Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_b_kodiak

12 month seed swap December

beth_b_kodiak
17 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm back using the library computer again. My phone has been dead since Wed and the soonest they can send someone to repair it is Sunday. Guess there are some real benefits to living closer to civilization.

This is the last month for our swap. The year has flown and I have gotten some terrific seeds. Bet that you have too. It will be nice next summer to see what we grow from this year long swap.

Hope everyone is well and that everyone has a great holiday season.

Jeanette, I'll be mailing a combined package for Nov and Dec. I know you are not worried about it but Time has just gotten away from me and it is beyond an excuse.

Thanks to all for your participation and for your faithfulness in sending your seeds to your partner.

Beth B

Comments (43)

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Kathy, I just got your seeds back, so I will send double this month but I need a good zip the one I have didn't work says insufficant address. sorry hugs

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Hi Carol,

My zip is 79706. No worry about the delay. I joined two really great robins in November and got two batches of great seeds.

Kathy

• atravers
    17 years ago

Mellen,
    I'm sending out your last seed packet tomorrow. I'm not happy about that because I've enjoyed sending seeds to you all year long and will miss sending seeds to you. Best wishes to you and your family during this holiday season.
    Ann

• dee8
    17 years ago

boy did i miss out on a good thing!!!!!

i don't get to come here that much and i wish that i could have been in on this one.. but may ya'll will let me in on the next one???? pleeeeeeeese

deb

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Beth--not worried in the least--you always take good care of me;)
    Bonnie--Hope you received Nov seeds and stuff--haven't heard from you-they were sent out Nov 20th-I know we are all soooo busy right now!!
    Too bad we can't just keep this swap going with a reverse of who sends to whom--that would be a great way to 'play it back'!!
    We have such a GREAT GROUP!!!!
    Better get off here and head home--y'all have a wonderful evening!
    Jeanette

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Darlene, your last batch of seeds is on its way. Hope you like them. I've really enjoyed sending you the seeds.

Well, I didn't receive seeds last month and I think the month before. But I'm almost sure the person who was supposed to send to me hasn't been receiving any herself. Too bad so many dropped out and left the rest of us hanging. If I wasn't in the Christmas spirit I would go to the rating forum and give them a bad rating for 'stick to it'ness'. âº

Bless all of you that have stayed with us and sent seeds.
    Hope to see you on the forums,
    Sharon

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Checking back to the August posts, it shows that Patty was supposed to send to Tina and Tina was to send to Sharon.
    I'll contact each of them and see if I can get a response. I do still see Tina on the forum but don't see much from Patty.
    Sharon and the rest of you.... thanks for your patience and faithfulness.
    Beth B

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Sharon - You received for OCtober. It was right at the beginning of the month. Please forgive me for not sending Novembers out on time. I am doubling up for Nov. and Dec.

For the first 3 or 4 months, I received faithfully, then nothing. Then Patty was to send to me, and nothing, then she doubled up one month, and then nothing again.

I am sincerely sorry for not posting that I was going to double up for Dec Sharon. Even though we have more seeds than we do brains, it's still nice to receive that envie in the mail isn't it. I will send you a very nice package for December.

My apologies to Beth as well.

Tina

• pattygrow5
    17 years ago

I got my seeds from Kathy thanks they are always very special I love all the little special things you send me. Tina I have last months seeds had no internet access I couldn't get your address I will send them with Decembers. Happy Holidays to all.By the way Beth thanks for all your hard work. Patty

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, Y'all this little swap is dear to my heart because seeds are one of my very favorite things. So much promise in such a tiny package.
    Thanks to all for participating and for the quick replies. I hope all our computers and phone lines will behave themselves for a while. I take it for granted until it is not there.

• veeja11
    17 years ago

Thankyou Kathy will get those out soon. Cassie I missed you in nov are you ok?hugs

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

TINA

I want to apologize for making it see like I was upset at you! Actually, I'm not upset at all ... it's only seeds. I'm so sorry it came out like I was talking about you. I thought I had read you hadn't been receiving any seeds and I could understand how that makes it hard to be the one to keep sending. I've received most of my seeds this year, only a couple months where nothing was sent, and that was due to the first person sending to me.

I didn't mean to point to anyone, just talking in general, for all who have gone without their seeds.

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't have said anything. Just wanted to express an opinion about something that happens with most long swaps.

I do think the best part of this swap was the 'sending of the seeds'.

My apologies to all of you who I have upset with my previous post ... I would delete it if I could.

Sharon

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Darn, I was so upset about upsetting Tina I forgot to say what I came here to say. (chuckle)

Darlene, your card and seeds are on their way! Mele Kalikimaka Everyone
    (Merry Christmas in Hawaiian)

Sharon

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Sharon - I am not one bit upset with you. And you didn't hurt my feelings. I completely understand!
    There is NO NEED for YOU to apologize for ANYTHING!!!!

I would send whether I received or not. Time just got the best of me last month (no excuse!).

I think I have received maybe 6 times throughout this swap. But like I said before, I have more seeds now than I know what to do with. So, no harm no foul :-)

I hope you will like the seeds I send this month. Will also include Novembers seeds. Thank you for being so patient with me!

About not saying anything at all....... speak your mind! It keeps everyone on their toes! :-)

Hugs,
    Tina

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Jeanette..
    Gosh, I am so very sorry to keep you wondering.
    My brain doesn't work sometimes and I am not used to working 60+ hours a week , so I apologize for not mentioning that I did infact receive your latest package.
    I tell ya......the cinnamon tea bags smell so good , in the package you sent with the potholder and seeds.
    I have never grown "Bells of Ireland" before..so it should be fun to grow them next to my Landy's Mantle which also is a bit green when it blooms.
    Jeanette, I have appreciated receiving all the seeds and goodies you've sent. I've not always been diligent in sending or receiving and thanking my swap partners for everything they do for me..but I really do love the packages when they come and wish you could see my face when I open the envelope or package.
    I truly thank you for your faithfulness...

Bonnie

• mellen
    17 years ago

Ann, I received your wonderful package of seeds and gift. WOW is all I can say. Again, you sent my wishes of tiger-flowered coreopsis and milk chocolate foxglove. I will always think of you when these are growing. Then to top it off, I could hardly believe my eyes when I pulled out the tremendous gift certificate to Thompson and Morgan seed catalog. Along with your certificate, I see that I can get an extra $10 of seeds for free with my order! WOOHOO!!!!! I am in seed heaven, Ann! I want to thank you for ALL of this. I am WAY excited!!! I also want to thank you for being the best partner a person could ever hope to have. I never gave it a second thought that you wouldn't come through, and you always sent the most wonderful selection of seeds. I am very grateful and blessed that you were my partner this past year. Thank you from the very bottom of my heart, Ann, for all of your thoughtfulness and caring. You're the best. I hope I can return in kind someday. (((Hugs))), Mary Ellen

• mellen
    17 years ago

Beth, your package will be going out tomorrow(Tuesday.) Mary Ellen

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Pattygrow5, I sent your last package of seeds on Monday, the 11th. Hope you and yours have a very wonderful holiday.

Kathy

• gardnwatch
    17 years ago

Ann,
    I sent you a small package today to finish off our swap.
    I've enjoyed this swap very much. There have been very friendly people this time and you have been at the top of the list for being one of the best. Thank you so much for your patience with my lateness at times and your appreciation for the seeds I have sent.
    Enjoy the seeds, I do hope they all will grow for you and give you a garden that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Happy Holidays to you ....
    Bonnie

• darlene87
    17 years ago

Sharon: your seeds and cute hawaiian christmas card came awhile ago. I had cataract surgery Dec. 5, and now have a purle eyeball and a huge shiner. On top of it I picked up the flu at the hosp. the same day. So I have been in bed most of the time trying to get well. Also I have double vision until I get the other eye operated on in March. So I use one eye only, and with that, I see shadows on everything. Getting over the flu and just recovering, have not done one iota of Christmas shopping. I have done the cards though. Sharon, I want to thank you for the nice selection of seeds that you sent, especially the heirloom tomatoe seeds, which we plant every year. Hubby's prize one this yr: a pink brandywine that was 2 lb. 1 oz. I love the taste of heirlooms! Sharon: have a great christmas season, and a super good year next year. Sorry if I mispell or don't make sense, my head is still fuzzy.
    Darlene

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Darlene, sorry you haven't been feeling well on top of your surguries. Wish I had know, I would have sent a funny get well card.
    Glad you like the seeds.
    sharon

• atravers
    17 years ago

Dear Bonnie,
    I received your thoughtful package today. The garden in a bag lavender is lovely - my mother's favorite plant. I will enjoy sowing these seeds indoors early spring and think of you as I do. The plant fertilizer stakes are great! I've brought so many plants indoors for winter I need as much help as I can get to keep them going until next summer. And the sweet little stocking with chocolates is much appreciated too. You've been a wonderful exchange partner and I wish you the best too for the new year ahead. Thank you again for all the fabulous seeds and goodies you've sent over the year.
    Ann

• veeja11
    17 years ago

I received a christmas box from my pal cassie today 6 seed pkgs a christmas pillow, candle and candy, Thankyou Cassie you have been a great pal. Kathy I am waiting for a couple of things to come in, then will get your pkg off Cassie do you happen to have the # for my parks seeds? I lost it. I will miss this swap, thankyou for a great swap miss Beth, going to Arizona, don't miss Sedona, I lived there 20 yrs it is beautiful hugs to allCarol

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi All!!
    Looks like this swap is finishing up very nicely. What a great bunch of gardeners. I have had the pleasure of meeting three of you in person and that is an extra special pleasure.
    Jeanette I sure hope all is well there in Iowa. I have mailed you a small package that should arrive in a day or two.
    Mellen, your package arrived, I believe on Saturday and it is an awesome collection of seeds.
    Mellen sent evening primrose in white "Innocence" I love primrose and had just yellow ones.
    Perennial Stokes aster. I have seen pictures but don't have this,
    Snapdragon lipstick silver, sounds so pretty
    Scabiosa, Ping Pong
    Black eyed Susan Vine Sunrise Surprise
    Cone flower Bravado ( I don't have ANY cone flowersright now)
    Dianthus velvet and lace... that sounds beautiful
    Coleus, black dragon I had this a couple years ago and loved it.
    Sunflowers Pacino and Luna will be super additions to my collection of SF
    Rudbeckia green Wizard, and cosmos Campsis yellow
    Paper daisy Roseum Goliath
    Another neat coleus, Exebition Palisandra
    Easter egg plant and black beauty Egg Plant.
    Some of these I need to look up but I'm anxious to see them growinmg in my yard. Just need to pick the best place.
    Thanks so much Mellen you have been a generous and faithful pal.
    OK Carol, I'll add Sedona to my list. It does not look too far from Grand Canyon. I think My Daughter liked Sedona too.
    Hugs and Merry Christmas to all.
    Beth B

• mellen
    17 years ago

Beth, I have enjoyed sending to you this year. Thank you for setting up this exchange. It was a lot of fun and a wonderful way to be able to supply people with seeds that they may be wanting and to receive seeds that we have been wanting. Have a very Merry Christmas and blessed New Year. Mary Ellen

• cassiet
    17 years ago

Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas!!! Darlene I got your wonderful package with sooo many seed packs. I have enjoyed this swap and all my wonderful packages from Darlene, her recipes and lovely little notes. Carol, I sent you an email with the information about the gift certificate. I didn't know you didn't get your package for Nov. I haven't been able to get on for a long time. I also put this in the email. Just your email for the information

Merry Christmas to everyone and Happy New Year

Cassie

• rudybacon
    17 years ago

Veeja11,

Received my package from you and was very happy with all of the wonderful seeds you sent. Now I can't wait to get them planted. Our weather for the most part has been in the 60s and 70s so I already have Spring fever.

You have been a wonderful secret pal and I thank you for all the seeds over this past year.

Kathy

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Sharon - Lagging behind here, but haven't forgotten you :-)

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

Tina- Your package arrived on my doorstep last night. I didn't know what it was, but immediately thought it had to be yours from some 'ongoing' swap for the group.
    Evidently there was some mixup and Patty must have lost your addy, and gotten mine from someone.
    There's packets for October, November, & December in there.
    I think I have your addy from the OBF guidelines/member info that was sent to me, so I'll put that in today's mail for you. Have other stuff to go to the PO anyway.
    -T2

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Tina - Thanks so much. I'll reimberse you postage. She e-mailed me and asked for my address and I e-mailed it back, so I have no idea why it was sent to you.
    Sorry about the confusion.
    Thanks so much!

T1

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

don't worry about the postage. I'll hit you up for some seeds later when I'm in withdrawal again...got my fix already today at Walmart, where they just put up the Burpee display :)

• pattygrow5
    17 years ago

Hi Kathy I did get my seeds for December Thank you you have been a great pal have a Happy Happy New Year. Tina1 I am not always on time but I always catch up I was mailing a bunch of seeds and I wanted to get yours out too I looked in my address book and found Tina2 address thought it was yours so I sent them when you did send your address I realized it was a mistake and did a post looking for Tina2 and Tina2 I still will be sending you postage and some special seeds like I offered thanks for being so nice. Tina1 I may not have mailed on time but I have sent you seeds for every month I was your pal. I was Shannons pal to start this swap and always on time.The turn around month was my idea and thats when she dropped out I never did get seeds that month. Sorry if I haven't been the perfect partner I work 40 hours a week and have a 16 year old who I spend many hours chaparoning with her marching band I don't have enough hours in the day.Hope you enjoy your seeds Merry belated Christmas and Happy New Year!!

• number_1_angel
    17 years ago

Hey--Hello all--I am TRYING to use the libraries comp--ICK!!! everything keeps disappearing--or won't let me enter or send!
    Going to try 1 more time--things are not so good right now here in Iowa Beth--but I had a good interview yesterday--will update later--I did not recieve a pkg from you Beth for Dec--you mailed it-according to your post on the 20th-and I lost my job that day--my wonderful mailman used to deliver my mail to the office--so-- it might be there--but I can't get it--I am sending Bonnies out by sat--I had it on my desk to mail-but-don't know if it went out or not--so-I know its late and I do apologize--but s%#* happens and sometimes we have no control over it!!!
    I sure miss everyone and will be back asap!!! Hopefully NOT here at the library!!
    TTYS
    Jeanette

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Well, Hi there everyone. I was surprised to see this post still up on page one! LOL

I hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve!

Patty, I know what you mean about a child in Marching Band! People have no idea how many hours these kids practice. Way more than our Football team. Thank goodness our Marching Band finishes it's season at the beginning of Nov. Then after that, they just do a few other parades, special performances for the middle and elementary schools. I know some bands travel to other states and ect., but we are a small band in a small town.

Tina 1, don't worry about the seeds, I've plenty. I've even begun starting some in the basement ... way too early I know. Well, they are only the perennial ones, so thats not too bad. LOL

Off to go check on those seedlings.
    sharon

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon,I keep waiting for this thread to disappear onto page two also, but it keeps popping back up again. Like one of those drunken clown dolls LOL
    I have planted a lot of the seeds from my buddy as winter sow seeds. That has worked well for me, even in AK and lets me get flowers and perennials out of the way so I can concentrate on Veggies in March and April.
    The swap was a lot of fun last year and I hope everyone finds ways to enjoy the seeds and flowers for years to come.
    BB

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

So Sharon - I'm reading your message, and then get down to the part of "Tina, don't worry about the seeds". WHAT? I think......?
    So, my only excuse is, I have a VERY forgetful hubby that STILL has your envie sitting in the visor of the van WAITING to be mailed!!!
    I am SO SORRY!!!
    He is too, Lol
    I will get these out ASAP!

Forgive us?

Tina

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Tina, I'm chuckling in my coffee!

I think my hubby would do the same thing. :o)

I'm excited now to get what will be my last delivery of seeds this spring!

My geraniums that I'm growing from seed are growing gangbusters in the basement. I grew them last year and was very happy with the result. I did terrible on taking cuttings from an older geranium. The seeds work out so much better for me. I guess seeds are my forte.

sharon

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OH Sharon I can send you LOTS more seeds. LOTS of people can send you more seeds.Hahahaha, Never say "MY LAST" in reference to seeds,or chocolate or anything like that.
    It can be dangerous.
    I've have not tried geraniums from seed in over 20 years.It was total fiasco then. Glad to hear it works for you. I may try it again someday. Maybe when I get a house with two sun rooms. The one here is already overflowing.

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Beth, OMG, this was on the (gasp) second page!!!!

NO! Can't let that happen!

You were right! Turns out I'm probably going in with several people to get those expensive Australian Delphinium seeds ... I hope, I hope, I hope!

I promise to let this post go into oblivion. ...smiles...
    sharon

• hummingbirddaisy
    17 years ago

Sharon - Your seeds are ON THEIR WAY!!! LOL
    I went through it and added some and took out some and redid it a bit. I hope you like the seeds I sent and I hope they do wonderful for you.
    Thank you for beig such a wonderful pal and for having the patience to put up with me! LoL
    You are a great lady.

Thank you Beth for hosting this RR. I did have alot of fun with it! I got some seeds that I really wanted and got to meet a few new gardeners! Thats always the best part.

Wishing each of you a garden filled with blooms and memories for 2007!

Tina

• beth_b_kodiak
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sharon, you mean the ones on the back of the T&M catalog??? Oh, they are so gorgeous. I'm green with envy! In Kodiak it would be OK but here in MD they will NOT survive the summer heat.
    it's OK here and I like the area BUT.... I get so homesick for Alaska. i really miss the snow. I know most of the country has "too much" right now but in AK it never seemed like "too much"

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Tina, thanks for letting me know. You've got me waiting on pins and needles now cause you know it is almost prime seed starting season! Yahoo!

Beth, Another person is supposed to order seeds from Dowdeswell's Delphiniums Ltd (you can look them up on the web and salivate). Since they require you order 50 seeds of each type, she was looking for a couple of people to go in with her. She said she would get back to me toward the end of Feb, since that is when this company's new seed crop ripens. I'm really hoping this goes through.

I've been having trouble with dampening off this year and I've been reading up on it since delphs are very prone to it.

I've only grown the Delph's for a couple years and only a couple each year. They are iffy here. Seems like 1/2 don't come back the next year. We get pretty hot and humid here in Aug. But our cottage is in zone 5 and a much cooler area so I'm hoping I can get some of them to be perinneal there. :o)

Your squirrel swap is so funny, I stop there often. I NEED a life! LOL
    sharon

• toomanyanimals
    17 years ago

Tina, I got the seeds! Thank you so much. Some I've really been wanting for a while. Both the Larkspur I'm very excited about and the lupine, aster , morning glory and heuchera I'm definitely going to try planting.

sharon