Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

IE and IH New Events and UpdatesThread 2009-2010

bonechickchris
14 years ago

HI Guys!

I know I should have posted this earlier, but you know how it is! LOL!

I just wanted to start a new thread for the new year instead of dragging along those olds one. Here, you can check on the calendar, new events, ideas, updates, changes, etc.

This year, Becky and I have decided to post a quarter of a year at a time, this way we do not end up with a bunch of bogus ideas towards the end of the year, and it also leaves open some time and space for new ideas and changes.

We have also decided to make Incredible Heirlooms quarterly instead of every month, so the turn out will hopefully be better and everyone does not have to feel obligated to join both IE and IH, 2 swaps, every month! Plus, you can still include heirlooms with your IE trades, so it is not like we are losing anything!

There will also be our several side swaps through out the year, including more single themed swaps like our bean swap and tomato swap. We will be having a pepper swap, herb swap, squash swap, etc. through out the year as side swaps.

Here is the IE/IH calendar for the first quarter of 2010.

Incredible Edibles 2010

JANUARY~ NEW CATALOG FRENZY! For all of us new catalog addicts! In this swap, we buy and share seeds that we order from the new catalogs!Requests, new varieties for 2010, etc.

I know we have had this idea for January for months now on our other thread, but it seems that someone else has used a similar idea to start their own swap. This is different than that swap.

JANUARY FIRST QUARTER IH~ ALL Tomato Seed Swap!

SIDE SWAP! BEcky's Clean-Out The Seed Box Swap coming soon,,,,

FEBRUARY~ CONTAINER GARDENING! Swapping all container and compact variety seeds only!

MARCH~ SPRING FLING! Just like out last Spring Fling, we swap seeds the colors, names, and themes of Spring, Easter and St. Patrick's Day! We also make a little Easter basket for our parter! Wether you use a real basket, or just dress up your mailing box with some grass and jelly beans, it will be a really fun way to celebrate the season!

APRIL~ BIG AND SMALL! He we are swapping seeds of both extremes! Varieties that are especially tiny or huge for that particular seed type, etc.

I am sure I am forgetting something, but I just wanted to get this posted since we are nearing the end of 2009. Although we have a rough sketch of what the rest of the year's swaps will be, please keep posting any ideas that you have here on this thread!

Thanks guys! Christy

Comments (46)

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Fantastic!! I am so looking forward to the all Tomato swap...and I loved the clean out your seeds swap too! I have also been looking forward to the Biggest/Smallest swap....I don't know why that one tickles my funny bone so much!

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

I hosted the Spring Fling swap last year, and had so much fun picking out items for that one! It was great getting my own Easter basket, and not having to steal chocolate out of the kids baskets, LOL!

The Tomato Swap was a great one too! I've acquired so many this past year, that my wishlist is pretty small now...

The container gardening idea is a great one for folks like me with limited space, and you know I'm on board for the pepper swap too. Lots of great ideas for the upcoming year! Great job Christy and Becky!!!

Bonnie

• booberry85
    14 years ago

The Seed Clean Out swap is posted. Hurray!

Speaking of new catalogs, I received my Baker's Creek catalog yesterday. I went through it yesterday like a kid in a candy store. "I want this...and I want that! Ooohh! What's that? That's new! I want that too!" LOL!

If there are swaps that you would like to host, please let Christy or me know.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bonnie, would you like to host the Spring one again? I know you have had such bad luck hosting the past other swaps, but I know this one is always a goodie so no worries! And we have you down for the Pepper swap too :)

Donna, since Big and Small was your idea, would you like first call to host it?
    Christy

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hey now, Christy, don't jinx me by telling me I have bad luck! Both of the IE and IH swaps I hosted in the spring were great, and so was the color of the month swap I did this summer. The timing on that last one was just too close to some other big swaps. People can only do so many at one time. There was one month where I think I was in 6 different swaps, and I just about went insane, so now I try to limit myself to 2 or 3 per month. Well, at least that's what I say now. I may change my tune when the spring gardening season starts up, LOL.

So, sure, put me down for the Spring Fling. Any idea what month the pepper swap might be in? June and September are really busy months for our family, so any but those would be fine for me.

Bonnie

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bonnie, I did not mean it in a bad way! I just felt bad for you because I know some things happened with the other swaps and I wanted to make sure you have a good and popular one to host. Please don't think I thought it was you that was the bad luck!

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Cool I would love to host the Biggest /Smallest swap!!

And is it just me...or are the catalogs just not coming in an abundance this year. I think I received a Thompson Morgan and one other catalog about 2 months ago...but nothing since :( and I was really looking forward to the Bakers Creek catalog too. Maybe I am just rushing it....LOL!!

Donna

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Bump! Would anyone like to host the Container Crop Swap for February?

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

I also received my Baker's catalog and I too want one of everything except egg plant, rutabagas & turnips. They have quite a variety. I have received between 10 - 15 catalog's but the Baker catalog is the best one so far for vegetable's.
    Ellie

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

It looks like it is almost time for the next swap....Everyone who loves veggies should give an Incredible Edibles swap a try(especially the April Biggest/Smallest swap :-D). These are a great bunch of swappers!!

SunnyK
    Donna

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hi Donna! I will try and get a sign up thread posted by the end of the week for the Spring Fling Swap. That way everyone will have plenty of time to sign up, and start collecting little goodies for their partner. It was one of my favorite swaps last year!

Bonnie

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I missed this one (Spring Fling) last year and was sorry I did. I'll be looking for the sign up.
    :)

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I am bumping this up in hopes of remembering to post the new swap next week.

:)
    Donna

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hey, speaking of swaps, what month did you decide to do the Pepper Swap?

Bonnie

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Don't panic!!!

Christy & I are working on the schedule of events for the next few months. If you have some ideas, now is the time to post!

We're also looking for people to host some swaps.

Happy Gardening Everyone!

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

Maybe in October we can do an All Pumpkin/Winter Squash swap similar to the All Pepper or All Tomato swaps. :)

Donna

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Here's a tentative schedule. I have not heard back from Christy about it. I think we could both use some help in keeping the swap group going. Christy continues to be plagued with illnesses, floods, snow, domestic repairs etc.

I'm also working crazy hours (14+ hours a day). Saturdays & sundays included. It's an exciting and scary time. The DH and I are expanding our business in a busy time. I think Christy & I are both a little overwhelmed by life right now. So help for both of us would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, here's a tentative schedule.

May: Melons, Cucumbers & Squashes (group)
    June: Herbs & Edible Flowers (group)
    June: Favorite Colors (partner)
    July: Weird Odd & Unusual (partner)
    August: Root Vegetables (groups)
    August: Salsas, Sauces & Soups (partner)
    September: Beans (group)
    October: Mediterranean Swap (but maybe do this as an invite only RR)
    October: Pumpkins, Squashes & Gourds (group)

The group swaps seem to be more popular than the partnered ones. So we scaled down the partnered swaps. Does anyone have a problem with having squashes be part of a swap twice? Anyway, these are thoughts I was tossing around. Please let me know what you think.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Hi Becky!

Sounds like a pretty good schedule to me! I'd be happy to host one or two swaps, but let me finish up this pepper swap before I commit. Also, I know I'm hosting the Color of the Month swap for July (Red), so I probably wouldn't volunteer for that month's I.E. swap.

On the squash, maybe have summer squash in the cucumber/melon swap, and winter squash in the pumpkin/gourd swap?

Bonnie

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I agree with Bonnie...Summer Squash for one....and Winter Squash for the other :)

I have never done a group swap before, but I will throw my hat in for the August Root Group....and if all goes well I might do the Pumpkin/Squash group as well...if no one else wants those :)

Donna

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry Becky, didn't I send you back an email agreeing with you?

You are handling everything great! Becky has been doing a much more responsible job that I lately.

I think it is all good! Christy

• sandlapper_rose
    14 years ago

Wasn't there a topic suggested here before about school subjects and school related words or one that related to geography? Maybe not. Anyway, I think that never took place and I would be interested in participating in something like that if others are.
    The other theme that crossed my mind was Native Americans - either what they grew or plant names that relate to them.
    So, for whatever it's worth, I'll toss those ideas along.
    I think this group has plenty of great ideas so it's not at all the reason I don't swap here too often. I just don't have much space for veggies and have accumulated enough seeds to plant the area that I have available. If I had a big area free of tree roots that was in the sun, I would be a regular!
    Regardless, I have to swap every now and then for fun.
    Jeanne

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I too, like the idea of the idea of the summer squashes for the first and winter squashes for the .

Jeanne, I generally do a precursoray look at swaps and seed possibilities before we post them. I did look for some seeds that would fit the swap and think we would have a tough time for a "School Daze" theme. I think that's why we dropped it last year. I had an idea called Celebrate the States where we would have edibles named after states, cities or regions in the US (New Yorker Tomatoes, Georgia Collards, California Wonder peppers, Kentucky wonder beans, etc). Do people think this would be fun for a July group swap?

I love the idea of a Native American theme though I think we'd need to put it in November so it doesn't conflict with the bean swap or Pumpkins, Winter Squashes & Gourds.

May: Melons, Cucumbers & Summer Squashes (group)
    August: Root Vegetables (group)
    November: Native American (group)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I think we'll run with this. I'll keep the " School, States and Childhood Classmates" theme on the back burner for right now. If people are interested in this theme please let me know.

If you're interested in hosting a swap let me know. Christy has been hosting the weird, Odd & Unusual and the Bean swap. Do still want to host these Christy

May: Melons, Cucumbers & Summer Squashes (group)
    August: Root Vegetables (group)
    November: Native American (group)

• booberry85
    14 years ago

ANYONE???

I won't mind starting May's swap but I won't be able to start it until May. I'll be on vacation (my first one in 6 years!) for a few days next week.

• highalttransplant
    14 years ago

Becky, I'm still up to my eyeballs in pepper seeds, so I will pass on hosting the Melons & Cukes swap in May. Those group swaps are time consuming to host, and I will need a break after this one. I'll most likely join in the fun though. I'm thinking maybe I could do the Salsas, Sauces, and Soups swap for August.

Bonnie

• sunnyk
    14 years ago

I mentioned a few posts back that I would be interested in doing the August Root Veggie (Group)....and since that would be my first, if all went well, then the October Pumpkin/Winter Squash (Group)

And I like the Native American idea....not so much the School one(but I was never really fond of school anyways LOL)

Donna

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Thanks for stepping up Bonnie & Donna! I'm up to my eyeballs in trying to get a lab started on top of my regular work. My head is spinning right now.

Becky May: Melons, Cucumbers & Summer Squashes (group)
    ***** June: Herbs & Edible Flowers (group)
    ***** June: Favorite Colors (partner)
    ***** July: Weird Odd & Unusual (partner)
    Donna August: Root Vegetables (group)
    Bonnie August: Salsas, Sauces & Soups (partner)
    ***** September: Beans (group)
    Becky October: Mediterranean Swap (but maybe do this as an invite only RR)
    Donna October: Pumpkins, Squashes & Gourds (group)
    ***** November: Native American (group)

• jmt2213
    13 years ago

I would love to host one of the group swaps. I'm not sure if this group operates like some of the others with an official membership list, but if you are open to someone new/outside the group hosting I would be happy to do either the June Herbs and edible flower swap or the September bean swap.

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Hello jmt2213,

Welcome to incredible edibles! If you'd like to host the herbs & edible flowers swap that would be great! Christy, started the Bean swap, so I'd like to give her first dibs on that.

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Jmy2213, I emailed you a while ago (1 week or two ago) regarding the Herb & Edible Flowers swap. Did you get it? Are you still interested in hosting it?

• jmt2213
    13 years ago

Becky - I did not get the email, but I am still interested in hosting the herbs and edible flowers swap. I'll send you an email now so you can reply to it and I'll for sure get it.

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Sent you an email!

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Bump! Christy, Hope you're ok. I hope you're still following the swaps.

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Hello everyone! I've tried contacting Christy about the Bean Swap coming up in September, but she hasn't gotten back to me. Jmt2213 or anyone if you're (still) interested in hosting the swap, please let me know. This was a big one last year, so I'd like to ask that someone who has experience managing swaps steps forward. Thanks for the help!

Becky

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Good news! Christy will be hosting the Bean Swap this year!

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Bump! I'm hoping Christy starts the Bean Swap soon. I know she wanted to wait to start it until her son was back in school and hopefully she'd have a little more time.

• bonechickchris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I know, I have not been here forever! Just so much going on here like usual. I really need a break!
    But I will be back for the Bean Swap. I will try to get it posted in a day or so.
    I hope all is well with everyone!

Becky, I will email you!
    Christy

• sunnyk
    13 years ago

So am I wrong, or is the November swap not going to happen this season.

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Donna,

I don't think the November swap is going to go. I have been unable to find someone to take over the groups for me. I had emailed the "regulars" a month or two back to try and find a replacement for me for the group and no one has stepped forward. Right now I have a few too many things on my plate to continue leading the group.

No one stepped forward to host the swap for November either.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

This is the only swap group that deals exclusively with edibles, and some of my favorite swaps have been through this group. I hate to see it disappear!

On the other hand, life is hectic, and I can't host a swap every month, but if someone else was willing to alternate with me, I'd be willing to help but a schedule together for next year.

Just let me know.

Bonnie

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Okay, that was supposed to read "put a schedule together"

: )

• sunnyk
    13 years ago

I am willing to lend a hand....maybe we can drum up some new blood to host swaps.
    It is hard to believe that there isnt at least one more IE-er to host so that we can each host quarterly(and take December off)

I dont really do flowers so the IE is my only swap group. And I cant bear to see our little unique group fade away.

Come on folks!! We can do this!!

:)DONNA

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Thank you for stepping up Donna. I'd really hate to see the group fall. I have my hands full at the moment with various issues.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Thanks, Donna! I'll email you, and making we can put together a tentative schedule, and then get some folks to help us host a few of the swaps.

Bonnie

• carsons_mimi
    13 years ago

I'm also mainly interested in veggies like Bonnie and Donna so would hate to see these go away as well. I was going to offer up a suggestion to have these events quarterly rather than monthly. Unless the majority wants monthly swaps, I would think quarterly Round Robins would result in larger participant numbers and more varieties of well... varieties. lol

I'm fairly new to the group (started swapping last fall) but would be willing to help with hosting duties too. I'm sure mentoring would be in order but I'm a fast study (if that helps). :-) So count me in...

Lynn

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Okay, just a quick update. Donna and I have come up with a schedule, and are just waiting to hear back from those that have hosted swaps for Incredible Edibles in the past, or have expressed an interest in hosting a swap, before we post the 2011 schedule.

If there is anyone that has not received an email from me that is interested in being a swap host for the Incredible Edibles, please email myself or Donna(sunnyk) through GardenWeb.

Thanks,
    Bonnie