Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

Secret Squirrel Swap

beth_b_kodiak
18 years ago

I don't know about you, but, I tend to get a bit squirrley in Jan and Feb when I can't get into the dirt to play and even the winter sow pots show no signs of life. So to help pass the time... how about a secret squirrel swap. You will send and receive three packages. oOe in Jan and two in Feb approx two weeks apart.

Rules will be: maximum cost of $5.00 per package. Stuff that you make yourself or find squirreled away somewhere around your house is even better and all must relate somehow to squirrles, trees, or nuts.

This is your chance to be creative, funny or a bit squirrley and help to bring some smiles to a fellow gardeners face.

Anybody interested?

Comments (101)

• skohler
    18 years ago

well I just came home to feed my babies & get them tucked in for the night ,Before I go back to sit with marykay my elderly friend at the trailer park :))
    But I just had to take time to post the box I got today from my squirrely friend.

garden_witch :))) & what a nice box it is .
    my nutty friend sent this squirrel
    2 xmas santa's , 3 packs of French vanilla coffee,
    3pks of seeds sunflower "discovery mix,sunflower "kong"
    & Dicentra spectabilis Bleeding Hearts AKA Squirrel corn
    can hardly wait to plant these.
    dangly beads , a votive Holder with a beeswax candle hand made & a bar of homemade soap as for the name of it my new puppy must have taken the tag of it for I can't find it but smells maybe vanilla I think :))
    SNICKER MINI"S also .
    thank you garden_witch going to enjoy the coffee in the morning :)))
    have a great night to all

susie

• sassyd
    18 years ago

Ok I'm posting a pic, but you can't see everything from my secret squirrel from IL (I'm guessing?) Thank you so much, just great! And I apologize for not getting this posted yesterday....

Ok, let me get all of this~~~~The cutest seed/bulb tote (which I totally intend to make a cute flower arrangement in), 2 Narcissus bulbs "Paperwhites", (luv em' don't have em'),
    Alluim bulb "Purple Sensation" (Squirrel gonna get kicked in the butt!) lol I have wanted that for along time! Puschkinia Libanotica bulbs (Beautiful!), Hardy Banana Tree bulb (Looking forward to that one too!)

Seed~~~~Snapdragon "Magic Carpet", Verbena, Hardy Hibiscus, Moonflower "White", Cypress Vine, Blue Eyed Grass & Dianthus "Microchip x Zing Rose"/

AND: She made sure she had the cutest little labels on every single thing! (Very thoughtful you are....)

Also included: plant labels (needed badly) A copy of Country Woman Magazine, the cutest little garden journal (So pretty) &

Receipes for:

Glazed Raspberry Pie (DH has already told me i'm sub.ing strawberries, lol)
    Savory Swiss Cheesecake (OMG....looks to die for!)
    Lemon Fruit Dip (Looks Yummy!)
    Basil Tortellini Soup (Girl, I know I'm trying this!)
    Peanut Butter Baskets (I doubt they'll EVER get to see the baskets!) lol

And most special~~~~The cutest little hand written note saying "Squirrel..Seed/Bulb Repair Kit! Now isn't that the cutest?????

Thanks so much for everything, you're a doll!

Again, please forgive me for not posting sooner! Here's a peek gals.....

{{gwi:1315527}}

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

hmmmm, secret squirrel swap

are we supposed to keep our identities a secret? what's the official rule on this?

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Earthly, No "official" ruling on the identity question. It would be fun to remail anonomus (SP??) but for many of us that would not be possible. Several are "only one in the state", so a look at the postmark is a giveaway.
    I personally never try to guess I enjoy the extra suspense but for someone who is dying to know it is not difficult through checking states and zones to eliminate most of the players.
    I used to use Jeanette (number1 angel's) address for all my swaps but she has moved. I also used to send packages to my daughters to mail from various places.
    So,No rule except if you want to be secret... give it a try.

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

98% of a squirrel's energy relates to FOOD. A squirrel eats MORE than it's entire body weight in food every week.
    A squirrel's prefered position for eating is sitting on his hind legs BUT a squirrel can eat in any position including up side down.
    Squirrels bury nuts for winter but then can not remember where they burried them.... sound familliar?

• number_1_angel
    18 years ago

Beth-- I would like to blame 'not remembering' where anything is on the fact that I moved 3 times in the past 6 months---BUT---fact is I could probably hide my own easter eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha!! This is a great idea--my squirrely box will go out friday---with goodies for my
    'squirrely friend'--I know my identity will not be a secret long!!:)
    Jeanette

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

wow jeanette, 3 times in 6 months. what's up with that? and LOL - you could hide your own easter eggs.

i am putting my first package together and hope to have it out by the end of the week. the weather is just horrendous today, so i think i'll stay in and vegetate.

looking forward to hearing what everyone gets, so i know i'm on the right trach. my brain is a little blurred with this one, don't know why, it should be easy, but.....

have a good day, everyone.

earthly/maryanne

• sassyd
    18 years ago

My squirrely box is on its way to Alaska! Whoooohoo, wonder who's there? *giggles* Beth I had a ball putting together a package for you & yours squirrely friends! Hope you enjoy....I mailed it yesterday via UPS track #
    1z6408w10350456718.

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

That's a cute trick, how did you train that little bugger, Sassy?!? lol =)

You're welcome, Sue! The soap is honey~almond milk soap =) Did you notice the little squirrel peeking out of one of the tree-Santas? Mini-snickers are better than packing peanuts anyday ;)
    I was going to try to keep my ID a secret till the end, but I couldn't think of another return address to use =oP And I know Sue has mine, so...

Can't wait for my box o' nuttiness!

Shannon

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sassy, I just love the hoola hooping squirrel. Does he live in your yard? They are so smart already... don't think I'd want to teach them any more tricks.

• sassyd
    18 years ago

Shannon...patience is a virtue! And lots of treats of course! *giggles*

Beth...he's really the sweet one, just keep him fed and he does tricks and leaves my bulbs alone! lol

Now, this sucker....you can't feed enough!

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

My squirrel package arrived!!!! Thanks so much Secret Squirrel Buddy! It had several packets of seeds, hyacinth bulbs and a pot to plant them in, aromatherapy candles, a cute candleholder, body lotion, and corn to feed to the squirrels... LOL I am getting in the mood to plant lately, too.
    I think I know who sent my package to me, but in case someone is trying to remain secret - I won't say.
    Thanks again, Pal.

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Glad you liked your box pal, where are the treats? This squirrel wants chocolate

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The UPS Man was here and wow What A BOX of goodies he brought. A big bag of squirrley treats. All nice cozy southern hospitality type stuff that sure would not grow here.
    Corn on the cob, well, ears of corn (I guess it's still a cob even though it's dry) Pecans, these squirrels will think they have gone to heaven, sunflower seeds AND a sweet potatoe. I never tried that but I bet they like it. Should I cook it or just slice it up and put it in a dish??
    Then, treats for me but very appropriatly Squirrley with nuts in each one. Snickers with Peanuts and almonds M&M Peanuts, salted peanuts and a peanut bar, That should keep me going for at least a couple days.
    A sachet called laundry line. It smells wonderful and and made me think about a squirrel walking tightrope on a laundry line. Cute.
    There was also a boot and some magazines. I'm running low on reading material and I love the pictures in the birds and blooms.
    NOW!!!! The clincher..... the greatest squirrley gift yet.... A mug with el squirrel dressed up as Seedo Bandido. Black mask, red cape, and a caption saying, "just hand over the seed and no one will get hurt". How perfect.
    I can't say thanks enough. This box was full of smiled and laughs too. Wonderful job there Sassy D.

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

I mailed the Secret Squirrel box with treats on Tuesday. Has someone received it? Beginning to worry a little. It didn't have far to travel.

• sassyd
    18 years ago

Beth so glad you liked! It was fun, and the coffee mug is what I told you I've had for several months trying to decide which robin to use it in, then you came up with this one and I thought it was perfect! And yes, squirrels LOVE sweet potatoes! And you want to see something funny, tie a string from an ear of that corn and hang it from a tree branch, lol You'll get all the laughs you can stand!
    For the rest of you heres a pic of Beth's mug....

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Sassy, that is adorable! Where did you find it? Must have one! hehe...

Also, just checking... Beth, our second and third boxes go out in the first and last parts of February, right?

Shannon

• sassyd
    18 years ago

Ok girls...the squirrel has arrived..whewwww was he glad to get out of that box, so hot here today he was sweatin'!
    Got some great candy (with nuts, of course) and some Gourmet Coffee (Southern Pecan flavored) Love it! Thanks so much Jeanne! I will have this out on Monday, till then he sits on my desk watching me talk to ya'll lol

Shannon, I got that at one of my favorite places in the world....Wild Birds Unlimited, omg, I love that store!

Beth....do not cook the sweet tater! you don't even have to cut it into chunks. you can if you want, but not necessary, believe me they'll handle it!

Diane

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Dianne, That sweet tater will be frozen so solid when I put it out the furry tails will not know if it is cooked or raw anyway. It is -37 tonight Good thing our squirtels have tough teeth. LOL
    What kinda candy did you get??? If it is SS's favorite that puts Jeanne on the list for a prize. Pecan flovored coffee sounds goood too though I know squirrel never had that before. Glad you are getting to have a nice visit with S.Squirrel. I hope he is really enjoying his southern vacation. I'm sure ready for mine too.
    Wild birds unlimited sounds like my kinda place. Maybe on my next cross country trip I'll get to shop at one. Sounds like a blast. Back to work tomorrow night and I'm taking the new mug to show it off. Thanks again.
    Beth B

• sassyd
    18 years ago

You pool woman! Better wait awhile I guess! Sweet potatoes last a good while, not to worry! I got M & M's with peanuts and M & M's with almonds! My fav...with a bag of chips! lol If you ever run up on a WBU you must check it out! I get into soooooo much trouble everytime I go in there! *giggles* So glad you liked the mug!

Diane

• skohler
    18 years ago

I think you can visit the online wbu & fine a few really nice Items & get many Ideas of out door plants
    for your feathered friends & more :)))

http://www.wbupleasanthill.com is just one of the links
    well sunday am where has the week gone ??? its great ready :)) but now its time to get my day started .
    have a great day all .
    susie

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

I will have to check that site out =) Thanx!

Shannon

• mellen
    18 years ago

To my secret squirrel pal who I will be sending to, I am making your "stuff" for your package today. It will go out tomorrow. Mellen

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Mellen, please don't touch the explosives.Go Seahawks

• sassyd
    18 years ago

Ok girls! The squirrel is snuggled in and on the move! Hope my squirrely friend enjoys her treats, and treats for squirrel, when he's released of course! lol This is a fun swap but I sure have no idea what i'll do for my next boxes! lol Gotta put my nutty cap back on!

USPS Conf. # 0304 1560 0007 7435 1251

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

My nutty caps been on for the last few days...preparing a fun box for my squirrely friend to dig through! LOL!

When is the second box supposed to go out? The last week of January? And the last (third)... Feb. (first or second week)?

Help organize this squirrel! She needs to know! ;)

Deb/IL.

• number_1_angel
    18 years ago

WOWIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Earthly!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Today I recieved my 3 packages all at the same time--and I didn't mind at all Maryanne!! But I will list them all --in case you have sent the special something that the traveling squirrel is looking for---here goes:
    'gardening package'
    4 packs of seeds
    mini rose bush
    narcissus bulbs
    plant stake
    wood plant markers and pen
    gone gardening sign
    welcome gnome
    'paper package'
    planner
    journal
    calendar
    Better Homes and Garden mag-Feb issue
    desktop papers
    'food package'
    choc. covered cherries--nuts--assorted fillings
    caramel corn
    cinnamon coated roasted cashews
    milk chocolate
    beer bread mix
    garlic dip
    spinach dip
    I don't know where to start!!!! Thank you sooooooooooooo much--
    Now I can just sit back-- and watch to see what everyone else gets!!(while I am eating chocolates and cinnamon covered nuts!)(mmmmmmmmmmmmmm)
    Thanks for pairing me with 'Earthly' Beth--she is as great a 'partner' as you are a 'Hostess'
    Have fun kids--I am watching for the traveling squirrel now!
    Jeanette-aka-number_1_angel

• sassyd
    18 years ago

Wow Jeanette! sounds like earthly done good!

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

angel/jeanette

i hope you weren't disappointed that it all came at once, but if it didn't, i would have had to withdrawal and i certainly didn't want to do that. so i hope i didn't ruin your fun by sending all at once. i themed them out so you would recognize each week.

i enjoyed putting the package together for you and hope you enjoy it. thanks for the kind words!

either of those two dips go so excellent with that beer bread. super delicious!

earthly/maryanne

• veeja11
    18 years ago

ok earthly, now I'm worried you even put beer in your bread?now little angel will be a saucer also. go seahawks

• number_1_angel
    18 years ago

Earthly--really--didn't mind at all--I am still going through the box and will enjoy it until I have used or planted or eaten everything you sent----and Veeja---don't worry--Earthly and I can handle a little beerbread!!
    Sassyd--we haven't 'met' yet--happy to see you here--and YES!! Earthly did a SPECTACULAR job--I love your squirrel eating the snickers--in fact--I snickered at the snicker eating squirrel--oooh--thats bad--hahahaha--I better get back to work!!
    Jeanette/Angel

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

Wow Earthly really knows how to pack a box! I'm requesting Earthly for my next swap, LOL!

Diane,
    Your siggie is soooo cute! Snickers are my favorite!
    Watching that squirrel munching on it, is making me want one!

~Deb~

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

thanks Deb, that makes me feel really special. you inspired me for "theme-ing". i was your pal in carol's secret elf swap and just loved the themed packages.

carol - i love the fact that you worry about me but rest assured, i am not much for the taste of beer, but this bread is fantastic and it calls for beer. i do believe you can use club soda, but i "borrow" a beer when i visit somewhere and then i can make it.

have a good night everyone.

maryanne/earthly

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Maryanne, I have your second package all boxed up so I will get it to the post office tomorrow or the day after. So in a few days, keep a lookout for it!
    Diane, the picture of the squirrel eating the Snickers is so cute. Love it!

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Box # 2 is on it's way, Earthly it starts out borrowing beer. Pal this one has a story so read notes to understand gifts. hugs carol

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

My first box came today =) Inside was a gorgeous birdie candle holder, white ceramic with an iridescent glaze ~ This will go perfect with my X-mas decorations! Also two packets of seeds, one for black hollyhocks and one for 'black gem' bachelors buttons, I just love black flowers! There were also two packages of homemade turtle candies, actually made in turtle molds =) mmmmmmm chocolate!

Now, on the outside of the box was Beth's return address, but earlier she posted that she sent her package in a priority envelope.... Is my pal masquarading as our host? Or is is really Beth??? hmmmmmm....

Either way,

Thank You!!! I'm off to eat some more turtles!!!
    Shannon

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

HI all, I'm just catching up on the posts here and I say "go for the beer". It's gotta be better in bread than in a glass. I personally like it with steamed crabs covering it up.
    Just love the Snickery Squirrel. You gals are so clever.... I'm proud to know you.
    Most anytime is OK for mailing that next box. Chances are slim of the PO getting any delivered before the first of Feb.
    Timing is not critical just so you get two out in Feb. (unless you are ahead and already sent all three.) I've never been ahead of anything unless it was a train. Then I'm just scrambling to get outa the way =)

• sandlapper_rose
    18 years ago

Carol, Box #2 arrived today. Wow! Thanks so much! As Carol said, there was a squirrel story. The WA squirrel is called Sherri. I probably won't remember all that was in the package but here goes: lots of yummy candy, Goldfish crackers, a magnetic shopping list, candles that smell like pies (apple, blueberry and pumpkin - they really smell good!), a scarf tie watch, the cutest radio that is pink and looks like a robot, a clear bag full of bath salts, soap, etc., and the cutest little glass ladybug that has little hearts on the end of her antenna. What a great package. Again, thanks so much!
    {{gwi:1315535}}

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

the "squirrel" landed today packed with snacks from sassy. inside were honey roasted peanuts, a bag of trail mix for small animals, a power bar and a can of starbucks espresso.

i'll be sending him on his way tomorrow to the next in line. am i supposed to post and say where it's going?

thanks,
    earthly/maryanne

• veeja11
    18 years ago

Glad you liked your box sandlapper, hard to find stuff related to squirrels ,so I went with the story idea, the baby squirrel has batteries in it, they go in opposite of what the diagram says, glad you liked your box now to shop for number 3 do you collect anything ? thankyou carol

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Earthly, sounds like S Squirrel is doing a good job of finding snacks. Bet he is having a blast being a guest of honor in all these trees and getting the best snacks in the house. "trail mix for small animals"?? Now that sound interesting!! No need to say where he is going. He'll be there soon.
    I read this in an old Horticulture magazine and wanted to share it;""With the possible exception of squirrels, gardeners may be the most aquisitive creatures on earth. Even well balance gardeners order a good number of seeds "just to try" each year, and few can leave a nursery without buying at least three things they did not need".
    Guess I'm a very "well balanced" gardener because I just ordered about 25 packs from Value seed, 18 from,Pine tree, recieved an order from Sheepers and am anxiously watching for the Select Seed Catalog as I always order from them a time or two. I also sepnt a pleasant evening going through my stash..... like a miser with his money you know except that I'll share. Anybody need any seeds?
    Squirrels, collect seeds!! Got seeds??

• earthlydelights
    18 years ago

well, the snack box is all packed up and will be out in tomorrow's mail. since i am not supposed to say who it is going to, those that are left - head's up. hope you and your squirrely friends enjoy the treats i chose for you.

i received my second package yesterday, which i am just loving. thank you so much pal (jeanne/sandlapper), i just love it.

i got a new book, in the cutest little heart canvas bag. an envelope stamper, a butterfly windsock, a set of bookplates (which are fantastic). a cute little heart body -(it's hands and legs and instead of a body, it's a heart...too cute for words) and a paint sponging kits, which i will try using on some clay flowerpots. there was also the sweets lattice type fabric heart bag filled with hershey kisses and this magnificent "tree free" journal, which is will treasure forever. jeanne, the box was full of great things, but this journal is just so unbelievable!
    i love the card too, which i thank you for and i laughed when you took the "short story" route LOLOL.

thanks for everything jeanne, what a great box!

be well everyone.

earthly

• sassyd
    18 years ago

Beth, that trail mix looked good enough to eat, literly! I just about busted it open myself. lol And the power bar was all nuts of course! This is a fun robin, certainly makes you think....lol

• skohler
    18 years ago

Just limping in to say hope to have my squirrely friends box out by friday :))
    have a great day all on my way to recovery :))

hugs
    susie

{{gwi:1315537}}

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

hehehehe! How cute!

I also have Box #2 packed and ready to go, I should be sending this afternoon (heads up, Sue!) I even found something squirrely for Tag ;)

I am loving all these squirrel pics, where do you find them?!?!?! I think I'm going to to google squirrels ;) or I might just head straight for bed, or do some winter sowing... can't decide! But the pillows and blankies are calling my name....

• dancingmoons
    18 years ago

Starting Feb. 1, 2006 i will be using this email address:

dancingmoons@gmail.com

I will still be checking my old one though :)
    Blue Skies!
    Trish

• Debra Andruska
    18 years ago

My second box went out today! USPS tracking 0305 0830 0002 4989 9569.

I have my third box all ready and waiting to go, but will hold it a little longer (and post when I send it).

• sassyd
    18 years ago

Sue you look so cute in your slippers! Glad you're starting to feel better, so you can chunk that walker to the side! lol Soooooo cute!

Beth, got you a new box of tricks ready to go, going to try and get them out tommrrow. Hope you like!

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Message#100 here, time to start a new page. You gals are doing a great job. Keep feeding that squirrel as he comes begging at your door. I'll start anew post for Feb.
    I'm away on vacation from the first to the 8th but my upstairs neighbor will collect the mail.
    BB

• skohler
    18 years ago

just wanted to let daningmooms Know that the box is on the way :))
    beth this was fun sorry for not understanding some of the rules . but I guess as long as we can enjoy our boxes don't matter if they are early or late :))
    thank you for letting me play
    susie