have changed my mind...and decided that I will not be sending anything to you..........................LOL!

Mid 80's today....got my shorts and tank on. The dogs are swimming laps...I think I might just join them.

Happy Wednesday!

Annie

o

Jeanne, I sent you an email. If you don't get it, please let me know.

Hope to mail mine tomorrow, too.
Alana

o

Just a heads up, I forgot to add toomanyanimals - Sharon's information on the list I recently sent out. I'll send out a revised one soon.
Sorry, Sharon. It has been a crazy month here. Is anyone else missing from the list?
Jeanne

o

Jeanne,

I mailed your package off today. You should be receiving it within a few days... or maybe not, with this steamy hot Michigan weather. :)

Mandy

o

Sorry everyone, I've been under the weather the last couple days.
Jeanne, I haven't received a membership list, I sent you an email through GW.

I hope to get your package in the mail soon Alana.
Sharon

o

Oh, and I can't send Alana a package without her address. "o)

Sharon

o

Jeanne, I have the list. Just went to my email.
Haven't been on the computer for a couple days ... been sick.
So I have Alana's and your address. :o)
You must think I'm crazy!!!!!
Just playing Catch-up.

Sharon

o

Well...I'm not going to mail today because I lost something I wanted to include. I have to get going so I won't have time to look for it. Sorry. I've been even more of a disorganized mess than usual this week.

I'll look when I get home.

o

Since our second favorite subject is weather...
We are having 35-45 mph winds with gusts up to 60 mph. We'd love a little of that snow cover because it's blowing dirt everywhere. I had to go to a lunch meeting, got to my car, and I had dirt in my mouth. I swear I never opened my mouth! Semis are staying off the highways. Had a house fire in the country and 3 volunteer fire depts. came. Couldn't save the house, but didn't want the fire spreading across our dry grasses, plains and corn stalks. Would have driven the fire right towards the nearest town of 10,000 if they didn't keep it under control.
Heidi

o

Sorry I didn't post yesterday but I was unable to do so. I did receive my package from Sheri which included to following

Each was wrapped and labeled with its opposite

Round- A compact that when you open it, there is a mirror and a brush. Very handy.
Square - notecards

Sweet - A chocolate covered butter biscuit
Savory - Mrs. McCormick Tuscan Blend stew mix, yummy

Owl and the Pussycat, opposites attract. An owl mini notebook and cute little handmade seed packets with cats on them.

Short - Dwarf hollyhock seeds
Tall- Zinnia seeds, old Mexico

Thank you for the wonderful package. You package was mailed an hour ago and my DC number is not handy but I can post it later.

Margo

o

Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 19:52

Oh Heidi, your weather sounds just delightful! No doubt you have been spending as much time as possible outside working in your flowerbeds.

Margo, what a rotten box of junk! I can't believe Sheri sent that to you. What was she thinking? I'm sure you must feel disappointed. Sorry.

I am obviously completely on top of things, as is evident by the fact that I shipped out a box of rocks to Annie a month ago for this swap. If anybody asks, I will refuse to give out the DC number!

o

Thanks Heidi!

Rec'd my package today....

labeled for opposites were
* "silver" and "gold" bows
*Better homes and garden wax melts... sweet pea for "SPRING" and iced winter cranberry for "WINTER" yum! these smell sooo good!
* seeds "SUN"flowers & "MOON"flowers
*My FAV! Hershey's chocolate.... milk chocolate for "DARK" and cookies and cream for "LIGHT"
*and a very generous amount of seeds...birdhouse gourd, blue globe thistle, coneflower cheyenne sprirt, rose of sharon - white, coneflower secret affair, calendula yellow, campanula artifolia and canterbury bells....yay!! Ive been over here wintersowing and these came just in time! Thank you so much Heidi for everything! LOVE it all! =)
Your package was mailed out today....I have the # if we need it.

Thanks again for everything!
Jayeanne

o

Mandy,
I mailed your package today. It went first class so I hope it gets there in time for Opposite Day.

What great packages are being sent and received. Thanks everyone for tolerating my lack of attention while I get ready for this baby shower. It seems I have to spend so much time shopping for what I need, I don't ever get the things done here at home. One more shopping expendition tomorrow - to the grocery store so I can make refreshements!

Heidi, I hope your weather improves. We've had 2 really nice days, but the colder weather is coming back again.

Jeanne

o

So glad the "opposite" package made it safe, Margo! I had so much fun choosing stuff. This was a really great January swap idea.

The Old Mexico Zinnia is the "short" and the Dwarf Queeny Hollyhocks are the "tall". I guess they are both considered short, though. I was so excited when I saw them on your "want list". Was the homemade card in there? I was in a hurry to get to the post.

Katie... love the photo!

o

Well, mine is ready to go except for my favorite part. Sharon, sorry to be late. If I don't find the little packet I misplaced when I get home this afternoon I will find a sub and mail it tomorrow.
Criminy!

o

Jayeanne,
I'm so glad you liked it. I had fun putting it together. It sounds like many of us are having fun coming up with opposites. Then when I checked your 'want list' and found I had several seeds you would like it was a double bonus!
I always think because I have a box I can put more in and then it's a game to get things arranged so the box will shut!
No wind today! Yeah! It comes back tomorrow. The strangest thing. High wind every other day (3 days of it) and almost nothing on the days in between. I got gas today, the day with no wind!
I had a spring fever moment and planted some seeds indoors. I have this table that fits in my window seat. I had to dig it out of the garage where my hubby had obsconded with it. Air conditioners are heavy to move, but I did it to get my table! I have Dazzler Gaillardia coming up! I'm so excited!
Heidi

o

Sheri, yes I did get the cute card. Loved the verse. My week has been a bit rough so trying to make sure I remembered to mention everything failed me.

This was a great idea for a swap. I had a great time. Margo

o

Mandy,
I just wanted to let you know that your package arrived and I loved everything! Up to my ears in getting ready for the baby shower right now, but I'll post the contents once the shower is over. My husband helped me make a diaper cakes last evening. The first one I ever made. I'll have to post a picture after the shower.
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Jeanne

o

Fri, Jan 17, 14 at 19:31

Hi Everybody!
I am so unhappy, we have a three day weekend; how did that happen? Oh gloom and despair! What to do, what to do?

Sounds like some great packages being received, you all were really creative with "opposites!"

Jeanne, please, please post a picture of the diaper cake!

Katie, here's hoping you get a box of rocks in return!

Have a great weekend All!
Shirley!

o

Found it! I won't be mailing mine out tomorrow. I'll have the DC if we don't need it.
I'm dreading the three day weekend too. I'm going to hate every minute of it.
All of the packages sound just awful. I hope mine is just as bad.
Have a terrible weekend!
Alana

o

I had to take a break so I'm trying to get the diaper cake picture on here. My daughter hasn't seen it yet, but she should be here soon.
Jeanne

o

Cute Jeanne! I bet she loved it.

o

Really lovely... I thought it was going to be a real cake, but this is even better! I've never seen anything like it.

o

How cute!! I hope you have fun! I'm glad the box made it to you, but no rush on anything - enjoy the party, and then try to relax a little!

Mandy

o

Jeanne, do not enjoy the shower today!! I am sure everyone will have an awful time!!

A huge and I mean huge snowstorm blew in to Southern California last night. BURZY, it is cold. It was 87 yesterday...it is currently 5 below. The snow is blocking all the doors....I can not get out of the house...my poor dogs had to crawl out the window to do their business. The heater does not work, I have no wood for the fire and I am out of coffee. Tiz Fireball time to keep my bones warm!!

Katie, I have totally forgotten about you and the swap!! Oh well...life goes on!!

UN-Happy Day to all!!

Annie

o

Oh Jeanne, the Diaper Cake is just 'the Bomb'! I love it! OOps I forgot about the opposite thing .... I JUST HATE IT!

Alana, Sad/happy to say my box is finally on its way. Sad because it is on it way, happy because it is so late .

I'm so happy that I don't have a 3 day weekend .... I can't imagine what I would do with an extra day off. LOL

Sharon

o

Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 13:02

Good Grief, Annie, are you serious or is it the opposite thing kicking in? No coffee? How will you survive? I couldn't - for real!

Jeanne, that cake is darling! And beautifully decorated! You and hubby did a great job! Your daughter will LOVE it!! I've seen these cakes made from baby socks, this diaper edition is a first for me.

Alana, I AM having a terrible weekend, and I know that your package will be just as bad, if not worse, than everyone else's. Don't panic yet! Or maybe you should, I get so confused everytime I come on this swap site.

Back to the gardening!
Shirley!

o

I received my package from Jeanne today - and how I hated it! It was just awful, filled with opposites of new (Farmer's Almanac), and old (Sno Caps Chocolate), and sun and moon (Sunflowers and Moonflowers), and cherry tomatoes and beefsteak tomatoes. She also included an antonyms word search. And everything was wrapped in a blue leaf paper.

Thank you Jeanne - I really do love it (for real, not an opposite)!

Mandy

o

Mandy,
So glad you liked (or hated) the package. I had fun putting it together for you. The post office was pretty fast on that one!

Here's another picture from the shower. This is the cake that I made that was to eat. The batter was both strawberry and white and I made it in a checkerboard design. Then I had strawberry preserves between the layers and fresh strawberries on the top. I was a bit worried about assembling the top and getting it to stay on, but this worked. As for the horses and carousel, that was supposed to be the theme of the shower, but would you believe it's nearly impossible to find carousel things right now? These were Valentine cards that I ordered online and I was very happy to find them!

Okay, you are probably tired of baby shower postings. We had lots of fun. The decorations and foods all turned out well. Now it's time to rest for a bit after all the preparations... and I haven't done any winter sowing yet and definitely want to do some.

Have a great day! I'll list who has sent and who has received later in the day or tomorrow by the latest. I didn't realize at first there was the post office holiday on Monday. I'm glad I didn't make the mail out deadline for then.

Back to visiting with my daughter and son-in-law before they leave for home.

Jeanne

o

Jeanne, very creative ideas and both look great. I know how hard these showers are too. I bet you are glad it is over. Now to just sit back and wait for the big event.

Just checked on the package I sent to Sheri and find that the post office just frustrates the heck out of me. I mailed it on the 16th, they took it north to Detroit to process it on the 17th, then they sent it from Detroit on the 18th. I did not get priority because I knew I would get it to her in time but really? Sending it north to send it south? Since it departed yesterday and no delivery today or tomorrow, I can assume it will be there Tuesday and if not, Wednesday at the latest.

Snow yesterday but only about an inch. That inch has been turned into massive snowdrifts around us due to high winds. I have watch it completely cover one of my birdbaths this afternoon. It is amazing and so cold.

Margo

Oh yeah, here is the DC #9500100026934016000132

o

Rather than posting pictures one at a time, if anyone would like the link to my blog, let me know and I will send it to you by e-mail. I'm not sure I can include it here because it was set up with a name that I used for a previous business. There's a series of pictures there and a little written up about the shower.

I'll update things here tomorrow. Since the mail will be at a standstill, tomorrow will be the same as today. (Sort of sounds like the movie Groundhog Day, doesn't it?)

Jeanne

o

I'm back to post about my fantastic package from Mandy. The swap packages are great... me trying to figure out the message board is not so great. LOL
(Does "I didn't send" mean "I did"? I'll make an attempt at updating with a Sent and Received List later today.)

Anyway, I can easily tell about my package that I received.
The funny part is Mandy did send me a rock! The rock is one of her fossil rocks so it's special and it was HARD and came wrapped in gauze - SOFT. I also got COOL peppermint gum and HOT cinnamon candy. There is also SOFT and SOUR candy and HARD and SWEET candy. There are pea seeds that grow TALL and flower seeds that grow SHORT. There are tomato seeds - some that grow BLACK and some that grow WHITE and SHORT and TALL ones. Finally, a roll of ribbon that is LONG and a jar of honey that is SHORT. Great job on the opposites, Mandy, and thanks for the note that brought out all the special characteristics. I think I'll have a cup of tea with some of that honey.

Thanks again and everyone enjoy the day.

Jeanne

o

Here I go with an attempt to update:

Margo and Sheri are partners. (Margo received and sent)
Mandy and Jeanne are partners. (Both received)
Heidi and Jayeanne are partners. (Jayeanne received and sent)
Annie and Katie are partners. (Katie sent... and maybe Annie, too?)
Alana and Sharon are partners. (Both sent)

I commented to my husband that when someone says they sent or didn't send I have no idea what it means.

Meanwhile, "Ms. Behind-on-a-Lot-of-Things" here has not mailed out the prizes yet. I won't forget. Just got sidetracked for the past week.

The cold weather is returning. Too bad We had a couple of nice days. Let's see who gets what in tomorrow's mail. (Do you think the post office is delivering mail? If you say "No" then maybe they are.)

Jeanne

o

I got it Jayeanne! What fun to find your package in the mail today!
First she wrapped the box with fun plastic tape with snowflakes on it.
The card was so sweet. A teddy bear in a garden of sunflowers, nice and bright and cheery. You'll love her opposites:
Hot chocolate mix and Cold Greenapple Golden Pineapple Trident Gum (never tried this) I could get hooked very easily!
Shade Small coleus rainbow mix seeds and Sun Giant larkspur imperial mix!!! Can't wait!!!
Single color Cardinal flower seeds and Multicolor Wildflower American Mix seeds.
White Lunaria 'Honesty' seeds and Black Swan Poppy seeds. I so hope I can get these poppies to grow. I have a thing for poppies, but have so much trouble growing them. I get to dream about it, though! (and I keep trying)
The last baggie I pull out of the box is harder. I immediately see 3 Musketeers little candy bars. My mind is trying to guess what the opposite is. Opposite of chocolate? Opposite of candy? (Today standing in line at the store I thought of a good opposite: candy and vitamins!) Then I see a cupcake, a pink one. Is it 'vanilla'? I opened it up and looked at the tag. "Non Edible." I laughed and laughed. I was almost ready to taste the cupcake to check it out! ha

This was so much fun. I had fun putting together the package and then receiving my package.

Thank you again Jayeanne! You made my day. You made my week!
Heidi

Oh, and I started a few seeds in the house. My husband isn't excited about it, but he's come to expect it. My gaillardia seeds have sprouted. Now I have a little green to look at every day and try not to overwater!

o

Thank you, Margo, for the really excellent "opposites" package! I really love it all (for real!).

For Cold/For Hot - Butterfly ice tray and a beautiful pot holder!

Filled/Unfilled (very clever!!)- Empty (unfilled) mini zip lock baggies for seeds (I was all out, too!) and mini baggies full of seeds... Echinacea Paradoxa, Moneymaker tomato from Baker Creek, Vinca Lipstick Mix, Sombrero Hot Coral Coneflower, Honkin' Big Black Cherry Tomato, Sombrero Salsa Red Coneflower and Cypress Vine Funny Valentine Blend. Love it all so much!

Something For Feet/Something For Hands - Those "second skin" gloves that I LOVE and adorable, soft "unclock the cure" socks. Both honored breast cancer awareness/cure.

She enclosed a cute opposites note, too. It had my husband a little confused. ;) Thank you so much, Margo. It was like Christmas all-over again.

Sheri

o

Sheri, so glad you liked everything. With my mother being a breast cancer survivor and a good friend going through the journey of chemo right now, I am a big promoter of breast cancer awareness.

Thank you Jeanne for hosting such a creative and fun swap. Margo

o

And so the packages flew today!

Updating:
Margo and Sheri are partners. (Both received)
Heidi and Jayeanne are partners. (Both received)
Annie and Katie are partners. (Katie sent... and maybe Annie, too?)
Alana and Sharon are partners. (Both sent)

Everyone has been sending creative and wonderful packages. When I thought up this swap theme, I had no idea how it would go over. Other than me being confused in reading the posts and trying to figure them out, it has been lots of fun.

I stopped to get prizes for the game today... right after which someone rammed into the back of my car in the bad 5:30 p.m. traffic. Ouch! It always amazes me there can be totally congested traffic that is barely moving and someone takes their eyes off the road and speeds up like that. He hit my car so hard it pushed it into the car ahead of me. I came home pretty upset, but we all know accidents can be much worse. I'm sure my neck and back will be even more sore tomorrow - I have ice on them now - and my car needs quite a bit of repair on the rear. I get so protective of my car - hate to have anything happen to it. I'm the type who parks far from the store so no one will open their door into it and to keep it out of shopping cart range. I am sad... :-(

Will check in again tomorrow.
Jeanne

o

Oh Jeanne! Glad you were not injured.

I'm away from home after dark a lot right now which is when the mail runs here. My neighbor has been collecting mine for me and keeping it until I can pick it up.
Yesterday I received my "Opposites" from Sharon and I just now picked up the box.
Not only did she spoil me, she sent a neat and creative group of opposites. Thank you Sharon!
She sent these horrible opposites. I hate the way she packaged everything so neatly!
Far and Near
Cherries from Traverse City, MI and Tom Yam Broth from Thailand (gets my personal pick as most creative)

Sticky and Unsticky
Goo Gone (apply to make unsticky) and Trident Gum
(never heard of Goo Gone! Bet I find lots of uses for it)

Clean and Dirty
Anti-bacterial Hand Gel and Potting Soil

Thank you again, Sharon!! Your opposites were great!
Alana

o

Guess what I just found on my porch???? A box from Katie.....opposites have arrived! And no rocks...LOL!

First of all, Katie included a note hoping this box would ruin my day.....Katie, you are so mean!!!!!!

And in my box.....

Red and Green......
Green Envy Zinnia
Red Homestead 24 Heirloom Tomato

Small and Large.......
Small seed bags
Large seed bags

Light and Dark......
Green and Black's Organic Milk Choocolate Bar
Green and Black's Organic White Chocolate Bar

Love it all!!! Yes, really!!!! Thanks so much!!! I just took a bite of the milk chocolate bar....yum!
And your opposites, I intentionally sent late so not to be early.....truthfully, I sent priority yesterday, so you should receive on Thursday or Friday! I have DC if necessary.

I have gotten a real kick out these opposite packages.....

So much fun.....thanks Jeanne for a great month. Take care of your BOD........

Annie

o

Hey Heidi! LOL

So glad you got your package I had a lot of fun with that! Thanks for hosting Jeanne!

Jayeanne

o

The game prizes were mailed today. I had things I needed to mail to my daughters, too, so I did that after my doctor's appointment.

Some more great swap packages received!
Updating:
Annie and Katie are partners. (Annie sent)
Alana and Sharon are partners. (Both sent - Alana received)

I hope that's about right. I took a pain pill after I got home from the doctor's office and will be in for the night. Alana, Goo-Gone is great. I use it to get off the sticky price tags when they are just about permanently attached to things.
I agree that the FAR and NEAR was very creative!

Will check in tomorrow.
Jeanne

o

Wed, Jan 22, 14 at 20:17

Jeanne, hope you are feeling all right, quite the nasty experience!

And the "Opposites" in all these packages are just awesome! The thought and imagination that went into them was just great!

It is below zero here again, supposed to warm up in the next few days and snow. Getting used to it now!

Have a great day tomorrow!
Shirley!

o

I am very happy to announce that I have officially lost my receipt with the DC number on it. I usually print online and did not this time and voila! I was going to check on Sharon's package and the receipt is not in my wallet where I THOUGHT I put it.
If Sharon has not received her package by Saturday I will send to her again.
I am not very very sorry. I'm still afraid she may yet post that she has received it and I am worrying about nothing, but we'll see. It has been taking longer and longer for mail I send North of me to arrive, while mail going South seems fine, so maybe it is just making it's way slowly. I sent first class, not priority, which could be part of the problem.
Again, I'm not very sorry at all and I don't feel any anxiety waiting to hear from her.
Alana

o

Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 21:07

well, this will be my first post this month that is not completely written in opposite of what I mean... for real!

Got my package from Annie today. Holy moly, Lady! You are serious with those opposites!! You went above and beyond the call of duty! I'm surprised you didn't have to ship this FOB. This big ole package totally cracked me up....

Annie sent these opposites:
Smaller/Larger
Seeds that are smaller - Shishito pepper, Cabbage, Santa Fe Grade pepper, Arugula, Northern Lights tomato, & Kellogg's Breakfast tomato
Seeds that are LARGER - Aquadulce Fava bean, Golden Sunshine runner beans, Sunset runner beans, Insuk Wang Kong runner beans, and Tall Telephone garden pea.
All of these are totally new to me (except for arugula). Will you be growing all these this year, Annie?

Left/Right (x2)
Two pairs of super fuzzy, cuddly socks. I'll be donning these while snuggled up by the fire :)

Like/Dislike hahahaha, this was my 2nd favorite
Annie likes Hershey's Cookies and Cream bars (my husband is already eating this ... )
Annie dislikes Swedish Fish soft&chewy candies (I might be with you there, Annie LOL!)

Rolled/Flat hehehehehehehe, in a cute card!
a rolled up $1 bill
a flattened out $1 bill

Happy/Sad This is my favorite pair
A slotted spoon with slots in the shape of a smiley face, and BPA free! -- hahahahahahahaha! This thing cracks me up!!!
Refresh Tears eyedrops (get it? sad 'Tears')

Oh, Annie! You sent an amazing package. Thank you so much for being so generous.

This was such a fun, hilarious swap Jeanne. Thanks so much for coming up with a great idea for the dreary month of January. I very much enjoyed this swap's 'revelry.'

o

Annie, You were so creative with what you sent. That spoon makes me smile, too!

Well, I have been going for x-rays (Thurs. and tomorrow) and am scheduled for physical therapy. Seems all I do lately is put ice or heat on my back and neck and go to medical appointments. Not fun at all, but I want my back to be fully functional so better to do all this now than to have lingering problems. I know some of the rest of you know what I mean. It did continue to get worse after the first day... which I was told was likely to happen. Maybe I will be to the "continuing to get better" part soon? I'll be waiting to hear if it is just muscle soreness from the whiplash or something more.

Updating:
Annie and Katie are partners. (Both received)
Alana and Sharon are partners. (Alana sent and received)

Alana, have you heard from Sharon? I wonder is she is away and her package has been delivered. I know if you said you sent that you did. Hopefully we will hear soon that it arrived - I know you are concerned.

It's very cold here, too - going down into the teens at night and some days it does not get above freezing. I know that is not "cold" for some of you, but it's very cold for South Carolina. We are giving our horse extra hay to help her get through all this cold weather. I wish I had a space where I could bring her into the house, but that's not going to happen. I guess you know that long ago the house and the barn were one structure. Sounds very sensible in such cold weather.

Enjoy your weekend.
Jeanne

o

You're right, Jeanne. I am very concerned. The one time I lose the receipt is the time I need it.
Still, Sharon may just be away or busy. If she does not post that she receives it today I will email her before doing anything else.
I mailed it one week ago today. That should be plenty of time, even for first class mail.
Fortunately, this was such a great theme that I can quickly put together another little group of opposites to send her.

o

I'm not here, I'm not ok, and I'M NOT VERY APPOLOGETIC about not posting earlier.

Seriously, Alana, I'm so sorry. I had a relapse and haven't been well for a couple of days. Not really a good excuse ... I should have taken the few minutes it takes to post about what a wonderful Opposites package you have sent me. All I can say is each time I thought of doing it, I would start to move and then start to feel sick again ... so I would lay back down ... and forget to post.

But your package was one of the bright things in the last couple days.
A Black and White Theme....
5-5 Gallon Grow bags - white on outside, black on inside. How ingenious to include both opposites in one object!

I haven't used these before. We just got a fence 2 years ago, so this will be an excited new planting spring for me! I love my flowers so much, I always have trouble finding room for my vegetables .... and now you have just given me more room!!! I love it.
And the seeds that flower in black and white ... SO MANY!
Coleus Black Dragon
Black Madras ... new to me.
Black Pearl Pepper -
Japanese Black Trifele Tomato
Snowberry white Cherry tomato
Lynchis Alba
Nigella Miss Jekyll white
zinnia Gem White
Carthamus Lasting White Shiro
Pansy Black Devil

AND Alana added some more seeds that were Opposites.

Bearded Iris vs Beardless Iris
Quaker Lady/Henrys White ensata

Dog vs Cat - I have both. :o)
Purple Dog Creek tomato/Catnip

Tall vs Short -Zinnia super Cactus Giants/Zinna Gem White

Shade vs Sun
Carnival Metallic Deep Salmon/Celosia First Flame Orange

Wet vs Dry
Cyperus Giant Papyrus/Phacelia White Scorpion plant

Oh MY MY MY .... I just HATE seeds ... just cant think of what to do with all these!

Thank you so much Alana ... hope my apology is accepted.

Redfaced and still a little nauseous,
Sharon

o

I've just taken the time to go back and read the older posts.
Jeanne, sorry to hear of the accident ... yikes, x rays and PT ... sounds serious enough to me.

I got the biggest kick out of reading all the opposites ... so many creative ideas!

BUT I got the biggest smile from the Spoon ... Annie, that was so funny. I so wish it had been my idea!

You gals are the greatest.
Sharon

o

Sharon, I am sorry that you have been so ill! Really, not oppositely!
And, I'm glad you finally received the package. Sorry to panic; I just could not stand the thought that I might have failed to deliver.
No harm done and I have learned a lesson about guarding DC receipts. I won't skip printing online anytiime soon.

o

Happy Opposite Day, everyone! It's finally here and all of the packages have been received. I think that makes it a good day (... or do I say a bad day?)

The creativity in this swap was outstanding! I hope we get to do this swap again one year. I think some of us may look for some other weird days to celebrate for future swaps. I haven't done a bit of winter sowing this year so I hope my back allows for that soon. Of course, it has been extra cold here lately so I might now want to be out there anyway. Do some of you prepare your winter sowing containers indoors and then move them outside once they are planted? I've done that if I want to plant them on a really cold day. Of course, bringing the soil inside is kind of a mess! Usually I just prepare everything in the garage and then move the containers so they are totally outside.

Thanks, everyone, for participating. Sharon, I'm glad you are starting to feel better and your package arrived okay.

It won't be long and the February swap will begin. Of course, keep chatting here if you like. I think only the game prizes are still "in flight."

Jeanne

o

Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 12:30

Jeanne, so sorry to hear about your wreck. Thankfully, it wasn't more serious. I know what you mean about the delayed 'getting worse.'

For winter sowing, I prep containers ahead of time on nice weather days. I dislike digging in the dirt when it's bitter cold and windy, even in the greenhouse. It tears my hands up.

Sharon, hope you feel much better soon! I have a cold, maybe a sinus infection. But it's not stopping me; not yet anyways.

o

Jeanne, I received my prize...thanks so much!!!!!!

Katie, glad you enjoyed the opposites. Yes, I will be planting the runner beans, probably in March. I planted the favas and telephone peas in November. Even with our very warm weather they are doing great. The favas are about 3-4 ft tall right now and the telephone peas are 5-6ft.

Happy Day to all. Once again..Jeanne a very fun swap. Thank you!!

Annie

o

Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 13:11

Hi Everyone! What a great swap this was!! Kind of wish I had joined, but maybe Jeanne will have it again sometime, I really like that idea!

I'll be posting the February swap soon. It's going to be about upcycling and you'll get to vote on how you want the swap to run! Need to do some tweaking and then I'll post.

Jeanne, hope you get to feeling better. Take care, please! When is the new little one due?

Our weather warmed up today, I think it's 10 above out there at this point. Supposed to go back below zero tonight. Snow off and on today too. Too #@!!*%&#!! cold!

Have a great weekend, All!
Shirley!

o

Busy week for me! Jeanne... I'm so glad you went to se the doctor (for real, not opposite) because so many people ignore their injuries after a car crash. I'm happy you're on-the-mend.

A queasy tummy is the worst, Sharon. I'm relieved that you're recovering. That was an awesome package you sent her, Alana!

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 10:33

o

That's great Sheri! Are you anywhere in those photos. :)

o

Jeanne, this was a great swap. Thanks again!

This post was edited by Panhandle_Seed_Swap on Tue, Jan 28, 14 at 10:32

o

Would you like to have a seat in my garden?
LOL... I am so happy to have snow. I was hoping to get to watch the snowflakes come down all yesterday afternoon, but it was a little after 9 pm when they started to fall so that didn't work out. I believe this is the first snowfall for us in 2-3 years. I had been waiting!

Okay. I see the new swap has been posted. Someone asked about the prizes I sent out for the game winners. I sent something that was edible and something that looked edible, but wasn't: Valentine candy and a notepad with a matching pen and the design of the notepad was a cupcake, but definitely not one to eat!

Well, time for some lunch and I think I'll spend some time looking out the window admiring the snow.

Jeanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from the U.S. are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here