Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

NEW: Incredible Edibles Seed Clean Out Swap!!

booberry85
14 years ago

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Ok, so you've gotten all your new catalogs and decided what you're going to order. You've pulled out a pen and paper a dozen times to design the spring garden. Before you order those seeds, don't you think you should clean some out of your stash?!

Good! I'm glad you decided to do so! You'll feel better. Those seeds that have just sat there will go to someone that will use them and you may get a few things you want too.

HERE"S HOW IT WORK

*This will be for edibles only. These can be vegetables, fruits, herbs and edible flowers.

* Viable seeds only please!

* It is NOT intended to be a swap to building your stash. It is truly meant to clean out your stash of seeds. Since it is a seed clean out there is a good chance of you getting less seeds back. Unwanted seeds are being donated to Need 4 Seed, an organization that distributes seeds to those in need.

* Please send a list of seeds that you have sent along with a list of seeds you do not wish to receive. Make sure to include both your name & GW name on the list.

* Please send a list of wants. Make sure to include both your name & GW name on the list.

* Please make sure your "want list" is up to date on GW.

* You will need to send me a SASBE to get your package back to you.

* I will look at people's trade lists and wish lists to see what their wants are. If there are seeds to match or come close to your wants you'll get them. If there are seeds that are questionable, I'll post a "Going Once, Going Twice" where someone can speak up if they want them. The "Going Once, Going Twice" only applies to those participating in the swap. To keep the time table moving it'll be posted for 3 days. If no one claims them at the end of 3 days, they'll go to Need 4 Seed. The rest will be donated to Need 4 Seed. For example: I have enough Canary Melon seeds to feed a small army. If someone desires these seeds in our group, there yours! If not, I will gladly donate these to Need 4 Seed. I don't expect anything back in return for them.

Please sign up by January 24. Please have seeds into me by January 31. The first week in February will start the "Going Once, Going Twice" posts. Seeds to go out the third week in February. Make sure to update your trade lists!"

This was a lot of fun last year. We had a few very generous donations. People participating got some great seeds and Need 4 Seed got a great big box full of seeds to distribute to those in need. Let's start the holidays & the New Year right and make it a great swap for everyone!

Happy Gardening!

Comments (98)

• jessewo
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The seeds went out yesterday!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As the DH put it, I got the "big bonanza" of seeds today! :)
    I received seeds from Jessew, Highalttransplant, and Farmergirl2009.

My work has been terribly busy and shows no signs of slowing down. So I have not been able to do as much sorting of seeds as I had hoped. However, I'll work on it this weekend. The good news is, I think we're getting a great selection seeds!

Here's who's in so far:
    Booberry85*
    Carsons Mimi*
    Slo Garden*
    Sassybutterfly 2008
    Sunnyk
    Dirtdiggin
    Bgrow_gardens
    Luvgardening2
    Aphroditelaughs*
    Angelady
    Highalttransplant*
    Jessew*
    Yotetrapper
    Farmergirl2009*
    Shinyalloy
    Garden Proj Mgr
    Sewwht*
    Lisa831
    Ginabean
    and maybe Julianna from Canada!

There's still plenty of time to sign up & participate!

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

My seeds went out this afternoon(the tomato swap too)!! What a relief to have finally gotten everything off into the mail today....I can imagine you will feel that way triple times when this swap is over LOL!!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whew! Glad the work week is over. Next week is going to be another busy one though! I'm glad I don't have too many things to do this weekend (except sorting seeds, of course!)
    Here's who's in so far:
    Booberry85*
    Carsons Mimi*
    Slo Garden*
    Sassybutterfly 2008
    Sunnyk
    Dirtdiggin
    Bgrow_gardens
    Luvgardening2
    Aphroditelaughs*
    Angelady
    Highalttransplant*
    Jessew*
    Yotetrapper
    Farmergirl2009*
    Shinyalloy
    Garden Proj Mgr
    Sewwht*
    Lisa831*
    Ginabean
    Julianna from Canada!

*Received seeds

There's still plenty of time to sign up & participate!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Received seeds today from SunnyK today. Thank you so much! I'm off to sort seeds!

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Whew...I always hold my breath til the seeds make their way to their new home. Now I can breathe a bit...not completely as Christy hasnt gotten the 'mater seeds yet....but at least I am not blue anymore, LOL!

Thanks for doing all of this Becky!!

Donna

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No packages today or yesterday. :( Don't forget seeds are due to me be January 31!

There's still some time left to sign up!

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I would like to join this swap as well. I was just going through my seeds this weekend thinking about all the extra veggie seeds I have and wondering what I would do with the ones I don't sow. This is perfect! Funny!! I have to update my trade list and get my seeds sorted.

Am I supposed to send you an email, or should I wait to hear from you?

Amy

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Amy!

Welcome to the swap! I'll send an email to you shortly.

No packages today.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Hi everyone ! Well I am happy to say that for ONCE, noone is ill at our house! woohoo!! lol We've all been passing the flu around since just before Christmas!

I am happily sorting seeds today so I am hoping to get my pkg out early next week! Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Hugs,
    Wendy / sassyb.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wendy, glad you and the family can enjoy the weekend!

Happy seed sorting,
    Becky

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone! Please don't forget, seeds are due to me by January 31. Please try and get them out in the mail this week.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone! I received two more packages today. One from Yotetrapper & one from Sorellina (our friend from Canada). What a wonderful selection of seeds! The two of you were very generous!

Please try and get your seeds out this week if you haven't sent them already.

Here's who's in so far:
    Booberry85*
    Carsons Mimi*
    Slo Garden*
    Sassybutterfly 2008
    Sunnyk*
    Dirtdiggin
    Bgrow_gardens
    Luvgardening2
    Aphroditelaughs*
    Angelady
    Highalttransplant*
    Jessew*
    Yotetrapper*
    Farmergirl2009*
    Shinyalloy
    Garden Proj Mgr
    Sewwht*
    Lisa831*
    Ginabean
    Soreellina from Canada!*
    Dieg01991

*Received seeds

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Hey...Sorellina is here?!? I recognise her from another site I frequent!!

• dirtdiggin
    14 years ago

Hi, Seeds are on their way :)

Toni

• spoonietreasure
    14 years ago

i would love to pay it forward! got my beap packed last night...

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Spoonietreasure,

I just sent you an email through the garden web. Please let me know if you received it.

• fleethart
    14 years ago

Becky,
    Could I please join, if you think that my seeds could arrive before the 31? I live west of rochester,so not too far.
    I am ready to mail today, with your OK.

fingers crossed,
    Tauna

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Spoonietreasure & Tauna,

Welcome to the swap. Tauna, I'll email you the details shortly. Spoonietreasure you should have received an email from me regarding the details.

Please try and get your seeds out this week if you haven't sent them already.

Here's who's in so far:
    Booberry85*
    Carsons Mimi*
    Slo Garden*
    Sassybutterfly 2008
    Sunnyk*
    Dirtdiggin
    Bgrow_gardens
    Luvgardening2
    Aphroditelaughs*
    Angelady
    Highalttransplant*
    Jessew*
    Yotetrapper*
    Farmergirl2009*
    Shinyalloy
    Garden Proj Mgr
    Sewwht*
    Lisa831*
    Ginabean
    Sorellina from Canada!*
    Dieg01991
    Spoonietreasure
    Fleethart

*Received seeds

• bgrow_gardens
    14 years ago

Hi Becky,
    I just wanted you to know that I sent out the seeds ~ Unfortunately...brain dead here!! I forgot to include a wanted list to go with it... if you wan't I can post it again to you? I sent it out with a confirmation, so I hope it is sure to get to you in time? >>> Just giving you a heads up to look for it ~
    .....I lost some seeds in the mail...if you get them please let me know....they went out with this mailing and I'm not sure if you received them or another person.. Just to give you a heads up.. I included self addy labels too, if they are in there let me know and I will happily send you $$ and postage for a bubble mailer... sigh I just don't know what to think these days I'm such a ditz!!!
    bgrow_gardens
    a.k.a bgrow_gardens

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for giving me the heads up bout the package, bgrow_gardens. I'll be looking for it.

• shinyalloy_5
    14 years ago

Mailed out first thing yesterday, I hope it gets to you in time. Had the deadline for this swap mixed up with another, DOH!

MARY

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received seeds today from Fleethart. She added a great variety to our pool o seeds. I'll be doing more sorting of seeds on Sunday!

Here's who's in so far:
    Booberry85*
    Carsons Mimi*
    Slo Garden*
    Sassybutterfly 2008
    Sunnyk*
    Dirtdiggin
    Bgrow_gardens
    Luvgardening2
    Aphroditelaughs*
    Angelady
    Highalttransplant*
    Jessew*
    Yotetrapper*
    Farmergirl2009*
    Shinyalloy
    Garden Proj Mgr
    Sewwht*
    Lisa831*
    Ginabean
    Sorellina from Canada!*
    Dieg01991
    Spoonietreasure
    Fleethart*

*Received seeds

• clabarr
    14 years ago

I have seeds ready to go, but would miss the deadline, so I guess I will need to bow out. I am working in a tax office and I am swamped!
    Connie

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

My seeds are in the mail. I hope that you will get them by Monday, sorry I'm a bit late. Becky, I emailed you the list of seeds I sent.

Amy

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

Ok, I just updated my "wants" list on Gardenweb.

Amy

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received seeds today from Shinyalloy and the big bonanza of seeds from Ginabean! Both added a great variety to our pool of seeds. I'll be doing more sorting of seeds on tomorrow!

Here's who's in so far:
    Booberry85*
    Carsons Mimi*
    Slo Garden*
    Sassybutterfly 2008
    Sunnyk*
    Dirtdiggin
    Bgrow_gardens
    Luvgardening2
    Aphroditelaughs*
    Angelady
    Highalttransplant*
    Jessew*
    Yotetrapper*
    Farmergirl2009*
    Shinyalloy*
    Garden Proj Mgr
    Sewwht*
    Lisa831*
    Ginabean*
    Sorellina from Canada!*
    Dieg01991
    Spoonietreasure
    Fleethart*

*Received seeds

• garden_proj_mgr
    14 years ago

Sorry Booberry and Christy, I have totally missed the deadline. I'll catch this next year around and I won't be so tardy! I've got my tomatoes almost ready to go so I'll definitely have those in for the tomato swap. Sorry again!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received seeds today from Bgrow-gardens and the Dieg01991! Thanks so much! Still looking for seeds from Sassy, Dirtdiggin, Angelady, and Spoonietreasure. I'll wait a couple more days for seeds to get here. Sorry about you dropping Garden Proj Mgr, but I do appreciate you respecting the deadline.

Here's who's in so far:
    Booberry85*
    Carsons Mimi*
    Slo Garden*
    Sassybutterfly 2008
    Sunnyk*
    Dirtdiggin
    Bgrow_gardens*
    Luvgardening2
    Aphroditelaughs*
    Angelady
    Highalttransplant*
    Jessew*
    Yotetrapper*
    Farmergirl2009*
    Shinyalloy*
    Garden Proj Mgr - drop
    Sewwht*
    Lisa831*
    Ginabean*
    Sorellina from Canada!*
    Dieg01991*
    Spoonietreasure
    Fleethart*

*Received seeds

I will start the "Going Once, Going twice" as an update for the swap. So it will read:
    Update: Seed Clean Out Going Once...

I have a killer project at work that is due on friday (I didn't want to take the project to begin with but I was overruled.) So I will start the update over the weekend (probably Sunday so I can have Saturday to sort seeds some more.) So be on the lookout Sunday! The seeds that are up for grabs on the update will be a first come first serve.

Becky

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OOPS! Sorry Sassy! I just found your package! So we're just missing a couple packages now.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No seeds today. :(

Here's who's in so far:
    Booberry85*
    Carsons Mimi*
    Slo Garden*
    Sassybutterfly 2008*
    Sunnyk*
    Dirtdiggin
    Bgrow_gardens*
    Luvgardening2
    Aphroditelaughs*
    Angelady
    Highalttransplant*
    Jessew*
    Yotetrapper*
    Farmergirl2009*
    Shinyalloy*
    Sewwht*
    Lisa831*
    Ginabean*
    Sorellina from Canada!*
    Dieg01991*
    Spoonietreasure
    Fleethart*

*Received seeds

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Hi everyone! I was just checking to be sure you rec'd my pkg and I see ya did :)

Sorry I haven't been around.. we've got roof leaking issues and I just found out the whole attic has mold all over the top inside.. ughh! So we're moving and rearranging boxes and 'stuff'... LOTS of stuff..lol But I'll be checking in off and on between box moving :P

Hugs all,
    Wendy / sassyb

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about your Leaky roof Wendy...we have been dealing with that same issue for years.We even had our roof replaced at one point. Of course the roofer messed it up and we still have a leak but only when the rain comes down a certain way, and maybe once every 2 years. So we just deal with it. Although now that my son is all grown up I may ask him to pull up his courage(we are both afraid of heights) and go up and re-silicone the area where the problem is coming from. Hope yours is easier to deal with :)

Donna

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about your leaky roof, Wendy. I understand how frustrating it can be. My Mom had hers "fixed" and had a new roof put on this summer and it's STILL leaking! The roofer said he can't do anything until the snow melts off the roof.

One more package today! Here's were we stand. I haven't heard from Angelady. I know she dropped out from another swap I was in recently. Hope you're ok. Luvgardening2 emailed me with her situation about a week ago.I'm also missing seeds from Spoonietreasure.

Here's who's in so far:
    Booberry85*
    Carsons Mimi*
    Slo Garden*
    Sassybutterfly 2008*
    Sunnyk*
    Dirtdiggin*
    Bgrow_gardens*
    Luvgardening2
    Aphroditelaughs*
    Angelady
    Highalttransplant*
    Jessew*
    Yotetrapper*
    Farmergirl2009*
    Shinyalloy*
    Sewwht*
    Lisa831*
    Ginabean*
    Sorellina from Canada!*
    Dieg01991*
    Spoonietreasure
    Fleethart*

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    14 years ago

Oh, Becky! I'm SO sorry! I totally forgot to get my seeds together and out to you. Wendy sent me a message in regards to this. Thank you, Wendy! I have an upcoming hospital appointment in Dallas for my daughter I have to leave to this weekend through the first of next week, so I'm not going to have time now to participate after all. I dropped out of that other swap that I was a "maybe" in, but thought I'd still have time for this one. I feel just awful for not checking in sooner. Life has been so busy for me lately. I can't believe I totally flaked on this one as I really wanted to participate!

Blessings,
    Angela

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to hear from you Angela. Happy you're ok. I completely understand about being busy. Take care of yourself & your daughter.

Becky

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received seeds today from Luvgardening2. So that leaves one mystery, Spoonietreasure - no seeds yet. I'm still planning on going forward and starting the "Going Once, Going Twice" on Sunday. Would you believe I forgot it was the Superbowl!!!! We finished my killer project at work today. Hurray! Maybe things will fall back to the usual hurried pace!

Happy Gardening!
    Becky

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So I went through my second pass of sorting seeds this morning. I was hoping to get some seeds in the mail but they haven't come yet. :( The good news is I have found quite a few things for everyone. So the question comes, will you be happy with precise things off your wish list? or if you turned in 20, 30, 40,... seeds packets, are you expecting that amount back?

Thanks for your help!
    Becky

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I would rather only get a few things off my wish list then 30 things that I may not need and that could be donated, but thats just me LOL!

I am definitely NOT expecting back as much as I sent in. :)

Donna

• dieg01991
    14 years ago

I feel the same way as Donna. I would only like to receive stuff on my wants list and anything I request on the "going once.." posts. This will be fun!! Thanks Becky!

• bgrow_gardens
    14 years ago

Hi Becky,
    Just my humble opinion here. I had a lot of season's end seeds to share. I hope that some go to everyone here that participates ~ I also hope that I sent enough to get some to the need 4 seeds charity as well. That was also somewhat my intent as well. I have happily/relieved that I cleaned out my seed box. I am looking forward to getting a few different/new seeds to try as well. I don't need oodles/hordes of seeds back... I mean after all what is the point of cleaning out the excess only to fill it up with excess again? I happily joined your swap because I really wanted too just share my excess of seeds with others whom might not readily have access to what I was growing. Yet they may have an excess of something I could really use.....Does that make sense? I really do need cucumbers, and possibly some sweet corn too... I went through my stuff to grow for this years garden and found that I am seriously lacking in the cucumber/corn department! Any herb seeds would be welcome too. I have on my GW member page a list of stuff I would love to have. I did not get a list too you of stuff that I wanted simply in my excitement / urgency of finally being able to get the seeds on there way to you I simply forgot. >>>lots o' stuff happening around here!!So if in question please peruse my GW member page... Just please remember my yard is a small area to garden, so no pumpkins please... They large or small the plants simply overwhelm my small space ~ Thank you again for hosting such a neat swap!! I am really excited to participate in my first round robin hope it goes well for everyone. I don't get off work unitl late at night so please have a little patience with the going, going, gone on the seeds... I might not get a chance to post until late at night with my work schedule quite hectic here... so please have some patience in that regard...
    bgrow_gardens

• fleethart
    14 years ago

Hello,

I don't mind things that are not on my list. My garden is an acre so I buy seed by the pound unless its expensive then I trade or buy a little and harvest seed each year until I have enough to plant and eat. While I building the seed stock I trial different varieties of vegatables. Its a great way to try new things I have not tried in the past. Last year was the first year I had enough Hutterite beans to eat and have a stable population to plant next year. Unfortunately a bean grown by an old neighbor did not do well and I found out this week that he is dying. This year I will plant some of his beans while reserving some as a back-up in the event of another bad year. In this way I have found my favorite parsley, lettuces, bok choi, corn, kale, collards, cauliflower and carrot. I am still trialing peas, cabbage, soybeans, onions, snap beans, spinach, cucumber, popcorn and parsnip. The art of growing broccoli, orach, potatoes, celery, and more is still eluding me. this year I would like to try celeriac, root parsley, cutting celery, soup peas, lentils, chick peas, mangels, and work more herbs into the field. But its a big field and I like trying new things because it reduces my catalogue wish list. I try not to order from more than 2 catalogues and trading allows me to do that and to share some of my favorites.
    Cheers,
    Tauna
    ~FleetHart~

• slo_garden
    14 years ago

I definitely don't expect to get back as much as I sent in. If I get one or two things on my wish list, I'll be happy.

• carsons_mimi
    14 years ago

Becky,

I agree with the majority. We went into this knowing the 'clean-out' swap was primarily for the benefit of Need 4 Seed. I would be thrilled to receive a few things on my wish list yet have the greater portion go to the charity. Just my thoughts~

Thanks for coordinating this effort.

Lynn (aka carsons_mimi)

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! I guess I needed the reassurance. When I wake up tomorrow I'll post the "Update: Seed Clean Out going Once..." With the seeds that are remaining.

I have a good stash of doubles, triples, etc of seeds already set aside for Need 4 Seed. Here's how I work it. Say someone sends in 5 sets of Waltham Butternut squashes. Now say only one person wants them. That person gets a pack of seeds. With the other 4 packets, 2 go directly to Need 4 Seed and 2 get listed on the "Update: Seed Clean Out Going Once." That way I'm sure Need 4 Seed gets a good stash of seeds. I had a lot of singles of tomatoes. So I split the stack that were left over. Half are going to Need 4 Seed and half will be on the update tomorrow.

• sassybutterfly_2008
    14 years ago

Sounds like a great plan Becky :) I, too, am really only looking for things specifically on my wish list so that works perfectly!

It feels good knowing we are contributing to a worthy cause!

Hugs,
    Wendy / sassyb.

• ginabean
    14 years ago

Hi Becky and fellow swappers,

I'm new to Round-Robin-ing and I pretty much wiped out my stash on this swap. Having checked other folks' have lists I was hopeful that this swap could fill several of my wants so I didn't even keep much that I don't intend to plant this season. So while I'm not expecting to receive back as much seed as I sent (I sent multiples of most seeds) and only need one packet of each seed I receive, I really hope some of the varieties I'm looking for will be available cuz I have nothing left to trade for it ;)

For the leftovers tomorrow, will we each be notified of the seeds already held for us before the rest are posted? We'll have some way to know so that we don't wind up claiming something up-for-grabs that you've already saved for us, right?

Thanks Becky and all fellow participants for this great opportunity to help others as well as each other!
    Regina

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Everyone! The lists are up of the extra seeds. You can follow the link below. Please post about what you would like. There are 8 lists posted. Please scroll down on the Update page to see them all. I'll be looking at the Update page for peoples posts. So please post your wants there.

I don't send send people lists of seeds that they already have in their stash (No surprises! What fun would that be?) However, if you claim something off of the "Going Once... Going Twice" lists that's already in your stash, I'll let you know and ask you if you still want it.

Have fun Everyone!
    Becky

• tropicalstorm
    14 years ago

Is it too late to join this? I have plenty of seeds I could send. Thank you.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tropicalstorm, It's too late to join this swap. However, Need 4 Seed will gladly take seed donations at any point during the year. Email me and I'll give you the lady's email address who coordinates Need 4 Seed.

Also Incredible Edibles is about to post its 2nd Annual Spring Fling Swap. It's lots of fun and you'll get to learn about some fun gardening people that share the same interests as you and you'll get to exchange fun seeds to start your vegetable garden with.

Please look for it!