Winter winds blow,
yet still, beneath the earth
the flowers slumber
uncaring in their dormant state

Till the Spring sun
melts the snowy cover
and all that is asleep
rises and blooms again!

Sometimes waiting for spring can put you in the doldrums. This month we're all about getting through the "hump month" and into the mild weather of spring. We'll be exchanging garden themed items and seeds. Some examples could be: seeds, ususual seed catalogs or seed writeups, windchimes, bird feeders, gardening tools, treats or whatever it takes to make your partner smile! It can be funny, serious or seriously funny...the sky's the limit! This isn't about expensive boxes just something to keep our minds in the garden and out of the snowbanks. Warm weather states can share their off weather woes too...it doesn't matter where you are, you can still get the "waiting for spring" blues!

THE RULES (horns blowing and the brass band starting up)

#1 You have to be 18
#2 You are to send 5 or more seed packets
#3 sign up's are until the 10th and then partners will be assigned.
#4. The boxes are to be mailed out by January 25th
#5. The confirmation number is to be posted or sent to your partner (people like to know when it's arriving)
#6. This is all about fun and cheering up! Have a good time with it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new: mnf 'Waiting for Spring'

"moving the Bailey's, tea pot and waiting for brownies to arrive"

o

Count me in! Waiting for Sprng!

o

Hmmm, should I join or not? Let me think about this... after all, the first day of Winter is still 2 days away! Linda's in charge, which is sure to make this a bit "unusual", shall we say? LOL!!! And, I'll bet Mark finds his way into the kitchen again... And, I've already been buying some Spring items for this swap...hehehe! And, I've got more ideas for what to put into this particular box. And, finally, I'm not sure if I have any seeds... NOT!!!
sign Pictures, Images and Photos

COUNT ME IN ON THIS ONE!!!

o
signs

Dan, your sign reminds me of one I saw on the back wall of the Grand Imperial Ballroom in Chicago.

"Please do not tape, glue, tack, nail, staple, wax or attach anything to the ballroom walls. The management would appreciate if you would 'adhere' to this rule."

o

Now, that's funny!

o

ahhh, hello there gentlemen! Have a cup of tea and some brownies..best in the house!

o

Well, of course they are! Uh oh! Looks like we're running low on "oregano"! Mark, would you put some "confectioners sugar" on these brownies while I go to the shed and get some more oregano for the next batch? I believe there should be some just about dried and ready for use.
***going to shed now, then returning***
Yep! Found some! See?
:)Weed(: Pictures, Images and Photos

We're gonna have ourselves a New Year Pictures, Images and Photos

o

I'm in! Been waiting for this one! This is the worst time of year with the lull between fall/winter planting and waiting for Spring to arrive. And my birthday month as well, so this will be an extra birthday present for me!!

Kathy

o

"putting out more tea cups"...Hi Kat, glad you could join us!

o

Count me in this one! I love preparing for spring although this year I'm excited about winter because I'm trying wintersowing. Anyhoo, Sounds like fun! Nik

o

Hi Nik, happy to see you!...."offering brownie"...

o

Linda~ I'm gonna have to pass on this one. :O( Just gotta get everything back on track (sigh) before I can commit to anything else!
I'll pop in to help keep the kids....er, I mean, DAN & MARK... in line, though....LOL

Have Fun!!

o

Sounds like fun! I love planning surprises!

Diana

o
Big Kid

But MOM! I promise to behave it you let me play with my seeds!

And, Dan started it. He hit me first.....

Yea, you have how many kids? You hear this all the time! LOL!

We'll miss you this time around.

Mark

o

ARE WE THERE YET???

MARK'S ON MY SIDE OF THE CAR!!!

ARE WE THERE YET???

I GOTTA PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redneck Pictures, Images and Photos Here's a picture of Mark and me. I'm the one with the hat. Anyone hear banjos???

o

"spitting tea all over the screen"..geez Dan...you should'da warned me!!!

o

famous line from my little sister when asked, "who hit who first?" "He hit me back first". diene

o

Now boys....I don't care WHO started it....I"M gonna finish it!! :O)

*taking tape out and sticking it down the middle of the car seat*
Now, Dan..you stay on THIS side, and MARK, you stay on THAT side.

*handing Dan an empty pop bottle*
Here ya go...use this...next stop in a hour or so...if ya don't want the bottle, just TIE IT IN A KNOT, MISTER!

o

***quietly putting full bottle on Mark's side of the car***

o

I saw that, Mister......

o

Gosh Dan, that picture is scarey!

o

Hi Diana, welcome to the Waiting for Spring!..and Bunny I really thought you might be a little busy this time around..."L"....

o

Linda, I like your idea of moving this party out onto the verandah where we can enjoy the Spring weather...

Let's change the menu a bit, shall we? Here's the recipe for some mint juleps...

Mint Julep
INGREDIENTS
Mint sprigs
1 tspn Powdered Sugar
2 tspn Water
2 1/2 oz Bourbon Whiskey

Servings: 1

DIRECTIONS
Into a sliver mug or a 12 oz. Tom Collins glass put: the mint, powdered sugar, and water.
Fill the glass with shaved ice and add the whiskey.
Stir gently until glass is frosted.
Decorate with slice of orange, lemon, pineapple and a cherry. Insert 5 or 6 sprigs of mint on top.
Serve with straws.

lemonade mint julep Pictures, Images and Photos

o

"handing Dan a broom to sweep off the veranduh while pulling covers off the rocking chairs"...ahh..this is much better...smell that spring air!..."inhaling fresh smelling air"...Look! there's a daffodil in bloom.."pointing"

o

Mmmmmmm! Never had one, Dan...but they sound good! Glad to see you're behaving yourself today. :O)

The forsythia on the hillside behind my house are blooming! Isn't that crazy? Of course, our weather is crazy, too. Bouncing between 10 and 60 degrees...it's no WONDER the poor things are confused!

o

I have the fresh mint growing in my basement right now! Got a box of mixed fresh citrus from a friend in Florida. Have plenty of powder sugar. Now, how about the rest?

Made a KILLER cake today: peppermint stick cake.

Use any white cake mix. Bake according to the directions and bake in a bunt pan.

One you turn out the cake, let it cool for about 20 minutes. Boil some water to make some jello. Use one small box of cherry sugar free jello, one cup boiling water and 1 teaspoon peppermint extract. Mix till the jello dissolves. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes. Pour the jello mix over the turned out cake.

Frost with a white frosting.

o

Mark, all I can say is... you're gonna make someone a great wife someday! LOL!!! Do you do windows???

***sweeping the verandah while looking at the daffodils***

Daffodils Pictures, Images and Photos

o
pictures

How do you put the pictures in the posting? I have tried to copy and paste and that does not work.

o

Mark, go to photobucket.com and get your pictures from there. It's where I get mine.

Now, does anyone know how to re-size the pictures from photobucket? I'd like to make some of them smaller...

o
cake picture

Dan, I can post a link (see below) but how do you get the picture into this post?

Here is a link that might be useful: peppermint stick cake

o

Mark~ Copy the HTML code thing (beside the picture, on the right) and put that directly in your post, wherever you want the picture to show up.

Dan~ You can resize photos by saving them to your album (in photobucket), and then clicking on EDIT right above the picture. They have a whole mess of stuff you can do to them from there. :O)

o

cool! thanks!

o

Linda you do realize this posting will now be FILLED with pics as Dan and Mark try to outdo eachother! lol

Dan that was one freaky pic dude!

I am afraid I'll have to bow out on this month's.. I just gotta catch up in this house before I can commit to anything else! I'll be around, will be happy to bring the swords & whips if necessary.. you just lemme know :P

Hugs,
Wendy

o

Count me in. I missed the last one because of the flu going around. I don't want to miss this one.

Now boys give bunny a break she is going to need it. No putting pee on your brothers side of the car. Boys I Didn't realize you where sooo ummm whats the word .... well .... yeah, love your hat. ummmm better watch out. No "squealing" on your brother.

here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su5vmkCRb08&feature=related

Brownie and tea please. perfer mint tea, but mint Julep sounds good also.

[IMG]http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq112/flynnmarie/quotes and sayings/small_1911581.jpg[/IMG]

o
photo

Did I do something wrong. My photo is still not showing up?

o
RE: new: mnf 'Waiting for Spring' - Nik

nik
I am trying winter sowing for the first time this year also. I hope I did it all right. I am excited to see what happens. (Of course my husband keeps asking if he can throw away all the milk cartons on our back deck, **as I give him "the Look"** and now he knows not to touch them)

I had some sprouts about two weeks ago but with as cold as it got this week I am sure they have probably died I am not sure how in the world they sprouted because it had not been that warm around here I will check them when It warms up a bit, who knows maybe **keeping fingers crossed**. Let me know how yours is going.

Tammy

o

Waiting for spring? I am getting way to antsy for that. I want to grow something NOW! I took out one of the amaryllis bulbs and got it planted.

I am going to get my chives and basil started too that I got from Linda in the Got Chocolate swap.

It is back to the kitchen. Making Thai Lemongrass soup and a French Onion Soup. It is cold outside and this will warm me up.

o

Sign me up! I'm really looking forward to this one. ;)

Diene,
Happy Belated Birthday! Our other thread was full, so wasn't sure where to post. I hope you did something really fun, special on your Birthday!
I went out to eat with my Family to Pepe's! I love Mexican food occasionally. We had a really nice time!
What did you do?

Hugs,
Deb

o

Wendy, since you mentioned the whips and swords, I thought I'd post a picture of what I'd like for Christmas. Boys and their toys, etc, etc, etc. hehehehe
Photobucket

o
another picture of Mark

Was looking through the family photo album and found this picture of Mark after he'd "gone grocery shopping". I'm not too sure where the "store" was, but I lost my appetite!

redneck Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Cook that guy up nice and slow! You can make anything taste good with BBQ sauce!

o

You two are going to be a handful I can see...."passing the catsup"

Hi Tammy and Deb..pull up a rocker and have some cookies...."passing plate"..boys are getting sorta rowdy though..."looking for hickory switch"

o

mmmmmmmmmmmm, barbeque!!!

Linda, if you need a switch, get one from Wendy!!!

As the Baldwin sisters up on Waltons Mountain used to say, "How about a taste or two of the Recipe?" Made it myself!
Moonshine still Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Uuuuugggg! One more day... I can get through it, right?! Wal~Mart has been packed and will be again today! But this really isn't bad.. I'm off Wednesday and Thursday, aside from cooking which I adore doing. Really what has me daunted is Friday... my ENTIRE department- Lawn and Garden- will be on 50% off sale since that's where all the Christmas stuff is. It's already a pain all day trying to take care of everything else and make sure those aisles are reasonably neat and clean. Friday is going to be a nightmare for that! My OCD personality will be going nuts at the mess! A prayer or two would be much appreciated! And any of you going to those sales on Friday, please remember the employees who have to keep all of that cleaned up and somewhat organized!

I'll be around some tomorrow and I'm still really looking forward to this swap! It's what I concentrate on when things get really crazy and hectic at work and managers and customers are getting short tempered with things beyond mortal control! I start dreaming of goodies and I can keep a smile in place!

Kathy

o

Count me in! Who knows what I might miss if I skip one of our swaps? I've been in a seed ordering frenzy!

Joan

o

Where is everyone else for the swap? Dan and I promise to behave if more sign up....

well, sorta behave.

o

I'm not promising to behave.

No.

Way.

o

Boys will be boys....

Thats what my momma always said, guess its true.

Kathy I love the 50% off sales and I will be one of the ones out and about catching as much as I can on sale... Yahoo....
I will be sure to keep everything nice and neat.

BBQ.. hummm.. how about blackened?

Linda please pass more tea ***Sip Sip** I can see the boys are going to be keeping us all entertained on this swap. - I'll have a cookie also... alright a couple of them... "Hey don't take the plate away I promise to save you one"

Shhhhhhh(Where do we hide the baileys) don't want the boys to get ahold of it, could you image them after a couple rounds I don't think the forum would be able to handle them.

o
image... testing

merry christmas Pictures, Images and Photos

Just checking to see if I finally figured out how to post images...

o

Photobucket

There's a reason Mrs. Claus has me on her "Naughty" list. Linda, could you pass me another julep? Thank you.

Y'all have a Merry Christmas!!!

o

Ok, I'm gone for a day, and the boys just go nuts....BAD boys.

No baby, I've just been sick. I'm gonna go crawl back into bed now, I just wanted to tell everyone MERRY CHRISTMAS!! :O)

Ya'll be good now, ya hear??

Merry Christmas Pictures, Images and Photos

o
for dan & mark

We interrupt this thread for a breaking news update:

christmas Pictures, Images and Photos

Now, see what you've caused, boys??

o

But HE STARTED IT!

Any news on baby bunny?????

o

Not only did I start it, but I'm gonna finish it. RIGHT NOW!!! ***whopping Mark a good one and stealing his stocking*** :) Pictures, Images and Photos

o

*** rubbing my head, stars flying around**********

Bunny, do you have some of that special chocolate laying around? I a going to make Dan a batch of VERY special brownies.... Hmmm... Great Dane or Poodle? which one make the better (special) batch for Dan.....

I don't want to make anyone jealous, but we have 65 degrees here in NC on this Christmas Eve. A little light rain, and 70 tomorrow.

Dan, go outside and let me know. Does your tongue stick to the flag pole when you lick it in the weather you are having????

o

Linda, please refill my glass those BOYZ over there knocked it over it there wallygagging....I have to cook so I better pass on the brownies.

Mark I not jealous I live right here good ole NC too ;)!

Bunny, sorry your sick. Wish you would've had that baby by now as I am sure you are too.

Kathy, hang in there. It is almost over! You WILL get through it,,,just breathe and dream of spring.

Dan and Mark this is for youse two...
PhotobucketAll you get is a LUMP of COAL!

EVERYBODY ELSE ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY AND MERRY CHRISTMAS....

Photobucket

:) Fran

o

hey Mark, want some of THESE brownies?

lax Pictures, Images and Photos

o

No other lover ever really cared
When I've reached out for you you've always been there
Now I'm so far away and baby I'm scared
I never knew lonely 'til you

You are my rock and the strength I need
To keep me sane in this life that I lead
Now I'm not with you and my broken heart bleeds

I never knew lonely could be so blue
I never knew lonely could tear you in two
I never loved someone like I love you

I can't make up for the times I've been gone
But I'll prove I love you in the words of this song
Back in your arms girl it's where I belong

Girl I never knew lonely 'til you

Girl I never knew lonely 'til you

o

Anyone ever make seed pots from newspaper? I've been thinking about it, and was wondering what kinds of results anyone got from them. Below is a link to a video I just found which shows how to make them. It seems pretty easy...

Here is a link that might be useful: newspaper seed pots

o

Just checked out that video, Great idea. I'll try some with my indoor starts. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas! Here's a pic of my kids today. Nik
The kids

o

Dan thanks for posting that. I have heard ppl say you didn't need that little pot maker to make those BUT no one ever really explained HOW to do these.
They just say you CAN, I am a visual learner and THIS HELPED SO MUCH!!! Thanks for the lesson!

Linda go ahead and sign me up too I guess. :)!
Thanks

o

Dan,

We make "peat pellets" from recycled paper and rolled newspaper at school. These peat pots are right up the same alley and look good. Thanks for the link. I will try this one as well as the newspaper pellets.

We take a sheet of newspaper, fold it over and over till it is 2 inches wide. Then we roll it like a burrito (or a cigar). Pack them in a tray that will hold water. Add water till they are all soaked, then, add the seeds. Works great and FREE.

By the way Dan, Look in your stocking.... I took the candy already! Na na na na na..

o

Mark, if I understand you right, you don't even use soil in the peat pellets, the newspaper acts as the whole thing, right? Perhaps I'll try both ways this spring to see which one I like best.

By the way, that candy you "stole" out my stocking? Well, I got up early this morning and "borrowed" it out of your stocking after hiding my candy. Bump is the only one, besides me, who knows where my candy is, and there's no way he'll tell you! na na na na na na!

Photobucket

o

Dan,

I don't use any soil when I use the newspaper rolls. I do use some miracle grow in the water when I water. They work REALLY well for peppers and flowers. The tomatoes need a pot though. I'll try to make some over break and take pictures. I still can't get pictures to post right....

BTW: you are in REAL trouble with Bunny now. The candy you stole from my stocking was HERS! All that Dove dark chocolate? It had her name on it. My candy was still under the tree!

o

my turkey is still floating in the tub...wasn't thawed the whole way...guess dinner will be a little late today.."L"

o
RE: question

how many cats does it take to sink a turkey floating in your tub?....

o

Photobucket

Aw....I didn't get any candy in my stocking this year, either... *sniff*

I've been out riding the go-cart all day. Trying to bounce that baby around, get SOMETHING happening. Ugh, things have been stalled so long, I feel like an elephant.
Hopefully, though...the go-cart will work, and I'll have something GOOD to report soon.
Cross your fingers!! :O)

I hope everyone has had a GREAT Christmas!!

Um...Linda? Why are cats sinking your turkey??
*snatching Bailey's bottle away, hiding it in Bump's stocking....*

o

***finding the bailey's in Bump's stocking and drinking it***

Bunny, you can have Mark's candy. Bump found it under the tree and hid it in the attic, behind the old trunk in the far corner, next to the chimney. The candy is in an old straw bag. Let me know if you can't find it. Just don't tell Mark where it is, okay? Be careful up there though, I have a friend guarding the candy...
achmed Pictures, Images and Photos

So Linda, how many attacked the turkey? And how many people besides me knew you weren't kidding when you asked your question?

o

ahh Dan, you know me well....LOL...2 were attacking and three were rooting on the sidelines...the turkey did okay though...made it through the frontlines!

o

"browsing through seed catalogs while sipping mint jewlep and rocking on the veranda"...WOW look at this! Harris seeds has a plant called Ptilotus Joey..it's pretty awesome looking..oh and a new morning glory called Carnival. Territorial Seeds has a poppy called California Mission Bells...."making list" anyone else find anything new and interesting?

o
after Christmas sale

Not sure if all Lowes Hardware have the same clearance sale, but all fall bulbs were 75% off today. I got a pack of 25 paperwhites for $2.50. Check your Lowes if you are in the area. Spring is coming so are the flowers!

o

hmm...going to have to do me some shopping....

o

Sorry gotta sit this one out. I'm worn out from making christmas centerpieces, tired of gold balls and candy canes. gotta rest now, can I have some brownies anyway ? I love Dan's brownies. Bunny are you part elephant ? they carry babies for about 3 yrs.tell mr bunny to chase you around the block, might help.My dh works at lowes and neglects to tell me about bulb sales. bad hubby, happy new year if I sleep thru it. those brownies are strong and smell a little like a skunk. happy holidays carol

o

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
(In case I can't get back before jan 1)

Hope everyone made it through with all those special brownies flying around, turkeys being attacked, and candy being stollen.

o

83 DAYS UNTIL THE 1ST DAY OF SPRING!!!

(and yes, I'm counting! aren't you???)

o

I hope everyone had a WONDERFUL Christmas! We did. The kids got all sorts of stuff and seem rather pleased. Cliff got me several things, including the sapphire ring and pendant set! (YAY!) and I got him a hard case for his rifle, a soft field case, new hunting knife and hunter's vest. It was really funny watching him get so excited!

Yesterday at work was really tiring, trying to keep everything straightened up and clean while folks shopped the 50% sales. I did manage to pick up a few more ornaments to replace the ones that are missing. May pick up a few more things over the next few days. Maybe Wednesday when I'm off I'll go to a few of the other stores around here and see if they have anything I like. Really sucks, ya know, because nothing will measure up to the ones that are missing.

Other than that, things are good :) I'm off New Year's Eve and Day WooHoo!!! And so is Cliff! But we're staying home. Things get too crazy on that night to go out. So we'll sit at home with some munchies and a bottle of bourbon and the bratlings :)

How's everyone else spending New Year's Eve? Any big plans? Maybe Melissa will give us a New Year's Baby!

Kathy

o

okay here's who we have so far that are waiting for spring:

markcase/mark
dan the mailman/dan
jaleesia/kathy
nikkineel/nikki
w9yards/diana
greenthumbgrow/tammy
debya/deb
ejmoore510/joan
ncgardengirl/fran
lindaruzicka/linda

and are diene, and proudgm joining us?..."slipping a little more bailey's in their tea"

Bunny, Wendy and carol aren't joining the swap but they're going to be stopping in for mint julips and stimulating conversation..."G"

anyone who's lurking is more than welcome to join us..we love making new friends.."peering behind the chairs and under the veranda for lurkers who are shy"

o

you know, "spring" could mean sooo many things...

jg springs Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Uuuuuuggggg! Someone shoot me or pour me a drink!!!!!!! I started condensing down the Christmas sale stuff, but those shelves will be soon filled (probably early tomorrow) by ALL the Christmas stuff from all the OTHER departments in the store! But I do have a little light at the end of the tunnel... I was told today that my Lawn and Garden stuff has started coming back from the warehouse!

Hehehe, and DH really loves me, he saw that first line and poured me some bourbon! See, I knew I love him for a reason!

Kathy

o

I am definitely going to make the little newspaper pots. Santa brought me some peat pots but you can never have enough. I can plant pretty much year round since I live in Southern California. I actually still have peppers and tomatoes on my patio that are ripening. Today it was only in the 60's but we are back to the 70's all next week!

Diana

o

Diana, we promise not to throw you in a snowbank if you promise to post pictures of green grass and flowers...LOL!

Kathy, I read about your ring...I just love jewelry and that sounds lovely! I'm glad hubby poured you a drink, sounds like Walmart is going to get a bit busy in the LAwn and Garden department. Also, you can tell us as stuff comes in what going to possibly show up in our Walmart. It's sorta like having our own flower spy!.."L"

Dan, you're having way tooo much fun! Which is great, HEY, that's not SNOW in that picture is it??...."backing away giving the evil eye sign"...

o

nope, that's not snow. it's just a picture of some springs I found on photobucket... hehehe

hey, how about a "springer spaniel"? would that work for this swap???
Springer the Spaniel Pictures, Images and Photos

o

"shaking head"..Dan, Dan, Dan, what am I ever going to do with you?????

o

I've heard THAT a few times before! hehehe

how about a A Spring Chicken Pictures, Images and Photos

o

"sigh"..that is just so wrong..."L"

o

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a Wonderful Christmas!!!

I thought I would spend some quiet time on the computer, so what happens, I come here and have to hear the boys bickering! LOL

Just thought I would pop in and say hi! I won't be joining again this month, just been too busy around here and working a lot of hours. I hope it starts to slow down, everyone realized they have met their deductable with the ins. company and wants surgery before the end of the year, then we will be having a couple months followed of all the post op checks, then, maybe, it will slow down a bit.

Linda, good luck keeping those boys in line! I'll just sit quietly and watch LOL *reaching for tea and cookies*

Vic

o

Ohh can I join in on the fun? I'd love to sign up!

Toni

o

Around here, one of the first signs of Spring is the return of the robins...
spring Pictures, Images and Photos

What about where you live???

o

Hi Toni...sure..c'mon in..."handing you a juplip and a browine"

The first sign of spring here are robins also and crocus blooming!

I did some shopping around yesterday for this swap..."humming"

o

Thanks for the refreshments...WOW that's quite the julip recipe tasty though. MMMM and the brownie is devine. Thank you :)

First sign of Spring here is the wild Daffodils popping up out the the ground and the deer coming out of the woods and feeding on the newly sprouting grass. We don't see them much until it starts to warm up a bit...then their bellies are HUGE and they look ready to explode.

I received a wonderful trade of crocus so will have them coming up this Spring :)

o

Toni Great to have ya. The boys have been acting up a lot on this one. Guess its because of being shut up in the house and all because of that **bad word "snow"** shhh don't let linda know I said that. Also a word of warning beware of the brownies they like to add misc ingredients to the batch they call "oregano"

Hows the bunny?

The first signs of spring here are the crocus also. I love to see them because I know soon I will be seeing my daffs and tulips soon after. Its amazing how exciting it can be seeing the first ones popping up. I love it.

Kathy I thought of you the other day. I was out and about hitting all the sales. I bought TONS of stuff. Also got lots for the swap. As I looked at the shelfs and the people throwing stuff everywhere I thought of you and made sure I straighten up as much as I could.

Tammy

o

Hiya everyone! Just poppin' in to say hi! The Chocolate Swap wrapped up and I was feelin' lonely over there..lol

Linda I feel for you w/ that Christmas mess girl! whew! I happily stayed home and decided to work on my seeds packs instead and feel like I actually accomplished something for once! :P

Has NOONE heard from Melissa/bunny?????? I'm gettin a lil worried about her!! Haven't seen her since what, Christmas day when she was out 4-wheeling, right? LOL that's our girl.. :-)

Hugs everyone!
~Wendy

o

maybe we have a new bunny?..."rubbing hands together"

I was just outside walking the dogs. It's 47 here today and actually really nice out. I also added to my compost bin and threw some leaves on top of what I added.

Anyone see anything special in the seed catalogs yet?...I just signed up for a few more. Do you prefer to look at them on line or sit down with a hot beverage and browse? I'm the hot beverage browsing type. I was browsing through seed catalogs the other day and writing down what looked good...then when I went through my seeds later, I found two packs of what I was looking at in my seed box..duh...better work on getting my list current!!!

o

Bunny, is fine, she DID pop into the BB thread to say everyone had been sick and she is having some 'spotting' and is going to get that checked out, so everyone keep your fingers crossed everything is a ok and it will not be long now. I am thinking a New Year's BABY!

Woo, I think I should stick with the 'tea' the julip seem to knock me on my hinny...hehe.

'bout time you stepped over here Miss Thang, now since you are here maybe the boys will calm down, they don't want you breaking out with those whips, chains, and that sword again! LOL.

o

lol Tammy,

I saw that strange lookin oregano up there...is that what made the brownies taste so different?

Oh don't mention that four letter word!! I've had my fill of the "S" word! We don't get nice powdery fluffy snow, it's ice, sleet and slush and then it freezes to a solid mess, then the same thing happens all over again until it finally decideds to rain and then we have flooding :o/ and NOBODY knows how to drive in it. They expect to be able to throw it in 4 wheel and it makes them invincible.

Had a chuckle when we went out after Christmas cause there was STILL slush everywhere. All the shopping centers parking lots were solid slush and ice, but if you take your time and don't stop in an area where you can't get traction, you're fine. Well I went out the back way from the parking lot and there was an SUV coming from the opposite direction. He saw me coming and decided to floor it so that I would have to stop on the slope. Well I slowed way down but didn't completely stop as he spun out in front of me. He did a complete 360 and then went an additional 180 and went up over the curb and got stuck. hehe served him right! I drove past him and waved and smiled. shame on me

o

We had such a beautiful day here today. 68 degrees and sunny. I went outside, raked leaves from some of my beds, started to dig up my peppermint and found out it was still alive! I was so happy! We planted those iris tubers and double daffodils that I got on clearance from Walmart. I winter sowed about 8 containers and had a blast.

Oh, I wasn't supposed to brag about our good weather because so many of you still have the 4 letter S word? Let me change our day then: It was 5 below, wind gusts making the chill 24 below. We had ice on top of the snow we already had. Purely lousy day. It stunk..... feel better now?

I was looking through the Harris Seed catalog (www.harrisseeds.com) and saw the Ptilotus "Joey". WOW! I want some!!!! $7 for 25 seeds. Not sure if this is an annual or perennial though. Another $4 for shipping makes me say "well.... not"

They also have a Pumpkin Pepper. Sounds kinda cool.

o

that's the same seed I was looking at Mark...wonder if it's in any other catalog...it's a REALLY cool plant though..."drooling"...

o

Linda ~ I am really pining for that 'Commotion Tizzy' flower in the Park Catalog... but it's only avail in plant form as most of the grand ones are! lol

Fran ~ I'm glad you heard from miss bunny! Will keep her in my thoughts & prayers for sure, thanks for letting me know. :)

Lol dirtdiggin that sounds like somethin' I'd do! :P I suppose I shouldn't brag I was in shorts and a t-shirt again today. But again, at least you have real winters! My poor plants don't know whether to grow or stay dormant !

Mark ~ that is a cute plant! They have it at seedrack.com for $4.39 for 10 seeds, not much more of a bargain truly, but you can always search for more seedsites that carry it. Also, it's an Annual, I checked it out :)

Hugs everyone!
~Wendy

o

That Ptilotus "Joey" is also available in the jungs catalog, not sure how much though.

o
joey

Is the Ptilotus Joey a self seeder or a sterile hybrid so you have to buy seeds every year? I can't find out much more information.

o
re: what!

you mean they would do that to us??...make it sterile??..that would just suck!

o

Hi all! Talk about waiting for spring, I've been hangin out in the wintersowing forum. Going nuts trying to find more containers. I sure do wish I knew who my partner was so I could do some shopping while I'm off...
Dan, those springs in the snow are creepy. Think spring.... happy, colorful, pink, GREEN!!!! Nik

o

LOL sassy...it's that mean streak in me hehe :) But looks like you have one too. In shorts and a t-shirt...I'M JEALOUS!!!!!

Went and dug strawberries today. The beauty of wild strawberries is that they just don't go away, even in the freezing weather :) Have a trade that I made way back before the snow hit and bless his heart, he's been so patient. Told him I have an 8 lb package on its way hehe the PO will love me :oP I LOVE Flat rate boxes...cause I fill them to the top! :) hehe Made sure to include some dirt so the berries can survive that 2-3 day trip across the US. After all, they may end up on a shelf somewhere...probably right next to my package of Christmas gifts that hasn't arrived yet and they can't find it. And they need to have moisture and food...well they have PLENTY...5-6 lbs worth :oD

o

CONGRADULATIONS BUNNY

email from Bunny
SHE'S HERE!!!!!

Lilian Alaya was born at 2:07am today (Dec 30).
She is 7 lbs 10oz and 19 1/4" long.
Labor was fast, and she was delivered by her DADDY.
She is dark complected like her brother Elijah - the Cherokee coming out in her (yay, I finally got another one that looks like ME instead of daddy!!)
She's doing GREAT, I'm doing fine....just feel like I've been run over by a mack truck. :O)
Hopefully, I'll be up & running in a few days.

Hugs to all!

Melissa

o

Awww almost a new years baby :)

CONGRATS Bunny!

o

Yea Baby Bunny is here! I better watch my chocolate cabbage plants! Bunnies will be nibbling at them soon!

Congrats Melissa!

Photobucket

o

YAAAHHHOOOOOOOEEEEEYYYYY!!!!!! I am so thankful she came and everybody is healthy. Been prayin.... Nik

o

Bunny had a li'l Bunny! WAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! And she's a cutie too!

baby rabbit Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Congrats! I am so glad the waiting is over for you! I am sure she is beautiful! Melinda

o

thank goodness!! I thought we'd have to plant a cabbage patch to get her to come out!

o

And she is SOOOOOOO precious!!!!! Congrats Melissa and family, Lili is gorgeous!!!!!!

You did good!

HUGS,
Kat

o

Happy New Year Pictures, Images and Photos

-Dan & Bump

o

I have just enough time to share a picture, for those I couldn't get an email to. :O)
Here's Daddy & Lili a little bit after she was born.

Photobucket

I hope everyone has a GREAT New Years!
Stay Safe!!! :O)
Hugs,
Melissa

o

She is beautiful!! But we knew she would be! Melinda

o

Happy New Year to each of you. May 2009 bring you health, wealth, gorgeous gardens, love, peace and the Brightest of Blessings :) I love you all and feel so honored to have you each as part of my family.

HUGS
Kathy

o

Happy New Year! How about this for a New Year's Party? I have three friends over and they loved all the plants in my living room. So, what did I do? Showed them the GW! Now, we are all looking over seed catalogs and drooling..

Photobucket

Me tomorrow morning. Nope. Not a Bailey's hangover! From looking at the seed catalogs till midnight!

o

THE BALL HAS DROPPED!!!

WELCOME TO 2009 Pictures, Images and Photos

o

"laughing at Mark enabling his friends"..good way to start the new year.

Dan, have a Bailey's on me!!

o

I'm in too!! Chris

o

aren't you a bit too far away for me to have a bailey's ON you? how about I have one WITH you instead??? that would make me more comfortable...
of course, if we had some more brownies with the bailey's, we'd both be feeling pretty comfortable, wouldn't we?
hehehe

o

Linda,

Growlikecrazy is a newbie. I have told Chris about the swaps. Is Chris comes over here, how about letting her play?

Mark

o

I've already sent Chris an email in response to hers. We love to make new friends and enable...err...I mean share seeds!,..."L"

o
RE: baileys

okay Dan...maybe it was the wine I had last night...Bailey's with you not on you..ROTF! My neighbor came over last night about 11:30 with this huge bottle of wine. so we all drank in the New Year, toasted friendship...needless to say, I'm drinking tea this morning...very..very ..slowly..."L"

o
RE: just some ideas...

I thought I would throw out some ideas for this swap in case people were wondering what to send with their seeds...as I said..this is a simple fun swap..nothing to break the piggy bank on:

some ideas: garden themed
stickers
note cards
gardening gloves
interesting article you found on line or in your newspaper on gardening
seed envelopes (either bought or made)
markers
a cool seed catalog
windchimes
bubble envelopes
bubble wrap
blank address labels
pens
notebook
treats (as if this group doesn't like treats.."L")

these are just examples...feel free to add your own uniqueness to your box!

o

Cliff and I rang in the New Year at home with the bratlings, a bottle of Jack and lots of munchies! Subs, hot wings, chips, salsa, queso, mozzarella sticks, pizza rolls, cookies, mixed nuts, spicy nuts and cheezit party mix. I made the kids their favorite punch made with ginger ale, tropical punch koolaide and rainbow sherbert. We watched tv, watched the countdown show and toasted in the New Year at midnight! It was a wonderful night and much better than going out somewhere to a club and being charged $50+ per person and dealing with all the drunks, fights and cops. At midnight I got to be a "first" for Cliff since he'd never kissed *his* woman at midnight ever before. Not when dating and not with his ex.

We had a great time... and by the way, we discovered something delicious last night. Take a Totino's Pizza Roll.. we had the combination ones, and dip it it queso! OMG! It was SOOOOOO good! The bratlings enjoyed getting to have all the junk food that they don't normally get to have and they really like that punch.

So, how did everyone else spend New Year's Eve?

Kathy

o

we had a fire and talked about what the new year will bring and what we would like to change from the old year. Then as I said, my neighbor came over with some wine and we toasted the new year and good friends..."S"

o
RE: new: mnf 'Waiting for Spring' Addition

I wanted to add to Linda's list of ideas some things that I enjoy getting:

Plant food
Epsom salts
Garden Bed plans using the seeds you send
labels (peel and stick type) Can find these at the dollar stores sometimes
Garden kitchka... things like small garden statues made of poly resin (Gotta love Dollar Tree!)
Recipes.. everyone here enjoys good recipes, share your favorites!
paper bags, the small lunch size ones- for seed drying
small ziplock baggies- for storing seed packets
manila envelopes or small snap lid plastic saver containers for storing seeds
cheap knee-hi stockings- again for seed saving- used to bag seedheads to catch the seeds Dollar stores and walmart have these for like .33 each
small calendars
hand lotion to smooth away the garden wear!
scented candles
body scrubs, works great to get all the dirt off your hands and smooths away the rough spots from gardening
jiffy pellets for seed starting
small pots/containers for seed starting. The small ones that come stacked like 10 to a package.

Oh, and I think I've decided for my birthday this year I'm gonna tell Cliff and the kids that I want enough topsoil and manure to finish all my beds into raised beds :) Perhaps they'll find me some edging too to keep the beds from being washed away in the rain. And maybe some more containers to keep my seeds organized in too.

o

Sounds like Dan & Mark partied a little too much... But, boys will be boys. :O)
Ummm....And Linda....Hmmmm....
Well, that's not too much of a deviation from normal, is it?? :O)
Good to know ya'll are(n't) behaving while I'm away!

I actually had a mug of hot chocolate WITHOUT GETTING HEARTBURN!! Yay!
That was MY New Year's celebration! LOL
Ah...it's the little things, isn't it?? :O)

o

I think Dan came over and spiked my punch! I woke up with a headache. It may have been the 6 eleven year old boys that stayed the night too and didn't go to bed till 4 AM!

We made homemade pizza, homemade dips, baked cookies, all that fun stuff. The boys had a blast making the cookies and no girls around to tease them! I think they ate as much batter as we baked.

BTW: I wear a mans XL gloves if anyone ever sends me those!

o

Just wanted to stop by and say.....

new year rainbow Pictures, Images and Photos

Hope we all have a great 2009!!!
Vic

o

markcase/mark
dan the mailman/dan
jaleesia/kathy
nikkineel/nikki
w9yards/diana
greenthumbgrow/tammy
debya/deb
ejmoore510/joan
ncgardengirl/fran
lindaruzicka/linda
dirtdiggin/Toni
grolikecrazy/Chris

and I'm not sure about the following gardeners, if you'd like in..please let me know.."S"
diene
proudgm
Ilovefarac/melinda
carol

Looks like we're gathering a good crowd..

if anyone else has ideas for boxes, please feel free to post. Good list Kathy..."scribbling down on my list".."L"

o

HAPPY NEW
YEAR EVERYBODY

Sorry so late in Wishing You all a Happy New 2009, I was asleep at midnight....went to bed around 9 pm, wasn't feeling to great. Still feel hazy, kind of weird.
Thanks Mark, it is good to know what size hands ppl have. It is hard to send gardening gloves when you don't know which size to send.

o

I didn't want to say "Upgrade to Pro today" LOL
I wanted to say
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Hey Mark, when you do the paper pellets, is this what they look like when done? And about 2" high?
I've been sitting here folding a paper for about an hour and this is the only thing I can come up with.

Photobucket

Dan, thanks for the link for the paper pots! That was helpful.

Vic

o

My New Year was actually a sober one, the first time in a few years. Bump and I spent the evening watching movies, and making bids on plants on e-bay. We watched the ball drop online, then we went into the living room for some reading, where we woke up around 2am. Today it was more movies, and winter-sowing. I planted 16 jugs today, over a dozen types of grass, chocolate foxglove, and black hollyhocks. I received some more mandevilla vines in the mail yesterday, and they are now happily resting in the aquarium in the livingroom. I had a 29-gallon aquarium which I've turned into a terrarium, and it has mandevillas, moudry grass, and some flowers in it. It's really cool to look at, and it keeps the plants safe from Bump too!
Now I'm waiting for wal-mart to put out the plastic greenhouses so I can do some more winter-sowing!

78 MORE DAYS UNTIL SPRING!!!

Photobucket

o

What to put in my box? Well, food is always good....

which reminds me... I'm hungry.

o

Happy New Year's everyone!!! :) We're all still in our pj's... LOL We've been playing Guitar Hero w/ my daughter all morning long. :)

Hugs everyone!
~Wendy

o

Vic,

That's close to what the kids do. When they get wet, they push together tighter. We water with a weak miracle grow mixture and the paper gives the substrate. We have very good success with it.

o
signs of spring

It was cold outside today, but guess what was poking it's head up out of my mulch?

crocus

o

Happy New Year everyone! At midnight, we were out in the yard with kids and adults banging pots and pans together - a tradition shared with us by a friend. Today, Sarah Kate and I wintersowed about 4 containers, then we went to have lunch with extended family. A very sweet New Year's for us. Miss my oldest, he likes to spend time with friends right now more than family. I know he had fun watching the football games.
That tulip is pretty Mark! My daffs have been poking out green leaves for a couple of weeks now. I hope they are going to be ok till spring. I went a little nuts this year with the bulbs...
More ideas for the waiting for spring swap:
Wintersowing containers
jiffy pots
plant markers (old blinds work great!)
Anything to help with seed organization (a cute box, envelopes, baggies....)
SEEDS, of course
Indoor seed starting stuff
I hope everyone has a great day tomorrow! Nik

o

Ahhh the crocus "Springing" from the ground...always a sure sign of Spring :) k blast it, I'm done with winter, let Spring be Sprung!!! We're expecting MORE of the four letter "S" word :o( Got lots of stuff to get done though before I can plant. We're extending the garden by about 15 times this year...WOOOOHOOOO!!! Got hubby going with Spring Feaver lol. He doesn't even mind anymore when I "buy" MORE seeds lol :)

o

Thanks Mark! I have LOTS of newspaper but not so much potting mix so that will help with the wsing.
And I am sooo jealous of your crocus!!

It sure is quiet in here today, that's unusual! LOL

Vic

o

OK Mark, I think you need to give us lessons on the 'paper pellets' we's need to sees YOU making them, pics PLEASE....don't leave us hanging in the dark like this.
Causes Ima Little Confussuled...and we all know by now that it doesn't take much to get me to this state!
(Ok Mark you and Dan can stop laughing now, Dan is ALWAYS laughing at ME! BUNNY GET HIM!)
Isa gonna go lurk somewhere else now....and sip on my Tea.

:)Fran

o

Happy New Year All;
I really had no intentions of joining as I am not very good with seeds but I do harvest lots every year so I guess I can easily put a box together.
I do enjoy this group because there are always new people to meet. For anyone who has not introduced themselves, don't be shy.
I live in the wonderful state of Maine where we have four seasons, near winter, winter, almost winter and summer. We are in the beginning of winter now and have about a foot of snow on the ground. That is down from the two feet we had last week but they are threatening more this weekend. You do not live here if you do not like snow. I have yet to start cross country skiing but if it gets above twenty tomorrow, I hope to get out there and start. I live by the ocean and across the street from a state park so I have lots of room to ski. I have been gardening my whole life and my goal is to have flowers year round. I am cultivating some lenten roses and snowdrops as they are the best chance at a winter bloom.
My favorite flowers are lilies (day, oriental, asiatic, trumpet and orienpets) and I have way too many of them. Having said that, I received an e-mail last night from one of the vendors with a special sale and I found myself checking the Eureka to see if I wanted to buy some. Fortunately, I came to my senses before ordering.
I am working on a new vegetable garden at my house this year, I have a rather large one at a friend's house but this would be just some special stuff for me. I may concentrate on flowering herbs since it is in the front of the house.
I just counted and I have eleven distinct gardens in my yard at this point and have plans for a few more. Sometimes I think I should be committed.
I live in a neighborhood where they hire people to work on their landscape so most of my neighbors think I am nuts. Not sure why I went on like this but I would love to know more about some of the newbies. My DH says I am nosy but I like to think I am just being friendly.
Did I say I was in, Linda? If not, I am.
diene

o

Welcome Diene!

Hey! With all that snow, does that mean you have snowberry and snowflake daisy and snow bells and snow plant and snow-in-the-summer plants?

here is that snow plant:
Photobucket

Sorry, couldn't resist. Kids will be kids. even big ones.

o

bunny own Pictures, Images and Photos

See what you started Fran? LOL!

o

That snow plant looks rather interesting, but I don't have any conifers :(

Welcome, Diene! I'm glad you're joining in!!

Kathy

o

I'll get some pictures or video of making newspaper pellets later today or tomorrow.

o

More box ideas:

Teas, coffees- most of us here drink them and enjoy a variety, share some of YOUR favorites!

Kathy

o

Diene, I'm so happy that you can join us! Don't worry about your neighbors thinking you're nuts, I"m sure alot of our neighbors think the same thing.."L". Just wait until I put out my winter sowing jugs!

markcase/mark
dan the mailman/dan
jaleesia/kathy
nikkineel/nikki
w9yards/diana
greenthumbgrow/tammy
debya/deb
ejmoore510/joan
ncgardengirl/fran
lindaruzicka/linda
dirtdiggin/Toni
grolikecrazy/Chris
diene

and I'm not sure about the following gardeners, if you'd like in..please let me know.."S"

proudgm
Ilovefarac/melinda
carol

Lots of great box ideas! I think I might write them all down for further reference!

o

I hadn't intended to join either, but I am always reading these threads and following them! And of course, I too have traded with Bunny and always look forward to it! I would just love to cuddle up that baby and smell that wonderful baby smell! (oops-not always!)I'm going to be in the area in the next week or so and maybe she will even allow me to come and visit the new one!! I am hoping sometime in the next spring or summer, she will come and visit me and let her kids run wild with my grandsons and we can have a nice light lunch! But have to wait until I get my gardens cleaned out! This past year was a bummer for being able to work in the yard-tore that knee ligament and wasn't in much!
Anyway, there are some great people here! So I guess, I will also join!
Thanks, Melinda
Hope everyone had a great New Year! I watched the ball drop by myself and then went to sleep! That was my idea of a good evening at the time!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Round Robin Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here