Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracyvine

update: mnf: ornamental beauties #3

tracyvine
16 years ago

Welcome to the Make New Friends Swap for December!

This group is open to EVERYONE....Newbie, Oldie or somewhere in the middle..we take them all.

Ms Fishys email: saddina@roadrunner.com (gardenweb email never arrives)

This month's theme:

Ornamental Beauties (mental beauties for short). (~.^)

Ok I hear the chuckles already, yes fishy may get a bit mental at times (just ask mr fishy), but there is a plan to all this! WeÂre gonna be expanding a tradition my family has; every year the aunts, uncles, and grannies give an ornament on the gift packages. That was once the child moves out/is an adult, they have a collection started for their own tree. The fun part is the ornament has to *mean* something, example for my 21st year (last year you get an ornament as a "kid") my aunt gave me a stained glass cocktail ornament, or last year my son got a bowling ball, as his team took 3rd in his league that year). No stress, no fuss, no muss.

DonÂt celebrate Christmas? ThatÂs ok we want you too! Just about every faith has some celebration in December, no particular faith? Heck we donÂt care itÂs all in fun, just drop a line in your email to me letting me know if you donÂt want religious ornaments, and IÂll pass along your preferences to your swap buddy. Personally IÂm so sick of little angel ornaments I gave away a box of them last year (*never* call something "cute", unless you want 20 of them the next year, to my granny)!

So hereÂs the disclaimersÂ.

First, per GW rules, you MUST be 18 (or celebrating an anniversary of that birthday) to participate.

Second, a FLAT RATE SIZED box. In trying to keep it fair, I want everyone to use the box SIZE as a guide. You are more than welcome to send parcel post, and use a plain box...but it MUST be the same size -or larger- as a flat rate box. I know you ladies all know how to pack a box by now, but I needed guidelines when I started, and new people would like some too. This is plenty of room for a gorgeous ornament, and a few "goodies" to tuck in.

Third, DELIVERY CONFIRMATION is a MUST. Again, this is only to protect YOU & YOUR PARTNER. And to help the hostess (me!) keep track of who has received and sent. Trust me...it is well worth the .65 cents!

Fourth, This is to have fun, no stress, no fuss. We take all comers, all kinds, a healthy sense of humor is a must here.

If you are someone who likes to peak in and read, please post a HELLO! We love meeting NEW FRIENDS! Come on in and visit with us awhile!

Sign ups are closed, partners have been posted! Please (Oldies and Newbies) sign up for our January Swap when it is posted!!!

Comments (150)

• medontdo
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

i'm so late on this but Merry Christmas everyone!! i sure hope everyone's dinners went well. no mishaps! no freaking out! LOL
    ours went fine. the kids were happy for a while. the guys played out in the snow with the remote control big monster truck, in the snow, LOL and had a snow fight LOL talla has been sick. so hopefully its a 12 hour bug, she's getting a little better. LOL i said christmas really starts when mom and them get in and we can all get together!! but all in all we had a great day today, talla loves her baby doll, she usually don't like dolls and this is good thing!! LOL
    we got grant a kbar knife for work and cuz he wants it so badly LOL you know how them boys and their toys are!!! LOL
    i'm anxious to hear about everyone else's day! :'))

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

I hope everyone had a very Beautiful Christmas and is just laying back enjoying everything today.

Fishy, I received the most wonderful package today! Inside the box was a very sweet and special card, and you really made my Pixie dust shine sweetie!

The box was filled with some Holiday Mint Foot Scrub, some Pomegrante Jubilee Bubble Bath, and some Cucumber Melon Hand lotion. ( I love the smells of them all!). It also contained the most beautifully wrapped gift I have ever seen, I didn't want to open it it was so pretty! Attached to the blue sparkly bow were three ornaments, one a glass ornament cake plate with a pc of chocolate cake on it that looks very yummy! There is a silver snowflake also. Best is a WONDERFUL BLUE "ANGEL FISH". OHH how I wish my camera worked because my description won't give it justice. It has beads and sparkles on its face and fins, on the body sides are blue glass tiles and mirrored tiles making the scales. It is absolutely gorgeous and will always remind me of Sweet Fishy! INSIDE the wrapped box was a large box of Belgian Collection Grand Truffles! OMG sweetie they are soo rich and delicious! Such an assortment also! Fox, the boys and I all had a different one and they are YUMMYYYY!!!! Thank you sweet Fishy you really made my Christmas very very special!

I hope everyone has as special a day as I have had today!
    Pixie

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Awesome box, Pixie! I'm glad you are having a great day!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!! We had a very nice day. It started at about 3:45 in the morning, when Elizabeth got into bed with us and said she couldn't sleep. We had told them not to get us up before 5:30, so we told here to go back to sleep. She never did. She just kept waking us up every 15 minutes or so. A little before 6, we heard William up too (though he'd been up off and on since 1:30, aparrantly!), so we finally gave in and told her to go on downstairs. Carl and Ray had spent the night, which was so nice, so they woke Carl up who was sleeping on the couch, and he told them to go down to the basement and get Ray up... Anyway, we were all downstairs a little after 6:00, and we had a donut that Dave got the day before at Walmart, all decorated for Christmas. It was a really nice morning, and so cool because all of us were there! Here is a piture of the kids on Christmas Eve, in their new Chrismas PJs (though all the boys have on old t-shirts - but their pants are new!) Ray had already left to hang out with some friends for the evening, so it's Carl laying down, with from left to right, Sylan, Lily, William and Elizabeth.

They were having such a fun time! Sorry for the red eyes! I haven't messed with the pictures yet!

I hope you all had a wonderful day! Wish I could have you all over for a New Year's Eve party! We often have our next door neighbors over, but she gets very loose-lipped when she is drunk, and the last few times she was over and drinking, she said some very hurtful things. Once was understandable, but it happened a second time, and now I have absolutely no desire to hang out with her, when I know drinking will be involved! I won't knowingly put my husband or myself in that situation again. So, it might just be us, we'll see. But oh, how I'd love to have you all over for a party! : )

Hugs
    Becki

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Isn't everyday a party here?

Ok becki, I now have a strawberry-kiwi habit we need to address (all I've have had today is toast, and the jar's empty, we're outta bread). That was amazingly good. Should be illegially good. We need to talk cases....

That looks like it's the last box recieved, I can't remember who's doing the Jan swap, but I know someone knows.

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! I am starting to feel human again after all of our Christmas Merry Making. We all had a great morning and the kids are thrilled with everything Santa brought to them. They have been playing like crazy with everything! I is so nice to see them having fun.

Trina, that gift box from Miss Fishy sounds wonderful! You are a lucky girl!

Becki, I am so glad that you had a nice Christmas with the whole family. That is great that the older guys stayed over for Christmas morning. I bet they had fun with the little kids. If they are anything like my oldest they had lots of fun with the boy's toys! lol!

Fishy, originally Klickitat said she was going to host for January but is unable to. Then Veeja offered to if Klick wasn't back in time to get it started. I hope you don't sue our Becki! Maybe a settlement of one jar of strawberry kiwi preserves a month would be agreeable? ;o)

Carol, if you are still up for hosting we would love to have you do the honors!

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas! We absolutely did. All the kids have been gorging on candy...Adora has eaten so much over the last 24 hours that she keeps conking out from the sugar induced high/low thing. She will be so hyper, she's running in circles & singing at the top of her lungs...then she just collapses asleep and stays that way for an hour or so. First thing she says when she wakes up, though....."I WANT CANDY!!" And goes for the candy jar.

Um. Yep, said candy jar is now located somewhere safe, and about 10 ft above Adora head level! LoL
    Hubby says "It's only once a year...let the kids eat all they want for a day..THEN put it up!" Little did he know that Adora is a sugar junkie!! LOL

What did everyone do for the holiday??? Share Share Share!!! :O) If I"m the only mom that let her kid get multiple sugar highs...I'm gonna feel bad! LOL

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

HI Everyone!
    I'm still recovering! Right now the house is totally quiet (everyone's sleeping) and I'm enjoying the silence! I cooked my behind off! Honey glazed, brown sugar spiral ham & a turkey/homemade stuffing (made with white castle hamburgers)! Plus tons of sides- whipped garlic/ranch potatoes, corn, asparagas, etc. Appetizers- including artichoke/spinach dip/parmesan garlic bread slices, garden herb cheese dip/crackers, strawberry cheesecake for dessert! And Oprah's pomagranate martini's, yum!
    My Family had a wonderful, busy Christmas! ;)

Looking forward to reading all about your Holiday!
    Wishing you all the best!

Deb

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No worries Miss Bunny! Our kids have been junking up on cookies and home made chocolates since Christmas Eve! Emma's mouth is going to be permanently stained brown from all of the chocolate she has stuffed in herself. We finally put everything up and the house is semi-cleaned up.

Deb, your menu sounds awesome! I made those pomegranite martinis once and they are yummy! I am so glad that you had a great Christmas! I have to tell you how much we all love the little Santa candle that you sent! I have it on a side table next to the couch and Emma keeps telling Santa thank you for all her presents!

I made beef tenderloin with a port wine and mushroom sauce, loaded redskin potato casserole with bacon, vegie medley with cheese sauce and french fried onions. Appetizers were shrimp with cocktail sauce, baked brie with Peach preserves, and spanikopita (spinach and feta cheese baked in rolled up filo dough). We all ate until we were ready to burst! Then we dug into apple pie, chocolates, and butterscotch cookies. I sent everyone home with a goody bag of starbuck's christmas blend coffee and assorted chocolates. We all had tons of fun and laughs but I am dog tired from all the cooking, baking and candy making!

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

We woke up at 7, made breakfast with some of becki's jam, and the sat down to 4 hours of lego building with the new gifts. At one we split, with me & the boys going to my mum's, after 3 hours with my family, I packed up the boys, thier xmas bikes, arranged for us to visit my aunt and grandmother seperatly in Jan. Really 3 hrs a year is all the family I can take.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

nope, not mine, not til today, nana and papa are in!! today is christmas for us!!!!!!! LOL ah man!! this is what i'm talking about!! smiles on the faces!! hugs all around!! kisses and smiles on the faces, oh ya i said that!! LOL i'm sorry, but i'm still one of those babies!! it's not christmas until i'm with my mommy!!! LOL we got them candles and warmer cuz i love them things!! and some slippers and dad his yearly huge calender, LOL and we got to spend time wtih them, it was so cool!!! tabor is so happy!! he got yet another remote control, this one has lights and rolls over everything!! grant is really wanting it!! he told mom and them his birthday is very soon!! LOL and talla is in fairy heaven LOL and she got a lavender bath set like the big girls!!! wooo hooo and i got a can opener!!! yay no more opening them with a knife!! i so hated that!! i'm a righty and my right arm hurts so it didn't make it feel any better. LOL and grant got some cowboys stuff!! he is sooo happy and when we got home tonight his kbar knife was here!! he was happy!! and tabor got a light up pool stick. LOL tomarrow i'm going back over while grants at work. he'll drop me off. i get to spend the day with her and we get to shop. this will be uhhhhhhh exciting, considering all the returns and all the sales. LOL
    but then again we are kinda nuts!! :')) we did have so much fun!!!! i am so glad everyone had fun!!
    becki your kids are so cute!! LOL

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Weee Medo! I am so happy you had a nice Christmas with your folks! You are so right about it not being the same without the MAMA! LOL! Sounds like a great day to me.

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

I am soooo happy that we all had a wonderful Christmas, whatever day it was celebrated on!

I have a major prayer request, don't know if ya'll heard it on the news or not or even if Houston news is broadcast where ya'll each live but anyways, fox and I have some dear friends that have a son Alan's age (19) he was home from college over the holidays and they had a party, well some kids that weren't invited showed up and Matt asked them to leave, long story short Matt was stabbed in the heart and died last night. Please keep their family and the friends that witnessed this AND the child (young man) that did this in ya'lls prayers. The young man that did this is still on "the run". Its a very very sad situation. I don't know all the details but I do know that a parent should not have to bury a child that is just not the way things are supposed to go, parents are to be buried first.

Anyways enuff of the sad stuff.

We had a very wonderful Christmas here, Nan was in and it was nice having my boys around. I got to use my Christmas present this evening. I got a new Kitchenaid mixer for Christmas. I was going to make sugar cookies with it but ended up making sausage balls for Nan's trip home tomorrow. I also "had" to make more peppered pecans but this time I had to add more hot sauce, sheesh what is it with these guys and hot things???? Speaking of that....

All day long Nan and I have been listening to Rebs seranade, whine, howl, chirp, bark, you name it and he did it, to Mud. Mud is in her second week of HEAT (for ya'll that don't know the second week is the week that they are throwing out pheramones calling any takers). I even called a couple people to have them hear Rebs. Sheesh he hates us about now!!! Nan just looked at him and said "sucks to be you eh Rebs?" lol. Ok to clear things up.... We are keeping Mud and Rebs apart as this is Muds first heat and she is too young to have pups, Rebs (male) is a horndog and would be one of those stray dogs that jumps the fence to get after that fluffy thing. So thats our excitement nowadays.... keeping them apart. Sheesh what "A Wonderful Life" eh???? lol

Smiles,
    Pixie

• karenh71867
    16 years ago

Hi everyone! I've been sorta MIA here. I've been checking in when I can though! Much belated birthday wishes to Deb, Diene and Tracy, belated Anniversary wishes to Fishy, and I'm so glad to hear that everyone had a Merry Christmas! Thoughts & prayers to your friends' family Pixie, so sad!

Gosh, you all fix some nice holiday meals!! We just have the basics at my folks', Turkey/Ham, stuffing(our Fav!!) potatos & gravy, jello salads, frozen corn OFF the cob, jello salads, pies, and goodies. Usually my mom fogets something! lol This year it was squash in the microwave and coleslaw in the fridge. It gets used at suppertime though!

Just thought I'd drop in and let y'all know I'm still around! In case I don't get on this week-end, I hope everyone has fun ringing in the New Year!!

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh Pixie, that is just awful. I hadn't heard about it. I am so sad for his family and the family of the boy who did this. How did our youth become so angry? I am praying for them all.

Karen, We missed you! Your Christmas dinner sounds wonderful! That is very close to the meal that we have at my inlaws every year! It all sounds yummy to me! I am normally the one who forgets to put a dish on the table! LOL! I now ask my mom "what did I forget" as she is fully informed on all the side dishes due to my forgetfull nature! hee hee! I hope you have a fantastice New Year too!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

gee pixie!! i am soo sorry! its so sad when ya have to start thinking about patting everyone down at the door! but we will pray for them! i know i'm really late on it all. but better than never. :')) lots of love to ya!! i know that must be hard for you.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Oh, What awful news, Pixie!! How horrible for both families involved! Geeze, I cannot imagine....
    Lots of prayers to both families. Wow.

Who is hosting the next swap...did we ask that already? I missed it, I think! :O)

I wanted to share with you guys what my hubby gave me for Christmas! This picture isn't very good, because the drawing was already framed, so the light was reflecting off of it...but Hubby drew me a picture of my orange rose that bloomed this summer! I think he's very talented, and I"m soooo thrilled that he has taken up drawing again. He quit for years, because he simply thought he wasn't good enough. Tried to tell him that it's not about being "good", it's about just enjoying it. SO, he decided to surprise me for Christmas....I just love it! :O)

• pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

WOW Melissa!!! WOW! He did an awesome job! He is very talented, that is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I know you are very proud of that. He should keep drawing most definately, WOW!

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Melissa, he did an amazing drawing! I think it is fantastic. He is very talentented! Tell him to keep up with it! He is very thoughtful. You have a keeper there!

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, I just got back from my inlaw's family Christmas Party and decided to peak on here to see who was up to what this evening and re-read my post. I meant talented. Not talentented! LOL! What a goober I am. Oh well. I see it is quiet as usual here. It seems to have become a trend lately. Where are all our crazy friends? I hope you are all busy running from one Christmas party to the next.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

oh my goodness bunny!! that is soooo beautifull!!! so ya have a pro on your hands eh?!!! LOL yep, we all agree, its sooo beautifull!! LOL he's very talented!!

• diene
    16 years ago

Good Afternoon All;
    Sorry I have not been around, Mom turned 80 on Saturday and with her in rehab, we had her birthday party there. My brothers and sister and their children came for the event, it was great to have most of the gang together. Two of my nieces were missing as well as a BIL. We woke up to snow this morning and while the driving is treacherous, the scenery is beautiful!!

This last one was to show you all the hard work I had to do to clear the driveway. The picture above is my street which the plow did not do as good a job as I.
    The top one is the front garden, you can barely see my bench. I am very sore from shoveling and pushing the snowblower. The snow is very heavy as you can see by how it is clinging to the trees. Lost a few branches also, oh well.
    HNB that picture is spectacular! Pixie sorry to hear the story of the young men. What a tragedy.
    Hope everyone has a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    diene

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Me & mr Fishy snuck off to a cabin in the snow for a few days after xmas, next time must get one with hot tub. The boys joined us after the 1st night for some snowballing/sledding fun. Bunny, that's a lovely drawing, he certainly has talent (I'm still on stick-people for the most part). Durning the holiday 2 weeks we do a art-camp deal for the kids, so I'm up to my eyes in construction papers and glue sticks this week. I'm planning on enjoying my next 3 weeks of time, b4 the spring classes start at San Bernie.
    Our cat Sasha passed away Sat AM from age (she was 15), and mr fishy helped the boys pick out a new cat from the shelter yesterday, so soon I'll be adapting a new cat to my nutty school/work household. I have my new trees comming soon, and that has me happy, I'll post pics once they're here.

• medontdo
    16 years ago

we almost adopted a basset hound, but hubby thought better of it. i'm kinda glad, cuz all that slobber. YUCK!!!! LOL that would be fun to be in a cabin with a hot tub!! WOO HOO!!! LOL did ya have LOTS of fun?? LOL :')) hope everyone is staying safe!! and their new year is filled with greatness!! :')) lots of love medo

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Diene- That snow is beautiful! What a lovely place you have, just gorgeous!
    We're still waiting for our first major snow fall, all we've had is an inch or two so far. So, the kids (and hubby) are anxiously waiting! Can't wait to break out the sled!

I hope everyone is having a fun & safe NEW YEARS EVE!! I'm stuck at work, and hubby will most definitely be asleep by the time I get home....so I'll have to settle for a cup of tea, and a nice quiet evening alone. :O)

• dirt_under_my_nails
    16 years ago
  • pixiesluvplants
    16 years ago

Free Comments and Graphics Codes

love ya'll and wishes the very best for all of you this coming year! WHOOOHOOO 08 (don't forget to remember its 08 and not 07 anymore when your writing checks out for bills and things!!!)

Love and smiles,
    Pixie

Free Comments and Graphics Codes

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Happy New Year, everyone!!! Hope you all had a good time last night! Fishy - the cabin sounds wonderful! What fun! And Melissa - that picture is beautiful! What an artist your hubby is!! Oh, and Pixie, I've been praying for that family - what a tragedy! Tracy - no Christmas parties - just had the one and that's it! Diene - you did a great job on that driveway!! I'm lucky, my hubby always gets out the garden tractor with the plow and takes care of ours, but ever since we had that big ice storm, we've had a layer of ice underneath, so it's pretty slippery all the time! Ours is gravel, so it's hard to scrape away all the ice! Michele, April, Kalena, and everyone else - I hope all is well your way!!

We stayed home last night. We watched a couple movies - 'Live Free or Die Hard', which I thought was excellent! Loved it! Then, Dave and I watched '1408'. I SO do not recommend that movie!! It was like a nightmare that just wouldn't end! Anyway, Dave got some shrimp with cocktail sauce, and the boys loved that! And I made some dip that everyone ate with chips. And Carl gave us a late Christmas present of a Pepperidge Farms gift box, so we had plently of cheeses and such. It was a nice evening. Then, when we shut off the 2nd movie, Dave asked what time it was, and I went to check, and wouldn't you know, it was one minute to midnight! So we watched the ball drop, and then all went to bed! Not real exciting, but quiet and enjoyable (besides freaking out to a movie - now I remember why I don't like watching Stephen King movies!!)

Have a very happy new year, everyone!!!

Becki

• medontdo
    16 years ago

who was in 1408? or who made it? tabor loved that other movie you watched!! LOL we watched halloween the new one by rob zombie, kinda kool!! explains alot!! we have spent time with mom and them and aunt julie and them, all at mom's house, so that's 10 people in one house. and its kinda crazy with white indians. have ya ever seen that?? LOL lets see talla is 5 so she's trying to be a big girl with the kids cuz they are all 3 11 and 12. they were out playing ping pong so i had to make them play 2 on 2 so she would have a turn. hope ya'll had a great night, we just did, watched fire works and all!! but i'm ready ato go home!! LOL

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good Morning everyone! Happy New Year. We spent a quiet evening home like Becki. We watched Shrek 2 on the tv with the kids. We hadn't seen it before and it was a lot of fun. The kids were allowed to stay up and watch the ball drop in Time Square. Emma was so excited to see Hannah Montana singing! She boogied down while she watched her sing. The boys had a blast, all except Dan were able to keep awake until Midnight. Poor little guy wouldn't say he wanted to go to bed so he told us he was going to play with his Rescue Heroes in his room and then he tucked himself in and went to sleep. Stubborn little fella didn't want to admit defeat in front of the big brothers. LOL!

Pixie, I am going to try my hardest to remember that it is '08. Last year the first check I wrote in the new year had me jumping ahead to '08 and skipping '07 altogether! LOL!

Diene, Your pictures are beautiful. I love the crisp whiteness that follows a fresh snowfall. Time for a hot bath to soak away all the achies after your hard work clearing the drive. That is wonderful that all the kids made it in for your Mom's birthday. It is so nice to have everyone home!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Tracy - that is so funny! I KEPT thinking last year was 2008 for some reason! I can't tell you the number of checks it ended in '08! Sad!!!

Michele - it starred John Cusack, with a supporting role by Samuel L. Jackson. A few other people, but they were the main ones. Mostly just John Cusack. It was a typical Stephen King, I suppose. About an author who writes about haunted places, but knows none of it is true, because he's stayed in all these places, and nothing has ever really happened. Then he gets a post card telling him not to stay in room 1408 of the Dolphin Hotel in NYC, so of course he has to go. Samuel L. Jackson is the manager of the hotel, and he tries his hardest not to have him stay in that room, but John tempts fate, and finds out it really is haunted! Trust me - frightening! And it feels like it will never end! I'm not a horror movie liker, so it was too much for me. But, Dave liked it. He loves Stephen King. How did we get together???

Sweet little Dan tucking himself in! Elizabeth actually laid on the couch to watch that stupid movie with us, but I kept telling her to put the blanket over her face, and finally one of those times she fell asleep. Lily fell asleep pretty early - around 8, I think. Then, just as the ball was dropping Elizabeth woke up, so we all saw it but Lily. It threw me for a loop though, as we are in the Central Time Zone, and it said Live on the TV, in NYC - that didn't make any sense to me. But, I was tired, maybe it said Live on the East Coast, everywhere else it's not.

• Debra Andruska
    16 years ago

Happy New Year Everyone!
    It's been snowing here for 4 days! We stayed in last night and watched movies. I cooked on the grill yesterday in a snow storm! It's a balmy 21* right now. By Saturday in the 50's? Strange unpredictable weather!

Deb

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

glitter-graphics.com

I work today, like I do every year, but that's ok. The boys are living on the bike & scooter they got for xmas, which makes me happy. I'm spending extra time in the busy beetle class this month (2-3) helping with the last few reluctiant toilet trainers, so that they're ready to bump up to ladybugs in spring. May not be glamiorus, but it helps morale to know the boss isn't above wiping tushies either. On a related note, Erik is now reading... at 3.... punk kid. He's sat in on his brother's reading lessons for so long he knows his letter sounds and compbos, yesterday he just started reading on his own. So I may bump him up a class to the 4-5 room early.

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Everyone;
    I just realized I had not ever shown you what happened to those bulbs I dragged out of the basement. Only one has flowered so far but they are all still growing. The one that did flower is beautiful.
    Here it is.

Then the rest are green but no buds yet

We had a great time last night, went to friends for an impromptu party. We were hoping to go sledding but the moon never came out and we did not feel it was safe enough to be out without it. For an impromptu party it was very well attended. There were at least forty people there, most of them strangers to us so we made some new friends. I found two women interested in gardening, one lives the next street over and has been admiring my gardens. We are going to work on her yard come spring.
    Have a wonderful rest of the week.
    diene

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Diene,

Those look wonderful! Moonlight sledding would be so fun! I love meeting new people, that is so nice of you to help out your new friend with her garden. I know she will learn a lot from you.

Have a great night!
    Tracy

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful, diene! Wow!

I hope you all are doing well! And having a happy new year!

I'm afraid I am spending a lot of time right now going through differnt presidential candidates websites, and trying to figure out who exactly I want to caucus for tomorrow night. As you may or may not know, we have the Iowa Caucuases tomorrow, and boy, I can't wait for it to be over! But, I feel it is my duty and right to participate. I don't know if any of the rest of you are in caucus/primary states, but we have been bombarded with information here! Constant commercials and phone calls! I've been getting at least one political phone call a day for the past month or more. Often several each day. 3 months ago, I thought I had already decided whom I was going to caucus for, but over the past several weeks, I have been flip flopping like crazy!! Ugh! So, I've said to myself several times, why are you even going to go? And then I tell myself, because then I would be letting someone else make my decision for me! I don't want to turn this thread political, so I won't even start mentioning names or parties. I've been registered with no party for many years now, as I consider myself a very strong independent. But I have been leaning toward one side for the past several years. And over there, there are 2 people for whom I would vote, that have a good chance of winning. But, I find that I agree with a lot of things on the other side of the fence as well, and it's really thowing me for a loop! Now, my hubby has really brought my attention to this candidate on the other side, and I am really liking what he stands for! But, he doesn't have a snowball's chance in h... to win the nomination, or likely even the caucus. So, I am fighting with this idea of why even vote for him then, why not put my vote toward someone who has a chance of winning it? Ugh - it is occupying my thoughts so much right now! I've been trying so hard to keep an open mind and look at everyone for what they believe in, but it seems like with everyone there are things I agree with, and things I don't! So frustrating! Dave told me to just wait until tomorrow morning, and whomever I am feeling like I need to vote for when I wake up, is who I should vote for. So, I guess that's what I'll do! Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know what's been occupying my thoughts lately!

I hope the rest of you don't have such things on your mind that you are blowing way out of proportion!! I don't know why I am making this such a monumental decision, as it's just my one little vote amidst many more - but I am trying to do what's right!

Okay, so, yep, I'm ready for it to be over!!!

Have a great day everyone!!!

Becki

• fishymamas
    16 years ago

Becki,
    Grab a sheet of paper, write down the 3 and ONLY 3 issues that are the most important to you/will effect you the most. Now look at list of 3 items, and find the candidate who closely reaches those goals, can you live with 2/3 if they get the 2 really right? I usually look most at educational ideas, enviromential ideas, and general compenticy (does the guy make sence when he speaks?), but your ideas may vary (I think all teachers wanna know what a candidate thinks on education first). I think the last 2 elections have shown us even a small % of voters can have a huge impact on national elections, so of course it's something to ponder seriously.
    Then again I picked my candidate in Sept, baised off thier views on closing the education gap between "rich" & "poor" schools.

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Becki;
    We were just discussing the caucus tonight as we have no idea what that really means. Is it the same as voting or is it like a town meeting with discussions that then leads to a consensus?
    How does an independent get involved? Do you have to choose which party you caucus with or does everyone get to go to both?
    We have primary elections here but as an independent, I cannot vote. I could declare a party affiliation the day of the election but then I would have to resubmit as an independent.
    Good luck tomorrow but if you have the time, I would love to understand what exactly is involved. Thanks. diene

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Yep, diene, that's exactly what we'll have to do. We have to register as a republican or democrat for that day, and then we can reregister as an independent afterwards. You have to go to one parties caucus or the other (if you choose to, that is.) You go to your caucus place, and get into groups by which candidate you are supporting. (I've never done this before, so this is just what I understand so far.) I know on the dem. side this is the case, but not sure on the rep. - if any one candidate has less than a certain number of supporters there, that candidate is excluded, and his/her supporters have to go to a different group. These numbers all depend on how many delegates get sent from your area (and as ours is really small, I'm guessing just one, which means I believe the candidate has to have at least 35% of the vote.) I could be way off on this, but that's my understanding. After that, I'm not sure of what happens. I think I know who I am going to caucus for, and even though he doesn't have much of a chance, I agree with so much that he says, that I will have to go with him. If more people think that way, he might have a chance, I guess. After it happens, I'll let you know exactly how it works. Knowing that very few people actually attend the caucus, and knowing ours is a small area, maybe my guy has a chance!

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becki, I am so glad that you brought this up. Seeing as I don't live in a caucus state I have never understood it very well at all. I am glad that Diene asked. I have to concur with fishy's idea. That is generally what I was thinking when I was reading your original post. The only problem that I see is that so many candidates agree with each other on many of the issues during the campaign stage and then switch up after election. My thought is that you run with your gut. When Hillary, Obama and Edwards firts threw their hats in the ring I was decidedly in Obama's camp. Now that I am hearing more from Edwards I am liking much of what he has to say. I am still undecided but I think you have gotten to hear more definitive information than I have. I am at the mercy of whomever the press is following most closely. I am undeclared on whether I am republican or democrat too but lean more toward one than the other most elections.

If I were you I would vote for the person that you are leaning toward no matter what. Every vote counts. The last few elections have been so close it has been surprising.

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Since you brought up names, Tracy, I'll go there as well. I was very much on the Edwards train ever since the last election. But, he and Obama are the ones I have been teetering between. Then, I had to very honestly admit to myself, that is wasn't really on the issues, it was more because they were "likeable". And I do agree with them on many things. But... then Ron Paul came into the picture. Dave liked him right away. It took me a little while to come around, but as I really took a look at his view on the issues, I see I agree with him on a lot. So, I think I will am going to be a Republican tomorrow. Then, an Independent again. He is quite a bit different than the typical Republican, in fact he ran as an Liberatarian in the '84??? election (I don't have the paper here anymore, so I'm not sure that was the year.) Please don't think I'm crazy for going with him, but my head and heart are just now saying he's the one I want to support.

I am now wishing I had taken the time to go and see some of the candidates that I was invited to see! We've had one after the other in towns nearby, and I've been invited at least 10 times to see one or another speak. Boy, am I kicking myself for not doing that once or twice now, as I know that after tomorrow, we probably won't see any of them again! (Not nearly as much, at least!)

I'm at peace with my decision now, so I feel good about it! Now to just see how I feel tomorrow... ;)

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am glad that you came to a decision. I know how hard it is to finally make the leap. There are times in the election booth where my little hole puncher just hovered over the candidates in the last seconds of indecision. I honestly have never heard of Ron Paul. I will have to look him up to see what he is about.

I am so glad that you brought up the caucuses because I really was curious as to how they worked. I don't know why they are always in the same states though. One would think that they would move them around like they move the conventions? Why is that anyway? Any idea?

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Whew - I was afraid I had scared everyone off!! If you want to learn more about Ron Paul, his official website is www.ronpaul2008.com. He is a congressman from Texas, who honestly has a reputation in congress for voting no on many things, in a effort to save the taxpayers money. I don't know everything about him, but he seems to be a very commonsence man to me. He is very much Pro-Life though, so if that bothers you, he probably isn't your man! I wish I had brought this up last night now, when Melissa could have responded - if Ron Paul doesn't get enough votes in my presinct, I think I will have to switch over to someone else - my gut is saying Mike Huckabee (since I can't just jump over to the democratic caucus!), and I'd love to get Melissa's impression of him! So, Melissa, if you happen to get on here before 6 tonight or so, I'd love to hear your take on Governer Huckabee (former gov., I believe.)

I don't know why the caucuses are always done this way, Tracy! I know Iowa faught really hard to keep our spot as first in the nation - there are other states that would like to have that distinction. I very seriously didn't pay too much attention to the reasoning. But, they say we here in Iowa are a good picture of how the rest of the county will vote. Apparantly most of time whomever wins the caucuses here goes on to be the nominee. Perhaps we have a good balance of semi-urban and rural, rich and poor, young and old, I really don't know...

Anyway, enough politics! Do we have a hostess for this month? If not, I will do it (as I haven't yet), but have to warn you, it will likely be something small - with not much expense (as that's all I can do myself right now!)

Becki

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becki, I think it would be wonderful if you hosted this month. I had thought of throwing my hat in the ring but really am too busy to give it my full attention right now. I had an idea of maybe having some type of regifting swap? I know many of us have gotten doubles of a few gardening items in some exchanges or have gotten items that they don't have any use for. Maybe we can post a list of items that we have to send out to a partner. If anyone wants any of these items then all they have to do is speak up.

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello Becki;
    Thanks for the info. It does not look as if anyone is doing the next swap so you can certainly take it over. I think it is a great idea to keep it simple. Back when GW was small, we never traded in groups and we never sent anything that was not supposed to grow. I can remember posting a message and making a sandwich while I waited for it to download and a response to come through. My how things have changed.
    I think the idea of gifts are nice but not really why I come to this website. I have very specific tastes for garden decorations. I am a minimalist so most of the stuff I have been sent has not been used. I have a box of nice garden stakes, wind socks, flags, small statues etc. My am I going on about this. Suffice to say, I will no longer be joining swaps that have stuff involved. I will always be available to provide a box if something goes wrong.
    So welcome hostess becki, the KISS idea is great (Keep It Simple Stupid). Please let us know how the caucus goes, if it is fun or just a waste of time. It seems a bit strange but could be fun.
    I believe the method of choosing how a state weighs in on candidates is something each state chose when they first became a state. That is why New England does the primary votes.
    Here in Maine, some towns still have town meetings to decide on budgets and laws. Before I moved closer to the coast, I lived in a town that decided everything at an annual meeting in June. It was held at Town Hall and it was a hoot. Of course, we could not afford police, fire or rescue personnel. We did buy the equipment for fires and rescue but we depended on volunteers to use this equipment. It was a strange concept to a girl born and raised in NYC. My old friends and family still have a hard time believing it.
    Now I am in a small city with an elected Mayor, City Council and paid police, fire and rescue personnel. This is more what I am used to. Of course, taxes are three times as much also. We pay almost $5000 a year property tax here, my last house I paid $800. Big difference.
    Well I am really rambling now so I will say so long for now. diene

• medontdo
    16 years ago

so far i'm for ron paul, he's for gun's, homeschooling and not tough guidlines, i just like him so much, not a flip flopper! i can fo for a person who thinks our property is ours!! LOL i found out about him thru the homeschoolers blog, then grant said "how is he on gun control" so i had to look that up, so he's rated A by the NRA so, yep. i had to read all the stuff on him.

• hazelnutbunny
    16 years ago

Sorry for not making your "deadline", Becki! LoL
    Eeek. Politics.
    Hmmm...opinions on Mike, huh?? Well...I really like the guy, to be honest. I've met him a few times....May 8th is SAFE TV day in Arkansas, so he always presents an award to the station. (well, the Gov. of AR does, so this year it was obviously that other guy. Yeah, I have NO idea who the current gov of arkansas is. Beebe? Yikes.) Anyway, He was an excellent governor AND he's a very down to earth guy, which I like. No "I'm a famous guy, worship me" attitude there. LoL
    I have alot of the same beliefs as Huckabee, but the only thing I disagree with is that I think church and state SHOULD be seperate..and I feel he's bringing God into the equation too often. Yes, it's great that he's Christian, and I believe that his convictions SHOULD rule his decisions...but....when church gets involved with the government, it's always bad news. Next thing you know, Sunday will be a legal thing, not an optional thing. And that would be the government choosing my day of worship. Which I totally disagree with. That's between me & God...no one else. :O)

Moving on .... T.M.I. territory there. LoL And a little off subject. But when the bunny gets started.......! LoL

Anyway.
    Becki, are you hosting the next swap? That would be great! :O) Yay! And Fun!

I hope everyone has had a good week so far! Tomorrow is FRIDAY! Yay!!!

• beckilove
    16 years ago

Okay, girls, yes I will host the next swap. Give me a day or two to put it together, and I'll see what I can come up with! (I've got the first time hostess jitters!)

Thank you for the info, Melissa! I did end up voting for Ron Paul, and the Republican caucus was very different than the Democratic, in that with the Rep. one, we just voted once, and those votes just got tallied along with all the other Rep. ones. On the Dem side it is very confusing and weird, so I'm kind of glad we didn't go to that. Anyway, here is how it went:

We got there about 6:15, and there were about 30 chairs set up. Registered as Republicans, and sat down. People just kept coming and coming. We were in the meeting type room of a small fire station. They kept adding chairs, but it became quite evidnet that we were way over the fire code for that room in the fire station. So, the pulled out the fire trucks and amulance, and we all moved into the garage area. We did a head count and there were 174 people there! It was incredible! Each canditate could have 3 people talk about him for no more than 3 minutes each. No one spoke for Rudy Guiliani or John Mc Cain, one guy spoke for Fred Thompson, one guy from Utah who was just here to help with the caucuses spoke for Mitt Romney, 3 people spoke for Mike Huckabee, and 1 person, plus my husband spoke for Ron Paul. I was so proud of my hubby for going up there and saying why he was supporting him! Anyway, then we each got little piece of paper, wrote down who we were voting for, passed them in, and 4 people went in another room to count the votes - 2 to count, and 2 to oversee. While this was going on, they asked for volunteers to join the Rep. county committee, passed around a box for donations, and asked for volunteers to be delegates to the county convention. I had been reading up on this a bit, and thought it might be something I would like to do, but I'm a bit of an introvert, and didn't dare raise my hand. They got all six of their people, and then asked for anyone to be an alternate. I shot up my hand, because I was kicking myself for not offering sooner. So, I am an alternate delegate for our county Rep. convention. Why did I want to? Because I found out that the delegates that go DON'T have to vote for the people that their precinct chose. Anyway, we'll see what happens with that. Then, they came back with the results. It appears that of the 174 votes, Dave and I and the guy behind us, and the other guy that spoke for Ron Paul and ONE other person there voted for Ron! 5 votes! Oh, well! The overwhelming majority of votes in our precinct were for Mike Huckabee - like over 120 of them. And the rest were dispursed among the others, with John McCain and Mitt Romney coming in 2nd and 3rd. I think with 5 votes, Ron Paul came in 4th in our precinct. Then we were done. Pretty easy! Anyway, as you probably have seen or heard already today, Huckabee was the winner throughout the state last night, so that was good. And Ron Paul actaully got 10% of the votes, which of course I would have loved to have it be higher, but was still a pretty good amount. He finished 5th in the state, ahead of Rudy Guiliani, who only had 4% (of course he didn't campaign here anyway, so that's understandable!) Anyway, yes I would be happy to stand behind Mike Huckabee as well, so I am fairly happy with how things turned out. On the Dem. side, Obama came in first, with Edwards 2nd, and Clinton very close behind him in 3rd. Dodd and Biden have dropped out of the race. Poor Bill Richardson finished 4th, with only 2% of the vote, and he looked so sad when he gave his speech afterwards. I wanted to give him a big hug! (Of all their experience, I would say he probably DESERVES it more than most of them up there! In fact in terms of experience, Biden and Dodd probably should have done better too, but the way the Dems. do their caucus makes the results pretty crazy!) We had record turnouts all over the state, and I would say overall, it was a good day for Iowa! Anyway, I promised to tell you all about it, so I did! : )

I am glad to hear that Huckabee really is a genuine and good as he seems, Melissa. You always have to wonder how honest they are being, and I'm glad to hear that you like him!! And Michele, I am still there with you - I would love to see Paul somehow come out of this a winner! I see him as the candidate that frankly cares the most for the well being of his constituants! I like his ideas (for the most part), and think he would really change this country for the better! Anyway, enough on politics from me!!! I promise, no more, unless it's asked for!

Hope all of you are having a great day! I am off to put Lily in the tub, as while I was typing she covered herself in marker! She put polka dots all over her belly!

Oh, BTW, I'm not proofreading all that, so I'm afraid you'll have to just look past all the mistakes I'm sure I made! : )

• tracyvine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becki,

Thank you for telling us all about the caucus process! I think most of us would never have a good understanding of the workings of it if you hadn't gone through it! That explanation was great. I actually was able to visualize the whole thing and can wrap my brain around it. I am so proud of you for volunteering to be an alternate. Way to go. LOL at Lily with the marker! Been a victim of those little imp fingers myself on many an occasion! Fast aren't they? LOL!

• medontdo
    16 years ago

when it comes to politics i'm a big dummy!! that's for sure!! but i do know we definately need a change! and no hilary, obama, sorry for those who like them! i did at first. and i did like huckabee, but then i read up on his thing on the homeshcooling thing, that changed my mind. i know he was the grandfather of it, and then he flip flopped, i think he was the guy, he agreed to sticter guid lines. man, we have tons of hours! my sister has like 700 and some, they are lucky!! LOL
    talla got a body glitter kit for christmas, oh my so she has been making herself, bub and me up in it, so its been "fun" LOL so now they have body ink! i like it for eye liner!! LOL who said mmom's can't have fun with this stuff?? LOL

• medontdo
    16 years ago

wheatables reduced fat and cool whip!! wouldn't ya know talla came up with that, she said this is what princess's have for a snack. my stomack is like yuck!!! LOL then i tasted it!! yummy!! now someone else will have to do the the next one cuz i believe this is the 150th!! LOL and we all know i cannot do it right!! LOL Happy 2008 i so know this is to be a great year for something!! tabor is so excited about his pumpkin seeds he's gotten, its a few, but to a boy, oh my goodness!! now he's working on sunflower seeds!! talla got the bella dancerella thing, oh my goodness, cheerleading all the time!! but she's loosing her tummy! i think maybe i might do some of that with her, heck maybe i might lose some of my belly!! LOL
    diene your amaryllis is so pretty! mine bloomed for 2 weeks i think then it died i think cuz i needed to water it more, errr!! does that other part of it bloom? and how long til you can get seeds from the dead part? outta curiosity, i havent taken them off yet. they were so pretty!!! i want all of them!! :'))