Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

update: patty's wlomwl swap, received and returned

poisondartfrog
13 years ago

We can use this thread to keep track of whose seeds have been received and when they are sent back out.

Yesterday I received seeds from farmergirl 2009.

There were a lot of seeds for several people so that gave me a practice run at verifying the want lists and logging them in. That took about 30 minutes...not bad. Folders are starting to fatten up already.

Alana

Comments (121)

• austinnhanasmom
    13 years ago

Mine shipped today - sorry for the delay -

DC #9405 5036 9930 0474 7667 77

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

My seeds went out earlier this week, either Tuesday or Thursday. I know it wasn't Wednesday because everything was shut down for a wonderful snow storm. But, I just can't remember if I got them in the mail before or after the storm! Anyway, they ARE in the mail and should get to you soon!

Deanna

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Today I have seeds from highalttransplant, patrob, ggwrn and yotetrapper. Yotetrapper's package was open so I just dumped it out on the desk and everything seems to be intact, including the postage she sent, so all is well.

I will be sorting in bed tonight while I watch Desperate Housewives.
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My increasingly puzzled looking mailman delivered these today:
    esioul
    austinnhanasmom
    silver_cat
    lisam527_ohio_z6
    mao_tse_mom
    jas_il
    columbine21
    deanna_in_nh

• yotetrapper
    13 years ago

I wonder why my package was opened????????

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know yote. It was slit open very neatly and left open.

No packages yesterday or today. We have heard from kilngod, squanzon and molly_and_me and know theirs is on the way.

I'm waiting on angelady and barefootgardener.

I hope to get the first few packs out early next week if I have them all by the weekend. I was laboring under the unreasonable expectation that because you guys had done such a great job of labeling and packaging that I would not have to touch many of the individual packets. Boy was I wrong!! For many reasons that is simply not the case.

Happy evening,
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi all!

So sorry to hear that Alana! Is there something we could have done differently in packing to make it easier? (Just thinking ahead for the next time)

vina

• jodie74
    13 years ago

I'd be curious to know too what we can do to make it easier on Alana & other future hosts/hostess's........
    Jodie

• Angela
    13 years ago

I thought the instructions were very clear and the packing methods given should have worked out excellently. :( Dang humans...

• Angela
    13 years ago

With the way the day is going so far I just want to clarify that that was NOT directed at Alana in any way, and shouldn't have posted in a bad temper. :( :(

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    alana just wants to be sure that everyone gets back the same number they sent, some people might send in lots and not that many sent in for them. or if 10 people send someone the same seed she devids them out.
    one time when I did a wish list swap I sent everyone just the seeds sent in for them, everyone know that they may not get back what they sent in, but there was accualy no one that got too much less than they sent, but there was no quarentees on the seeds you got back.

Alana is there going to be a left over list we can pick seeds from? thanks so much for all the work I'm hoping in a few months I will have things settled enough to host a swap again.

happy gardening everyone
    michelle

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

I agree with Michelle. I don't think it's an issue of people not packaging seeds properly. It's more of an issue of trying to give people the same amount that they sent in. Even if by some miracle, exactly the same number of packets were sent in for that person, as what they contributed, they might end up with 20 packets of marigolds, or 30 packet of garlic chives. Then, Alana would put some of those in the duplicates pile, and try to find other items on their wishlist, that were duplicates sent in for someone else. Hope this makes sense : )

Or, say someone sent in 150 packets, and only 50 were sent in earmarked for them. Then Alana has to find 100 packets from all the duplicates sent in, that are close to the items on that person's wishlist, to make up the deficit.

Hosting a swap of this type can be very complicated, and Alana, as a person that's hosted quite a few swaps myself, I appreciate all of your hard work! You rock!!!

Bonnie

• just1morehosta
    13 years ago

I am always amazed when someone says they will host this swap,I have never done it, but just the thought of all that you have to do, seems over whelming to me.I wouldn't even know where to begin.
    Sorry Alana, you are having a hard time,I am in no hurry for my seed,so take your time,and thank you once again.
    cAROL

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    13 years ago

Yes, I have always been amazed at the hostesses, as well. Just counting packets would be one thing, but avoiding duplicates makes it a big BIG job. I am also in no hurry. I have load of seeds I still haven't WS, so no hurry for my packet. Do other people first!

We certainly do appreciate you, Alana!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was not complaining, just making the observation that this is quite a bit more complicated than the straight seed swaps I have hosted. You guys have done a fine job of packaging and labeling but even though all but a few of you have indicated you would not mind duplicates, I don't think anyone want 16 packs of dill or 12 packs of garlic chives. At least I am assuming that to be the case. And yes there is often a big disparity in how many a person sends in and how many are sent in for them, but Patty was right-it works out.
    We are still waiting on a few packages but I have done all of the preliminary sorting and am working on getting the numbers close to right while I wait to fill in with what is still out there.

Today I got packages from molly_and_me and barefootgardener12.

Have a good weekend!
    Alana

• molly_and_me
    13 years ago

Hi, Alana, Thank you so much for hosting this swap. I cannot imagine the work involved. If you can list a few suggestions of things that we can do to help the hostess in the future please post them for us.

I did not include a note that duplicates are OK but I did post that comment here a few weeks ago. Even though this is a want list swap I do not mind getting things that are not on my list. I have found that things I would never consider planting are very desirable to other gardeners.

I have found something better than receiving seeds and that is giving seeds, especially ones that people really want. I love this kind of swap and do not worry about what I will get back.

I am not in a hurry to receive my seeds. Please take your time.

Thanks again for hosting.

Margaret

• jodie74
    13 years ago

I can ONLY imagine the sort of work involved in hosting! Me being a newbie was really just asking so I can be sure I am doing MY end of things right to make it EASIER on the hostess!!

Alana-my motto is "You get what you get & you DON'T get upset!!" This is from one of my preschoolers NickJr cartoons! LOL

THANK YOU FOR HOSTING!!!
    Jodie

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Alana,

I sent in 250 packets of seeds and know I will only get credit for 150. Please if all you have to send to make up my 150 is hollyhock,veggies or herbs....pass them on to someone else. I wont use them and would rather have them sent to someone who will! Hopefully, this wont come off as nasty! I just won't use them and it would be a waste...

I would be happy to get 50 packs back. I have enough seeds to keep me busy for the next few years.Oh, and I don't mind doubles of things from my list.

I hope this helps!

Lisa

• jaynine
    13 years ago

Ditto what Lisa said.
    Thanks, Alana.

• Angela
    13 years ago

I'll be happy to take doubles, triples, and all the extra Gaillardia and Calendula that'll fit in the box! Seed stash empty... must... winter... sow... LOL

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Jodie, at my kids' school it was "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit!" Love that, and use it all the time, LOL!

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love it, Bonnie! I am going to use that myself!

It really ain't so bad as it sounds. I have been obsessing about not being able to give everyone everything they want and I have had to get over it, lol.
    I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel and I am pretty sure it's not a train. I think it is the window that was blocked by seed packages re-emerging as I move them along my makeshift assembly line. I actually have about half of them ready. All I will have to do is remove any of my fill in selections and replace them with the ones that have yet to arrive if they are different ones from the lists.

Keeping in mind that you may get your own seeds back if you don't have your name on them, there are some definite left overs that can be claimed. They won't count toward your number of packets. If you had these on your list you probably have them in your packet already, but in a few cases that may not be true. For instance, if you sent in 30 packs and others sent 75 packs for you I will have picked the ones that most exactly fit your list or that I think are less common. The most common selections may not have made the cut.
    Please post your requests here.

There are at least 5 extra of each of these to be claimed.
    Rudbeckia hirta
    Larkspur, blue
    Dill
    Dianthus Siberian Blues
    Lobelia cardinalis
    Cypress Vine, Red

There are also 2 packs of Bottle Gentian for the first two posters.

I will post more as I work through the packages.

Today, angelady's seeds arrived. I think I am just waiting for ibartoo and kilngod, but I will have to double check that later.

Today is my best friends birthday and we are going out.

Have a good evening,
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Hi Alana!
    So glad to hear that you can see a light...any light is good at this point.

I would love to try the bottle gentian seeds.

Thank you so much for all your hard work! And wish your BFF a happy birthday :)

Have a great night!
    vina

• Angela
    13 years ago

I would like to try the Dianthus... Thanks Alana! :)

• columbine21
    13 years ago

I would also like some dianthus. Thanks, Alana, for all your hard work! I have noted that I would prefer no doubles, but I want you to know there is wiggle room:)
    Don't work too hard!

Rebekah

• suecirish
    13 years ago

I'll take a pack of Bottle Gentian if there is still any available. Thanks!

• jodie74
    13 years ago

I would love some dianthus too!!

Thanks Alana!
    Jodie

• molly_and_me
    13 years ago

I would like to try:

Rudbeckia hirta
    Larkspur
    Dianthus

Thanks, Margaret

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    I will take extra rudbekia, dill, and larkspure if there is any left
    thanks
    michelle

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Looks like there may be one more packet of the dianthus left. I would like it if it is still free.

Thanks for all your work.

• jas_il
    13 years ago

I would like these if still available.

Rudbekia hirta
    Dianthus Siberian Blues
    Lobelia cardinalis

Thanks
    Jasmine

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Noted. I can accomodate those requests.
    There are at least 3-4 each of these extras if anyone wants them:
    Mixed or noid Morning Glories
    White Sweet Alyssum
    Mixed or noid Zinnia
    Lablab purpureus, Purple Hyacinth Bean
    Mixed or noid Ricinus communis, Castor Bean

Happy Monday,
    Alana

• flowergirl34
    13 years ago

Morning everyone!
    Alana, I would love to try the Hyacinth Bean Vine.

Thanks so much and Happy Sorting! :)
    vina

• Michelle Reynolds
    13 years ago

hello
    zinnias please
    thank you
    michelle

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    13 years ago

Good morning everyone !

Hi Alana, if there are any left I would love some of the zinnias and castor bean seeds ! Hope everyone is keeping warm ... it was 9 this morning ... brrrr ... my son is visiting and my parents will be here next week ... I haven't seen them in 2 years, will be so nice to have them here with me .

Iris

• velsgarden
    13 years ago

Hi Alana,if there is any left,I would like some castor beans.Thanks,Velvet

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    13 years ago

Alana,

i would like some castor bean seeds if there are enough to go around!

Lisa

• jas_il
    13 years ago

Alana,

I would like
    White Sweet Alyssum
    Castor Bean
    noid Zinnia

Thanks
    Jasmine

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Done. I may post a few more in a day or two.
    We are waiting on sgaunzon and ibartoo and kilngod.
    squanzon and kilngod have confirmed.
    Alana

• kilngod
    13 years ago

Mine arrived to you today, yippee! And I'm sorry I was late. naughty naughty naughty.

I included some extras that seemed not-too-too-common, not-so-rare, but I-had-a-bunch and they should be decent interesting filler.

I also included a good filler list that you can use on me -- lots of the common stuff. Thought that would help! I pass those around to friends here in town and such. No need to hit the 150 on me. Whatever works, but I don't mind 40 random columbines, or 20 kinds of rudbeckias either.

:)

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I got kilngod's seeds yesterday and yes, that filler list is very, very helpful. I will remember that in future swaps. A couple of other traders did that as well and it makes it so much easier when trying to fill in. As long as the list of preferred fill-ins is not too specific it really helps me select additional seeds.
    sguanzon's seeds are en route. I am emailing ibartoo today to confirm hers are also on the way. I had hoped to mail out seeds this week but I think the late packages will be worth the wait.
    I am away today and tomorrow but maybe that will allow the last two packages to arrive.
    Things are shaping up pretty nicely.
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sue/sguanzon's seeds should be here this weekend. Linda/ibartoo sent hers on January 12 and they have still not arrived. Hopefully they will come this weekend. If not she can send more seeds.
    I have 75% of the packages ready to mail out as soon as we get those 2 envelopes of seeds.
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Updates:
    Sue's seeds did not come as quickly as I anticipated. Surely they will be here today.
    ibartoo/Linda has had an accident and will be unable to resend her seeds. I know we all wish her a speedy recovery and that she is back in the garden soon.
    I am home today but have to be away tomorrow and Thursday. I will finish up the packaging as soon as I have Sue's seeds. If they come this afternoon I will work on it some tonight.
    Barring the unforseen, I will get the first wave of returns out on Saturday and I will start a new thread for acknowledgements so that I can be sure everyone receives.

We have been in the 60's and 70's the last few days but are in for wind and storms tonight and tomorrow. It looks like a mega-snow event is impacting several of you. Be safe.
    Alana

• jodie74
    13 years ago

Thanks Alana for the update.

My prayers for a speedy recovery go out to ibartoo/Linda!!

• Iris ( ranegrow ) z7 Maryland
    13 years ago

Sending good thoughts and healing prayers to Ibartoo/Linda ;-) I will be having my surgery next Monday , I have to stay overnight , possibly 2 nights, please send some thoughts and prayers my way as well ;-) Getting my seeds in the mail next week will be real " seed therapy " for me and I know they will make me feel better ;-) Hope everyone is staying warm and safe thru this latest winter storm .

Iris

• velsgarden
    13 years ago

Prayers out to Linda and Iris.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Iris, I will be thinking of you on Monday. When you feel like it please let us know how you are doing.

sguanzon's seeds are here. I have to leave early tomorrow but if I have time I will drop some of the packages that don't require a visit to the PO in the drop box on my way out and post to the new thread later in the day.
    When I get home Thursday evening I will get another batch ready to go for Saturday. I don't think I will have time for the PO on Friday, but if that changes I will post.
    Have a good evening,
    Alana

• bev2009
    13 years ago

Alana - I got my seeds today and was so excited. There were so many things that weren't on my list, but that I really wanted. I wish I could thank each person individually for the great seeds they sent. Thank you so much for hosting this. You did a great job. However, my wintersown container count just went sky-high!!! Must get busy.

Bev

• shrlieb
    13 years ago

Alana,

Shame on me, I forgot to post I received received my seeds last Friday and I must say they are a very nice collection of seeds and I am very grateful to you and the wonderful gardeners who thought of me and contributed. Thanks everyone and you Alana for all you hard work.

Shirley

• slo_garden
    13 years ago

I got my seeds today. Thank you so much! I got a lot of stuff that I really wanted as well as some really cool things that I hadn't even thought of.