Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncgardengirl_gw

UPDATE: bday bash new year and games celebration

ncgardengirl
15 years ago

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2009 Birthday Bashers!

May it be fill with GOOD HEALTH, LOTS OF LOVE, FAMILY, FRIENDS, and GOOD FORTUNE and MAY YOUR GARDENS PROSPER!!!!

Comments (151)

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Does it bloom more than once a year?

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

1. Is it a perennial??? yes (tender above zone 7?)
    2. Does it have colorful or unusual foliage? NO (NOT COLORED FOLIAGE)
    3. Are there many varieties? No
    4. Does it bloom more than once a year? Yes

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nikki, thank you. Sorry you are having so many issues, life always seems to be full of ups and downs huh?
    How was it going back to school after your break? Is it as hard for you to get back to it as it is the students?
    Bunny, you seem to be the only one playing huh? You asking some very good questions, the last one of which I had to go comfirm what I was thinking BEFORE I anwsered...the other one I managed to READ it wrong heavens to Betsy Ross!
    I have been working on my other project for you, hehe.

Ok, well, come on ya'll PLAY!!!

:) Fran

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was wondering if you would like for me to post the partners or who you are sending to this week.
    Also would like to know if you want it to be a Secret Cupid Swap like we did for the Secret Santa? Then I will just email you and let you know who to send to.

Is there ANYONE who WISHES NOT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CUPID SWAP?

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Secret sounds good to me, Fran! I love surprises!! :O)

Question: Does it grow taller than 12"?

I woke up with some bug this morning, I'm aching all over and running a bit of a fever. *sigh* I hope it's just tired-ness, maybe? Over-working myself a bit, perhaps.
    Anyway....I wanted to pop in here while the baby was sleeping. The boys have all gone camping for the night (BRRRR!!!! But they wanted to do some "polar" camping...I think they're NUTS!!) And the girls are over at Grandma's, so it's just Lili & me tonight. Some quiet time, and maybe I'll get to rest and start feeling better.

If it's not one thing, it's another, huh?? LOL

• galium
    15 years ago

Fran-Great story about the name Lili. Gosh you brought tears to my eyes with the story about Katie. I'm always touched when I hear stories like that.

Question-Is it a shrub?

What will the Cupid Swap entail? I'm really short on cash.

I went to the YMCA this morning. Because of all the problems I have with my body I've started with the Senior Shape-Up program. Boy was I sore when I got home. Out came the frozen bags of peas so I could ice pack my shoulders.LL
    Hugs to everyone,
    Mariann

• wynative
    15 years ago

We finally got an inch of snow over night. Yippy! Then the wind blew it to Nebraska :(

I had a 'wrong number' call this morning. Of course I talked to the gentleman for almost an hour LOL It is such a small world... He and his wife are semi-retired and live in Orange Beach, Alabama. His GreatGrandFather was the first Mayor of a small town, Lebanon Nebraska, it's about 1 1/2 hours from me. By the time we were finished talking, Meg & I have been invited to visit, attend their church and he will take us fishing in the Gulf!! He is adding us to the prayer circle so that I will find a job and be able to visit this summer LOL What a great way to start my week talking to such a nice person!

Vic - Thanks for suggesting USA - I will do a search and see. Bummer about Max... but it sounds to me that it may be just towards adults? and he is protective towards Zack.

Mariann - I can't have dial up because you have to have a land line telephone. The only company we can have here is Sprint and I wont use them. About 7 years ago I called and had them come out to put in a new line to the house I live in - never had one before as it was a new set up. After 2 months of waiting they finally showed up.... They hooked up one end of the cable to the neighbors pole (1/4 mile away) leaving it laying on the ground across one of his fields, the county road, my outer yard and the grass yard. Then they left without even conecting it to my house! I splissed the wire and my daughter used it to call her little friend down the way, one time. Within 2 days - the cable had been ran over so many times on the county road that it didn't work any more and I recieved a $2800 bill for the first 2 weeks. I am so glad that I took pictures - because even after countless phone call's from myself and the neighbor telling them they needed to bury it so he could plant and sending them copies of the pic's - their lawyers insisted that I owed them over $30,000 for long distance charges in a 5 month period :( But Verizon works better and is MUCH less expensive :) Can't beat unlimited texting & calling with a teenager!

Quilting- oh ya, you need to try it!! For really great FREE patterns go to 'Quilters Cache'. They have just about everything and the instructions are well layed out. The little tack pin's that are next to the names are how hard they are - 1 yellow pin being the easiest. I have done some 2 pin's but mostly 1 pin. I saw one that has 3 red pins and thought "I can do that, it looks easy." Oooopppps no way What a disaster that was! LOL Also if you go to the Home Forum and look for the Quilting forum - the ladies & guys there are so helpful!

Fran - what a warm and touching story... sniff, sniff :)

Melissa - the picture of Lili in the doll stroller brings back memories :) Meg had a cat - Tigger that we got before his eyes were open. He was just a little spoiled and would take naps in her old car seat and she would give him bottles of milk & a doll passifier to help him sleep! Be careful that Adora doesn't try to take her for a stroll - my son wanted to do that with Meg the day I brought her home!

Adora will be fine, you are doing the right stuff. Megs brother was 9 & thought he won the lottery when she arrived!! He would bathe her, feed her, change her, and pretty much, I would have to ask if I was allowed to hold her! That was his way of me not spoiler her to much or he told his friends. UNTIL..... she walked!! Her first steps were to her big brother. (He was laying on the floor and I had just taken her diaper off for her bath) She tottled over & sat down on his head to get his attention. LOL The next morning his first words were, "Is adoption still an option, Mom?" They fought something awful until he left home and now get along wonderfully again.

I have never done one but I would love to make a 'Lili' block! Any certain colors?? Applique is a lot easier than it looks. Just cut out your pieces, put double sided iron on stuff on the back, arrange them till you think they are perfect, iron on to the block and sew. I do mine by hand cause it look's neater than when I use the machine.

I finished my oldest sister's birthday quilt! My baby sister and I plan to take it up to her at the end of them month.
    {{gwi:1317403}}
    It is all hand quited and sewed.

Have a great week everyone!!
    :)Marie

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

5. Does it grow taller than 12"? Yes
    6. Is it a shrub? No

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    I just received some great seeds from Fran which I am feeling very guilty about since I cheated to win!! I now have to try and make them germinate sO I can show Fran I am not totally incompetant.
    Thanks Fran.
    diene

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow Marie, I wish I did have the patients to make a quilt I will one day! It is my goal to make at least one in my lifetime, although it MIGHT take me a lifetime to either get STARTED or to finish ONCE I START...hehe.

Kids are too funny.

Bunny, I hate you are feeling bad. Make sure you load up on vitamin C. Nice the kids are all gone, too bad you feel bad. It is neat to be home alone with just the baby isn't it?
    BTW I THINK they are crazy too, not me....way TOO cold for that!

Mariann, the Cupid Swap is:
    CUPID Valentine's FEB. SWAP
    Seeds with the names _____included in their titles:
    Cupid
    Heart
    Love
    Valentine
    Pink Flowing
    Red Flowering
    Flowers
    Veggies
    Homemade card
    Ok is that it? If anyone can think of something else to include then let me know.
    OK, IF you choose to include other items that is entirely up to you and in no way is required. This is something that is meant to be fun for us, friendship oriented, and non-costly, so if a homecard and seeds are all you can do then please only do this. We all understand, and WE PICKED THIS IDEA to do and AGREED TO DO IT CHEAPLY!
    DO NOT FORGET TO INCLUDE A HOMEMADE CARD, THIS CAN BE ANYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF. FANCY, FRILLY, A PIECE OF PAPER WITH HEARTS ON IT. WHATEVER YOU CAN DO, CHEAP AND EASY. HOWEVER YOU CHOOSE....ALSO WE HAVE THE WHOLE MONTH OF FEBRUARY TO SEND THIS IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE THERE BEFORE FEB. 14 IT IS JUST THE THEME WE ARE USING. OK?

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No diene, you didn't cheat, I had already said that ya'll could work together if you wanted but would have to fight over the prize...lol.
    I do hope you grow them out. I think you will be pleased with them it you do.

I hope they look as good as all the hype about them makes them seem!

• galium
    15 years ago

Fran-I'll have to look at my seeds and see if any have those names.

Question-Is this plant valued for it's flowers?
    Mariann

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Question: Is it collectible? (ie: are there groups devoted to collecting just THIS plant?)

I'm feeling a bit better this morning. Still achy, but the fever is gone. Been drinking Emergen-C like crazy, so maybe that'll help. :O)

I can NOT believe my boys are still out camping! It is 15 degrees here this morning!! BRRRRRR! And there are some snow flurries where they are camping out. Gosh, I really would've expected them home by now! LOL

Marie~ I have been doing pinks & yellows for Lili. Her grandma crocheted her a yellow afghan (which I love, but don't use the crocheted ones until the babies are a bit older, because they like to get their hands & feet caught in them! LOL)
    And the quilt you made for your sister is GORGEOUS! I love seeing all your designs! Wow, I wish we lived closer, so I could come visit & get some ideas firsthand! :O)

Mariann~ How are you feeling? Is everything OK in your neck of the woods?

Vic~ How 'bout you? Everything going OK?

Diene~ You didn't cheat, you simply got some "assistance". :O) I hope you have success with your seeds!

Where's Miss Kym? And Deb? How are our other ladies doing??

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Good Morning everyone !! I am still on a borrowed computer, and I do come and read, just dont always post.

Bunny, glad to hear you are feeling a bit better ! There has been so much going around, and even people that dont go out and about have been getting hit...YUCK !

How is Adora doing, is she adjusting any better ? My friend had trouble for awhile, but one thing helped was to get her daughter a "new" baby too, with diapers, and etc..and she use to have her daughter diaper, when she was diapering, feed...when she was feeding, etc.

Diene, I hope you do well with the seeds and will be posting pictures of them this summer !

Marie, that quilt is just breath taking...and by hand ...WOW ! I use to want to learn how to quilt, they actually have a quilting store here in town, and they have classes..maybe when my kids are grown !

Marianne, how are you ? I hope you and hubby are feeling better !

Deb, has life settled down any for you ?

Diene, Are you getting alot of snow up there too ? We are going to be in the single digits the rest of the week, high will only be 10 degrees. Its been a few years since we have had such a cold, snowy winter here.

Marianne, we arent restricted to only those names for the Vday swap, I think Fran was just giving suggestions...it could be something pink, white, red....anything you think might have to do with the VDAY theme. I would even say Chocolate flowers would work, as we all give out so much chocolate on Valentines day.

Ok, I have a ton of stuff needing done, and here I sit. Wishing you all a wonderful day !

Kym

• wynative
    15 years ago

Thanks for oohing & aahing over my quilt, Ladies. It took a REALLY long time to finish but it was worth it.

Melissa - I'm getting idea's and putting some to paper...... yellow lilys are one of my favorite flowers - so bright and cheery!

I need to get back to my quilts, been goofing off all morning :)
    Marie

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

6. Is it a shrub? No
    7. Is this plant valued for it's flowers? Sometimes
    8. Is it collectible? YES, not by groups per se

ABOUT THE VALENTINES/CUPID SWAP Kym is correct in her suggestion as well chocolate named or scented flowers would be welcomed too.

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

AND YES, you can also include red, pink, or white blooming seeds.
    Forgot to add this

• diene
    15 years ago

Hello All;
    Yes Kym, we are starting our second storm of the week this evening, we had 8 inches on Sat/Sun and then about an inch and a half on Monday (I hate the little storms as they are just as much work for no gain).
    Tonight they are threatening ice which I hate. I would rather have three feet of snow than one inch of ice but it is winter and you can't always get what you want.
    DH is on a business trip to Puerto Rico and had the audacity to call last night and give me a weather report. He is flying back tomorrow and if there is a God he will have to spend some quality time in JFK in NY hopefully sleeping on the floor.
    I am not sure I have the requirements for the cupid swap but I can probably put something together if my partner is not too fussy.
    If you are going to be sticklers on it, I will gracefully decline to join.
    Let me know.
    diene

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good Grief diene, you should know by now we are not rules people...we just like to swap, LOL.
    It is meant to be fun, and I am sure you can find something to include and if you don't have time to make a card then you can purchase one, BUT the reason for a homemade one was because we where trying to keep it cheap.
    It is just fun to share.
    Puerto Rico huh? Gosh that would have been nice, but then coming home to snow would be a BIG bummer! No you wouldn't want DH to sleep on the floor at JFK for real would you?...hehe. He shouldn't have given you a weather report huh? Guess he hasn't heard if Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy OR Don't bit the hand that feeds yah...LOL

Marie, again, I love you quilts and I am gonna get one done someday, maybe I should stay off the puter and start cutting fabic...lol. I KNOW doing them by hand take a LONG time, but they look so much better. I had helped my granny make a couple way back when.
    My daddy made her a quilting frame geeze I wish I had inherited it! It really made quilting by hand SOOO much easier and you didn't have to touch it that much either! I mean like having it in your lap or all over the floor. Just the neatest things.

Bunny did the boys come home POPCYCLES?

Deb, where are you? How r u?

nikki, how's the weather? It is cold here...yuck!

Hey everyone, what's up in your neck of the woods?

• galium
    15 years ago

That is really weird. I posted last night but I guess I forgot to submit.

Question: Is it considered an Herb?

Kym-We are all finished with that terrible cold. Unbelievably I recovered first.

Marie-Your quilt for your sister is beautiful. I did go to the site you recommended. They have so many patterns! My DD also brought over some quilting books she got from her book club. I'm sure I'll find something. I think I'll start with a table runner. When you do the top stitching do you use your sewing machine or do you do it by hand?
    I'll check back later
    Have a good day
    Mariann

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

6. Is it a shrub? No
    9. Is it considered an Herb? NO

• wynative
    15 years ago

Dienne -
    "if there is a God he will have to spend some quality time in JFK in NY hopefully sleeping on the floor"
    Your so funny LOL!

It has been a little chilly here for 2 days but the temps are coming up - 50's & 60's thru Monday. Weird, weird weather. It isn't right that it is warmer in Wyoming than in Arkansas in January...

Melissa - hope your boys are home and warming up!

Mariann - Most of the time I do all my stitches by hand. Unless I am in a hurry (late with a gift!) then I get the machine out. I made my first table runner this year but as I was pressed for time I used the machine and it isn't anything I would let anyone but close family see. Very uneven stitches and off kilter.

Fran - A hand made frame would be awsome. I would love to have one but my house is to small. Maybe later this year - keeping my fingers crossed.

Stay warm all,
    Marie

• galium
    15 years ago

Question-Is it a tree?
    Mariann

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Question: Does it get taller than 36"?

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

6. Is it a shrub? No
    10. Is it a tree ? NO
    11. Does it get taller than 36" ? NO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally got to help with the game !! Is everyone sitting under a warm blanket, or in front of a fire ??? BRRRRRR.

My whole family is sick...this has been a long winter, and still a long ways to go.

I hope all is well with everyone...I have been working on Frans box... and I am looking forward to the Vday card swap.

Kym

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kym, for catching those two questions, GW has been messing up for me today and it hasn't been loading fast it is TAKING forever to open post and by the time I got my DC# posted for the OTHER thread and answered stuff that needed to be answered else where you had it covered...lol

I wish it was warmer, but I am warmer the some of you cause mos of you are in the neg. digits! I thought when you told me it was 18 to 24 degrees I thought it was cold and NOW WE are headed for the single digits!!!!

Our Weather for in the morning:
    It is supposed to be 5 degress in the morning, BUT at least it isn't -5!

Stay warm everybody,

• wynative
    15 years ago

Fran,

I don't mean to brag but our temps through Monday are to be 60+ :)

Stay warm!

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WELL we managed to stay in the double digits last night, it was 10 degrees...LOL.

Not gonna warm up much today either and it is gonna be another cold one tonight.

Thank goodness GW got their act together today, it was making me crazy yesterday and last night.....it was taking forever to even be able to post a reply anywhere on here even with cable internet!

OK so we are up to 11 questions on this game....
    Does ANYONE have an idea yet? Should I start giving BIG clues OR should I let you keep guessing? Humm, now how should we go about this Kym?
    Ahhh, let's keep em guessing what do u say?

HEHE,,,,STAY WARM LADIES!!!

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marie, now that ain't nice....lol.
    I just bask the fact that most of the time I am warmer....lol...
    Enjoy your temps I am sure the cold is lurker near by!

• flwrs4ever
    15 years ago

Ohhhh Sure Marie, Rub it in...LOL We are below zero right now, BRRRRRR ( although I lived in Fla, and missed this weather...LOL Silly me)

Fran, the whole Idea behind the game is to just give yes/no answers, and the closer they get to the 20 questions, they should have a better Idea. SOOO, Keep them guessing...LOL

Can I give a Hint....and say it is one of my fav flowers ?? tee hee, that narrows it down...LOL

Anyone doing anything fun this weekend ?? I am hoping to talk Hubby into taking me to look for some seed racks..what can I do to be nice ??? HMmmmmmmm

Ok, come on....ask Fran another question....keep her busy !! LOL

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Fran! I got my seeds!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! :) You are a sweetie!
    She sent me Cherry Brandy Rudbeckia!!! I have been salivating over this one!
    I'm not sure when it came, I just got it yesterday from the po, for those of you that don't read the PP thread, Someone knocked down a bunch of our mailboxes and we have to go to the po to pick up our mail. Our boxes are all grouped together and on a long "shelf" like board that got plowed down, I'm pretty sure it was an accident, the road was all ice. I hope our box is back up this weekend.

Game question, does it bloom in spring?

Mariann, I'm glad you are feeling better

You too Melissa and your little angel!
    How did the boy's camping trip go?

Marie, I wish I had your talent and patience! That is beautiful!

I can't remember if I posted here or not, but today is day number 5 on quiting smoking! I am doing pretty good so far (except for about 10 lbs I've gained! LOL)

It was over 55 today! I hope it is nice this weekend too!

gonna run,
    Vic

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

6. Is it a shrub? No
    10. Is it a tree ? NO
    12. Does it bloom in spring? Yes
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

Vic I told you I was gonna send you some of those for guessing who I was on eBay!...I asked you if you had ordered them and you never did tell me...so I figured I would just go ahead and send them anyway! LOL.
    Glad you got them.

It is supposed to be 6 degress in the morning....I plan on staying in bed until about NOON! Maybe by then it will have warmed up some!!! This is just too freaking cold, I don't like it and I don't want to do it......

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Hey - I'm just popping in before heading to Macon to see my sister and SIL. I'll have to catch up on reading everyones posts later tonight. Is everybody healthy? Fran, how's your nose? Bunny, is Lil feeling better?
    Hope everyone is staying warm,
    for the mystery,,, Does it grow from a bulb?
    Nik

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

6. Is it a shrub? No
    10. Is it a tree ? NO
    12. Does it bloom in spring? YES
    13. Does it grow from a bulb? NO (not a bulb)

Nikki, honestly I am having a heck of a time with the weather the way it is!!! Taking LOTS of meds...makes me sleepy...UGH!!!

Yes, Bunny how is little Lili? HOW ARE YOU? Did you catch the bug? Did the boys freeze on their outting? WHAT'S GOING ON???? You can't just leave us hanging!

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Sorry, Mama Fran~ Didn't mean to keep you hanging! LOL
    Yep, the boys froze bigtime. :O) They actually came slinking in right after I posted that morning. Hubby crashed on the couch, and didn't move all day. Seems shivering all night is NOT conducive to good sleep. LOL!

Lili is feeling much better, and she's breathing fairly easily now. I still have to watch her at night, and wake her up several times to clean the gunk out. But that's OK...I'm just happy she's doing well. :O)

Question~ Can it grow from seed?color>

How is everyone else doing?? I hope ya'll have had a great weekend so far. I'm trying to get started on my Valentine. Don't know what I'm gonna make, but I've got some ideas. :O)

Stay warm, everyone! (except those with 60 degree temps.... :P to you...!!)

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

6. Is it a shrub? No
    10. Is it a tree ? NO
    14. Can it grow from seed? YES (from what I have read)

• wynative
    15 years ago

Finally thought of a couple questions and may know what it is :)

Question: Does it grow from a tuber?
    Does it bloom all summer?

Vicky - CONGRATES ON THE SMOKING!!! On March 10th of this year it will be 10 YEARS for me :-) I didn't start gaining weight untill last summer though :( hope you have better luck than I have with that part.

It was so nice today that I opened all the windows. I am getting Spring fever something terrible.... the nights are a little chilly.

Marie

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

6. Is it a shrub? No
    10. Is it a tree ? NO
    15. Does it grow from a tuber? YES
    16. Does it bloom all summer? YES

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well Marie, I was hoping I would get to come back and see you had posted what this plant was....lol

Only 5 more questions left and YES I allowed Marie her 2 questions because she has not asked any.

• diene
    15 years ago

My guess would be begonias.

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope sorry diene guess again. That was a good one though...

Ok, where is everyone else. You can either ask a few more question or Guess, anyone?

Hope everyone is warm this wonder day.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

Dahlia?
    Does it begin with the letter D?
    Nik

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does it begin with the letter D? This is truly NOT your question is it Nik? Cuz if it is I will give you a freebie: NO...lol and NO it is not Dahlia either....so GUESS again.. :)

• Vic Billings, MT
    15 years ago

Does it come in red colors???

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Maybe a Calla Lily?

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

6. Is it a shrub? No
    10. Is it a tree ? NO
    15. Does it grow from a tuber? YES
    16. Does it bloom all summer? YES
    17. Does it come in red colors??? YES (?)

Nope Bunny, guess again, I love callas.

This is a plant I would LOVE to have too....I know doesn't help much...

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No more Guesses?

• hazelnutbunny
    15 years ago

Question: Is this a container plant?

Hmmm.
    Guess: Anemone?? (did I spell that right? I can't SAY it, much less spell it...LOL)

• wynative
    15 years ago

My guess is:

~Canna Lily's ~

keeping finger's crossed....

• ncgardengirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope, not that one either Bunny...guess again.

woohoo this thread is DONE.....

Check out the new one.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Birthday Bash Thread