Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs4ever

UPDATE: Secret Santa 2011 games, thanks and more (#4)

flwrs4ever
12 years ago

Please post here when you recieve ..and feel free to share recipes, jokes, your Christmas Tradions.

Thanks to EACH of you for join..and sharing a little JOY this season :)

Comments (143)

• WonderWeasel
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Got 2 more cards on Friday! Thank you to Vina (flowergirl34) for the Japanese Maple seeds, and Darlyn (Rudolph25) for the "Straight 8" cucumber seeds and mixed Hollyhock seeds!

--Jordan

• ruthz
    12 years ago

Got a beautiful winter scene card with JD's Special C-Tex
    tomato from ranegrow/Iris.
    I grew those this year and loved the taste.
    Who knew I was only going to get 1 tomato before our 3 months + of over 100 degree weather and 2 day watering restrictions put an end to all my tomatoes.
    Thank you so much for sharing your seeds.
    Now I can try again.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

~~T ... h ... a ... n... k .......... Y ... o ... u...Paulan70~~
    Received a teddy bear Santa card wishing me an absolutely wonderful holiday season & prosperous New Year that contained a blue bubble wrap pouch of 3 packets of seeds: Rudbeckia hirta, blue cardinal flower, & red cardinal flower. I had a red cardinal flower in the summer of 2010, but our old neighbor's dog broke the stalk in half. It struggled to come back this year, so I'm glad I can try it again. The hummers really liked it & I want to take a pic of them at it. My husband is most interested in the large bright coneflowers, sunflowers & daisy type plants.

Needed that little bit of cheering up after hearing of my uncle's sudden death. I know he's in a better place now, but we'll miss him.

Thanks for the ~~~~Secret Santa~~~~ distraction today as I've looked at the basket of 12 seed packets & 5 cards a few times already. Yes, I'm counting...

If you've not yet sent your cards be careful about the thickness of envelopes & you might want to have your envelopes checked at the post office before mailing. Even though extra postage was added to the envelope it came with .24 due for total of .88 probably because it was too thick with the bubble wrap bundle inside. The double layer pouch of bubble wrap can be skipped I think & just a flap of bubble wrap seems to protect the seeds okay.

• aggiebee
    12 years ago

Just when I thought it was all over for the season, today I received a beautiful, sparkly card from Faye aka nottougly and three packets of seeds -- Royal carpet Alyssum, sunflower and purple Datura. I have never grown Datura before and I am very excited to try.

Thank you so much!!!!

I have hung all my beautiful gardenweb Secret Santa cards on a mobile in our front hall and it looks so festive and lovely.

• redthreaddiy
    12 years ago

Got an awesome card and bunch of seeds today from rosemctier! She sent:

Great White Tomatoes
    Cherokee Purple Tomatoes
    Mule Team Tomatoes
    Xenox Sedum (dark, tall)
    Unknown dark tall sedum

AWESOME! I do not have ANY dark/tall sedum, so I'm sure whatever comes from the seeds will be brand new for me. I am especially excited about the Mole Team tomato - I've never tried that variety! Thanks so much Rose!

• graanieb
    12 years ago

Gotten my most wanted, finally, smile...Giant White Hyssop, thank you so much Faye -Nottougly, HUGS.
    Busy day, put up my little old Fiberoptic tree, refreshed the look of old door wreath -made bows with silvery and red ribbon tape I've saved mostly from daughters' presents, roll them up to get them straight as possible, silvery one is the kind with tiny wire on edges so easily shaped, wrapped battery-operated lights around it , hung 3 silver bells...about to put them and palm's lights on.

Awesome winter pictures and all, love the Christmas spirit in the air, great group.

Bea

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Did you send extra cards ? If so PLEASE send me a list of screen names, so I can finish up the totals ! Thanks to each of you for being SOOO generous and sharing in the SPIRIT of Holidays with everyone here !!

I also want to thank everyone that offered to be a "special elf" I sent a list until the counts were past our goal...SO THANKS to those that helped, and offered !!

I would like to thank:
    graanieb
    ptp813
    flwergirl34
    rudolph25
    smitties
    rqeversle
    cashclan

I truly appreciate all the beautiful cards !! I have to mention what cashcan did...I love the homemade card, I really miss teaching, so it was fun !! I just loved the "peppermint seeds" since I cant garden she sent me peppermint seeds to enjoy which were peppermint candy. Thanks :)

Each card is opened with Joy..thanks again !!

Love all the photos, anyone else want to share their card display ??

~Kym

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    12 years ago

YULE LOG
    COOKIES
    DONKEY

• retsec
    12 years ago

Received a very pretty Season's Greeting card today from nottougly. She included ornamental gourd mix and violet bottlebrush. Thank you so much Fay, I can't wait until spring to get all these seed going. Have a great holiday season.

• katkni
    12 years ago

Thanks to JMT2213 for more from my wanted list, and they were wrapped in festive penguin wrapping paper ;)
    Soybeans - I've had those on backorder somewhere or other for like 2 years now. No more waiting!
    Also - mustard - and two kinds of zinnia! I've never even heard of climbing zinnia.

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

got lychnis, red larkspur, and apricot zinnias from flowergirl34 today :) thank you vina!! i wish the bf would finish painting the stupid living room so i can hang my card garland!! 8 days til solstice :D wheeeeee!

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Today I received a holiday card from rosemctier, who sent Aconitum hemsleyanum, Geranium pyrenaicum 'Alba', Petunia 'Fire Chief' and Geranium versicolor seeds. Thank you, Rose. I feel spoiled!

• jas_il
    12 years ago

More cards for me. Wow!

Darlyn (rudolph25) - sent me pretty glittery Christmas tree card with
    Sweet peas (I grow every year love it)
    Green bell pepper. Love peppers. Thank you so much.

Nancy (NLb52)- sent me nice santa card with
    Salvia salmon. (wow I love Salvia! never grew salmon color and it would be fun). Thank you so much.

rosemctier - sent me pretty candy cane card with 5 packs of seeds. These are:
    Hosta
    Siberian blue Dianthus
    Micro chip dianthus (new for me and pretty)
    Petunia fire chief commercial (love it)
    Drummondi phlox mix. (wow)
    Love them all and can't wait to grow them. Thank you so much.

Thanks again can't wait to grow them!

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

what so rocks about this swap is that a lot of the seeds i am sending people are from plants i grew from seeds people sent me last christmas in this swap! just love that lol

• smitties
    12 years ago

Another nice selection of cards sent to me that came today.

Shirley, thank you for the card and magnet as it was very thoughtful.
    Thank you Wendy for the pepper seeds, nottoughly for the cleome and pepper, and Nancy for the zebra grass.

I can tell you all that visions of gardens are dancing in my head. I have receive so many wonderful seeds that I can't wait to get started. I have decided to do a garden just in peppers since I have received so many varieties. Excited!!!!

Margo

• lexiegurl09
    12 years ago

WOW!!! That's about all I can say. I got a nice surprise in the mail on Monday from 2 people, which made my day!
    David (dirtdaddy)sent me a nice card with a snow scene and cardinals. Inside were Dr. Wyche's yellow tomato seeds, Cascabella hot pepper, tepin hot pepper (which I read is the world's hottest pepper!), Thai bird hot pepper, Deargol hot pepper, Dwarf blue curled scotch kale and a full pack of black-seeded simpson lettuce! All packs had an amazingly generous amount of seed in them, especially the Kale. But the biggest surprise of all in the envelope.......... 16 (yes, 16!!) bunches of egyptian walking onions!!!!!!!!!! That was an absolutely wonderful surprise! And everything arrived in perfect condition. Thank you so much. (PS, can you email me some info about these onions?? I've googled them but haven't gotten a whole bunch of information about them). Thanks again!
    Robert (rqeversole) sent me a beautiful snow scene christmas card with a horse drawn sleigh, house and snowman on the front. Attached were gorgeously made seed packets (love the snowflake holding them closed (can't think of what it's called) and the snowflake in the baggie!) with italian tomato, fish peppers, and golden sunray tomato! Generous amounts in each pack also! Thank you so much!
    To everyone that has sent me seeds, I appreciate it and thank you for making my first secret santa seed swap a wonderful experience! I look forward to all the new varities of everything I get to plant this spring!
    Also, check out the veggie forum to see pics of my current garden.... I'm soooo proud and excited! It's going much better than my summer garden lol. Thanks!!!!

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Received two more wonderful cards with seeds yesterday,...

From poisondartfrog (Alana) - A totally kewl snow cat (stylized, painted rendering of small, cutesy, cat-shaped snow sculptures) card, with a quite generous amount of White Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) seeds. Mega "Thanks," Alana! Not only tall and pretty, but medicinal as well! Yeah!

From rane_grow (Iris) - A glittery, sparkly, snowy-scene card featuring beautifully painted realistic trees and a foot bridge, with particularly generous amounts of the following tomato seeds...Sausage and True Black Brandywine! Woot!! Once again, the SSSS totally rocks the house, as it has from the beginning! Love the seeds, and especially the cards-n-sentiments! Said it before, and I'll say it again, y'all are the best!!

• rqeversole
    12 years ago

It's the simple things in life, huh? Two more cards from 2 more wonderful ladies!
    Rose sent me an awesome card with 5 generous packs of seed! They were:
    Bishops Crown Pepper
    Hendersons Pink Ponderosa Tomato
    Mule Team Tomato
    Cream Sausage Tomato
    Endive
    Thank you so much for the new varieties to add to my collection!!
    Puffy, a frequent tradin' buddy sent me my favorite card so far! A simple, beautiful, rustic ECO card. Inside was a nice pack of Cascabella Peppers!
    It's like you guys are inside my head and know exactly what I want lol! I am going to be so sad when Secret Santa is over!! Now I see why people get involved with Round Robins that Are every month!

Robert

• habitat_gardener
    12 years ago

More delightful cards and seeds! Thanks so much to poisondartfrog for 2 tomatoes, including one from my most-wanted list!

And thanks also to smitties for carrot seeds. I love those smaller ones!

I think different postal clerks interpret the rules differently! I mailed a non-RR package the other day and the postal clerk looked at me funny when I said it contained seeds. She wanted to charge for a "parcel" rather than for a "letter" because she said it wasn't bendable enough (because it had a card inside!). I told her I'd sent a lot of seeds before and she grudgingly said ok to .64 rather than 1.71.

• SalsaCanner
    12 years ago

I received a couple of great new Christmas cards in the last couple of days!

Thanks Dave, (dirt daddy) for the large assortment of seeds. kale, dill, peppers, lettuce, peas and Egyptian walking onions. I have a garden spot already picked out for the onions.
    Robert(rqeversole), Thanks for the heirloom tomatoes and peppers. These are going to be a great addtition to the garden.

Thanks again for the cards and seeds and have a Merry Christmas!
    Ed (SalsaCanner)

• apoppyfield
    12 years ago

Thank you tpt813 for the red butterfly bush & sensation rose salvia. Can't wait to grow them!! Also smitties for the poppies and corriander!

• redthreaddiy
    12 years ago

habitat_gardener - they DO interpret rules differently based upon what you tell them. It's crazy! This one lady charged me $1.71, and then for the same packaging, another charged me $0.64. hmm... something fishy there!

How cool that dirtdaddy sent Egyptian Walking Onions!!!

• pumkingal
    12 years ago

Hi all yippie 3 more wonderful cards;;;My mail man said you are having a ball with all of this,, I said it is the best time of the year for me,,
    Big hugs to;;;flowergirl-vina crazy daisy's--columbine--gerber daisy,, love um thank you

Big hugs to onedaylily--malva zebrina--liatris white--cleome,,,love um thank you

Big hugs to;;;nottougly--crazy daisy--lion's tail...
    love um thank you

This is just the warmest most wonderful swap ever,, thank you all,,,Lisa

• tl.graham
    12 years ago

I received so many cards today!! My daughter has now gotten into and would not let me open one of them. she did them all herself. She wants to go out and garden today. Because its' "warm" lol, its 56 today! Let me get my stuff together and I will post again with thank yous!

• lily55rjw
    12 years ago

I got more cards!!!

FLOWERGIRL34 - Thank you for the yarrow!!

NOTTOUGLY - Thank you for the yarrow and forget me nots!!

ONEDAYLILY - Thank you for the snapdragons, 4:00's, and nicotiana!!

Thank you all for the nice cards too!!

LILY55RJW

• graanieb
    12 years ago

It's early in the morning, more cards need to go out, soon...was so rushing yesterday forgot to thank you Faye ( Nottougly) for the very pretty and festive card and Asiatic lilies seeds, guess getting my most wanted gotten me carried away,lol
    Very Merry Christmas to all.
    Bea

• tl.graham
    12 years ago

Many thanks and hugs to:

pumkingal for the green bell pepper, lemon grass, pretty rose milkweed, hydrangea (pinky winky?) Thank you so much!

lexiegurl for the red cabbage, ever green bunching onions, sugar snap peas, sweet spanish yellow onion, and bibb lettuce. Thank, my mouth is already watering with thoughts of salads.

nottougly for the jobs tears and garlic chives. I am so excited the jobs tears! do the chives really taste like garlic?

sassybutterfly for the winter thyme and pepper cornodi toro giallo

flowergirl134 for the apple gourd and crenshaw melon

Ilovefarac for the tomato san marzano and the tomato mariglobe.

I am so excited and appreciate everyone who has sent me seeds. I know I will have the best garden ever 2012!! My mouth is watering and my tummy rumbling with thoughts of so much good food!
    Thank you!!

• Melinda Hagen
    12 years ago

A big thank you to Rose--she sent a lovely card with these seeds-sanfrancisco fog tomato, black russian tomato, purple calabash tomato, cosmos picotee and reddish orange poppies!! I am thrilled with them all and can't wait to grow! Thanks so very much! Melinda

• molly_and_me
    12 years ago

rqeversole sent me the most beautiful Robert Kindade card. Robert, the note you wrote on the card lifted my spirits and brightened my day. You made this silver-haired grandma feel very special. Thank you.

paulan70 sent a jolly Santa Clause card, cosmos mix - one of my all time favorite flowers, and both single and double profusion zinnias, my most wanted seeds. Thank you, Paula.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

A very merry Christmas and many thanks to:

canyonwind, for rose campion and rose queen cleome;

ilovefarac, for yellow figleaf hollyhock;

flowergirl34, for pink and white cleome, canterbury bells, and yellow esperanza; and

onedaylily, for golden jubilee agastache (wow!), caryopteris, and violet queen cleome.

Ho, ho, ho, a wintersowing I will go!

Lois in PA

• redthreaddiy
    12 years ago

2 cards today :)

pumkingal sent a glittered angel card with Black Eyed Susans and Gloriosa Daisies. I always thought those two were the same thing, but I'm thinking that I'll get different varieties from them! The gloriosa daisies were packaged really cool - the seeds are in a star shape. Neat! Thanks!!!

flowergirl34 sent a snowman and penguin card with Poppy 'Orange Sherbert' and Sunflower 'Evening Sun' seeds. Orange Sherbert sounds so yummy! The sunflowers look GORGEOUS. Thanks so much!!!

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

i too got a lovely card and seeds from pumkingal today--ruby lettuce, gloriosa daisy, yellow primrose and freaky tom pumpkin1 i have never seen a large warty pumpkin and can't wait to try them:) many many thanks!

• debby_1
    12 years ago

I'm way behind on thanks. This has been an excellent week. I get suprised every time I check the mail. I will miss this when it's over.

Yotetrapper - Angela, sent Anna Russian, German Johnson, Northern Lights, and organic Beefsteak tomatoes. Thank you very much.

Flowergirl34 - Vina, sent coreopsis "Full Moon", Shasta "Silver princess, and Rudbeckia "Indian Summer". I love all of these.

Pumpkingal - Lisa, sent Blue seaholly, (yea), fancy poppies, zinnia mix, pink bleeding heart, and bok choi. Thank you.

Ruthz - Ruth sent salvia "lady in Red", Red Marble Cippolini Onio, and Tomato " Japanese Black Trifele"

Paulan70 - Paula, sent Purple wave petunia, delicious tomato, Giant red cherry tomato. Can't wait to try the petunias.

Hibiscusfan - Suzanne sent Scabiosa. Thank you.

Lexiegurl - Dawn, sent Evergreen bunching onions, red cabbage, Romaine lettuce, Copenhagen Market cabbage, Sweet spanish yellow onion, & wild blue lupin. We try to plant extra in the garden for the Meals on Wheels program, with all of the differnt veggies I'm receiving, hopefully we can donate more in 2012. Thanks.

Nancy sent coleus, I really love these.

Rose sent Coral petunia, Portulaca mix, wallone endive, fire chief petunia, and cherokee purple tomato. Thank you very much.

Sassybutterfly sent snapdragons, & Portulaca.

Thank you very much everyone. I will enjoy each and every seed I've recieved.

Debby

• herbal
    12 years ago

Thank you nottougly for the seeds. I'm eager for spring!

• amoeba-meba
    12 years ago

A card full of seeds today!

Big thank you to SassyButterfly!
    Wendy sent me Morning Glory 'Flying Saucers' (Very cool!) and Morning Glory Mix (How delightfully mysterious - pink? Blue? White? Guess I'll have to sow to find out!)

Thanks!

• cashclan
    12 years ago

WOOHOO, I was dancing out of the Post Office today. I'm a teetotaler but I think they are beginning to think I'm DRUNK all the time. hahaha, I have so much fun!!!
    I received some BEAUTIFUL cards today!!!!
    From....
    Nottougly:
    I received a lovely card with Pine branches and pine-cones on it and INSIDE were ...Anise Hyssop Blue fortune seeds (which I don't have so am looking forward to starting).....
    and,,,Amaranthus Autumn Palette, WOOHOO Can't wait to get them startd!!! thank you so much!!!!

Poisondartfrog:
    I receivd the gooffiestlooking Polar Bear, he is WAY TOO cute!!! and a whole unopened package of Sedum for a Rock garden, WOOHOO, I LOVE sedum!!!! Oh yes I'm dancing, I'm dancing, Thank you so MUCH!!!!

Puffy:
    A Beautiful Merry christmas Card with AMARANTHS ILLUMINATION seeds inside, What a SURPRISE, I've been wanting some of those for a L...O...N...G time. Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

flowergirl34:
    the cutest Western Santa Howdy card with,,,Yippee!! Pink grapefruit Yarrow, Can't wait I've never even heard of this color but it certainly sounds like something I'm gonna LOVE...and...Clematis Jackamaini!!! YIPPEE, this is my FIRST Clematis

Thank you EVERYONE....I'm off to R&R now.

Merry Christmas
    Sharon

• ruthz
    12 years ago

Beautiful cards and seeds today from,
    pumkingal sent coral pink zinnias, black eyed susan shrub & gloriosa daisy
    sassybutterfly sent Mulberry Rose nigella
    All good for cutting garden.
    Big Thanks to both of you and
    Merry Christmas

• graanieb
    12 years ago

1 card today, awesome, seeds of Salvia Splendens -imagine red? and Salvia patens- true blue? THANK YOU RUTH.

HUGS and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

'

• alwaysagarden
    12 years ago

Here is the list of seeds I received about a week and a half ago from some very generous gardeners. Just now getting the time to post them.

dem-pa (Don) sent a huge selection!
    Poppy red/orange
    Laurens grape poppy Can't wait to try these!
    Golden Summer Crookneck Squash
    Kniola's Black Morning Glory
    Golden Sweet Snow Peas
    Penstemon Hirsutus, I love Penstemon!
    Thank you Don, you spoiled me lol

Salsa canner (Ed)
    Tomato Beefsteak... yum!
    Large Red Cherry
    Yellow Black Eyed Susan
    Cosmos Single Sensation love these!
    Thank you so much Ed!

ishareflowers (Lisa)
    Tri color Snapdragons (salmon and yellow)
    Cosmos Yellow, can't wait to try these!
    Thank you Lisa!

Debby_1
    Dwarf Hollyhocks
    Dwarf Snapdragons (yellow and white)
    I love both of these, thanks Debby!

amberroses (Amber)
    Scallop Squash... yum
    Black Tomato
    Giant Belgium Tomato
    Snow White Cherry... never tried these!
    Marek's pointy heart tomato
    Thank you Amber, such an assortment!!

jaynine (Janine)
    Cornflower Black Gem... woo hoo a favorite!
    Fig Hollyhock Happy Lights
    Toadflax, peach
    Once again lovin all of these! Thank you Janine :))

Missed the sign up for this swap last year, so glad I didn't this year, so much fun!!

Cindy

• jaynine
    12 years ago

Two more came today:
    nottougly/Faye sent a cool card containing Eucalyptus & Dwarf French Marigolds seeds and from ruthz California Wonder Orange Sweet Pepper, Black Cherry Tomato & Sun Gold Cherry Tomato seeds within a very touching card. Thanks to both of you~I love everything.

• ruthz
    12 years ago

Bea, sorry I must have forgotten to put the entire name on the seed packs.
    Both are blue.
    Salvia splendens Blue Ribbon
    Gentian Sage salvia patens

• apoppyfield
    12 years ago

Amazing, they just keep coming.

Heidi in NE sent a colorful display of bachelore button, alyssum, dianthus, coreopsis.
    Sassybutterfly sent two new red lettuces: Outredgeous and New fire red!
    Pumpkingal sent a poppy mix, butter crunch lettuce, bell grew peppers, ruby lettuce and catnip.

I love these all!! Thanks so much everyone. A

• browneyedsusan_gw
    12 years ago

Many thanks to Nottoughly for the columbine mix and lovely card!
    Susan

• retsec
    12 years ago

Today I got a Disney card with Don't Open Till Xmas on it, I couldn't wait. It was yellow pear tomato and white bleeding heart seed from smithes/Margo. Also got a pretty homemade card from micyrey/Michelle. It had daylily, orange/black in it. Thanks to both of you. Hope you have a great holiday season.

• katkni
    12 years ago

More cards today! But SHOOT! I didn't keep the seeds and cards together, so I've got to try and sort out handwriting to give the right person thanks for the correct seeds.

xiangirl i LOVE the printed seed envelopes. What a great idea. I want to know, is there a template for this in Word? Thanks much for the coreopsis, gallardia and cosmos.

• katkni
    12 years ago

Oh man, I tried I really did, but I can't match up handwriting to sender. but I am pretty sure I know which came together. So, rosemctier, nlb52, and nottoughly I am loving this collection of seeds:

Two kinds of marigold!
    white globe amaranth
    picotee cosmos - can't wait to see this one!
    borage
    sensitive plant - this was another unexpected bonus from my wish list!
    yellow and orange cosmos
    and my first packet of coleus, which I love and grow indoors as well.
    I'm sorry I can't credit each of you with the right seeds, but that's how excited I was. Like a kid on Christmas morning. LOL I'll be better tomorrow.

• flwrs4ever
    Original Author
    12 years ago

CHIMNEY
    PINE

• rbrady
    12 years ago

I was surprised again today with some more beautiful cards and seeds!

ilovefarac sent me Perilla frutescens
    flowergirl134 sent me Collinsai grandiflora (Blue eyed Mary), Sweet William magenta, and Rose Mallow pink
    dem-pa sent me 2 packs of red/purple perilla
    puffie sent me Lobelia cardinalis

Thanks for all of the wonderful seeds and cards, I can't wait to plant them, some I have never tried and looking forward to them.

Rhonda

• gardendad_2k10
    12 years ago

Micyrey and Yotetrapper - did you receive my card and seeds? I might have missed your thank you's. Please let me know.

In the past couple days, I got 4 cards! Holy COW!

Smitties sent Yellow Primrose and Scabiosa Butterfly Blue.

Flowergirl34 sent Pink/Purple Cleome, Amaranthus Autumn's Touch, Chinese Houses Lavender, centaurea rose pink and farewell to spring.

Pumkingal sent Easter egg plant, amaranthus hot biscuits Pinky Winky Hydrangea and Amaranthus Princes Feather.

Nottougly sent mixed pink hibiscus seeds with a nice glitter NOEL card.

WOW I can't thank you all enough. I can't wait to look up all of these seeds. It sounds like you sent me a lot of interesting ones, which I like. Thank you all for being so generous this Christmas season.

• redthreaddiy
    12 years ago

Looks like there is a Thread 5! The link is below

Here is a link that might be useful: Thank You Thread 5