Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrs4ever

UPDATE: Secret Santa Thanks, games, recipes and more(#3)

flwrs4ever
12 years ago

Post your thanks here, recipes are welcome, riddles, jokes..and remember to go to the rate and review forum to post for those that mailed to you !

Keep checking for BINGO !

Anyone have a Christmas Tradition they would like to share ? What was a childhood gift you still remember ?

Comments (150)

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

# cards guess: 1,986 since we got married in December of 1986 twenty five years ago & celebrating all month.

Corrine

• kellyk49
    12 years ago

Thank you to Susan, Barbara, Angela, Donald, Debby and Janine for all of the beautiful cards AND seeds! They are very appreciated this holiday season.

• graanieb
    12 years ago

Kevin, sorry about your sister, prayers she recovers soon.

Darrin, glad you like the recipes, thanks for the sites, know there are others who'll be quiet but as long as they cook some and enjoy, it's good for everyone to eat healthy and tasty. I've been sorting my recipes almost all aftn'n, looked for holiday ones, now need a break. What I do is make things , get ideas here and there ,blend with my own, try it then write it down, sometimes not exactly but am trying to write it as soon as I make it.
    Got 2 warm cards ...
    from Susan ( Browneyed Susan)with Coreopsis " Red shiff" and Salvia "White Texas" (p)...and from Rob (Pash) a pkt of Kale " Russian Hunger Gap"--all my wants, thank you very much both, wishing you and yours blessings, health and joy.

My guess is 1234 cards.

I can't find my Bingo card, have 4 words! :)

Memories, have em lots, soon.

HUGS to all and Merry Christmas!

Bea

• rosemctier
    12 years ago

What a lovely trip to the mailbox today!! I got cards from wvcardinal, who sent a foxglove mix, one of my favorites; nottougly, who sent black knight scabiosa, black ball bachelor buttons, and Japanese mg mix�a great state to the gothic garden I am working on; dem-pa sent knoila�s black mgs�more goth :), a columbine mix that sounds lovely, and golden sweet snow peas�score! Now I don�t have to buy them lol; and knufflebunnyfarmer, who sent birdhouse gourd seeds, which I really need! What a beautiful reminder of the beauty and generosity of the holiday season!! Happy dance commencing! thank you all!

my guess is 2929 :)

• perkybarb
    12 years ago

Kevin,
    So sorry to hear about your sister. Thoughts and prayers your way!
    Barbara C. PerkyBarb

• cashclan
    12 years ago

My guess is 1860 cards

Kevin I'm praying for your sister. We have had MRSA go around and around in our household, we had three families move in with us because of drug problems with the fathers, MRSA came with one of the families. The way we finally got rid of it was to swap the inside of our nostrils every morning and evening for about 8 months with bactraban, the doctor had to give us a prescription for it it. MRSA colonizes in your nostrils so you might want to try that if y'all end up having a continuing problem with it.
    (((HUGS to everyone)))
    Sharon

• poisondartfrog
    12 years ago

I thought I posted a guess, but I don't see it so I'll try again. 1831
    Alana

• perkybarb
    12 years ago

Received a very nice card with datura seeds from mchill360 today. Thanks so much. I just love daturas.
    PerkyBarb

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Christmas cheer came my way today with two hand addressed cards on the same day just for me!

Seeds were carefully taped under a flap of bubble wrap inside the cards.

T ... h ... a ... n... k .......... Y ... o ... u
    browneyedSusan - Susan
    Chasmanthium latifolium - Northern Sea Oats for my shady backyard. What a lovely classic silver snow scene card with Canadian geese & trees prettily arranged!

flowergirl34 - Vina
    Rudbeckia hirta Indian Summer - glorisa daisy
    Rudbeckia lacinata 'Autumn Sun' - cutleaf coneflower
    Aquilegia Black Barlowe
    Here's a big holiday howdy back to you Vina! Your card made me laugh with the bunkhouse comment tucked under the seeds & Santa riding a reindeer on the front.

Merry Christmas & holiday cheer for all of you,
    Corrine

• aggiebee
    12 years ago

A big thank you to browneyedsusan for the lovely card and the two packets of seeds -- white fall allium and white lily. They will be perfect for the moon garden I am planning.

• klorentz
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes for my sister and family.Sharon thanks for the advise.I will pass that info to my family.

Rather embarrassed about this. My curious great niece and nephew got hold of some of the cards sent and mixed around the packets.seeds are still there I just don't know for certain where some came from.Also a couple cards got stowed somewhere around here so when I find them I will post about them too.Note to Self..Next time as cards come in write down who and what they sent.If I miss anyone or what you sent know your seeds and kindness is very very much appreciated .

From Danthemailman Spacemaster Cucumber
    From Ljaynine Larkspur,Calendula,and California Poppy

Puffie: Hollyhock

dem-Pa Sweetpea,Larkspur,and Dianthus

Paulan 70 : Marigold Mix and Purple Wave Petunia

• retsec
    12 years ago

Received a pretty snowflake card today from mchill with dwarf ornamental corn seed. Can't wait to get them planted. Thank you, Michelle.
    Nancy
    retsec

• Melinda Hagen
    12 years ago

My guess is 1363. So sorry to hear about your sister, Kevin! Will be keeping you and her in my prayers!
    May everyone have a good evening! Melinda

• smitties
    12 years ago

My guess for cards is 789. I have fallen behind in my thank you's for the cards I have received in the past few days. It has been an adventure to the mailbox everyday. I want to thank the following for their lovely cards, seeds, and greetings.

Daveedgeguitar- Marigold, chamomile, and pie pumpkin
    Don-Globe thistle, cleome
    Debby - oat grass, beefsteak tomato
    clc70 - nicotina,globe thistle, Hare's tall grass, sea holly, marigold, carex grass, nasturtium, carex, another nicotiana
    perkyBarb -nicotiana, butternut squash, globe thistle
    Lisa/Ishare - cleome, 3 varietky, sea holly, & liatris,
    janine - nicotiana, cleome, and flat sea holly
    barefootgardener12- three varieties of peppers
    browneyedsusan- three varieties of ornamental grass
    Rudolph25 - two varieties of peppers
    dan-sweet banana pepper

You may notice that I have received some duplicates but with 5 acres to grow on, no seed shall go unplanted.

Thank you to all who have made each day such fun to go out in the nasty weather to the mailbox by the road. :)

Margo

• browneyedsusan_gw
    12 years ago

It is so exciting to go to the mailbox these days!
    Thanks to :
    rbrady for Clematis stans, Foxglove mix, and purple penstemon.

dem-pa for "Warm Gold" Portulaca, Columbines (Purple, pink and white-I love Columbines), Siberian Blues Dianthus, Asters and Penstemon hirsuitus

Jaynine for Zinnia "chippendale", Mirabilis jalapa "Limelight", Digitalis mertonensis

Thank you all for your great generosity!
    Susan

• jas_il
    12 years ago

More cards for me in past two days. Wow! I really love this swap.

Debby_1 - sent me nice "Let it Snow" card with Hosta and Zinnia seed. Thanks a lot.

pseudacris_crucifer - sent me pretty christmas tree card with
    Estonian red hardneck garlic bulbils. Wow! I was really looking for it.
    Nootka rose Softneck garlic bulbils. Love it
    Garlic chives and Golden Alexander flower seed. Thanks a lot.

nottougly (Faye) - sent me beautiful bear card with
    Fiber optic grass (wow my most wanted)
    Marigold french vanilla (One of my favorites love it)
    Swiss Chard (very much wanted too) Thank you so much can't wait to grow them.

Don dem_pa - sent me pretty candle card with 3 types of Beans. I Love beans and grow every year. Very excited.
    Cherokee trail of tears beans
    Christmas pole lima bean
    Blue gray green beans
    Thank you so much can't wait to grow them.

Ed (salsa canner) - sent me pretty snowman card loved it and 6 packs of seeds.
    Mixed Tomato seeds
    Black eyed susan yellow
    Pepper hungarian wax (one of my favs)
    Pimiento Jalapeno pepper
    French dwarf dbl Marigold (wow)
    Zinnia 'lillyput mix'
    Thanks you so much.

Lauren - sent me cute christmas tree card with 11 packs of seeds. Wow!
    Marigold yellow tall
    Marigold joylly jester
    Black eyed susan vine (Wow! love it)
    Nasturtium 'milk maid' (my fav! nice one)
    Nasturtium king theodore
    Ornamental fringed kale (another fav! very pretty)
    Tomato Rozoviy flamingo
    Zinnia purple prince
    Zinnia California giant
    Salvia patens 'blue angel'
    Blue lobelia
    Thank you so much. Can't wait to grow them all.

Simply wow! Thanks again for sending me cards! It was so much fun!

Merry Christmas and a very Happy and Blessed New Year to all!

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

Many thanks to puffie for the violet queen cleome. Cleome is something that Mom specifically requested for me to plant in her garden next year. She remembers it from past gardens when Dad was alive.

• cryptid
    12 years ago

Received another fabulous card-n-seeds, this time from from canyonwind (Annie). The card features a jolly, near Coca Cola type, laughing/smiling Santa, circularly framed against a white background with berried holly, containing the following seeds,...

Mountain Princess Tomato: HEIRLOOM Mountain sweet goodness! Grown for generations in the Monongahela National Forest region of West Virginia. Fruits are 8-10 oz, orange-red and perfectly round with a mild tomato flavor. Very productive plants bear quick and early. Works well in containers. Determinate (Lycopersicon esculentum) - Days to maturity:68 days

Silvery Fir Tree Tomato: Loving this! See, here's the thing,...I actually included this variety on my Wish List by mistake, as I already had some "Botanical Interests" seeds of these,...but then I decided to gift them to another SSSS participant, here, and off they went. The freakish beauty is, thanks to my listing error, now I'm receiving seeds of this unique variety back! Wild, huh?! Certainly happys me up I'm tellin' ya! I've never before been actually pleased to have screwed up in such a manner!

Silver Queen Corn: A classic, and the best white sweet corn variety available in the market. A very high yielder, Silver Queen Corn Seeds produce 8 to 9 inch ears on 8 foot stalks - each ear contains 14 to 16 rows of sweet mouth-watering white kernels.

This swap totally rocks!!

-Darrin

• alwaysagarden
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,I got a wonderful surprise of 7 cards in the mail!!
    Fantastic selection of seeds from the following people...
    amoeba-meba
    jaynine
    amber roses
    Debby-1
    ishareflowers
    salsa canner
    dem-pa

Will list later what each person sent, in a bit of a time crunch right now.
    Love all the pretty Christmas cards and blessings to each of you for your warm generosity. I will be very busy next Spring! Thank you all so very much. :))

Cindy

• Margie Crawford
    12 years ago

Happy Holidays! More fun mail - this is awesome.

Thank you barefootgardner12 for Zinnia Purple Prince and Violet Queen and Rudbeckia Cappucino.

And thank you Paulan70 for Great Blue Lobelia, Red Cardinal Flower and Mixed Columbine.

Thanks for the great cards and for sending some of my wishes. Can't wait to grow these.
    Margie

• yotetrapper
    12 years ago

Hey guys, been real busy, got some cards to post about. Makes the day better to find a bit of Christmas cheer in the mailbox!

Thanks noottougly for the crazy daisies and creeping zinnia, been wanting to try creeping zinnia for a few years now!

Dem PA, thanks very much for the Dixie speckled butter peas and Utah Celery, can't wait to grow them next year!

knufflebunnyfarmer, thanks for the cayenne pepper seeds! Want to try to make my own hot sauce from them next year!

Rudolph25. thanks so much for the Tenderpod green beans, giant flowered scarlet Queen zinnias, malva zebrina, cayenne peppers, hollyhocks and mixed zinnias. Zinnias are one of my favorite flowers...so simple, care free, and bright!

• alwaysagarden
    12 years ago

1250 is my card total guess Kym.

Cindy

• yotetrapper
    12 years ago

Oh, and my guess is 705.

• ptp813
    12 years ago

Yay!! Received some cards today!
    Many thanks to:
    WV Cardinal for the columbine mix
    Don/dem-pa for the rue and pygmy torch amaranthus
    ishare for the really cool snowman card and the seeded paper stocking (never seen that before...really neat..thx) also the heliopsis summer sun seeds

Thanks so much for your generosity!

• molly_and_me
    12 years ago

Thank you all for the seeds and cards. They are making a difficult time a lot better.

Annie - canyonwind - a precious nativity card, Profusion Zinnias (coral pink and white) and blackberry lilies. The zinnias are at the top of my wish list and the lilies will be added to a special flower bed that already contains other types of bulbs that Annie has sent.

Debby - Debby_1 - a gorgeous red bird card, wisteria seeds and Bright Lights cosmos, an all-time favorite.

Alana - poisondartfrog - a cute snowman card and Split Second morning glory seeds. I already have a fence reserved for them. They were on my list of seeds to buy.

Puffie (love that name)- neat handmade card with shining Christmas tree lights and purple cosmos seeds, an all-time favorite.

Don - dem-pa - cute card with a snowman and lots of snow, and some of his favorite seeds.
    I love it when I receive "favorites" and these will most likely become some of my favorites.
    Eastern Penstemon, Milkshake Verbascum, and Pygmy Torch Amarantus.

Rhonda - rbrady - card with a collage of Christmas items including a snowman riding a reindeer, so cute - toad lily seeds (much wanted) and Digitalis lutea - another one labeled a favorite, love it. They will both make wonderful additions to my shade flower beds.

Vina - flowergirl134 - card has a "Big Holiday Howdy" and Santa riding a reindeer, cute. She sent two of her favorites. I can tell by looking at the flowers that they will be some of my favorites too! Indian Summer Rudbeckia and Crazy Daisy.

Thanks again. All of the seeds will all be planted and loved. If I can't get them planted DH will.

My cards and seeds will be mailed on Monday. If my health problems and limited resources mean that you will not get a card from me this year please know that you are in my thoughts.

In my dreams I sent cards and oodles of seeds to everyone!

Margaret

• cryptid
    12 years ago

"Aaaaaarrrgh!!" Sorry Don (dem_pa),...I somehow totally neglected to mention the wonderful Red Pear Tomato seeds you included with the others you sent!! Welllll,...really, y'know, y'gotta admit, though, the minizip is actually ultra-mini, in this case, and a bit easy to overlook, eh?! ;)

• retsec
    12 years ago

CARD GUESS - 1952

• nottougly
    12 years ago

My guess for the cards is 2250
    Faye!

• katkni
    12 years ago

My guess on teh # of cards is 3001.

• keiki
    12 years ago

First I want to thank Kym for hosting this again, it always gives me the warm and fuzzies! I found cards and seeds in my mailbox for the second time.

Many thanks to Jaynine for the zinnia elegans super yoga 'rose', verbena bonarnis (love love love these) and yellow pear tomatos. That zinnia sounds lovely and right up my alley, I cant wait to try it. I grow yellow pear every year but somehow I found myself without seeds, thank you for the replacement.

Debby1 thank you for the smile your lovely red bird card and seeds gave me. I really want to grow the delicata squash YUM and I just love pink zinnias. Thank you!

Browneyed susan sent a very nice poinsetta card which is my favorite Christmas decoration. Thank you for the verbenia bonariensis, the butterflys and I love, love, love these.

I will be away from my computer for a week but will be sure to check back ASAP.

my card guess is 1841.

• riley17
    12 years ago

Hello! The last few days I got some beautiful cards in the mail! Thank you Smitties for the cotton! I am so excited to try to grow this! Thank you to Jaynine for the san marzano tomato (sounds yummy!) cabbage red acre, and salad bowl lettuce! Thank you to comfrey comfort for the alaska, black cherry, black from tula (ooh sounds interesting!), azoychka (ooh!), and san francisco fog tomato varieties! I've never heard of any of those, but they sound great! I love trying new varieties!

~Holly

• neohippie
    12 years ago

Thank you Don for the beans! I'm especially excited about the lima beans. I hope they can take the extreme heat down here.

• clc70
    12 years ago

Thanks Imogene for the nice card and columbine mix.I have lots of shady areas for these little babies.

• amoeba-meba
    12 years ago

More cards this morning!

Paulan70 sent me 3 varieties of tomatoes: Black Cherry, Yellow Pear and Giant Red Cherry. This will be my first attempt at growing veggies. Can't wait!

BrownEyedSusan sent me White Japanese Anemone. So pretty!

I'm amazed by everyone's generosity. Thank you all!

• dem_pa
    12 years ago

My guess is 915.

Don

• comfreycomfort
    12 years ago

My guess is 1024.

Also, I got my 4th card today - this time from Canyonwind. Beautiful card with nice message with hyssop and anise seeds inside - two I really wanted. Thank you so much.

• SalsaCanner
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the Christmas cards and seeds. Will be planning my garden during the holidays.

Michelle sent a big bunch Four o'clock mix seeds
    Cris barefootgardener12 sent a pepper assortment, great for salsa
    Paula Paulan70 sent cilantro, black krim and black tomato seeds
    Flowergirl34 sent Asiatic Oriental Lily Mix

Merry Christmas and the very best of Holidays to all.
    SalsaCanner

• molly_and_me
    12 years ago

My guess for the number of cards is 1959.

Margaret

• Rudolph25
    12 years ago

My guess for the amount of seeds sent is 2,525. I know that sounds WAY too high, considering what others guessed, but I did some figuring in my head, according to the amount of people on the address list, and took a wild guess on what people sent...so that's what I came up with, LOL
    Received two more beautiful cards from:
    Flowergirl34...Carrots, (Danver's half-long)..my husband wanted those, so he thanks you too!
    and...Crazy Daisy!! Yay!! Been curious to what those are, and what they look like! Can't wait to see them grow!!
    Loved the "grooving" snowmen, too, on the card!!
    Also, from dan_the_mailman...
    I received a generous amount of catnip, enclosed in a jolly card with Santa and his reindeer! Noel and Tiger, (my cats), are really loving this seed swap!
    Thank you both so much!!

• redthreaddiy
    12 years ago

My guess is an even 1,000 cards :)

oooh... someone got a tulip tree? What is THAT? It sounds AMAZING! :D

• barefootgardner12
    12 years ago

Thank you to:

gardendad: Tomato 'Thessaloniki', 'Red Curant', 'Gold Currant', 'Oregon Spring', 'Porter Improved' and 'Rutgers'.
    Bush Beans: 'Pencil Pod'
    Radish: 'Purple Plum'
    Garlic Chives
    White Pumpkin
    Eggplant 'Black Beauty'
    Calendula Yellow
    Thank you so much! All seeds were neatly packaged into a pretty card. The card has Santa offering a wee gift to a small bird in a tree! Very cute.

mchill320: Luffa!!! Thank you so much!

• habitat_gardener
    12 years ago

redthreaddiy, I missed seeing the tulip tree, but it can be either

-- a pink saucer magnolia, a fragrant and gorgeous tree with huge flowers, or

-- one of the biggest trees east of the rockies, with prehistoric green, yellow, and orange flowers. When I was a kid, the trunk was so wide it took 5 of us to hug a huge one in my aunt's backyard.

• perkybarb
    12 years ago

Received two lovely cards and seeds today.
    Bea/GraanieB thanks so much for the cute card and seeds.
    Grace/Celeegra your card is great and the seeds are wonderful.
    Thanks to both of you and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.
    Barbara C./PerkyBarb Zone 6 Fairfield, ohio

• NancyPlants
    12 years ago

redthreaddiy, here is a pic of the tulip poplar in my backyard:

I dont know if this is the same tree that was listed here in the santa swap. I really enjoy our tulip tree :)

• karendee
    12 years ago

Thank you Flowergirl34 for the columbine and the crazy daisy.

Both are what I needed!

• redthreaddiy
    12 years ago

Thanks for the clarification of the tulip tree - we have a magnolia tree in our front yard, but the super gigantor tree sounds AWESOME! If only I had never-ending land - I'd grow EVERYTHING! haha

• barefootgardner12
    12 years ago

Thank you nancyplants for posting the picture. That is the Tulip Tree I shared in this swap. It is from a tree in my daughter's yard. The beauty of the tree is the large, beautiful blooms, which resemble tulips. I have more if anyone is interested. Please e-mail me privately. I will do SASBE.

• celeegra
    12 years ago

Hurrah! Another card!

From Debby-1, a sweet cardinal card w/ cosmos bright lights mix & daylily red magic.

i'm so excited for my field of cosmos next year!
    Thank you! grace

• redthreaddiy
    12 years ago

I got 2 new cards!

Keiki (Robin) sent 3 varieties:
    - Red Sugar Apple (OMG - I have NEVER heard of these. I looked them up and am BEYOND excited to start them. They look SO COOL!!! I am so, so so grateful for these!!!)
    - Clitoria ternatea - blue pea vine (These have been on my want list for some time, and now I finally have them!!! The flowers are really bizarre. I can't wait!!)
    - Salvia coccinea - pink (have never tried this variety of salvia before!!!)
    Thank you SO MUCH keiki! These are REALLY cool - it's almost like you knew EXACTLY what I'd love!! Thanks so much for the thoughtfulness. I am so happy to hear that the peppers are producing well already! It made me smile when I read that. Apparently they are perennials in your state, so that's pretty awesome! :)

Neohippie sent a card with an adorable bat on the front! How did you know I loved bats so much?? I can see him smiling at me out of the corner of my eye while I type out this thank you :) She sent 4 varieties of seeds:
    - Ornamental Eggplant 'Pumpkin on a Stick' (I have ALWAYS wanted to try this variety! These are hard to find in stores. I can't wait to see what they look like in person!)
    - Eggplant 'Black Beauty' (For some reason, the black beauty seeds that I bought came out looking like oriental eggplants, so I am happy that I have some fresh seeds to try again!)
    - Collards 'Vates' (YES! I do not have this variety - super excited!)
    - Tomato 'Hawkins Plum' (Don't have this variety either - sounds delicious!!!)
    Thank you for being so awesome! I will start all of the seeds this spring and will continue to save seeds from them forever! :)

Thank you both so much for sending these wonderful seeds :) I love them all!

• perkybarb
    12 years ago

Received a very pretty card from Ilovefarac/Melinda today along with Waltham Butternut Seeds. I can taste those squash already.
    Thanks so much Melinda and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours!
    Barbara C. PerkyBarb